BajaNomad

BEV's, Hybrids and/or Independent Solar in Baja

Pages:  1  2    4  5

JDCanuck - 6-11-2024 at 08:15 PM

I was speaking of 6kW J1772 chargers (level2). Tesla destination chargers in Baja charge at 18kw maximum according to Plugshare maps and the time is reduced by 1/3 from a J1772 at maximum unshared 6kw. As I don't have a Tesla, I am not SURE but assume if you are on a shared one that too is cut to 9KW if you are sharing with a second charging Tesla. Oxxo perhaps can enlighten us on that. We spent 1 3/4 hours today at a J1772 charger and got 68km extra distance in that duration. At a 50kw charger we get that in about 15 min. Superchargers make a huge difference on long trips.

[Edited on 6-12-2024 by JDCanuck]

oxxo - 6-11-2024 at 08:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
Tesla destination chargers in Baja charge at 18kw maximum according to Plugshare maps and the time is reduced by 1/3 from a J1772 at maximum unshared 6kw.

Tesla does not have any Level 2 destination chargers in the world. They only have Tesla Level 3 Superchargers and the only one of those in Baja California is in Ensenada. Some Level 2 destination chargers in Baja may have NACS connections that will fit a Tesla, but they are not Tesla branded or maintained by Tesla.

surabi - 6-11-2024 at 09:15 PM

"Essentially, your travel consists of drive, find an available charger, eat, sleep and charge overnite."

My assumption was that you would find a place where you could charge overnight, a hotel or Airbnb that allows that. And if you can only drive 300 miles a day, what's to stop you from stopping somewhere along the way that would be pleasant or interesting, as long as it didn't require driving far off your route, running down the battery.

Here's something I wonder- why hasn't someone come up with a way to charge an EV battery while you are driving? Like a solar panel on top of the vehicle, or a small wind turbine that would spin as you drive?

JDCanuck - 6-11-2024 at 09:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
"Essentially, your travel consists of drive, find an available charger, eat, sleep and charge overnite."

My assumption was that you would find a place where you could charge overnight, a hotel or Airbnb that allows that. And if you can only drive 300 miles a day, what's to stop you from stopping somewhere along the way that would be pleasant or interesting, as long as it didn't require driving far off your route, running down the battery.

Here's something I wonder- why hasn't someone come up with a way to charge an EV battery while you are driving? Like a solar panel on top of the vehicle, or a small wind turbine that would spin as you drive?

Yes with careful planning and a lot of luck, you might find available chargers very close to where you want to spend some time while your vehicle charges. This is the case in San Felipe charger on the beach, not so much at Terrasol in Guerrero Negro as its right by the highway entering town. I don't remember any likely spots to find chargers between San Felipe and Guerrero Negro as even the advertised gas and restaurants were often not open. For now, Superchargers are the best solution, and when they become available in Baja it will be far more practical and enjoyable to drift down the peninsula at a leisurely pace enjoying the various stops and diversions you want to see.

surabi - 6-11-2024 at 10:22 PM

Well look, they have come up with a way to charge an EV while you are driving. A very expensive and impractical one. A lot more challenging than just building more charging stations.

This will never happen in Mexico. :lol: They can't even build roads that don't develop potholes within 6 months.

https://www.renaultgroup.com/en/news-on-air/news/will-electr...

[Edited on 6-12-2024 by surabi]

I have an idea!

AKgringo - 6-12-2024 at 07:23 AM

My un-paid retirement vocation is managing an over mature forest. Every year I wind up with far more firewood and logs than I can use, or even give away.

I have found that there are some small wood-fired boilers that could power a generator that could back up a battery powered mid-size truck!

By the time I get the boiler mounted and tied into a generator, there won't be much room for anything more than extra firewood and water for the boiler, and for longer runs I would probably need a chainsaw, but it would be cool!

I look forward to installing a steam whistle as well. imagine rolling around Bahia Conception and being able to send out a Woo Woo Wooooooo to the campers on the beach!

The wood smoke and steam clouds would probably keep tailgaters off your back side as well.

What could possibly go wrong with that set up?

JDCanuck - 6-12-2024 at 07:30 AM

Wow! I admire your adventurous nature, but I think this may have been done before during the WWII years

oxxo - 6-12-2024 at 08:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Burning wood is a major cause of greenhouse gases. It is banned in California, especially for personal use - wood burning fireplaces, except by permit to clear some forested areas in a controlled burn.

cupcake - 6-12-2024 at 10:46 AM

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/stellantis-ram-ramcharger-gener...

"And when the battery is fully charged and the generator's 27-gallon gas tank is full, it can go up to 690 miles."

While this setup does use gasoline, it looks like at least a good backup if a charging station is not readily found, maybe alleviating the risk of being stuck.

Tioloco - 6-12-2024 at 11:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by oxxo  

Burning wood is a major cause of greenhouse gases. It is banned in California, especially for personal use - wood burning fireplaces, except by permit to clear some forested areas in a controlled burn.

It is a natural thing for wood to burn. Forest fires are natural and healthy for the forest.

RFClark - 6-12-2024 at 11:07 AM

This pickup truck has a few good points. 145 miles on electricity is enough for most Home Depot runs. The ability to charge the battery from the motor coupled with powering a house or construction project is very nice if they also release the 2 way charger with the truck. Not stated but likely is the ability to dry camp using the truck to power the trailer or charge the truck if the trailer has lots of solar. Like at least 5KW worth of panels on the trailer.

On the downside 20mpg on gasoline is not great and 26mpg combined is not great either. That said there’s not much to compare it to.

Price is probably $70K or so as well. That’s high for a stand by power system on wheels.

surabi - 6-12-2024 at 11:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  

It is a natural thing for wood to burn. Forest fires are natural and healthy for the forest.

Forest fires caused by lightening are natural and happen infrequently, but the vast majority of forest fires are caused by humans. Natural forest fires have nothing to do with millions of people using fireplaces, wood-burning stoves, etc.

JDCanuck - 6-12-2024 at 11:26 AM

I think I personally like the idea of a BEV (like the F Lightning) pulling a gas or diesel generator on a trailer better. Better mpg, especially without the trailer attached, drop the trailer at the campsite or at home for emergencies, go exploring and return to the campsite and run the generator when the batteries get low.

oxxo - 6-12-2024 at 11:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by cupcake  

While this setup does use gasoline, it looks like at least a good backup if a charging station is not readily found, maybe alleviating the risk of being stuck.

