Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: La Paz Mini Storage??
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2022 at 07:31 AM
La Paz Mini Storage??

Has anyone stored a vehicle there recently? Rates (weekly/monthly) for covered spot?
Thanks for any replies.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2022 at 08:40 AM

I kept both a boat and a waverunner there for many years up until about a year ago when I sold them. Never had a lick of problems

In Memory of E-57
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2022 at 09:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alan  
I kept both a boat and a waverunner there for many years up until about a year ago when I sold them. Never had a lick of problems

Thanks for the reply. Do you remember the rates?
Cappy
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2022 at 11:47 AM

$5 a day
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2022 at 12:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cappy  
$5 a day

Thanks Cappy. Any idea of weekly/monthly rates?
Cappy
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2022 at 01:51 PM

Don’t think weekly deals. But I know monthly is different.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2022 at 05:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
Quote: Originally posted by Alan  

Thanks for the reply. Do you remember the rates?
Sorry but I don't. I usually paid a year in advance so I can't be sure but I think it was just a bit over $100/month total for both with discounts for multiple spaces and paying in adavnce discounts.

In Memory of E-57
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2022 at 08:23 PM

Thank you!
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2022 at 08:42 PM

I'll second the positive reviews.

I stored both RV and car over the years. No problems. The rate was about $115/month but that was 2-3 years ago. Paid in advance yearly forget the discount. Canadian owner and Fernando was go to guy. Vehicles/boats/trailers had covered parking.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2022 at 05:08 AM

Thanks Lee!
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2022 at 10:09 AM

It was only that one time when the entire storage park flooded since it is below sea level, all the cars were covered in water but they tried to save them. Not any different now but there hasn't been a similar hurricane and flood since then.

I tried to store items there during a move, the storage unit was over run by animals, snakes, cat, and rats in just a few weeks, everything was destroyed.

I came back to find they move the cars, the key ignition was broken off on on car and the other scratched.

Seems like lack of leadership.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-5-2022 at 12:55 PM

The highest of tides would never reach that storage unit, but a tropical storm surge, plus run off rain water at high tide could certainly cause a flood!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-5-2022 at 01:14 PM

The storage place is not below sea level. But it is located right in center of the river valley -- the area is a flood plain.
Bad location for a storage facility.
The storage faciity seems to charge a high rate, almost same as lower end of socal rates, so they may be able to afford to move to better location on high ground, someday (hopefully before the next large flood event!).

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2022 at 05:30 PM

Many threads exist on experiences at the mini storage, my experience over years was not good, many other reliable options exist close to wherever you are.

Here are baja nomad threads to review, make up your own mind.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=36061#pid3856...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=65784#pid7957...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=32907#pid3406...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=26667&pag...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=26552&pag...
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2022 at 10:17 PM

It seems low, the issues I experienced were related to poor management, dust, wind, animals, pricing, damages, the issue with water flooding damage may have been a one time issue but it did happen and cars were damaged.

It's unclear why my cars repeatedly had damage caused by the workers and no one was interested or able to give a jump, I had to find someone elsewhere all the way back in La Paz to come with car, battery, etc.

Mini storage places a magnetic number id on the car, over time, dust gathers, wind blows it around and the result is a permanent etched mark on your baja car to remind you of the experience.

It's not uncommon for there to be a low battery issue in the hot sun if you leave the car for 6 months so it would be helpful to have a jump or charger somewhere on site, charger with extension cord etc.

It goes with the territory, car storage and helping people get a quick jump and get going when they get there, but nope.

In the end, after the hassle, I choose a storage place that was more protected from wind, rain and dust and the elements and with customer service and ability to help me get going when I arrived. Losing a day to the car when you arrive running around in the hot sun for something so simple is nonsense. I was paying for two cars and a storage so more than $150/month with poor customer service.

A storage place should have someone there, able to give a charge or jump and be secure and protected. Many options exist.

Imagine you are paying approximately $2000US a year in storage and you expect to continue to do so for 10 years, thats 20k, and there will be many just like you in a space? 100 customers = 2,000,000 over 10 years.

Storage is a good business for someone willing to invest their time and energy into providing a secure storage with customer service, preferably someone with basic mechanical skills who will avoid doing harm while being able to assist with basic fluids and battery and possibly air for tires.

A storage partner should invest, grow and build a storage that has security, shade, and bodegas so that your stuff lasts and is safe, versus being destroyed over time while treating you rudely with poor customer service.

[Edited on 5-6-2022 by gnukid]
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2022 at 06:57 AM

Lencho, Have you ever been there? It is about 3-4 meters below the roadway in a flood zone. It's understandable that flooding damage or other issues are of little concern to some of you since it seems you apparently don't have a vehicle or boat there. Though, if you read the threads many people lost a great deal of their life belongings there over the years, as well as the other issues.

I tried and tired to encourage the owner and manager to relate to the issues, which are not impossible to resolve.

It seems the owner is older, absentee and the manager is not particularly interested in the details affecting customers, trapping pests, and providing a high quality experience.

I noticed the place has been for sale for a long time.

Over the years, finding a secure and convenient storage for my cars. boats and valuables improved my Baja experience tremendously.

I have a number of options now that are excellent. Losing your stuff, can be devastating. Theft is an issue as is wear and tear, rats, flooding etc. We have had quite a few hurricanes over the last 20 years that caused quite a bit of damage to stuff exposed, but if your stuff is secure, you can quickly bounce back, and help out others, if not it is devastating.

Now, I have found a number of storage facilities that do not advertise and only accept customers by recommendation of friends.

These storage locations are less expensive and much more secure, with excellent customer service.

It may not matter to everyone, but security and customer service does matter to me. I have the same cars now for my entire life in Baja, one is 57 years old and is still my daily driver, the others are equally important, I'd like to keep my stuff in working order.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-6-2022 at 08:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
It was only that one time when the entire storage park flooded since it is below sea level,
Do you know that to be factual?

My memory is that the flood came raging down out of the mountains along the arroyo from the south, knocked down the wall on that side of the property, and indeed did submerge a lot of valuable client belongings, but in a big river of muddy fresh water. As I recall the owner complained something about the highway/airport road had deviated the natural watercourse, but as you say it's still there exposed to the next major flood and I personally would keep that in mind if considering storing stuff there.

[Edited on 5-5-2022 by lencho]

Being a map nut, this had me wondering about what are places on the peninsula that are below sea level??? The only one that came to mind was Laguna Salada, west of Mexicali.

From Wiki: Laguna Salada (Spanish, "salty lagoon") is a vast dry lake some 10 meters below sea level...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

CaboRobbie

[*] posted on 3-8-2023 at 09:46 AM

Hi : I’m Looking for storage recommendations in La paz area for this spring/summer obviously NOT comfortable looking for storage places that don’t advertise and don’t accept customers unless recommended by “friends” that’s seems sketchy as hell to do.

Any members that have positive /negative experiences with legitimate storage businesses in La paz and area for jeep and small locker for 5-6 months any advice much appreciated
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Bumped
3-10-2023 at 12:23 PM

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.