Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: seven sisters
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-21-2021 at 09:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGringo  
Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

If that is what they are doing they aren't tech savvy at all.

You don't need cell service to run a real-time GPS app overlayed on satellite imagery.

I was speaking to the maps they downloaded, not the surfers personal tech abilities.

Those maps not only had all the roads marked but also included comments regarding terrain, change in altitude, fish camps, soft silt, gates, etc.

Like I said, somebody is investing a lot of time and effort into this.

I think this particular set of knuckleheads are like many their age who believe their phones are useless once they lose data service and it was easier to just fall back on screengrab maps they printed off their computers back home.

for navigating, I usually only need map aids for last few miles or few 10s of miles. Loading GPS tracks is time-consuming, often not really needed if all you need is help navigating the last few miles. messing with generating, saving, loading GPS data is time-consuming if you are not a GPS geek doing it all the time. A pdf or hard copy print is 5 seconds to make,... For occasional use, a pdf or hard-copy print-out is much faster

people like shorty mcjizzy have many hundreds of hours sunk into collecting, making, processing GPS tracks. not all surfers want to sink time into geeking out for 7 sisters maps when they can download someones plan view map in just a few minutes.

btw, my fist time to 7 sisters we navigated with hand-drawn sketch and written directions. we did fine. we are proof that people can navigate easily w/o electronic crutches.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 6-21-2021 at 11:14 AM

hey, Columbus found his way just by intuition

Harald Pietschmann
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2021 at 12:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

people like shorty mcjizzy have many hundreds of hours sunk into collecting, making, processing GPS tracks. not all surfers want to sink time into geeking out for 7 sisters maps when they can download someones plan view map in just a few minutes.

You sound jealous.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

maspacificoII

[*] posted on 6-21-2021 at 12:20 PM

Is that Florida?
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 6-21-2021 at 12:36 PM

You sound jealous.

I doubt he is jealous.... just sees you for what you are.

How many of those tracks were developed entirely by you with no previous tracks used?

I bet the vast majority of your "Florida" map tracks were provided by others in your relentless quest for tracks made by others....all part of your efforts to be The Baja Pro on all matters.

Don't believe everything you think....
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-21-2021 at 12:48 PM

You sound jealous.

Nope!
Once i have been to a place i no longer need a map.
And i don't post directions on the net, publicizing directions contributes to overuse.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2021 at 01:49 PM

Sometimes I pine for the good old days of a long recession, crappy stock market and really wet, wet winters!

A really wet, wet winter in Northern Baja would slow those young whipper snappers down. Most have probably never been real stuck in their vehicles before and none of them know the joy of the wet, slick silt stuck to everything feeling in the middle of acres of the slime.

I used to take my kids down there and surf and would tell them here one year we waited 2 days to get unstuck and one year we left the vehicle in the crap for a week while we camped and waited out the storm and the locals cold get us out.

The 72-73 El Niño taught me four wheel drive is not capable of what I thought it was and the 82-83 El Niño reminded me again. Now I am retired from surfing but still love camping there. You just need to go in the off season of the surfers, summer. Not many people then.

I visited friends there this past M arch who are the first stop for the new breed of Sprinter surfers coming in from the south. Yes, it was he who threw punches and it influenced no-one. They counted 45 vehicles one week this past winter. The 3 Stooges who own the land love it of course, even built a taco stand and do laundry for the wanna be dirtbags.

Be grateful you got it the way it was not the way it is. And if you really want to surf uncrowded waves, get a boat and go find them, they are out there. Might think twice about sharing those lat-longs though, just saying. :lol:

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2021 at 02:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Jorge  

The 72-73 El Niño taught me four wheel drive is not capable of what I thought it was and the 82-83 El Niño reminded me again.

I was tempted to comment
but, nahh

ritchie copy.jpg - 300kB

Harald Pietschmann
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 6-21-2021 at 04:20 PM

If that guy on the FJ pulls just a little harder, then "no problem".
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2021 at 06:46 PM

Harald, if I'm not mistaken that is in an amazing canyon just outside of Death Valley park. Pananmint canyon maybe? Not sure if that is the correct name or not?
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 6-21-2021 at 07:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Harald, if I'm not mistaken that is in an amazing canyon just outside of Death Valley park. Pananmint canyon maybe? Not sure if that is the correct name or not?

You probably are referring to "Surprise Canyon", down-canyon from Panamint City, the old mining town long abandoned. I drove that canyon to Panamint City back in the '50's in a '55 Chev. car, but it was totally wiped out by a flash flood after that, and never repaired, I don't believe.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2021 at 08:16 PM

yup, Surprise Canyon, when it was still open to the public. Some buildings still intact in Panamint City. Spent many nights there.
Insane "drive" - mostly winching.
Even going down

toy-down.jpeg - 143kB

Harald Pietschmann
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2021 at 08:28 PM

took my Mercedes convertible there as well
used the canyon for years to train people that don't want to be mentioned
at night too
no lights

so, yes - 4x4's are pretty capable
but like a piano, you need to learn a bit

280GE Surprise Canyon copy.jpg - 184kB

Harald Pietschmann
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 6-21-2021 at 11:52 PM

Wow !!! Serious stuff...

Don't believe everything you think....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-22-2021 at 08:26 AM

There's a fine line between fun and work! :o

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-22-2021 at 08:55 AM

Does it help to "re-imagine" gravity and traction?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 6-22-2021 at 10:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
WOW you sure stirred up a hornet's nest over there Ron!:lol:...you know how we roll here, danged whippersnappers!

Yeah, I find it becoming increasingly difficult to understand how some people are thinking (and posting) these days.

Many of those who disagreed with me on that thread called me out for even mentioning the Seven Sisters name, referring to that area of Baja as "Sacred / Hallowed Ground."

However when I took a look at some of their personal profile pages on Facebook and what they had shared, it appears that some of them have no problem with openly supporting the US Capital invasion last January 6th.

That really left me scratching my head how they define "hallowed ground?"

Maybe we should just have congress move to the Seven Sisters area...

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2021 at 11:05 AM

never forget - the majority of people on this planet is not that bright
they are all able to make babies and make some money
that's it for most

Harald Pietschmann
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2021 at 03:04 PM

Always wanted to run that canyon and was bummed when it was shut down. I've hiked part way up it but want to go back and do the whole hike to the cabins and stay a few days..
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2021 at 03:29 PM

there is another one
it is not shut down because nobody knows its there
look for it - San Lucas Canyon
stunning!
needs a little rock stacking

LUC-Rough.jpg - 182kB

Harald Pietschmann
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.