Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: looking for a new camp spot on the pacific coast
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-13-2022 at 07:10 PM

Quote; "Where is this place? (so I can avoid the prospect of awkward conversations between gringos about Mexican property law). :rolleyes:"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

You weren't anywhere near it. It is pretty much due west of La Paz, between Punta Conejo and Punta Marquez.

If you get down that far south, there are plenty of other cool spots to check out without getting into a private development.

[Edited on 7-14-2022 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2022 at 07:47 PM

"Listening more carefully, at around 19:30 they say they are on a beach northwest of Punta Colonet. They also mentioned the road to the beach was on the 2020 Baja 1000 route. Thoughts?"

The closest beach access to the north of Punta Colonet (Cabo Colonet) is San Antonio Del Mar. It is a few miles west of Colonet. Lovely beaches there, extending northward a couple miles. There is 4WD access southward, along the beach below the cliffs of Cabo Colonet. No idea about the current status, as I haven't been back since the 1980s.
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2022 at 12:23 AM

WideAngle,
I did a little sleuthing on Google Earth. Can't resist a good puzzle, lol. Unable to match up the topography exactly. But I still suspect that their camp was at, or near, the beaches at the northern end of San Antonio del Mar.

In the video, it seems that the low sand dunes of San Antonio del Mar are visible in the distance, to the south, with Cabo Colonet (aka: Punta Colonet), the geographical feature, behind.

Then, a look at the 2020 Baja Mil course map showed the route passing near at approx. mile 110.
https://score-international.com/raceinfo/course-map-2020-baj...

There are numerous similar beaches to the one in the video as you can see by a close look on Google Earth. So, don't get too hung up about duplicating their experience. You will find many, equally nice, camping areas. Here are some coordinates which may approximate what I saw in the video:
31° 7'28.94"N 116°18'30.14"W
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

rolleyes.gif posted on 7-15-2022 at 07:09 AM
Where is this place? (so I can avoid the prospect of awkward conversations between gringos about Mexican property law).

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by thebeckster  
Stay away from La Aguja. They are are not user friendly:o:(

Good advice for the uninvited!

Playas Pacificas (at La Aguja) is a housing development, owned by a Baja Nomad husband and wife. They are very friendly to invited guests and have a guest house near the big sand beach where they have hosted Mike Younghusband during his walk to Cabo with 'Don Kay' the burro (2011). I was also a guest there for two nights during my Baja Bound mapping trips of 2017.

Uninvited guests onto their property are obviously not welcome. It is a private home area and they are watching out for the home owners, who may not be there. www.playaspacificas.com

On the left side of the peninsula:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

repentsinner

[*] posted on 7-17-2022 at 09:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
Camp Rene; stretch between LaBocana and Bahia Asuncion; Laguna Manuela; Punta Baja and a few miles south of there.

Wilderone - how is the bay between Punta Baja and Punta San Antonio? When you say "a few miles south of there" how far into that bay are you recommending?

Thanks!
EllieEstrellado

[*] posted on 7-17-2022 at 09:43 AM
la chorera to punta colonet

Quote: Originally posted by WideAngleWandering  

I have been sidetracked to meet a friend over in BOLA (who didn't show? WTH) so I am bookmarking these ideas for my planned July trip.

What happened to your amigo and did you narrow down your July beach camping destinations? Asking for a friend. ; )
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2022 at 10:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by repentsinner  
Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
Camp Rene; stretch between LaBocana and Bahia Asuncion; Laguna Manuela; Punta Baja and a few miles south of there.

Wilderone - how is the bay between Punta Baja and Punta San Antonio? When you say "a few miles south of there" how far into that bay are you recommending?

Thanks!

I traveled that road twice... took photos if you want to check them out...

2005: https://vivabaja.com/p1205/

2014: https://vivabaja.com/trail-of-missions-1-helicopter-over-baj... (on page 2)

Map:

Yes, you can get from Punta San Antonio to Punta San Carlos.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2022 at 11:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by thebeckster  
Stay away from La Aguja. They are are not user friendly:o:(

Good advice for the uninvited!

Playas Pacificas (at La Aguja) is a housing development, owned by a Baja Nomad husband and wife. They are very friendly to invited guests and have a guest house near the big sand beach where they have hosted Mike Younghusband during his walk to Cabo with 'Don Kay' the burro (2011). I was also a guest there for two nights during my Baja Bound mapping trips of 2017.

Uninvited guests onto their property are obviously not welcome. It is a private home area and they are watching out for the home owners, who may not be there. www.playaspacificas.com

On the left side of the peninsula:

Thanks for the mapping, it appears and I can confirm the area just south of the point you marked as La Aguja has a huge amount of non-gated public beaches to enjoy, camp and surf at (Punta Marquez).

The Beckster: Gated, private roads into residential areas are best avoided unless you check first with the owners, I'd think. Or is there some law in Mexico that guarantees access to others' private residences? What kind of "use" were you referring to?

[Edited on 7-17-2022 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2022 at 11:52 AM

Rob took me to Punta Marquez and showed me the area... That was in 2017, so things change.

Photos on this page of my 2017 Trip page: https://vivabaja.com/p817/4/

[Edited on 7-17-2022 by David K]

surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2022 at 11:54 AM

As always, thanks to DK for the maps.

That stretch between Punta Baja and San Antonio and San Carlos appears to remain an inaccessible 'lost coast' area. Must be one of the few left.

