BajaNomad

looking for some brave 4x4 souls

Pages:  1  2

Ken Cooke - 2-16-2011 at 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja12valve
........uhhhhhhh, doesn't the Rubicon have Eaton e-lockers? No air there.

Inside the Dana 44s, Jeep has specified front and rear locking differentials built by Tochigi Fuji Sanjyo. i/i]

[Edited on 2-17-2011 by Ken Cooke]

Baja12valve - 2-16-2011 at 06:13 PM

Interesting. They come (of came) with both. My friend had the e-locker, all the info I have read described it as so. Your information is different from what I know, but it is accurate.

4x4abc - 2-16-2011 at 07:12 PM

Jeep Rubicon TJ = Tochigi air lockers
Jeep Rubicon JK = Eaton e-lockers

Ken Cooke - 2-16-2011 at 07:16 PM

Quote:
Interesting. They come (of came) with both. My friend had the e-locker, all the info I have read described it as so. Your information is different from what I know, but it is accurate.

TJ = Air lockers, air lines, etc.
JK = Electric Lockers, no air lines, etc.

I would prefer Electric lockers.:yes:

David K - 2-16-2011 at 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
When I drove the 2WD Toyota pickup, the vehicle had very little torque, power, and I was very low to the ground - like an econo passenger car. People looked at me like, "Look what the trash brought in" - like the type of vehicle you drive when you are trying to get back on your feet.

The Rubicon has seat-of-your pants torque, but not a crazy top-end which is okay with me. It isn't the quietest vehicle - it is very loud, actually. But, when you are cruising with the top off, or open, it is a total blast. It feels like I'm 15 yrs old when I drive it which makes the occasional commute lots of fun.

I know people love Toyota trucks in this forum, and I respect their choices. I prefer a vehicle to be more capable on the 4WD trail, and less car-like, so I opted for the Jeep Rubicon. The drivetrain components are more practical for my needs - Dana 44s, Air Locked Differentials, Straight axle suspension, etc. If I needed a vehicle with a shorter step-in height, less off-road capability, more car-like ride, and better economy I would have opted for the Toyota.

Hello Ken???

Why are you even talking about a 2WD 4 cyl Toyota in this thread? You have ridden briefly in my truck on Shell Island... Are there any power or traction issues with it (4.0 liter V-6, 236 H.P., 4WD with rear locker and Active Traction Control)?

July, 2010 Memories revisited...

Going to help Art (edm-1):

Gone to look at some shells...

'Oh, what a feeling!' ;D

don't judge a book by its cover

mtgoat666 - 2-17-2011 at 12:07 AM

Quote:
When I drove the 2WD Toyota pickup, the vehicle had very little torque, power, and I was very low to the ground - like an econo passenger car. People looked at me like, "Look what the trash brought in" - like the type of vehicle you drive when you are trying to get back on your feet.

there you go again!

Ken Cooke - 2-17-2011 at 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

there you go again!

Back in 2003 is when I made my decision to purchase a new 4WD vehicle. After driving the 2WD Toyota pickup, I concluded the entire line was nothing more than over-hyped. My ex-in-law who works as an auto dealer wanted to find me a great deal on a pre-owned Toyota 4wd pickup, but I told him I wanted to "Conqure Baja" not simply drive down its' dirt roads. I made the right decision. Hanging out with the Baja Crawlers of Tijuana while 4 wheeling in Tecate, one of its' members bought a Toyota pickup, and eventually sold it and built up a flat-fendered Jeep CJ-7. A rock crawler.:yes:

car makes the man, in case of ken

mtgoat666 - 2-17-2011 at 08:24 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

there you go again!

Back in 2003 is when I made my decision to purchase a new 4WD vehicle. After driving the 2WD Toyota pickup, I concluded the entire line was nothing more than over-hyped. My ex-in-law who works as an auto dealer wanted to find me a great deal on a pre-owned Toyota 4wd pickup, but I told him I wanted to "Conqure Baja" not simply drive down its' dirt roads. I made the right decision. Hanging out with the Baja Crawlers of Tijuana while 4 wheeling in Tecate, one of its' members bought a Toyota pickup, and eventually sold it and built up a flat-fendered Jeep CJ-7. A rock crawler.:yes:

glad to hear you got back on your feet.

TheBajaKid - 2-18-2011 at 02:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

there you go again!

