Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Temporary Resident Card
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 8-12-2022 at 11:14 AM

there's a lot of misinformation floating around regarding this amnesty program, here's the straight dope from everyone's favorite insurance vendor....
https://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajastoryteller/mex...

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2022 at 11:20 AM

And when you get to the migration office they will use their interpretation of what was documented on the link.
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2022 at 11:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
And when you get to the migration office they will use their interpretation of what was documented on the link.

im not sure what you're getting at but I just recently did it and it was exactly as reported

John Hiatt
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2022 at 02:20 PM

Good to know
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2022 at 06:49 PM

Step #1
Be sure when you arrive in Mexico that you come with a valid
FMM. It is required to get started.

Excuse me if I'm beating this into the ground. I assume this
requirement of an expired is for the 180 fmm, I have a few
7 day fmm's, probably wouldn't work. The bajabound link
states to show at a Mex Imm office without a valid fmm,
ironically admitting one is in the country illegally

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2022 at 12:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  

Step #1
Be sure when you arrive in Mexico that you come with a valid
FMM. It is required to get started.

Excuse me if I'm beating this into the ground. I assume this
requirement of an expired is for the 180 fmm, I have a few
7 day fmm's, probably wouldn't work. The bajabound link
states to show at a Mex Imm office without a valid fmm,
ironically admitting one is in the country illegally

thats the point, they're giving expats living here an opportunity to get legal....this program won't last forever, take advantage!
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2022 at 07:30 AM

Factual with first hand experience in the last year of travel.
It is maybe random, but when crossing the border at both Mexicali west and Algodones you cannot enter the country without an FMM, or PR, TR.
At Mexicali east they don't seem to care unless the stop you for another reason like to inspect you trailered vehicle. Then the migration guy will ask for the documents.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2022 at 08:10 AM

Lots of misinformation in this thread? All requirements are available online at INM GOB. Many threads exist on BN with correct info.

https://www.inm.gob.mx/mpublic/publico/inm-tramites.html

Generally, you must leave Mexico and go the Mexican Consulate outside of Mexico, usually in your home state, to begin the process of change of status to RP/TR, unless you qualify as an employee which is handled by the company or by family/marriage of other professional or other qualification.

Yes, there is a financial requirement for TR/PR, based on income, savings, and/or value of home in Mexico.

Once you get the big sticker in the passport from the Mexican consulate in your home state you must enter within 6 months, when you cross you must check in at INM and you will request a FMM marked Canje, and you should immediately proceed to your home in Mexico and check in at the INM to begin the process. You are approved but you will go through sharing the same qualifications again. The process actually begins online, but, you may get assistance from the INM to begin. You do have 30 days to go to INM, but its best to begin immediately.

ONce in process you are in limbo and can not leave Mexico unless you file for a request to leave which includes a fee and comes with a letter of temporary status in process.

The process can be quick if you are able to provide all details or could take much longer. Finally you will receive notice that you can come by for fingerprinting and receive the card.

If you want you can have an expediter, or facilitator who knows the process, and will help you but it costs money and they are not doing anything that you couldn't do. But if you live far away from the INM or don't like to wait around an expediter can help.

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2022 at 10:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
If you want you can have an expediter, or facilitator who knows the process, and will help you but it costs money and they are not doing anything that you couldn't do.

True. But a good gestor with connections will usually get it done faster and more easily, especially if the foreigner's Spanish is poor.

Personally, I think they're worth their weight in gold for any serious process.

On the other hand, if one has lots of time and wants the personal experience of wending through the burrocracy, it can be quite entertaining.

Agree, It can be very frustrating and time consuming. I've never used one but know many. Having passed likely 100 visits to INM over my lifetime until I became PR and since then never returned, I agree, no matter how skilled you are there are times where for some reason it goes wrong due to agent error or misunderstanding, while the professionals are very capable of submitting successful paperwork in a consistent manner, and they get treated in a very kind manner.

