Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: South Dakota Plates for Cal car in Cabo
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2023 at 10:24 AM

Can't remember exactly- something like 1000 pesos, as I recall.
US 41
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2023 at 06:38 AM

So are South Dakota plates only for American cars that have been brought down from the states or are they also available for cars that have been purchased in Mexico (by US citizens)?
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2023 at 09:28 AM

Obviously you can't get plates for a vehicle in one country that is registered in another country unless you legally import it to the country where you want plates from.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2023 at 11:04 AM

A US-plated car that is in Mexico would have had to be "brought down" at some point. Maybe the questioner needs to be more specific.

While it is technically illegal to sell a foreign-plated vehicle that has been brought down from NOB, people do it. I did it myself years ago. However, it was a Canadian-plated vehicle and I drove it back to Canada to get the registration changed over to my name there, with new Canadian plates. Then, when I became a permanent resident and could no longer drive a foreign-plated vehicle, I took it back to Canada, sold it there, and bought a Mexican-plated car.
So it didn't get sold and stay in Mexico, which is Mexico's main concern.
US 41
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2023 at 03:31 PM

Oh so you get the South Dakota plates before you cross the border. I didn't know how it worked, I just saw SD plates everywhere and some guy was telling me how they're really easy to get because you don't have to be a SD resident to get an SD plate.

What exactly is the benefit then? Why not just register it in your home state? Emissions tests avoidance maybe?

[Edited on 9-12-2023 by US 41]
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 9-12-2023 at 03:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by US 41  
Oh so you get the South Dakota plates before you cross the border. I didn't know how it worked, I just saw SD plates everywhere and some guy was telling me how they're really easy to get because you don't have to be a SD resident to get an SD plate.

What exactly is the benefit then? Why not just register it in your home state? Emissions tests avoidance maybe?

no smog or insurance....and cheaper (at least compared to ca)

[Edited on 9-12-2023 by Don Pisto]

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2023 at 04:45 PM

What exactly is the benefit then?

Registering a car and getting plates without insurance is a big reason to get SD plates.

[Edited on 9-12-2023 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2023 at 08:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  

no smog or insurance....and cheaper (at least compared to ca)

[Edited on 9-12-2023 by Don Pisto]

Because California is a communist shat hole. Simple enough
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2023 at 08:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
A US-plated car that is in Mexico would have had to be "brought down" at some point. Maybe the questioner needs to be more specific.

While it is technically illegal to sell a foreign-plated vehicle that has been brought down from NOB, people do it. I did it myself years ago. However, it was a Canadian-plated vehicle and I drove it back to Canada to get the registration changed over to my name there, with new Canadian plates. Then, when I became a permanent resident and could no longer drive a foreign-plated vehicle, I took it back to Canada, sold it there, and bought a Mexican-plated car.
So it didn't get sold and stay in Mexico, which is Mexico's main concern.

So you shat on Mexican law until it was convenient… ehh??
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2023 at 08:29 PM

No, there was nothing even slightly "convenient" about driving the car back to Canada after I bought it to get it registered in my name, and nothing "convenient" about driving it back to Canada again 2 years later to sell it when I could no longer legally drive it here. In fact, I could have just used the car, driving it back to Canada, and paid the woman I bought it from, who had moved back to Canada, when I drove it back up there. Really, all I was doing was saving her having to drive it north herself- she wanted to fly.

There was nothing illegal about what I did. The car wasn't brought into Mexico, sold, and left here.

I know these nuances are hard for you to grasp. Plus, the only reason you posted this was to have yet another excuse to write an azzhole post.

[Edited on 9-13-2023 by surabi]

[Edited on 9-13-2023 by surabi]
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2023 at 02:32 PM

You are correct- as far as I am aware, the law about selling a temporarily imported car doesn't make a distinction, so I guess technically it is illegal. But no actual money changed hands here. I transferred the money from my Canadian bank account to hers. And the car was completely removed from Mexico a few years later.

