BajaNomad

Jimena

Pages:  1  ..  8    10    12  ..  14

Paula - 9-3-2009 at 04:09 PM

Jusyt spoke to Elizabeth in Loreto again by cell phone. She drove from town to the airport and back early this afternoon to put family on the plane. She saw no damage on the drive from downtown-- either in town or along the highway.

Alaska flights are coming and going.

Not much consolation to those in Lopez M. and Mulege, but good news for some of us.

DENNIS - 9-3-2009 at 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ElFaro
Since we are on to exploring ideas for helping...How about an armada of private planes making air drops of supplies?

Are you serious? You can't be.

k-rico - 9-3-2009 at 04:16 PM

I know this is a serious topic about a serious event, but this made me smile:

"It follows the structure of the government. That is, the national leader is the president's wife, the state leader is the governor's wife."

Same with the structure of my family. :bounce:

[Edited on 9-3-2009 by k-rico]

Maria Isabel?

noproblemo2 - 9-3-2009 at 04:21 PM

Does anyone know about Maria Isabels place?

gnukid - 9-3-2009 at 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
gnukid- I think you mean that La Paz is the third largest metropolis in Baja.

One of the greatest challenges for Mulege is that what makes it special also makes it problematic. Lack of infrastructure, distance to larger towns, including the port of Santa Rosalia and the airport at Loreto. There's no backup available nearby.

The Metropolis of La Paz includes Comitan, San Pedro and Centanario is the 3rd-4th largest metropolis of Mexico (by area).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Paz_(municipality)

Populations?

[Edited on 9-4-2009 by BajaNomad]

bajajudy - 9-3-2009 at 04:59 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Paz_%28municipality%29

comitan - 9-3-2009 at 05:01 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_areas_of_M...

Taco de Baja - 9-3-2009 at 05:07 PM

Tracking south east. The models still want to pull it westward (blue TD's on the map), but Jimena just does not want to go there. The last green TS is from around 2:00 PM PDT.

WunderMap Link

[Edited on 9-4-2009 by Taco de Baja]

[Edited on 9-4-2009 by Taco de Baja]

gnukid - 9-3-2009 at 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
gnukid- I think you mean that La Paz is the third largest metropolis in Baja.

One of the greatest challenges for Mulege is that what makes it special also makes it problematic. Lack of infrastructure, distance to larger towns, including the port of Santa Rosalia and the airport at Loreto. There's no backup available nearby.

The Metropolis of La Paz includes Comitan, San Pedro and Centanario is the 3rd-4th largest metropolis of Mexico (by area).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Paz_(municipality)

Populations?

Your link is to La Paz BOLIVIA.

La Paz MEXICO, doesn't even make it in the top 60.

[Edited on 9-3-2009 by JESSE]

Jesse, it's a figure by *area* not dollars or people which is often quoted.

Anyway, I am interested in population estimates of those affected?

Jesse do you think people in the hillsides of La Paz suffered from the water or low lands?

Bajahowodd - 9-3-2009 at 05:14 PM

I really didn't want to start a Wiki-war.. and Taco, much of that movement on the Wundermap is projection; not experience. But it is not unusual for such weird things to happen. Especially, since this storm is now subject to the vagaries of the upper level wind shear.

reneske - 9-3-2009 at 05:17 PM

MulegeMichael

I have heard that all our houses in the Oassis have water over the roofs. I don't know about you, but we will just clean up and keep going. The good out weighs the bad. I love Mulege and will not give up. I have not talked to Marv and Cathy since yesterday. If you hear from them or anyone else, please let me know. We were planning to go down in November, but might go sooner. I feel for the people having to deal with flooding once again. But remember, they are a great group of neighbors.

Irene, Marv's Sister :bounce:

Ricardo - 9-3-2009 at 05:25 PM

Anybody out there heard how Puerto Chale fared, They are really close to where Landfall was determined on the Bahia Magdalena. South of San Carlos.

reneske - 9-3-2009 at 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
roz and i are also in for a chunk of cash, toneart...we will head down as SOON as the roads are passable but it looks like it may be awhile.

Mike, Good to hear from you. Nels and I were not going until November, but with all of this, it might be sooner. Let us know when you plan to travel to Mulege and please keep in touch. My email is reneske1@gmail.com

Irene, Marv's sister

Keri - 9-3-2009 at 05:42 PM

Hey what happened to pages 37 to 44. I was reading them before dinner and when I came back they were on page36.:?::?::?: Must have been because of that chupacabra post.k:rolleyes:

Mulegena - 9-3-2009 at 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EngineerMike

Disaster relief for Mulege:

In-kind donations- can be distributed by the Bomberos or by the Padre at the Mission. Some individuals may also distribute on a case by case basis. Bomberos are organized. Love the Padre but the Church is not set up as an outreach affair, so they set up tables or piles at the Mission and people (any people) come and take. Best bet is the Bomberos, that's where ours went after John.

Appreciate the Bombero Station was damaged. Perhaps the Rotary Health Clinic would be a viable collection/distribution center for hard-good donations. I believe Mick Chapman of Cortez Explorers would offer to store things in the back of the dive center as well.

