BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: We got Robbed. anyone know this guy?
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2021 at 03:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JC43  
Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
I'd give the cops $500 so they put the thief in jail for 6 months.

... IF IT HAPPENS !!!! (the Police will presumably buy Coke (or cerveza) for the next 6 month)..... and just in case he is released after 3 days ... you are the first he will visit again asking you - but not politely - for $ 1000. My thought: Stupid is who stupid does. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thanks, I was hoping someone would respond to this idiotic statement.

John
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 8-13-2021 at 03:08 PM

Police and Delegato came by, reports are done. A reward and pictures are up on the local boards. Yes I know all the good advice, been living on and off here for 25 plus years. We had house sitters but they got called away last min for an emergency. Next day Lynn goes over to check on things because we will be back on the property Saturday. She is on camera, 28 mins after she leaves this creep shows up. Dogs are nice but they tend to want to come with us all the time or chase us right out the gate until we relent. He parked on the main highway 4 PM in the afternoon walked in and used our wheelbarrow to make 2 trips in and out a long ass driveway with some serious battery weight.

It is what it is. I just want the jerk caught and have the chit slapped out of him by the cops in the back room.

I basically posted this to give folks in the area a heads up and to see if anyone recognizes him.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-13-2021 at 03:14 PM

So sorry this happened, Max. Is this home of yours near where I saw the bus was in 2001 (in relation to the highway)? That was quite some distance to wheelbarrow stuff, if yes?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 8-13-2021 at 03:32 PM

I'd give the cops $500 or so with the agreement they put the thief in jail for 6 months.

My good friend in SC was the boat captain for the Chief and that's how we did things there.

Don't be a victim.

That used to be good advice several years ago when Mexico was still under the old system of criminal justice but ever since the criminal justice reform legislation was passed a few years back, it has cut the legs off of LE at all levels and took away many of the "tools" the ministeriales would use to pressure the perps into a confession.

Today, the criminal justice system is badly broken down here and literally a revolving door for criminals who are often now arrested, charged and released while still awaiting trial on a list of prior charges for which they haven't even been to court yet.

Several recent opinion surveys all show that the people of Mexico are fed up with this current system and I expect that whoever wins the presidency down here in 2024 will do so on a platform promising to scale back and/or modify many of those reforms that were implemented.

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 8-13-2021 at 04:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
hey it could be worse:(.........
Ambushed on Highway 5
Dejando Huella is a local and very reliable news source operated by my good friend Angel Anguiano who has very good sources with the local, state and federal police / national guard.

Angel reported earlier this morning that last Wednesday, August 11, tourists traveling in a caravan of three vehicles were ambushed at kilometer 148 on the Puertecitos-Chapala Highway.

Authorities were contacted by the manager of a local business in Bahia San Luis Gonzaga who informed the responding officers of a group of 7 foreigners who arrived, stating that while traveling on the Puertecitos-Chapala Highway, a black Toyota Tundra Pickup Vehicle blocked their way.
Several armed men wearing hoods got out of the vehicle blocking the highway and took their personal belongings and then fled northbound with their vehicles.

The vehicles reported stolen are a black Tahoe truck, a white Toyota Tacoma Pickup and a Nissan 4Runner truck.

btw this is from TB

[Edited on 8-13-2021 by Don Pisto]

Also now posted in the following thread:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=96445

Sourced from Baja Gringo at Talk Baja ("TB") here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TalkBaja/posts/4944277315586...

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2021 at 04:17 PM

I'd give the cops $500 or so with the agreement they put the thief in jail for 6 months.

My good friend in SC was the boat captain for the Chief and that's how we did things there.

Don't be a victim.
[Edited on 8-13-2021 by JZ]

If you had cops in your pocket, or were tight with a Chief, this could work. Otherwise, I wouldn't trust cops to do anything. Guessing this is Pescadero jurisdiction.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2021 at 05:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
So sorry this happened, Max. Is this home of yours near where I saw the bus was in 2001 (in relation to the highway)? That was quite some distance to wheelbarrow stuff, if yes?

Yeah those L-16's are unwieldy and heavy as hell. It's a long up and down with steep hills.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2021 at 05:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Yeah those L-16's are unwieldy and heavy as hell. It's a long steep up and down several hills to get in and out that driveway.

Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2021 at 05:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
This is just terrible. Great photo of him. Hass anyone else been robbed and did they get their stuff back?