This is referred to as "range anxiety". I drive a BEV and have never been "stuck" anywhere.

oxxo - 6-12-2024 at 11:58 AM

Of course you are right about that. But we are talking about "un-natural" burning of wood - fireplaces, out of control campfires, poor maintenance by electric utility companies, burning the forest to make room for new housing development, etc. Are you keep'n up @TioLoco?

oxxo - 6-12-2024 at 12:04 PM

I think I personally like the idea of a BEV (like the F Lightning) pulling a gas or diesel generator on a trailer better. Better mpg, especially without the trailer attached, drop the trailer at the campsite or at home for emergencies, go exploring and return to the campsite and run the generator when the batteries get low.

Again, this is referred to as "range axiety", imagined by people who have never owned a long distance (and getting even longer) BEV. The new Tesla CyberTruk has 375 mile range with options. Yes, it is expensive, but the price will come down in a year or so. And at this age of BEV infancy, the fringe case for every user's needs cannot be addressed at this time.

oxxo - 6-12-2024 at 12:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
The poor 60% of the world farms, cooks and heats by burning organics.

And they don't own ICE vehicles, air conditioners, air purifiers, electric toothbrushes, gas ranges, etc. need i go on? We need to look at ourselves individually, about how we can do better in addressing climate change rather what some poor farmer, eating 3 bowls of rice a day and riding a bicycle, should do.

Quote:
Btw everywhere in Mexico burns almost all the trash and most anything else that will burn!

True, but let's see what Ms. Environmental Presidente will do about that!

cupcake - 6-12-2024 at 12:23 PM

"And when the battery is fully charged and the generator's 27-gallon gas tank is full, it can go up to 690 miles."

Is the above EV capable of going from Tijuana to Cabo with just one en-route gasoline fill-up of the generator? Am I understanding this correctly?

surabi - 6-12-2024 at 01:24 PM

Of course you are right about that. But we are talking about "un-natural" burning of wood - fireplaces, out of control campfires, poor maintenance by electric utility companies, burning the forest to make room for new housing development, etc. Are you keep'n up @TioLoco?

Nor is the escalating frequency and intensity of forest fires due to climate change "healthy for the forest", as often vast tracts of forest are burned to the ground and will never regenerate in several lifetimes, if ever. There are places where there was once forest, that are now barren landscapes due to these kinds of fast-spreading and intense fires.

And fire doesn't spread that quickly in old growth forests, of which there are few areas left. Old fallen logs retain moisture and the natural mix of tree species means everything doesn't burn at the same rate. Fire tears through clear-cut and replanted mono- species forests differently.

JDCanuck - 6-12-2024 at 02:34 PM

Again, this is referred to as "range axiety", imagined by people who have never owned a long distance (and getting even longer) BEV. The new Tesla CyberTruk has 375 mile range with options. Yes, it is expensive, but the price will come down in a year or so. And at this age of BEV infancy, the fringe case for every user's needs cannot be addressed at this time.

But the cybertruck or F lightning cant power a campsite out at the beach and 100 miles away from a charger for weeks on end. For this a generator (or solar cells) on a camp trailer is needed. At present the most common power sources for emergency home power in storm outages or for long term camping are generators fueled by propane, gas or diesel. Solar is gaining ground but still a much larger investment than a trailer with generator.

Our RV with a 5kw generator parked in our driveway was great for emergency power outages, but could also do double duty at a remote campsite recharging an EV if needed.

[Edited on 6-12-2024 by JDCanuck]

mtgoat666 - 6-12-2024 at 02:37 PM

this looks like a good concept can use electric for short trips, and have battery-electric for long trips. Only problem with it is that website makes it look like it will be luxury pickup. I usually buy my trucks as utilitarian, and skip the leather/fancy packages (motorized tailgates are ridiculous!). hope it's not an $80K pickup - ridiculous what some of the new pickups cost now...

What could go wrong?

AKgringo - 6-12-2024 at 02:38 PM

Actually I was thinking about the hazards associated with rolling down the road in my Redneck locomotive! You know, the kind of things that could go wrong when I stuff the cargo area with a wood burning boiler putting out enough steam pressure to turn a 240v generator surrounded by firewood.

I did not think about the danger of my carbon footprint! :wow:

oxxo - 6-12-2024 at 03:42 PM

But the cybertruck or F lightning cant power a campsite out at the beach and 100 miles away from a charger for weeks on end.

No they can't at this time and perhaps maybe never. You are talking about the extreme edge case here with very few people doing this.

If you want to camp in some remote place for weeks on end, why don't you really "rough it" without a generator? Then we'll see the stuff you're made of! I don't understand why people need all the comforts of home provided by a generator when the say they are roughing it.

mtgoat666 - 6-12-2024 at 04:19 PM

But the cybertruck or F lightning cant power a campsite out at the beach and 100 miles away from a charger for weeks on end.

No they can't at this time and perhaps maybe never.

Well, our gasoline cars cant power a campsite,… so is the e-car less of a car because it cant power a campsite?

Anyhow, it’s not camping if you bring AC and TV…

AKgringo - 6-12-2024 at 05:40 PM

So you are home alone on a ridgeline and get the evacuation order because a wildfire is about to reach your house. You have two vehicles there, a fairly new conventional SUV and an EV of about the same value.

Which one are you going to throw your go-bag in? You may be living out of that car for a while, and your home charger is probably going to be gone along with some of the local main lines.

Hurry, the flames are almost there! :o

JDCanuck - 6-12-2024 at 06:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

No they can't at this time and perhaps maybe never.

Well, our gasoline cars cant power a campsite,… so is the e-car less of a car because it cant power a campsite?

Anyhow, it’s not camping if you bring AC and TV…

I don't think people who stay for weeks on the beach in a motorhome or 5th wheel agree they are "camping" in the tenting and campfire sense either. Our 5th wheel while we were on the road was powered from our truck which kept the batteries charged so we could have AC and other electrics available when we stayed someplace overnight that didn't have power for the units. We didn't have solar in those days, and in a real bind we could start the truck and recharge the 4 large depleted batteries. We lived in our motorhome for months at a time, but it had an onboard 5kw generator in addition to the alternator charging system.

surabi - 6-12-2024 at 06:30 PM

Re fires being either natural or accidental or purposeful. I think there's another category, which is actually the main cause of the majority of fires, called stupidity.
When someone leaves a campfire burning, or throws a lit cigarette out the car window, which starts a major fire, their actions were neither purposeful, like arson, nor an "accident", it's the result of human stupidity.

A lot of what humans refer to as accidents are not. If you simply lose your balance and fall off a balcony, that's an accident. If you lose your balance because you were drunk and fall off the balcony, that's stupidity- you shouldn't have been out on the balcony if you were too drunk to stand up or walk straight.

