surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2021 at 07:38 AM

My destination was GN. btw.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2021 at 09:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

My question on location is related to whether there's a difference in retén behavior depending on the Zona...

[Edited on 10-9-2021 by lencho]

I'd guess the difference from checkpoint to checkpoint is a function of the on-site commander. Apparently, there are some unethical officers working the San Ignacio checkpoint.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-9-2021 at 09:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Chit, I'm going through there next week with a car full of stuff.

Glass half full version: An opportunity to chat 'em up as they go through your stuff.

See if you can find out why they're so thorough now; is it just to find things to rip off, or has the policy changed up the line so they're actually looking more thoroughly for contraband?

Side note: I've entertained the idea of storing some really stinky dirty laundry in a tempting-lookin duffle bag. Soiled Depends would be good one for us "mature" folks. ("Disculpe, con todo respeto, yo que fuera usted, no abriría esa maleta...")Text

[Edited on 10-9-2021 by lencho]

Not sure how a soldier would respond to one of us asking him if he was following orders or just looking to rip me off....:biggrin:

Those in the know will need to sharpen their stash skills ...:light:

And leaving a stash of chitty briefs, boxers, or depends would require a week camping in the desert before hitting SI.... so those doing the Cabo Dash might slow down and smell the cactus to build up their supply of stink.

Don't believe everything you think....
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-9-2021 at 09:40 AM

It will be interesting to see if my "big dog" pass gets me through San Ignacio again! It failed at the inspection point south of the hwy 3/5 junction last year.

There was a "dog lover" soldier that had her out of the car playing with her, right in the middle of the inspection! It was a very cordial, and minimal intrusion.

[Edited on 10-9-2021 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2021 at 11:05 AM

I have found the police to be far more corrupt than the military.

Having seen how little has been accomplished with Humphreysville's murder case it's hard to expect much from a complaint about a theft of $1500.

As Blanca states, the best course of action is to prevent theft rather than recover it. Stand next to the door and watch closely where the hands go. Such scrutiny will almost certainly stop a thief from trying anything. Don't go to the back of the car if asked to and don't engage in conversation during the search. I have never seen a search done by more than a single person at a time.
Mindful

[*] posted on 10-9-2021 at 05:44 PM

I came thru there a week ago. No problems. short conversation with my limited espanol.
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 10-9-2021 at 07:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
Having seen how little has been accomplished with Humphreysville's murder case it's hard to expect much from a complaint about a theft of $1500.

Apples and oranges.

And in my mind the retén problem is not about the $1,500-- that's just a symptom.

It's that military personnel, who have way more training than most cops, discipline, and a code of ethics supposedly governing their behavior, are violating their own code of honor with this behavior: They are harming the very civilians whom they're supposed to be defending, and in that besmirching the reputation of the institution. Enlisted pawns and low-level officers might not care about that and actually be in on it together, but lifelong career officers like the generals in charge of the Zonas Militares may actually care about things like honor pride, and esprit de corps, casting a dim eye on those who tarnish that honor.

Would be fun to talk with one of those high-ranking officers to see where their head's really at. :light:

its the lure of easy money...its got a very strong appeal

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2021 at 08:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
Stand next to the door and watch closely where the hands go.

I have never seen a search done by more than a single person at a time.

After a number of thefts at ckpts, now before crossing, I remove everything from center console and glove compartment. There is nothing of value to take, and nothing removable anyway. At least up front.

I have a Yakima Rocket Box on top. I've never been asked to open it at ckpts. They'd need a ladder to access it anyway. After years of having my backpack searched, I put it on top and so far, so good.

BTW, these guys are looking for CBD. Medicine bottles are suspect. If they find some, it'll be a fine. They'll start high, you start low. After arriving at a price, before leaving, take your CBD back.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2021 at 08:30 PM

It's that military personnel, who have way more training than most cops, discipline, and a code of ethics supposedly governing their behavior, are violating their own code of honor with this behavior: :

Me and a friend gave 3 guys from SI ckpt a ride to their base S. of Santa Rosalia. Got a tour of the base. Met everyone.

As well trained, disciplined, ethical as Afgan military.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-10-2021 at 01:11 AM

The following post was in response to a JZ post attacking Lencho....which has since been deleted (for those who are wondering what I am talking about). I don't know if JZ or Doug deleted JZ's post:

"Joey, you are judging nomads all the time here...the above post is evidence of that. What a hypocrite. :rolleyes:

Very few respect your self-centered opinions and actions.... as in another thread you boast about ignoring shoreline restrictions near Loreto... no one supported your braggadocio then either.

Capiche ?

Lencho wasn't judging.... he was asking for clarity about a comment. Maybe you could explain your own weird behaviour...

