BajaNomad

San Diegan To Hike Baja Peninsula

Pages:  1  ..  8    10    12  ..  16

David K - 1-9-2011 at 09:40 PM

About 7 pm MST, the SPOT signal was sent! (Thanks Mike)

The gang walked about 6 miles today to the plaza of San Ignacio... Casa Leree is just off the plaza at the marker for Mike, Don-Kay and Solo:

This view is looking south... the paved road towards Laguna San Ignacio can be seen climbing up the hill out of town.

shari - 1-10-2011 at 07:12 AM

gracias Juanita...wait till Don Kay is rested up and fed....he's quite a "talker"!!! Mexican travellers are accustomed to barking dogs & loud ranchero music but the inhabitants of Campo Sirena were pretty surprised wth Don Kay's loud "singing"!!! He sort of whines when nobody pays attention to him...he's soooo funny.

Give Mike, Mr.Kay and Sola vino a big hug from us!!

Iflyfish - 1-10-2011 at 07:18 AM

Had the very great pleasure of meeting Mike and crew on the road yesterday. What a stand up guy. Good health and great spirits. He is doing very well and so pleased with his stay with Blanca and Shari.

We spent last night at Blanca and Les's and were treated like royalty. Great place and wonderful folks.

Iflyfish

David K - 1-10-2011 at 11:34 AM

Thanks for that Iflyfish!

bajaandy - 1-10-2011 at 03:47 PM

Haven't posted on Nomad's for quite a while, but just took the past couple of evenings to catch up and read this whole thread. (The good, the bad and the childish.) What an inspirational adventure Mike is taking! An epic in the making and no doubt an epic tale once completed. I'm looking forward to continued updates of the adventure and reading the story when all is said and done.

By the way, the thing that hooked me (other than the coolness of what you're doing Mike!) was Solo. I absolutely love my Australian Shepherd, and when I saw that first picture of Solo I felt like I was looking into the eyes of Rusty, my Ausie. Ausie's are one of the smartest, most faithful and trusting companions in the dog world. I can't think of a better choice for an adventure of this kind. And as Woody said, the best pets are the one's that choose you.

Good luck on the rest of your journey Mike. I envy your courage and conviction.

somomule - 1-10-2011 at 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaandy
Haven't posted on Nomad's for quite a while, but just took the past couple of evenings to catch up and read this whole thread. (The good, the bad and the childish.) What an inspirational adventure Mike is taking! An epic in the making and no doubt an epic tale once completed. I'm looking forward to continued updates of the adventure and reading the story when all is said and done.

By the way, the thing that hooked me (other than the coolness of what you're doing Mike!) was Solo. I absolutely love my Australian Shepherd, and when I saw that first picture of Solo I felt like I was looking into the eyes of Rusty, my Ausie. Ausie's are one of the smartest, most faithful and trusting companions in the dog world. I can't think of a better choice for an adventure of this kind. And as Woody said, the best pets are the one's that choose you.

I doubt anyone could have said it better " bajaandy" !

BajaBlanca - 1-10-2011 at 06:14 PM

Thanks so much for the compliment, Iflyfish !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We got MrsIflyfish to Santa Rosalia just fine. We are home now and hope that you are ready to catch some BIG fish and fill that cooler for her ...

I am sure you are well, Mike ... have you had any surprise visitors ???? He was hoping that Graham might pop up for a visit with 2 perros in tow ... he misses those perros of his something fierce.

I wanted to adopt Solo, that's how much I fell in love with her !!!! She is one of the most incredible dogs, bar none. Our next dog will be an Australian Shepherd. I had never seen one before - she has me "hooked". And our Rex is one very cool dog but jeeeeeeeeeeeez Solo is VERY VERY cool.

July 10, 2011

David K - 1-10-2011 at 08:40 PM

Mike and company still in San Ignacio (Casa Leree) as Mike sent a SPOT signal this afternoon a few feet east from yesterday's signal... under that big tree.

VIEW LOOKING WEST

[Edited on 1-11-2011 by David K]

David K - 1-11-2011 at 06:41 PM

Mike sent a signal out this afternoon from Casa Leree, San Ignacio (night #3)...

BajaBlanca - 1-11-2011 at 07:37 PM

grapevine has it that Mike Solo and DonKay are heading out tomorrow !! Get ready folks in Scorpion Bay !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jan. 12, 2011

David K - 1-12-2011 at 06:14 PM

Mike, Don-Kay and Solo walked 16 miles today to Rancho El Alamo...

new Mike pics

BajaBlanca - 1-12-2011 at 06:41 PM

If youtalk to him anyone, tell him to go by those ranchos there ... they are expecting him !! San Zacharias etc .... I forgot to tell him YIKES !!!!

and here are some pics of the first time we met Mike - he was on the main highway heading to Vizcaino ...

First meeting with Mike

[Edited on 1-13-2011 by BajaBlanca]

David K - 1-12-2011 at 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
If youtalk to him anyone, tell him to go by those ranchos there ... they are expecting him !! San Zacharias etc .... I forgot to tell him YIKES !!!!

and here are some pics of the first time we met Mike - he was on the main highway heading to Vizcaino ...

First meeting with Mike

[Edited on 1-13-2011 by BajaBlanca]

Totally Cool!

