Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Trailer
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 02:09 PM

Camels seem to store water in their humps better than a horse can carry as well.

Camel milk is a plus as well.

And then there is the toe thing going on.:biggrin:

Always good anywhere in the desert....

Don't believe everything you think....
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 02:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
[rquote=1217]

The heater is a big plus for us and will extend the camping season for sure. We have a canvas Aussie camper now that we really liked but it's not much fun in the wind or super cold days, more of a tent on wheels.

Well, with some Baja experiance in the future you might throw the heater out. Nomads living in Baja in winter times are using tequlla as heater.:lol::lol::lol:
eastmeetswest
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 03:03 PM

That is a very good looking trailer. On the same topic, and I hope that it is not hijacking the thread. We have been flying to Cabo for many years and finally bought a house off grid on the East Cape. Anticipating that the borders will all be open to vehicle traffic, my wife and I are planning our first drive down the peninsula, BC-BCS. We want to bring a bunch of things down with us in our 4runner. We might end up having to tow a trailer. I am thinking about a 5x8 trailer with good wheels and tires. We will drive more or less straight to our home. I have a fair bit of experience towing trailers and so I am not nervous about towing it. However, I have read conflicting reports about the 'thrill' of towing a trailer down Hwy 1 and Hwy 5. Anything that you can share would be helpful. Thanks
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 03:35 PM

I have pulled a small utility trailer down the length of the peninsula a couple of times' with no real problems. That included following about 500 miles of the Score Baja 1k route one year!

My choice was to run with a slightly tongue heavy trailer with airbags on the tow vehicle to help carry the load. I also chose to set up my trailer with full size tires, and I ran them as soft as I could.

The weight on the tires should determine the pressure, not the maximum load called out on the trailer, or tires!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 04:48 PM

here is how much room you have on the narrow sections of MEX1

trailer.jpg - 307kB

Harald Pietschmann
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 05:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I have pulled a small utility trailer down the length of the peninsula a couple of times' with no real problems. That included following about 500 miles of the Score Baja 1k route one year!

My choice was to run with a slightly tongue heavy trailer with airbags on the tow vehicle to help carry the load. I also chose to set up my trailer with full size tires, and I ran them as soft as I could.

The weight on the tires should determine the pressure, not the maximum load called out on the trailer, or tires!

I do not understand what an airbag in the tow vehicle has to do with carrying a trailer load. Can you please explain that to me?? Never heard of that and I do have really experiance of towing. A flatbed double axle oversized width from TJ to CSL --- I did that many times. With camping trailers into the outback of France, Germany and right here in Baja. And:::: Running the tires on as low pressure as possible might not be the best choice. A low pressure tire is warming up real fast on long trips. Can catch fire. And might be dangerous in sharp curves as the tire can - I am not saying `will´ - jump off the rim as the trailer weight is forcing it. Depends on many things not to be discussed here. Anyway, use the precise pressure which is printed on the flank of the tire. Side effect: You are using less gas, less stress on the motor, if the tire pressure is correct as listed.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 05:11 PM

about flipping trailers

a fist size rock on a graded dirt road can send a trailer over
reason is that they don't have a suspension to soak up the sudden lift
the faster you drive, the more likely this will be

trailers carry their weight only on 2 tires (vs 4 on your truck)
double axle is not doing better since the weight is concentrated in the center (vs on 4 corners on your truck)
to create a trailer with long (soft) suspension travel one needs room
trailers are inherently limited in space
so, they all go over sooner or later

best would be a trailer with 4 tires on each corner, with soft suspension
but without steering they would not follow the truck
so, nobody built one yet

your way out (kinda), is to have the largest possible tires mounted and run them at the lowest possible pressure (tire acts as suspension)
LT tires do much better than designated trailer tires

not discrediting anyone or anything - just trying to help
I have studied this (not on youtube)

all trailers flip copy.jpg - 154kB

Harald Pietschmann
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 05:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

Exactly what I was refferring to: Oversized in width double axle flatbed.
(thanks for the pic, Harald)
Towing anything in regular width is a piece of cake compared to that!
Just use common sense when towing. Do not play around with the tire pressure when loaded. Just in case: If your trialer has no brakes, be awfull carefull going down a slope! FRENE CON MOTOR.
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 05:28 PM