[Edited on 10-10-2021 by motoged]"

[Edited on 10-10-2021 by motoged]

[Edited on 10-10-2021 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 10-10-2021 at 11:06 AM

The Mexican Army's 16th Infantry Company ("16/a C.I.N.E.") mans the checkpoint just north of San Ignacio. The 16th Infantry Company's Military Camp (40-c) is at the San Lucas Military Airstrip (dirt), along the Sea of Cortez 5km south of Santa Rosalia. Here's a Google Maps link:
https://goo.gl/maps/XhHMfTsDC7MnKbaD8

This Infantry Company is associated with Military Zone 40 out of Guerrero Negro, BCS.

245089836_10165770130945054_8698975997592704199_n.jpg - 261kB 245067279_6890102374348820_4805648122373284954_n_B.jpg - 282kB

[Edited on 10-10-2021 by BajaNomad]

FireShot Capture 2171.jpg - 205kBFireShot Capture 2172.png - 8kB

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2021 at 11:10 AM

Thanks bajanomad for the info. I've bookmarked this thread in case I need to make a report, which I'll do if harassed.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
RFClark
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 10-10-2021 at 02:06 PM

I not going to say anyone else is wrong. I’ll just say that we dive south to Los Cabos often. During these trips we have had generally good experiences at all of the checkpoints. We’ve seen other cars and trucks searched with various degrees of zeal. (None to extreme) We have been searched from not at all to so-so! That said they do seem to profile who they search and to what degree. They don’t seem to look in the places professionals hide stuff! It’s difficult to define exactly what their mission is!

All of the military personal have been professional and polite to us. While the police have occasionally asked for money, the military never has!

We could be the exception, but I doubt it!
geoffff
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2021 at 09:13 AM

This looks like the complete document BajaNomad quoted from above:

ZONAS_MILITARES.pdf (2017)

Z.M.: TELÉFONO COMERCIAL, CALLE, COLONIA, MUNICIPIO O DELEGACIÓN, ESTADO
1/a: 5552723178 Av. Observatorio, Tacubaya, Miguel Hidalgo, Ciudad de México
2/a: NO CUENTA Av. Ramos Millán, Morelos, Tijuana, Baja California
3/a: 6121220464 Calle 5 de Mayo y Chiapas, Vicente Guerrero, La Paz, Baja California Sur
4/a: 6622851032 Ángel García Aburto Final, Lomalinda, Hermosillo, Sonora
5/a: 6144186090 J.J. Morón y Marcelo Caraveo., Cuarteles, Chihuahua, Chihuahua
6/a: 8777730240 Contador Público Jorge Luis Flores Enríquez., Aeropuerto, Cd. Acuña, Coahuila
7/a: 16470040 Carretera Nuevo Laredo entronque a Salinas Victoria km. 1.5, Campo Militar Núm. 7-A, Apodaca, Nuevo León
8/a: NO CUENTA Carretera Reynosa- Matamoros, km. 85, Almaguer, Cd. Reynosa,, Tamaulipas
9/a: NO CUENTA Colegio Militar, Miguel Hidalgo, Culiacán, Sinaloa
10/a: 6188134290 Hidalgo, Centro., Durango., Durango.
11/a: 9232960 Secretaría de la Defensa Nacional, Ejidal, Guadalupe, Zacatecas
12/a: NO CUENTA Calzada de Guadalupe, Barrio San Sebastián, San Luis Potosí, San Luis Potosí
13/a: 13112131208 Calzada del Ejercito, Morelos, Tepic, Nayarit
14/a: NO CUENTA Aguascalientes, Las Cumbres, Aguascalientes, Aguascalientes
15/a: 13338321037 Aviación, La Estrada, Zapopan, Jalisco
16/a: 4111643060 Del Cuartel, El Retiro, Sarabia, Guanajuato
17/a: 14422163539 Hacienda San Juan, San Antonio de la Punta, Querétaro, Querétaro
18/a: NO CUENTA El Álamo, Tezontle, Pachuca, Hidalgo
19/a: 17838342042 Cerro del Atalaya, Centro, Tuxpan, Veracruz
20/a: 312 313 42 30 Pedro A. Galván, Centro, Colima, Colima
21/a: NO CUENTA Olivares de Tzintzuntzan, Vasco de Quiroga, Morelia, Michoacán
22/a: 7242694006 Carretera Tejupilco - Amatepec, km. 14.5, San Miguel Ixtapan, México, México
23/a: 2464660347 Autopista Tlaxcala-San Martín, km 4.5, Santa Elena, Panotla, Tlaxcala
24/a: NO CUENTA Emiliano Zapata, Buenavista, Cuernavaca, Morelos
25/a: 2222356092 (EXT. 1028) 5 de Mayo, Ignacio Zaragoza, Puebla, Puebla
26/a: 2288128605 Carretera Federal Xalapa-Veracruz km. 7.5., El Lencero, Emiliano Zapata, Veracruz
27/a: 17424232087 Domicilio Conocido, El Ticui, Atoyac de Álvarez, Guerrero
28/a: 9515130013 Carretera Internacional Cristóbal Colon 190, Santa María Ixcotel, Santa Lucía del Camino, Oaxaca
29/a: 9222238591 Lázaro Cárdenas, Cuauhtémoc, Minatitlán, Veracruz
30/a: 9933159188 Paseo Usumacinta, Atasta, Centro, Tabasco
31/a: NO CUENTA Carretera Comitán- Ocosingo km. 95.2, Rancho Nuevo, San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas
32/a: NO CUENTA 41, Militar, Valladolid, Yucatán
33/a: NO CUENTA Juan Escutia, Buenavista, Campeche, Campeche
34/a: 9838322125 Andrés Quintana Roo, Centro, Othón P. Blanco, Quintana Roo
35/a: 17474712002 Calzada Ejército Mexicano, Progreso, Chilpancingo, Guerrero
36/a: 9626263504 Central Oriente, Centro, Tapachula, Chiapas
37/a: 55576070 Carretera Federal México-Pachuca km. 42.5, Santa Lucia, Santa Lucia, México
38/a: 9343420791 Carretera Tenosique-La Palma km. 3.5, Guadalupe Victoria, Tenosique, Tabasco
39/a: 9191016083 Predio Toniná km.5, SIN, Ocosingo, Chiapas
40/a: 6151601183 Ejido San Lucas, Ejido San Lucas, Mulege, Baja California Sur
41/a: 29000703 Carretera a Tepic. Km. 9.5., Gpe. Victoria, Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco
42/a: 6275253111 Niños Héroes, Almanceña, Hgo. del Parral, Chihuahua
43/a: NO CUENTA Tepalcatepec., Buenos Aires., Apatzingán, Michoacán
44/a: NO CUENTA Privada de Netzahualcóyotl, Barrio Chico, Miahuatlán, Oaxaca
45/a: NO CUENTA Esc. Médico Militar, Lomas de Nogales, Nogales, Sonora
46/a: 9717131447 Joaquín Amaro, Moderna, Cd. Ixtepec, Oaxaca

