BajaNomad

Baja Camera Walkabout - ''Close Encounters of the Baja Kind"

Pages:  1  2  

Pompano - 9-12-2010 at 08:23 AM

Here we are replanting clams to thier natural environment.

Clams and Scallops

Pompano - 9-12-2010 at 10:14 AM

The Day the Music Died.

Pompano - 9-18-2010 at 09:21 AM

Adios Concepcion!

Whew...enough bad news...

Pompano - 9-18-2010 at 10:04 AM

What say we take the bad taste out of our mouths...and make some Banana Cream Pies! Ole!

My own BBC pies...a good reason to live.

[Edited on 4-10-2014 by Pompano]

Cypress - 9-18-2010 at 12:08 PM

Pompano, Appreciate your positive attitude and photos'.:D The unrestricted use of gill nets and the resulting decimation of the fisheries is hard to see. Those mackerel will probably be mush before they reach any market.:no:

Now WHO did this?

Pompano - 9-18-2010 at 12:31 PM

I was thinking that things in Coyote Bay are about as perfect as it gets ....

...and then somebody put a hole in this island...

[Edited on 2-24-2015 by Pompano]

Additons - Nov. 2010

Pompano - 11-21-2010 at 09:14 AM

An amigo, Clemente, anchors his panga on the glassy waters of Conception Bay next to Dead Dog Beach on Isla Barga...with a hopeful outlook. Maybe he gets some fish today, maybe he doesn't. Okay either way...

I really do love everything in Nature, but the damn gulls can stop using my patio for their bombing runs ...anytime now!

First the pests get their clams..usually chocolates...at low tide on the beach in front..then climb high in the sky directly above my flagstones.

Then Clams Away! as they try to bean you on your noggin as you sit peacefully in your chair.

Crack! Splatter! ..the clams are broken open by this convenient hard spot. They swoop down to gobble up the goodies and go looking for MORE clams. Damn birds are gonna eat up all the clams..MY clams!

Later, after the feedng frenzy is over, I broom off all the broken clamshells and disgusting goo.

I settle down in the chair again for a needed rest with a c-cktail..and promptly get pooped on the head or in my drink by some overfed gosh darnn gull.

It has to stop...

THIS WAS NOT IN MY BAJA BROCHURE!

DENNIS - 11-21-2010 at 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
I settle down in the chair again for a needed rest with a c-cktail..and promptly get pooped on the head or in my drink by some overfed gosh darn gull.

It has to stop...

Damned flying rats. Has anyone ever tried to eat one? Maybe we all have and just don't realize it.
Chase them back to the landfill where they belong, Roger.

Pompano - 11-21-2010 at 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
I settle down in the chair again for a needed rest with a c-cktail..and promptly get pooped on the head or in my drink by some overfed gosh darn gull.

It has to stop...

Damned flying rats. Has anyone ever tried to eat one? Maybe we all have and just don't realize it.
Chase them back to the landfill where they belong, Roger.

Ahem to that, Dennis. We concur..

...and make our toast to the eviction of Stuka-Gulls from Coyote Bay. Click..

Thank you....and Now, the responses and retorts from PETA members, if you please.

Bob and Susan - 11-21-2010 at 11:19 AM

the brids are planing...

b22.jpg - 44kB

BajaBlanca - 11-21-2010 at 12:22 PM

Roger -this is a wonderful thread ... a lot of fun to follow pics and stories ... one of these days you really should come to La Bocana .... my camera does not do it justice. Arrive here mid morning, relax on porch and help Les deplete the beer supply for the day, enjoy an amazing lobster - fish - scallop - sushi dinner at Joaquin's cactus restaurant at 7:00 with a chance to meet all the locals and visitors for that day, sleep to the sound of waves crashing (even tho' they are a mile away, you hear them clearly) and wake up to Les's incredible Polish scrambled eggs and delish coffee. Then, go fishing for dorado and wahoo on the good years, yellowtail this year.
Hope we enticed you, we'd love to have you over.

BajaGringo - 11-21-2010 at 01:35 PM

I hear you Pomp. Every day I take a bucket of water and squeegee up to the roof as the damn gulls seem to really enjoy having fun with target practice on my solar panels...

:fire:

Pompano - 11-21-2010 at 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
Roger -this is a wonderful thread ... a lot of fun to follow pics and stories ... one of these days you really should come to La Bocana .... my camera does not do it justice. Arrive here mid morning, relax on porch and help Les deplete the beer supply for the day, enjoy an amazing lobster - fish - scallop - sushi dinner at Joaquin's cactus restaurant at 7:00 with a chance to meet all the locals and visitors for that day, sleep to the sound of waves crashing (even tho' they are a mile away, you hear them clearly) and wake up to Les's incredible Polish scrambled eggs and delish coffee. Then, go fishing for dorado and wahoo on the good years, yellowtail this year.
Hope we enticed you, we'd love to have you over.

BajaBlanca...we are coming SOMETIME soon...you can count on it. Will need info on where to motorhome camp, launch boats, fillet fish, eat, drink, carouse, and dance.

Til then, Pompano.

BajaBlanca - 11-21-2010 at 03:00 PM

motorhomeing is a challenge but doable as Dave from San Quintin just did it a couple weeks ago - just come to the front of our house. Best parking spot in town. hands down.

there you can eat, drink, carouse and dance.

everything else is 5 min away from that spot if you drive REAL slow. launching. fishing. filleting. joaquin's. beach. shore fishing.

requirement: camera, BYOB (not much to offer in town), and smiles.

Pompano - 11-22-2010 at 08:39 PM

"...You must not blame me if I talk to the clouds...."

Like it was yesterday, I can clearly recall the summer night that my older brothers let me go camping with them in the Badlands of ND. I was very proud to be one of the 'older guys' bunch.

As we lay out that night under the moonlight and watched some clouds moving under it's beams..my oldest brother said:

"Scout..did you know those clouds way up there are moving at 1000 mph?"

It was a magical night...

..and I have never understood to this day why he thought I was soo stoopid. So later, when he crawled out to put some more sticks on the fire, I put a length of rope inside his bag. :yes:

When he came back, took off his boots, and shoved his feet down to hit that rope coil, he let out a holler, and got moving muy pronto!

Then I said to my other older brother.."Gar, do you think Dave is moving about 1000 mph?"

I grew to love clouds..as we all do, I am sure.

Here's some of my favorites from Baja. I hope you enjoy them..even those really faassst ones. :rolleyes:

Cypress - 11-23-2010 at 06:57 AM

Awesome! Thanks Pompano.

Dum dee...dum-dum..

Pompano - 11-23-2010 at 08:14 AM

Just sitting here in Oceanside...killing time.. waiting..waiting...waiting.

Hmmm....I'm missing something....but...? Something is nagging at me...what could it be..?

willyAirstream - 11-23-2010 at 09:03 AM

Hmmmmm, Could it be picture number 3?
:rolleyes:

Pompano - 11-23-2010 at 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willyAirstream
Hmmmmm, Could it be picture number 3?
:rolleyes:

Could be, willy..could be...

..but then, it could be those gorgeous sunrises......maybe..

