BajaNomad

WHAT NOMADS DRIVE IN BAJA POLL

Pages:  1  2

DieselCruiser - 6-25-2009 at 03:19 PM

Mine's a 1984 Toyota Land Cruiser. It has a 4l 6 cylinder toyota turbo diesel machine in it, is lifted and runs on 33s, dual spare carrier, gas can and tool carrier, roof tent, dual battery system, rear locking diff and some other stuff.
great for Baja, as it looks pretty beat up, but is in great mechanical shape and gets 24mpg fully loaded.

if I figure out how to get my pics to 50k on a mac, I'll post pics.
cheers,
Jan

Wow!

toneart - 6-25-2009 at 03:47 PM

Pappy Jon,

That's quite an endorsement for Toyota. 300,000 miles is impressive.
If my Ford F150 ever buys the farm, I would probably get a Toyota. I see that today, Toyota has gone ahead of Ford in the poll.

fishbuck - 6-25-2009 at 03:49 PM

Wow, Toyota takes the lead. I'll bet DavidK has a big smile!
:yes:

smlslikfish - 6-25-2009 at 04:21 PM

Mostly I drive my wife crazy :saint:

GeoRock - 6-25-2009 at 04:25 PM

I started out driving this wagon, but it was just too bumpy!

Wagon at Bodie 2.jpg - 39kB

GeoRock - 6-25-2009 at 04:26 PM

I traded in the wagon, and went with Dodge. This was better, but got terrible gas mileage.

[Edited on 6-25-2009 by GeoRock]

Dodge truck at Bodie 2.jpg - 38kB

GeoRock - 6-25-2009 at 04:28 PM

I finally gave way to the modern world, and now drive my baby--the Hummizle. It doesn't get much better gas mileage, but the ride is sure smoother!

H2 in Yo Aug 08 3.jpg - 46kB

Baja truck

toneart - 6-25-2009 at 09:19 PM

100_0554 [DVD (NTSC)].JPG - 39kB

BAJACAT - 6-25-2009 at 09:26 PM

Keep them coming Nomads, it's nice to see all the input, in diferent brands of vehicles.

Barry A. - 6-25-2009 at 10:00 PM

For extended trips--------1994 Ford F-250, 460 ci gas, 5-speed, extended cab, long bed, 4x4 with special suspension and large tires, with a winch to rescue me (and others) when I push the envelope a little too far.

For quicky trips----------2007 Nissan X-terra "off road" model.

Love them both.

Barry

Sharksbaja - 6-25-2009 at 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart

Hey Tony don't make fun of our park hoist truck.:lol::lol::lol:

Cool pic,thanks!

Sharksbaja - 6-25-2009 at 10:17 PM

Can I vote twice? I have 2 trucks!:D

Bob H - 6-26-2009 at 06:26 AM

Ford - Toyota... now tied!

Both must be great trucks... Bob H

Pappy Jon - 6-26-2009 at 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DieselCruiser
Mine's a 1984 Toyota Land Cruiser. It has a 4l 6 cylinder toyota turbo diesel machine in it, is lifted and runs on 33s, dual spare carrier, gas can and tool carrier, roof tent, dual battery system, rear locking diff and some other stuff.

[drool]

I also have a 1969 FJ40 Land Cruiser project. I'm hoping some day to take it down to Baja, if I can figure out how to get all my stuff inside.

DieselCruiser - 6-26-2009 at 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pappy Jon
[drool]

I also have a 1969 FJ40 Land Cruiser project. I'm hoping some day to take it down to Baja, if I can figure out how to get all my stuff inside.

I have been down there with a gas 40 series, and the biggest problem is poor fuel consumption and the small tank. To go anywhere remote we had to carry 4 fuel cans. Also the short wheelbase is hell on the washboard roads. But it was fun!
cheers,
jan

Barry A. - 6-26-2009 at 01:01 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Pappy Jon
[drool]

I have been down there with a gas 40 series, and the biggest problem is poor fuel consumption and the small tank. To go anywhere remote we had to carry 4 fuel cans. Also the short wheelbase is hell on the washboard roads. But it was fun!
cheers,
jan

My son has a 76 FJ and he installed an after-market "extra" gas tank made specifically for the old FJ's and it solved the limited fuel problem. I think it holds about 26 gallons, in addition to the stock tank-------? His FJ gets about 17 mpg on a good day.

Now he can keep up with my X-terra.