Tioloco - 6-12-2024 at 06:46 PM

Keepin up? Light years ahead of ya, amigo.

The wood used in fireplaces and wood burning stoves would have been burned in a forest fire eventually. Down and dead trees litter the forest floor in nature. Eventually, they are a great source of energy when said forest has a lightning strike and burns with no man-made interventions....
Unfortunately, we dont log and thin appropriately in lieu of naturally occurring fires so when we get a fire, it threatens man made structures and becomes an emergency.

Every action has a reaction.

AKgringo - 6-12-2024 at 06:55 PM

As those logs on the forest floor degrade, they give off methane, which is a more effective greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide.

oxxo - 6-12-2024 at 07:00 PM

Keepin up? Light years ahead of ya, amigo.

That's pretty easy to do! :yes:

Quote:
The wood used in fireplaces and wood burning stoves would have been burned in a forest fire eventually. Down and dead trees litter the forest floor in nature. Eventually, they are a great source of energy when said forest has a lightning strike and burns with no man-made interventions....
Unfortunately, we dont log and thin appropriately in lieu of naturally occurring fires so when we get a fire, it threatens man made structures and becomes an emergency.

I have to agree with you on that point. However, burning wood in a fireplace adds significantly to immediate climate change as opposed to waiting 1000 years for that forest to burn down. ;D

surabi - 6-12-2024 at 07:15 PM

It seems that you have never actually been in a natural, old growth forest which hasn't been encroached on by humans in some way.

Dead trees lying on the ground in a natural untouched forest retain a large amount of moisture. As such, along with their nutrients, they provide a growth medium for new trees, myceleum and other flora. They are usually covered in damp moss and lichen. The longer they lie there, the spongier they get. They aren't just dry logs lying there, like uncut firewood. They do not go up in flames very easily and actually help to slow down the spread of fire along the forest floor.

[Edited on 6-13-2024 by surabi]

JDCanuck - 6-14-2024 at 11:15 AM

I may have mentioned this latest city car from BYD before, only available at present in Mexico. I have not seen one on the road, but last time I was in the airport in Mexico city, there were signs all over advertising it. Price was close to the price of the Honda Fit, and it looked pretty similar, so definitely not for a lot of back road driving.
If you have availability of DC fast chargers, it charges quite quickly.
https://www.byd.com/us/news-list/BYD-DOLPHIN-MINI-Launched-i...

surabi - 6-14-2024 at 11:51 AM

I Price was close to the price of the Honda Fit, and it looked pretty similar, so definitely not for a lot of back road driving.

In Mexico, there are a lot of places aside from back road driving that those low-rider city cars have a hard time with. I see so many city cars that tourists from Guadalajara and other places drive on vacation to my touristy beach town. They slow down to almost dtopped to try to go over the speed bumps diagonally wiithout scraping bottom. Not to mention all the potholes, and many of the streets here outside the centro aren't paved.

In the rainy season, when there is a deluge and storm drains are plugged up with garbage, causing the streets to flood, those little cars are the first to be floating down the road. And if it's an EV, seems like the battery and other electric components would get soaked.

[Edited on 6-14-2024 by surabi]

oxxo - 6-14-2024 at 12:46 PM

In the rainy season, when there is a deluge and storm drains are plugged up with garbage, causing the streets to flood, those little cars are the first to be floating down the road. And if it's an EV, seems like the battery and other electric components would get soaked.

That is a common misconception. BEVs have been tested in flooded conditions and they still work and drive fine if they are not floating! AND BEVs are the last to float due their heavier weight (batteries) than ICE vehicles.

What is the safest car on the road (in crash tests) according to the NHTSB? All the Teslas led by the Tesla Model 3.

surabi - 6-14-2024 at 12:48 PM

Good to know. I said "seems like" because I wasn't sure.

mtgoat666 - 6-14-2024 at 02:16 PM

That is a common misconception. BEVs have been tested in flooded conditions and they still work and drive fine if they are not floating! AND BEVs are the last to float due their heavier weight (batteries) than ICE vehicles.

What is the safest car on the road (in crash tests) according to the NHTSB? All the Teslas led by the Tesla Model 3.

Any car that is flooded deep enough to “float” is going to have a lot of damage, doesnt matter if EV or ICE.

JDCanuck - 6-14-2024 at 02:55 PM

There are a lot of limitations on city cars like the Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris or this latest low cost tiny BEV, especially like you say over the topes so common in Mexico. Another is this particular BEV's acceleration is underwhelming. This tho is the first one that looks cheap enough to be very affordable to buy and in addition gets the advantage of far cheaper energy costs. Most BEV's til now have been focused on packing in the luxury features like heated seats and steering wheels.
Call this the VW bug of BEVs. Come to think of it, those bugs were especially popular in Mexico and Baja, so who knows?

oxxo - 6-14-2024 at 03:04 PM

Any car that is flooded deep enough to “float” is going to have a lot of damage, doesnt matter if EV or ICE.

You may be right, but that's not what the tests of the electrical components and system showed, by several different testing agencies, after flooding and that's what I thought we were talking about. Essential electrical components in a BEV are completely sealed unlike an ICE vehicle. Certainly, there will likely be sheet metal and interior trim damage to any car that floats.

JDCanuck - 6-14-2024 at 07:24 PM

Has anyone heard what is happening with the Tesla Mega Factory in Mexico? Last I heard, it was delayed when huge tariffs were threatened if they shipped North.
It now seems anyone who manufactures overseas for cost savings is threatened with the same, also in European markets.
Latest targets appear to be BMW and other European manufacturers importing from plants in China or India as well.

oxxo - 6-14-2024 at 07:46 PM

Has anyone heard what is happening with the Tesla Mega Factory in Mexico? Last I heard, it was delayed when huge tariffs were threatened if they shipped North..

Yeah, I've been following that. It appears that that the Tesla factory in Mexico is now back on the front burner as a result of the election in Mexico and as the US and Mexico and Tesla are negotiating a win/win situation for all involved. So much depends on the outcome of the election this November with Biden being in favor of a compromise and Trump being in opposition. ?Pero, quien sabe? I don't want to make this political, but everything between governments is political.