Brazilian mastiffs are HUGE. Even if you have them, they need to be trained not to eat from anyone but the family member's hands so that they won't be poisoned.

It's the usual petty thievery, a few years back our friends Greg n Myra had some stuff stolen and ended up getting it back, had the guy on camera. They even had the pleasure of hearing the police in the back room talk some sense into the bums.

No serious violence associated with theft in years but ya never know.

Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2021 at 06:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
Sorry to hear. I'm sure you've already shared this with Lidia and her family. I'm sure someone knows him.

Funny some of the advice you're getting considering how long you've lived in Mexico.

Good luck!

Yeah the whole town knows about it now. Ernesto was there with the cops. Good man, I've known him over 25 years.

Hopefully they catch the guy and beat the crap out of him.

Rossman
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2021 at 06:20 PM

Here's a little story that fits into this thread. About 2 months ago my house was broken into while I was in BdLA. Computer, TV, some countertop appliances. Seems every day I discover something else missing. Reported to local police and they asked me tom report it to the organization that investigates these things in Vizcaino. They did everything possible to avoid taking my report. Do you have your passport? Lease agreement? Utility bill etc. Agreed to come back the next day with all of this non important information to do the report. Meanwhile, I got a visit from a local friend that brought a couple guys who asked all the right questions and were very interested in what was taken, crime scene evidence (foot prints) everything about the breakin. The first thing that struck me was they each had a Glock 9 mm auto in their waistband. While they followed footprints, I asked my friend if they were cops or what the story was. He had a hard time explaining but called them mafia. They step in when local police are ineffective. Sort of a vigilante group. Footprints led to a seedy motel close by and they actually broke into a room of folks that I suspected in the first place and found some evidence of my stuff but nothing big and nothing absolutely provable as mine. The folks from the motel disappeared the day I returned from BdLA and showed up in Bahia Tortugas, supposedly with a pocket full of money. Anyway I never got anything back but had more confidence in these freelancers than any other organizations. A lot more to the story but tried to be concise, and failed.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 8-13-2021 at 06:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

Police here in the states rarely investigate property crimes anymore. That's pretty much left to insurance today. Or, just suck it up.

John

[Edited on 8-13-2021 by John Harper]

Maybe in California, where police forces are being defunded and gun ownership is looked down on. Crooks know what's going on, and are taking advantage of it.

But police in Idaho still take property crimes seriously. So does the average citizen in Idaho.

We're 49th in incidence of property crime per 100k residents. California is, naturally, above the national average. Car theft happens about four times as much in California as in Idaho, per 100k persons.

Deterrence, not "sucking it up" works up here.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2021 at 07:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajabus  
Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
Sorry to hear. I'm sure you've already shared this with Lidia and her family. I'm sure someone knows him.

Funny some of the advice you're getting considering how long you've lived in Mexico.

Good luck!

Yeah the whole town knows about it now. Ernesto was there with the cops. Good man, I've known him over 25 years.

Hopefully they catch the guy and beat the crap out of him.

Basic advice and personally don't know who lives where or how long.

Entry wasn't mentioned. Care to share that? What will you do to thwart the next attempt?

Pick up a MX dog and train it for security. Just thinking out loud.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2021 at 03:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajabus  
Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
This is just terrible. Great photo of him. Hass anyone else been robbed and did they get their stuff back?

Brazilian mastiffs are HUGE. Even if you have them, they need to be trained not to eat from anyone but the family member's hands so that they won't be poisoned.

It's the usual petty thievery, a few years back our friends Greg n Myra had some stuff stolen and ended up getting it back, had the guy on camera. They even had the pleasure of hearing the police in the back room talk some sense into the bums.

No serious violence associated with theft in years but ya never know.
The cops now are unlikely to do anything about it. Last year there was a group from Pescadero robbing houses in the San Pedrito neighborhood. Several people caught them in the neighborhood, once driving a stolen UTV, there were also security camera videos that were obviously them, everyone knew where they lived, yet the cops were completely useless, and refused to do anything. You pretty much have to catch them in the act, even catching them with the loot isn't good enough anymore, apparently, possession of stolen property is not a crime in Mexico, and they will just make up a story that they found it in the bushes or bought it from some guy on the beach. There was an incident a couple of years ago where someone had their laptop stolen and used Find My Mac to trace to a house in Pescadero, the cops said they couldn't do anything but knock on the door and ask politely if they had it. Of course they said they didn't, and that was the end of it.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2021 at 05:14 PM

Need to start a rumor; the bad guy was bragging he does this all the time, he made a lot of $$$ and the local cartels guys get a cut.

