Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  8
Author: Subject: Junípero Serra statues
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2020 at 08:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
i have never seen any monuments in germany glorifying its darkest chapter....however the average german is well aware of what took place.

Watch this, it's about how Germany handles its shameful past. They certainly don't glorify it with statues of the villains nor hide it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phgwn8J-TvM

[Edited on 6-26-2020 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2020 at 09:54 AM

There are several Serra statues in Mexico. One is located in the San Fernando Church in Mexico City. The church is what remains of the Apostolic College of San Fernando that Serra was affiliated with, and that administered the California missions. The second is in the Founders square in Querétaro in front of the Apostolic College of Santa Cruz. It is next to a statue of Antonio Margil de Jesús, who was a missionary affiliated with Santa Cruz and who was on missions in Texas. In my academic writings I have documented the patterns of social control on the California missions and the demographic consequences of the congregation of indigenous peoples on the missions. It was not a pretty picture. At the same time I don’t agree with removing statues. In my view it makes more sense to commission new statues that highlight the indigenous history of California to go alongside the Serra statues.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2020 at 04:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
There is always another side of history that gets shelved if it doesn't fit the narrative. It should be good to know more than one:
How Spain ended genocide in America:
https://www.outono.net/elentir/2017/10/12/spain-did-not-comm...

Lost me at first line: Myths repeated esp. by far-left. Oh OK. Reads like bias, smells like bias.

OK with you, David?

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-26-2020 at 10:25 PM

Juniper Serra Managed/directed the system that imprisoned indigenous people in missions for purpose of forced labor, brainwashing and forced religious conversion.
The Catholic Church made him a saint.
What a sick and twisted church!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2020 at 04:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
There is always another side of history that gets shelved if it doesn't fit the narrative. It should be good to know more than one:

Lost me at first line: Myths repeated esp. by far-left. Oh OK. Reads like bias, smells like bias.

OK with you, David?

It is simply an article I saw that provides additional history that the current PC bunch maybe would rather keep buried. I have no opinion on either version (Spanish were good or Spanish were bad). I just like reading and seeing all kinds of history. It makes traveling that much more interesting.

The fact is history happened. You can learn from it or you can be offended by it, the choice is yours. I just hope the choice isn't taken away from us.

DK, Your dealing with minds that can't or won't see a meta-narrative to the human species. They live with the idea that there is nothing to live for.

Their view is to erase what was before them while they 'live to do good for the benefit of those that come after' and then their gone, so that those they did good for, can live with no thought of them.

Eventually all of that effort on their part, is morphed into what those that came after, think 'good' is. Which produces what's called self-righteousness. Each becomes their own gods and worship at the alter of their selves in series.

They fail to see the 'progression' of anything because they have destroyed what they have progressed from...or they hide it from whom they leave progression to. The end result is no progression at all.

And that means there is an end. Which is what they claim they are trying to avoid. They are what they deny = bigots
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2020 at 06:36 AM

Ho

I'm reminded of the quote from impotus regarding a fascist rally "there were good people on both sides "

[Edited on 6-27-2020 by pacificobob]
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2020 at 06:54 AM

OK with you, David?

It is simply an article I saw that provides additional history that the current PC bunch maybe would rather keep buried. I have no opinion on either version (Spanish were good or Spanish were bad). I just like reading and seeing all kinds of history. It makes traveling that much more interesting.

The fact is history happened. You can learn from it or you can be offended by it, the choice is yours. I just hope the choice isn't taken away from us.

Yes. Additional history with right wing bias. Typical.

Political shenanigans. Shame on you.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

F*ck it.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2020 at 06:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  

OK with you, David?

DK, Your dealing with minds that can't or won't see a meta-narrative to the human species. They live with the idea that there is nothing to live for.

Their view is to erase what was before them while they 'live to do good for the benefit of those that come after' and then their gone, so that those they did good for, can live with no thought of them.

Eventually all of that effort on their part, is morphed into what those that came after, think 'good' is. Which produces what's called self-righteousness. Each becomes their own gods and worship at the alter of their selves in series.

They fail to see the 'progression' of anything because they have destroyed what they have progressed from...or they hide it from whom they leave progression to. The end result is no progression at all.

And that means there is an end. Which is what they claim they are trying to avoid. They are what they deny = bigots

So you 2 like your historical fiction story supporting your notion that the Aztecs were bad, and the Spanish were good, and it was right for Spain to crush Aztecs?

Dk and paranewbi are the type that lend credence to Holocaust deniers and other politically-warped and morally reprehensible history revisionists.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2020 at 08:16 AM

Why does the left feel it needs to be a nanny and have more rights that the rest of the population?

When you erect statues of slave owners in public spaces, it is morally right for the left to tear down the statue.
slavery is wrong, quit defending slavery, DK.

Woke!

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2020 at 08:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
i have never seen any monuments in germany glorifying its darkest chapter....however the average german is well aware of what took place.

Watch this, it's about how Germany handles its shameful past. They certainly don't glorify it with statues of the villains nor hide it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phgwn8J-TvM

excellent video. American culture has a long path ahead. thanks for the link.
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2020 at 08:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  

OK with you, David?

So you 2 like your historical fiction story supporting your notion that the Aztecs were bad, and the Spanish were good, and it was right for Spain to crush Aztecs?

Dk and paranewbi are the type that lend credence to Holocaust deniers and other politically-warped and morally reprehensible history revisionists.