JDCanuck - 6-14-2024 at 07:55 PM

Maybe if Tesla was unionized across all their manufacturing plants?
Seems a shame as Northern Mexico already invested megabucks in manufacturing infrastructure, and the Solar systems being installed were huge too. I understand BYD the Chinese firm is also talking to Mexico about manufacturing there, so they may take advantage of the existing infrastructure

[Edited on 6-15-2024 by JDCanuck]

RFClark - 6-14-2024 at 07:58 PM

EVs and PHEV’s approved for sale in the US must meet water resistance tests for the High Voltage AC and DC portions of the system. KIA HV components are sealed air tight so water tight as well. This doesn’t mean the car will operate with the water up to the windows. It means that it won’t electrocute you. Any civilian car is toast if it’s under water to the dash. Military stuff, your results may very!

mtgoat666 - 6-14-2024 at 08:07 PM

EVs and PHEV’s approved for sale in the US must meet water resistance tests for the High Voltage AC and DC portions of the system. KIA HV components are sealed air tight so water tight as well. This doesn’t mean the car will operate with the water up to the windows. It means that it won’t electrocute you. Any civilian car is toast if it’s under water to the dash. Military stuff, your results may very!

Doubt the low voltage systems are waterproof…
Your high voltage systems will be worthless w/o tthe low voltage systems, eh?

oxxo - 6-14-2024 at 08:10 PM

Doubt the low voltage systems are waterproof…
Your high voltage systems will be worthless w/o tthe low voltage systems, eh?

You obviously know more about this than I or the experts do. I suggest you take up your premise with them.

RFClark - 6-14-2024 at 08:21 PM

goat,

Which part of “ This doesn’t mean the car will operate with the water up to the windows. It means that it won’t electrocute you. Any civilian car is Toast if it’s under water to the dash. Military stuff, your results may vary! did you miss?

JDCanuck - 6-14-2024 at 09:32 PM

This might help get more EV chargers out there:
https://www.theverge.com/2024/5/22/24162372/airbnb-chargepoi...
An airbnb host with a charger installed could enable guests to charge on Level 2 overnight...about 7-8 hours for an almost completely depleted battery. If guests stayed several days, they could go for drives for 16 hours, plug in and recharge overnight for the next days adventures. Now Chargepoint is offering huge rebates for anyone who does so through airbnb. Hybrids of course would use even less power, but the cost of gas saved each day would significantly reduce the net cost to stay at the airbnb. The total cost of the airbnb we stayed at in Guerrero Negro would have been about the cost of gas to half fill my vehicle. The airbnb would have been essentially free with the right plug in

JDCanuck - 6-14-2024 at 09:54 PM

As an example....several airbnb's in La Paz offer the rental of a vehicle on the side for a cost much lower than the rental firms. Why not offer a plug-in hybrid with free charging overnight under the same agreement? A bit more investment up front might yield high returns and much more frequent visitors. So far, Hotel One La Paz seems to do very well just supplying their three chargers.

RFClark - 6-14-2024 at 10:23 PM

JD,

We stay at the One Hotel in La Paz they have 2 Tesla and one regular Level 2 Chargers. They’re free and you can charge overnight.

JDCanuck - 6-14-2024 at 10:35 PM

Yes, I noticed they had 2 Teslas and the one level2. Most times we stayed there they were unused, but along with everything else its one more reason to stay. I assume you charge overnite and drive around la paz doing your shopping and then get 1/2 way home on electric?

surabi - 6-14-2024 at 11:09 PM

As an example....several airbnb's in La Paz offer the rental of a vehicle on the side for a cost much lower than the rental firms. Why not offer a plug-in hybrid with free charging overnight under the same agreement? A bit more investment up front might yield high returns and much more frequent visitors.

I'm not sure why guests would think an Airbnb host should offer free charging. Hosts have to cover their costs, either by figuring services, utilities and amenities into their nightly rate or by charging an additional fee.

Nothing is really free- how it is perceived by the consumer has to do with how it is marketed. For instance, I've seen guest posts saying, "Hotels don't charge a cleaning fee, why do so many Airbnbs? "

Well, of course hotels charge a cleaning fee, the hotel owner doesn't pay the cleaning staff out of his pocket. You just don't see it as a separate fee- it's part of the expenses figured in to come up with a room price, just like the "free" coffee, and the "free" soap and shampoo.

You will also see some Airbnbs that advertise "No service fees". But that doesn't mean the guest isn't covering service fees. There are 2 Airbnb service fee options available to hosts- one where the host is charged 3% and the guest around 15%, or the other, where the host's payout has all those fees deducted from it. But in that case, those additional service fees the host is charged are going to be added to the nightly room rate.
The guest just doesn't see "service fee" as an additional charge, but they are still paying it.

Most guests seem to only care about the total price, and may not care about seeing any breakdown. But just because you don't see something listed as a separate fee, doesn't mean it isn't factored in to the total price. "Free" is just marketing spin.

[Edited on 6-15-2024 by surabi]

JDCanuck - 6-15-2024 at 02:49 AM

I've never stayed at an airbnb or a hotel that charged extra for AC in very hot climates or a bathroom with basic necessities like soap and toilet paper, but I won't stay at one where they aren't included. Of course they would be an extra expense to the owner, but i assume they get far more rentals if provided at a given price than one that doesn't.
If I was traveling with an EV or PHEV, any hotel or airbnb would similarly get my business if they advertised it as Hotel One does. Why would I stay anyplace else and add to the inconvenience of my trip, even if it cost me 15 more per night (which is quite a bit more than the cost of power to obtain a full EV charge)? My Leaf costs under 8 dollars for a full recharge from 10-100 percent in power and would provide up to 220 miles with a 62kwh battery. A standard PHEV would cost in power about 1.50 to precharge, not a huge additional expense, but a big convenience and save them in gas costs about 8.00
I have found it odd that hotels like One La Paz charge less than many bed and breakfasts and include the air conditioning, coffee, water, soap, shampoo, pool, clean rooms and the breakfast that the bed and "breakfasts" don't, and also now include free EV charging. One can only guess they make their profits in much higher occupancy rates

JDCanuck - 6-15-2024 at 06:12 AM

JD,

We stay at the One Hotel in La Paz they have 2 Tesla and one regular Level 2 Chargers. They’re free and you can charge overnight.

RFClark: If we are travelling together we stay at either One La Paz or if its full, at Zar. If I travel alone, I have found a basic clean, air conditioned and recently updated one, one block from the Malecon on Bravo for 42 per nite which includes the Booking.com fee and all taxes that is seldom full and all the desk staff speak good English. Most of the other hotels have significantly boosted their prices lately without providing anything in extra services like One La Paz has. Both have good access to Pharmacies, restaurants and two Mercados within easy walking distance. My favourite restaurants fairly close by are Los Magueyes on Ignacio Allende or a tiny one near the Malecon called Casanova behind Enterprise rentals

mtgoat666 - 6-15-2024 at 06:44 AM

If a hotel provides free fuel for EVs, then they should provide free fuel for ICE vehicles.