Juanita - 1-12-2011 at 08:04 PM

Well, Mike, Don Kay and Solo set out this morning from Casa Leree on the El Camino Real toward Laguna San Ignacio. We are a little bit let down and quiet, with no donkey under the tree. And I miss Solo, too, although I learned something about her. She was eager to come in the house and acted like she knew all about it. One afternoon I came into the kitchen and she was standing on the kitchen table looking out to see where Mike and Don Kay were. Very quickly she learned that was not standard procedure here. Mike later said she had not been in a house before, in her time with him.

I drove out later in the morning to see how they were doing and found them already almost to the first ranch, El Batequi. They really move along rapidly. The wind was strong, but at their backs. I was very glad to have seen a few moments of their great journey. Juanita

shari - 1-12-2011 at 08:55 PM

I know what you mean Juanita about things seeming awfully quiet after Mike & gang leave. Solo came into our house too and thought the garbage must have been a dog bowl and kept digging into it! She is the most loyal dog I've ever seen. Glad you extended your hospitality to them...que les vayan muy bien amigos.

David K - 1-13-2011 at 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Juanita
Well, Mike, Don Kay and Solo set out this morning from Casa Leree on the El Camino Real toward Laguna San Ignacio. We are a little bit let down and quiet, with no donkey under the tree. And I miss Solo, too, although I learned something about her. She was eager to come in the house and acted like she knew all about it. One afternoon I came into the kitchen and she was standing on the kitchen table looking out to see where Mike and Don Kay were. Very quickly she learned that was not standard procedure here. Mike later said she had not been in a house before, in her time with him.

I drove out later in the morning to see how they were doing and found them already almost to the first ranch, El Batequi. They really move along rapidly. The wind was strong, but at their backs. I was very glad to have seen a few moments of their great journey. Juanita

Great news...

Juanita, how far does the pavement go from town?

bajaking76 - 1-13-2011 at 12:32 PM

When I first read about Mike and his burro I wanted to follow the story....I have been searching for updates since it was on the UT..thank you all involved for keeping the rest of us updated.

David K - 1-13-2011 at 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaking76
When I first read about Mike and his burro I wanted to follow the story....I have been searching for updates since it was on the UT..thank you all involved for keeping the rest of us updated.

Glad you found us here...

Doug (BajaNomad) made an invite to Mike's trip posts at the bottom of each Nomad page... see it if you scroll way down.

BajaBlanca - 1-13-2011 at 05:13 PM

Juanita ! Share some pictures ..... and thanks for the update !!

Jan. 13, 2011: Where is he going?

David K - 1-13-2011 at 06:40 PM

Looks like his planned route via the ranchos in the foothills has been changed to go do some whale petting on the lagoon?

Mike passed the El Patrocino road ('a' on maps) as well as another shortcut route south ('b' on maps) in favor with heading to Laguna San Ignacio.

Today Mike, Don-Kay, and Solo walked an estimated 13 miles making a total miles walked so far in January, 100.

David K - 1-14-2011 at 11:54 AM

Juanita, BajaBlanca... do you know if he has a water plan for this salt flat route it seems he is taking?

He is going to have some long stretches between fresh water sources if he stays along the beach route.

BajaBlanca - 1-14-2011 at 11:57 AM

Mike told me that he was headed to the laguna de san ignacio and from there to San Juanico (Scorpion Bay).

Is this a change from his original plans?

where will he have lack of water trouble ??

[Edited on 1-14-2011 by BajaBlanca]

David K - 1-14-2011 at 12:06 PM

I was wondering why he changed, so I though maybe one of you two may know... otherwise a water drop may be needed!?

He will get water at Laguna San Ignacio. Then is is a 23 mile walk to the 'Deslinization Plant' on the AAA map. El Datil is a half day walk south.. then nothing for about 32 miles to Ejido Cadeje. La Ballena (del Raymundo) is abandoned someone said.

BajaBlanca - 1-14-2011 at 12:09 PM

I sure hope that Mike reads what you just wrote - he is definitely going to need mucha agua ..... 32 miles is too very far ...

David K - 1-14-2011 at 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
There are 3 basic routes south from San Ignacio:
Beach/ salt flats,
Graded Road (Cuarenta),
and the foothills (El Patrocinio- San Jose de Garcia)

In the foothills there are more ranches, more water sources... but is is higher up, however, a more direct route.

Mike indicated taking a route inland from the salt flats - as there would likely be more accessibility to fresh water, food for Don-Kay, and that he'd placed some of his pre-trip "stash" along this path.

This is where I heard he would stay in the hills along the ranches... for more fresh water sources.

BajaBlanca - 1-14-2011 at 03:54 PM

Maybe Juanita has more details on this ....

Jan. 14, 2011

David K - 1-14-2011 at 06:11 PM

Mike, Don-Kay and Solo walked 6 miles today and are on the shore of Laguna San Ignacio at the first camp the road comes to...

Brian L - 1-14-2011 at 08:12 PM

I wonder if Don Kay will talk with the whales? Can you imagine that sound at night?

David K - 1-14-2011 at 11:12 PM

:lol::lol::lol:

Jan. 15, 2011

David K - 1-15-2011 at 08:15 PM

Where is Mike going???

We shall see!

Tonight he is 7 miles southeast of the lagoon camp of last night.