This is the MO of the left...to declare others are what they are actually all about.
Removing Historical Knowledge, especially about the founders of a nation that risked their lives to progress the idea of Liberty is exactly what Goat's do and that is the definition of 'revisionism'.

Snowflakes are driven by their emotions and Goat is a snowflake.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2020 at 02:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by academicanarchist  
There are several Serra statues in Mexico. One is located in the San Fernando Church in Mexico City. The church is what remains of the Apostolic College of San Fernando that Serra was affiliated with, and that administered the California missions. The second is in the Founders square in Querétaro in front of the Apostolic College of Santa Cruz. It is next to a statue of Antonio Margil de Jesús, who was a missionary affiliated with Santa Cruz and who was on missions in Texas. In my academic writings I have documented the patterns of social control on the California missions and the demographic consequences of the congregation of indigenous peoples on the missions. It was not a pretty picture. At the same time I don’t agree with removing statues. In my view it makes more sense to commission new statues that highlight the indigenous history of California to go alongside the Serra statues.

Thanks Robert, I was hoping you would comment about this.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 6-27-2020 at 05:41 PM

Sad that you fear knowledge or don't trust people to have enough intelligence to form opinions with all the facts (and fantasies) of the past.

Who are you to tell me what I can read or what statues I can look at? Why does the left feel it needs to be a nanny and have more rights that the rest of the population?

David,
Pardon me, but I think your slip is showing ....:biggrin:

Don't believe everything you think....
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2020 at 08:45 PM

National Catholic Reporter article 5 years old prior to Serra's canonization.

https://www.ncronline.org/blogs/faith-and-justice/junipero-s...

F*ck it.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 6-27-2020 at 09:25 PM

I noticed a pattern
"I have no opinion on either version..."
"There is good and bad on both sides."
All the while feeding you right wing stories

I respect people who declare to be proud N-zis. I don't like what they peddle, but I respect it. It takes balls to stand up for something.
Those other guys, trying to blend in while promoting N-zi stuff, are the lowest form of cowards I have ever experienced.

Harald Pietschmann
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2020 at 09:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
I noticed a pattern
"I have no opinion on either version..."
"There is good and bad on both sides."
All the while feeding you right wing stories

I respect people who declare to be proud N-zis. I don't like what they peddle, but I respect it. It takes balls to stand up for something.
Those other guys, trying to blend in while promoting N-zi stuff, are the lowest form of cowards I have ever experienced.

Well, Harald, we may both be on thin ice here...... :o .... but.....:

I sort of understand the bit about respecting folks who state their ideological position clearly and don't waffle about it. However, when their ideological stance is so effed up that it defies basic humanistic values.....what is there to respect?

I have seen the numbers tattooed on some of my relative's arms (Dachau and Austwich (SP?) ). I can't find a molecule of respect for those who proudly used the swastika and extreme racism to try to propel their inhumanity and domination over millions of dead.

Maybe I misinterpreted your comment....I sure hope so. :?:

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 6-28-2020 at 11:38 AM
Meanwhile, A Lighter Moment Back at the Protest ...............

Whichever one it happened to be:

Ayer's Riverside Press-Enterprise noted the arrest of a man at one of the protests for lighting off an illegal firework.

Caught on video getting out of his car, kneeling and lighting it.

At which point, a protestor threw a sign at him. When he jumped out of the way, a different protestor picked up the firework and tossed it into the malefactor's car.

As the car filled with smoke, a passenger in the vehicle tumbled out just prior to the detonation showering sparks all over. Unhurt.

Driver tracked down by License #. Being held in lieu of $50K bail.

Now, there's a mind-pic to make one laugh.

OK. A-M-F for now. I need to go out and (likely) pick a fight with a next-door (rental) neighbor. Packing heat, just in case.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 6-28-2020 at 04:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

all related to today's wimps. No connection to the 1930's
My dad went to prison for opposing the nuts back then.

And I am all for flushing out the rebirth of that brown ideology.
I had an airbnb guest recently gloating about removing Jews, women, masons etc - I made him leave.

Harald Pietschmann
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 6-28-2020 at 05:44 PM

What?
I don't use color as a judgement and you know that. You have always related to me that you were harassed at the border and by police because you were black. That was you telling me.
Now, I don't recall any San Quintin talk when we last met, but if you said you got stopped and didn't know why, it would have been natural for me to remind you, what YOU said... that you get harassed for being black.

We took a lot of happy photos before our goodbyes. Doug can verify that there was no uncool talking either.
Finally, if I did upset you, why not reach out to me rather than bring this up here on the forum. We have been friends for 20 years. Color or politics are not a reason I use for friendship determination.

Finally, if I did hurt your feelings unintentionally, then I apologized sincerely. I value friendships and would come to your defence any day.

When with "good friends" you acted and spoke exactly as I would have, and as my "good friends" would have, too! My most embarrassing moments in life are when I have reacted negatively with "emotion" to something that someone else has said-------consequently, I depress extreme emotion like the plague!! Humor is so much more fun, and I gravitate towards people that feel the same way. I might have made the same comment you did------because what you said is so obviously, though disturbingly, true! I find Ken's reaction-----well, surprising, to say the least.

Barry

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2020 at 06:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

all related to today's wimps. No connection to the 1930's
My dad went to prison for opposing the nuts back then.

And I am all for flushing out the rebirth of that brown ideology.
I had an airbnb guest recently gloating about removing Jews, women, masons etc - I made him leave.

That's what I thought. Thank you.
Ged

Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  8

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.