JDCanuck - 6-15-2024 at 06:59 AM

If a hotel provides free fuel for EVs, then they should provide free fuel for ICE vehicles.

Theres a big difference between 1.50 to 8 bucks and 90 bucks, especially when it would make no difference to occupancy rates. The hotels that got on this early were able to raise their prices to cover the very minimal extra costs easily and at the same time boost occupancy levels. There are 3 chargers for 150 rooms(.15 per room at full chargers' use) and it is now fairly often full if you go in tourist season.
What most service vendors fail to realize is meeting one client's needs will bring 5-10 others with them.

AKgringo - 6-15-2024 at 07:04 AM

Hotels already have connections to the electric grid, and it is their decision whether to let customers tap into it as an incentive to stay there.

Does anyone else think that it would be a good idea to install self-serve gas or diesel pumps for their customers to use?

oxxo - 6-15-2024 at 07:11 AM

There are very few 100% BEVs traveling in Baja right now because of limited charging opportunities requiring an overnight stay out of necessity. The EVs that are traveling in Baja right now are primarily Hybrid PHEVs (plug ins) that do not necessarily need an overnight stay. Hotel/Air BnBs provide charging opportunities as a marketing tool to provide higher occupancies. As @Surabi says above, nothing is ever "free", the potential for higher electrical use by EVs of any type, while charging, is figured into their rates.

If that is truly the way you feel about it, I suggest you never stay in accommodations that provide "free" charging for EVs and continue to drive your ICE vehicle while still lamenting climate change. You will be paying theoretically more for a night's stay at one of those facilities because you don't drive an EV and use the "free" charger.

You're either part of the problem or part of the solution. Everyone has a choice.

JDCanuck - 6-15-2024 at 07:13 AM

I would think the RV campground Maranatha already has available 240v 50 amp plugins which are equivalent to level 2 chargers already. How do they handle someone plugging in an EV as opposed to the AC units for an RV??

oxxo - 6-15-2024 at 07:22 AM

I was just looking at the Tesla internet site last night, out of curiosity. Their least expensive model right now is the Model 3. I can order it with as much as 341 miles range. I figure if I wait for another couple of years, the range will be well over 400 miles with the new battery technology that is being introduced and prices will continue to fall. So, I am happy with my current BEV (paid for) which still works great but with a lower range capability which is not an issue almost anywhere in the US (it is an issue in Baja).

JDCanuck - 6-15-2024 at 07:25 AM

The newest First Nations gas stations up here are installing EV DC fast charging stations at up to 150kw and fast food outlets at the same locations. They charge twice(or more in my max 50kW charge rate) the going rate for power (significantly better profits than the 5% they make on gas sales) and you can boost even a very large F-150 Lightning EV by 50% within 1/2 hour, about the time to take a long break for a travel meal.

JDCanuck - 6-15-2024 at 07:41 AM

I was just looking at the Tesla internet site last night, out of curiosity. Their least expensive model right now is the Model 3. I can order it with as much as 341 miles range. I figure if I wait for another couple of years, the range will be well over 400 miles with the new battery technology that is being introduced and prices will continue to fall. So, I am happy with my current BEV (paid for) which still works great but with a lower range capability which is not an issue almost anywhere in the US (it is an issue in Baja).

I estimate my biggest issue will be very rapid depreciation as newer technologies make the newest models far more practical. I am okay with this, as my average ownership time has always been 10 years and my Leaf will satisfy my needs for that long. I am not a 3yr and trade it in type to keep up with the latest tech. Right now, we can charge on 120v 12 amps once per week or less and the energy cost is .04 cents per mile. (.12 per kwh which gives us 3.5 miles). Even if we do take longer trips and charge at double to quadruple rates at fast DC chargers we are still way way below gasoline costs.

Tioloco - 6-15-2024 at 07:44 AM

The newest First Nations gas stations up here are installing EV DC fast charging stations at up to 150kw and fast food outlets at the same locations. They charge twice(or more in my max 50kW charge rate) the going rate for power (significantly better profits than the 5% they make on gas sales) and you can boost even a very large F-150 Lightning EV by 50% within 1/2 hour, about the time to take a long break for a travel meal.

1/2 hour for 50% charge.... yikes

mtgoat666 - 6-15-2024 at 07:59 AM

$5/gal fuel and under 20 mpg is a bigger yikes!

Let’s say you can save $100 bucks on a fill up, an hour spent charging pays $100/hr. Not to mention the good vibes of decreased carbon footprint…

JDCanuck - 6-15-2024 at 08:11 AM

I understand the newest Tesla Superchargers will charge the Cybertruck at almost 2 1/2 times that 150kw rate. The largest Ford Lightning battery is close to 200 kwh or over 3 times my 62kwh battery, so times will drop well below that for a typical 72 kwh Tesla battery (less than 10 min) Divide 250 by 36 for typical Teslas now on the road to arrive at their time at the present. Tesla Superchargers now at 250kw and its under 10 min. Technology is improving so fast anything built 5 years ago is already obsolete by newest standards. Batteries are far more robust and can take much higher charge rates at the same time the fast chargers are increasing their power delivery rates.
Fortunately, the First Nations 150kw chargers will also charge my slower CHAdeMO DC charge at a somewhat slower rate, so I can still use the fast DC chargers when I need to. The newest DC standards are not compatible with my DC charger and I will have to search for an adapter that will allow me to use them if I continue to take longer trips over 200 miles

JDCanuck - 6-15-2024 at 08:42 AM

Here is a link to info on the newest V4 Tesla Supercharger at 350kw charging rates presently being installed in Europe for the past year. Note the article mentions 600 kw limit chargers have been seen over there as well.
https://electrek.co/2023/07/26/tesla-confirms-supercharger-v...

oxxo - 6-15-2024 at 09:12 AM

Obviously, @TioLoco is NOT keeping up with the newest technology. C'mon amigo, keep up or get lost in the dust of ignorance!

Tioloco - 6-15-2024 at 09:48 AM

Obviously, @TioLoco is NOT keeping up with the newest technology. C'mon amigo, keep up or get lost in the dust of ignorance!

Obviously you didn't read the post I commented on. And my diesel fill ups take 2 minutes.

Tioloco - 6-15-2024 at 09:50 AM

$5/gal fuel and under 20 mpg is a bigger yikes!

Let’s say you can save $100 bucks on a fill up, an hour spent charging pays $100/hr. Not to mention the good vibes of decreased carbon footprint…

Your decreased carbon footprint comment is very misleading at best.