Vince - 11-23-2010 at 12:14 PM

That horney tuna is called a PESCADEER

Vince - 11-24-2010 at 12:22 PM

OR BETTER YET: PESCADEERO

Vince - 11-24-2010 at 12:26 PM

http://picasaweb.google.com/Flynnv56/SCANNEDSLIDES#530049733...

Pompano - 11-24-2010 at 01:06 PM

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, VINCE...say Hola to the family.

How to remove a tree with a bulldozer.

Pompano - 11-29-2010 at 08:46 AM

This happened on Thanksgiving Day..south of Ensenada on the torn-up stretch of the Baja Road. Near the oak tree recreation park area. As you know, this is a slooow stretch right now..

tsk..tsk. I don't care why or who..this is not a great way to haul your kids around, hombre.

Now to the tree removal...

This tree had to go..so how to do it while entertaining the waiting motorists?

EASY..GET YOURSELF A BIG BACKHOE AND A BULLDOZER.

NOW..find a handy boulder...:rolleyes:

Make believe you are two large dung beetles and start that sucker rolling...

Line up on the tree....push, push, push....steady eye...push, push

One final nudge..on target!

Gotcha!

The tree is under there somewhere.....:rolleyes:

There..much better without that tree, right?

Okay, Show's Over! ...let's get this traffic moving.

[Edited on 11-24-2013 by Pompano]

November 2010 Baja Road Trip - Varied Photos

Pompano - 12-7-2010 at 07:20 AM

Pre-Road Repairs.

The tuna pens at Ensenada.

Nice shaded RV park.

The normal road hazards..ganado.

The normal road hazards..bad equipment (lotsa flats!)

The normal road hazards...rutted vados. (this one near Catavina is now history.)

Our overnight RV spot next to BajaCactus, El Rosario.

You can still get some emergency fuel at Punta Prieta.

First glimpse of Tres Virgens coming south from San Ignacio.

First glimpse of Sea of Cortez just above Infierno grade.

Down the grade and almost to sea level near Sta. Rosalia

The marina at Sta. Rosalia

San Lucas Cove RV Park

San Lucas Cove RV Park 2

One of the common sights I love about Baja...

Pompano - 3-25-2011 at 02:26 PM

No commentary needed.

Walkabout Photos of Baja...

Pompano - 3-25-2011 at 02:48 PM

Gypsum dust cloud over mine on San Marcos Island..San Bruno village in foreground.

Colorful cemetaries. This one is in the mountain hamlet of Magdalena.

Have you ever been to this old giant?

First the Bay of Conception's bottom was littered with delicious bay scallops..then the entire Bay land perimeter was litterd with empty scallop shells.

The road to the cave paintings..Rcho Trinadad, Mulege

Flying beach patrol with flying buddy, Dusty.

A rather special trimaran..and skipper. Anybody remember who?

Waterbed springs a leak...and Baja does have a dress code.

[Edited on 6-3-2015 by Pompano]

acadist - 3-25-2011 at 06:17 PM

I think I have looked at this thread about 100 times and still love it! Makes me dream of my next visit.......5 more weeks:yes:
Thanks Pompano!

Bob H - 3-25-2011 at 08:25 PM

Rodger, the stories you must have!! We need a camp fire and shots!
Hahahhaa.......:lol:

watizname - 3-26-2011 at 10:30 AM

Just can't get enough. Sitting here in So Cal, waiting for the next trip down, your photos mesmerize. The first thing I look for on Nomads is a post from Pompano, then I can read the other stuff. Thanks Pompano, you keep the fires burning.:yes:

Punta Chivato Golf - 1987-90

Pompano - 3-26-2011 at 03:29 PM

This was the golf course at Pta Chivato back on the 80's and 90's.

I am trying to sink my 'chip-putt' on the rough sand greens. If you killed a rattlesnake during your round, you could deduct 2 strokes...(maximum of 4-snakes, 8 stokes).

Pictured are Billie Brush, me, Bill Alvarado (Pta. Chivato owner/developer in those years) and unknown golfer.

In the background is my horned! dune buggy..doing double duty as a golf cart. Some time later mi amigo Manuel told me of the no-no of putting horns over your head...hah! What a hoot! :yes:

"Those were the days.. my friend. I thought they'd never end....la lah lah"

Skipjack Joe - 3-26-2011 at 04:07 PM

Cornudo

Keri - 3-26-2011 at 05:11 PM

HI Pomp, I believe Mike and I had a sunset tour on that catamaran. Don't remember the Capt.I think the person on the boat is Evie Oos of The Orchard, many long years ago she was our next door neighbor. She was also one time Queen of the Las Casitas. Do you remember those days. Wow. even if it isn't the one I think it is sure brought back a flood of good memories. Thanks Mucho. Mike and I hope to run into you this summer when we make our trip down.k

Coyote Bay - 'The Shrine' & Sargasso

Pompano - 4-18-2011 at 08:39 AM

The Bay Shrine is a great place to stop and enjoy a nice view of Coyote Bay. Always worth a stop..and don't forget a small donation to the Shrine. ;)

One of the most photographed places on the Baja peninsula. A favorite stopping place for Italians. ;D

It's also a great place to silently and slowly kayak along the edges of the sargasso/weeds...LOTS of aquarium-size fishes swim here. Snorkle to your heart's content. Get yourself a underwater point-n-shoot camera.

[Edited on 6-3-2015 by Pompano]

BajaBlanca - 4-18-2011 at 11:29 AM

as always, great shots and wonderful dialog !

wessongroup - 4-19-2011 at 09:50 AM

That is too cool.. thanks for always having your camera at the ready... and using, plus all your time putting it all up ... and your comments.. just great

fixtrauma - 4-21-2011 at 03:22 AM

I enjoyed looking at all those pictures all over again.

BajaBlanca - 4-21-2011 at 04:52 PM

muy bueno otra vez.

Pompano - 4-26-2011 at 09:10 AM

Having Fun in the Water!

As I have said many times...The Bay is Perfect for Kayaking. The best in Baja, hands down!

"Rafting Up at Burros"

"What? No Easter Eggs? Not a problem..imagination triggers an invention...Easter Triggers!"

You litterbugs are this guy's rice bowl.

More later...saludos, Pompano.

Mucho Howdies! Time to update this thread..con mas Baja fotos

Pompano - 10-29-2011 at 04:51 AM

Although I'm stalled for a bit 'Up North', I'm struggling to get to 'Down Baja', just as soon as I can finish mopping up a few hunting/fishing duties here...

....which means the bay will be way too cool for skinny-dipping by the time I get to Coyote. ( that fact will surely put my neighbors at ease.)

But these days my mind is on Baja constantly, and so I've scrounged around for some 'Baja-walkabout-with-camera' favorites to add to this thread's collection...almost like being there. It's like an addiction with me, posting Baja photos...or any photos for that matter!

Most are quite recent home and area pics (last season from Oct-June) and even in color....and some were taken with a magnesium flash-powder tripod camera with me under a black cloth. :rolleyes:

But photos are books...timeless and treasured ...our memorable & precious possessions that make us all rich.