THIS EMAIL CAME TO ME TODAY:

David K - 9-3-2009 at 05:47 PM

I just got home from work and this email looks like it should be posted in this thread... (sorry to hear of the size of the disaster).

>>>This message is for David K or any other nomad who might want to join my husband traveling down to Mulege to assist Bob and Susan Frambes with clean up, donations etc.

I really don’t know where to begin, we own property close to Bob and Susan and have been in contact with them concerning the devastation.

My Husband (Greg Davidson) and Son will be heading out ASAP in a 4x4 truck equipped for rugged off roading. We can arrange to meet in San Diego or any other location with other travelers or people sending donations.

I may be reached at the number below, or my cell (909) 586-4022.<<<

bajalou - 9-3-2009 at 05:49 PM

Keri - the number of pages is dependent on how many entries you have selected for each page in your account set up. I'm only on page 18.

Cypress - 9-3-2009 at 05:49 PM

Good God Almighty! :lol:

DENNIS - 9-3-2009 at 05:52 PM

Where's Shari.........

Top 5 most viewed topics:
Jimena (69730)

[Edited on 9-4-2009 by DENNIS]

David K - 9-3-2009 at 05:55 PM

I posted this on the main hurricane thread as well... an email that was in my unknown box today:

This message is for David K or any other nomad who might want to join my husband traveling down to Mulege to assist Bob and Susan Frambes with clean up, donations etc.

I really don’t know where to begin, we own property close to Bob and Susan and have been in contact with them concerning the devastation. My Husband (Greg Davidson) and Son will be heading out ASAP in a 4x4 truck equipped for rugged off roading. We can arrange to meet in San Diego or any other location with other travelers or people sending donations.

I may be reached at the number below, or my cell (909) 586-4022.

DianaT - 9-3-2009 at 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Where's Shari.........

We have been trying to e-mail and phone friends in Bahia Asuncion and cannot get through. We guess the electricity and the cell tower are not working.

Last we heard from there was 9 am this morning and all was well, but we do not know what is happening now. Hope to hear soon.

From what we can see, it looks like BA did not get the main hurricane, but it looks like a good possibility of rain---

Diane

EngineerMike - 9-3-2009 at 06:03 PM

its a day or two early to worry about the drop off point(s). Need to know access is possible first, and how things are shaping up.

The fire station is an open carport. Even w/out a roof, the Bomberos can work from there once they shovel out. This is where they staged donations for H.John & Julio.

Stuff that comes by air will get picked up at the airstrip, but even for that to be fully available is likely to be a coupla days while the airstrip is rehabilitated sufficient for landings. Helicopters can land, so that may be all that gets in for the next 48 hours.

DENNIS - 9-3-2009 at 06:03 PM

Thanks, Diane

grmpb - 9-3-2009 at 06:21 PM

internet and phone service just came back on in asuncion after being down for most of the day

CasaChristie - 9-3-2009 at 06:26 PM

Just received the following emails from a neighbor, Jerry & Joyce McCord at Posada Concepcion on the hill. Looks like we all have sustained damage. It seemed appropriate for this thread.

Well, it hit us hard. Will try and update as best I can. Eileen, you lost the two big plate glass windows that face our house, half of your roof including the plywood, the roof to the casita, some solar panels. Juan Carlos is here and got power back on.
Fred, you lost your palapa roof and probably some of the tile.
Deaf Dick lost windows and a door that we can see; Rick & Luanne had a wall next to our street collapse. Houses at the top of the hill are missing roofing and whatever?
Joyce & I lost part of garage roof, the garage door, 3 solar panels (gone, who knows where?). We did manage to avoid mud in the house with the new wall, but an awful lot of water blew/leaked in.
Gigi lost part of her roof, and the solar system looks all messed up on the roof.
Highway is a mess!
Mulege must have had extensive flooding. We got driven from the little house about 8:00 last night by rising water. It got to about 3' deep at Serenidad. We slept in the car until about 2:00 when the water had gone down enough to get out to the highway. Spend the rest of the night here on the bay. We're now stuck with two flat tires (1 ruined) and am going to bum a ride to town to see if I can get in the casita and P/U the Tracker. The bed had floated over in front of the door so will have to break a window and crawl in. When last seen, the refer was on it's back, ditto with the freezer. Power of course is out.
Lucina and Jose Manuel said their house washed away; they're moving back here.
At least the storm is over. Still overcast and slight occasional drizzle.
CJ, think that maybe you only got a little water in the trailer. The rooms of course were flooded. Gary & Tracy, don't know how your place is. Will check when I get back to town. Know that Nona had to have lots of water inside her house. Water was too deep last night and it was too dark to do much more than get to high ground and hope.

A few minutes ago received this one.