JDCanuck - 6-15-2024 at 10:07 AM

The Tesla model 3 is getting a bit long in the tooth even with the upgrades they have made. Same with my 2019 Leaf which has not had significant upgrades til now. By even 5 years from now the advances if they continue at the same rate will surprise us.
I remain convinced by then Solid State batteries will be common, promising much faster charge times, enhanced durability and range and far lighter.
Who knows how fast the latest chargers will be by then, if 600kw is now available. In 2019 50-100 kw DC charging was deemed very fast.
Nio in China had a scheme where you pulled into a station to swap your leased battery in 3 min. This meant you never had to worry about your battery degradation or replacement costs. Tesla and Ford considered the same but backed out. Making the manufacturer responsible for recycling has long been a European point of view.
Heres the info from this year:
https://hbr.org/2024/05/how-one-chinese-ev-company-made-batt...

pacificobob - 6-15-2024 at 10:21 AM

I just went 0 to 60mph in a bit over 4 seconds in a Tesla. Even the oldest tech archaic grumpy fook would have to be impressed

JDCanuck - 6-15-2024 at 10:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
I just went 0 to 60mph in a bit over 4 seconds in a Tesla. Even the oldest tech archaic grumpy fook would have to be impressed

If I floor my leaf, the alternating slippage at the drive wheels from the traction control gets a bit hairy, so I keep the accelerator to a decent limit. I can't complain about the acceleration onto freeways with even moderate pedal action.

surabi - 6-15-2024 at 10:38 AM

I've never stayed at an airbnb or a hotel that charged extra for AC in very hot climates or a bathroom with basic necessities like soap and toilet paper, but I won't stay at one where they aren't included. Of course they would be an extra expense to the owner, but i assume they get far more rentals if provided at a given price than one that doesn't.

I think you missed my point. Of course Airbnbs and hotels don't charge extra for soap and toilet paper or utilities or Wifi, etc. Like any business, income and expenses are calculated to arrive at the cost to consumer. If expenses go up, the business owner will need to raise the price to their clients to maintain the same profit level. So just because you aren't charged separately for each expense doesn't mean it is being provided to you for free, just because it advertises "Free Wifi" or "Free EV charging". It is factored in to what you pay in total.

Yes, it is often less expensive to get a hotel room than an Airbnb or a traditional bed and breakfast. There are several reasons for that. Many Airbnbs have a full kitchen, or at least a kitchenette where you can prepare simple meals, as opposed to just a coffee maker and a microwave. It may have a private pool. The Airbnb may have a yard you can hang out in, and if a bunch of guests are travelling together, they can all hang out together in a two or three bedroom house, cook meals together, instead of just having rooms in a hotel.

Also, the individual expenses for hotels are cheaper, because they can buy in massive bulk. And they have cleaning staff that are there all day and get paid minimum wage, whereas scheduling cleaners for an Airbnb is more complicated, and most hosts try to be good to their cleaners and pay them more than they would earn as a hotel cleaner.

So if you are just stopping somewhere for the night, a hotel room may indeed be the better choice, but if you are staying somewhere for longer, you may want the extra amenities and space that many short term rentals offer.

A friend of mine in Canada created an Airbnb suite in her funky old house. It has a large living room, with a kitchenette in the corner, a bedroom and bathroom.
One of her guests arrived in a brand new Tesla. When she greeted him at the door and saw his wheels, she said jokingly, "Jeez man, why'd you book my place- there's upscale hotels in town, ya know". He laughed and said he travels a lot on business and prefers to stay in places that feel homey rather than endless generic hotel rooms.

JDCanuck - 6-15-2024 at 11:16 AM

When we first started staying in bed and breakfasts, the common benefit was the custom breakfast served by the host along with some local input of places to go, things to see, etc. This we enjoyed immensely. Now tho, its far more common to arrive and have facilities equal to or less than the hotel would provide once you actually see it in person and realize what you were shown on pictures was far better than what you actually receive, with next to no contact with anyone to get the hot water working for instance, except by text which may be a long time coming.
Now its the hotels that provide the breakfasts along with personal contact, sometimes concierge services as well.
We do on occasion still find the odd BandB where there is actually someone on site to ask about local places. Maybe 1 in 5 has this, the rest give you directions to a lockbox to let yourself in by text and that's it.
I liked it better when Bed and Breakfasts were what they called themselves, but of course that's just me

oxxo - 6-15-2024 at 11:38 AM

And my diesel fill ups take 2 minutes.

The problem is the damage you do to the environment with that 2 minute "fill up." And that 2 minutes costs you how much? $50+ ?

oxxo - 6-15-2024 at 11:41 AM

Your decreased carbon footprint comment is very misleading at best.

How is that misleading....even at worst?

surabi - 6-15-2024 at 11:45 AM

Yes, Airbnb got big and greedy and now the platform is full of investors (who only are interested in their profits) and big property management companies with thousands of listings.

There are still lots of Airbnbs that are run by individuals who give personalized attention to their guests, are a wealth of information about local events, places of interest, good places to eat and shop, and actually enjoy meeting people from all over. You just have to spend some time looking for them.

And in some places, like British Columbia, local regulations have cracked down on the "investor hosts" in areas with populations over 10,000 and only on-site-hosts whose listing is in their principal residence (either in their home where they live, or a separate dwelling on their property) are allowed to have short term rentals (there are some exceptions, like mountain resort towns whose entire economy revolves around tourism).

There are many places around the world that have these types of regs, which are becoming more common. Both to address a lack of available long term housing for locals, and because many of these impersonal rentals are a bane to neighborhoods, with so-called "hosts" who live elsewhere, a constant stream of strangers coming and going, sometimes partying and disturbing the neighbors.

But places like Cabo, and other areas whose economy is dependent on tourism are unlikely to bring in regulations like this.

[Edited on 6-15-2024 by surabi]

oxxo - 6-15-2024 at 11:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

Yes, I asked myself that question, why do I need a car that fast, when I bought the slowest model. Well, my attitude has changed when I found how easy it is to merge into traffic on the freeway or passing a car faster than you can even think about it. My slowest model will snap your head into the headrest if you need to "punch it."

To complicate things, I have one of those "self-driving" models. Despite what you read about all the problems with this new technology (and the reports are true for the most part) I LOVE the technology and use it safely every time I drive because I know what its limitations are. It has certainly improved over the years and over the air updates are at no additional cost. In my opinion, all cars in the future will be "self-driving" alternative fuel vehicles to reduce impact on the environment.

oxxo - 6-15-2024 at 12:00 PM

Yes, Airbnb got big and greedy and now the platform is full of investors (who only are interested in their profits) and big property management companies with thousands of listings.