U R right!! Flipping over a trailer is mostly a question of speed. You will never flip a trailer if you drive a lower speed (in the desert) Even if a fist size rock hits your tire. Low pressure? Yes, in the desert a must. Even on your tow truck. A flat is easier to catch as well as the flanks of the tire are more voulnarable.
Low pressure on the highway?? And trailer loaded? No way! Far too dangerous as explained already. BTW. Like your Merc G! Diesel?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 05:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JC43  
U R right!! Flipping over a trailer is mostly a question of speed. You will never flip a trailer if you drive a lower speed (in the desert) Even if a fist size rock hits your tire. Low pressure? Yes, in the desert a must. Even on your tow truck. A flat is easier to catch as well as the flanks of the tire are more voulnarable.
Low pressure on the highway?? And trailer loaded? No way! Far too dangerous as explained already. BTW. Like your Merc G! Diesel?

Why are you towing at high speed on ground with large rocks? Drive slower. Hitting rocks with your trailer beats your trailer up.
Hell, I don’t even like hitting rocks at speed when not towing trailer, it flocks up my truck.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 07:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  

We are at 400W of solar with four Lithium batteries, not sure on total amps? Still learning the system. It has a Bluetooth control that connects to my phone so I can monitor it. Fridge is the only real draw if we use it ( we have an ARB in the truck as well). Inside cook top, heater and water heater are diesel powered, BBQ and outside stove are propane. I don't see running the microwave much?
No AC and we aren't sure if we will add it?

400W solar + 4 Li batts, you'll be fine except for maybe rainy periods lasting longer than 5 days. Careful use of microwave should be possible with an adequate size inverter. Electric fridge and microwave will be the biggest draw on batteries.

You won't be able to run AC on batteries and solar for any meaningful period of time.

Diesel powered inside stove sounds odd.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 07:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

Diesel powered inside stove sounds odd.

I have been on sailboats with gimballed diesel stoves....sin problemas.

Don't believe everything you think....
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 07:37 PM

So I'll add a few more pictures and information. Australia doesn't allow the use of propane inside of a trailer, so diesel, stove, heater and water it is. I understand it's common on boats as well?

This trailer has on board air, dual airbags and shocks. A-arm suspension, not a single axel like most trailers have. It tows very good on and offroad, it also has electric over hydraulic brakes. The entire under side is hot dipped galvanized after its built.

The video is about the same as the rig I will be pulling it with but with a Hemi...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl9ieG2QEDU

outside kitchen.

Looking at the front, the direction it's towed in. Bathroom, kitchen and storage.

bed with table put away.

Trailers aren't for everyone but this is the way we like to roll. We will be headed to Alaska for the summer next year and Baja for the winter. If you see us stop for a beer and say hi!
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 08:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by eastmeetswest  
That is a very good looking trailer. On the same topic, and I hope that it is not hijacking the thread. We have been flying to Cabo for many years and finally bought a house off grid on the East Cape. Anticipating that the borders will all be open to vehicle traffic, my wife and I are planning our first drive down the peninsula, BC-BCS. We want to bring a bunch of things down with us in our 4runner. We might end up having to tow a trailer. I am thinking about a 5x8 trailer with good wheels and tires. We will drive more or less straight to our home. I have a fair bit of experience towing trailers and so I am not nervous about towing it. However, I have read conflicting reports about the 'thrill' of towing a trailer down Hwy 1 and Hwy 5. Anything that you can share would be helpful. Thanks

Okay, I'll jump in.

Hope nobody sees this as a thread hijack... If you have a bunch more questions, maybe start your own thread... it'll make everyone here happy.

First, congratulations on your home purchase.

A 5 x 8 trailer is probably the same width of your 4-runner, or a smidge wider. You mention you're familiar with towing trailers, but before departing, practice placing your trailer passenger side tire on the roadside white line and be very familiar and confident of hugging the line.. Oncoming traffic will sometimes force you over as well as traffic passing you, cutting in front of you way too soon. Very often, the white line is the edge of the road, if there is a white line.
Over the years, highway improvements continue, but maintenance to them doesn't.

Ensure your tires are good shape as well as the spare, bearings too.

