BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: Welp, no more having a Pacifico while cruising on a desolate trail down in Baja
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2021 at 09:56 AM

How much better does that brew taste when it is waited for after a drive?

Why dilute [?] the driving experience when it tastes so fine after the driving is done, and a second round is no concern.

To each his own.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2021 at 10:30 AM

Needed assistance in changing a RV tire at Maranatha in La Paz and the office called a shop for me.

Middle age chubby MX shows up reeking of alcohol, while holding a ballena. Everything worked out but had my doubts early on.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2021 at 12:38 PM

Rolled my Tacoma outside of La Paz. Police called towtruck (after solicitring "tip". Had to stop on the way to Todos Santos (home) for the bathroom, including several beers (on me of course). Made it OK, truck was totaled, me OK.
vandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2021 at 05:57 AM

I just saw an entertaining short video about a dystopian future nanny state.
One of the first few scenes is having to start your car with a breathalyzer.
I immediately thought of this thread.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vJYaXy5mmA8
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2021 at 06:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by vandy  
I just saw an entertaining short video about a dystopian future nanny state.
One of the first few scenes is having to start your car with a breathalyzer.
I immediately thought of this thread.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vJYaXy5mmA8

"Omeleto - The World's Best Short Films"

Looks like an interesting youtube channel.

Thanks

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2021 at 07:09 AM

We already have:

Backup cameras and sensors
Automatic braking and parking systems.
Seatbelt alarms
Door Ajar alarms
Airbag sensors for children
Brake pedal/transmission interlocks
Clutch interlocks (autos and motos)
Kickstand switch interlocks (motos)
Bank Angle Sensor interlocks (motos)

What's the big deal about blowing into a sensor on your steering wheel?

I don't see anyone crying "nanny state" about any of the above safety/convenience features.

Driving is a privilege, not a right.

John

[Edited on 8-9-2021 by John Harper]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-9-2021 at 07:22 AM

John, your left shoulder is blocking my view of your screen! Could you move a little to the right so I can read your text before you post it?

Thanks for being a good citizen and not resisting!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-9-2021 at 07:38 AM

I love adaptive cruise control. I am eagerly awaiting autonomous self-driving car. I also look forward to day that smart cars refuse to move for drunks (or trump voters) :!::biggrin:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2021 at 07:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
We already have:

Seatbelt alarms
Door Ajar alarms

I don't see anyone crying "nanny state" about any of the above safety/convenience features.

John

My bikes don't do any of that sh#t. Why you libs want the govt. to control every aspect of your lives is beyond me.

There is a reason why some teach instead of facing the real world.

[Edited on 8-9-2021 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 8-9-2021 at 08:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

My bikes don't do any of that sh#t. Why you libs want the govt. to control every aspect of your lives is beyond me.

You just can't keep from insulting people who hold opposing beliefs?

Your bikes don't have those features because you don't have a street legal bike ... and that's because you are afraid of riding on the street. What about those features on your truck.... you don't use your seatbelts?

John is in the profession that educated your kids.... you don't respect them?

Putz ....

Don't believe everything you think....
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2021 at 09:29 AM

We already have:

Seatbelt alarms
Door Ajar alarms

John

All of these safety features prevent ACCIDENTS from happening or decrease the severity of injury if an accident happens.

You can be the most careful person in the world and still get nailed by an impaired/distracted driver running a red light or stop sign.

It's ironic that selling points of the new all-electric cars are their high horsepower and the ability to accelerate to 60 mph in a few seconds. Speed kills.

[Edited on 8-9-2021 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Tioloco
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-9-2021 at 09:57 AM

We already have:

Seatbelt alarms
Door Ajar alarms

John

JZ, you make a valid point.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 8-9-2021 at 10:37 AM

We already have:

Seatbelt alarms
Door Ajar alarms

John

It is called a social contract. If you choose to live among other humans, you consent to governance. It isn't a liberal or conservative issue - it is a money issue. You drive drunk and kill 8 people you're going to get sued for millions. Hospital expenses will be astronomical Insurance rates and health expenses go up for everyone. Make drunk driving illegal (.08% +) and it keeps costs down for everyone. All laws are passed for monetary reasons and to protect us from the 1/2 that have below average intelligence and make stupid decisions that affect others.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2021 at 10:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
We already have:

Seatbelt alarms
Door Ajar alarms

John

All of these safety features prevent ACCIDENTS from happening or decrease the severity of injury if an accident happens.

You can be the most careful person in the world and still get nailed by an impaired/distracted driver running a red light or stop sign.