Just returned to the bay after trip to town. Can only say that the damage is worse than John was in 2006. Water at the Serenidad got to 3' (my poor piano), road in is virtually impassable, the streets of Mulege are clogged with mud. Most stores closed, including Sauls, the PEMEX, Pinguino, Alba's, Camarena, and the hardware stores. Many structures severly damaged - expecially in Jorge's Park, Orchard, and Oasis. Could see from the hiway several of the 'casitas' in the Orchard are destroyed; all others must by badly damaged. Can't get to the North side of the river, but looking across, am sure there is substantial damage there too. On a bright note, the water store in the town center was open. All the structures near the river in the park by Sauls are destroyed as is the water/ice store at Jorge's. No electricity yet, but CFE trucks are on the scene and working. Many, many downed trees throughout the area.
To all the "hill" dwellers: will try and get up for a quick look-see tomorrow. However, from what we can see from our house, think most all probably have some roof damage and broken windows. That of course will mean water damage. If anyone has an email for Dick Olsen (Deaf Dick), his sailboat has tipped over and the mast is hanging over the hiway. Imagine the first truck through will wipe it out. We have no way to right it or I would.
Please look at those this is being sent to and if any of you have email or contact with others who need to know, please forward. Our 'Gringo Directory' is under 4" of mud on the floor of our place at Serenidad.
On a sad note, heard that the only casualty from this storm was Rafael Cuestas' father (our water man). We are out of water here on the hill, but don't know if it was turned off or if the lines broke somewhere and the pila is empty??
This was a major storm. Don't know how much rain it dumped, but one report said that the winds were over 100 MPH - measured before the anemometer broke! I believe it. Hurricane John in 2006, and Julietta in 2008 didn't do nearly the kind of damage we are seeing. No idea what may have happened in the valley, but know that many of the 'locals' lost roofs and had other damage. Would imagine that as you all start trickling back down, any decent used clothes, utensils, linens etc. would be welcome. Even if you just give them to the people you hire to work on you houses, think they would find a 'home'.

Jerry&Joyce&Willie McCord

DianaT - 9-3-2009 at 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by grmpb
internet and phone service just came back on in asuncion after being down for most of the day

Do you have electricity? Hope to see you soon

Diane

DeschutesDiva - 9-3-2009 at 06:30 PM

Here is the latest from Patsi & Les Hodges on Coyote. She e-mailed her neighbors there earlier with details of the damage to their properties - so I will not repeat that here except to say that there was damage on Coyote - but it sounded to me to be much less than expected with radar showing the eye passing over Bahia Concepcion yesterday afternoon. We are waiting for word from Patsi or Geary on whether our grass shack survived.

"Mulege is bad. They are saying worse than John. Geary went to town and said he can't believe it but not one place between here and there has an undamaged roof. The water came to within 1 meter of the top of the bridge. He says pretty much everything on the river is ruined. He said the Serenidad took an awful hit. He also said he actually saw the high water mark at Panchos store and it was three feet above the sidewalk on the side of his store. The Mulege dam broke. Buildings are flattened and power poles are down. Also the huge new bridge on the corner just going into Santa Rosalia is gone. I don't know if that means it is totally gone or just sections but it is impassable so no traffic between here and there.

Geary lost his porch which is the bahia side of his house. He also lost the roof. He stayed in his trailer behind the house but his equipment was down and he is just now trying to get back online. He met a guy who was trying to get to Loreto and needed work so took him home and he is paying him to help rebuild.

Ana's restuarant lost it's roof.

The bar at Music Mountain and the bathroom there are gone.

The Austrians place is gone up the valley. The trailer is still there but canted to the side some. I understand they were hoping to build there so now's there chance.

Bony's bar no longer has most of its roof and the windows are broken out of it but Bertha's store is fine.

The palms on the beach have all been shed of their dead fronds. How handy is that?"

Patsi

grmpb - 9-3-2009 at 06:34 PM

electricty has been on the whole time

DianaT - 9-3-2009 at 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jdtrotter
Quote:
Originally posted by grmpb

Do you have electricity? Hope to see you soon

Diane

Really stupid question, Diane---he is using a computer and unless it is run by a hamster, the electricity is on. :P:P

Have just been anxious to get a hold of someone.

Diane

CasaChristie - 9-3-2009 at 06:38 PM

Would appreciate more information about Patsy's email of coyote as our friends have a place on that beach and have not heard anything. This is the most they know so far. Thanks

mulegemichael - 9-3-2009 at 06:49 PM

I KNOW this sounds dumb, but does anyone know if the roads have been opened southbound to mulege...we're headed out of here tomorrow or the next with "stuff" for mulege and need to know if we can even get there...any and all info is appreciated.

mulegemichael - 9-3-2009 at 06:53 PM

We sure would appreciate any/all news on the road south...we are headed out of here for mulege tomorrow or the next day with supplies but don't want to be stuck on hwy 1 for a week or two...any reports from nomads is appreciated.

austriaco - 9-3-2009 at 06:57 PM

here is another email of patsi, maybe it helps:

Hi All,

Have just a minute of power so will get this off to all at once. Starting at the Villa on the south end--The palapa caved in and much water in the house but from the windows not the roof.

Troegers, the tree on the beach tipped over and there are branches and sticks and junk everywhere but think mostly you escaped the worst of it as did Flyns. Your road from the highway in is washed out again but not quite as bad as last time. Lupe's house in back seems to be just fine but the roof in the front corner of her property is down and junk everywhere.

Horatio--Your place as always looks great. Adrian and Triene were there and taking care of it all.