He is not along a road, sort of between roads heading towards the big mesa. Where he intends to go tomorrow we will have to see.

On the map for today, I am not sure of his route... If he walked a straight line, then he walked about 7 miles with Don-Kay and Solo. If Mike stayed on the road, then headed into the bush to camp, maybe more miles... That is sort of what I high-lighted on the map.

David K - 1-16-2011 at 10:51 AM

It will be real intersting to see what path he takes today!

skipowell - 1-16-2011 at 11:27 AM

I bet a Pacifico that he is going to follow the arroyo and head to
El Patrocinio

Just curious now that I made my bet with no knowledge, Is El Patrocinio one of the ranches??

DENNIS - 1-16-2011 at 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by skipowell
Just curious now that I made my bet with no knowledge, Is El Patrocinio one of the ranches??

It's a beer bar with frosty Pacificos. Of course he'll go there.

David K - 1-16-2011 at 02:32 PM

That adds two days + walking to go back/ uphill to El Patrocinio (it is a small village or collection of ranches)... But his odd swerve east from the southbound road is indicative of that...? We shall see from his SPOT signal this afternoon!

When he gets to San Juanico we may hear the story of why he went down to the lagoon instaed of going straight south via El Patrocinio??!!

Jan. 16, 2011

David K - 1-16-2011 at 04:50 PM

Mystery Solved!

Mike, Don-Kay and Solo walked southward 10 miles today and set up camp about 4 miles from El Cuarenta:

View is looking east:

Normal view with north at top:

[Edited on 1-16-2011 by David K]

shari - 1-16-2011 at 06:35 PM

a quick update as we just arrived in Mulege after a grueling 3 day journey that started hooking up with Mike at the first camp in the lagoon. Don Kay ate something that didnt agree with him and had colic and so Mike couldnt make much mileage. So the lagoon folks gave him some corn and water and we brought "supplies" for Mike.

We wanted to see what MIke was in for if he took the coastal route and it was REAL bleak and we realized that he would need a supply drop for sure so we have made plans to radio some amigos in the lagoon if his spot goes off needing help...we think it was a sound decision to take the new route...the lagoonites gave him suggestions.

I will do a full trip report as this little adventure was truly spectacular...by the way DO NOT take that crappy road from the lagoon to SAn Juanico...it SUCKS!!!

AFter a night in san juanico, we visited the rancherias along the way to La Purisima, San Isidro, Carambuche and some others....then on to Comondu and now in Mulege for a sleep and return to Asuncion manana...whew!!

woody with a view - 1-16-2011 at 07:05 PM

Quote:

by the way DO NOT take that crappy road from the lagoon to SAn Juanico...it SUCKS!!!

hundreds, if not thousands of surfers couldn't have said it better....

somomule - 1-16-2011 at 07:23 PM

Re; Don Kay ate something that didnt agree with him and had colic.

If he does have colic it is important for mike to walk him to and not let him lay down too much or he may twist a gut. If Don Kay is given too much water when he arrives somewhere that has water and drinks too much too fast that is not good for his feet and he could founder. White Burros with those multi colored hoofs are not as strong/dense as black hoofs.

The bottom line....too much of a good thing is not good.

shari - 1-16-2011 at 08:13 PM

MIke is aware of the importance of keeping Don Kay walking...he went down 3 times but he was able to get him up again thank goodness. He was looking kinda skinny and weak...not much to graze on on the walk to the lagoon...but I think the colic may have passed...but he wanted him to rest a night anyway to make sure...he sure loved that corn!

somomule - 1-16-2011 at 08:31 PM

Not so sure the corn was a good idea with colic.

shari - 1-16-2011 at 08:51 PM

unfortunately it was all they had to offer...hmmm...Mike said Don Kay ate alot of alfalfa in San Ignacio but didnt fatten up any...can burros get worms???

somomule - 1-16-2011 at 08:59 PM

Yes all equines can get a whole series of different worms. Regular worming every three months by varying the wormer used depending on the specific time of year is best.

Alfalfa is not a natural feed for Horses,Burros Mules or Equines in General. Alfalfa has too rich a protein level for most equines. When fed properly it can be ok however grass of varied species is their native feed. Too much Alfalfa can colic an equine and make their feet go bad/founder.

With the way Don Kay is working I cannot emphasize enough that proper feeding and proper watering is paramount to his health.

shari - 1-16-2011 at 09:04 PM

hmmm....maybe someone in san juanico can get some worm medecine for Don Kay...he looked nice and strong in Asuncion and now his hind quarters look kinda skinny with the bones kind of protruding. I know Mike cares more about Don Kay than anything else and will do what needs to be done to have him healthy...any suggestions what things don kay needs to eat? Mike does read this thread when he has internet connection but doesnt usually have time to comment much...so maybe some suggestions might be helpful...should he limit water intake when he arrives somewhere with a water source? only feed him a small amount of alfalfa? etc etc

oladulce - 1-16-2011 at 09:23 PM

It looks like they are 3-4 days away from here now. We had planned to get a couple of flakes of the stuff our friend feeds his horses and I'm not sure what it is. Probably alfalfa.

Should we not give Don Kay any alfalfa? Unfortunately we don't have access to many other choices but I don't want to cause him any harm.

somomule - 1-16-2011 at 09:30 PM

Let it be known I am not a Veternarian nor do I profess to have absolute knowledge. What I can say is I have owned many equines including the long eared variety and have experienced founder and colic amongst other problems with equines. I am also a trained farrier so with some authority I can comment on hooves.