There are still lots of Airbnbs that are run by individuals who give personalized attention to their guests, are a wealth of information about local events, places of interest, good places to eat and shop, and actually enjoy meeting people from all over. You just have to spend some time looking for them.

And in some places, like British Columbia, local regulations have cracked down on the "investor hosts" in areas with populations over 10,000 and only on-site-hosts whose listing is in their principal residence (either in their home where they live, or a separate dwelling on their property) are allowed to have short term rentals (there are some exceptions, like mountain resort towns whose entire economy revolves around tourism).

There are many places around the world that have these types of regs, which are becoming more common. Both to address a lack of available long term housing for locals, and because many of these impersonal rentals are a bane to neighborhoods, with so-called "hosts" who live elsewhere, a constant stream of strangers coming and going, sometimes partying and disturbing the neighbors.

But places like Cabo, and other areas whose economy is dependent on tourism are unlikely to bring in regulations like this.

JDCanuck - 6-15-2024 at 12:02 PM

Manufacture of batteries has to be compared to total manufacture of engines and all the additional drive train elements that go with it. Are engines and all the additional elements 95% recyclable as the batteries are? Once you strip all the drive components out, there is little difference in recycling the rest of the vehicle.
But this has all been calculated by those who are pushing the switch to EVs for environmental reasons.

oxxo - 6-15-2024 at 12:19 PM

Manufacture of batteries has to be compared to total manufacture of engines and all the additional drive train elements that go with it. Are engines and all the additional elements 95% recyclable as the batteries are? Once you strip all the drive components out, there is little difference in recycling the rest of the vehicle.
But this has all been calculated by those who are pushing the switch to EVs for environmental reasons.

My 6 y.o. car looks like new with 70K miles on it. If you take care of your vehicle, whether BEV or ICE, there is little difference in the non-drive train components. The biggest difference between the two technologies is the drive train. In terms of recycling the components, BEVs are far more environmentally friendly.

JDCanuck - 6-15-2024 at 12:28 PM

Some claim the extra weight has to cause faster brake wear. Since I seldom use the brake pedal at all, I question that one. 95% of my braking is done by battery regeneration as soon as i take my foot off the accelerator.

oxxo - 6-15-2024 at 01:03 PM

Some claim the extra weight has to cause faster brake wear. Since I seldom use the brake pedal at all, I question that one. 95% of my braking is done by battery regeneration as soon as i take my foot off the accelerator.

Actually no, the heavier weight does NOT cause extra brake wear since BEVs use regenerative braking. I have 70K miles on my original brakes. I took my car recently to a local brake shop in Cal for a complimentary check. The brake technician said, "why are you here? you have 80% left on your rotors and calipers!" I use "one pedal" (the go pedal) for driving. The electric motor slows down the car dramatically depending on much you let off on the go pedal. It takes about 2 days to get used to sensation, and then you don't want to drive anything different than that. I never touch my brakes unless an ICE neanderthal, who resents my BEV, cuts me off in traffic to prove to the world how immature he is. :no:

surabi - 6-15-2024 at 02:51 PM

When I was staying with my friend who has an EV, she offered it to me to go run some errands one day. I was a bit nervous about it, as it's only a couple years old, bright and shiny without a mark on it, and I'd never driven an EV before. She said, oh, it's easy, gave me a quick tutorial re the braking and other details, and I got the hang of it right away.

oxxo - 6-15-2024 at 06:54 PM

She said, oh, it's easy, gave me a quick tutorial re the braking and other details, and I got the hang of it right away.

Exactly, you get the hang of driving a BEV right away, because, in many ways, it is easier to drive than an ICE vehicle! You are able to enjoy your drive rather than concentrating on extraneous ICE decisions.

Bajazly - 6-16-2024 at 12:22 PM

....rather than concentrating on extraneous ICE decisions.

What does this even mean? Last time I drove my ICE truck, this morning, I got in, turned the key, put it in gear and drove. Not sure about what else I need to be thinking about to make the truck operate.

mtgoat666 - 6-16-2024 at 01:25 PM

She said, oh, it's easy, gave me a quick tutorial re the braking and other details, and I got the hang of it right away.

Exactly, you get the hang of driving a BEV right away, because, in many ways, it is easier to drive than an ICE vehicle! You are able to enjoy your drive rather than concentrating on extraneous ICE decisions.

You should buy an “easy” ICE vehicle. My ice vehicles are easier than most evs. For example, i got physical knobs and buttons for lights, heating/ac and audio.
I hate some of the newer evs and ices that bury heat/ac and audio in touch screens - knobs and buttons are better for the frequently-used controls. Why hide the frequently-used controls behind extra screen swipes? Stupid design.
I notice this most driving rental cars, hate having to quickly figure out screen controls when i am just renting a car for a day or 2.

surabi - 6-16-2024 at 02:14 PM

I've long thought that when cars switched to automatic windows, they should have also left the manual window crank. If the electronic window controls go on the blink, which they sometimes do, and has happened to me, your windows may either be stuck open or stuck shut, both of which can be inconvenient and problematic, until you can get it repaired.

oxxo - 6-16-2024 at 04:35 PM

You should buy an “easy” ICE vehicle. My ice vehicles are easier than most evs. For example, i got physical knobs and buttons for lights, heating/ac and audio.
I hate some of the newer evs and ices that bury heat/ac and audio in touch screens - knobs and buttons are better for the frequently-used controls. Why hide the frequently-used controls behind extra screen swipes? Stupid design.
I notice this most driving rental cars, hate having to quickly figure out screen controls when i am just renting a car for a day or 2.

Written by someone who is totally unfamiliar with an EV. In 1920 you would be one who chose to keep their horse and carriage and a bucket of oats and the terrible stink from your conveyance in front of you. I rented a carriage ride around town for a special occasion once a long time ago. I was surprised at how much flatulence and smell from that horse!

mtgoat666 - 6-16-2024 at 05:38 PM

Written by someone who is totally unfamiliar with an EV. In 1920 you would be one who chose to keep their horse and carriage and a bucket of oats and the terrible stink from your conveyance in front of you. I rented a carriage ride around town for a special occasion once a long time ago. I was surprised at how much flatulence and smell from that horse!

I know what i know. I know rental cars, in ‘em about monthly. The cars that are mostly touch screen are fine if you know the car, PITA if you don't know the car.

Touch screens are stupid. Makes it hard to jump between car makes and brands. Adds distraction when trying to find controls in a new-to-you car.
Maybe touch screens are ok after you own the car for a few weeks and know where all the controls are buried.