Gary Casa de Coyle--Same as south of you, lots of limbs and garbage but mostly okay.

Bill Coffman--Stan Baily and Anita all look fine. Just junk everywhere. Taps boats are fine.

Roger-- the cover over the little boat is destroyed as is the goat shed. But for the most part the rest is just junk blown around and just needs cleaning.

Keep in mind we couldn't see in any of these houses so don't know what it looks like inside.

The new houses on Montez' beach have all lost tiles some more than others and John's next to Bobbi has lost probably a quarter of his tiles. Other than that we didn't see much damage. The path between the houses is going to need some work and Bob and Sue's shade over the bedroom is down. Bobbi lost the first row of fiberglass but the remainder of the roof is still there. It's a mess in the lean to but the bird is fine, so don't worry Bobbi. Just some elbow grease and you will be as good as new.

Ed and Wendy lost palms on the front of the roof and the front panels have blown out exposing the inside room. Joe Gluvers house took it the best of all altho we watched his panels go around like a brace and bit the entire storm and couldn't do a thing about it. They made it through just fine. I told Les we should go tie them down now and he said they survived 100mph winds he thought they would be okay until Joe gets back. Joe does have a new addition to his front yard--his Dutch Treat II is high and dry but doesn't seem to be damaged. The fifth wheel trailer on the right side of Ricky's property as you head to the highway was flipped over.

Kenny and Steven's palapa lost a lot of roof palms and all the front panels have been blown in, most broken in the process. A lot of the fence along the side from front to water heater is broken.

Noel and Blanca lost a small section of roof, their huge glass doors are gone and the solar panels flipped over but don't know if they are damaged or just moved.

We covered Paul's back door and sometime during the storm that blew off. The tallest cardon in the yard is tipped over and you will have a lot of work with the cardon fencing. At one point the bimini top on your boat was blown into the up position and the next time we looked it was in a dozen pieces.

From our house Mimi and Lupe and Steve Lotsofsky are looking good. No broken windows that we can see and the little shed on the roof at Mimi is still standing. We'll look into those places more later.

Joe Sedavic's sailboat is washed up on the beach just below his house and the only thing we see lost at his house is the gates which blew down.

Liz from the school has a sailboat on the beach about the middle of Montez's land.

We lost some roofing paper and have a huge wet soggy mess in the entire house but we are so lucky. It could have been so much worse.

Our last report is that no power in Loreto and don't expect to have it back on for a week or so. Mulege no power, water, phone. They are saying they were hit much worse than John. Water to bridge and worse wind this time which flattened many structures. Roads all washed south of us and between Loreto and La Paz. No traffic.

I'll update as I can.

Patsi and Les

BajaNuts - 9-3-2009 at 06:58 PM

quick request for posters,

thanks for everyone's very up to the minute posts. It really is great even though the news is turning very sad now.

When the storm was coming on, everyone was posting with time/date info and I found that to be really helpful in keeping track of what's going on where.

If you think about it, maybe include a simple "3:00pm/Thursday" in the "just heard from..." updates.

think of y'all-

austriaco - 9-3-2009 at 07:00 PM

Quote:
I KNOW this sounds dumb, but does anyone know if the roads have been opened southbound to mulege...we're headed out of here tomorrow or the next with "stuff" for mulege and need to know if we can even get there...any and all info is appreciated.

I know that Geary went from Burros to Mulege. So the road must be open. at least somrhow.

EngineerMike - 9-3-2009 at 07:12 PM

Heard that Saul's tienda in Mulege had 3-4 feet of water. That'd make the water level about even w/the top of the la Fortuna wall.

Vince - 9-3-2009 at 07:20 PM

To Pat and Les@ Coyote- Thank you for the report you made on the beach properties. We all just hope you can hang on for awhile on what you have in your house. Your information is very useful, I will get the word out to others who were wondering. Vince Flynn

tigerdog - 9-3-2009 at 07:30 PM

Here are some photos of the storm and damage in San Carlos. Word is Guaymas got 22 inches of rain (566.8 millimeters)!

http://picasaweb.google.com/cybercoseguridad/Jimena#

[Edited on 9-4-2009 by tigerdog]

Hook - 9-3-2009 at 07:40 PM

Well, I am back up AGAIN for a short time. Genny running for now. Latest estimates are that we have received about 30 inches in 27 hours. Still raining, occasionally hard. No cell service. Many boats swamped in the bahia. That elderly gentlemen on the seawall was rescued.

VHF radios ROCK in these conditions. We swap HF radio reports, we sway internet info for those who are without. Heard that the old marina in Santa Rosalia is completely gone.

This thing is only moving about 2mph, slightly to the west again. I dont understand analyses that say the center is about midway between SR and San Carlos, Son. MOST ALL THE MOISTURE, ACCCORDING TO RADAR IS CENTERED OVER US. Predictions are that is could continue to rain all night. 4am would make 36 straight hours. AND NEVER WAS IT JUST SPITTING. I think it never dropped below a 1/2 inch an hour.

Our power probably wont return for days. I will check in when I can. We have been trailer bound and cut off by arroyos into a box of maybe a 1/4 mile, even with 4wd.

But my thoughts are across the Sea in Mulege..................

