Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-5-2022 at 04:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGringo  
Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

For $25 delivered you can't go wrong.

Agreed. And being a direct connection, it will be faster. :light:

As long as you don't mind looking up at well over fifteen thousand low orbiting satellites in what were once clear skies over Baja.

https://talkbaja.com/battle-of-the-titans-over-global-satell...

Just what we need, more light pollution!

Wait until they start building satellite bill boards to advertise more chit!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2022 at 06:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

For $25 delivered you can't go wrong.

Agreed. And being a direct connection, it will be faster. :light:

As long as you don't mind looking up at well over fifteen thousand low orbiting satellites in what were once clear skies over Baja.

I'm guessing you have fast internet:light:

HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2022 at 08:18 AM

My friends who have a RV Starlink group say that with roaming enabled last month some users with a US dish report it working in Baja. Here's their FAQ -

Starlink for RVers and Other Mobile Users FAQ’s
Below is a list of Frequently Asked Questions we feel should help alleviate the repetitive posts that come up often.
Is Starlink mobile?!
“I didn’t think Starlink was mobile yet?” Though not officially supported, many users have used workarounds to use it while moving around the country since early last year. “Roaming” has started to become enabled on many accounts making it even easier to use away from your “service address”
What is this Roaming you Speak of?
From what we as users have deduced, firmware starting around 2/18 have enabled roaming with Dishy. This has enabled moving freely around Starlink coverage areas and not having to “move” your service address around. Users also have now successfully been moving across international borders. None of this has been publicly launched or supported by SpaceX and as such is subject to change at any time. Dishys shipping currently have been confirmed by many users to be current enough firmware to be able to roam directly out of the box. If you are more than 15 miles from your service address, and have firmware release from 2/18 or later then you should have roaming enabled within an hour of powering on. A list of recent firmware is available here: https://starlinkversions.com/ . You can check what firmware that you are running via the app and clicking support, swiping for more, then advanced. What is listed on this screen as a Starlink version number is your current firmware. If you have older firmware, you will need to either move the dish for a night or two into its home cell and it will eventually update during early morning hours of non-use, or move your home cell to where you currently are if possible.
Is there different hardware for mobile use?
No. There are 3 different versions of Dishy out there. Gen 1 and 2 were round and the current one if you order today is a rectangle shape. They are all standard ones meant for residential use. They will likely have some sort of mobile hardware in the future, but nobody has any idea of when or what it will look like, or what it will cost.
How do so many of you have Starlink?
I signed up for Dishy many months ago and haven’t got my order!? Coverage is divided by SpaceX into cells, and these cells are arbitrarily turned “on” for orders via a selection process that only Space X can explain. If you are “mobile”, meaning someone that moves around the country, then you can place an order today with a Service address of an open cell, and the shipping address of where you can receive Dishy. You will only be able to use Dishy where there are open cells nearby, and as soon as you move to a different cell there are no assurances that the prior cell will still have a spot if you decide to return. Our group's founder Evin Carr was one of the first pioneers of this shipping method. If you take advantage of it, grab him a Beer!
How do I change my service address?
Log into your account via the web and in the “your location” area select the change location details button.
UPDATE SINCE ROAMING: This has become less of an issue, if at all, since roaming has started to become enabled on more and more accounts. You may find once you get your Dishy set up and leave it running for a day or two to get firmware updates, that you may not have to go through all the address finding/changing crap anymore!
I paid for Starlink, when will I get Dishy?
If you paid $99, then you have placed a deposit for hardware to be shipped at some point in the future. Only SpaceX can tell you when that may be. Their estimates are just that, estimates. Those estimates may change as things progress, again, only they know why. If you paid $500+, then your hardware will be arriving at the SHIPPING address on the account. Current shipping times have been averaging two weeks or less from order date.
I have Starlink from Country X, and I move it to Country Y?
Unfortunately not yet, SpaceX does not have the appropriate approvals in order. Even though the hardware is ready for any country, we can only currently use it in the originating country till the appropriate red tape gets slashed by SpaceX.
UPDATE SINCE ROAMING: Although the reports have been sparse, there are a number of users that have reported success using their U.S. Dishy in Mexico. Time will tell whether this will continue to work without barriers…
Can I Sell/Buy Dishy?
Yes, SpaceX has allowed for the transfer of hardware from one person to another via their support ticket system. Two of the admins have done this successfully and many users now have reported to as well.
I am getting slow speeds compared to everyone else, what gives?
To start, make sure that Dishy has an obstruction free view of the sky. If you are using the Starlink provided router, go into settings via the web or app and split the 2.4G and 5G networks. Run the tests again from the 5G network.
Can I extend the cable length of Dishy?
Gen1/2 ROUND DISHY: Although technically not officially supported, many have had success with extensions of over 100 feet with a waterproof ethernet splice and a high quality large AWG shielded ethernet extension.
RECTANGLE DISHY: The current Dishy has a user replaceable cable that ships with a 75ft cord and can be replaced with a 150 foot cord from the Starlink store. If you would like to have an ethernet port, a separate adapter is also available in the Starlink store. As the cable uses proprietary connectors. Extending beyond 150feet given the proprietary connector would get messy.

