Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Status of Border for crossing into Mexico from SoCal
savage44

[*] posted on 7-11-2020 at 02:39 PM
Status of Border for crossing into Mexico from SoCal

The wife and I are thinking about a trip down, but we’re having a really hard time finding firsthand, reliable information about what the border crossing into Mexico is like. We’d be fine crossing at San Ysidro, Otay, or Tecate. Are Mexican border officers asking for proof of essential travel? Are they going to take one look at our camper set up and send us back? Appreciate any factual and meaningful info, thank you!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-11-2020 at 03:07 PM

Yes, stay home until this is over. We all hate what's happening. Some are getting through and some are being turned back. Most posts from Mexico seem to be asking foreigners to stay home and not bring more of the virus south.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 7-11-2020 at 03:08 PM

My friend crossed tj yesterday night with dirt bike in back.no questions
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2020 at 05:07 PM

I cross at San Ysidro one or two times a month, last time in June, and it was business as usual. I also read the TJ and San Diego online newspapers, and a couple of Facebook groups composed of people that use the border at TJ, and there hasn't been any mention of US tourists having any problems crossing or getting FMMs.

Follow this paper, using your browser translator. It has news sections for TJ, Rosarito, and Ensenada under the "Noticias" top bar selection.

https://www.elimparcial.com/tijuana/

Here's one for Mexicali:

https://www.elimparcial.com/mexicali/

They're similar but different.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2020 at 05:20 PM

I am not suggesting there is a problem crossing the border... I am saying that the "Essential Travel" restriction level is still the case. Sure, it is an honor system... except when they do ask to see your proof of Mexican residency, as they have and are still on Hwy. 5 (sometimes). It is Mexico, after all!

Since we don't know we have the virus (for up to 2 weeks after acquiring it), Mexico has asked us gringos to stay on the north side of the wall rather than bring any more down! That's what I am reading and what Doug has been posting for Nomad.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2020 at 06:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by savage44  
The wife and I are thinking about a trip down, but we’re having a really hard time finding firsthand, reliable information about what the border crossing into Mexico is like. We’d be fine crossing at San Ysidro, Otay, or Tecate. Are Mexican border officers asking for proof of essential travel? Are they going to take one look at our camper set up and send us back? Appreciate any factual and meaningful info, thank you!

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=94743

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-11-2020 at 07:28 PM

Nonessential travel is prohibited.

But a$$hats are traveling anyway because they are special.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
7-11-2020 at 07:59 PM
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 7-11-2020 at 08:08 PM

It's been noted here that Mexicali has been checking southbound traffic, with long delays:
https://www.borderreport.com/news/travelers-heading-south-th...

Also noted here have been roadblocks in misc. locations (along the highway) to turn back non-essential travelers heading south.

As Lee helped with a link for more info, the US Ambassador to Mexico has warned:

"If US citizens continue to make casual cross-border trips, the restrictions will increase, not decrease."

- Christopher Landau, United States Ambassador to Mexico

[Edited on 7-12-2020 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2020 at 08:55 AM

We’d be fine crossing at San Ysidro, Otay, or Tecate. Are Mexican border officers asking for proof of essential travel?

Technically, ground crossings are closed for non-essentials. You are aware of this and looking for factual info on breaking the law, alright.

Border agents are rarely asking for any proof. But checkpoints on highways do. They are asking for proof of legal or habitual residence in this area in the form of either resident card or electrical bill.

You'll probably be fine crossing the border. Doesn't mean that you'll be "fine" in terms of health, the epidemic in Mexico hasn't peaked yet. Those restrictions are there for a good reason.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2020 at 10:44 AM

Was on San Diego news a few days ago, that there were shakedowns of gringos. They essentially want you to empty your wallet. Culprits told the couple that they blame gringos coming across the border for their virus plight, and they can't work, no money. Same victim reported that his brother, as a pedestrian, had a similar experience, I think in TJ.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-12-2020 at 11:30 AM
Essential crossings are an essential problem!