Mulege Photos

Mexrick - 9-3-2009 at 07:45 PM

Photos of some of the damage to Mulege are posted on my website: www.mulege-mls.com

The town got trashed. We are without power, water, telephone and Internet service except for and emergency setup such as I have.

:no::no::no::no::no:

DENNIS - 9-3-2009 at 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
my thoughts are across the Sea in Mulege..................

And all of our thoughts include you, Hook. Hang in there. It won't be over soon enough but, soon.

lizard lips - 9-3-2009 at 07:56 PM

Rick, i can only get one photo. Are there more?

mulegemichael - 9-3-2009 at 07:57 PM

gimme some pics, rick...i can't get on your site

PabloS - 9-3-2009 at 08:00 PM

Muy malo!:wow::O

jannyk - 9-3-2009 at 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lizard lips
Rick, i can only get one photo. Are there more?

Did you wait? For me at least, it was a slide-show and auto loads the next photo (around 20 or so)

mulegemichael - 9-3-2009 at 08:02 PM

i went there and got nothing over several minutes...damn!

DianaT - 9-3-2009 at 08:04 PM

What a mess!

Wonder why some are not seeing the slideshow? I had to past the address and then clicked on the on the Jimena Photos and the slideshow started??

Thanks for the pix
Diane

Pescador - 9-3-2009 at 08:05 PM

Pretty good update from the paper. this may answer some of gnukid's questions and I know he speaks spanish

http://www.oem.com.mx/elsudcaliforniano/huracanes.aspx

shari - 9-3-2009 at 08:05 PM

hi everyone...just back...internet went down this morning and just came back on awhile ago while we were in san roque fishing...got alot of reading to do now...sheesh.

does anyone know how san ignacio did...in particular...Ignacio Springs? Terri is in canada and called me to get info and I have none...thanks

jannyk - 9-3-2009 at 08:07 PM

Y'all are clicking on the red words 'Jiimena Photos' - right?

I just went there again and it's working fine for me.

mulegemichael - 9-3-2009 at 08:07 PM

not good, my friends, not good at all...we don't expect to find our casa standing...but...we have another home up here...and i think of all those fab folks down there that lost EVERYTHING and i realize just how lucky we are...we are so lucky to have the lives we have....we're gonna scrape our way down in the next day or so...probably will haul a trailer with "stuff"...gimme suggestions although this is the 3rd one in 4 yrs so i'm kinda getting it down...chit!!!.....sorry...that's not like me.

Bob H - 9-3-2009 at 08:09 PM

Wow, the water got up that high into town. I can't imagine what happend to the places along the river (Orchard?)... Thanks for posting this. Bob H

Mulege Photos

Estrella - 9-3-2009 at 08:12 PM

Many thanks-a picture is worth a thousand words-sounds trite-but thank you again.

Pescador - 9-3-2009 at 08:15 PM

Here is a good picture gallery of Puerto San Carlos. When you bring the picture up click on the little triangles to see the next picture.

http://www.oem.com.mx/elsudcaliforniano/notas/g41639.htm

55steve - 9-3-2009 at 08:17 PM

Send me a U2U if any of you folks heading south need a place to stay in San Diego before crossing the border - I have my RV at the side of the house available.

Marie-Rose - 9-3-2009 at 08:17 PM

Thanks Mexrick

My heart goes out to everyone who has to deal with the horrible results of Jimena.
It is difficult to imagine the horror of it... the one pic with beds strewn about really brought home how devastating this is. :(:( I know that there are many who are
feeling tired about all the preparations they have gone thru for a "non-event" but
those pictures sure should make us incredibly grateful for having it pass by and now we
need to do what we can to help those who were not as fortunate.

woody with a view - 9-3-2009 at 08:18 PM

Quote:
not good, my friends, not good at all...we don't expect to find our casa standing...but...we have another home up here...and i think of all those fab folks down there that lost EVERYTHING and i realize just how lucky we are...we are so lucky to have the lives we have....we're gonna scrape our way down in the next day or so...probably will haul a trailer with "stuff"...gimme suggestions although this is the 3rd one in 4 yrs so i'm kinda getting it down...poop!!!.....sorry...that's not like me.

a question i asked on another thread.... how are the new border guards gonna look at truck loads full of donations???

mulegemichael - 9-3-2009 at 08:20 PM

gosh jeff...i went to your photobucket site and all i see is a series of photos one of which the mission in mulege...nothing about jimena...what am i doing wrong?...i know...why are people like me still alive on the planet...tha nks, jeff

toneart - 9-3-2009 at 08:20 PM

We have not heard anything from San Ignacio. The hurricane hovered over them for a long time too. I sure hope everyone there are OK.

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
hi everyone...just back...internet went down this morning and just came back on awhile ago while we were in san roque fishing...got alot of reading to do now...sheesh.

does anyone know how san ignacio did...in particular...Ignacio Springs? Terri is in canada and called me to get info and I have none...thanks

Bajagypsy - 9-3-2009 at 08:25 PM

Mexrick, those pictures are heartbreaking, The gypsy family sends out their love and support to the town of Mulege. It looks like the water went up very high this time, did the school get hit?

