Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: FMM gripe
Purdyd
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2022 at 02:05 PM

Thanks Karen,

And this is out of date.

Quote:
Due to the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, all travelers entering Mexico from another country are required to complete a health questionnaire, which can also be submitted online.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/destination/inte...

https://aviso.vuelaseguro.com/

E9C28AE0-C4DD-4420-94E3-5180F5052C76.jpeg - 116kB
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2022 at 03:28 PM

"Now, if you are able to get the airlines to "reimburse" you for the tourist tax because you hold an R/P, T/P or a MX passport, then go for it. But this is normally done after you travel and not while trying to purchase the ticket."

Well, Westjet requires passengers who are not subject to tourist tax to contact them BEFORE booking the ticket. You get them to do the booking for you and they deduct it from the ticket price.
And it is illegal for Mexico to charge tourism tax to non-tourists.
karenintx
Senior Nomad

Mood: Living The Dream

[*] posted on 6-1-2022 at 03:44 PM

Purdyd = That is correct on health questionnaire...use to have to fill this out upon arriving and departing. One month ago when we flew into SJD, upon landing all passengers were informed by a SJD airport employee they had to wear a mask while in the airport. We flew out of SJD last week and the airport still required wearing a face mask, once on the plane the mask was not required.

surabi = Every airline is different. Some require passengers to fill the form out when departing, some not. I personally do not know every airlines rules that is why I said normally. Every passenger should know what their airline rules are for reimbursement.
karenintx
Senior Nomad

Mood: Living The Dream

[*] posted on 6-1-2022 at 04:24 PM

Actually the law reads..."All Mexican citizens and residents are exempted from paying a Mexican Tourist Tax."

The Mexican Government doesn't care if Mexican citizens/residents have to pay a Tourist Tax when flying into Mexico...that's more money in their pockets. Their just saying "you are legally exempted from paying a Tourist Tax."

Purdyd
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2022 at 07:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by karenintx  
Purdyd = That is correct on health questionnaire...use to have to fill this out upon arriving and departing.

Yes I flew into baja in February and out in March, which is when I discovered the health questionnaire was no longer required.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-1-2022 at 07:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
The Mexican Government doesn't care if Mexican citizens/residents have to pay a Tourist Tax when flying into Mexico...that's more money in their pockets.

Personally, I have no quarrel with the Mexican Government on this issue; it's the airlines collecting it, and since the overwhelming majority of southbound fliers are liable for the tax, the simplest thing is for them to require the few of us who aren't, to demonstrate we are exempt. To the airline.

The problem is with those (clueless?) airlines who make that process difficult. I've had good experiences with Alaska Air.

Sounds like the victims have good cause for a class-action lawsuit re over-charging!
Seems to me the airlines could make their purchase portals quite easily have a citizenship/visa check box so you would get billed for proper amount at time of purchase.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 6-2-2022 at 12:07 PM

All airlines cheat you anyway they can. Easy fix when they do this pay with CC. After you land stop payment dispute on CC. sadly I had to do this 4 times now.
Timinator
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2022 at 06:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
On my last trip, I had very little hassle getting my FMM at Mexicali West. No line of traffic getting to the Migration facility, and the agent took my money, checked the form and my passport, and wished me a good visit.

It wasn't until much later that I realized the FMM was probably worthless, because he did not stamp it! Be sure and check yours before you leave the facility!

PLEASE HELP ME! Where is the Immigration office when crossing at Mexicali West? We were unable to find it after driving around in Mexicali for 2 hours! I was told once in BOLA that it's before your go through the border? Is that right? We passed through the border crossing, then immediately the road splits into 3 or 4 road/offramps to take you different places. There was nothging immediately after crossing.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-3-2022 at 07:08 AM

The INM desk is inside the FIRST BUILDING inside Mexico (always)...
There is parking on the left BEFORE the electric gates (red/ green light). If you miss being in the left or there are no spots to park, simply park after the electric gates, even along the street, and walk over to that building... and inside, by the north entrance is the INM (migra) desk.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-3-2022 at 07:21 AM
Sky View:

See INM office listed? Covered parking on the north side?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Timinator
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2022 at 07:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
The INM desk is inside the FIRST BUILDING inside Mexico (always)...
There is parking on the left BEFORE the electric gates (red/ green light). If you miss being in the left or there are no spots to park, simply park after the electric gates, even along the street, and walk over to that building... and inside, by the north entrance is the INM (migra) desk.

Thank you. I just looked on Google maps and enlarged it. I see it now. What a cluster F that was.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 6-3-2022 at 07:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Timinator  
On my last trip, I had very little hassle getting my FMM at Mexicali West. No line of traffic getting to the Migration facility, and the agent took my money, checked the form and my passport, and wished me a good visit.

It wasn't until much later that I realized the FMM was probably worthless, because he did not stamp it! Be sure and check yours before you leave the facility!

PLEASE HELP ME! Where is the Immigration office when crossing at Mexicali West? We were unable to find it after driving around in Mexicali for 2 hours! I was told once in BOLA that it's before your go through the border? Is that right? We passed through the border crossing, then immediately the road splits into 3 or 4 road/offramps to take you different places. There was nothging immediately after crossing.

The immigration desk is in the building on east side of crossing lights/gates/guards. You can try to park on usa side of this building, under canopy,… but sometimes the guards chase you off and say this area is only for “something to declare” parking. Alternate parking is on left just past the lights/gates. When crowded, you may need to park creatively or double park. In case of double parking, leave someone with vehicle (take turns going inside to get fmm).

