Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Hurricane Olaf
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-11-2021 at 02:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

Road between Centenario and La Paz completely flooded (hasn't even happen during Odile)
access to airport flooded and impassable

Hurricane Henriette (2007) did the same. Flooded the interchange at H/W 1 and the airport road.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2021 at 09:56 PM

Just got into La Paz at 8 pm tonight, road was surprisingly good from airport in San Jose up through Todos Santos, and lots of CFE crews out along the way, altho son-in-laws place is still without power and One La Paz Hotel has some electrical issues still.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
azucena
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2021 at 07:16 AM

eastmeetswest

I am not sure what part of the East Cape you want info on, but a local friend near Los Frailles told me that they received a lot of rain, so arroyos are fully flowing. No cell service and most internet is out.
Some fallen trees, but no major damage she has seen.
This is as of a few days ago. Hope this helps.
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2021 at 08:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by eastmeetswest  
We have heard 3rd hand reports of extensive damage on the East Cape but we can't confirm much. Our internet is down at our house their so I can't access our cameras. Does anyone have any direct information about the East Cape. I am told the arroyas had lots of water and many parts of the road are unpassable.

Check “Everything Los Barriles” Facebook page for info, pix & videos.

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 9-12-2021 at 01:17 PM

Los Barriles is a completely different environment than East Cape
it is on MEX1
it has all the cell towers
it has to accommodate the through traffic to La Paz/Los Cabos

Harald Pietschmann
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2021 at 01:37 PM

Olaf hit HARD from Zacatitos out towards Vinorama on the east cape road. In our neighborhood near La Fortuna there were palapa roofs blown down or severely ruffled, windows blown in and solar panels distributed far and wide. At my house we have hurricane shutters which thankfully prevented water from coming in. Our garden is pretty much frazzled. There is a lot of erosion of the roads in the community as well as through our yards. So hard wind and lots of rain.

If you have a caretaker it would be wise to have him or her check on your place. The last thing you want is to have a soggy bed or rug or whatever grow mold while you are gone.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
eastmeetswest
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2021 at 01:47 PM

Thanks for the reports. We are just south of Villa del Faro. Our caretaker couldn't make it our yesterday. She said that she was trying again today. Still no report. I hope everyone is well and that the damage is not severe. This one came up quickly and caught a lot of people off guard.
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2021 at 02:03 PM

Many sources include Los Barriles within the East Cape as indicated by endless sources, including Mexfish:
https://www.mexfish.com/ecap/ecap/ecapmp/ecapmp.htm

“ Although its northernmost waters are usually accessed by sportfishing boats coming south out of La Paz, from a fishing point of view "East Cape" might be defined as the area between Canal de Cerralvo in the north, to the deep trench that touches the shore at Punta los Frailes in the south. This is the last section of "pure" Sea of Cortez, for south of Los Frailes, the fishing waters begin to show more properties of the open Pacific Ocean, such as surf and swell.

Some well-known East Cape fishing areas visited by the area's multitude of charter cruisers, pangas, and private boats include: El Sargento, Bahia de la Ventana, Isla Cerralvo, Canal de Cerralvo, the "88 bank," Roca Montana, Punta Arena de la Ventana, Punta Perico, Ensenada de los Muertos, El Cardonal, Cerro Verde, Punta Pescadero, "The Pyramids" or "The Slide," Los Barriles, Buena Vista, La Ribera, Punta Arena, Punta Colorada, Cabo Pulmo, Los Frailes, Las Barracas, Las Destiladeras, and sometimes as far south as the Gordo Banks of San Jose del Cabo”

LB has 2 significant arroyos, though one of which Olaf’s watery bounty has cut off a main road. The main road through town was flooded to wheel rim height. The power is still out in many places and people are cleaning up.

Olaf has left his mark and didn’t rearrange the map, but I suppose geography can be a state of mind.

[Edited on 9-12-2021 by windgrrl]

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
torch
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2021 at 04:13 PM

we just left abreojos and no rain there but vizcaino got a good bit.
eastmeetswest
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2021 at 08:48 AM

Well that is certainly an interesting definition of the East Cape from a tidal point of view. However, I think that many people include as far south as Zacatitos in the East Cape from a land perspective. In any event, our house in near Vinorama just south of Villa del Faro. I call it East Cape.

And Olaf did much more than deliver 'blessed rain". Our house and our some of our neighbour's suffered downed trees, ripped off palapas, destroyed pergolas along with substantial water and sand penetration. Friends have sent pictures of significant damage. Olaf ripped a steel awning off our house and downed most of our trees over 4 feet high.

We have received reports that winds exceeded 185 kmh at a neighbour's house. The East Cape road from the south was mostly impassible to anything but tall 4x4's even late yesterday. The total damage to our house will probably cost about $5-10K to repair. I am reminded of the 3 little pigs. Thank heavens our pig built the house from brick
azucena
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2021 at 08:51 PM

East meets west
That is the weirdness of hurricanes: they can be strangely localized. Not that far further north of you damage reports have not been so severe. Buena suerte y espero que todo salga bien...
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2021 at 08:14 AM

eastmeetswest,
Our place is close to La Fortuna. I like to tell people that we live on the Near East Cape.

It sounds like you guys got hit as hard or harder than we did. I wish I could find a good site to go to to see historical storm tracks that show where the eye came ashore with some accuracy.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
BajaUtah
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2021 at 01:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by El Jefe  
eastmeetswest,
I wish I could find a good site to go to to see historical storm tracks that show where the eye came ashore with some accuracy.

EEBMike.com. Bottom of the page has storm tracks by year.

Andy
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.