Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Buying Baja Registered Vehicles
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 8-31-2021 at 04:10 PM

check with Baja Paperworks in La Paz
I believe you can do the entire paperwork for residency locally (no embassy)

Harald Pietschmann
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2021 at 04:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
have a "neighbor" buy/register one for you
Mexicans are trustworthy
saves you the double insurance (Mex/US)
makes it less likely that the police intimidates you into bribes

The bribe issue was one of my major reasons to look into this. Insurance doubling secondary. Maybe we can do a deal with a neighbor, may be workable. Reasons to get permanent residency keep building.

Got some good generalizations going here. Mexicans are trustworthy? Police ''less likely'' to intimidate you if you drive a MX plated car? Wow. Not the Baja I know.

Bigger issue here hasn't been addressed. I think you have a confidence problem. That'll come with more time in Baja. Do you speak enough Spanish to negotiate with the police?

A great source for not being intimidated by police, or how to deal with cops, generally, esp. where mordida is involved, is from Paul (gnu kid).

He has written great advice on verbal and mental jiu-jitsu in how to handle cops.

My experience getting a RP was 15 years ago and it was a royal PIA. Don't know how a Canadian can get RP and still have to be in Canada 6 months a year. Guess MX doesn't know that.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2021 at 05:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  

https://www.mexperience.com/mexico-offers-special-residency-...

How strange. I wonder why they're doing this? :?:

I wonder if this was related to the people who could not return to their countries because flights from Mexico were cancelled due to Covid?

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
eastmeetswest
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2021 at 05:34 PM

I will tell you the things that have applied to us. We are Canadian. You can not drive a Mexican plated car without a Mexican drivers license. If you get stopped - fine and possibly the car impounded - depends on the cop and your negotiation skills. Many people (Americans and Canadians drive cars plated in South Dakota becasue you can get a decal wihout buying insurance. SD doesn't need to see the car to register it. Then you can buy Mexican insurance and avoid the double insurance. We bought a car off craigslist in SJD that was registered in New Jersey and transferred it to SD, then bought Mexican insurance online. I have been stopped without issue. The car did not have a salvage title. I have been told that you can get Temporary residence without starting at an Embassy outside Mexico. However, this will require a fixer (someone that you pay who greases the system). I have not done this yet as it isn't necessary in our circumstances. You can bring a car registered in British Columbia down to Mexico. You will need to buy Mexican insurance. When the car is situated in Mexico, you can cancel the British Columbia insurance and tell ICBC that it is not coming home. You can then register the car and get decals every year without insurance. Rate class 919. You can get a Mexican drivers license without residency. you pay a fixer. I paid $4000 pesos total and they took care of the doctor's certificate and everything else. The cost for the license if you do it yourself is about $700 pesos at the drivers license office plus the cost of the doctors certificate and the other accompanying documents. If you pay the fixer, you will get your license in a couple of hours.

So, in summary, if you don't have a Mexican DL, buy a car with US plates. SD is the easiest.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2021 at 05:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by eastmeetswest  
system) When the car is situated in Mexico, you can cancel the British Columbia insurance and tell ICBC that it is not coming home. You can then register the car and get decals every year without insurance. Rate class 919.

Thanks a lot for that one: I talked to two ICBC agents and they both said this was not possible. Yet, several friends have done this without any problems i have heard of. What can i say...it's ICBC

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2021 at 09:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Don't know how a Canadian can get RP and still have to be in Canada 6 months a year. Guess MX doesn't know that.

What are you talking about? There aren't any rules about how long you have to stay in Mexico when you have a RP. Mexico doesn't care if you spend 4 months in Mexico each year and 8 in Canada, or whatever.
And where did you get the idea that Canadians have to be in Canada 6 months a year? I spend about 11 months a year in Mexico and 1 in Canada. All it means is that I'm not covered by Canadian health insurance unless I were to go back and spend 3 months there so the insurance kicked back in.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2021 at 06:45 AM

Surabi: So you are still eligible for full CPP and OAS while you are out of Canada more than 6 months per year? Interesting, I had thought otherwise from my reading of the conditions. I did know you lost the Medical. Would be great to see the 3 countries move towards more of a cooperative block like the EU has.

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2021 at 10:36 AM

Surabi: So you are still eligible for full CPP and OAS while you are out of Canada more than 6 months per year? Interesting, I had thought otherwise from my reading of the conditions. I did know you lost the Medical. Would be great to see the 3 countries move towards more of a cooperative block like the EU has.

It depends upon whether a Canadian declares non-residency in Canada. There are no hard and fast rules for that- it is based upon many factors, not simply how many months a year you spend in Canada. If there is a dispute about it, it is determined by an immigration judge.

Many Canadians who primarily live in Mexico find it preferable to declare non-residency, as it means that while they would have their CPP and OAS payments reduced by 15%, it also means they don't have to file or pay Canadian taxes.

Quite different from the US, which taxes its citizens, even if they have never lived or worked in the US, or even stepped foot on US soil, as opposed to its residents. Only other country in the world that does that is Eritrea.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2021 at 11:02 AM

Thanks so much for that additional info. Lots to think about, and we are definitely going to examine the pros and cons surrounding this issue. Local Mexican health insurance I assume is also available if you are a permanent resident, which may offset significantly what we pay for our extended insurance here.

charliemanson
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2021 at 06:54 PM

All you need is a Mexican DL which takes 20 min and your good.. Thanks for trying to do the right thing as you will be much more respected by locals who do pay the minimal yearly taxes. For me its all of 300 pesos for a 2019 truck. Or you can to the gringo< cheat the system route, and spend more and get no respect from Mexicans and do the SD thing.

Just MHO.

