Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5  
Author: Subject: Starlink in Baja
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 5-4-2022 at 10:33 PM

All good things come to an end! Starlink just emailed everyone who’s unit is at a different location than their service address the “opportunity” to pay $25/mo to be able to move their unit around! It’s called portability!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-4-2022 at 11:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
All good things come to an end! Starlink just emailed everyone who’s unit is at a different location than their service address the “opportunity” to pay $25/mo to be able to move their unit around! It’s called portability!

:lol::lol::lol:

Suckers!

Remember way back in the 20th century when you used to be charged for roaming?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2022 at 03:47 AM

Goat,

Remember when wire phone companies charged for call forwarding because it was the only game in town?

This is the only game in town for most of the out of the way places in BC or BCS! We’re taking our unit south in a few days a user report will follow. Besides 150K Ukrainians are using this system in a war zone so what’s not to like?
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2022 at 06:30 AM

I got the email and my unit is at my house (same service address).

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2022 at 10:30 AM

So what is the total cost per month?

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
TSThornton
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2022 at 11:14 AM

$100/mo. while at home +$25/mo. while you have roaming turned on. The email indicates that you can turn it on and off on demand, but there is no partial month proration. From the new FAQ page on the Starlink site:

"When you enable Portability, you are charged on your next monthly invoice. Portability is charged in full monthly increments and cannot be pro-rated. The Portability feature and billing charges will be ongoing until you decide to disable it. Once you disable Portability, the recurring charge will stop after your next monthly invoice and Portability will only remain active for the remainder of the current billing cycle. For example, if you enable Portability on March 12th and your next billing date is on April 1st, you will be charged $25 on April 1st for the full previous month."
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2022 at 10:53 PM

Problem with satellite is when it goes down you are hooped. I am finding tethering to cell phones far cheaper for the same GB, faster, and more reliable. If they ever come out to service the Hughesnet transmitter before i head home again i will be surprised.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2022 at 05:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
Problem with satellite is when it goes down you are hooped. I am finding tethering to cell phones far cheaper for the same GB, faster, and more reliable. If they ever come out to service the Hughesnet transmitter before i head home again i will be surprised.

Starlink is not Hughesnet:light:

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2022 at 09:09 PM

JD,

That’s certainly true if your provider only has one or two satellites! It’s not true if they have thousands of satellites!
aburruss
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2022 at 07:23 PM

OK.. So I took my BCS-based Starlink system, brought it back to EEUU, paid the $25 extra per month, and have FAR better speeds than I did with the AT&T "uverse" monopoly I have at my house!!

My last home test (AT&T in san Diego) was 10 down and 3 up. Average is about 22 down, and 3 up.

My Starlink has been averaging between 150-180 down and 10 up, in an "in-continent", "waitlist" area in the states.

Never gotten anywhere close to that with tethering to my cell phone's hotspot.

And I'll be loading is up and taking it back down to BCS in a few months. So far, I'm happy!

[Edited on 5-11-2022 by aburruss]
aburruss
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2022 at 08:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by aburruss  
Never gotten anywhere close to that with tethering to my cell phone's hotspot.

I doubt cell phones are very efficient as routers-- they're designed to optimize battery life. It would be interesting to run that test on one of those dedicated cellular hotspots which are actually purposed for the application.

I was sending that in response to:

I am finding tethering to cell phones far cheaper for the same GB, faster, and more reliable. If they ever come out to service the Hughesnet transmitter before i head home again i will be surprised.

It's no contest. And it's no Hughesnet...
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2022 at 10:13 AM

Another gotcha to be aware for roaming besides the $25 monthly fee is that according to a knowledgeable friend there is a two month limitation for international. This sucks if you have the US equipment and want to spend the winter in Baja or if you have the Mexico equipment and want to spend the summers up North.

