BajaNomad

4TH ANNUAL PREZ DAY WEEKEND NOMAD RIDE

Pages:  1  2  

BajaWarrior - 1-31-2009 at 04:16 PM

BajaCat,

ya know you did leave last year to go home on Sunday night...since we exiting the desert north of San Felipe it would give you a jump on heading home...

If we are making good time you could even join the group for dinner in town then make your departure...

Jose, it just wouldn't be the same without the BajaCat!

MATOMI_TRIP_PRESIDENTS_DAY-2008_052.JPG - 49kB

David K - 1-31-2009 at 10:01 PM

Be glad you have the work Jose... Baja will be there when you (and I) can get back south! Perhaps we can get together and do another lost mission hunt or something?

Remember, there could be another EL ROSARIO FESTIVAL this year... around July 20th... Those are fun!

Hey Chuck

BajaRob - 2-1-2009 at 07:50 AM

sorry for the delay in responding. We just returned from a 5 day cruise to Cabo out of Sandy Eggo. Many of the locals who attended last years ride will not be here this year. I will talk it up at Matt's Super Bowl party later today.

Jose

BajaRob - 2-1-2009 at 08:54 AM

Please re-consider. As Chuck says, you would be home earlier on Sunday than last year. You saved my burro as well as Steekers last year by hauling fuel for us.

N2Baja - 2-1-2009 at 12:34 PM

Hello, I am hoping to join you all for the trail ride. I'm a long time friend of Chuck's and have a place north of Coloradito. I'll be driving an F350 and I'm more than happy to carry gas, gear, coolers, etc. for anyone who needs me to.
I look forward to meeting all of you!

Melanie

BAJACAT - 2-1-2009 at 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
BajaCat,

ya know you did leave last year to go home on Sunday night...since we exiting the desert north of San Felipe it would give you a jump on heading home...

If we are making good time you could even join the group for dinner in town then make your departure...

Belive me Chuck I want to be there, the only way is for me to leave early on Saturday to be in your house around 7 am , and Sunday after the ride to come back home, it would be perfect if somebody was coming back the same Sunday so we can caravan. On the Sunday ride do you have any idea around what time we arriving at SF..

BajaWarrior - 2-1-2009 at 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
Quote:
BajaCat,

Belive me Chuck I want to be there, the only way is for me to leave early on Saturday to be in your house around 7 am , and Sunday after the ride to come back home, it would be perfect if somebody was coming back the same Sunday so we can caravan. On the Sunday ride do you have any idea around what time we arriving at SF..

Jose,

Since we all want to be out of the desert well before dark I'd say at a minimum we would hit the Rockodile sign by 5 at the latest...You could head home then, even if we were running late you could always split from the group and head to the highway. Once your out in the Valle de Diablo the roads are established as routes for the ranchers. BajaLou knows every road on that end of the desert and can literally point the way...

BajaWarrior - 2-1-2009 at 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by N2Baja
Hello, I am hoping to join you all for the trail ride. I'm a long time friend of Chuck's and have a place north of Coloradito. I'll be driving an F350 and I'm more than happy to carry gas, gear, coolers, etc. for anyone who needs me to.
I look forward to meeting all of you!

Melanie

Hola Melanie,

Hey gang, this Baja Lady can flat out do it in the dirt!

Chuck

BajaWarrior - 2-1-2009 at 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRob
sorry for the delay in responding. We just returned from a 5 day cruise to Cabo out of Sandy Eggo. Many of the locals who attended last years ride will not be here this year. I will talk it up at Matt's Super Bowl party later today.

Sounds like a great trip to Cabo... See ya in less than a couple of weeks...

Chuck

Neal Johns - 2-1-2009 at 03:04 PM

BajaWarrior,
Neal Johns and his boss, (current wife Marian) will be there!

BajaWarrior - 2-1-2009 at 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Neal Johns
BajaWarrior,
Neal Johns and his boss, (current wife Marian) will be there!

Neal and Marion, happy to have a couple of Baja pros like you along. We're completely moved in upstaris so if you need a room let me know, we have plenty of room...

Chuck

N2Baja - 2-2-2009 at 12:25 AM

Hey Chuck, thank you for the compliment! ;D

I have a question about where we'll be heading: If it includes narrow canyons, will my F350 be too big? While it does great in the rocks and sand, it has the turning radius of a school bus. Should I plan on bringing my bronco instead? I can still carry stuff for people in the bronco, just not as much.

Bob H - 2-2-2009 at 07:45 AM

Quote:

I have a question about where we'll be heading: If it includes narrow canyons, will my F350 be too big? While it does great in the rocks and sand, it has the turning radius of a school bus. Should I plan on bringing my bronco instead? I can still carry stuff for people in the bronco, just not as much.

