Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: Solo travel? Loreto to Cataviña
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2020 at 10:35 AM

"My biggest fear is encountering a group of people out in the desert"
Highly unlikely. Occasionally when I have ventured offroad, and found myself at the end of day looking for a place to boondock camp, I have inadvertently ended up on someone's property. Sometimes they will drive by on they way to their ranch (or once, by horseback doing his perimeter check), visit a bit, and welcome me to stay. A couple times, said they'd come by in the morning and check on me. I have never had a negative experience at a camp site, I think because I remote camp with nobody around.
The first day on the road you'll be on high alert, but the next day, be much more relaxed (I would assume you'd be in the Gigantas on Day 2 having visited Mision San Javier?) Lots of places to boondock camp around there - classic Baja California landscape - or even ask for permission to camp on someone's ranch - that's a special experience in itself.
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 11-15-2020 at 10:38 AM
Weapons?

It seems like you are equipped with the most important thing for Baja travel (or for almost anywhere for that matter, "common sense and awareness."

The suggestion that you should carry a weapon is absolutely absurd. Now if you were trained or are very familiar with that weapon, maybe and that is a big maybe. I am talking about bringing a manchette, baseball bat or small knife but never a gun. Without the killer instinct or defense training they could be used on you as easily as you trying to defend yourself.

Springtime is a lovely time to travel so come on down when you feel most comfortable.
Have you started you list of things to bring?
1: Water, at least a spare gallon over and above you daily water.
2: Basic first aid kit
3: Swiss Army Knife or comparable tool
4: Garmin In Reach or comparable, use it on all your other trips as well
5: Good spare and folding shovel
6: It can get cold in elevation, so something warm
7: Tequila (Maybe should be #1 on the list)
8: Health snacks
9: Music
10: If you have the space, binoculars

I am sure the rest of this Forum will add items.

Have fun!

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 11-15-2020 at 10:44 AM

Oops, she is flying

Maybe I'll read next time.

Most of those items can be purchased down here. If I happen to be down here then I can loan you a lot of the stuff.

I will U2U you with my contact information.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2020 at 12:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaNomad  

Firstly, guns - and as noted, knives, bear mace, etc - are illegal. She said she's flying in too Lee. Even if you're driving, you risk jail time if/when caught.

Right, flying is a different game.

Anyone worried about arrest for an illegal weapon in Baja should travel unarmed.

Grey areas abound. Spear guns, flare guns, a baton that looks like a stick.

Not interested in debating the merits of what's legal and what's not in Mexico.

Napoleonic law is law of the land in Baja. You're on your own and police are no help. Draw your own conclusions. Just don't peddle false information about personal safety.

Whatever.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2020 at 10:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Don't bring weapons.

Naive. Out of touch. Lulled into a false sense of security.

in the 70s i was living in Central America. some cities were a bit sketchy to walk about late at night......for whatever reason, i was occasionally doing some of that.
although the carrying of weapons was frowned upon by the police,i found a workaround. when a new machete or banana knife is purchased, the clerk often took a single piece of newspaper, wrapped and taped it on the blade. to the cops i looked like a fellow who had been shopping. to others, like a less likely victim.
did it for years, never a problem. if i were a thug, i would wait for an easier target.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2020 at 11:27 AM

Here's another story. I was camping on the outskirts of a small town on the Yucatan peninsula. I found an old quarry, about 100 yards off the main street into town - apparently not much used. At dusk, I set up my tent, settled in for the night. About an hour later, in the dark, a large truck pulled up fast and stopped. Oh chit, I thought, I'm going to be robbed. Two car doors slammed, and "policia" shouted at me. If it were a robbery (or worse), do you think I had time to find a weapon, unzip my tent, and defend myself against two men? Same thing with a weapon tucked out of sight - you're a fool if you think you'd be in a physical position to quickly arm yourself with the relied-upon weapon - wherever it was - in a dicey situation. BTW, the policia told me it was not advisable to camp there and that I should get a hotel room in Izamal, which I did, and was able to experience a lively Carnival event.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2020 at 02:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
If it were a robbery (or worse), do you think I had time to find a weapon, unzip my tent, and defend myself against two men? Same thing with a weapon tucked out of sight - you're a fool if you think you'd be in a physical position to quickly arm yourself with the relied-upon weapon - wherever it was - in a dicey situation.

Lame excuse for being unable to defend yourself. You were in a vulnerable position and defenseless because you didn't know where your gear was.

Hope you have learned from past experiences and mistakes (not knowing you were at risk camping in the spot you chose, and not knowing where your gear was) but it doesn't sound like it.

Tell us you've learned from these past mistakes when in Baja?

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-16-2020 at 06:13 PM

Let Nomads tell their story in peace... only bug them if they spell a town incorrectly, LOL!

Thanks Cindi for sharing!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

CiriosGal

[*] posted on 11-16-2020 at 07:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
If it were a robbery (or worse), do you think I had time to find a weapon, unzip my tent, and defend myself against two men? Same thing with a weapon tucked out of sight - you're a fool if you think you'd be in a physical position to quickly arm yourself with the relied-upon weapon - wherever it was - in a dicey situation.

Lame excuse for being unable to defend yourself. You were in a vulnerable position and defenseless because you didn't know where your gear was.

Hope you have learned from past experiences and mistakes (not knowing you were at risk camping in the spot you chose, and not knowing where your gear was) but it doesn't sound like it.

Tell us you've learned from these past mistakes when in Baja?