So hey, let's get this slide show rollin'...MORE BAJA WALKABOUTS WITH CAMERA.

..."AND...AAA-WAY, WE GO!" (do you miss Jackie Gleason as much as I do?)

OPPS! Say..Looks like I got started with a Bora Bora photo by mistake?

Naw...just joking around. That's daughter Stacy in the palms over at Santa Barbera Cove in Coyote Bay, Bay of Conception. This great picnic & snorkeling beach is still one of my favorite boat stops in the Bay. I'll be checking it out again soon. Most things have returned to normal...as often happens down there. ;)

Ah...one of my personal favorites. Here's most of the clan on a hiking trip up to Roger's Rookery overlooking Coyote Cove beach places.....featuring: Cedric the Beachmaster, Mother Felipa, son Charlie, & Stacy again.

Somehow Stacey managed to avoid getting skewered by the many types of spiked cactus on our hike.

Felipa with our late friend and neighbor, Matt-Mateo...two years before he passed. On this day, Felipa's birthday, Mateo presented her a special handcrafted walking staff..that she still uses and treasures to this day. The top is carved with a beautiful salamander, winding around the handle. Gracias, amigo viejo - nice work and may you Rest In Peace.

Stacy and Mom getting some seafood ready for our evening dinner...lobster, scallops, shrimp, & lutefisk.

Time to go kayaking and work up an appetite for that seafood dinner...did I mention lutefisk? Just say the word...next time I can slither some into a leak-proof ziplock for you?

Felipa picks up a hitchhiker...lucky dog!

Below, amigos Two Dogs and Roger (late nomad aquaholic) inspect lots of rock paintings in the Bay.

It's a happy haircut day for weatherman Geary (Club Burro)...by Felipa, my expert cutter. Muy guapo, amigo!

Offering water and prayers to the gravesites at the village of Magdalena. Day of the Dead.

This green vessel was a scientific research ship that took measurements, water samples, and soundings in the Bay for about a month. They did not say they were looking for our Conception Bay Monster, 'Thar She Blows!'...but you can't expect them to divulge thier hidden mission, right?

It's an extreme low tide at the Mulege estuary towards the lighthouse (el faro)...and...whew!...pungent to say the least!

I would not try sliding down these barnacle encrusted pilings fireman style...ouch...there went the cajones!. :rolleyes:

Who doesn't love rainbows...especially Baja ones that guide you back home?

Here's an older photo collage of Punta Chivato's Casa Grande (the first 3) and the hotel (bottom right)..taken from offshore with friend Michael around 1978-79. Baja, she changing, si...but slowly, thank Neptune.

My fair lady takes a look at the Mulege palm forest from the river overlook at the mission.

Here's an example of Baja beach sculpturing that would win any contest.

Okay...time out for a little lite lunch (Im dieting..again)...:yes:

AND during lunch.... A NAME THAT FACE QUIZ.

(We had a little get-together at mi casa...for some reason, I'm sure.)

How many names can you put a face to in this poorly edited 1989 photo of Conception Bay and Mulege people of the 70's and 80's? Good amigos all.

The winners should send names & shipping addresses to receive first, second, third, forth, fifth, sixth and so-on place prizes. All 125 mostly leak-proof lutefisk bags will be awarded of course...lucky dogs!

Till Then, Pompano

David K - 10-29-2011 at 08:00 AM

Thank you Roger!

Barry A. - 10-29-2011 at 12:18 PM

Great photos, and narritive, as usual. Love your posts!!!!

Thanks Roger.

BArry

Yes!

El Vergel - 11-1-2011 at 07:25 PM

What wonderful walkabouts!Thanks for the share!

[Edited on 11-2-2011 by El Vergel]

Pompano - 11-1-2011 at 08:50 PM

Pacific scene: Shark Fin Road Kill at Laguna Manuela:(

Pacific scene: Something easier on the eyes. :yes:

Pompano - 11-1-2011 at 09:31 PM

"Encourage this kind of graffiti. Baja Sands are soooo much more fun to write on..

Just as Baja Waters are soooo much more fun to float on...

...or merely kick back and enjoy the Baja Views...it's ALL good....if it's Baja."

kayaking on the Bay

desertcpl - 11-2-2011 at 09:16 AM

needbigboat.jpg - 31kB

Pompano - 11-2-2011 at 10:25 AM

Hah...I've seen that photo a few times, before, amigo.

But this one below I took myself a few years ago just off Pta. Conception. This shark followed my hooked pinto right up to the boat, which kind of surprised me when it appeared out of the depths. Felipa did manage a nice scream when she leaned over to see it.

Hey, I wondered why she became less interested in boating? Between a tornado on Lake of the Woods coming fast across the lake at us...and this shark in Baja...who can blame her?

That shark hung around while I dangled that lure up and down to get it's attention and interest. Of course, that was stoopid...and I'm glad it never decided to take the lure.

That the Cortez for you...never boring!

desertcpl - 11-2-2011 at 10:30 AM

thats a big boy

Pompano - 11-2-2011 at 01:16 PM

Catavina Cal..."Gotta Peso?"...is fast becoming a Baja legend...and mosly in his own mind. Well, no foul, no harm.

San Lucas Cove -San Bruno - San Marcos Island (a bit north of Mulege)

Pompano - 11-3-2011 at 11:33 AM

One of my best-spent days just being lazy on the shores of San Bruno inshore of San Marcos. These kids were having the time of their young lives...me, too.

Mi amigo..a photograper & whale and dolfin fan... who has a special place near San Lucas Cove sent me these close-ups of a huge member of the porpoise family, the Dall's porpoise.

A delightful cave on San Marcos Island...great gunkhoing and spelunker's anchorage. A magical place..like all of Baja.

This is from the early '70s..'Blackjack' and a few us took a tour of San Marcos village, visiting a young Catholic priest on his 'mission', plus looked over the gypsum mine and operation. Go visit right after you spot large plumes reaching skywards.....if you like white dust. :rolleyes:

San Marcos..actually in the 'burbs' of north-end San Marcos.

A favorite long-ago photo (1973) of seal Moms on top, diving into the Cortez, while Juniors stay cuddled below.

Back in the day, we often competed with those divers...and we did okay!

Still one of my favorite fishing destinations...chugging out of Mulege.

(Opps...I meant 'running', not 'chugging'...sorry, Miguel.) :rolleyes:

What will you catch at San Marcos? Anthing you want..given the season you're there.

Hey, it's ALL fun! How about a nice red snapper for all your dinner guests....hmm?;)

Cypress - 11-4-2011 at 04:49 PM

Got a CD of the Hurricane John flood. It's wild!:D

BajaGringo - 11-4-2011 at 04:57 PM

Thanks again Roger. Nobody can tell a story with photos like you do...

:spingrin:

Udo - 11-4-2011 at 05:05 PM

HOW ABOUT POSTING IT, FRIEND?

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Got a CD of the Hurricane John flood. It's wild!:D

[Edited on 11-5-2011 by Udo]

Cypress - 11-4-2011 at 05:10 PM

Udo, I'm what you might call "challenged" when it comes to posting pictures etc. Will check with my technical support crew and see if they'll do it.:P

Pompano - 11-4-2011 at 05:29 PM

Sudden dust clouds at Pta. Chivato...??