Hey Ken, My Toyota pickup will out perform your jeep offroad any day of the week with my girlfriend driving. :yes:

I wanted to "Conqure Baja" not simply drive down its' dirt roads. quote from Ken Cooke
what does that mean? I thought you were against driving off the dirt roads? You need a Beep on your jeep so when you back up we can all hear you.:lol:

[Edited on 2-18-2011 by TheBajaKid]

4x4abc - 2-18-2011 at 03:33 PM

I have been in the 4x4 business long enough to know that 95% of any driving success is driver based.
Toyota vs Jeep vs LandRover vs Mercedes - mostly hot air.

Its very much like musical instruments - you may buy a Steinway grand piano, but your tunes will still sound crappy if you are a crappy player.

That's why I teach the art of 4-wheelin'. No equipment needed - just skill.
4x4 expert training

Baja12valve - 2-18-2011 at 03:58 PM

100% hot air if you ask me, I always laugh at those type of discussions.
Very recently I was in a situation where the person in charge told us to "take the Toyota, because it is a Toyota and it is better" LMAO, in a huge way. That person demonstrated that he had enough money to buy a vehicle with a front end, but he knew nothing about 4wd. However, the type of vehicle and how it is set up can make a difference. No matter what I do, my full size Regular Cab Dodge truck will never go on sand like a small Toyota PU no matter who is driving it.

monoloco - 2-18-2011 at 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 4x4abc
I have been in the 4x4 business long enough to know that 95% of any driving success is driver based.

Its very much like musical instruments - you may buy a Steinway grand piano, but your tunes will still sound crappy if you are a crappy player.

4x4 expert training
Harald, Are those G Wagons diesel or gas?

mtgoat666 - 2-18-2011 at 05:06 PM

Quote:

true.
but jeeps and land rovers have horrible quality issues, won't last 100K miles w/o several major mechanicals. toyotas and mercedes have better quality construction, are more reliable over long haul -- but toyota capital and maint costs are half that of mercedes.
once again, toyota wins!

:lol:

David K - 2-18-2011 at 05:21 PM

Quote:
Very recently I was in a situation where the person in charge told us to "take the Toyota, because it is a Toyota and it is better" LMAO, in a huge way. That person demonstrated that he had enough money to buy a vehicle with a front end, but he knew nothing about 4wd. However, the type of vehicle and how it is set up can make a difference. No matter what I do, my full size Regular Cab Dodge truck will never go on sand like a small Toyota PU no matter who is driving it.

I can show you how... but you will need to trust me on the air pressure thing... just like Art did with his mobile home on Shell Island!

From this...

to this...

David K - 2-18-2011 at 05:22 PM

Quote:

4x4 expert training

So true!!

4x4abc - 2-18-2011 at 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Harald, Are those G Wagons diesel or gas?

are you referring to the ones we were using for our Baja Extreme Adventure?
3 G500 (gas), 1 300GDT (diesel)

more about the Mercedes G-Class:
http://www.rubicon-trail.com/G-Class/

[Edited on 2-19-2011 by 4x4abc]

Baja12valve - 2-18-2011 at 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:

I can show you how... but you will need to trust me on the air pressure thing... just like Art did with his mobile home on Shell Island!

From this...

to this...

Think I was born yesterday? Yes, I know all about tire pressure, and yes, I can easily go on level soft sand, I have many, many times. How well will Art go uphill in that thing, or in dunes, no matter what you do to the tire pressure? Any lightweight 4x4 with a similar tire pressures will run circles around it. Think that thing would make it to the very end of Cabo San Quintin?

TheBajaKid - 2-18-2011 at 07:30 PM

That's why I teach the art of 4-wheelin'. No equipment needed - just skill. quote from 4x4abc
Then why are you taking shovels, axes, chainsaws, pry bars, even moving rocks? Lol. they must be your paintbrush in your ''ART'' of 4-wheelin.

The Toyota's that I really like are the straight-axle ones

Ken Cooke - 2-18-2011 at 07:41 PM

The Toyota '80s vintage pickup is very capable of abuse. We went out with Tom from Baja Crawlers and the rest of the Baja Crawlers club to Tecate for some rock crawling, and the pickup proved its merits.

Tecate, BCN

Tom standing next to his pickup! LOL

Me smiling next to Tom's pickup. We tried to pull it over with my winch, but no going. I tow strap pulled the pickup over and it was able to complete the day without issues.

Back on the trail, and having a good time! :bounce:

Nothing against the Toyota brand. If they had pickups similar to this one on the lot with an I6/V6 engine, locking differentials, 4:1, Dana 44/60 axles, A/C, manual shift, no Birfield joints, and a STRAIGHT LIVE AXLE FRONTEND, I would have strongly considered one.