Topes.... a.k.a. speed bumps. If you're not familiar with them, you soon will be. Hit one at speed and your trailer will likely lose an axle and damage to your tow vehicle... Topes are notoriously placed in the shadows of trees, thereby becoming invisible until it's too late to slow down.

Tongue weight = 10-15% of the total trailer weight but you probably know this already.

There's one really steep, windy and long decent just before Santa Rosalía, the demise and graveyard of many trucks and trailers as well as motor homes. It's about 200 KM's south of Guerrero Negro. Seriously gear down and use your brakes sparingly.

Don't be in a hurry and stop for the night before it gets dark.... huge potholes, disappearing white lines, cows/horses on the road, oncoming blinding lights on semis,,,, you get the idea.

If you meet a vehicle with it's 4 way flashers going, it's a warning that there's an obstacle on the road ahead.. could be a wreck, cow, construction, or maybe he/she just forgot to turn their flashers off.

Anyways, hope this helps a bit.

[Edited on 8-12-2021 by KasloKid]
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 09:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JC43  
U R right!! BTW. Like your Merc G! Diesel?

the red 300GD (Diesel) is not mine.
mine is the black G500 towing the flatbed

Harald Pietschmann
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 09:11 PM

Super sweet AdvRider. Looks like lots of sexy time for you and the misses to have in there. :biggrin:

[Edited on 8-12-2021 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-11-2021 at 09:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Super sweet AdvRider. Looks like lots of sexy time to for you and the misses to have in there. :biggrin:

Shorty, you are a weird and creepy little man

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2021 at 06:48 AM

Thanks for the info KasloKid, all good advise. I've been towing my smaller camp trailer for a number of years but always good to get others take on things.

I have spare air bags and wheel bearings for both sides. Three matching tires plus assorted plugs and patches. The trailer has a compressor as well as one in my truck.

Thanks JZ, we will be checking out some remote private beach time for sure.

eastmeetswest
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2021 at 09:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

Great picture. Thanks. It gives a good perspective. A picture is worth...
eastmeetswest
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2021 at 10:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by KasloKid  
Quote: Originally posted by eastmeetswest  

Okay, I'll jump in.

Hope nobody sees this as a thread hijack... If you have a bunch more questions, maybe start your own thread... it'll make everyone here happy.

First, congratulations on your home purchase.

A 5 x 8 trailer is probably the same width of your 4-runner, or a smidge wider. You mention you're familiar with towing trailers, but before departing, practice placing your trailer passenger side tire on the roadside white line and be very familiar and confident of hugging the line.. Oncoming traffic will sometimes force you over as well as traffic passing you, cutting in front of you way too soon. Very often, the white line is the edge of the road, if there is a white line.
Over the years, highway improvements continue, but maintenance to them doesn't.

Ensure your tires are good shape as well as the spare, bearings too.

Topes.... a.k.a. speed bumps. If you're not familiar with them, you soon will be. Hit one at speed and your trailer will likely lose an axle and damage to your tow vehicle... Topes are notoriously placed in the shadows of trees, thereby becoming invisible until it's too late to slow down.

Tongue weight = 10-15% of the total trailer weight but you probably know this already.

There's one really steep, windy and long decent just before Santa Rosalía, the demise and graveyard of many trucks and trailers as well as motor homes. It's about 200 KM's south of Guerrero Negro. Seriously gear down and use your brakes sparingly.

Don't be in a hurry and stop for the night before it gets dark.... huge potholes, disappearing white lines, cows/horses on the road, oncoming blinding lights on semis,,,, you get the idea.

If you meet a vehicle with it's 4 way flashers going, it's a warning that there's an obstacle on the road ahead.. could be a wreck, cow, construction, or maybe he/she just forgot to turn their flashers off.

Anyways, hope this helps a bit.

[Edited on 8-12-2021 by KasloKid]

Thank you for taking the time to give such a great summary. Those topes always seem to sneak up on you. And the East Cape is a livestock highway particularly around dusk as the animals head home for the night. Driving at night is definitely to be avoided.

I picked the 5x8 to match the width of the 4Runner and minimize being squeezed too often.

Back to the main thread. That trailer looks very comfortable. Well designed. The diesel stove inside is a bit odd and smelly. I have had kerosene stoves on many boats and almost always changed them out for propane. Propane is safe as long as you remember that it sinks and needs to "drain"
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.