Barry

David K - 6-26-2009 at 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
Friend has an FJ and was underpowered.Installed a Chevy 6.2 diesel and a 5 speed.Big improvement.

You are talking about the OLD Land Cruiser FJ-40, correct? The new Toy is the 'FJ Cruiser' and has the same powerful 230 HP 4.0 litre V-6 as my Tacoma, I do believe.

arbee - 6-26-2009 at 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
Friend has an FJ and was underpowered.Installed a Chevy 6.2 diesel and a 5 speed.Big improvement.

You are talking about the OLD Land Cruiser FJ-40, correct? The new Toy is the 'FJ Cruiser' and has the same powerful 230 HP 4.0 litre V-6 as my Tacoma, I do believe.

arbee - 6-26-2009 at 08:46 PM

Oxymarooon, 230 HP and powerful.

David K - 6-26-2009 at 08:54 PM

Well, for the way my Tacoma is built, it has been more than enough power for my freeway cruising and four wheeling.

arbee - 6-26-2009 at 09:03 PM

David K, just screwing with you. I knew that I would get a response from you.

DieselCruiser...Diesel FJ60 ?

ElFaro - 6-26-2009 at 10:15 PM

Quote:
great for Baja, as it looks pretty beat up, but is in great mechanical shape and gets 24mpg fully loaded.

if I figure out how to get my pics to 50k on a mac, I'll post pics.
cheers,
Jan

Hey DieselCruiser...Where is that FJ60 registered? If in Calif. how are you able? The only ones I'm aware of are out of Canada.

ElFaro - 6-26-2009 at 10:33 PM

I own a 1987 FJ60 LandCruiser...the last year of carburetion and stick shift. Mine has 150K on it. LandCruisers should not even be grouped with other Toyotas...in fact LandCruisers were made by Araca Co. for Toyota. They are the most widely driven 4wd vehicle in the world. When you see programs of travel in foreign countries on say KPBS what are they driving ? Fords?, Dodges?, GM?, Chevy? Tundras?, Tacomas?...hell no! LandCruisers everytime. Watch the news reports out of the Middle East where you'll see machine guns mounted on top of what?...Jeeps?, Wranglers? Expeditions? Suburbans? LandRovers? Hell no! LandCruisers everytime...why? Because they don't break down like all the other crap out there that are nothing but "grocery getters".

You never hear anyone talking about axle diameters, clutch surface area, bearing sizes, xmssn/xfr case gear sizes, etc. But LandCruisers are definitly overbuilt in all these areas. If you want to see the best CD on LandCruisers go get the 50th anniv. CD of the Land Cruiser from Spector Off-Road. My favorite is the story of the Schmidt's FJ60...about 400,000 miles on that 2F cast iron engine...yea the one that was used in fork lifts. That engine NEVER failed to start every time in 186 countries. And that is straight out of the factory!!

BajaWarrior - 6-27-2009 at 06:48 AM

'06 F350 Deisel Crew Cab Longbed Lariat, nuff said...

[Edited on 6-27-2009 by BajaWarrior]

mail.jpg - 27kB

DieselCruiser - 6-27-2009 at 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ElFaro

Hey DieselCruiser...Where is that FJ60 registered? If in Calif. how are you able? The only ones I'm aware of are out of Canada.

It's legally registered in california, and it is originally out of Guatemala. It was brought into the US by someone who moved here, I then bought it and rebuilt it from bumper to bumper.
cheers,
Jan

DSCF5671.jpg - 37kB

DieselCruiser - 6-27-2009 at 09:44 AM

perfect for camping, and will go anywhere.
J

trk.jpg - 39kB

DieselCruiser - 6-27-2009 at 09:49 AM

and one more, in BOLA.

trk2.jpg - 26kB

David K - 6-27-2009 at 09:55 AM

Great job of posting the photos!

2 more fans...

Pompano - 6-27-2009 at 11:09 AM

..good friends well-met via a vintage Toyota Landcruiser...all still going strong.

Pappy Jon - 6-27-2009 at 01:25 PM

Quote:
You are talking about the OLD Land Cruiser FJ-40, correct?

Yes, the original Land Cruiser (sort of, if you don't include the FJ25).

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
My son has a 76 FJ and he installed an after-market "extra" gas tank made specifically for the old FJ's and it solved the limited fuel problem. I think it holds about 26 gallons, in addition to the stock tank-------? His FJ gets about 17 mpg on a good day.