Hey there Melanie.... when we went on this run in 2004 I took my F250 super cab, long bed, 4x4 and we made it just fine. There may be somewhere along the way where you might find a tight turn, but you can wiggle out of those usually. Plan on picking up some Baja "pin stripes" though (squeezing by cactus, etc.)
Bob H

[Edited on 2-2-2009 by Bob H]

David K - 2-2-2009 at 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Quote:

Hey there Melonie.... when we went on this run in 2004 I took my F250 super cab, long bed, 4x4 and we made it just fine. There may be somewhere along the way where you might find a tight turn, but you can wiggle out of those usually. Plan on picking up some Baja "pin stripes" though (squeezing by cactus, etc.)
Bob H

[Edited on 2-2-2009 by Bob H]

Ford, Chevy, Hummer, Jeep, Toyota... However, sounds like 2009 will not go the same places (Caņada el Parral, Arroyo Matomi) and instead cross into Valle Chico further north and visit Berrendo Canyon and maybe Agua Caliente Canyon Hot Springs (if the gate can be opened!)...

BajaWarrior - 2-2-2009 at 07:29 PM

Quote:

Hey Melanie,

your truck will do just fine, but as BobH mentioned pinstriping does occur. With your shortbed it is actually only slightly longer in length as a regular cab p/u with a long bed. You'll be more comfortable plus no dust and better drink holders...:lol:

N2Baja - 2-2-2009 at 09:03 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I'm not worried about the pin-stripes; they add character! And Chuck, you're right about the drink holders!

Pete's cousin and his wife may tag along too. They have a place across from the doctors.

I can't wait! This is going to be fun!

Neal Johns - 2-2-2009 at 09:16 PM

Chuck,
I will be in our pop-top camper, give the upstairs to someone else.
I will try to keep up with you guys. New King shocks and LightSpeed bump stops will help.
Neal

BAJACAT - 2-2-2009 at 09:39 PM

You better hide the goats, Neal is coming:bounce:

BajaWarrior - 2-2-2009 at 09:41 PM

Quote:
Chuck,
I will be in our pop-top camper, give the upstairs to someone else.
I will try to keep up with you guys. New King shocks and LightSpeed bump stops will help.
Neal

I just put Bilsteins on my '88 Toyota last month, I'm hoping that they will help...Truth be told though I need new springs...I was running a cheap shock last year and that made the ride less than comfortable

r.toyota.JPG - 40kB

BAJACAT - 2-2-2009 at 09:53 PM

Yea rub it in Chuck.

Neal Johns - 2-2-2009 at 11:02 PM

BAJACAT,
Marian made me swear off goats. Darn it!

El Camote - 2-3-2009 at 10:52 AM

Most excellent to hear Neal and Marian are joining the group! :bounce:

Out of curiosity, is anyone bringing their youngins' or know of anyone coming who is? My copilot is the ripe old age of 5 and it would be great to have someone else his age making the trip.

David K - 2-3-2009 at 11:48 AM

The night before Matomi #2 (2004) at our campfire in Nuevo Mazatlan, Mexray had a TV/ VCR and battery power that allowed us all to watch El Camote's video of Matomi #1 (2001). 18 minutes of fun film with music and interviews and Neal Johns' slides of the canyons near Diablo where he and Marion went.

Perhaps if Baja Warrior has that abilty at his place, where you all will be the night before, it would be fun to see how this thing got started? If Camote isn't going to be at Warrior's until the next morning, I could loan Warrior a copy... Let me know Chuck.

Matomi 2001 members included: El Camote, Amo Pescar, jeans, elgatoloco, Westy, BajaBoy, Neal Johns, Mexray, Mike Humfreville, L.N. (Elena la Loca), Wild Bill... and my kids & I.

BajaWarrior - 2-3-2009 at 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by El Camote
Most excellent to hear Neal and Marian are joining the group! :bounce:

Out of curiosity, is anyone bringing their youngins' or know of anyone coming who is? My copilot is the ripe old age of 5 and it would be great to have someone else his age making the trip.

We are bringing my wife's son who is 12 but regardless kids of all ages will enjoy...

bajalou - 2-3-2009 at 04:40 PM

Remember out last trip to Agua Caliente, El Camote. Probably won't get the wife as wet this year.

BajaWarrior - 2-3-2009 at 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
The night before Matomi #2 (2004) at our campfire in Nuevo Mazatlan, Mexray had a TV/ VCR and battery power that allowed us all to watch El Camote's video of Matomi #1 (2001). 18 minutes of fun film with music and interviews and Neal Johns' slides of the canyons near Diablo where he and Marion went.

Perhaps if Baja Warrior has that abilty at his place, where you all will be the night before, it would be fun to see how this thing got started? If Camote isn't going to be at Warrior's until the next morning, I could loan Warrior a copy... Let me know Chuck.

