Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Dangerous Road Conditions HWY 1
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2024 at 08:56 AM

I'll add that the slower you go the better your chances of seeing a hole you want to avoid. The road past J&M has been bad a long time. Make sure your spare is good.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2024 at 05:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
The worst potholes I've encountered recently are on highway 3 between Ensenada and San Felipe. Those hole go through all layers of pavement to the earth below. In fact I'm sure everyone has experienced something like this. As you're driving along you need to make quick decisions on which ones you can handle at your speed and which ones to avoid. You can't avoid all. If you're seeing light warm colored sand in the pothole your mental warning system should engage to completely avoid them. They're usually deeper and have a nasty edge to them.
True that. I drove that yesterday towing a 26ft boat on a tandem trailer. It is really bad. I have driven that road four times in the last month and each time it has gotten worse. Yesterday I followed a Pemex tanker truck for many miles letting him choose the route through the baches and run interference to oncoming traffic. Many times I slowed down to 5mph.

At the San Ignacio military checkpoint immigration was there and checking visas. That is the second time I have been asked for my visa in the last month. Further up the road at the Tomatal military checkpoint immigration was there also.

But they had their hands full as a tour bus was there and its passengers were queued up getting their docs checked. Not one of the passengers was a Mexican or American citizen. People from all over the world, Asians, Haitians, Valenzuela etc. Speaking with the Lieutenant he said all of these folks are going to live with you guys. First time I have seen this in Baja outside of Tijuana.

I believe the presence of these migrants buses has forced immigration to man a few spots. Bored they see a gringo and ask for visas. I speculate it is mostly in the hopes of folks not having one and paying on the spot to be "legal". Cynic? Yup.

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2024 at 08:34 PM

On passing north through the San Ignacio check point, mid-February, there was a large bus full of men getting checked. The demographic of people looking to immigrant has changed.

Further north, there was a very big gathering of people in a field being processed by USBP near Campo. There is a famous “hole in the wall” near Jacumba, CA.

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2024/02/world/migrant-crossi...

Apparently there is cooperation between international crime organizations to move folks across the border. Some Googling turns up some very intesting reading about the current state of crossing in this area which is very close to the border.

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 3-10-2024 at 07:55 PM

Just drove up to Canada from La Paz and found some huge partially filled(some very deep) potholes. Pretty much all the way from Guerrero Negro up to where hwy 5 left from Hwy1. After that it was really quite good on 5 right up to Mexicali, far better than when we drove down a couple years ago.
Also stopped at the checkpoint by San Ignacio and questioned at length with requests for passports and info, but when he saw our Temp Immigration cards he waved us off and said next time just show those to save ourselves a lot of hassle.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.