Lee, I kinda expected more people to echo your perspective to my original question. I appreciate your advice.

However, since I'm the OP on this thread, I will decide who's advice or story is "lame".

Semper Fi
CiriosGal

[*] posted on 11-16-2020 at 07:59 PM

I'm just now figuring out that the US-Mexico land border is open both directions for American citizens; is this true?

Gaww "closed". Reentry for gringos is deemed "essential travel".
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2020 at 08:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by CiriosGal  
I'm just now figuring out that the US-Mexico land border is open both directions for American citizens; is this true?

No restrictions on air travel. Mexico wants tourists to come.

Supposed to be a restriction for driving, but neither side is enforcing it.

By Spring things should be even more wide open.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2020 at 08:13 PM

Agua Verde is a really, really fun day trip from Loreto. Its a dirt road a few miles after the turn off, but easy for a 2 wheel drive. There is a small community there and you can camp safely.

Just ask and we can give you a ton of suggestions.

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-16-2020 at 08:33 PM

Trumpets are traveling because they ignore the public health advisories to stay at home, avoid travel. Ya, it’s open, if you like traveling with anti-mask, covid deniers and those who thinks the disease is a nothing burger...

If everyone did their part, the disease would be under control by now. But too many people are tired of the inconvenience of prioritizing grandma Before their hedonistic needs.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 11-16-2020 at 08:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Trumpets are traveling because they ignore the public health advisories to stay at home, avoid travel. Ya, it’s open, if you like traveling with anti-mask, covid deniers and those who thinks the disease is a nothing burger...

If everyone did their part, the disease would be under control by now. But too many people are tired of the inconvenience of prioritizing grandma Before their hedonistic needs.

tell us again how your vacation travels were different?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2020 at 08:40 PM

Supposed to be a restriction for driving, but neither side is enforcing it.

Usa is enforcing it. Most Mexicans cannot enter the USA. Friends in TJ and Ensenada have not been able to cross since last spring...

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2020 at 08:43 PM

Ignore our forum clown. I've been all over the Southwest and Northwest since April. Just got back from my third trip to Nevada.

99% of ppl are willingly wearing masks and distancing when they travel. Ppl on both sides of the isle.

Yeah kids, again, from both sides, aren't as careful.

[Edited on 11-17-2020 by JZ]

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2020 at 09:13 PM

Ignore our forum clown. I've been all over the Southwest and Northwest since April. Just got back from my third trip to Nevada.

99% of ppl are willingly wearing masks and distancing when they travel. Ppl on both sides of the isle.

Yeah kids, again, from both sides, aren't as careful.

You really don't get it.

It's like putting together a great meal- you don't just do that with one ingredient.

Masking, social distancing, limiting one's socializing to a small bubble, and restricting one's movements to all but essential outings are all essential parts of a whole which will curtail the spread of the virus. You don't just get to pick and choose which parts are acceptable to you and call that being responsible.

That's like a kid doing their English and Social Studies homework because they don't mind those subjects, but deciding never to do their Science and Math homework because they aren't interested in those subjects.

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2020 at 09:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

You really don't get it.

It's like putting together a great meal- you don't just do that with one ingredient.

Masking, social distancing, limiting one's socializing to a small bubble, and restricting one's movements to all but essential outings are all essential parts of a whole which will curtail the spread of the virus. You don't just get to pick and choose which parts are acceptable to you and call that being responsible.

That's like a kid doing their English and Social Studies homework because they don't mind those subjects, but deciding never to do their Science and Math homework because they aren't interested in those subjects.

Follow the science. The WHO tells us that lock downs after the initial outbreak + time for medical personnel to ramp up do more harm than good. Especially, in poor countries.

And few, if any, local govt.'s in US/MX have a policy enacting this right now: "....restricting one's movements to all but essential outings."

Also, you are a grown man who rents out a room at your house on a per day basis to strangers and shares a kitchen with them. Why on Earth would someone take advice from a person who has failed at life so badly that they need to do this?

Please stop trying to ruin this thread and move on if you have nothing positive to contribute.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2020 at 09:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

You really don't get it.

Follow the science. The WHO tells us that lock downs after the initial outbreak do more harm than good. Especially, in poor countries.

Also, you are a grown man who rents out a room at your house on a per day basis to strangers and shares a kitchen with them. Why on Earth would someone take advice from a person who has failed at life so badly that they need to do this?

Please stop trying to ruin this thread and move on if you have nothing positive to contribute.

Why on earth would anyone take advice from shorty mcjizzy with raging Napoleon complex?

Woke!

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2020 at 11:18 PM

What a presumptuous jerk you are.

First of all, I'm not a man.

Secondly, I don't "rent out a room on a per day basis". It's not a flop house. I have a vacation rental- a private room/private bath with a private entrance and use of my kitchen. For people who want to come on vacation to a beach town and they stay for a week- 2 weeks. I have pages full of 5* reviews.
In case you're not aware, there are tons of home-share listings all over the world on Airbnb.

Thirdly, I don't "need to do this". I do it because I enjoy it- I have met amazing people from all over the world, some of whom have become friends I stay in touch with. Just like others who own B&Bs.

Lastly, I guess you call having raised 3 daughters who all grew up to be responsible, successful adults, owed a home in Canada that I renovated over the course of the 20 years I lived there and sold for a $200,000 profit, bought a lot and built a nice home with a huge garden in Mexico where I run an extremely successful upholstery business, "failed at life".

Have any other idiotic things to post?

Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.