Matomi 2001 members included: El Camote, Amo Pescar, jeans, elgatoloco, Westy, BajaBoy, Neal Johns, Mexray, Mike Humfreville, L.N. (Elena la Loca), Wild Bill... and my kids & I.

We have TV/DVD/VCR/SAT in both houses, sounds like a blast! Hey David, bum a ride south because BajaRob is looking for a co-pilot..

Plus, I noticed none of your maps don't reflect Quartz Mountain on the Huatamote, I have a copy of Bruce Barbers map of the San Felipe desert down at the beach house. All of the points of interest are noted on it. I meant to bring it home this past trip...

EDIT: For DavidK answering my question in other Map forum, thanks...

[Edited on 2-4-2009 by BajaWarrior]

David K - 2-3-2009 at 06:05 PM

Here is the reply to Baja Warrior from the other thread:

Okay Chuck, as I suspected... it is in Bruce's book on page 211! The answer is no, I have not been on either Chanate or Huatamote arroyos as they were not 'roads' back in the days I did my extensive mapping 30 years ago.

Bruce calls Caņada el Parral (Azufre Wash): 'Crazy Horse' Canyon in his book because of the twists and turns in it.. Great book of information on the San Felipe area canyons and geology sites... it is just hard to follow with the way it was edited. I still recommend any San Felipe area off roader/ explorer get it for the details.

===========================================================

Chuck, check your u2u about the Matomi Movie

BajaWarrior - 2-3-2009 at 08:02 PM

David, got the U2U and replied, thankyou. Are you going to Grahams Power Point Presentation in El Cajon Wednesday? We're gonna try to make it, but should be there, please drop off the vid. as pre-arranged, by now you know we are close to I-5 and Sea World Dr. and just below Discover Baja Headquarters.

To all involved on the Trail Ride:

I'm doing a 3 day solo trip this weekend, a recon mission you might say, covert of course, well except for this broadcast.

I will be leaving on Friday and returning on Monday evening so I will be out of touch for the weekend.

El Camote - 2-3-2009 at 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
Remember out last trip to Agua Caliente, El Camote. Probably won't get the wife as wet this year.

Yeah, Lou. In fact, I took the coordinates from my etrex from that trip and put them in Google Earth today. Looks pretty dry this year. Teina should be happy. :tumble:

David K - 2-3-2009 at 10:26 PM

Quote:
David, got the U2U and replied, thankyou. Are you going to Grahams Power Point Presentation in El Cajon Wednesday? We're gonna try to make it, but should be there, please drop off the vid. as pre-arranged, by now you know we are close to I-5 and Sea World Dr. and just below Discover Baja Headquarters.

No, I have enjoyed it many times already and need to go downtown San Diego tomorrow mid-day (an appointment and an irrigation check up/estimate... back home to Oceanside before traffic time).

I will bring the Matomi Movie where you u2u'd me to... Have fun watching all of us back in 2001... El Camote did a fantastic job! Anybody needing a professional video done for your business... contact El Camote!

BajaWarrior - 2-5-2009 at 07:49 PM

Bump, because I'm leaving tomorrow for my Beach House..

Keep it alive guys, lets hear from who's going...

See ya on Monday night with a full report of how beautiful the desert and sea are...

BW

Pre-Run

BajaRob - 2-7-2009 at 08:49 AM

today. Chuck ( Baja Warrior ) will be here shortly and we will survey the route this morning. Hell of a time to be on a diet. I filled my desert cooler with bottled water instead of XXs.

Gadget - 2-8-2009 at 08:42 PM

Well folks, it looks like the weather (huh?) here in SoCal has gotten the best of our plans.
My construction site in Rancho Sante Fe is still in the grading process with 4 large retaining walls built last week to move towards completion of grading.
We were only able to get them partially water proofed before the rain hit on Friday, which means we were not able to backfill them.
A site check on Saturday morning found a huge mud bog with mud and standing water washed down along most of the incomplete retaining walls.
This all equals days lost cleaning things up that will have to be made up when we can.
I have to commit my Presidents day weekend and Monday off to the make up period, weather (huh?) permitting.
BajaLeti and I will be a no show for Matomi :(
I'll look forward to the report from you all.

[Edited on 2-9-2009 by Gadget]

Hook - 2-8-2009 at 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hot springs have that effect on women.

The route

BajaRob - 2-9-2009 at 06:54 AM

is is set and will provide something for everyone including:
some mildly challenging 4 wheeling
Quartz Mountain
hill climb
drive-by of remote narco rehab center
hike along river and possible falls at El Cajon
beautiful mountain views of Parque San Pedro Matir
Carne asada tacos and the best frijoles charros in Baja
Chuck will be back today and he will provide more details.
Almost time to let the good times roll.

the guest list

BajaRob - 2-9-2009 at 07:08 AM

needs to be updated. Will all that plan to attend please advise?