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2022 at 11:59 AM

“ International Travel: Starlink can only be used within the same continent as the registered Service Address. If you use Starlink in a foreign country for more than two months, you will be required to move your registered service address to your new location or purchase an additional Starlink to maintain service.”

It’s unclear if that’s cumulative either! That said we ported our US unit to Cerritos South and it works great. We’ll see!
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2022 at 03:30 PM

Finally got my Hughesnet back up and running. Declined the 135 dollar service call and traced the fault out to a bad cable connection from the original install. Seems about the same speeds as my cell phone was giving me. Will wait til Starlink gets going full bore here and look at options again. May be something even more reliable by then to consider.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2022 at 06:17 PM

One year ago:

"Elon Musk says Starlink will need up to $30 billion to survive. 'If we succeed in not going bankrupt, then that'll be great.'"

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-starlink-spacex-ba...

Starlink loses money on every customer that signs up and pays $600 for the equipment.

"Originally, the Starlink dishes cost $3,000 each for SpaceX to build, meaning the company was selling to users at a loss. However, Shotwell claimed in April that SpaceX was able to reduce that number to around $1,300."

https://www.theverge.com/2021/11/11/22776563/spacex-starlink...

And then there is the cost of all the satellites and the Falcon 9 boosters to get them in orbit.

I wonder if Starlink will ever be a profitable business. They are digging a deep hole now that gets deeper every day.

Starlink is an incredibly complicated system that's costing a fortune to build.

I'm skeptical.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2022 at 06:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
One year ago:

"Elon Musk says Starlink will need up to $30 billion to survive. 'If we succeed in not going bankrupt, then that'll be great.'"

Starlink loses money on every customer that signs up and pays $600 for the equipment.

"Originally, the Starlink dishes cost $3,000 each for SpaceX to build, meaning the company was selling to users at a loss. However, Shotwell claimed in April that SpaceX was able to reduce that number to around $1,300."

And then there is the cost of all the satellites and the Falcon 9 boosters to get them in orbit.

I wonder if Starlink will ever be a profitable business. They are digging a deep hole now that gets deeper every day.

I'm skeptical.

Of course we all felt the same about the Tesla cars and he pulled that one off nicely, despite some fallbacks.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2022 at 07:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
One year ago:

I'm skeptical.

Of course we all felt the same about the Tesla cars and he pulled that one off nicely, despite some fallbacks.

Internet service by coax or fiber will always be cheaper for 99% of first world, where neighborhoods are built with utilities. Sat internet will only be attractive to rural people in first world and mid- to upper class in developing world. Poor people of the developing world will always struggle to justify cost of sat internet.
Will starlink survive? It’s a risky stock bet at this point…

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2022 at 08:04 PM

SFandH and Goat,

Those with an understanding of the history of technology will remember that the US government subsidized the development of aviation and airlines between WW1 and WW2. As a result we had planes and pilots when we needed them.

The Chinese see Musk and Space X as serious challenge to their plans in space. The Russians are feeling the effects of the Ukraine using StarLink to defend their country as we speak. Perhaps we should listen to those who could be adversaries in the future and make sure he’s successful to make sure that technology is available to us in a time of need!

[Edited on 5-12-2022 by RFClark]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2022 at 08:19 PM

SFandH and Goat,

Those with an understanding of the history of technology will remember that the US government subsidized the development of aviation and airlines between WW1 and WW2. As a result we had planes and pilots when we needed them.

The Chinese see Musk and Space X as serious challenge to their plans in space. The Russians are feeling the effects of the Ukraine using StarLink to defend their country as we speak. Perhaps we should listen to those who could be adversaries in the future and make sure he’s successful to make sure that technology is available to us in a time of need!

[Edited on 5-12-2022 by RFClark]

So we’re supposed to root for starlink for military use?
flock no!

Woke!

RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2022 at 08:27 PM

Goat,

Your quote about the freedom of man might depend on us having the StarLink technology to defend it and us! So yes root for and support!
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.