BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Carjackings! Parque Nacional Constitución de 1857 (Laguna Hanson) is closed
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2023 at 06:41 PM
Carjackings! Parque Nacional Constitución de 1857 (Laguna Hanson) is closed

I just received information that the National Park (Laguna Hanson) is officially closed until further notice.

Over the weekend, a family was robbed of their valuables and carjacked on the dirt road south of La Rumorosa. The robbery occurred somewhere, between Rancho La Ponderosa and the El Topo turnoff, perhaps at KM 30. Heavily armed men in 3 vehicles carjacked a 2022 Ford Ranger. The bandidos were armed with automatic rifles. Later, a Can-Am UTV was carjacked by the same group.

This is not the random "lone wolf" type of robbery which has happened rarely in the Sierra de Juárez. It leaves an impression of organized crime.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2023 at 06:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Maderita  
I just received information that the National Park (Laguna Hanson) is officially closed until further notice.

Over the weekend, a family was robbed of their valuables and carjacked on the dirt road south of La Rumorosa. The robbery occurred somewhere, between Rancho La Ponderosa and the El Topo turnoff, perhaps at KM 30. Heavily armed men in 3 vehicles carjacked a 2022 Ford Ranger. The bandidos were armed with automatic rifles. Later, a Can-Am UTV was carjacked by the same group.

This is not the random "lone wolf" type of robbery which has happened rarely in the Sierra de Juárez. It leaves an impression of organized crime.

:no:....ugh
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-4-2023 at 06:56 PM

I have driven that road a couple of times and was hoping to try it again this year. Thanks for the warning!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Mateo-Feo
Nomad

Mood: MuchoTakeitEasy

[*] posted on 9-4-2023 at 07:02 PM

The article said they stripped them naked and shot at the ground next to them to scare them as well. Pretty crazy, hoping the shutdown is to clean up the area. Super lame

Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2023 at 08:31 PM

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2023 at 08:56 PM

Definitely sad to hear this again. Very pretty area to explore.
BeachSeeker
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2023 at 09:26 PM

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=90563

Same M.O.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-5-2023 at 03:20 AM

Seems y’all are posting info from a news article. Here is the article:
https://www.ensenada.net/noticias/nota.php?id=72802

Sad that police in mexico are so ineffective that the response to ongoing crime is to close a national park rather than just cleaning up the neighborhood.

Abrazos, no balazos :thumbdown:

[Edited on 9-5-2023 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2023 at 06:12 AM

Terrible news.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2023 at 09:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Seems y’all are posting info from a news article. Here is the article:
https://www.ensenada.net/noticias/nota.php?id=72802
[Edited on 9-5-2023 by mtgoat666]

Goat,
Thanks for posting that link. I received information from a quasi-official source and by messaging with local ranchers. That was before the news article, which was published today.
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2023 at 07:04 PM

This afternoon, government officials are making statements to the effect of: These were isolated incidents. The government and national guard are dealing with the situation. The national park is safe now. The park is open again, functioning normally.

Typical political spin to do nothing except give press talks and pretend to the public that the situation is in the control of their capable hands and now safe. Of course, tourists are invited back to the area.

Meanwhile, the heavily armed gang has not been identified, captured or shot dead. Two meth labs were found in the vicinity of one carjacking. There appears to be no evidence to support the belief that this gang will halt criminal activity in the area.

Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2023 at 12:01 PM

Some details were posted on Facebook, as follows:

Translations for the non spanish speakers
"Good afternoon, please help us alert the authorities... Last Saturday, a group of friends and I went to Laguna Hanson for a trip. We brought pick-ups, motorcycles, and all-terrain vehicles, including a Can Am. On the way from Rumorosa to Laguna Hanson, we came face to face with three cars: a blue Ranger from around this year that was speeding, followed by a gray Tacoma from around 2020, and lastly a Jeep Cherokee from around 2020. In all three cars, there were armed men wearing bulletproof vests. At first, we thought they were authorities because they even greeted us when we faced them. However, when we took a closer look, surprised to see armed people so brazenly, we noticed that all of them had American license plates.
Some friends who were behind us encountered these same vehicles. But since our friends were alone in an all-terrain vehicle (Can Am), the armed men blocked their path, got them out at gunpoint, and took their Can Am vehicle, gold chains, watches, cell phones, and cash. They laid our friends on the ground, kicked them, and fired shots near their heads four times, presumably to scare them.
It's very concerning because we found out that one of the cars they had, the Ranger, had just been taken in the same manner from other young people. Laguna Hanson was full of families and children, and this armed and vested group is robbing people at gunpoint. They only fired shots to scare my friends, but something worse could happen.
The problem is significant, and the solution must be equally significant to prevent further tragedies, like the young man who was killed when he went to La Rumorosa to take photos of Mausan Street.
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2023 at 02:01 PM

Not good.