"Big wheels keep on movin'....."

Hey, It's Saturday Night!...Im outta here! Hasta la bye-bye, amigos.

captain4tuna - 11-5-2011 at 09:09 AM

Wow.....Thanks Roger.....Always enjoy your posts and pics......

wessongroup - 11-5-2011 at 09:36 AM

Thanks again... sure glad someone took pictures... great stuff..

ddawson - 11-5-2011 at 09:56 AM

awesome pics and story

Baja's Fire, Smoke, RAIN ...and an asteroid or two...

Pompano - 11-5-2011 at 10:08 AM

This Year’s Weather Has Been…..Shall We Say…’UNUSUAL’…

I'm in San Diego, but just put one leg over the fence into Baja, so this is within the forums guidelines, no? Anyway, it's mostly about Baja, so no sweato.

"THE RAINS OF SAN DIEGO AND BAJA NORTE"

San Diego's I-8 W near stadium. 5:00 p.m. enroute to Chevy's Fresh Mex café for some Drunken Shrimp.

Heavy rains started in the early morning and it has not really stopped since. My RV rain gauge measured over 1 inch since 5 am Friday...near the coast.

There is some SNOW in the higher elevations…up around 4000ft. Pine Valley, etc. but, as usual, won’t last too long. San Diego does not know snow….like Lake of the Woods does. :rolleyes:

I drove from Oceanside down to Coronado to La Mesa and back to Shelter Island…all the time in hard rains and wind. I felt some very strong gusts….radio reporting 55mph gusts…I believe that to be accurate. Radio also says that today, Saturday, is supposed to partly- sunny, (actually said partly-cloudy, but I prefer this definition) and temps of 50-60 F, which is fine with me.

Parking lot at Chevys looking at rainclouds…a slight lull, then another downpour.

Saw lots of low spots flooded…ramps, exits, etc..like this one at Ward Rd, the SD SignOn paper said.

Rain is always welcome to a arid, parched land....except as 30ft walls of flash-flooding....remember Juan and Jimema?

HURRICANE FLASHBACKS!

We hope all future storms are like ‘Norberto, The Storm That Wasn’t.’
These photos below are from my 2008 Road Trip from SD to Mulege during Norberto.

I camped here for a short time…until that pond grew into a LAKE.

Pepsi driver is going for it and became my trailblazer for livestock and any other road hazards. I followed his taillights for safety’s-sake.

Driving on down Baja with a good soaker and the cactus for company..…hmm…they gave me an idea….how about some asparagus spears with steak tonight?

This place looks vaguely familiar.. Probably because I’ve driven past it a zillion times, eh?

After a long, but uneventful drive in the rain, I arrive home to Coyote Bay…to more drizzling from Norberto.

Norberto peters out at the casa in Coyote Bay….One last Poof! ….and he was history. :rolleyes:

With that, I say…This could be…The End.…but I doubt it.

Why?... because I still have 14,582 photos left in my ‘un-posted’ category. :rolleyes:

..and you thought/hoped I had run out, right?

wessongroup - 11-5-2011 at 06:54 PM

Not at all ... keep it coming... don't know where ya get time... but, thanks

Some Sharky Stuff...

Pompano - 11-14-2011 at 07:48 PM

35ft Whale Shark in our bay last winter. It hung around for a couple weeks before slowly coasting away, but not before we got a chance to swim with it. What fun!

Local and modern shark tooth...seems to be a great white's.

Megladon Shark tooth found near San Jose del Cabo....Older by a million years...and HUGE.

"Sharkey's" Car wash in Ensenada

Hmmm.. Was this a shark attack?? :rolleyes: ??...wellll..;).

Catavina,more than just a gas station at a lonely desert place.

Pompano - 11-17-2011 at 09:34 PM

Everybody recognizes these rocks by now.

Seems to be a place for taggers. At least this one uses chalk crayons.

Camp or motel it, your choice. I like the rocks.

You're much safer if you stake out some Judas pooches.

The not-so-old museum could use a new roof,no?

Who could forget nights spent at this motel? I've tried to forget, believe me! Burning candles, scorched cat, Mother-in-Law, etc.

A better choice to spend the night might be here...at the Desert Inn Motel.

Many varieties of desert flora. Some not categorized yet...

Stop awhile and get to know the locals.

[Edited on 2-26-2015 by Pompano]

Ateo - 11-17-2011 at 09:39 PM

Great pictures. Any more of the girl weighing shrimp? Kidding. Seriously though, great pictures. Thanks,
Jon

sanquintinsince73 - 11-18-2011 at 09:38 AM

Your photo's always captivate and for short while at least, take us back to Baja.

Cypress - 11-18-2011 at 12:14 PM

Pompano! The saga continues. Thanks!

mcfez - 11-21-2011 at 08:36 AM

Always enjoy your post(s). This travel log that you are doing is great. Thanks Pompano for sparing some time away from that gorgeous Kelly of yours, ...to post. More please.

[Edited on 11-21-2011 by mcfez]

David K - 11-21-2011 at 08:47 AM

Great photos as always...

Original operators and name of the hotel in Cataviña was El Presidente. They sold the Baja chain to La Pinta some years later. They were in operation by early 1974, following the completion of Hwy. 1.

Ateo - 11-21-2011 at 08:55 AM

Thanks for posting.

Pompano - 11-21-2011 at 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Great photos as always...

Original operators and name of the hotel in Cataviña was El Presidente. They sold the Baja chain to La Pinta some years later. They were in operation by early 1974, following the completion of Hwy. 1.

Been there, done that. But thanks for reminding me, I do remember the El Presidente chain..stayed at them in Catavina, also Loreto, San Quentin environs, and Acapulco way back when. El President, Acapulco..bad memory....a young gal was killed when the parasail tow-boat swung her into a bedroom window. Horrible event.

Hook - 11-21-2011 at 09:28 AM

I cant believe they are getting 180 pesos at RSI now.............I'd say that fee is EXACTLY why the campground is so uncrowded.

I swear I remember when it was 20 pesos, IF they even came and collected. I think the last time I came by was about 5 years ago and I believe it was 60 pesos. That's some inflation rate.

Next time I drive in those parts, I guess I'll be looking for a spot among the boulders north of town.

I DO appreciate that a 33 foot rig has limited options in that area.........

[Edited on 11-21-2011 by Hook]

David K - 11-21-2011 at 09:40 AM

Hook, maybe they camping rates is not set in stone and goes up depending on the size of one's motorhome? If Oscar and Matilda are still operating the ranch, maybe a friendly talk with them will help?

Pompano - 11-21-2011 at 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
I cant believe they are getting 180 pesos at RSI now.............I'd say that fee is EXACTLY why the campground is so uncrowded.

I swear I remember when it was 20 pesos, IF they even came and collected. I think the last time I came by was about 5 years ago and I believe it was 60 pesos. That's some inflation rate.

Next time I drive in those parts, I guess I'll be looking for a spot among the boulders north of town.