Are you in?

BajaRob - 2-9-2009 at 08:25 AM

Jose, Lou, Suzanne, John M, Comadante, Surfer Jim, XRPlang, El Comote, Motosoto, Bajasol, Cyanide41, Neal, Melanie. We need an approximate body count.

bajalou - 2-9-2009 at 08:29 AM

I'm in Rob. I don't know how many from EDR will join me. I'm still in New Mexico but plan on being in San Felipe for the run.

David K - 2-9-2009 at 08:34 AM

El Cajon Canyon is beautiful... it's all walking, but once inside the canyon along the creek, you would never guess you are in the Baja desert!

Some faint petroglyphs/ pictographs are under a big boulder you walk past as you enter the canyon and up on the cliff, north side at the entrance to the canyon. http://vivabaja.com/404

Burro Bob lives at the entrance to El Cajon Canyon (or did in 2004)... Anyone hear from him lately?

[Edited on 2-9-2009 by David K]

Great Lou

BajaRob - 2-9-2009 at 08:35 AM

Chuck and I stopped by your place Saturday on the way out of Valle Chico. I had forgotten that you were in NM. Look forward to seeing you and your troops.

Senor Kier

BajaRob - 2-9-2009 at 08:43 AM

Chuck and I only hiked about 1/4 mile upriver. Are there falls further upstream? Pools?. There was nobody at the entrance but the huge steel water tank was full.

David K - 2-9-2009 at 08:50 AM

Seņor Nickel,

Jide and I hiked about 1/2-1 mile up El Cajon to a low dam that goes across the arroyo that creates a shallow lake... I only posted the photo of the creek and water tank (full) on that 404 web page. The petros are too faint to show well... and no, we didn't hike all the way to the water falls... but Burro Bob said there were falls... He has photos he showed us when we went to his rancho after the hike... that's when we met him. If I find the original photos, I will scan and post anything that will show more of Cajon, for you guys.

It is pouring in San Diego area today, so I am indoors (with Baja on the brain!)...

Thanks David

BajaRob - 2-9-2009 at 09:00 AM

I knew that you would know how to do the squiggly over the n. Do you think that a 2 hour stop would be adequate to explore the watercourse or should we allow more time?
I know that you have to be back Monday, but any chance you two could make a week end of it? Your BSM B&b awaits.

David K - 2-9-2009 at 09:15 AM

Thanks Rob for the invite... I would love to be there, as you know... The issue is that I am out of work with this rain and economy, so can't justify the cost of having fun... and driving down early Saturday and drive back late Sunday isn't something I want to do real bad.... Now, if I had an FM-3 work visa... and some homes in the San Felipe area could benefit from automatic drip systems for their trees...???;D:yes:

BajaSol is a cool amigo... been here a couple times, has seen the El Camote Matomi Movie... and wants to go.

Seems weird Matomi #4 isn't even going to Matomi, doesn't it? It is a beautiful canyon and could be utilized at the start or end of the run... but, without it, you will have more time in the others... If you can't get into Agua Caliente... then Berrendo is well worth the mile walk to the grotto. So many blue palms in there!

2 hours is enough time for El Cajon, IMO.

David K - 2-9-2009 at 09:18 AM

Oh, to make an ņ: hold down the 'Alt' key with one finger, and press 1,6,4 on the right key pad. 165 will give you Ņ

David

BajaRob - 2-9-2009 at 09:27 AM

You're right, While Chuck and I were in Valle Chico we discussed the need for a new name for this event. We have been to Matomi many times but have no desire to go there every year. As you know, there are so many canyons to explore from the West Valley road and we will probably not live long enough to see them all. We will try.

[Edited on 2-9-2009 by BajaRob]

David K - 2-9-2009 at 10:04 AM

Well... 'PREZ DAY WEEKEND '09' may work... We initially called the first one 'PREZ DAY WEEKEND '01': Saturday was a tour of the sufur mine and Shell island. Sunday was the big Matomi canyon trip.

The second gathering of the 'Matomi Gang' was in 2004, on President's Day wekend: Saturday trip to Shell Island and Sunday trip to Matomi via Caņada el Parral pass (Azufre Wash/ Crazy Horse Canyon).

The important thing is to have fun!

PREZ DAY '01: http://vivabaja.com/shell

PREZ DAY '04: http://vivabaja.com/204

[Edited on 2-9-2009 by David K]

BajaRob - 2-9-2009 at 10:19 AM

That might work as it would eliminate the countless questions about the date and would leave the destination (s) open.