A common mistake folks make is feeding to much too quick when an animal has not had a chance to cool down properly. Same goes for water. They should be cooled down and given limited amounts of feed at first so they do not colic or founder.

When people ride or hike with their equines and they get to stopping place it is best to tie them up, brush them down from the sweat and let them cool off. Then you can give them some water but limit it for awhile so they can adjust. Of course it is better if they can have frequent small drinks on the trip just like we need.

Corn is just plain wrong. Use it to fatten up cattle on their way to be a beef but not as an equine feed. Equine feeds such as sweet feed look like granola and have the right mix for equines. Fed in PROPER amounts at the PROPER time is best. Sweet feeds that have about 12% protein work well. If sweet feed is not available oats work okay but again the right amount at the right time.

A Donkey the size of Don Kay would normally eat no more than 10 pound of hay total a day, supplemented with 1-2 pound of sweet feed as long as he way working hard like the long hikes he has been on.

Grass hay is best. I do not like Alfalfa, it is way too rich and too hot a feed. When given to an equine that is already hot the feed goes right to their feet. The feet are the lifeline of equines.

Let me try and give a better example. In the spring the grass is very green, very rich and very high in protein. Alfalfa has an elevated protein level similar to grass at it's peak during the season no matter when it's fed. One should not let equines free graze on rich green grass during the peak season nor is it a good idea to improper quanities of Alfalfa when a equine is already hot.

Watering an equine that is hot without letting them cool down is also a bad idea. Small hydrating amount may be okay but drinking until they seem done when they are real hot is not a good idea.

Hydrate often and small amount is best. Think of those camelbaks folks wear. They are the best for people because they drink small amount often and stay hydrated.

somomule - 1-16-2011 at 09:35 PM

If alfalfa is the only choice and I do understand it is in many areas you can feed it but it is way richer than grass and higher in protein as mentioned above and should be fed slowly and not too much. It is harder for an equine to digest than grass.

If Don Kay is losing too much weight too quick that is not good either. It may be best to consider shorter hikes with a better watering and feeding routine.

Personally I think 10 miles a day is more than enough to put an equine through when water and feed may not be available until the end of the day.

oladulce - 1-16-2011 at 09:42 PM

Thank you Ken.

Let Don Kay cool down.
Small amounts of water at a time.
No gorging on alfalfa when he's hot.
No corn.

Diver - 1-16-2011 at 09:42 PM

1. Corn alone has too much starch and will cause colic. It can be added to a forage or hay diet in small quantites such as 3-4 dry ears at a time.
2. Sufficient water is needed but not huge amounts at once. Yes, he should limit Don Kay's water intake when he first arrives at a water source. Give him a gallon each half hour at most when he has been running dry. He should also limit the amount of hay/alfalfa during this time (a few hours) but he should eat something, until Don Kay is sated and then give him what he'll eat. It's also good to walk him around a bit between feedings for this first few hours if he's really been low on food or water before arriving.
3. He needs quantites of forage - hay is better as there is more forage compared to the calorie content. Alfalfa is good as it has more protien than most hay but it should be supplemented with at least 50% hay or grazed forage unless he is trying to add weight fast. If he's not used to lot's of alfalfa, it can cause colic as well.
4. He should be feeding fairly regular quantities or forage or hay, alfalfa and grain or corn (1-2 cups of oats are good too) twice a day with water each few hours depending on the temperature, load and terrain. He can also feed smaller amounts at daytime stops and later at night with all the traveling he's doing. His diet should not be changed too much. Such as do not feed all alfalfa with no grazing if that's what he's used to. Also not too much fruit or veggies or "junk food" at a time.
5. If he was in a paddock with horses, he could have picked up worms. Ivermectin or other worming med and a day's rest should do the trick. Plus any time needed to get him back up to weight if he's lost some. Careful to check the amount of worm medicine as most doses are made for 700-1,000 lb horses.
6. Keep an eye on his "stool". If the texture or smell changes a lot, it means something. If his diet and health is consistent, so should be his stools. Each animal's digestive tollerance is different; Mike should be getting a good "feel" for Don Kay by now and will probably do fine assuming he can get the supplies he needs on a regular basis.

We don't have burrows but we've had horses for years.
Take care of them and they'll take care of you.

Edit to add; Ken posted while I was typing.
His info is all good.

[Edited on 1-17-2011 by Diver]

somomule - 1-16-2011 at 09:53 PM

I think I essentially said what Diver said but Diver said it more with more specifics and I concur with most if it. However, I do not like corn as a feed for an equine. everyone has an opinion. We have equines including a Mule and Donkey and raise cattle. Not changing my mind on the feeding of straight corn.

As far as wormers go I think it is allot of hooey regarding the dosage. I give the whole tube and have for years for any equine over 600 pounds and have never had a problem. Ivermectin is okay but not for every worming cycle. They will build up a tolerance and Ivermectin every time worming is due is not a good idea. A rotation of wormers is best.