[Edited on 10-12-2021 by geoffff]

2004 Sportsmobile 4x4
http://octopup.org/baja
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2021 at 04:53 PM

We went by the checkpoint twice today and were waved thru both times. On our return trip headed north from San Ignacio, I asked to speak to the comandante.

They took down our names
license plate
and asked why I wanted to see him? I explained that there had been a lot of complaints of harassment and stolen money etc.

They asked to park ahead and soon the comandante came. Listened. Showed me the cameras as you leave the stop to which I responded: time to relook at all those tapes.

He did say that they were a new group - three days into the checkpoint watch.

As we were leaving, Les suggested that perhaps when the soldiers know they are about to leave, they get more aggressive? Just a thought but it makes sense to me.

This is the photo I took:

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2021 at 04:56 PM

For those who do not speak/read Spanish, it says that individuals are to open and close suitcases or personal belongings and that they strive for transparency.

Everyone needs to know to point to the sign (it is close to the little tienda selling water etc.).

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-12-2021 at 04:58 PM

The problems there go back years, even before my little problem there in 2015. Not the soldiers who are getting away with stuff but the head honcho at that point. It doesn't stop, or stop permanently.

Thanks for your efforts.

[Edited on 10-23-2021 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-12-2021 at 06:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
The problems there ego back years, even before my little problem there in 2015. Not the soldiers who are getting away with stuff but the head honcho at that point. It doesn't stop, or stop permanently.

Thanks for your efforts.

[Edited on 10-12-2021 by David K]

I suspect that comandantes are rotated out periodically, like the grunts are rotated???

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 10-12-2021 at 06:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
I not going to say anyone else is wrong. I’ll just say that we dive south to Los Cabos often. During these trips we have had generally good experiences at all of the checkpoints. We’ve seen other cars and trucks searched with various degrees of zeal. (None to extreme) We have been searched from not at all to so-so! That said they do seem to profile who they search and to what degree. They don’t seem to look in the places professionals hide stuff! It’s difficult to define exactly what their mission is!

All of the military personal have been professional and polite to us. While the police have occasionally asked for money, the military never has!

We could be the exception, but I doubt it!

I have been treated the same way as you at military checkpoints. I have driven everything form an old beat up RV to decent ones and cars as well.

Maybe we are the lucky ones, who knows? My arse puckers up a lot more when seeing a local policeman (other than in Loreto) more than at a military stop.

I am driving south next week and will report back.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2021 at 07:25 PM

never an issue with checkpoints but i've sure grown tired of em:( at Papa's every trip to the ranch meant two stops, no matter that you brought em a big ol' jug of coca cola. now on the other side everyday was a northbound stop at Popotla with a looong line, if a chica in the car you could bet they were singled out. with AMLO deciding military could be put to better use the checkpoint was abandoned but now back in operation they're open 2-3 times a week. no idea who makes that call?
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.