The INM even opens for one hour just for expediters, I think it's 1-2pm which makes it possible for them to run around all morning and arrive to complete the actions required.
Markus10L
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2022 at 10:17 AM

This is interesting. I have applied for my RP at the Fresno office in CA in person (walk in's only). I handed all my paperwork including the financial solvency, photo, forms, etc. In the beginning of March this year. There was email communication which they requested some more documents then once they had everything they needed they said they would get back asap. That's when they completely disappeared and have not heard from them since. The last communication was April 8th this year

At this point now I would not meet the financial solvency because that money was spent on my house. Someone referenced the price of your house and property as a form of financial solvency. Does anyone know how that works? Weird thing with the Consulates is each one has a different financial solvency.

I think I will try again for a RT visa this next time. Does anyone know of someone in the Todos Santos, La Paz, or Cabo area that is an expediter?

pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2022 at 10:27 AM

This is a bit of a tangent, but it's related in my mind because it involves nearly impenetrable bureaucracy (in this case the Massachusetts RMV) and the value of expediters. I bought my wife's 2008 Toyota RAV4 when it came off lease about 10 years ago. What should have been fairly straightforward became complicated because she technically didn't own the car - the leasing company did. She had to buy the car from the leasing company and then sell it to me. Massachusetts law requires that a car is insured before it can be registered, therefore the process involved multiple trips to the RMV and insurance company. Further complicating things is the fact that Massachusetts has shut down many RMV locations, meaning that one had to wait on long lines at the few that were still open for transactions that couldn't be completed online. My wife and I both took time off from work to try to get things done during business hours, and between us probably went to the RMV 6 or 7 times. After the 7th time, when I thought I was finally finished but wasn't, I had a meltdown during a phone call to my insurance company from the Watertown RMV parking lot. That's when I learned about the expediter: for $50 cash, a retired gentleman in a suit would not only wait on line for me, but also verify that I had all of the correct paperwork to complete the transaction. He happened to be visiting the insurance office that evening, so I rushed over there and gladly handed him a $50 bill and a folder of my paperwork. He reviewed it in front of me and assured me that I would have valid plates and a registration by the following evening. That was $50 well spent.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2022 at 04:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Markus10L  
This is interesting. I have applied for my RP at the Fresno office in CA in person (walk in's only). I handed all my paperwork including the financial solvency, photo, forms, etc. In the beginning of March this year. There was email communication which they requested some more documents then once they had everything they needed they said they would get back asap. That's when they completely disappeared and have not heard from them since. The last communication was April 8th this year

At this point now I would not meet the financial solvency because that money was spent on my house. Someone referenced the price of your house and property as a form of financial solvency. Does anyone know how that works? Weird thing with the Consulates is each one has a different financial solvency.

I think I will try again for a RT visa this next time. Does anyone know of someone in the Todos Santos, La Paz, or Cabo area that is an expediter?

The qualification for either TR/PR is a formula generally 8 points possible, with guidelines, that is based on average daily salary in Mexico translated to dollars, over the last 6 months and points for various demonstrated qualifications like house in Mexico value, monthly income, bank balance covering 6 months, and other qualifications like do you speak Spanish, do you contribute something of value professionally, which could be STEM skills, religious, music or athletic skills, of course this is not clear or available to be shared and evlauated. but, it is stated on the INM Gob Migratorio site, so, best to present all your qualifications in writing, with letterhead. Bank statements are key, plus value of investment, proof of skills, as in licenses certifications usually those apostles from your secretary of state dept.

Of course if you qualify with income, Mexico home value investment or savings none of the others are required.

Bring it all, make a folder, print the guidelines, banking records (if you qualify) degrees, you could be certified instructor, athlete or musician, bring it all, have formal Spanish training, regional knowledge, it makes it go fast and easy.

Formulas and guidelines for Visas have been shared here often gif you search or search on the INM Gob site.

Here is a SRE GOB site in English with PR/Tr recent process, though SRE doesn't process applications?
https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/leamington/index.php/non-mexica...