David K - 1-16-2011 at 10:56 PM

Great advice...

shari - 1-17-2011 at 07:38 AM

excellent info...thanks everyone and I'm sure MIke will get a chance to read it next week. By the distances covered the last couple days, looks like DonKay recovered and didnt get more colic..whew...ola dulce...maybe stock up on some oats and there is a great feed here called cantador that has all that stuff and sweet stuff in it too found at feed stores if anyone plans to meet up with Mike soon...some of that would be great.

somomule - 1-17-2011 at 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
excellent info...thanks everyone and I'm sure MIke will get a chance to read it next week. By the distances covered the last couple days, looks like DonKay recovered and didnt get more colic..whew...ola dulce...maybe stock up on some oats and there is a great feed here called cantador that has all that stuff and sweet stuff in it too found at feed stores if anyone plans to meet up with Mike soon...some of that would be great.

A Pound no more than twice a day would be enough in my opinion. I use a 1 lb coffee can to measure. The morning before a trip I would give the Don a pound of 12% sweet feed or Oats. That will boost his energy level and he be fired up to go. After he gets to a destination, let him cool down, brush him, water him slowly and with some brevity. Once he has cooled down you can feed him another pound or when the sun goes down to warm him up but again no more than a pound. Also feed him a good quality Grass Hay 5-7 pounds each feeding. If you must feed alfalfa I would limit it to no more than 4-5 pounds each feeding. If possible feed a couple of pounds of alfalfa wait a couple of hours and feed the rest of the portion.

I would also get a tube of wormer, just make sure it is horse wormer. Do not use Pour on Wormers that folks use on cattle. Also no ear tags that have pesticide on them even as a necklace.

Hope this helps.
Ken

Santiago - 1-17-2011 at 08:13 AM

I thought hay was hay; now I find that there are different kinds of hay and it's important to feed them the right kind in the right amounts at the right time of day. How the heck are the wild burros getting along on just the thorny stuff? It must be because they are not 'working'?
I am astounded at the effort that must go into the care and feeding of a pack animal. Not too dissimilar from getting married......

[Edited on 1-17-2011 by Santiago]

somomule - 1-17-2011 at 08:16 AM

Here is a list of some wormers and the time of year to use them for best results.

Of course if you can only get one kind it is better to worm than not worm at all. Then get him on a rotation so he doesn't build up a tolerance to just one wormer.

Jan/Feb-1 tube Pyrantel Pamoate
Mar/Apr-1 tube Oxibendazole or Fenbendazole
May/June-1 tube 1.87% Ivermectin
July/Aug-1 tube Pyrantel Pamoate
Sept/Oct-1 tube Oxibendazole or Fenbendazole
Nov/Dec-1 tube Praziquantel Combination

Ken

[Edited on 1-17-2011 by somomule]

somomule - 1-17-2011 at 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
I thought hay was hay; now I find that there are different kinds of hay and it's important to feed them the right kind in the right amounts at the right time of day. How the heck are the wild burros getting along on just the thorny stuff? It must be because they are not 'working'?
I am astounded at the effort that must go into the care and feeding of a pack animal. Not too dissimilar from getting married......

[Edited on 1-17-2011 by Santiago]

Yes not all hay is created equal. There are many species of grass and clovers as well. We put up 46,800.00 pounds a year out of our hay field or 23 tons. In our part of the country our hay field boasts Fescue, Orchard and Timothy Grass with a mixture of red & yellow clover. Other parts of the country may have Brome and other grasses. I worked for the U.S. Dept of Interior for over 2o years and we had specialist's who's main job was to manage grass for public grazing and prevent over grazing, a full time job to say the least.

Wild Horses and Burros operate differently. They eat to survive and have developed tolerances to many feeds to survive based on their geographical location. A big problem is people try to equate what a wild Horse or Burro can do with what they think their domesticated equine should be able to do.

For example people will say equine's don't need shoes because wild ones don't wear them. Not true, wild ones are moving most of the day going from feeding area to feeding area and will naturally trim their own feed on the hard surfaces and rocks. A domesticated equine usually lives in a cushy environment maybe in a paddock with wood shavings or a sandy corral. They don't have the same opportunity to keep there hooves trimed.

If we went to a country where people went barefoot most of the time they would run circles around us with our baby soft feet.

Anyway thoughts to ponder.

oladulce - 1-17-2011 at 09:00 AM

Ken,

please check your u2u. (the message link in the box on the top right of the page)

somomule - 1-17-2011 at 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oladulce
Ken,

please check your u2u. (the message link in the box on the top right of the page)

I just replied!
Ken

TMW - 1-17-2011 at 09:26 AM

I for one appreciate all the info presented. I've learned something, thanks.

Diver - 1-17-2011 at 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by somomule
Here is a list of some wormers and the time of year to use them for best results.

Of course if you can only get one kind it is better to worm than not worm at all. Then get him on a rotation so he doesn't build up a tolerance to just one wormer.

Ken

Now THAT'S a list !
We normally only use 2 different wormers but I'll check out your info.
Thank you !

somomule - 1-17-2011 at 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Quote:
Originally posted by somomule

Ken

Now THAT'S a list !
We normally only use 2 different wormers but I'll check out your info.
Thank you !

I hope it helps. We noticed that our equines getting worms despite using Invectrin/Zimectrin every 3 months. Our local vet suggested the rotation and it has helped to avoid them getting a tolerence to one brand. I can't claim credit for the list, believe me I am not that smart. It is published on sites like Valley Vet.