DianaT - 9-3-2009 at 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Here is a good picture gallery of Puerto San Carlos. When you bring the picture up click on the little triangles to see the next picture.

http://www.oem.com.mx/elsudcaliforniano/notas/g41639.htm

Moving photos---thanks

jimboats - 9-3-2009 at 08:37 PM

wow what a mess! guess we were lucky at our place at the villas on the mouth of the bay. only min. roof damage

Lauriboats - 9-3-2009 at 08:39 PM

Quote:

http://www.mulege-mls.com/Jimena.html
Try this.

Just received a report on our place in Mulege, we do have some roof damage, but made it through this one. Wish I could say the same for others.

shari - 9-3-2009 at 08:58 PM

here in Asuncion nobody is taking the wood off their windows because of the rumours that Jimena might come back this way....sure doesnt look like it...got my tent back up to sleep in the cool tonight...we'll see what happens tomorrow but seems improbably and will just be a big blow if it does...maybe some rain which we sure could use.

bajajurel - 9-3-2009 at 09:08 PM

Hi Shari

So how did Bahia Asuncion and La Bocana fair? Any word from down south there?

Jerry

KAT54 - 9-3-2009 at 09:17 PM

Mulege Pictures

shari - 9-3-2009 at 09:28 PM

in Asuncion, we only had about an hour of wind about 40 knots...white out of blowing sand...then it calmed down and we went swimming and fishing off the rocks....so weird. I dont think La Bocana or Abreojos got any rain either as far as I know...some wind but even our crappy palapa hung in there...only lost a few palm fronds...whew....we got lucky this time...again.

[Edited on 9-4-2009 by shari]

Bob H - 9-3-2009 at 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Well, I am back up AGAIN for a short time. Genny running for now. Latest estimates are that we have received about 30 inches in 27 hours. Still raining, occasionally hard. No cell service. Many boats swamped in the bahia. That elderly gentlemen on the seawall was rescued.

VHF radios ROCK in these conditions. We swap HF radio reports, we sway internet info for those who are without. Heard that the old marina in Santa Rosalia is completely gone.

This thing is only moving about 2mph, slightly to the west again. I dont understand analyses that say the center is about midway between SR and San Carlos, Son. MOST ALL THE MOISTURE, ACCCORDING TO RADAR IS CENTERED OVER US. Predictions are that is could continue to rain all night. 4am would make 36 straight hours. AND NEVER WAS IT JUST SPITTING. I think it never dropped below a 1/2 inch an hour.

Our power probably wont return for days. I will check in when I can. We have been trailer bound and cut off by arroyos into a box of maybe a 1/4 mile, even with 4wd.

But my thoughts are across the Sea in Mulege..................

Wow, you guys have been through a LOT. You are hanging tough in there. Audrey and I are wishing you the best outcome after it's all over. And, hopefully that will be soon! You are survivors for sure. Hopefully it will end soon and you can get back to building your dreams.
Bob and Audrey H

Estrella - 9-3-2009 at 09:48 PM

Can anyone tell us how the families that live on the Light House Road-north side of river beyond town have fared? From Huerta Don Chano's-Manuel's family to Pancho's and their family and Patron's? I can not imagine the condition the road must be in once again.

mulegemichael - 9-3-2009 at 09:55 PM

reneske....not sure who you are, brother, but i'm with ya on this...yeah...we're underwater...just have to go down and muck it all out AGAIN!!!....If we have something left...but...i love it down here....and at this point i continue to roll the dice...we have not heard from marv and cathy since yesterday morning...OH!...you're Irene!....oh...ok...yeah, yeah...they'll be ok...marv is a survivor...email me irene...you have my email..please

Notice how 'fresh'...

Mexray - 9-3-2009 at 09:56 PM

...the palm trees look - most have 'lost' all their old dried fonds to the high winds - they almost look like they've just been planted...Mother Nature has strange way of rearranging her 'assets'...:no:

mulegemichael - 9-3-2009 at 09:58 PM

I got em...sorry for my ineptness...wow!...we're headed down within a day or so...keep us in your loop

BajaBruno - 9-3-2009 at 11:12 PM

Sobering photographs, Kat54. They really bring home the clean-up and reconstruction Mulege is facing in the days, weeks, and months ahead.

Bob H - 9-3-2009 at 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lauriboats
Quote:

Try this.

Just received a report on our place in Mulege, we do have some roof damage, but made it through this one. Wish I could say the same for others.

Where is your location?
Bob H

Bob H - 9-3-2009 at 11:26 PM

Does anyone know about the yellow house right on the river, Bob and T's place?? We are worried about them. It's near the Orchard.
Bob H

Santiago - 9-4-2009 at 04:45 AM

Does anyone have an idea how the fuel situation will be this weekend? We are crossing Sunday and driving to Asuncion, then later to BOLA. Does the fuel into Guerrero Negro and BOLA come from the north or from La Paz?
Thanks.

Bajaboy - 9-4-2009 at 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
Does anyone have an idea how the fuel situation will be this weekend? We are crossing Sunday and driving to Asuncion, then later to BOLA. Does the fuel into Guerrero Negro and BOLA come from the north or from La Paz?
Thanks.

