Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: tips for a backpacker
fallenonearth

[*] posted on 10-11-2021 at 02:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

You won't get response by email here unless you post an email address...but the U2U part of this forum allows semi-private communications.

Hola! sorry, my bad, what I meant is that I was waiting for receiving an automatic email if someone was replyint to my post. It did not happen because I did not mark the box.

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
There have been quite a few "first time posters" over the years that come to this forum, ask some questions, then never even acknowledge the many people that contributed helpful information.

I guess it happens ALSO because many people like me did not know this forum was so active, they did not receive any e mail on reply, so did not check the topic anymore.
Maybe it was better it the notifications were automatic in default, and we had to unclick them if not wanted. Just MY tip :)))
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-11-2021 at 07:52 AM

There is an option you click at the top of the page or save as a favorite on your machine, called 'Today's Posts'... Going there, you will see any new activity on all the Baja Nomad Baja forums. It can be set to look back more than just one day. Most regulars here pop in daily to see what's new. We get our 'dose of Baja' that way! Saves you from needing to click on the many forums here to see what's new.

HERE: http://forums.bajanomad.com/today.php

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2021 at 09:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fallenonearth  
Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Renting a van with mattress, really? I suggest you do your research on backpacking and car-camping forums. You will need a lot of items, not just something to sleep on.

If (IF!) you are serious, I would suggest renting a car - any car - and staying in low-end hotels between Mulege and Cabo. This is the only thing you can do with minimal or no planning.

[Edited on 10-11-2021 by Alm]

hey there, you kind of BC God.

why should't I be serious? just tell me.

Ok, I will check other forums. But I will also just try to remember my trip when I went to New Zealand and bought a van :) yep, I also bought a lot of items, true. Just this time I do not need to save money and Mexican food is calling me more, so I feel like I could most of the times go to a rest, or street food, or bring something with me. I guess it is not that hard

I feel a bit treated like an idiot in this forum. Maybe I am, could be, but I am an idiot whom has been in more than 40 countries, probably some where you can't even point in a map. I have already been in Mexico, from Queretaro to Cancun (I hitchhiked the whole second part of my trip) but if do some many questions and maybe I sound a bit naive it is because BCS seems to be a little different than the Mexico I know.

this trip I am not almost thinking about money, I just want to understand the best way to be able to reach any possible nice place.

Yep, maybe a van is not needed ( I exptected it was usual to do BC by van, but looks it is not), a car with a tend could be enough. I still think a van is more confortable ( I find a person who has maybe one to rent) but I open to everything, just trying to understand.

another guy said that probably I have a youtube channel. I have been in the 7 seven modern wonders and I bet most of your friends take more photos in one day than me in any of those places :) I like to be arrogant too!

thanks to all those people whom just want to help, instead to try to look cool/haughty

still open to know about nices places where ignorant tourists don´t go as there is not fresh beer.

All the best!

I think you got BN pretty much figured out! :lol:
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2021 at 10:21 AM

The question about where you were going to enter Baja CA, was to be able to provide the very information you seek. E.g., if you were to land in San Jose del Cabo, we would tell you to go to Todos Santos, Pescadero, Balandra beach, snorkeling Isla Espiritu Santos islas, whale shark excursion, La Ventana hot springs beach, Cabo Pulmo, the campo 5 mi. south of Cabo Pulmo, Santiago, Agua Caliente hotsprings, Sol de Mayo waterfall hike and cabins, San Bartolo springs, Spa Buena Vista yurts, the day pass at Rancho Buena Vista, etc. If you were to fly into Tijuana, the advice would be different.

"still open to know about nices places where ignorant tourists don´t go"
What might appeal to me as a "nice" place might not appeal to you. Some of the nicest places are where we ignorant tourists go, e.g., the only place in the world where grey whale migrate to and give birth, etc. where they allow a human being to touch them. You seem to seek THE PLACE for your ethereal experience without defining what that might be. I spent a memorable day at Balandra beach along with the hundreds of other people and ignorant tourists on the beach that day - the warm water, sweetest mango on a stick, the beauty of the bay to behold - was not negated because everyone wants to be there.
Visiting with the wine maker in San Jose Comondu, hiking to the pictographs, buying tortillas from the lady in the yellow house, studying the church ruins, seeing the one police truck double duty as a school bus picking up kids - all memorable experiences to appreciate this authentically genuine Baja CA village, plus the road to/from which includes a large section of the El Camino Real.
There are almost 2,000 miles of beaches along the coasts of Baja CA peninsula - finding one is not difficult. A multi-day mule trip to see the Great Murals is an experience like no other.
Your travel experience is unique to you.

Yes, rent a car.
You can easily pack an inflatable mattress, sleeping bag and tent for those days when you're in a locale that does not offer a hotel. There are AirBnBs as well.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-11-2021 at 10:25 AM

willardguy, put your teeth in, get a haircut, and shave before you take another selfie! :lol:

fallenonearth - fly into La Paz, make some contacts. You can probably find a used van there. Driving a van around baja would be fun. I'd stay between Todos Santos to the south and San Ignacio to the north. Bahia Concepcion is my favorite spot.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2021 at 06:25 PM

why should't I be serious?

You shouldn't, if you don't want to. It's your choice. What I (and others) saw, was a lack of planning and minimal knowledge of backpacking or car camping. (What camper/hiker, for example, haven't heard about self-inflatable mattress these days?). Just my observations. Or maybe a blue foam mat works for you, like it did for many, until it didn't anymore. Who knows...

this time I do not need to save money

The more reason to buy a lot of stuff (that you can throw away later), to feel comfortable in a van or a car+tent or whatever you choose. Cold nights (in some places), hot days, can get windy, cr-appy tap water or no water, no lights or power at some sites, no cell phone coverage in some others.

I just want to understand the best way to be able to reach any possible nice place.

4WD. Not many vans will have this option.

maybe a van is not needed ( I exptected it was usual to do BC by van, but looks it is not), a car with a tend could be enough. I still think a van is more confortable

More roomy, yes. If you mean what you are saying, and only need it to sleep in, not even for making a coffee, and will go to roadside stands and eateries for everything, then it doesn't have to be a van. Many cars have enough room to sleep in. Chevy Suburban comes to mind, the rear "sofa" can be turned sideways, making a sleeping space. Honda CRV, Toyota RAV4, Toyota Matrix. Not every car rental will have them. But every one of them will have a 2WD compact car, and with a tent and Thermarest (that you need to bring with you) you will have an outdoor sleeping option.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2021 at 06:35 AM

The thing with sleeping in your rental car is that you have to take everything out or shift it around to the front seats, then put every back. If you're going to spend more than a couple of weeks traveling Baja, then you'll need some food - maybe a cooler for beer, ice, a couple gallons of water. Saying that your rental vehicle will fill up with stuff that will allow you stay overnight in the rural areas, not always have to seek out a restaurant. But if I'm understanding your intention to just dive, snorkle, etc. at the beach, then maybe you'll always be around a hotel. Another thing that is helpful to Baja travelers who want to go offroad, is a folding shovel.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.