I buy a complete year rotation from them per animal and stick them in the fridge. They keep fine for the year until you need the next one.

Brian L - 1-17-2011 at 11:39 AM

I think we need a separate equine-care thread. Seriously.

David K - 1-17-2011 at 11:46 AM

One thing for sure, by the time they get to Cabo we all will have graduated from Burro 101 Class!

amirravon - 1-17-2011 at 02:54 PM

Interesting info. My grand grand mother came to Israel on a back of a burro from the golf of Aden (1300 mile) 90 years ago and I don’t remember her saying something about any problems with the burro ... Good luck Mike , Don Kay, and solo.
I'm enjoying reading this epic adventure .

Jan. 17, 2011

David K - 1-17-2011 at 05:24 PM

Mike, Don-Kay and Solo walked at least another 10 miles today and they are camping about 6 miles south of El Cuarenta.

That puts them approx. 35 miles from San Juanico... at this pace about 4 days away... maybe 3 if the wind is at their backs!

redmesa - 1-17-2011 at 06:42 PM

I have had a donkey-pony in Canada and two burros in Baja. The "alfalfa" in Baja is nothing like the alfalfa in Canada or Texas. I would be surprised if it was comparable. Burros like nothing better than the dry sticks and small brush in the desert. It is probably really difficult for Mike to handle Don-Kay's diet.

Skipjack Joe - 1-17-2011 at 07:42 PM

Holy cow!

Next thing you know they'll be giving Don Kay enemas.

The DonKay relay

oladulce - 1-18-2011 at 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Holy cow!

I imagined Mike passing the torch or a baton when he arrives. There weren't any hoses in my vision.

somomule - 1-18-2011 at 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Holy cow!

Skipjack Joe,

You are exactly right. An enema of sorts is exactly what will have to be done to save Don Kay if he suffers severe colic. Colic can kill an equine quick. I have had several that suffered from Sand Colic when we lived in Wyoming. The vet will insert a hose down their nostril to their stomach and pump mineral oil into them to help them through the colic.

I suppose I could have said nothing when I saw the posts of the issues Don Kay was having but I assumed his health and safety was more important and their would be genuine concern for his safety.

I am fine with just reading the posts and if health and safety input is not desired I can keep my comments to myself . It would be sad for Don Kay if an issue was not addressed when it could be.

[Edited on 1-18-2011 by somomule]

[Edited on 1-18-2011 by somomule]

shari - 1-18-2011 at 08:52 AM

I think Mike will appreciate all Ken's information. He's gonna love it at Cadeje! lots of water and animals, horses, ranchers etc.

Here are some photos of his San Ignacio lagoon stop...maybe Ken can tell from them how don kay looks...

Here is Mike enjoying a cool TKT (hope Capt.Mike notices Juan's -shirt!!)

don kay munching corn...can really tell his hip bones are showing

mike is always a big hit with the kids

sorry about this Dong Kay photo but it kinda shows his ...ummm...condition. He WAS glad to see me!!!jajajaja

goldhuntress - 1-18-2011 at 09:04 AM

Quote:
I suppose I could have said nothing when I saw the posts of the issues Don Kay was having but I assumed his health and safety was more important and their would be genuine concern for his safety.

I am fine with just reading the posts and if health and safety input is not desired I can keep my comments to myself . It would be sad for Don Kay if an issue was not addressed when it could be.

If someone can do or say something that can help, especially in a potentially life threatening situation, IMO it's always the right thing to do. I've enjoyed reading all your posts and learned a lot too. I had an experience with a horse "choking" and the vet did the hose down the nose thing and it worked! Saved his life!I'm sure when Don Kay sees you he will thank you for your help.;D

shari - 1-18-2011 at 09:07 AM

we used to just pour mineral oil or even vegetable oil in a pinch down our horses throat and walk him...but i have heard of ranchers using some pretty knarly techniques to alleviate colic....any usefull info is appreciated.

It will be pretty hard for Mike to get proper food for DK in many places and he may just have to pack some more...more weight though.

Santiago - 1-18-2011 at 09:24 AM

Ken: I have apprecieated your posts as I have learned a lot and gives the daily reports a little more punch. Keep them coming, please.
We reserve the right to have a bid of fun, however.

Mike's arrival in San Ignacio

Juanita - 1-18-2011 at 09:52 AM

Mike in front of mission IMG_1484.jpg - 48kB

Unloading in the garden of Casa Leree with the help of the local boys.

Juanita - 1-18-2011 at 09:55 AM

Mike unloading.jpg - 43kB

And heading out to the road again two days later.

Juanita - 1-18-2011 at 09:59 AM

Mike departure.jpg - 42kB

David K - 1-18-2011 at 10:03 AM

Keep them coming Juanita... thanks!

astrobaja - 1-18-2011 at 11:25 AM

Somomule: you have been giving some excellent advise, thanks for that! Did'nt think I was going to post here again.... but...
We cannot find mixed grass hay here to save our life! Its ALL super rich alfalfa! Back at our Equestrian centre in Ontario we did our own hay and it was a wonderful mix of grasses! Has anyone here in Baja seen roughage cubes? We also fed our horses soaked beet pulp mixed with horse sweet feed but not sure if its available here either. Has Don Kay ever been wormed before period? We used ivermectin and also rotated wormers.
He sure looks pretty skinney, could Mike be convinced to give him a month or 2 off and then continue his trek? Be nice if a vet gave him a once over too!