I DO appreciate that a 33 foot rig has limited options in that area.........

[Edited on 11-21-2011 by Hook]

Hook, I don't think 15 bucks a night is out of bounds, although I tend to boondock more than stay in campgrounds, anyway. Especially Up North in remote lake country. Near the southern borders, I avoid remote camping for all the obvious reasons.

My rig is actually a 35footer measured bumper to bumper..and in the course of time I've camped on almost every trail in the Catavina area....so No, there are many spots available for such rigs.

It's more of a nostalgia thing for me to camp at Inez...and adds some support to the rancho.

David K - 11-21-2011 at 09:50 AM

Roger, is Matilda still cooking up yummy machaca in tacos and juevos?

Pompano - 11-21-2011 at 09:53 AM

Quote:
Roger, is Matilda still cooking up yummy machaca in tacos and juevos?

David, I imagine she is, but I have a far better cook with me, so why go out?

They did drive over in their car to collect the money. Guess it's a long walk these days. ;)

sanquintinsince73 - 11-21-2011 at 10:40 AM

Maybe I am out of line for asking, but as one whose entire family enjoys your photo's and your humor, we were curious what happened to your other "co-pilot?"

David K - 11-21-2011 at 10:48 AM

I always was hoping to have some banana cream pie at El Coyote, which was Co-Pilot #1 (from what I recall)... Then there was the Italian Connection (#2)... and now Kelly, who looks like a winner!:biggrin:

Bob H - 11-21-2011 at 10:58 AM

Quote:
I always was hoping to have some banana cream pie at El Coyote, which was Co-Pilot #1 (from what I recall)... Then there was the Italian Connection (#2)... and now Kelly, who looks like a winner!:biggrin:

Oh, this is getting good!:o:smug::O

sanquintinsince73 - 11-21-2011 at 11:05 AM

Quote:

He's on his third co-pilot?? I think Pompano might very well be the Baja version of Warren Beatty.

Pompano - 11-21-2011 at 11:09 AM

I can reply using this quote from one of my favorite authors..once.

"When you have nothing to say...say nothing".

[Edited on 11-21-2011 by Pompano]

David K - 11-21-2011 at 12:32 PM

Enjoy life, Roger... :biggrin:

Barry A. - 11-21-2011 at 01:01 PM

Quote:
Enjoy life, Roger... :biggrin:

Ain't it great!!!! I enjoy each and every post Pomp makes.

You go, guy!!!! :spingrin:

Barry

motoged - 11-21-2011 at 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sanquintinsince73
Maybe I am out of line for asking, but as one whose entire family enjoys your photo's and your humor, we were curious what happened to your other "co-pilot?"

Uh....NONE of our business :saint: :cool:

sanquintinsince73 - 11-21-2011 at 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Quote:
Originally posted by sanquintinsince73

Uh....NONE of our business :saint: :cool:

Yeah I know, I know. Pompano and a few others have become household names around here and a few were just curious. You know how some women are...especially mine.

bacquito - 11-21-2011 at 06:58 PM

Great viewing and thanks so much for sharing.

Lake Chapala - BOLA turn-off - Jesus Maria - Laguna Manuela

Pompano - 11-25-2011 at 04:29 PM

Lake Chapala - Pta. Prieta - Jesus Maria

So little is written in trip reports about these places that I thought I'd best snap a few photos and show the folks in North Dakota that part of Baja, too. After all, Baja is so much more than beaches and fishing. :yes:

So here we go. Imagine you are driving south from Catavina....

There's nothing like a drive in the hills of Baja. Lifts the soul. Put on some slow low classical and cruise...

Still lots and lots of the unique cardon and boonjums/cirios

There it is up ahead....Lake Chapala. Usually as dry as a missionary's beer stein, but I've seen it flooded, and once...even blanketed with snow.

Living in this land of few rules, you can practice the finer arts of balancing stuff atop your pickup.

GEOLOGICAL HISTORY CONCERNING LAKE CHAPALA:

. (For those Nomads who were snoring with me during high school geology class, B.P. stands for ‘Before Physics’, meaning specifically before the introduction of radiocarbon-dating - meaning pre-1950 AD

I know, I know, scientists are like this. They could just compute the date to BC, right? Sheesh….I have to pal with a few like mi amigo, Randy….very anal and shootable creatures.)

Prior to 9070 yr B.P. (7120 B.C. dammit!) and perhaps during the late Pleistocene Age, a future site of human habitation was submerged beneath the surface of Lake Chapala. Between 9070 and 6800 yr B.P., after the lake retreated, hunter-gatherers lived at the site on a sandy beach near a lower stand of Lake Chapala.

The geologic history of Pluvial Lake Chapala provides evidence of a long sequence of hunter-gatherer lake environments, probably dating back to the late Pleistocene. Evidence of a high lake stand predates 9000 yr B.P.

Normal faulting in the southwestern corner of the Laguna Chapala basin reduced hydrologic limits to modern levels, and promoted erosion of lacustrine deposits under a pluvial precipitation regime. Desiccation and rapid growth of sand dunes occurred after 7600 yr B.P. Prime dune-buggy country indeed! Can you see Fred Flinstone on his stone-wheeled rail??

BOLA TURN-OFF

Coming up on the turnoff to BOLA to the east...left to you southbounders.

Need some gas?...Watch for sights like this. The out-of-the-way fuel just costs a leeetle more than the Pemex stations..

This old site has good parking/ camping for any size rig. Also offers good shade in case you pull in during the summer. This is an old Pemex station.

And...about 80-some miles further south....

We made good time on the straightaways and even the few miles of construction area was not that bad......and soon Jesus Maria comes into view.

Gas, diesel, and sundries available here. - p.s. just what the hell is a sundry,anyway?

I was just coming up the Baja Road the other day, November 8th, 2010 … and when I came to Jesus Maria to have my regular tres carne burritos-to- go from CARMELITA’S TAMALES.....I happened to notice a handy tire shop...a llantera.

So I pulled in with my motorhome. I wanted to see if any of my six tires needed any aire. They take 70 lbs for highway use.

25 lbs if I am dunebuggying with the old Southwind 34’! :rolleyes:

I had the good fortune to meet a nice guy….Isaac…Taller Mecanico “Chakin”..and some of his friends.

Isaac quickly checked out all 6 tires and reported them all good…bene. Little things like correct air pressure make me feel good.

I liked the look and feel of Isaac’s tire shop, so I decided to have him look at a problem with the motorhome that has plagued me for months. The dang electric step for the motorhome doorway has been sticking all across the nation. I crawl underneath, wiggle wires, check ends & corrosion... and then use my last resort..... bang the motor with a hammer. And it works..for a while. :yes:

I asked Isaac if he knew any auto electric guys around town.

He grinned and said, “ Si..me”

Hah..I knew I had come to the right place then. He first checked the switches on the inside controlling the step…they were live and good…so then he crawled underneath to check the motor.

While Isaac was underneath working on the step..and his buddies giving him encouragement, I wandered around the place.

I love workshops, garages, and the smells. Takes me way back in time.