PS. I get free health care if I choose to go through the system, but choose no to wait and just go pay for it

Last MRI was all of 75 bucks
charliemanson
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2021 at 07:22 PM

All you need is a Mexican DL which takes 20 min and your good.. Thanks for trying to do the right thing as you will be much more respected by locals who do pay the minimal yearly taxes. For me its all of 300 pesos for a 2019 truck. Or you can to the gringo< cheat the system route, and spend more and get no respect from Mexicans and do the SD thing.

Just MHO.

PS. I get free health care if I choose to go through the system, but choose no to wait and just go pay for it

Last MRI was all of 75 bucks
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2021 at 08:08 PM

No time limit for someone with a MX RP being outside of MX. When I transitioned from RT to RP (RT required for 4 years), there were restrictions on how long the applicant could be outside of MX during the process.

The Canadians I know in Baja have Canadian health insurance. They go North within 6 months.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

F*ck it.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2021 at 03:57 PM

You're misreading the rules on Canadian pensions.
CPP doesn't depend on out of country time, GIS does (there might be non-resident tax on CPP, don't remember, but you have to officially sever residential ties by writing a letter).

OAS doesn't depend on out of country time either, but there is non-resident tax (15%?) for those who have officially become non-residents.

GIS stops after 6 months of uninterrupted absence, not 6 months per year. If you try and go back-forth for a couple of months, say, 5 times a year - this might work for a while but at some point they might catch up and deem you to be not "ordinarily residing in Canada" because your routine life is tied to Mexico more than to Canada, and thus not eligible for GIS. Then they will want you to return GIS overpaid for all the years that you were not eligible.

Back to the cars...
The easiest way would be to bring an old car from Canada and leave it in Baja. ICBC refunds you insurance for the time that car stayed in Mexico, but you have to pay every year non-refundable licensing fees - not much. Did this every year though it was for my regular Canadian car, not permanent "Baja car". The problem is - you can't bring it now to Baja because CAN/US border is closed. You could try buying in Baja but I don't see many Canadian-registered cars for sale in Baja.

[Edited on 9-4-2021 by Alm]
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2021 at 04:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by charliemanson  
All you need is a Mexican DL which takes 20 min and your good.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, we don't need Mexican DL to drive a US or CAN plated car in Mexico.

Or, if this is for driving Mex-registered car bought used in Mexico and imported by a previous owner or Mex dealer - from what I hear, you can't register a car in Mexico without at least a temporary residence. Was possible in the past with FMM, not anymore.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2021 at 06:15 PM

Thanks Alm, that's a whole lot of good info for me personally. Yes, we had planned on driving one of our vehicles there and leaving it to fly back, using it on our frequent visits there to head into town for supplies. With the border closed still we abandoned that idea and are flying in and out this time.
When they open the US borders we will revisit that, as it is just too good a vehicle for our purposes to scrap and too old to be imported from what we've read.

OAS...i already claim it as taxable income so no difference there, CPP the same, GIS...i don't get any so no loss there. Replacing the medical (increasingly less value) and at 200/month plus medical travel insurance on top for increasingly lower value Blue Cross extended medical with Mexico sourced medical insurance may be very workable.

How charliemanson managed to get an MRI for $75 is beyond me, as it cost my daughter several thousand up front when she needed one on a sudden injury in La Paz despite being covered by Blue Cross.

[Edited on 9-4-2021 by JDCanuck]

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 9-3-2021 at 07:11 PM

How charliemanson managed to get an MRI for $75 is beyond me, as it cost my daughter several thousand up front when she needed one on a sudden injury in La Paz despite being covered by Blue Cross.

some La Paz hospitals prey on foreigners
be super careful

few years back (La Paz did not have an MRI machine yet) I went to a Cabo hospital (high prices, designed to fleece cruise tourists)
I was quoted $US 2,500 when I called in
when I filled in my paperwork with address and CURP the front desk lady said "Oh, you are a local, then you pay only $US 1,100."
good!

bottom line - be careful in the tourist triangle

Harald Pietschmann
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2021 at 08:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
When I transitioned from RT to RP (RT required for 4 years),

Was that back in the FM-3 -> FM-2 -> Inmigrado days, or had they already gone to plastic when you started?

That's it. Dark ages. Bureaucratic BS. Wouldn't do it again.

F*ck it.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2021 at 10:49 PM

$75 MRI must be for one small area like elbow. Without contrast.

"I have been told that you can get Temporary residence without starting at an Embassy outside Mexico. However, this will require a fixer (someone that you pay who greases the system). "

I wonder how this is possible other than the above mentioned special processing for expired FMM. Only a couple of immigrant classes can apply in Mexico - like spouses of Mexicans or parents of Mex-born children. For retirees the process of applying in Embassy is straightforward anyway, gathering the papers and taking photos is all that there is to it.

[Edited on 9-4-2021 by Alm]
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2021 at 11:25 PM

OAS...i already claim it as taxable income so no difference there, CPP the same,

Taxable, not taxed. OAS and most of your CPP goes into tax exempt. You're paying taxes on your other income.
eastmeetswest
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2021 at 03:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Quote: Originally posted by charliemanson  
All you need is a Mexican DL which takes 20 min and your good.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, we don't need Mexican DL to drive a US or CAN plated car in Mexico.

Or, if this is for driving Mex-registered car bought used in Mexico and imported by a previous owner or Mex dealer - from what I hear, you can't register a car in Mexico without at least a temporary residence. Was possible in the past with FMM, not anymore.

If you are driving a US or CDN plated car in Baja, you don't need a Mexican DL. If you buy a US plated car and you are Canadian, you need to do a work around to get a US address to register the US car in South Dakota. We used Jankovics in San Lucas. He set up a US partnership using his office address in the US and then we used that address for our SD registration. It worked, but I am sure there are other ways to do it.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.