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 4-6-2022 at 10:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

No, my internet is at best only average speed compared to the fiber optic connected folks in town. If you had bothered to read the article I wrote, you would have also read where I expressed my mixed emotions over the coming market of cheaper, high speed service available to everybody down here. Yes, I will benefit too from that in terms of connection speed but realize that it will come at a cost.

Our night-time skies here along the coast 15 miles west of San Quintin are spectacular on clear nights and we often just sit outside, admiring the show above.

I have this nagging feeling that before the last of these 15,000+ new satellites is even launched there will already be new technology getting ready to be launched that would reduce the need for that number of satellites drastically while providing the same or even better (and faster) coverage.

Then we get to watch all these 15,000+ new pieces of space junk get turned off, slowly lose orbit and fall out of the sky in a burning mass of obsolete technology.

And that's if they don't crash into each other first in the growing congestion of space orbit around the planet.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 4-6-2022 at 11:03 AM

just ordered mine.
Telmex has been jerking me around with fiber optics for a couple of years now
with the maximum line length from the box, I am not likely to see one for my house anytime soon

so, Starlink is the answer

the fact that I can take it with me to explore Baja tipped the scale
Google Earth and telephone at the end of the world
almost makes inReach obsolete - almost

Harald Pietschmann
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2022 at 12:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
just

the fact that I can take it with me to explore Baja tipped the scale
Google Earth and telephone at the end of the world
almost makes inReach obsolete - almost

Better yet, cut the tether and explore old school style without umbilical cord to instagram, facebook and tiktok :light:
Can you survive a few days without seeing snapshots of your friend’s pets and grandkids?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

phmilo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2022 at 12:37 PM

So if you use Starlink in Baja is your geographic area noted, or is it tied to your account?

If you use a US based (account in US) receiver, does it know you are SOB when roaming? And what does that do for content that is often locked by country?
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2022 at 12:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Better yet, cut the tether and explore old school style without umbilical cord to instagram, facebook and tiktok :light:
Can you survive a few days without seeing snapshots of your friend’s pets and grandkids?

what a kind person you are!

anyway - 90% of my time connected is not to share whatever
I am too old for "me, me, me!"
online for me is a learning tool - to find information

often when I am in the wild exploring the (almost) unvisited I am in need of the easiest way through the bushes
only high quality sat images can do that

how far can I possibly drive?
how long is the hike?
what is the elevation profile?

like below
what's the best path to reach Hacienda La Colpa?
Google Earth has the answer

of course I always study the routes for a long time at home before I leave
but often I need to check while on the road
sure you can cache Google Earth tiles
but an oops in power supply and you cache is gone

so, Starlink in the field would be divine

La Colpa.jpg - 281kB

Harald Pietschmann
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2022 at 04:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

No, my internet is at best only average speed compared to the fiber optic connected folks in town. If you had bothered to read the article I wrote, you would have also read where I expressed my mixed emotions over the coming market of cheaper, high speed service available to everybody down here. Yes, I will benefit too from that in terms of connection speed but realize that it will come at a cost.

Our night-time skies here along the coast 15 miles west of San Quintin are spectacular on clear nights and we often just sit outside, admiring the show above.

I have this nagging feeling that before the last of these 15,000+ new satellites is even launched there will already be new technology getting ready to be launched that would reduce the need for that number of satellites drastically while providing the same or even better (and faster) coverage.

Then we get to watch all these 15,000+ new pieces of space junk get turned off, slowly lose orbit and fall out of the sky in a burning mass of obsolete technology.

And that's if they don't crash into each other first in the growing congestion of space orbit around the planet.

A growing city with street lights will ruin your night time skies far sooner than satellites.

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2022 at 04:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by phmilo  
So if you use Starlink in Baja is your geographic area noted, or is it tied to your account?

If you use a US based (account in US) receiver, does it know you are SOB when roaming? And what does that do for content that is often locked by country?

Yes, you need to provide a service address. They are beta testing "roaming" though which allows one to use the dish anywhere.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2022 at 05:04 PM

Weird, I thought multimode fiber has pretty long runs at consumer speeds. Where is this "box"? You're on the SE edge of El Centenario, right?