The law really exists to prevent people from bringing cars in, selling them here and the vehicles remaining here, perhaps somehow fudging paperwork to get Mexican plates, or like a lot of vehicles I see around my area, having been sold to a Mexican who gets those paper plates given by one of those campesino organizations, like UCD.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2023 at 09:24 AM

At least for Californians, our State once again cuts off its nose to spite it's face. To register my vehicle in CA I would need to drive it back to the State for a smog inspection every two years. That alone would have me driving more miles than I would typically put on during that period. It also requires me to maintain CA insurance even though the car would never be driven there.

It is not an attempt to avoid having insurance as someone suggested. I maintain a Mexican insurance policy as required by Mexican law. It just makes no sense to more than double the miles I drive just for a smog check. I can't see that as helping the environment.

Someone may point out that the California Vehicle Code provides an exemption to smog checks for vehicles in Mexico unless it is in Tijuana, Tecate or Ensenada. This is true. Unfortunately, several DMV offices still won't accept that. Sure, I could go to court to prove I am eligible for this exemption but why? Just so I can pay registration fees that are at least 3X's higher and maintain a CA insurance policy that I can never make a claim on? Additionally, I would have to go to a DMV office in person, annually to renew my exemption.

If South Dakota is willing to sell me plates that probably cost them about 50 cents of pot metal and a 10 cent sticker each year, knowing full well that I will never pollute their air or cause any wear to their road, then I am happy to support them:lol:

In Memory of E-57
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2023 at 09:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alan  

It is not an attempt to avoid having insurance as someone suggested.

I mentioned you can register and get plates without insurance. I didn't use the word avoid. My point is you don't need to buy US insurance you don't need if the car is in Mexico where only Mexican insurance is needed.

[Edited on 9-14-2023 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2023 at 09:40 AM

Is it true that if you have South Dakota plates on a car that lives in Mexico with only Mexican insurance and you want to drive into the United States, you can stop at OXXO, or other places, to buy insurance that will cover you in the US for the time you are there?

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 9-14-2023 at 10:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Is it true that if you have South Dakota plates on a car that lives in Mexico with only Mexican insurance and you want to drive into the United States, you can stop at OXXO, or other places, to buy insurance that will cover you in the US for the time you are there?

when I cross I stop at my local insurance company to buy temp u.s. insurance from a company called National Unity. they only offer liability and only available for a three week term but if need be you can call and renew the policy. a 3 week policy is about 50 bucks. im sure it's chit insurance but makes you legal. never seen it sold anywhere other than local insurance agents

[Edited on 9-14-2023 by Don Pisto]

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2024 at 06:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
In what might be related to the topic of SD plates, I just read this article in an RV magazine that implies that SD might stop allowing non-residents to establish a domicile in the state.

Spend 1 night in the state , get a drivers license, get plates for your rig,register to vote , hire a mailbox.
Easily done i a half day.

[Edited on 4-17-2024 by pacificobob]
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 4-16-2024 at 11:00 PM

US 41,

You can’t buy a Mexican vehicle and register it in SD from Mexico. You would first need to Import it into the US legally.

Why SD? It’s cheeper and easer. US insurance is cheeper. Most people use Clay County in SD. The folks there are pleasant to deal with and helpful. You do need to go there for at least a day to get a DL. Most use America’s Mail Box in Box Elder, SD. They are a one stop shop for everything including US insurance.
digcolnagos

[*] posted on 4-17-2024 at 12:42 PM

Quick (I hope) question.

It's my understanding that folks holding permanent residency can't legally drive a U.S.-plated/titled car, but you can with temporary residency.

Is that right?
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2024 at 12:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by digcolnagos  
Quick (I hope) question.

It's my understanding that folks holding permanent residency can't legally drive a U.S.-plated/titled car, but you can with temporary residency.

Is that right?

Correct. However, "U.S. plated" is irrelevant. Can't drive any foreign plated car.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.