Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Robbed in Mexicali 5 minutes after crossin
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 10-19-2023 at 05:26 PM

https://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=96772

Quote: Originally posted by TSThornton  
I don't typically like to put my business on the internet, but this forum has been helpful to me so I thought I should post this as a PSA.

I crossed Mexicali West alone at 6:30 am on Monday morning. Was pulled over by city cops where the road takes a dip through the turns shortly after the border before joining main 5. My offense was having my dogs outside of a crate in the cab of my truck. It was pretty scary for me, with them having me put my hands on the truck, while one was on my left going through my wallet while the other on my right was going through everything in the cab. They would not permit me to go to the station with them unless I submitted to being arrested and traveling in their car, leaving my dogs in the truck. The cost to leave was $200.

I'm just putting it out there so it is known, but I don't intend to respond to any questions or opinions. If others want to offer suggestions on how to handle such a situtation based on their actual experience, that's fine.

[Edited on 10-20-2023 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-20-2023 at 12:48 PM

Well, Christmas IS getting close........these shakedowns always seem to increase, especially in big towns, at this time of year.

IF we are traveling with any significant cash (which we almost never do, anymore, because the ATMs are so easy now), my wife carries it in her bra. We have small amounts in our wallets; amounts we are willing to give up for a mordida.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2023 at 11:53 AM

What an upsetting story but THANKS SO MUCH for posting it. It is vital for women, alone, in vehicle to be aware of what might happen.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Borregoman
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2024 at 10:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by freediverbrian  
So sorry for your incident I always hide my cash and only carry $75 bucks in pesos on me. First post and a bad story?

What? Someone has to post 30 good posts before reporting a bad incident? Stupid comment…
Borregoman
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2024 at 10:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by freediverbrian  
So sorry for your incident I always hide my cash and only carry $75 bucks in pesos on me. First post and a bad story?

What? Someone has to post 30 good posts before reporting a bad incident? Stupid comment…
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2024 at 10:49 AM

Had similar experience outside of La Paz. Police collecting for "Christmas" and were happy with two $20 USD bills as that was all in the wallet. "Good" humor all around as if was an everyday occurance. I never carry anything more in my wallet for "all" to see and pleading need to get gasoline.
Burrito

[*] posted on 1-3-2024 at 05:50 PM

FYI: We (my husband and I, 60-ish) were pulled over in Mexicali after crossing on Dec. 24 at the first left turn to San Felipe. (We had been pulled over and searched after crossing.). We may have been driving "uncertainly" as this was our first crossing at this spot. (We have been coming down to BOLA for 22+ years via 1.) Two young cops, one female named Monica, seemingly friendly. I couldn't understand what they were asking us beyond asking if we had drugs or guns so I just began my Spanish 1 Honors spiel - who I was, where I lived, what my job was, where we were going, etc. They seemed interested that I was "una professor a un colegio in Calilfornia" and my husband as well. They asked if we were lost. We said no. They let us go. It was mildly rattling.
airmech
Nomad

Mood: Expeditionary

[*] posted on 1-4-2024 at 03:32 PM

Been shook down there in that same area 3 times last year. My friend had the same experience 2 months ago. Its getting bad at the west side. I now cross at the east. so far no problems

Both optimists and pessimists contribute to the society. The optimist invents the aeroplane, the pessimist the parachute.

— George Bernard Shaw
Mori

[*] posted on 1-7-2024 at 09:29 PM

Has anybody tried reporting these incidents to the Sindicatura or is that a waste of time?
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.