Reminds me of my Uncle Norman’s farm blacksmithy. Ah..those were the days…

I look back to check on Isaac …still underneath, but I hear the motor buzzing away. Sounds like good progress to me!

Did you ever get to play with a block and tackle as a kid? I DID! I merrily hoisted and hoisted..and only dropped the engine on my foot once. Trust me..do it once..and you never will do it twice!!
Enough nostalgia..back to the present problem of the dang step.

Best check on Isaac again......

…...WHOA!!...WOW!...HOT TAMALES!!

JUST KIDDING…Isaac is a good guy and a great mechanic, but he ain’t nearly that good-looking. However, he fixed the Southwind’s electric step in a very short time and was a real pleasure to visit with besides. On my travels from ND to Baja, I had received estimates from many RV service centers...ranging from 250 bucks to almost $600. Forget that, I said...and kept banging away with my hammer.

I was very satisfied with Isaac’s fix … and asked how much I owed him? He smiled and said “100 pesos, Rogelio.” Damn, now that was WAY too little, but I could not offend a new amigo by giving him WAY too much…so we settled on 150 pesos. Still the best damn bargain you will ever find.

Salud, Isaac. Bravo!

Isaac Valadez Aquilar
Ejido Villa Jesus Maria, B.C. Km 95
Carretera Transpenisular
TALLER MECHANICO “CHAKIN”

SHARK FISHERMEN OF LAGUNA MANUELA

A BAJA LEGEND – CARMELITA THE TAMALE LADY

It used to be that no stop in Jesus Maria can be made without a visit to the famous Carmelita's Burritos.

IN FOND MEMORY - CARMELITA PHOTOS:

HER HUBBY RUNS IT NOW

CURRENT LOCATION

OLD SITE FOR VAN

.............My usual order = 3 for the road. Lasts about 3 miles..........

Sad to say, another Baja legend has passed.

As we drive on south I fondly recall a great gal... Rest in peace, Carmelita.

David K - 11-25-2011 at 05:05 PM

She was so awesome! Proudly displayed my old Viva Baja sticker above her van doors (given to her by Fishin' Rich back in 2003 or so). I gave her a 'got baja?' sticker for her add on dining room in 2007.

El Rosario - BOLA turnoff

Skipjack Joe - 11-25-2011 at 07:18 PM

... is the best section of the entire 1000 mile highway.

I never get tired of seeing it. Never get tired of driving it. It was a love affair from the start. The heart of the peninsula, it doesn't get photographed enough IMO.

Thanks, Roger.

mcfez - 11-26-2011 at 07:42 AM

Another fantastic photo essay by Pompano. Txs for taking the time to do it.

Barry A. - 11-26-2011 at 11:48 AM

Yes, Pomp-------just GREAT!!!!

Many thanks again.

Barry

Ateo - 12-15-2011 at 09:37 PM

Skipjack Joe: yes. Best part of transpeninsular.

LaTijereta - 12-16-2011 at 08:58 AM

Came through that section on Wednesday...

wessongroup - 12-16-2011 at 09:15 AM

:):):)

watizname - 12-16-2011 at 09:20 AM

Now that's what Im talkin about. :bounce:

desertcpl - 12-16-2011 at 10:50 AM

Nobody can put a story together quite like Roger

LONG DESERT HIGHWAY FROM VISCAINO-ASUNCION-AND HOME TO COYOTE BAY WITH A COLD

Pompano - 12-16-2011 at 08:47 PM

VIZCAINO - ASUNCION AT SHARI AND JUAN'S

.. Merry Christmas?...Bah, Humbug!....Hugged 45 people yesterday and today......so naturally I am now down with a code in my node and cabeza. Happens every year...so When will I ever learn!..:rolleyes:...sigh.

Enjoy the pics and CAPTION THEM IF YOU LIKE...AND AS YOU LIKE.

Enter photos stage left...sniff...HACK!...COUGH!...(warning: come near me again with a hug in mind, I'll strangle you with a Xmas stocking..

..... except for Co-pilot.) :rolleyes:

Ah..Home. Unpack manana...maybe..

Co-pile, I could ud ah ches rub wi Vicks...ahh-chooo!

[Edited on 2-26-2015 by Pompano]

North2U - 12-16-2011 at 09:06 PM

Roger, I've met you only in passing at Saul's, once. But, I always look forward to your pictorial postings.

bajabass - 12-17-2011 at 06:36 AM

If it is not the scenery, it is the people. If it is not the people, it is the food. Thanks Roger, makes me want to hit the road again.

acadist - 12-17-2011 at 08:35 PM

Quote:

[Edited on 12-17-2011 by Pompano]

My boys were happy to see Campo Sirena and it looked like the fire pit they built for their Cub Scout badge was still there from a couple of weeks ago;D

SAN IGNACIO

Pompano - 1-6-2012 at 09:39 PM

SAN IGNACIO

Hola amigos, still heading south on the Baja Highway?

Okay..bueno!

Notice: If you have cleared this Mexican Army checkpoint about 80 miles east of Guerrero Negro…..

…then the next town you will come to is:

San Ignacio..Old-time Baja, peaceful, unassuming

(note: I receive no dinero, freebies, gifts, or services from any cafes, rv parks, massage parlors or Pemex stations...why not?)

On a fertile ravine 89 miles south of Guerrero Negro you'll find the beautiful town of San Ignacio in Baja California Sur…...

or you might just breeze on by. It all depends on whether you are: on a 'quest'...or traveling?

Hey, glad you decided to take a look. Let’s go!

The access road, about two kilometers (1.3 miles) from the transpeninsular highway, allows you to enter into a fantasy landscape, a magnificent contrast to the mysterious sierras and the drought of the desert…not to mention the gritty dust storms and that pesky radar cop south of GN.

On the way into the center of town, you'll pass over an underground river that bubbles into a quiet lagoon bordered with red grass ....

....and shaded by huge date palm trees. If you're driving the peninsula, this true desert oasis is a refreshing stopover. The road continues through a scenic palm forest…

until it reaches a small classic plaza.

This square…zocalo…is decorated by six leafy Indian Laurel trees.

San Ignacio’s town square was once an overnight campsite for us in my smaller 24’ Minnie Winnie. I had just drove in and parked about 1 hour before sundown…and not wanting to leave that nice place, asked permission from the local policia to stay there for the night. He noted the small motorhome, grinned at the two of us, and recommended a friend’s taco stand.

We were very grateful to sleep under those India trees that night. Peaceful, tranquil, and when we got hungry, just a few steps to a bacon-wrapped hot dog or tasty taco.

Respectfully and with thanks, we had a very pleasant night, then coffee and fresh OJ the next morning with huevos rancheros…and we contentedly got back on the Baja Road ….for Coyote Bay.

The majestic church of San Ignacio de Loyola rises at the front of this plaza. Narrow little streets and antique houses converge at this spot.

Some functions of church:

Ww-w-weddings..

Ww-w-weddings create more ww-w-weddiings.

Some prefer less-confining areas...like the seven seas.