BAJACAT - 2-9-2009 at 12:57 PM

i FIX the name guys, and as David and gadget (will), this rain is getting into my finances, the drive on saturday and come back suday is an idea that my wife doesn't share with me, plus not getting Prez day off is another reason.So as today we are not going unless a miracle happends, so have fun guys and take alot pix, Im going to have to hire Chuck latter on for a private touring..

Cyanide41 - 2-9-2009 at 02:10 PM

umm... is this rain or shine?

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/tenda...

BAJACAT - 2-9-2009 at 02:15 PM

Thats a good question Cyanide41, weet weather could make the ride fun but also can make it miserable. Good observation on your part, thanks.

David K - 2-9-2009 at 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyanide41
umm... is this rain or shine?

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/tenda...

Wow, rain in SF on both days of the run (if they are right)!

Cyanide41 - 2-9-2009 at 03:26 PM

it will probably change as we get closer. 10 day forcasts are often wrong

David K - 2-9-2009 at 05:03 PM

I hope so for the gang that's going!

Four wheeling with other Nomads is fun!

Weather Underground

BajaRob - 2-10-2009 at 07:58 AM

is now forcasting that Saturday will be clear and that Sunday will be partly cloudy. There is a 20% chance of rain on Sunday night. This message has been approved by the San Felipe Chamber of Commerce.:yes:

DEVEAU - 2-10-2009 at 08:50 AM

Hi all, have not posted in a while. FYI, I am we are brining about 22 Dirt Bikers from the North Bay Motorcyle Club in Santa Rosa to San Felipe this weekend. Just a short trip to let some of the rookies taste Baja.

Friday, Tecate to Mikes's, Saturday Mike's to S.F., Sunday is a layday. Some of us are thinking of doing a Matomi loop. Monday back to Tecate. We are staying at El Cap, say hi if you see us!

BajaWarrior - 2-10-2009 at 09:37 AM

Hey gang,

got home last night.

Yes, this is a rain or shine event. This photo is me driving home yesterday West through Boulevard on I-8 and I had gotten rain heading south on this past Friday but it only lasted until Jucumba. I've had many snowy and rainy trips through the mountains but the weather has never dissapointed me in San Felipe, as it did not this past weekend.

BajaRob and I had an excellant adventure, as he wrote about in an earler post. We have devised a perfect day trip with beautiful scenery through the Huatamote and Chanate washes leading to Quartz Mountain (it looks like the Matterhorn at DisneyLand) and is about the same size. Great for a little climb before we enter the dry lake bed of Picacho del Diablo.

From there the trails become roads and very comfortable for the rest of the trip. From Quartz Mountain the views of the moutains are phenominal and seem close enough to touch. We checked out a few differant canyons but both agreed the availability of Canyon El Cajon is the best choice for the group.

The exit of the area is through Valle El Cajon and leads directly via a well graded road all the way to El Dorado property and meets Highway 5 one mile below the "Rockodile" sign which is about 10 north of San Felipe.

We checked in at "El General" tacos (sit down dining) and they are open at 3 p.m. and will be ready for us.

We (my wife Chris and her son Geoff) will be arriving at our Beach House at 5 p.m. on Friday and have actually two very fully fuctional homes on the same property with several rooms available if anyone needs a room. We have plenty of room available for your vehicle. FULL HOUSE PRIVLEDGES will be extended as some of you may remember from last year. If your coming in earlier than us on Friday then you may check in with BajaRob who is only 40 houses to the north of me on the same beach.

We are having a Potluck of sorts on Saturday night at our casa and we have 3 cart BBQ's and two full kitchens.

Guys, just bring something to grill, we can handle side dishes, I know how it is, we suck at bringing side dishes! LOL!

Join the fun, all are welcome, this will be a great trip and you'll enjoy the group as a whole.

Chuck

If you have any questions or concerns email me directly at: ccherry@san.rr.com

[Edited on 2-10-2009 by BajaWarrior]

cominghome.JPG - 13kB

XRPhlang - 2-10-2009 at 10:34 AM

Quote:
Jose, Lou, Suzanne, John M, Comadante, Surfer Jim, XRPlang, El Comote, Motosoto, Bajasol, Cyanide41, Neal, Melanie. We need an approximate body count.
I'm IN! I will be arriving sometime on Sat. Would appreciate the coordinates of the house(s) if that's possible.

El Camote - 2-10-2009 at 10:51 AM

BW, thanks for taking the lead, organizing and hosting this event. Looking forward to meeting y'all.

Do you have approx. departure times for Sat. and Sunday? And chow time for Sat.?

Not sure if we'll make the ride on Sat. but would like to make it to the grubfest ! :bounce:

BajaWarrior - 2-10-2009 at 11:15 AM

Quote:
BW, thanks for taking the lead, organizing and hosting this event. Looking forward to meeting y'all.

Do you have approx. departure times for Sat. and Sunday? And chow time for Sat.?