There are only two roads to easily get to Hwy. 3 from where the incident occurred, at El Condor and at La Rumorosa. So if it were possible to call police they could seal off the area. But it is not possible to call police. No cell phone signal.

Thanks for sharing this information.
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2023 at 03:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  
Not good.

There are only two roads to easily get to Hwy. 3 from where the incident occurred, at El Condor and at La Rumorosa. So if it were possible to call police they could seal off the area. But it is not possible to call police. No cell phone signal.

bajaric,
De nada. Yes, as you said, there are essentially only two roads leading north from the carjacking at Km 30 to highway Mex 2 (the southern route toward Ojos Negros reaches Mex 3).

There is spotty cell signal from the rocks at Tajo, east of Km 31.5 We have satellite wi-fi at Rancho El Topo, 2 Km to the west of Km 35. Before satellite internet, we used phones from a hill top near the "Y" junction with the El Condor road.

Even if a phone call was made to the police in La Rumorosa, do we think the police would respond and attempt to intercept a heavily armed gang? :no: I believe they would suddenly have more important business at the panaderia.
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2023 at 05:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  
Not good.

bajaric,
De nada. Yes, as you said, there are essentially only two roads leading north from the carjacking at Km 30 to highway Mex 2 (the southern route toward Ojos Negros reaches Mex 3).

There is spotty cell signal from the rocks at Tajo, east of Km 31.5 We have satellite wi-fi at Rancho El Topo, 2 Km to the west of Km 35. Before satellite internet, we used phones from a hill top near the "Y" junction with the El Condor road.

Even if a phone call was made to the police in La Rumorosa, do we think the police would respond and attempt to intercept a heavily armed gang? :no: I believe they would suddenly have more important business at the panaderia.

Sorry, meant Hwy 2, not Hwy 3. Hopefully justice will be served, somehow.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-6-2023 at 07:10 PM

The problem is significant, and the solution must be equally significant to prevent further tragedies, like the young man who was killed when he went to La Rumorosa to take photos of Mausan Street.

:o:o:o:o:o

https://mexicodailypost.com/2022/11/17/video-cartel-attack-o...

Fernando Rodríguez Ocampo was a young man from Mexico, a very close friend since high school whom I admire and esteem like you have no idea, with whom I had the pleasure of sharing many adventures. The one that Friday night/Saturday morning was supposed to be just one more.

That night Fernando, Cristina and I boarded my friend’s vehicle with a simple purpose: to go to the recently named street “Jaime Maussan” in the town of La Rumorosa and take a picture there. That’s all. And we had met our goal.

However, it was seconds after we got into the truck with the intention of returning home when, almost at midnight, a car belonging to an armed group approached us, threatened us, and when trying to escape shot at our unit, injuring Fernando and me. Not satisfied with that, the cowards got my friend out of the car, already out of the way, and took him to an unknown destination, leaving Cristina and me at the scene of the attack, she fortunately unharmed.

I am convinced that having gone to Tecate at that time of night is a decision that we will have to live with for the rest of our lives. But tell me, how many people don’t? Especially young people who, like us, just want to go out, have fun and make memories with our loved ones. Does that justify that a group of “emboldened” with firearms, who believe they own the streets, end people’s lives for the simple fact of being there? Because that was. It was a unilateral attack by an armed group against a trio of tourists who “neither owed it nor feared it.” IT WAS NOT a fight between criminal gangs, IT WAS NOT a settling of scores and IT WAS NOT because they “behaved badly” as people with low mental development are used to always trying to justify any act of violence that is experienced in our state.

Note: the street had been named for Jaime just a week before the kids went to see the new street signs. Jaime is a journalist who promoted la rumorosa as a UFO hot spot.

I don’t recommend going to la rumorosa to wander around looking for ufos or anything else!

[Edited on 9-7-2023 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2023 at 03:38 PM

Armed patrols at Laguna Hanson and ranches to the north.

https://www.uniradioinforma.com/gobierno/continua-fesc-recor...

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2023 at 03:42 PM

One article I read said there are meth labs up there. If true, they have to find and get rid of them.

[Edited on 9-10-2023 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2023 at 06:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
One article I read said there are meth labs up there. If true, they have to find and get rid of them.
[Edited on 9-10-2023 by SFandH]

I received information that two meth labs were found near the location of one of the carjackings. I believe that marihuana harvest season is now through October. Several of the canyons with water sources have crops. A dangerous time of year to wander around those areas.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.