"You have 1 unheard message in your mailbox.. from the Tackle Box. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2VhB7vaZI0 "

History …… which I know everybody loves to read with their morning coffee…or evening c-cktails. Well, almost everybody.. :rolleyes:

The place that the Cochimes call Kadacaaman (red grass river) was "discovered" on November 19, 1716 by the Jesuit Father Francisco Maria Piccolo.

Founded in the early 18th century by Jesuit missionaries, San Ignacio was and still is an earthy, unassuming small town in the middle of (almost) nowhere. The missionaries planted orange and fig trees as well as the date palms that still flourish beside the steep banks of the adjacent river. The main part of town is just a few streets deep, surrounding the main plaza.

The founding father of the mission, begun on January 20, 1778, was the Mexican Jesuit Juan Bautista Luyando, who devoted much of his life to the mission and its people. This mission, Iglesia de San Ignacio de Loyola, was finished by Dominicans after the Pope ordered the expulsion of their Jesuit brethren. So much for respecting founding fathers…Jesuits and Dominicans were not compadres, it seems. In fact, the Jesuits were thrown out of all of Mexico around 1725 or so. They must have done something very bad…or perhaps something very good? What do I know?…I’m a follower of Thor and Summanus, the Thunder Gods, especially after the Mulege Chii-Cookoffs.

Back to the commanding Dominicans. Very concerned with the physical appearance and grandeur of their churches and monasteries, the Dominicans created in San Ignacio one of Baja's loveliest churches. The design is a Latin cross motif, Gucci décor, and the exterior impressive with its volcanic rock façade. Not a Taj Mahal, but muy impresionante ..very impressive…..for a Baja Cochimi village. I mean, come on!…I’ll bet not more than 2 or 3 of those native Cochis had ever visited Rome or Gay Paree .

Jesuit Fernando Consag was responsible for much of the construction of the church, utilizing 4 feet wide blocks of volcanic rock which originated from the nearby volcanoes, Las Tres Virgenes… although I doubt Fernando hefted any himself. You don’t want to drop one of those on your toe. Construction was completed in 1786. No records are apparent for the amount of native labor it must have taken to complete the heavy volcanic rock structure…or whether the natives had a signed work contract, formed a union, or were merely enslaved and/or saved. :rolleyes: Due to its solid walls, the building has barely changed over the years and is one of the most beautiful missions in the Baja California peninsula.

In addition to the magnificent facade with it's decorated, carved stone, the building's interior consists of a great alter of carved wood and gold finish, seven oil paintings and a statue of San Ignacio de Loyola. These are truly jewels of religious art of the XVII century. A visit to the church is one of the highlights of San Ignacio.

Hey, It’s a real cool place, try it.

Especially cool during the hot times in July, August, and September…. thanks to those huge, massive blocks that must have been so hard to move. :rolleyes:

Attractions

The fresh water lagoon, surrounding orchards, the dates palms (reportedly first imported here in Baja) and a scenic walkway to town make San Ignacio an ideal refuge for the soul.

The untouched beauty of this oasis and its surrounding areas speak for themselves. In the winter, the placid waters turn into a river running from twelve to eighteen miles. In the summertime, the river becomes a spring with countless fresh water pools, where species such as the Israel Carp, Fresh Water Turtle and Bullfrog thrive. Fresh pompano are seen splashing at times, but are on the list of un-gendered species.

San Ignacio provides the eco-tourist with excellent options. San Ignacio is the gateway to the cave paintings area in the Sierra of San Francisco, distinguished by UNESCO as a Patrimony of Humanity. To visit caves such as La Pintada & El Ratón, it is necessary to contact the INAH, next to the mission, where you can learn the rules and regulations and obtain the proper permits. No one is allowed to visit these pristine sites without a registered guide. INAH will provide the guides for a fee.

The Sierra de San Francisco, near San Ignacio, contains more than 500 cave paintings, estimated to be over 10,000 years old. Anthropologists are unsure who created these paintings or why??.. ..

………… but there are some un-confirmed rumors:

One can only imagine why the unknown artists painted certain subjects. One popular theory: They were frustrated graffiti taggers. (No freight trains, bridges or old vehicles to decorate.)

Central Baja boasts more rock art than the more famous sites in France and Spain. Located within a 12 sq. km area, most of the paintings are found high (around 10m) above ground. The two most accessible sites are Cueva el Ratón and Santa Marta. Before heading out on your own, you must register at the Museo de Pinturas Rupestres in San Ignacio. (Visiting permit 34 pesos per person; camera or video camera use 35 pesos.) The staff there will radio ahead to the caves to arrange for an official to meet you and guide you to the sites.

To reach Santa Marta, drive 20km east on Mex. 1 and take a left on a marked dirt road. After 37km, you will reach the base and your guide (180 pesos for a group of 3.) It’s another 1hr. hike to reach the cave.

To reach Cueva el Ratón, drive 40km north on Mex. 1 and take a right on a marked dirt road. Travel on the road for 37km. The caves are a short walk in, making el Ratón a cheaper option (guide 80 pesos for a group of 3).

EcoTurismo Kuyima, on the zócalo in San Ignacio, takes groups on daytrips to both sites. www.kuyima.com. Groups of 2-3 people US$70 per person. Open M-Sa 8am-1pm and 3-8pm).

A trip into the Sierra San Francisco to look at the actual, wonderful, colorful cave and rock paintings is one of the main reasons visitors come to San Ignacio. North of town in the mountains is La Cueva Pintada ("painted cave"), where artists painted walls 150 meters (about 500 feet) high, and cave ceilings, with depictions of birds, fish, and other animals, including humans male and female.

Designated a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1993, the Sierra San Francisco has other rock paintings as well, accessible to adventurous, curious travelers on foot or burro, or sometimes by jeep. The best season to visit is November through February, when nights are chilly to cold but days are not too hot.

San Ignacio Lagoon

San Ignacio offers another attraction; San Ignacio Lagoon, one of the shelters of the grey whale. Near the lagoon you'll find places for sport fishing, surfing and scuba diving. Guided tours are strongly recommended. Information should be provided at hotel desks.

Apart from its drowsy desert appeal and proximity to prehistoric rock paintings, people also visit San Ignacio is to see the gray whales which tarry during the winter months in nearby San Ignacio Lagoon (note that San Ignacio itself is not on the Pacific). Along with Mag Bag (Bahía de Magdalena) and Scammon's Lagoon (Laguna Ojo de Liebre), Laguna San Ignacio is one of the best places in the world to admire up close---and even caress---these gargantuan aquatic creatures.

Their annual migration, the longest of any mammal, brings them from the Bering Sea/Arctic Circle to mate or give birth to young. After regaining their strength and nurturing their young, the whales usually begin returning to their northern feeding grounds around March.

Local fishermen work as guides from January to April. They are available to take your group out on the lagoon in pangas. During these trips visitors are often surrounded by grey whales of all ages and sizes.

Some whales will surface very near your boat, close enough to touch, Often, many other whales can be seen in the distance spy hopping, and occasionally breaching (leaping nearly completely out of the water).

THAR SHE BLOWS!! ?? (brace yourselves!?….

Naw, not today, folks...I trying hard to keep this report informative and helpful…plus my ‘Rubenesque Spouter’ would be censored, anyway.)