There must be some gems there for the discovering. What would it take to get in and out of that bit of coastline?

Boats? haha Are there no fishing camps along that hidden coast?

As for the Punta Marques south to Todos, I recall a surf spot X that could only be accessed by dune buggies or some other very capable sand vehicles. I drove north of Todos one time as far as I could and ended up using the highway and washboard to Marques and exploring as far south as I could at the time. I had a Ford 4wd at the time, but knew it had its limit.

I did spend a very cool night camped under some trees close to Marques where I could hang my hammock and chill for almost a day. It was a special place that gave me more than I expected. I did leave that spot cleaner than I found it, as pack your trash was a primary consideration.

Even though it was out of ear shot of the ocean, it had a magic of its own that I soaked in while had the chance. I still have a couple of photos somewhere of my overnight Baja discovery away from the ocean that will always be a 'find' to me.

This is Nomad at its finest when it chooses to be what brought us all here to begin with. Peace and love to Nomads of every stripe as we sure have them of every stripe.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2022 at 12:30 PM

Good points all Surfhat: A little respect for other users or owners goes a long way to enjoying continuing access to all those great spots. Thought I'd add a bit of additional info on the area. There is now a motel with swimming pool built between Conquista Agraria and Punta Marquez. When I was there last an RV Park/Campground and small restaurant/pub were being added. Only about 1 km off the end of pavement and the road to that point was very wide and quite smooth. Another 4 km or so to the beaches and surfing at Punta Marquez. The road looping back inland from the north end of Punta Marquez had been upgraded since the most recent Baja 1000, but as usual is being roughed up by use since. I found using the Punta Marquez route, altho a bit longer, was much easier, more scenic and maybe just a bit faster than the more inland route through Ley Federal Reforma Dos shown on the map David provided.

[Edited on 7-17-2022 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-17-2022 at 12:53 PM
A tip for anyone exploring that area

After you leave the pavement, it can be confusing sorting out which is the "main road". Following the most used roads dead ended at a couple of ranches for me.

Traffic to and from the ranches and hwy 1 was greater than the traffic trying to pass through going north or south, so sometimes the lesser used road is the one you want.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2022 at 01:00 PM

Thanks Canuck. Having an alternate route to the paved highway north from Todos or south from Marquez would be preferable for what was once mostly untouched by developers.

I have a couple of friends who moved from Pescadero and built homes in the Marquez area to get away from the peaceful lives they had had for decades around Pescadero. I hope they found what they were looking for and wish them the best.

We had our moments camping at Punta Pescadero before and after the campground came in.

Treasure those moments. We all have them.

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2022 at 01:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
After you leave the pavement, it can be confusing sorting out which is the "main road". Following the most used roads dead ended at a couple of ranches for me.

Traffic to and from the ranches and hwy 1 was greater than the traffic trying to pass through going north or south, so sometimes the lesser used road is the one you want.

For good or bad, traffic to Punta Marquez is increasing, so as long as you follow the new signage to the Playa at the end of the pavement and turn left through Conquista the road to the surfing is the main one. I was surprised how many people even from up here on Vancouver Island knew of and had camped out on Punta Marquez. I suspect it's about to see a surge in use now that the campground and motel are being developed.

boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 7-18-2022 at 06:59 AM

Good camping on the bluff at Punta Colonet’s Cueva del Pirata but you most likely won’t be alone.

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
repentsinner

[*] posted on 7-18-2022 at 11:18 AM

I traveled that road twice... took photos if you want to check them out...

Yes, you can get from Punta San Antonio to Punta San Carlos.

Thanks, very helpful!

r.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2022 at 03:27 PM

My pleasure. Feel free to ask any location questions!

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2022 at 06:11 AM

Re: "That stretch between Punta Baja and San Antonio and San Carlos appears to remain an inaccessible 'lost coast' area. Must be one of the few left."
Sorry for late reply - I was in the Caribbean - woo hoo - wonderful!!
Anyway, the dirt road there is mostly very good - I think used by smugglers - I only went as far as Agua Blanca (was hiking). A few dicey dips where storm water flows past. You'd drive past cliffs that overlook the ocean - can't get to the beach. Got to a big arroyo that ends at the beach. Not sure if you can drive into it - we were hiking and no problem for us - and then we had to get back on the road out of the arroyo to continue to Agua Blanca. Beach access there - fish camp. Etc. Also, there are tons of indigenous artifacts everywhere, and I have learned of some dinosaur excavations in the cliffs around there (some kind of giant bird). Take your time, be prepared for some road building along the way ( though if you have something better than standard sedan shouldn't be much of a problem. Loved that stretch.
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 7-19-2022 at 11:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Maderita  
"Listening more carefully, at around 19:30 they say they are on a beach northwest of Punta Colonet. They also mentioned the road to the beach was on the 2020 Baja 1000 route. Thoughts?"

The closest beach access to the north of Punta Colonet (Cabo Colonet) is San Antonio Del Mar. It is a few miles west of Colonet. Lovely beaches there, extending northward a couple miles. There is 4WD access southward, along the beach below the cliffs of Cabo Colonet. No idea about the current status, as I haven't been back since the 1980s.

harsh out there! been probably 15 years since i've been out to SADM, there's entire homes buried here....bring a shovel!

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 7-19-2022 at 11:16 AM

the Bajabound boys met up with a couple adventurers hoofing it down to san carlos, unfortunately it doesn't follow them to their destination but a nice film anyway:coolup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiO5J7yVpGk

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.