Not sure if we'll make the ride on Sat. but would like to make it to the grubfest ! :bounce:

Dinner on Saturday night will be right at dark, 6 p.m.ish I'd say so come before then and you'll be on time. The Sunday ride will start at 7 or 7:30 a.m. at the latest. Trip will end in town/my house by dark.

My house is 25 miles south of town, 6 miles south of Percebu. Pictured here is the turnoff on the highway. Not too many signs in our area, in fact we are the first camp south of Percebu which has a large (bill board sized) sign. Again, 6 miles south (30km marker on highway) of Percebu.

Take the turnoff to Santa Maria, IMPORTANT!! Drive to the water, (1 mile) and bear left at white picket fence, my house is the 4th house on right, two story with deck on road, green, red, trim, Casa #24, address on road. Pull in between garages and your there. Also, VHF ch. 69.

I'll dig up a pic of the back of the house from road.

I'm going to make up some plywood NOMAD signs for the highway, picket fence, and back of my house.

r.SignOnHighway.JPG - 40kB

David K - 2-10-2009 at 12:34 PM

Chuck, you are doing an awesome job of hosting the event!!!

I hope you all enjoy yourselves and if given the chance enjoy El Camote's 18 minute video/ movie of the very first Prez Day group trip in 2001...

Really would like to be there to have fun too...

David

XRPhlang

BajaRob - 2-10-2009 at 12:36 PM

Mi casa es 30.44.198 y 114.41.822.

David

BajaRob - 2-10-2009 at 12:40 PM

Chuck left the video with us and Connie & I watched it last night. It was done very well and we enjoyed it as I'm sure that the others will Saturday. Thanks for sharing.

David K - 2-10-2009 at 12:47 PM

Pretty fun stuff! El Camote did a great job with the music selection... and humorous car ads at the end!

El Camote also made a 19 min. video of the first Boojum Buddies Baja Bash (BBBB) at Cielito Lindo & Las Pintas in July, 2001. Also, a short fun 3 minute preview video of the very first Lost Mission Hunt... BajaSol has that tape, and is planning on joining you guys, last I heard. The 3 min. video includes footage of Coco, too.

BajaWarrior - 2-10-2009 at 12:54 PM

Just got a phone call from SquareCircle (Roy) and he confirmed along with two other vehicles. He's driving down on Saturday Morning and will be to our place mid-day.

N2Baja, can we expect you and your guests for dinner on Saturday night?

N2Baja - 2-10-2009 at 04:11 PM

Hey Chuck, I'm hoping to be there for the potluck Saturday. Our plan is to leave Friday after John gets out of school (around 10am). I'll give you a shout on the radio Friday evening.

Where is everyone meeting on Sunday morning? At your house?

That snow in Boulevard looked pretty cool! I'm glad you made it through safely.

I'm looking forward to meeting other Nomads and to seeing you and Chris; it's been a while!!

Neal Johns - 2-10-2009 at 05:16 PM

We are now a "maybe". will keep you informed.
Neal and Marian Johns

BajaWarrior - 2-10-2009 at 06:33 PM

Quote:
Hey Chuck, I'm hoping to be there for the potluck Saturday. Our plan is to leave Friday after John gets out of school (around 10am). I'll give you a shout on the radio Friday evening.

Where is everyone meeting on Sunday morning? At your house?

That snow in Boulevard looked pretty cool! I'm glad you made it through safely.

I'm looking forward to meeting other Nomads and to seeing you and Chris; it's been a while!!

Hi Melanie,

we're leaving SD right at noon so I figure we'll be at the Beach House at no later than 5:30 easily.

Sunday morning for meetup will be at my house and that will be at 7:00 a.m.

Looking forward to seeing you too!

Chuck

BTW, anyone needing coffee for the morning ride I'll be making it by the potfull, its what I do, Starbucks right?

[Edited on 2-11-2009 by BajaWarrior]

David K - 2-10-2009 at 06:36 PM

As I have not seen this 'Quartz Mountain', I would appreciate some photos of it... and of course all the Nomads having fun on the run!

BajaWarrior - 2-10-2009 at 06:59 PM

Quote:
As I have not seen this 'Quartz Mountain', I would appreciate some photos of it... and of course all the Nomads having fun on the run!

Oh we'll show pictures of all of us having fun allright, but the guarded sacred Quartz Mountain shall remain a mystery for all that could not attend this year...:lol:

David K - 2-10-2009 at 07:01 PM

Hey, I showed you all the 'Lost Mission'!! Not fair!!:lol:

BajaWarrior - 2-10-2009 at 09:38 PM

Quote:

For trading purposes the ratio of lost missions versus quartz mountains is 2 to 1 these days...sorry.:lol:

N2Baja - 2-11-2009 at 12:08 AM

Chuck, I've sent you a u2u

Weather Underground

BajaRob - 2-11-2009 at 07:28 AM

Now forcasting sunny skies for Saturday and Sunday. Prez Day Weekend 09 should see great weather. Come on down.