I don’t know why the border xings are not set up with better parking/instructions for visitors to get fmms. Otay used to have a large parking lot that was easy to park when going into do biz,… not sure if that lot is still there, been many years since I used Otay going southbound.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-3-2022 at 07:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

The immigration desk is in the building on east side of crossing lights/gates/guards. You can try to park on usa side of this building, under canopy,… but sometimes the guards chase you off and say this area is only for “something to declare” parking. Alternate parking is on left just past the lights/gates. When crowded, you may need to park creatively or double park. In case of double parking, leave someone with vehicle (take turns going inside to get fmm).

I don’t know why the border xings are not set up with better parking/instructions for visitors to get fmms. Otay used to have a large parking lot that was easy to park when going into do biz,… not sure if that lot is still there, been many years since I used Otay going southbound.

Thanks for bringing up the "something to declare" issue. I had used the covered parking spot when getting my FMM on prior trips, and thought I was in the right spot. On the last trip, when I came out of the office with the FMM, there were a couple of agents (or soldiers?) waiting to inspect my Trooper.

It was no big deal, and I got a very minimal search, possibly because of the big dog in my car. Apparently the shaded parking is for the agents, not the tourists!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 6-3-2022 at 08:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Thanks for bringing up the "something to declare" issue. I had used the covered parking spot when getting my FMM on prior trips, and thought I was in the right spot. On the last trip, when I came out of the office with the FMM, there were a couple of agents (or soldiers?) waiting to inspect my Trooper.

It was no big deal, and I got a very minimal search, possibly because of the big dog in my car. Apparently the shaded parking is for the agents, not the tourists!

When I was scolded for parking there, I deduced that the north side parking is for people declaring imported stuff and going inside building to do paperwork.
The parking on south side past the gates is very limited,… last time there we had to double-park. Looking at the cars parked there, I estimated 80% of parking was taken up by govt trucks,…. They really make it difficult for people to do the right thing and get an fmm

Woke!

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 6-3-2022 at 08:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
All airlines cheat you anyway they can. Easy fix when they do this pay with CC. After you land stop payment dispute on CC. sadly I had to do this 4 times now.

What had you done to inform them of your tax-exempt status before you disputed the charge?
lLencho none of my disputes where about that. The good news I won all 4 disputes . As the problems they made unacceptable to me. Then they lied to CC on Dispute haha . When I send cel phone picture OPPS they got got. Money not returned to them there all cheats .
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2022 at 06:27 PM

Keeping your 180 day FMM tourist form for border crossing is legal when driving however under no circumstances do you want to walk off of a plane then hand your 180 FMM tourist form you got at the border to an airport INM agent nor do you want to argue with the agent. 

Now I am confused. When you walk off a plane in Mexico and their customs issue FMM that you've already paid for, why - and HOW - would you want to get another FMM at the land border while still in the country?

OTH, if you got FMM at the land border, it doesn't say that you can't give it to airport INM when leaving Mexico. Maybe this is so, I don't know, never heard about it, there are some obscure laws that we don't know about.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2022 at 07:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

Keeping your 180 day FMM tourist form for border crossing is legal when driving however under no circumstances do you want to walk off of a plane then hand your 180 FMM tourist form you got at the border to an airport INM agent nor do you want to argue with the agent. 

Now I am confused. When you walk off a plane in Mexico and their customs issue FMM that you've already paid for, why - and HOW - would you want to get another FMM at the land border while still in the country?

OTH, if you got FMM at the land border, it doesn't say that you can't give it to airport INM when leaving Mexico. Maybe this is so, I don't know, never heard about it, there are some obscure laws that we don't know about.

Yes, you are confused. She was talking about trying to use a tourist card you were issued when you drove into Mexico some time ago, and then drove out again. She's right- you can't use that same tourist card, even if it isn't expired, to fly back into Mexico.

But certainly you can hand it in at the airport if you drove in and are flying out.

And BTW, only in Baja do they let you drive in and drive out and drive back in on the same tourist card. Baja INM operates outside the actual law. It says right on the tourist card that it is only valid for the length of your stay. That means when you drive out, that card is then invalid.66
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2022 at 08:08 PM

When you fly, if you are exempt from tourist tax, as a resident or National, you may request a voluntary tax refund form, from any terminal gate agent, not outside the terminal where you enter,. The voluntary tax refund form should include your ticket number and name etc and the tax will be refunded to the original form of payment, usually CC. The forms may be found usually in a drawer inside the terminal with any gate agent for the airline you are flying, who has responsibility to complete the form and give you a copy. Not sure why it is done this way, but that is how it has always been, the refund will occur quickly, in a few days at most.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2022 at 08:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
When you fly, if you are exempt from tourist tax, as a resident or National, you may request a voluntary tax refund form, from any terminal gate agent, not outside the terminal where you enter,. The voluntary tax refund form should include your ticket number and name etc and the tax will be refunded to the original form of payment, usually CC. The forms may be found usually in a drawer inside the terminal with any gate agent for the airline you are flying, who has responsibility to complete the form and give you a copy. Not sure why it is done this way, but that is how it has alwaysmade me been, the refund will occur quickly, in a few days at most.

That is how some airlines do it, not all. Not all have the forms at the gates. Alaska did, Westjet makes you call them before you book the ticket, and they adjust the ticket price before you pay for it. And Air Canada made me send a copy of my residency after the flight. And in neither of those cases, nor when filling out the tax form with Alaska, did I get reeimbursed in a matter of days.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2022 at 10:42 AM

Yes, there are many methods to get reimbursed prior to and after the flight, all require your action and persistence, to demonstrate the qualification for voluntary tax refund and the airline has an obligation to provide the refund in a timely manner.

I suppose I have had success because I am persistent to make sure I get it done in writing, I usually take the time to pursue it while I wait for my flight, both in person to locate an agent with the form and to confirm with the airline in writing with a picture of the form and I keep the receipt until I get a refund, which happens quickly.

Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.