That is the tank I'm running as primary. My original tank, the one that sat under the passenger seat, was full of holes. Picture as it appeared before final dissembly for paint.

tattuna - 6-27-2009 at 09:20 PM

I have an '08 FJ i bought specifically for Baja. Upgraded with Demello bumpers and sliders and Icon suspension. Love it!!!

BAJACAT - 6-27-2009 at 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tattuna
I have an '08 FJ i bought specifically for Baja. Upgraded with Demello bumpers and sliders and Icon suspension. Love it!!!
Do you have pictures

What do we know about what Nomads drive in Baja?

David K - 6-28-2009 at 09:44 AM

Well, on Sunday morning the Nomads who have voted so far indicate they mostly drive Fords and Toyotas in Baja

Both are almost exactly tied at 28% each.... or 56% combined.

Way down at 13% is 'Other' (brands not included in the list of 6 choices, brands like Hummer, Subaru, Honda, Isuzu, Land Rover, Suzuki...)

Next at 11% is Dodge...

At 9% is Jeep...

At just 7% is Chevy...

and in last place is Nissan at 4%.

Barry A. - 6-28-2009 at 09:57 AM

Quote:
Well, on Sunday morning the Nomads who have voted so far indicate they mostly drive Fords and Toyotas in Baja

Both are almost exactly tied at 28% each.... or 56% combined.

Way down at 13% is 'Other' (brands not included in the list of 6 choices, brands like Hummer, Subaru, Honda, Isuzu, Land Rover, Suzuki...)

Next at 11% is Dodge...

At 9% is Jeep...

At just 7% is Chevy...

and in last place is Nissan at 4%.

Obviously most people have not experienced the incredible flexibility and competance of the Nissan X-terra "OFF ROAD" model, with it's more than needed power, rear locker, bilstein shocks, all around toughness, and roominess, and flawless quality, and 21 mpg efficiency------------til more people learn, I will remain smug and proud of my "X". Had it almost two years now-------never have I had to take it to be fixed after some really bad roads and 21K miles, or so. I did slightly modify the suspension raising it 2-1/2 inches overall-----the stock suspension was the ONLY weak point.

Barry

David K - 6-28-2009 at 10:16 AM

I like the X-terra... It would be a serious contender if I wanted a small SUV... along with a Toyota 4Runner, Mitsubishi Montero, etc.

I am thinking most have trucks... maybe a poll on Trucks Nomads drive is in order?

toneart - 6-28-2009 at 10:57 AM

Quote:
J

Where can we buy that cartop tent? I have never seen one before. That looks like a good practical idea. Do you have a foam pad in there? Can you close it down with the pad inside? I would imagine it would get a little unstable up there in a wind. Is the rack part of the tent assembly or will the tent attach to most racks? Does it detach easily so you can optionally use it on the ground?

Cypress - 6-28-2009 at 11:53 AM

What to drive? To be honest, anything that will get me from A to B and is a comfortable ride, as long as it doesn't break the bank to own and drive.:biggrin:

BAJACAT - 6-28-2009 at 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
What to drive? To be honest, anything that will get me from A to B and is a comfortable ride, as long as it doesn't break the bank to own and drive.:biggrin:
your right Cypress, this post was created to get different feed back and all the models & brands that nomads drive in Baja, but is real simple, if you like what you have and it works for you in Baja, thats all it matter... DODGE RULES.....

woody with a view - 6-28-2009 at 02:17 PM

Quote:
Quote:
J

Where can we buy that cartop tent? I have never seen one before. That looks like a good practical idea. Do you have a foam pad in there? Can you close it down with the pad inside? I would imagine it would get a little unstable up there in a wind. Is the rack part of the tent assembly or will the tent attach to most racks? Does it detach easily so you can optionally use it on the ground?

Tony

i've seen a couple up close and they are handy however, the ladder up and down in the middle of the night is best left to the borrego.

Barry A. - 6-28-2009 at 05:19 PM

Quote:
Quote:
J

Tony------plug in AUTOHOME into your search engine-------I looked closely at the ads last year, especially the COLUMBUS model---------they are very popular in Europe (and are made there) but they are quite pricey. The ladder issue could be a problem for older, less agile folks, but generally I was impressed. I wanted to match one up to my x-terra as a sleeping alternative. Generally they look very stable when closed, and yes your bedding stays inside them when folded up. They really are pretty cool-----the price I could not justify (yet) tho, and my wife (65) took a pretty dim view of climbing up and down that ladder several times a night------not an issue for me, tho.