David K - 2-11-2009 at 10:45 AM

Quote:
Quote:

For trading purposes the ratio of lost missions versus quartz mountains is 2 to 1 these days...sorry.:lol:

Gee Chuck, I think you win this one... two lost missions in one year is even more than I think I can find! :lol:

BajaRob - 2-11-2009 at 02:12 PM

BUMP

El Camote - 2-11-2009 at 02:22 PM

I'm packing the warm, down sleeping bag. Overnight lows dropped 10 degrees in S.F. last night. Brrrrrrrrrrrr.

http://www.sanfelipe.com.mx/weather/index.html

Gadget - 2-11-2009 at 06:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Dinner on Saturday night will be right at dark, 6 p.m.ish I'd say so come before then and you'll be on time. The Sunday ride will start at 7 or 7:30 a.m. at the latest. Trip will end in town/my house by dark.

My house is 25 miles south of town, 6 miles south of Percebu. Pictured here is the turnoff on the highway. Not too many signs in our area, in fact we are the first camp south of Percebu which has a large (bill board sized) sign. Again, 6 miles south (30km marker on highway) of Percebu.

Take the turnoff to Santa Maria, IMPORTANT!! Drive to the water, (1 mile) and bear left at white picket fence, my house is the 4th house on right, two story with deck on road, green, red, trim, Casa #24, address on road. Pull in between garages and your there. Also, VHF ch. 69.

I'll dig up a pic of the back of the house from road.

I'm going to make up some plywood NOMAD signs for the highway, picket fence, and back of my house.

Hey Chuck,
A blind fool could find the place with all that.
I'd get lost :biggrin:

N2Baja - 2-11-2009 at 06:35 PM

May be bad news for me. My trucks been running great until this afternoon when it decided not to start. It's in the shop right now.

If I don't get my truck back in time, I'll have to drive my husbands truck which is not set up to go in the dirt (street tires, etc). I'll still swing by on Saturday to say hello and meet everyone and wish you all a good trip.

:(:(

BajaWarrior - 2-11-2009 at 06:47 PM

Quote:
May be bad news for me. My trucks been running great until this afternoon when it decided not to start. It's in the shop right now.

If I don't get my truck back in time, I'll have to drive my husbands truck which is not set up to go in the dirt (street tires, etc). I'll still swing by on Saturday to say hello and meet everyone and wish you all a good trip.

:(:(

Melanie,

worst case scenario could you drive your Bronco? We're not racing, just a fun run...Is it south right now?

Gadget, you'll find it next time I'll bet!:yes:

N2Baja - 2-11-2009 at 10:57 PM

The Bronco stays in the states these days. (I could handle anything getting stolen from the house except that. knock on wood) I'm keeping my fingers crossed that its something minor on my truck and I'll be meeting up with you and Chris on Friday. I'll keep you posted.

Neal Johns - 2-12-2009 at 01:13 AM

The Johns will be a no show. We were going to go to BOLA afterwards to see the "lost mission" but some business killed all. Next Year!!!

Melanie

BajaRob - 2-12-2009 at 09:00 AM

Are you the one that brought a group to our South Campos Parade of Lights a few years back?

David K - 2-12-2009 at 09:10 AM

Quote:
The Johns will be a no show. We were going to go to BOLA afterwards to see the "lost mission" but some business killed all. Next Year!!!

This one: http://vivabaja.com/109 ?

Neal and Marian... when you do get there... be aware that the climb up the side of the mesa is very steep! Perhaps coming up the mesa from the south end you could drive directly to the high end of the wall... where the rock circles begin?

N2Baja - 2-12-2009 at 09:58 AM

Yes, BajaRob, that was me. We had a blast!

BAJACAT - 2-12-2009 at 10:21 PM

Hey guys & gals have fun and take alot pictures.
Chuck thanks for all your support,and help..maybe next year...

Thanks Jose

BajaRob - 2-13-2009 at 06:25 AM

we hope that you can make it next year. You will be missed.

BajaWarrior - 2-13-2009 at 12:22 PM

Quote:
we hope that you can make it next year. You will be missed.

Ditto here Jose, and that goes for the rest of you scoundrals!

Heading out in 40 minutes for the Beach House. Convoying with N2Baja (Melanie)

See ya down south gang.

[Edited on 2-13-2009 by BajaWarrior]

David K - 2-13-2009 at 02:26 PM

Hope everyone has a grand time!:light::bounce::light::bounce:

bajalou - 2-13-2009 at 06:09 PM

Saw Baja Warrior near the new Pemex by El Dorado about 415p - He's almost there.