I believe fuel into GN comes from Santa Rosalia...not sure about Bola.

Bob and Susan - 9-4-2009 at 07:42 AM

better carry lots of gas cans if you are traveling south

even if the station HAS gas the electricty may be out

then...no gas...

plan on no gas south of san quantin (sp)

then if you get it BUY IT

mulegemichael - 9-4-2009 at 07:46 AM

bob/susan....is there any traffic southbound on hwy 1 yet?...we'd like to start bringing stuff down for the locals as soon as we can..we still are not sure if our house is even there in mulege.

DeschutesDiva - 9-4-2009 at 07:59 AM

Link (thanks to Adi Kohrner and Mimi Alverez) to photos of Mulege posted by Pelican Reef Real Estate on the Mulege-MLS site.

BTW: Anyone else made the J-named hurricane connection? This is now the third J to wreck Mulege and environs...

shari - 9-4-2009 at 08:03 AM

santiago...might be a good idea to bring a couple extra jerry jugs and fill them in the north...el rosario as our gas here comes from south and wont be getting through...we still have gas here in town but it will run out likely...we are filling reserve jugs here although juan just went fishing and will burn a few looking for tuna offshore.
ps...can you please bring a big bag of economy cat food....we now have 6 cats....three bobcat cross kitties will be for adoption if any of you lost kitties in the storm!!

gnukid - 9-4-2009 at 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Pretty good update from the paper. this may answer some of gnukid's questions and I know he speaks spanish

http://www.oem.com.mx/elsudcaliforniano/huracanes.aspx

Here's what I gather about those affected from the articles translated:

Yesterday

"La Paz-Ciudad Constitucion, San Carlos, just over 50 thousand people around the towns without light and water." (who had it before).

"The parastatal explained that the strong wind knocked over a 1200 posts, 102 towers and damaged the circuits of distribution and transmission lines."

Today
http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/estados/72975.html

"Jimena" leaves to 75 thousand without services in BCS

"The Federal Electricity Commission (CFE) reported that 59 thousand people in Loreto, Ciudad Constitucion, Santa Rosalia, Puerto San Carlos, Mulege, Comondú Villa Insurgentes and other villages were left without light."

"In the municipalities of Comondu and Mulege at least 2 thousand homes have been severely damaged. In the town of Puerto Adolfo López Mateos some 250 are recorded damage in Mulege over 600, including 300 with total damage."

"The delegate Ivan de la Toba reported that Lopez Mateos-... are without the services of electricity or running water, and that the 500 evacuees exceeded the capacity of shelters, which is 300."

---------
http://www.oem.com.mx/elsudcaliforniano/notas/n1309603.htm

"Travel is limited to 4x4 and is difficult to pass from La Paz to Constituccion due to obstacles, mud, and road problems."

In Mulege County 6,000 people require temporary (albergadas) housing.
In Cabo region 3500
In La Paz region 1500
In Loreto region 417

Most other regions not yet reporting

---------
http://www.oem.com.mx/elsudcaliforniano/notas/n1311817.htm

"On his way through Baja California, Hurricane Jimena "devastated Magdalena Island, about 200 homes were destroyed, leaving hundreds of homeless people, who for two centuries are settled in this majestic stretch of land, about 200 families are in distress and urgent clamor for government intervention at all three levels, said Martin de la Toba Miranda."
----------
http://noticias.prodigy.msn.com/Fotogalerias/huracan_jimena....
----------
http://www.jornada.unam.mx/2009/09/04/index.php?section=esta...

In Mulege 8,000 people are in temporary shelter

Sonora declares emergency in 12 municipalities
----------

In Mulege one death was reported. Rafael Cuesta Real 69 years old pased away.

Authorities reported that a septuagenarian Mulege, identified as Rafael Cuesta, drowned in their homes. And in the fishing village of San Buto, Comondú municipality, a person remains missing.
--------

arrowhead - 9-4-2009 at 08:33 AM

More news trickling in:

The Secretary General of Mulegé, José Antonio Espinoza Tirado, did a damage review and he estimates there are 650 homes damaged in Mulegé, with about 300 a total loss.

The road from Loreto to Cabo San Lucas is passable. From Loreto to Santa Rosalia there are 9 washouts and the road is not passable. So Mulegé is currently isolated.

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/estados/72975.html

Bob and Susan - 9-4-2009 at 08:33 AM

no traffic by us on mex one

raining today AGAIN

the big bridge by the federal police station is down
no southbound traffic from there yet

wait till next week or you'll get stuck north of town

Gadget - 9-4-2009 at 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 55steve
Send me a U2U if any of you folks heading south need a place to stay in San Diego before crossing the border - I have my RV at the side of the house available.

Ditto that.
We are in Point Loma just 10 minutes off I-5. easy off and back on.
We have a guest room and bath available for anyone who wants to make a stop and bolt for the border early AM.
Please don't hesitate to U2U me for our address to mapquest.

pascuale - 9-4-2009 at 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gadget
Quote:
Originally posted by 55steve

Ditto that.
We are in Point Loma just 10 minutes off I-5. easy off and back on.
We have a guest room and bath available for anyone who wants to make a stop and bolt for the border early AM.
Please don't hesitate to U2U me for our address to mapquest.