More info about qualification by family in English.

https://www.inm.gob.mx/static/Tramites/en/CHANGE_OF_CONDITIO...

[Edited on 8-13-2022 by gnukid]
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2022 at 04:53 PM

If you want you can have an expediter, or facilitator who knows the process, and will help you but it costs money and they are not doing anything that you couldn't do.

True. But a good gestor with connections will usually get it done faster and more easily, especially if the foreigner's Spanish is poor.

On the other hand, if one has lots of time and wants the personal experience of wending through the burrocracy, it can be quite entertaining.

Using a facilitator made our application very fast and surprisingly inexpensive. We used the one the INM office in La Paz recommended and it was completed in only one day. Her charge was only 7,000 pesos to accomplish the fast completion. No glitches except waiting for the manager of the INM to return for our formalized pictures and fingerprinting. We had no expired visas, just proof we had visited Mexico several times over the past 2 years, which appears to now qualify as a good enough reason to be admitted to temporary residency. In addition the approval was for the full 4 years and included the fees for thatt purpose of 14,100 pesos each person in addition to Blanca's fees.
Net result of the new expedited system (they warned us it was not going to last forever) is far far less expensive than the old methods, and income requirements far lower as well, no trips to foreign consulates in other countries required. The La Paz INM office actually pushed us to use this rather than the difficult normal method.
Our facilitator was very well known at the office and her name was Blanca Corral Del Castillo if you are using La Paz.

[Edited on 8-14-2022 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
eastmeetswest
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2022 at 10:20 AM

I think that we will go the facilitator route. Does anyone know of a good one in San Jose? Gracias
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2022 at 10:32 AM

As soon as we entered the 95°f waiting room, saw a room full of sweaty gringos waiting and then waiting some more while our agent went to the window and stamp stamp...we were in there 7 minutes. Yup, I can afford that service.
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2022 at 10:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

As soon as we entered the 95°f waiting room, saw a room full of sweaty gringos waiting and then waiting some more while our agent went to the window and stamp stamp...we were in there 7 minutes. Yup, I can afford that service.

heck yeah! I can only speak for rosarito INM, just go up to the 3rd floor of city hall and take a look:o the facilitators I used both worked at IMN offices, talk about streamlined....

John Hiatt
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-16-2022 at 11:02 AM

"Facilitator fee" has a much nicer ring to it than "bribe". :yes:

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
karenintx
Senior Nomad

Mood: Living The Dream

[*] posted on 8-16-2022 at 11:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by eastmeetswest  
I think that we will go the facilitator route. Does anyone know of a good one in San Jose? Gracias

I assume you mean San Jose Del Cabo. If so, Josie Peralta Camacho of Mexico Paperworks. She worked for the INM in Cabo San Lucas for years, is fluent in English and knows everyone in the INM office.

https://www.mexicopaperworks.com/about-us.html

There is an article in the Gringo Gazette written by a lady that just used Josie. Kind of a long article but if you skip to page 21 that is where she talks about Josie.

https://gringogazette.com/wp/2022/08/august-15-2022-edition/

Good Luck.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2022 at 01:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
"Facilitator fee" has a much nicer ring to it than "bribe". :yes:

Hadn't occurred to me that the gestores are paying off the government officials.

I bet they don't need to.

But I wouldn't be surprised if they go out drinking together and are padrinos to each other's kids. :lol:

yeah Everyone here is on the take...right?:rolleyes:
lwpa
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2022 at 05:45 AM
Temporary Resident Card Process

To the person who asked me how long it took to get an appointment at the Mexican Consulate in Las Vegas, the answer 2 months.
Regarding hiring an immigration jestor or facilitator they are not cheap and I know of one who previously worked in the local immigration office in TJ so she has connections there. If you are in a hurry to get your card which can take up to a month and involve 2 seperate trips to the immigration office, they say they can do it all in one day for an extra $500.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.