Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Punta Chivato to the Pacific, off road
DouglasP
Nomad

Mood: Goat hunter.

[*] posted on 2-24-2021 at 12:46 PM

Thanks David.
The road to Magdalena has been repaired, FYI.

I like beer, better than most people.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-24-2021 at 12:59 PM

That's great news..... did that on a GS1100 three times and twice on a 450 before it was washed out...

A great ride for sure... between storm damages.

Don't believe everything you think....
DouglasP
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2021 at 02:54 PM

Man, that Beemer would be a handful through there! Did you do a full loop and go into mulege? I've done it on my 450XCW and my 300XCW.

chivatojoe
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2021 at 03:36 PM

So same trip we have been researching for a year or more . Also a resident of Chivato. The last time we got to the gate we hiked around it for a mile or so and it does intersect a road from the South. Road sign at intersection. When we talked to the rancher closest to the start of the road he said El Heffe had installed the gate from Mexico City to prevent tourists from exploring during the Covid shut down. There are some really unique "tall" cave painting along that road and I believe they are made mention on the Cal Topo map. Hoping that when Covid is over perhaps the gate will be unlocked? I too am very interested in trying to make it over to the west and have mapped out a course. Another friend from Chivato tell the time John Watkins flew his Cub over the route and landed at a village up in the mountains on a road. Trying to make the big circle over to Our BnB at Bahia Asuncion. Keep trying....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-24-2021 at 03:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DouglasP  
Thanks David.
The road to Magdalena has been repaired, FYI.

Again??
Wow, they don't give up easily! It was impassable from the 2014 storm to late 2018... Repaired in 2018.
I traveled it in May 2019... and it washed out again before the end of 2019!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2021 at 06:04 PM

Man, that Beemer would be a handful through there! Did you do a full loop and go into mulege? I've done it on my 450XCW and my 300XCW.

Yes....the beemer rides were in 2000 and 2001....have a helmet cam vid of those rides somewhere.

The 450 rides there were 2008 or 2009.

My first moto trip in Baja was on an R80 GS in '95 or '96.
Three subsequent rides were on the 1100GS.....and after that (2001) is when I bought a dirtbike, realizing I needed the right tool for the job.

All other trips have been with the 450 aside from 2 trips with the 690.

MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2021 at 09:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chivatojoe  
So same trip we have been researching for a year or more . Also a resident of Chivato. The last time we got to the gate we hiked around it for a mile or so and it does intersect a road from the South. Road sign at intersection. When we talked to the rancher closest to the start of the road he said El Heffe had installed the gate from Mexico City to prevent tourists from exploring during the Covid shut down. There are some really unique "tall" cave painting along that road and I believe they are made mention on the Cal Topo map. Hoping that when Covid is over perhaps the gate will be unlocked? I too am very interested in trying to make it over to the west and have mapped out a course. Another friend from Chivato tell the time John Watkins flew his Cub over the route and landed at a village up in the mountains on a road. Trying to make the big circle over to Our BnB at Bahia Asuncion. Keep trying....

I was up the west side last March. Final waypoint was 2.5 miles airline to the mission.
If you want, would be interesting to review your route plans here over a beer.
Was just over and back to San Juanico, saw another route into the area of interest that may be possible loop from El Patrocino to San Raymundo wash.
DouglasP
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2021 at 12:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chivatojoe  

Hey Joe that is encouraging that the road from the south intersects, I really think pushing through there is a possibility. By the time we got to were I have it marked as "washed out" my group was getting ready to head back. I would liked to have tried to poke around and see if we could get across the wash. The trail uo to it wasn't too bad.
The Covid logic by el Jefe seems a bit goofy to me, but who knows?
Going to keep poking around for sure.

Is your last name like a cookie? If so I think we've met at one of the PC functions at one point or another. We Bought Shaw's place.

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 2-26-2021 at 10:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Yes....the beemer rides were in 2000 and 2001....have a helmet cam vid of those rides somewhere.

The 450 rides there were 2008 or 2009.

My first moto trip in Baja was on an R80 GS in '95 or '96.
Three subsequent rides were on the 1100GS.....and after that (2001) is when I bought a dirtbike, realizing I needed the right tool for the job.

All other trips have been with the 450 aside from 2 trips with the 690.

Which bike were you riding when we first met back there years ago. My KLR did that as a day ride many times over the years under a lot of varying conditions. It was always a favorite ride, probably won't ride it again, age and all, but will certainly drive the loop again.

First time I rode that route I was on an old xl350 and my buddy on a 1100gs. I lost count of how many times I helped pick up that monster.
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2021 at 11:41 AM

Kurt,
I think it was 2008 or '09 when we met on the road west of Mulege....going up the eroded rock-paved section just west of the rancho in that little canyon narrowing part (what is the name of that rancho at the southwest corner of that canyon?).....you were guiding a young couple that I think were from Nelson BC....and you were loving your KLR :saint:

I was with two friends, and on my 450 EXC

Remember that guy several years ago with the LSD green KLR at La Hacienda....it took him a week in GN waiting for a tire replacement..... but he had his prospector hammer and trench shovel (first-timer :biggrin:)

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 2-26-2021 at 04:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Kurt,
I think it was 2008 or '09 when we met on the road west of Mulege....going up the eroded rock-paved section just west of the rancho in that little canyon narrowing part (what is the name of that rancho at the southwest corner of that canyon?).....you were guiding a young couple that I think were from Nelson BC....and you were loving your KLR :saint:

I was with two friends, and on my 450 EXC

Remember that guy several years ago with the LSD green KLR at La Hacienda....it took him a week in GN waiting for a tire replacement..... but he had his prospector hammer and trench shovel (first-timer :biggrin:)

What I remember most about the fellow on the KLR was that he was carrying so much gear that the soft stock suspension was bottomed out. He was complaining about the side stand being too long and when I tried to explain the relationship between those two things his eyes glazed over. I also remember asking if he had ever practiced tire repair before taking his trip and getting a negative answer. Might have saved him some trouble.

The couple from BC were neat people, the gal was on a DR350 and rode it well.

I'm starting to sell off bikes but my old ('91) KLR will be still in my shop when I croak. There is very little remaining of the original bike after 150k miles. I still ride it as well as my 650 V-Strom but it is clear that my riding days are coming to an end. No regrets, I've had a great run.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.