It's ironic that selling points of the new all-electric cars are their high horsepower and the ability to accelerate to 60 mph in a few seconds. Speed kills.

[Edited on 8-9-2021 by SFandH]

My reluctance to support some of these new safety regulations and devices comes from two points:
1) faulty safety related interlocks that disable a vehicles operation when you are in a remote location
2) increasingly expensive costs to keep these newly equipped vehicles on the road leading to far more rapid replacement which costs both the environment, leads to far quicker global warming and the average person's pocketbook
My choice for an electric vehicle would be because it has far fewer climate related consequences and far better durability to keep those climate savings at a maximum. Greater speed is a consequence of much higher efficiencies for the same energy input.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2021 at 11:07 AM

When you get one of these disabling devices preventing operation of a vehicle in a remote location due to poor ground, P-nched wire, etc., how do you safely override it to get out of there?
This happened to our SUV, doors all locked and power steering disabled all due to a bad ground on the body control computer. My wife is now trapped in car and heading to a curve with very difficult steering. Only solution was shutting off engine to avoid a dangerous situation.

[Edited on 8-9-2021 by JDCanuck]

[Edited on 8-9-2021 by JDCanuck]
Tioloco
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-9-2021 at 11:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
We already have:

Seatbelt alarms
Door Ajar alarms

John

It is called a social contract. If you choose to live among other humans, you consent to governance. It isn't a liberal or conservative issue - it is a money issue. You drive drunk and kill 8 people you're going to get sued for millions. Hospital expenses will be astronomical Insurance rates and health expenses go up for everyone. Make drunk driving illegal (.08% +) and it keeps costs down for everyone. All laws are passed for monetary reasons and to protect us from the 1/2 that have below average intelligence and make stupid decisions that affect others.

Bajamama- Social Contract is a theory. Most people are unaware of it. Its mere existence does not imply its validity.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2021 at 11:29 AM

Perhaps there is a place for disabling sensors in cases where someone has been caught drinking and driving. (isn't this already in place?) But to design them into every vehicle out there seems to me to be full of possible negative unwanted results.
Tioloco
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-9-2021 at 11:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
Perhaps there is a place for disabling sensors in cases where someone has been caught drinking and driving. (isn't this already in place?) But to design them into every vehicle out there seems to me to be full of possible negative unwanted results.

Correct
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 8-9-2021 at 12:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  

Bajamama- Social Contract is a theory. Most people are unaware of it. Its mere existence does not imply its validity.

Lack of awareness doesn't make it invalid. :light:

"Social Contract Theory
Social contract theory says that people live together in society in accordance with an agreement that establishes moral and political rules of behavior. Some people believe that if we live according to a social contract, we can live morally by our own choice and not because a divine being requires it.

Over the centuries, philosophers as far back as Socrates have tried to describe the ideal social contract, and to explain how existing social contracts have evolved. Philosopher Stuart Rachels suggests that morality is the set of rules governing behavior that rational people accept, on the condition that others accept them too.

Social contracts can be explicit, such as laws, or implicit, such as raising one’s hand in class to speak. The U.S. Constitution is often cited as an explicit example of part of America’s social contract. It sets out what the government can and cannot do. People who choose to live in America agree to be governed by the moral and political obligations outlined in the Constitution’s social contract.

Indeed, regardless of whether social contracts are explicit or implicit, they provide a valuable framework for harmony in society."

[Edited on 8-9-2021 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2021 at 12:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  

Lack of awareness doesn't make it invalid. :light:

"Social Contract Theory
Social contract theory says that people live together in society in accordance with an agreement that establishes moral and political rules of behavior. Some people believe that if we live according to a social contract, we can live morally by our own choice and not because a divine being requires it.

Over the centuries, philosophers as far back as Socrates have tried to describe the ideal social contract, and to explain how existing social contracts have evolved. Philosopher Stuart Rachels suggests that morality is the set of rules governing behavior that rational people accept, on the condition that others accept them too.

Social contracts can be explicit, such as laws, or implicit, such as raising one’s hand in class to speak. The U.S. Constitution is often cited as an explicit example of part of America’s social contract. It sets out what the government can and cannot do. People who choose to live in America agree to be governed by the moral and political obligations outlined in the Constitution’s social contract.

Indeed, regardless of whether social contracts are explicit or implicit, they provide a valuable framework for harmony in society."

[Edited on 8-9-2021 by motoged]

And so more and more people look to leave the centers of civilization in the bigger cities and more restrictive States and seek out a simpler less restrictive life in places like the Baja, Florida, Texas and Utah
 Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.