Instead, I chose a Jeep product and I have been very pleased. I only had a few issues that were remedied. 120Kmi, and I'm driving the Jeep daily at the moment with no issues.

Ken Cooke - 2-18-2011 at 07:48 PM

My Rubicon dealing with a steep climb.

The other Rubicon out for the day did great.

ONLY IN BAJA!

TheBajaKid - 2-18-2011 at 07:52 PM

Nice pics. you could have done a SAS on new Tacoma:P
I hear you on the driving off the lot in a more capable rig, but once you put on aftermarket parts for performance its not a rig you drove off the lot.
Nice rigs

[Edited on 2-19-2011 by TheBajaKid]

Ken Cooke - 2-18-2011 at 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBajaKid
Nice pics. you could have done a SAS on new Tacoma:P
I hear you on the driving off the lot in a more capable rig, but once you put on aftermarket parts for performance its not a rig you drove off the lot.

In 2003, I just didn't have the money. I had the ability to 'sign' for a vehicle, but there was very little buildup cash on-hand. I sold the Forged 16x8" Tomb Raider-edition Alcoas to a guy in Canada and the 31" tires to aid in the buildup (along with my Ford Ranger 4x4 truck). An SAS would have set me back an easy $4K - with cheap leaf springs. King coilovers and a 4 link? Way out of my budget.

TheBajaKid - 2-18-2011 at 08:04 PM

Mine too but i like to dream. 4links are fancy!
I wont give up the ride of my ifs on my 04
so i got a 80' all Marlin Crawlered out!

Ken Cooke - 2-18-2011 at 09:24 PM

Quote:
Mine too but i like to dream. 4links are fancy!
I wont give up the ride of my ifs on my 04
so i got a 80' all Marlin Crawlered out!

I drove a Ford Ranger with a TTB frontend, and no matter how much I tried to extend the wheel travel, it could not compete with a Jeep on the trail. I was running Jeep CJ swaybar disconnects, it chewed through RS9000 shock bushings daily, it had a nice Rancho 2.5" lift, 33s, 4.56 gearing, 2" body lift, but the thing just could not handle what I threw at it. The Rubicon does perfectly under all circumstances. It is a solid platform that after 7 years, I am completely amazed with.

My wife now caught the 'wheeling bug, and we're going up in the snow on Sunday and she can't wait for the Baja Grande event in April. Camping, music, food, drink, and Baja!

David K - 2-18-2011 at 09:51 PM

Nice morning photo of your camp on Shell Island, Ken!

racheldarlin - 2-19-2011 at 07:54 AM

Great "off-road" photo essay Ken. That is what I was hoping for from the original post. Man and Beast overcoming obstacles.

4x4abc - 2-19-2011 at 08:06 AM

all I see is man and machine driving poorly
tearing up the ground is not treading lightly

The Jeep Rubicon has 2 lockers - if not used properly, tires will spin and dig holes:

Big Difference when you look at the competition

Ken Cooke - 2-19-2011 at 09:41 AM

Quote:
all I see is man and machine driving poorly
tearing up the ground is not treading lightly

The Jeep Rubicon has 2 lockers - if not used properly, tires will spin and dig holes:

When you look at the vehicles with larger tires traveling over the same loose route, you can see that the Rubicons actually tackling the terrain much more smoothly...

It was a great day on the trail! :bounce:

Ducks - 2-19-2011 at 10:09 AM

I'm a n00b here. How do I unsubscribe to this ridiculous thread? I really appreciate Harald's comments but I pretty much can't stand the rest.

Cheers,
Chad

Ken Cooke - 2-19-2011 at 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ducks
I'm a n00b here. How do I unsubscribe to this ridiculous thread? I really appreciate Harald's comments but I pretty much can't stand the rest.

Cheers,
Chad

Chad - These are all valid points being raised about trail usage from a uniquely Baja perspective!

TheBajaKid - 2-19-2011 at 10:45 AM

Im with Ken

Hey Chad if you dont like it dont read it. Or you can always unsubscribe yourself
from Baja nomad, after all you cant stand anyone but Harald.
and 4x4abc I doubt you could make kens climb look any easier and not spin a tire

Ducks - 2-19-2011 at 10:59 AM

WOW. You guys take the cake. I am interested in Baja not who has the bigger junk. I was interested in Harald's off-road expeditions but that is not what this thread is about any more. If you don't know how to unsubscribe to a thread, then why do you attack me? Are you so insecure? Is the forum software so outdated that you can't unsubscribe? I keep getting email in my inbox about this thread and this thread is not about Baja but about who has the bigger junk. Why don't you start a thread in Chat instead of wasting people's time here?

mtgoat666 - 2-19-2011 at 12:24 PM

Quote:

My Rubicon dealing with a steep climb.