Both sides of the border from El Centro through Mexicali are a hot spot of Covid19 infections. Which group do you think is creating the problem?;

A....Tourists that typically want to spend little or no time near the border

B....The twenty thousand daily crossings by locals for work, shopping, commerce, or family matters

I understand the temptation to blame outsiders, but it makes about as much sense as blaming Asian people in our country for the epidemic here.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 7-12-2020 at 12:06 PM

still won't stop tourist's from crossing that can't live without that taco:(

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 7-12-2020 at 01:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
Was on San Diego news a few days ago, that there were shakedowns of gringos. They essentially want you to empty your wallet. Culprits told the couple that they blame gringos coming across the border for their virus plight, and they can't work, no money. Same victim reported that his brother, as a pedestrian, had a similar experience, I think in TJ.

https://www.10news.com/news/local-news/local-couple-tijuana-...

https://www.10news.com/news/local-news/as-investigation-begi...

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-12-2020 at 08:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I am not suggesting there is a problem crossing the border... I am saying that the "Essential Travel" restriction level is still the case. Sure, it is an honor system... .

People ignoring Covid safety practices have no honour, or even a sense of it....:fire:

Do these people ever watch the news, read a paper, or try to have an objective view of the global pandemic raging?

I can't effin believe their mentality....

Go right ahead....kill yourself....not others.

Don't believe everything you think....
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 7-13-2020 at 08:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
People ignoring Covid safety practices have no honour
And you Canucks need to learn to spell rite. :lol:

"Two peoples separated by a common language."

eh?
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2020 at 08:46 AM

Is It Honor or Honour?

The notion of honor varies greatly from one culture to another. Ideas about what it means to have it, how to obtain it, and how to preserve are studied by sociologists and anthropologists. But here we’ll be studying how to spell it. Here’s the deal: you can write honor in your college paper, or honour in your university test, and in both cases you’d be correct. But some might frown if you do it the other way around, because there is a slight difference between the two spellings that has nothing to do with the meaning of the word itself: Honor is the preferred spelling in American English and is pronounced \ˈä-nər\; Honour is the preferred spelling in British English and is pronounced /ˈɒnə/.

So, making fun (incorrectly) of how to spell a word is your best response?

Kind of symbolic of how the usa citizenry responds to a serious issue these days.

I can certainly take a joke.....but there is little humour with this issue of the how your country is handling Covid.

Smarten up :light:

And while I am at it: "rite is sometimes confused with right and write"

eh!

:biggrin:

[Edited on 7-13-2020 by motoged]

[Edited on 7-13-2020 by motoged]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2020 at 09:10 AM

Do Canadians spell tire: tyre, too?
They do that in Australia.

Is it a spanner or a wrench... windshield or windscreen... hood or bonnet... trunk or boot ???

I think the difference goes back to 1776 when we won our independence and began going about doing things in the "American way"? Canada, Australia, and other Commonwealth nations remained closer to Britain, keeping the queen on their money, etc.
Tradition is important, as is history.

I think we all enjoy the differences between nations with a shared connection to England, or Great Britain & Ireland. Too boring if we all did things the same, talked the same, etc.

Colour, harbour is just as good as color and harbor, just one more letter.

Oh, it really sparked a conversation with my Australian 6th grade teacher when I spelled through as "thru"! It went something like, Do you yanks really spell it that way?" LOL

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2020 at 09:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

I think the difference goes back to 1776 when we won our independence and began going about doing things in the "American way"? .....

Ah....yes....the Boston Tea Party.

Wasn't that the brave political statement where the "independence seekers" dressed up as Native americans as they dumped tea into the harbour....?

Brave move to vilify others rather than stand up honestly for one's beliefs....:?:

History and spelling lesson #2 :light: :biggrin:

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2020 at 09:43 AM

Like I said....I can take (and understand) a joke .

Just sayin' ....

:cool:

It's a good day up here in the frozen wastelands....backyard landscaping project almost complete....so now I can focus on tidying up the cargo trailer camper and the 690 for some time out in the wilds, getting some more blues riffs down on the tele, and keeping my eye on my garden....

We are all in this together :saint:

savage44

[*] posted on 7-13-2020 at 10:13 AM

What happened to this thread? Haha! For those of you implying that I have no respect or honor for traveling south of the border, you have no basis or cause for judgement. We’re not going down there to rub elbows with the locals, eat tacos, and shop. We’ll be off grid and in a better state of isolation on a desolate beach By ourselves than in our home town where we’re grocery shopping every four days, getting gas, etc. I don’t plan on having contact with anyone: that’s why we go down there!
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.