Busy weekend

BajaRob - 2-14-2009 at 05:18 AM

in the South Campos.
Saturday 7:00 AM- Swap meet at the Community Center
Saturday 5:00 PM- Valentine Dinner/Dance at the Community Center
Saturday 5:30 PM Mixed grille BBQ and pot luck at Baja Warriors
Sunday 7:AM Pres Day 09 ride to Quartz Moutain, Cajon Canyon and Valle Chico
Monday 7:00 AM Pancake Breakfast at the Community Center

[Edited on 2-14-2009 by BajaRob]

David K - 2-15-2009 at 11:05 PM

How about some reports ?

Bug - 2-16-2009 at 07:13 AM

Thank you Baja Warrior for leading a great trip Sunday. It was nice to put the name to the faces. And what nice people too. The day was so enjoyable. Look forward to the next run.

bajalou - 2-16-2009 at 10:06 AM

It was a great day in the desert - cloudy and a little cool but not too bad. Actually any day in the desert is great.

BajaLou and 5 other vehicles from El Dorado headed out Zoo road to Quartz Mtn at the east end of Chanote wash. Nomads bajalou, bug, El Camote and Jim, meme's husband were among the group. Got there a little before 10am and built a fire to ward off the slight chill. Any day is a good day for a fire!

At 1030 Baja Warrior arrived and his group of 9 vehicles of Nomads and friends got out to take a look and climb Quartz Mtn. Nomads Baja Rob, Squarecircle and Baja Warrior and Phil were among the group. Looked around and visited for a hour or so then saddled up and headed out to Valle Chico and across to the west side and Canon Cajon. Took Rehab road across the valley and heard a few wondering if they should check in but all continued to follow Baja Warrior to our lunch spot.

Drove to the mouth of the canyon where there is a small corral and some buildings and set up for lunch. This was a 2 hr stop and several walked up the canyon checking out the stream and rocks, plants etc. Phil got a picture of some petroglyphs that he spotted on the canyon wall. No one spotted any of the mountain rams that populate these mountains.

About 3pm, packed up and headed out using Cross Valle Rd past a ranch shown on some maps as El Chaparral, then on to East Valle Rd to Zoo RD and back to the coast. Got slowed down a bit by a couple of burros that liked to stand in the road.

The group from Santa Maria headed to Jolly Mon for a little relaxation before heading down Highway 5 and Baja Warrior's place. The EDR group just headed to our houses and are thinking about the next trip into the desert.

Thanks BajaCat for getting this going again this year even if you didn't make it. and Thanks to Baja Warroir for the use of his house for the pot luck Sat evening and staging area as well as accommodations for some of the out of towners. And of course to his and BajaRob's scouting, planning and leading this year.

[Edited on 2-16-2009 by bajalou]

BAJACAT - 2-16-2009 at 01:20 PM

Thanks for the i nfo Lou I hope next year i will be able to make it, I hope everybody had a good time ,againg thanks to Chuck and Chris for taking charge on this event, also BajaRob and BajaLou for the help,and for the people that didn't make it this year( like me) don't worry 2010 is just around the corner, can wait for the pix guys & gals.

[Edited on 2-16-2009 by BAJACAT]

David K - 2-16-2009 at 03:03 PM

Thanks Lou for the wrap up of the expedition...

I look forward to hearing from the others in the next day or few...!

Thank you Lou

BajaRob - 2-16-2009 at 06:15 PM

For your words on our trip to to the Valle. As always we so much appreciate our time spent with you. Everyplace that we go, you have already been there and you are so generous with sharing your knowlege with us. Many call you you the " desert rat" , we call you friend. Rob

[Edited on 2-17-2009 by BajaRob]

BajaWarrior - 2-16-2009 at 08:38 PM

Just got in, whew! Rain again coming home. It started at the Mexicali border and lasted all the way to El Cajon which is about 20 miles east of San Diego.

Yes! Yes! Great trip.

We had 9 vehicles from our group a few of them were Nomads and the rest were guest of Nomads or neighbors of BajaRob's and mine. We met with BajaLou and his group so we were 15 vehicles strong when we left Quartz Mountain and proceeded west towards Canon El Cajon.

More later, like I said, just got in.

Thanks guys!

Chuck and Chris

BAJACAT - 2-16-2009 at 11:40 PM

cHUCK I HOPE YOU MAKE ANOTHER THREAD ABOUT THE EVENT, THIS ONE IS GWETTING TO LONG...:biggrin:

David K - 2-17-2009 at 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
cHUCK I HOPE YOU MAKE ANOTHER THREAD ABOUT THE EVENT, THIS ONE IS GWETTING TO LONG...:biggrin:

Gee... it's been here for so long, why move it now that it's over? Perhaps put a trip report/ photo essay in the Trip Reports forum with a link to there from this page...?

Pages:  1  2