The other Rubicon out for the day did great.

ONLY IN BAJA!

this is not treading lightly, it is total disrespect for environment. this is classic example of why off road knuckle draggers are irresponsible and should be stopped at all costs.
a bunch of people standing around while watching people repeatedly drive over obstacles and tear up the ground.
do it on your own private land - don't do it on public lands.

[Edited on 2-19-2011 by mtgoat666]

mtgoat666 - 2-19-2011 at 12:28 PM

Quote:
The Toyota '80s vintage pickup is very capable of abuse. We went out with Tom from Baja Crawlers and the rest of the Baja Crawlers club to Tecate for some rock crawling, and the pickup proved its merits.

Tecate, BCN

Tom standing next to his pickup! LOL

Me smiling next to Tom's pickup. We tried to pull it over with my winch, but no going. I tow strap pulled the pickup over and it was able to complete the day without issues.

Back on the trail, and having a good time! :bounce:

Nothing against the Toyota brand. If they had pickups similar to this one on the lot with an I6/V6 engine, locking differentials, 4:1, Dana 44/60 axles, A/C, manual shift, no Birfield joints, and a STRAIGHT LIVE AXLE FRONTEND, I would have strongly considered one.

why are you posting pics of marooons driving off the adjacent roads?
this is classic example of why all off roading should be banned from public lands.
marooons that use their cars to leave paths solely for purpose of doing stupid tricks with their cars with no regard for damage to land.

Im comming down

TheBajaKid - 2-19-2011 at 01:22 PM

hey goat i bet you dont call me a knuckle dragger or a marooon to my face

[Edited on 2-19-2011 by TheBajaKid]

Barry A. - 2-19-2011 at 01:31 PM

"There you go again", Goat-------stuck in elitist selfish-opinion mode condeming others.

What's with that? :?:

Barry

4x4abc - 2-19-2011 at 02:37 PM

Quote:
Im with Ken

Hey Chad if you dont like it dont read it. Or you can always unsubscribe yourself
from Baja nomad, after all you cant stand anyone but Harald.
and 4x4abc I doubt you could make kens climb look any easier and not spin a tire

I know I can make it look easier and I can make it look elegant.

At least most who have seen me drive think that way:
http://blogs.fourwheeler.com/6571044/miscellaneous/meet-hara...

"Harald does have zen-like driving skills. He has mastered the "slow as possible" part to a degree I have never seen in the field. " - Scott Brady on ExpeditionPortal forum.

Its my job to make mission impossible - well, possible. So I know how to reduce stress on the vehicle and hurt Mother Nature.

4x4abc - 2-19-2011 at 02:44 PM

I am totally with Mr. or Mrs. Goat - ask around and everybody is for treading lightly, few have a clue what that actually is.

Barry A. - 2-19-2011 at 02:55 PM

Judging by those pictures posted by Ken, I just don't see any "mass resource destruction" that is any worse than a herd of goats passing thru. The land will recover, and it is not in a National Park.

Yes, TREAD LIGHTLY is very a important concept, and the majority of folks believe in it, and understand it, I know, but taking it too far---to extremes--- simply detracts from the purpose of the slogan, and tends to anger people, at least it does to me. Lets be reasonable about this, and I am betting we will achieve much better results, it seems to me. We all see things somewhat differently.

Barry

4x4abc - 2-19-2011 at 03:01 PM

Barry,

you see TreadLightly like many see the 10 commandments - as a recommendation. Nothing wrong with a little cheating here and there.

TreadLightly yes, but what's a little destruction every now and then?

wessongroup - 2-19-2011 at 03:04 PM

Was never able to get into 4 x 4 off roading, had an old 3/4 Dodge I used for cutting wood with a tailer and racks on the truck.. but, did have a 250 ..dirt bike..

I could just ride around on the property, or just jump on the street (with my son on the tank holding on to the "bars" and ride... there were all kinds of places.. wasn't for the street just in the dirt..

When we moved back down to Southern California, after being in the Central Valley ... was shocked, the first time I put the bike in the Dodge and took off over to Lake Elsinore... there was any places to just ride anymore.. ended up driving all the way to Plaster City for a place just to unload and ride the stupid thing... ended up getting rid of it... as it became a full day trip or more.. just to go for a ride..