WHALES, WHALES, WHALES

The best place on earth to get close enough to touch these friendly, curious animals in their own environment.

Want to caress a whale that just eyeballed you? (No, it’s not your Aunt Mabel…)

Eye-to-eye: an unforgettable encounter. This baby is safely perched on mom's back.

SAN IGNACIO CITY ATTRACTIONS:

The Festival of San Ignacio Loyalo takes place during the last week of July, as does the annual date harvest. The plaza fills with light, music and fun. In this festive atmosphere, you can enjoy horseraces, c-ckfights, dances, the fair and fireworks in one of Baja's prettiest plazas.

San Ignacio has hotels, restaurants, RV parks, a paved runway, a bus depot, and many other services waiting for the tourist.

Practice touch and gos at the local paved airstrip.

San Ignacio lies 142km southeast of Guerrero Negro on Mex. 1, and 72km west of Santa Rosalía. A winding road canopied by swaying date palms leads south from the highway and becomes Luyando at the zócalo. Most activity revolves around the tranquil zócalo, bordered by Luyando to the west, Morelos to the east, Juárez to the north, and Hidalgo to the south.

Bus schedules:

Buses pick up and drop off passengers at the white terminal building adjacent to Mercadito Ravi on Mex. 1. From central San Ignacio, trek north along Luyando and take a left on Mex. 1. Considering the length of the walk, a better bet is to grab a taxi at the zócalo.

--Buses head north to Tijuana (14hr., 1 per day, 805 pesos) and Mexicali (4 per day 8am-11pm, 972 pesos) via Ensenada (13hr., 704 pesos) and Guerrero Negro (2hr., 134 pesos).

--Buses go south to San José del Cabo (3 per day 6:30am-7pm, 769 pesos) and La Paz (3 per day 11am-11pm, 594 pesos) via Santa Rosalía (1hr., 70 pesos), Mulegé (2hr., 129 pesos), and Loreto (3hr., 258 pesos).

When heading south from San Ignacio, the first noticable landmark is Las Tres Vírgenes - The Three Virgins. Sta. Rosalia and Mulege are way down thataway, if that's one of your stops...plus the rest of Baja Sur.

Practical Information around town:

There is no official tourist office, but native English speaker Juaníta Ames at Casa Lereé, on Morelos one block from the zócalo, has handmade maps of the town and nearby hiking trails, along with other useful information.

Laundry … head to Lavandería, on an unnamed dirt road. To get there from the zócalo, walk past the mission and the museum, following the road as it turns, and take your second right. Look for the red-and-white signs about two blocks in. (Wash 30 pesos, dry 30 pesos. Open M-Sa 8am-8pm, Su 8am-3pm.)

Other services include:
Police… on Ocampo and Zaragoza in the Delegación Municipal (☎154 0147);

Pharmacy … Farmacia Ceseña, Madero 24A, one block back from Juárez open M-Sa 9am-1pm and 4-7pm, Su 9am-1pm)

Internet Café… on the zócalo, with fax service (Internet 20 pesos per hr.; open daily 10am-2pm and 4-10pm)

Post office… next to the Delegación Municipal on Ocampo and Zaragoza (open M-F 8am-2pm). Postal code: 23930.

Lodging and Food:

San Ignacio’s few hotels don’t come cheap, and reservations are necessary during El Día de San Ignacio (July 31) and Semana Santa.

If you need to save some pesos, there are several good campsites.

Steeped in San Ignacio history and owned by the unofficial town historian Juanita Ames, Casa Lereé , one block from the corner of Juárez and Morelos, provides three rooms decorated with the works of local artists and set around a large, well-tended garden. Rooms 350 pesos; suites 650 pesos. Cash only.)

Just outside of town on the entry road, Ignacio Springs is a very friendly B&B, where guests stay in riverside cabins and use the hotel’s kayaks for free. www.ignaciosprings.com. Cabins from 580 pesos. MC/V.)

Hotel Posada, a 5min. walk down Cipris from Hidalgo, is a conventional motel with clean rooms furnished with fans. Singles and doubles 250 pesos. Cash only.)

Camping is available in a shady spot right on the water at Lakeside RV Park, next to Ignacio Springs, on the entry road off Mex.1. (Sites 50 pesos.)

Sport Racing, Bar Restaurant, near Casa Lereé, serves the best carne asado tacos (12 pesos) in town and other Mexican specialties in a spot adorned with Baja 1000 off-road racing memorabilia. (Open daily 10am-10pm.)

Right next to the water, Mikasa Café, on the entrance road immediately north of the river crossing, has a simple menu, including tortas (25 pesos) and eggs (50 pesos). After your meal, you can rent a kayak from the cafe for 50 pesos or jump into the river to swim. (Open M-Sa 9am-9pm.)

The seafood (from 85 pesos) on the menu at Restaurant-Bar Rene’s, on Hidalgo, is limited to the day’s catch, but is always deliciously fresh and cooked to perfection. (On a pond just beyond the zócalo. Open daily 7am-10pm. Cash only.)

Family kitchen Restaurant Chalita , on Hidalgo at the zócalo dishes up traditional antojitos for 30-40 pesos. Open daily 8am-10pm. Cash only.)

Taquerías and hot dog stands, right on the zócalo, are the cheapest options.

Groceries, visit Nuevos Almacenes Meza, on the corner of Juárez and Luyando, facing the zócalo. 9742;154 0122. Open M-Sa 8am-noon and 2-6pm, Su 8-noon.)

Sights And Festivals:

San Ignacio blossoms into a huge fiesta complete with singing, dancing, horse races, fireworks, and food during the week-long celebration of El Día de San Ignacio, in honor of the town’s patron saint. Festivities begin on July 22 and end July 31, coinciding with the harvest celebration (July 30), although the harvest doesn’t actually take place until October.

Outdoor Activities:

There are also a number of superb walks through the nearby desert that start minutes from the center of San Ignacio. Juanita Ames, at Casa Lereé, has drawn up detailed maps of the trails. One starts right behind Casa Lereé, heading up, then crossing the Mesa de la Cruz that overlooks the town. The path passes an abandoned army barracks and airfield, along with lots of cacti. A second trail starts on a stony road just north of the El Padrino RV Park. It follows a canyon for about 3 mi. past large and seemingly out-of-place pools of water.

You can also rent a kayak at the Mikasa Cafe, immediately north of the river crossing on the entry road to town (open M-Sa 9am-9pm, 50 pesos) and navigate the very calm water to the end of the Arroyo de San Ignacio for about 3km, where you can swim.

You will like San Ignacio...a place to say Hi to a whale and ...'feel Baja's Magic'

HASTA LA VISTA, AMIGOS!

[Edited on 6-5-2015 by Pompano]

pompano

captkw - 1-6-2012 at 09:48 PM

hola,you are a kick !! just read your,,,, milk cow story,,bout died from laughing !!....thank's..from the "KID"....K&T:lol:..ps..edit,,recardo,at rice and bean's is a great family man and a seasond race stop ,for many year's..not to be overlooked !!!

[Edited on 1-7-2012 by captkw]

Pages:  1  2