There are probably other products, but when I researched them AUTOHOME seemed to me to be the "best" option.

Good luck.

Barry

toneart - 6-28-2009 at 06:22 PM

Thank you Barry and Woody. I'm checking out Autohome right now. Climbing up and down the ladder is no problem for me.

Steve&Debby - 6-28-2009 at 09:05 PM

40 foot motorhome to get me there and have a comfortable place to stay in and my Jeep to get me everywhere else.

ElFaro - 6-28-2009 at 09:08 PM

TONEART...Try Spectre Off-Road in Los Angeles area.

Anyone driving an UNIMOG in Baja?

Last ones I saw were in Robby Gordon's team area at Estero Beach at Baja 500 last year.

There used to be a website that sold used MOGS and they had a picture of one towing a railroad car !!

Those Robby Gordon MOGS make a Hummer look like one of those "smart cars" next to it.

arbee - 6-29-2009 at 06:51 AM

Check out www.billcaid.com for some Mexico Unimog stuff.

DieselCruiser - 6-29-2009 at 07:00 AM

Quote:
Quote:
J

Yes, autohome is the name of the company. It has a 3 inch foam mattress in it, and closed with mattress, blankets and l]pillows. It sets up within seconds, literally. There are many roof top tents out there, and I chose this one as it is completely wind stable. We've slept up there in the strongest gusts in BoLA, and it was just fine. The rack is not part of the assembly, it attaches to any rack with parallel bars. To detach it the 4 clamps have to be loosened, which takes about 10 minutes. I store it suspended from the ceiling in the garage.
This is the best thing I ever bought for camping. fast setup, always dry, windproof, and a comfortable mattress. The ladder is good quality, but certainly a pain, especially on cold nights after some beer in the middle of the night :D

cheers,
jan

Curt63 - 6-29-2009 at 07:08 AM

Dcruiser, Time to try the gatorade bottle for staying off that ladder in the middle of the night!

tattuna - 6-29-2009 at 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
Quote:
Originally posted by tattuna
Do you have pictures

Here are a few. The roof rack is used for kayaks. I kayak fish Gonzaga Bay annually and sometimes other parts of Baja as well. I also installed a Swiss Army map light kit with Scanguage, an All Pro high clearance tail pipe, and painted the door handles, mirrors and bezel black.

BAJACAT - 6-29-2009 at 05:50 PM

TATTUNA, nice rig, I like the skull detail, thanks for posting the pix...

toneart - 6-29-2009 at 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Curt63
Dcruiser, Time to try the gatorade bottle for staying off that ladder in the middle of the night!

As I said, going up and down the ladder would not be a problem for me. Now Jan and Curt have introduced the real problem for some of us...ahem...older gentlemen. Multiple ups and downs not good.:(:no:

[Edited on 6-30-2009 by toneart]

duke62 - 6-30-2009 at 12:49 AM

Darn it! I could not upload the photo, but our vehicle, a Ford Expedition, is nothing special, except, this.

Our mechanic friend (who works at a different, unamed, dealership that is currently involved in bankruptcy proceedings), & who is also a Baja fanatic, took a letter "M," from his supplies, and applied it to the left side of the model identification on the back. Hence, "MEXPEDITION," on the rear of the vehicle. People in San Diego ask if that is a Mexican version, like the old Ford 150 (I think) produced in Mexico called, "Lobo."

p.s. The Chilangos would say, " You cannot say 'Mexico,' in the title, unless you are speaking of the city. Anything else, is the state." Pues, when they come up with a hybryd , 4x4 called "Aja," I am first in line. ;D

duke62 - 6-30-2009 at 12:59 AM

Holy Crap! I forgot to vote. Sorry DK. Voted Ford. I think it is tied up now.

If I owned one it would have been Suzuki Samurai. Or, Wilson golf cart... with Mexican fringe on the roof... lowered.... with rims... . Sorry, my East L.A. genetics ees showing.

Doug/Vamonos - 7-3-2009 at 07:43 AM

I've always wanted to stop at the Ford dealership in Ensenada and get a "Lobo" plaque for my Fords. Better yet would be a custom Lobo Herido. That would be cool.

[Edited on 7-3-2009 by Doug/Vamonos]

durrelllrobert - 7-4-2009 at 11:03 AM

anything with South Dakota plates:lol::lol::lol:
 Pages:  1  2