A universal layout for touch screens would be good I do like apple car play, it generally works same across car platforms.

[Edited on 6-17-2024 by mtgoat666]

oxxo - 6-16-2024 at 06:45 PM

I know what i know. I know rental cars, in ‘em about monthly. The cars that are mostly touch screen are fine if you know the car, PITA if you don't know the car.

Anything with a touch screen - phone, laptop, etc. - requires a learning curve to understand the protocols, usually a couple of days. Just because you are unfamiliar with the screen on your new phone, doesn't mean you throw your phone out.

Quote:
Touch screens are stupid. Makes it hard to jump between car makes and brands. Adds distraction when trying to find controls in a new-to-you car.
Maybe touch screens are ok after you own the car for a few weeks and know where all the controls are buried.

Unfortunately for you, automotive touch screens are the technology of the current and future. You either learn the technology or you will be stuck in the past.

Quote:
A universal layout for touch screens would be good I do like apple car play, it generally works same across car platforms.

Standardization will happen as the technology becomes standard procedure.

mtgoat666 - 6-16-2024 at 07:08 PM

Oxxy,
Mfgs are listening to customers, some are moving the frequently-used controls back to buttons, because the customers are saying they hate the touch screens
A car that has a learning curve is just a badly designed car. cars are meant to be simple start-the-car-and-drive tools. If they dont have intuitive controls, it is a bad design.

oxxo - 6-16-2024 at 07:18 PM

Here is an interesting article/test of 6 popular BEV range. The results are not as simple as you think because all 6 models have different size traction batteries. The number to look at most closely is the efficiency percentage. Very revealing!

https://insideevs.com/news/723246/bmw-mercedes-porsche-byd-r...

mtgoat666 - 6-16-2024 at 07:50 PM

Here is an interesting article/test of 6 popular BEV range. The results are not as simple as you think because all 6 models have different size traction batteries. The number to look at most closely is the efficiency percentage. Very revealing!

https://insideevs.com/news/723246/bmw-mercedes-porsche-byd-r...

My coworker rented a polestar on a work trip, she thought it looked fun, wanted to try it out.
She returned it on day 3 to get an ICE car. She tried 2 different chargers, none would work with her car. She said she would not spend time flocking around with charging, as an ice vehicle is easy to fuel up and doesnt require a flocking manual or call to service center.
Oxxy,
your evs are not ready for prime time, only work for nerds that want to spend all day on an app flocking around with their vehicle, and trying to plan how and where to fuel. Total chit show. Totally unsuitable for a rental car, since EV requires reading an instruction manual and some obscure app to find a charge point; while anyone can fuel and drive an ice car without a thought.
Evs are fringe hobby cars for nerds, not practical for easy transportation

surabi - 6-16-2024 at 08:13 PM

Are you just trying to be ridiculous, Goat? I can assure you that all the EV owners I know are not nerds who spend all day on an app and trying to plan how and where to fuel. People who use EVs on a daily basis have all that down.

oxxo - 6-16-2024 at 09:16 PM

your evs are not ready for prime time, only work for nerds that want to spend all day on an app flocking around with their vehicle, and trying to plan how and where to fuel.

Hmmmm, the Tesla Model Y is the second top selling vehicle of any type (not pickups), second only to the Toyota RAV 4, in the entire USA. Nationwide, BEV sales account for 25% market share and that percent is growing rapidly on a monthly basis.

So I guess Devil Goat that you are one of the few WOKE non-nerds who never flocks around with anything, including your flocking posts on BN all day! :biggrin: Yes, I admit that I spend too much time un-WOKE nerd who flocks around all day on BN. :bounce: I have all that time to flock because I never flock around looking for fuel for my BEV since I flocking plug it in, in my flocking garage and it automatically gets a flocking full tank of flocking electrons while I flocking sleep peacefully, dreaming about a flocking goat worried about every flocking non-existing thing in his flocking life. C'mon amigo, I'm not your enemy, I want to be your friend. Even TioTaco likes me!

[Edited on 6-17-2024 by oxxo]

Ateo - 6-16-2024 at 09:22 PM

My Model Y is plugged in and scheduled to charge at 12AM.

Life's easy............the thing just works. Only part I dislike is all the unsolicited opinions and assumptions. =)

oxxo - 6-17-2024 at 06:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
My Model Y is plugged in and scheduled to charge at 12AM.

Yep, don't you just love it? I do the same thing about once or twice a week 'cause I'm retired and don't need to commute on a daily basis.

Quote:
Life's easy............the thing just works. Only part I dislike is all the unsolicited opinions and assumptions. =)

Well @Ateo, there will always be the naysayers who don't "get it." They will only "get it" when they only have outmoded transportation available to them and then they will complain about outmoded transportation! ;D

SFandH - 6-17-2024 at 09:33 AM

Oxxy,
Mfgs are listening to customers, some are moving the frequently-used controls back to buttons, because the customers are saying they hate the touch screens

The problem with touchscreens is that you must take your eyes off the road to use them. My gas car (2018) has a combination of controls. The commonly used controls, like air conditioning, sound system volume, radio station select, and others, are good old-fashioned buttons/dials. I can make adjustments without looking.

Maybe touchscreens should be called look and touch screens.

[Edited on 6-17-2024 by SFandH]

surabi - 6-17-2024 at 11:17 AM

Whether you realize it or not, you do take your eyes off the road momentarily to use knobs and dials. And we all take our eyes off the road while driving, looking at scenery, something off the side of the road, looking at street signs, etc.

It may take a few more seconds to look at and use a touchscreen, but I suspect once you are used to it, it isn't really an issue, unless one is an easily distracted driver in the first place.

[Edited on 6-17-2024 by surabi]

surfhat - 6-17-2024 at 11:39 AM

I can't recall where at the moment, but a similar discussion about EV's claimed because of the battery weight, the tires were polluting the roadway by wearing out prematurely and leaving rubber tire parts behind on the roadways and this was reason enough to discount EV's earth friendly properties.

Really? I'm afraid so. I thought it was a ridiculous reason to never buy an EV and call them unfriendly to Mother Earth.

Thanks Nomads for a lively discussion with a minimal amount of denial bs from the usual suspects. haha

surabi - 6-17-2024 at 12:21 PM

While it's important to be aware of things one might not be aware of, as far as what pollution is created behind something that is supposedly eco-friendly, naysayers will always try to come up with some minor issue as fodder for their arguments. Like a bit of rubber on the road.
 Pages:  1  2    4  5