Skipjack Joe - 1-18-2011 at 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari

There you go.

You see ?

All he needs is a girlfriend.

shari - 1-18-2011 at 12:23 PM

astro...I believe Mike has some of those cubes you mentioned. I thought DK looked real good when he was here and looked noticeably thinner in San Ignacio which made me wonder about worms too...Mike asked me if burros got worms so maybe he wasnt wormed before.

Mike may consider resting a bit but he does have a budget issue which is pressing on him as he has to pay his rent in the states while travelling and this is a problem with him not generating any income to pay his bills. Too bad. Mike sure could use a publicist to somehow generate some income so he may continue on his mission without having to worry about money.

I can see him being able to recuperate lost income in the future by doing some speaking engagements, book sales or something like that...too bad a philanthropist (sp?) wouldnt kick in some funds or somone would invest in his adventure...a sponsor of sorts.

I believe in Mike...he is a very unique individual and has alot of style and flair and great ideas and imagination plus unbounding energy and a booming voice...all excellent tributes for a speaker....isnt there a fairy godmother out there who might wave a magic wand and make hisfinancial woes disappear?

tripledigitken - 1-18-2011 at 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by astrobaja
..........He sure looks pretty skinney, could Mike be convinced to give him a month or 2 off and then continue his trek? Be nice if a vet gave him a
once over too!

He could take a break and resume the journey at a later date like Graham did on one of his treks/books. Don-Kay may just be sending a signal he needs a break.

Ken

rts551 - 1-18-2011 at 01:50 PM

Mike has a job that allows him to take off a certain amount of time. When I talked to him in GN he did not want to take the Pacific coast route because he was already behind schedule (and we al know what happened) . I will let him tell you later what his real job is but at a certain point in time he will have to report back for work. No big layoffs.

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Quote:
..........He sure looks pretty skinney, could Mike be convinced to give him a month or 2 off and then continue his trek? Be nice if a vet gave him a
once over too!

He could take a break and resume the journey at a later date like Graham did on one of his treks/books. Don-Kay may just be sending a signal he needs a break.

Ken

DENNIS - 1-18-2011 at 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Mike has a job that allows him to take off a certain amount of time.

I thought he was retired???

rts551 - 1-18-2011 at 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Mike has a job that allows him to take off a certain amount of time.

I thought he was retired???

Maybe its his retirement job. But he told me he needs to be back in the spring for what sounds like a neat job.

BajaNomad - 1-18-2011 at 03:38 PM

His "time" situation was the main topic of the video I posted earlier. I shot the video at Asuncion on Dec 27. His original itinerary was to cut back across the peninsula to Loreto, but had decided in the sake of the burro - and time - that he was staying on the Pacific side for the remainder of the trip all the way to Cabo.

Here's the video again:

BajaBlanca - 1-18-2011 at 04:09 PM

when Mike was here in La Bocana, he was unsure whether he would hightail it back to the States to work to pay mortgage or do something else ... he is retired ... but still works for extra cash, as I understood it.

Shari ! So wonderful that you went out to meet him again - and sorry to hear that Don Kay isn't looking so sprite - she was fat and happy when she left here. Dr Romero had her on a special diet and he is an expert in everything animal. He adores them. I am sure that if he weren't an MD, he'd've been a vet.

Juanita has promised some pictures .....of when he stayed in San Ignacio.

David K - 1-18-2011 at 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
when Mike was here in La Bocana, he was unsure whether he would hightail it back to the States to work to pay mortgage or do something else ... he is retired ... but still works for extra cash, as I understood it.

Shari ! So wonderful that you went out to meet him again - and sorry to hear that Don Kay isn't looking so sprite - she was fat and happy when she left here. Dr Romero had her on a special diet and he is an expert in everything animal. He adores them. I am sure that if he weren't an MD, he'd've been a vet.

Juanita has promised some pictures .....of when he stayed in San Ignacio.

I really don't want to bump those photos of Don-Kay 'feeling happy' to show you it is NOT a SHE, so trust me okay? :light::yes::lol:

Jan. 18, 2011

David K - 1-18-2011 at 06:25 PM

Mike, Don-Kay and Solo covered another 10 miles today (3 days in a row!)!!

They have set up camp in Arroyo San Juan (on the AAA map) or Arroyo El Valle as named on the Baja Almanac.

They are now just 25 miles from San Juanico... two or three days if all remains well!

Time for a new map... I have also added in the new paved highway running south from San Juanico and according to satellite images taken less than a year ago, the pavement now runs all the way to Arroyo La Purisima... but not additional roadbed or bridge construction was seen.

A dirt road goes from the new pavement over to near the Pacific then goes south to Las Barrancas where a paved road leads out.

Mike has mentioned going into La Purisima then back to the Pacific... but perhaps he can shave 2 days off by just taking the new road to Las Barrancas?

David K - 1-19-2011 at 12:28 AM

Any chance of getting worm medicine in San Juanico or nearby ranches... Maybe Cadeje?

David K - 1-19-2011 at 11:00 AM

Since Mike is paying rent regardless if he is at home or on this walk-about, it matters more if his job needs him back or if funds are running low.