If & when the local cartels hears that, problem solved or proof of how bad it is.
Baja is never B&W its always grey, just got to deal with it accordingly.

Es Todo Bueno
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 8-16-2021 at 05:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Rossman  

Here's a little story that fits into this thread. About 2 months ago my house was broken into while I was in BdLA. ... Meanwhile, I got a visit from a local friend that brought a couple guys .... each had a Glock 9 mm auto in their waistband. .... called them mafia. They step in when local police are ineffective. Sort of a vigilante group...

Ross,
Sorry to hear of the breakin.

I have had conversations with locals on the mainland (Oaxaca state) in the past and they seemed to equate "mafia" with cartel guys.... but they are "sensitive" conversations and the locals were not comfortable exploring my curiosity of how cartels police their low-level thugs.... or just how vigilante groups (the "good guys") operate. I am aware of the shifting status of the vigilante effort/history in Michoacan....

Did you ever get wind of any follow-up?

[Edited on 8-17-2021 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 8-16-2021 at 06:40 PM

Here's a little story that fits into this thread. About 2 months ago my house was broken into while I was in BdLA. Computer, TV, some countertop appliances. Seems every day I discover something else missing. Reported to local police and they asked me tom report it to the organization that investigates these things in Vizcaino. They did everything possible to avoid taking my report. Do you have your passport? Lease agreement? Utility bill etc. Agreed to come back the next day with all of this non important information to do the report. Meanwhile, I got a visit from a local friend that brought a couple guys who asked all the right questions and were very interested in what was taken, crime scene evidence (foot prints) everything about the breakin. The first thing that struck me was they each had a Glock 9 mm auto in their waistband. While they followed footprints, I asked my friend if they were cops or what the story was. He had a hard time explaining but called them mafia. They step in when local police are ineffective. Sort of a vigilante group. Footprints led to a seedy motel close by and they actually broke into a room of folks that I suspected in the first place and found some evidence of my stuff but nothing big and nothing absolutely provable as mine. The folks from the motel disappeared the day I returned from BdLA and showed up in Bahia Tortugas, supposedly with a pocket full of money. Anyway I never got anything back but had more confidence in these freelancers than any other organizations. A lot more to the story but tried to be concise, and failed.

I reported one of my more than 10 break ins (before i got the dogs) to the authorities.
Yes, they try to make it as difficult as possible to do so.
Papers, papers, papers. And then more papers.
About an hour of questions about me.
Where were you born. Why did you move to Mexico.
Grandma's maiden name. I am not kidding.
Pictures of the stolen goods. Receipts. Why did you buy them?

2 hours for the whole procedure.
More paper. Lotsa copies.
It was a very unpleasant inquiry about me and my life.

The outcome?
Nada. Nothing.
Serious waste of time

Harald Pietschmann
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-16-2021 at 08:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

I reported one of my more than 10 break ins (before i got the dogs) to the authorities.
Yes, they try to make it as difficult as possible to do so.
Papers, papers, papers. And then more papers.
About an hour of questions about me.
Where were you born. Why did you move to Mexico.
Grandma's maiden name. I am not kidding.
Pictures of the stolen goods. Receipts. Why did you buy them?

2 hours for the whole procedure.
More paper. Lotsa copies.
It was a very unpleasant inquiry about me and my life.

The outcome?
Nada. Nothing.
Serious waste of time

They sound like very thorough investigators. I like it that they took time to investigate all avenues.

:lol:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 8-17-2021 at 10:11 AM

We had a few break-ins in Punta Chivato a few years back. The local cops started patrolling (still are- saw them in May/June) and a neighborhood watch was started. Seems to help.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 8-18-2021 at 03:27 AM

found this 2013 news on the computer today. No, you did not see a smile on my face.

"03-26-2013, La Paz, Baja California Sur. - A presumed thief who is still unidentified, jumped into a well that was more than 60 feet deep, and died from drowning and multiple fractures, mainly of the neck, reported police sources.

The event happened at 9PM yesterday in Ejido El Centenario, Baja California Sur. The subject was being pursued by State Ministerial Police and he had an outstanding arrest warrant for stealing tires and rims.

Upon seeing he was surrounded near a home, he jumped into a well to avoid being arrested. He died instantaneously."

loved that forum, and many others that have died to make room for big and dumbed down forums

Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 4.24.31 AM.png - 105kB

Harald Pietschmann
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.