Nice to see people helping eachother in a situation like this. I wish I could leave work and be on my way down there to help out. What can I do from here in SD?

shari - 9-4-2009 at 10:53 AM

just heard that the CFE trucks and men that went to help restore power are waiting and cant get through an arroyo to get to the affected areas...so the highway is still impassable north of sta.rosalia.

anyone who wants to come sooner than later can wait at our place till the road opens...byob

EngineerMike - 9-4-2009 at 11:12 AM

Three major needs shaping up:
1) large tarps for temporary roof covering,
2) visqueen (transparent but durable plastic sheeting) for temporary window repair,
3) Duct tape for both the above.

Above available at local home improvement centers or building supply joints near you.

I'm getting more phones ringing in Mulege although nobody answering, so the Telmex central office must be getting attention from inside; I am fairly sure none of the residences or businesses I'm calling have dial tone. I expect aerial lines are in same shape as electric- poles down, lines down, etc. Proper phone service around town will take weeks to get straight. Once the cell sites have power again (they will probably wheel in generators once roads are open) that will be the routine phone service for maybe a month. And cell service was reported for a short time after power went down, so that means some battery backup which should bridge service between brown outs which will be a regular occurrence for at least 90 days. My AT&T phone roams in Mulege fairly seamlessly when there is service, that's a good choice if you are thinking a temp phone.

[Edited on 9-4-2009 by EngineerMike]

capt. mike - 9-4-2009 at 11:12 AM

the pics do work, i didn't see them here so made a new thread. came of BBP.

Joyce and Jerry were my neighbors at Serenidad - good people.

Russ - 9-4-2009 at 11:31 AM

Latest I've heard is that both approaches to the big curving bridge South of SR are gone and the big new bridge south of that is out too. Road south of Mulége to Loreto open. Raining and windy here since around 8AM. Satillete image show storm moving South along the SOC coast but track image shows Westward direction??????
Edit: Runways at Palo Verde and Serinidad closed. Chivato was OK this AM with one obvious low wet spot. However there is no road in/out of here. Road work will start once the water levels go down and it stops frigging raining.

[Edited on 9-4-2009 by Russ]

screenshot_03.jpg - 47kB

capt. mike - 9-4-2009 at 11:31 AM

From BBP -

Just got off the telephone with Nely Fregozo in Constitution. She is in the office of the Mayors wife, who is the head of DIF for the area. They will ask the Red Cross for help. The paved Constitution airport is open. The Governor recently landed and is touring the area. Constitution was hit pretty hard. The new LEY market was destroyed, but the old Super Murillo market survived. Water and Electricity are out, but hopes are that both will be back in service by sometime tomorrow. Lots of home and building damage. There is a road passable between Mantancitas and Constitution. The Lopez Mateos - Mantancitas runway is not yet usable. Reports are that up to 90% of the structures in Lopez were damaged or destroyed. We have not been able to make contact with anyone at the Cannery yet. The La Purisima hill top strip is reported to be usable, but we have no word on town conditions. We have no word on San Carlos, but reports are that the town of Isla Magdalena no longer exists, so its a safe bet that it was hit pretty hard too.

DianaT - 9-4-2009 at 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
From BBP -
The Lopez Mateos - Mantancitas runway is not yet usable. Reports are that up to 90% of the structures in Lopez were damaged or destroyed. We have not been able to make contact with anyone at the Cannery yet.

Since the people from Magdelena Outfitters are posting about needs in Lopez Mateos on another site, perhaps they can be of use for more information.

Beachgirl - 9-4-2009 at 11:39 AM

Plastic sheeting, duct tape and tarps...what a great bit of info Mike. We are also taking a generator, extension cords, two plug-in standing a/c units, cans of gas and a hefty chainsaw for downed trees. Have to assume any of electronics have been ruined....that is, if we still have a house standing....mid Oasis.

Bajahowodd - 9-4-2009 at 11:58 AM

Mid-Oasis, Beachgirl? I've got my fingers crossed for you.

Santiago - 9-4-2009 at 12:26 PM

Just noticed that the Weather Bug gadget on Windows Desktop that I had set to Santa Rosalia is not reporting the weather. No kidding.

EngineerMike - 9-4-2009 at 12:45 PM

The silence from San Ignacio is deafening. Anybody got news there?

Bajahowodd - 9-4-2009 at 12:55 PM

I think that may be more about the lack of Nomads in the town. Mulege and Loreto are packed with Nomads. My guess. Fingers crossed.

Cypress - 9-4-2009 at 01:02 PM

Yea, San Ignacio is inland and not subject to flooding. Or is it? The area has probably lost power.

Bajahowodd - 9-4-2009 at 01:11 PM

Actually, in a heavy rain, I think the town might fill like a bath tub. Not that I wish that on them.

[Edited on 9-4-2009 by Bajahowodd]

santa Rosalia

tipper - 9-4-2009 at 01:19 PM

anyone have any news of the old marina/ heard its gone, rumor?
 Pages:  1  ..  8    10    12  ..  14