He began the trek on Oct. 1, so he has been in Baja 3 full months and 19 days.

He has walked an estimated:
218 miles in October
192 miles in November
171 miles in December
143 miles as of Jan. 18.

724 miles so far! He is at least 2/3 of the distance to Cabo San Lucas

Bob H - 1-19-2011 at 11:32 AM

I went back and looked at early pictures of Don Kay... he doesn't look much different. He's always been kinda skinny. Remember, he is working out every day so he must be in pretty good shape. I don't think Mike would keep loading him up if he was not feeling right. I mean, if he was too thin and weak wouldn't he be tripping and staggering around when loaded up?

David K - 1-19-2011 at 11:37 AM

I think you are right Bob... Graham's burro would drop anytime he was not happy with the load!

BajaBlanca - 1-19-2011 at 11:57 AM

HE HE HE HE

I need to remember that DanKay is a he ....

Don Kay was in perfect health when he left here and I think Mike is so attuned to his animals at this point, that if anything seemed "off" he wd certainly deal with it !! DonKay is a beast that is used to his burden for sure .... they say animals are happiest when they have a job and HE has a good job with the greatest boss in the world

:yes::yes:

David K - 1-19-2011 at 12:01 PM

;D

Jan. 19, 2011

David K - 1-19-2011 at 05:19 PM

Mike, Don-Kay, and Solo walked about 9 miles to 'Ballena del Raymundo' (AAA map)/ 'La Ballena' (Baja Almanac)... overlooking a water filled gorge in a ranchers back yard.

They are now 15 miles from San Juanico! 1-2 days walk...

astrobaja - 1-20-2011 at 10:40 AM

Ok its great that Mike has such positive followers BUT sheer enthusiasm will not address underlying problems with Don Kay.

Mike will NOT be an expert on everything donkey after this trip he went into this with zero prior experience, he was not part of an equine police detachement!

1.) has Don Kay ever been wormed before??

If NOT, then he may have a substantial parasite load. Parasite are always in the system of equines its not a matter of getting rid of them totally its a matter of "managing" them with a rotating regimen of wormers. We have some tubes of Ivermectin and if someone is heading south we would donate a tube. But if he has never had a wormer he could colic if he has a large amount of parasites he needs to be watched carefully the day of the worming and the feces need to be checked to see if lots are coming out.

Our experience has been that animals do not lose condition (ie muscle mass) rapidly its kind of a gradual process. Its more likely that he is like an athlete in a state of overtraining and he is not repairing muscle faster than it is being lost by too much excercise. He probably needs at least a couple weeks rest!!

Mike would feel pretty crappy if it turns out that he was pushing Don Kay too hard and the animal died!!

mtgoat666 - 1-20-2011 at 11:01 AM

Quote:
Ok its great that Mike has such positive followers BUT sheer enthusiasm will not address underlying problems with Don Kay.

Mike will NOT be an expert on everything donkey after this trip he went into this with zero prior experience, he was not part of an equine police detachement!

1.) has Don Kay ever been wormed before??

If NOT, then he may have a substantial parasite load. Parasite are always in the system of equines its not a matter of getting rid of them totally its a matter of "managing" them with a rotating regimen of wormers. We have some tubes of Ivermectin and if someone is heading south we would donate a tube. But if he has never had a wormer he could colic if he has a large amount of parasites he needs to be watched carefully the day of the worming and the feces need to be checked to see if lots are coming out.

Our experience has been that animals do not lose condition (ie muscle mass) rapidly its kind of a gradual process. Its more likely that he is like an athlete in a state of overtraining and he is not repairing muscle faster than it is being lost by too much excercise. He probably needs at least a couple weeks rest!!

Mike would feel pretty crappy if it turns out that he was pushing Don Kay too hard and the animal died!!

astro:
maybe don-kay can retire to your ranch. do you want a donkey? perhaps he comes with solo the dog too.

astrobaja - 1-20-2011 at 02:43 PM

Do we want a donkey? Nope we had 35-40 horses plus cows and goats for 17 years that was enough:P 2 horses, 3 cats and a dog is plenty for us now.

Besides I think if Don Kay survives he will have no problem getting a nice ranchero to adopt him in Baja Sur!

somomule - 1-20-2011 at 02:51 PM

Quote:
Do we want a donkey? Nope we had 35-40 horses plus cows and goats for 17 years that was enough:P 2 horses, 3 cats and a dog is plenty for us now.

Besides I think if Don Kay survives he will have no problem getting a nice ranchero to adopt him in Baja Sur!

If Don Kay can get to Missouri we would consider taking him to live with our other long eared buddies! We would need to know in advance if that is an option Mike can work out.

Skipjack Joe - 1-20-2011 at 03:15 PM

Quote:

Our house, is a very, very, very fine house.
With two cats in the yard,
Life used to be so hard,
Now everything is easy 'cause of you.

oladulce - 1-20-2011 at 04:30 PM

We didn't expect to see the trio today but just took a ride in the dune buggy out towards Cadeje and there they were coming down the North road almost to town. We had told our friend Pedro about Mike and he had ridden out on his horse to meet them. They still have a couple miles to go before they get here and BigWooo has gone back out to take Mike his only request- a couple of cold beers! More to follow...
 Pages:  1  ..  8    10    12  ..  16