Are other people in town getting fiber Internet?

hundreds of people in Centenario have fiber optics.
there is a connection box about every other block
each box takes a maximum of 8 lines
the lines should be no longer than 200m
only one box close to my house qualifies
but it is full
a new box is not planned

[Edited on 4-7-2022 by 4x4abc]

fibra optica B1.jpeg - 158kB

Harald Pietschmann
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2022 at 07:29 PM

know all the field techs on a first name basis
have an inside man at the head office
since there is no waiting list my inside man will cancel an existing account as soon as someone pays too late
but I have to "remind" him frequently to check my neighbor's accounts
Mexico is an unimaginable bog incompetence and open hands

Harald Pietschmann
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2022 at 09:10 PM

currently I have 2 copper lines
one with max 10 Mbps, and one with 6 Mbps max
but on weekends it drops to 2 Mbps
some nights it collapses completely

I got the 2nd line for my airbnb guest
they grow more and more demanding
many simply don't book when I tell them 10 Mbps

that is why I am after fiber optics or Starlink
so SF yoga gurus can do online classes at the pool

Harald Pietschmann
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2022 at 05:35 AM

currently I have 2 copper lines
one with max 10 Mbps, and one with 6 Mbps max
but on weekends it drops to 2 Mbps
some nights it collapses completely

I got the 2nd line for my airbnb guest
they grow more and more demanding
many simply don't book when I tell them 10 Mbps

that is why I am after fiber optics or Starlink
so SF yoga gurus can do online classes at the pool

That's interesting Harald: I had no noticeable issues with a slower speed when I stayed there in the guest house. Now I too am wondering why people need the higher speeds? Email and browsing sites seemed fine, even my streaming stock data came through fast enough for my needs. I'm going to assume I was on the 10Mbps line and now have a good idea what will meet my needs out west via satellite. Thanks for the info.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2022 at 05:51 AM

know all the field techs on a first name basis have an inside man at the head office

Ah, then it shouldn't take too long to resolve things. ;)

What's your connection right now?

Personally, I get along just fine with about 15 mb/s and can't figure why people need 3-digit bandwidth, but then I'm not in much of a rush for anything these days... :yes:

We average between 1 and 2 mb/s. My wife teaches online and surprisingly does okay with those speeds. But everyone else has to be offline (which isn't always a bad thing). Once we get faster speeds, I'll be able to teach as well should I decide to.

We would have more visitors as well if we had reliable internet, too. I'm looking forward to watching a 5 minute Youtube video in 5 minutes:lol:

As of now, looks like my equipment is being shipped via DHL and is supposed to be delivered by the end of the day on the 18th. We'll see...

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2022 at 07:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  

That's interesting Harald: I had no noticeable issues with a slower speed when I stayed there in the guest house. Now I too am wondering why people need the higher speeds? Email and browsing sites seemed fine, even my streaming stock data came through fast enough for my needs. I'm going to assume I was on the 10Mbps line and now have a good idea what will meet my needs out west via satellite. Thanks for the info.

during my search for Starlink answers I ran into a site where a techie compared "for the heck of it" Starlink to his old 1 Gbps (1000Mbps). He kew Starlink would be too slow for his work, but he just wanted to find out himself. He explained briefly his online work and pointed out why he needed 1 Gbps - most importantly lowest possible latency. He was super impressed with almost zero latency (the time it takes for a sent signal to be received) of the Starlink. But 200 Mbps was way too slow for him.

So, it looks like some of the remotes need indeed fast internet.
And if you can't provide it - you wont get their booking.

by the way, low latency is the reason why the Starlink satellites fly so low (350 miles). The signal covers that distance fast. The geo stationary satellite orbit (22,000 miles) would have created a very long latency.

Harald Pietschmann
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2022 at 05:51 AM

So, it looks like some of the remotes need indeed fast internet.
And if you can't provide it - you wont get their booking.

by the way, low latency is the reason why the Starlink satellites fly so low (350 miles). The signal covers that distance fast. The geo stationary satellite orbit (22,000 miles) would have created a very long latency.

Thanks again for the info on Starlink Harald. Will be checking with you in a few months to see how it works out. More options seem to be opening up all the time, but Starlink seems to be the up and coming satellite solution. Not sure how the reduced latency plays out in practical use. Voice apps maybe?

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2022 at 07:42 AM

Simulations of visual pollution of night sky:
https://www.deepskywatch.com/Articles/Starlink-sky-simulatio...

Woke!

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2022 at 03:13 AM

And it's about to get much worse. Lawler and two other Canadian astronomers published a paper in December in The Astronomical Journal which predicted that, in less than a decade, 1 out of every 15 points of light in the night sky will actually be a moving satellite.

"Think about that," Lawler said. "There's only about 4,000 stars that you can see with your naked eye and if 200 of those are moving, that is very different than the sky that we're used to now."

Visibility Predictions for Near-future Satellite Megaconstellations: Latitudes near 50° Will Experience the Worst Light Pollution
https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.3847/1538-3881/ac341b/...

Woke!

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2022 at 07:51 AM

Another data point:

Right now I'm using a standard satellite system in front of a friend's house, sitting in the shade on a Bahia Concepcion beach. It works fine. I just watched a video from a San Diego news source. The system was purchased in Mulege and installed by a local technician. Geostationary satellite latency is only about 1/2 of a second. I can live with that. IMHO, if you can get/use a geostationary satellite system, do it. One geostationary satellite does the work of thousands of Starlink LEO satellites and about 10 geostationary satellites can cover the whole world. Go with simplicity.

https://www.viasat.com/about/newsroom/blog/satellite-interne...

[Edited on 4-11-2022 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.