Would imagine it must be the same with off wheeling too, as a friend of mine had take his Jeep which had a Buick engine, over to Lake Elsinore and driving off road, just before we moved north to the Central Valley... in the mid 70's

Ya must have a hard time finding ANY place "close by" to use the vehicle as much as one would want... IMHO

Thanks for all the pictures.. just great... and I would be crying if rolled something that nice... just me ...

4x4abc - 2-19-2011 at 03:04 PM

Quote:
When you look at the vehicles with larger tires traveling over the same loose route, you can see that the Rubicons actually tackling the terrain much more smoothly...

I don't see a difference between the driving style of the TJ Rubicon and the YJ.

Barry A. - 2-19-2011 at 03:23 PM

The TJ is radically spinning it's tires------------the Rubicon, with lockers fore and aft, is barely spinning a tire-------more damage with the TJ, in this case, and possibly poor driving technique.

TREAD LIGHTLY is a recommendation, an instructional tool, an alert to a problem, not a command. Excessive resource destruction is a violation of law, and when on Federal Land a violation of Fed. law with serious consequences. If Law Enforcement went about enforcing the TREAD LIGHTLY message as if it were law then the message would be totally lost on many simply out of frustration and rebellion, which citizens are often known to display when they think that a law is being enforced in a silly way. LE pounds folks that do serious resource destruction, but does not make it impossible for folks to use the Public lands at all----------it's all subjective.

Like everything, we need to be reasonable when passing judgement on others, IMO, less we simply become totally polarized.

Barry

4x4abc - 2-19-2011 at 04:07 PM

Both, Jeep YJ and Jeep TJ Rubicon show spinning front right tires.

Judging from the pictures, the Jeep TJ Rubicon has a spinning front right tire due to not using the front locker.
We don't know whether the Jeep YJ has after market lockers or not. So they are either not engaged or not present.

Not engaging a locker where it is indicated is poor driving (plus it creates more stress on the rear axle - more stress = more carnage)

Barry A. - 2-19-2011 at 04:15 PM

Quote:

Judging from the pictures, the Jeep TJ Rubicon has a spinning front right tire due to not using the front locker.
We don't know whether the Jeep YJ has after market lockers or not. So they are either not engaged or not present.

Not engaging a locker where it is indicated is poor driving (plus it creates more stress on the rear axle - more stress = more carnage)

Totally agree. :spingrin:

Barry

Ejido land used as rock quarry for Ensenada Bay

Ken Cooke - 2-19-2011 at 07:33 PM

Quote:

Both front and rear lockers were engaged on both Rubicons, but the loose surface (dirt) still caused the aired-down tires to spin. The less impact by spinning tires, the less liklihood that axle and drivetrain components will become damaged.

If you think this land is damaged, Goat - you need to tour the other side of the adjacent land that was used to gather boulders for Ensenada Bay. :!:

mtgoat666 - 2-19-2011 at 08:06 PM

Quote:
If you think this land is damaged, Goat - you need to tour the other side of the adjacent land that was used to gather boulders for Ensenada Bay. :!:

that is not an excuse. 2 wrongs don't make a right. the pics are perfect evidence of crime against nature. bunch a yahoos standing around while people drive over obstacles for kicks. i know the type, they think spinning tires, dust clouds and flinging dirt/mud is one of primary goals of a day off roading.
knuckledraggers.
cave men.
*ssholes.
there are no polite words for stupid *sses.
there are so many knuckledraggers in so cal that you can no longer find but a few desert places that are not scarred.

Barry A. - 2-19-2011 at 08:30 PM

Gross exageration, Goat. I just spent a week in the central and east Mojave, and it was beautiful. Hardly anybody seen, and tons of pristine desert lands. Did not see one "knuckle dragger".

Perhaps you need to get out and take another look. :rolleyes:

Barry

Ken Cooke - 2-19-2011 at 08:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:

that is not an excuse. 2 wrongs don't make a right. the pics are perfect evidence of crime against nature. bunch a yahoos standing around while people drive over obstacles for kicks. i know the type, they think spinning tires, dust clouds and flinging dirt/mud is one of primary goals of a day off roading.
knuckledraggers.
cave men.
*ssholes.
there are no polite words for stupid *sses.
there are so many knuckledraggers in so cal that you can no longer find but a few desert places that are not scarred.

The guy standing beside the Jeeps as they attempted this obstacle was our SPOTTER. His job was to tell us what was working and where to climb up. Does this make him a KNUCKLEDRAGGER??

Explain what a KNUCKLEDRAGGER is, exactly?

TheBajaKid - 2-19-2011 at 08:55 PM

mtgoat cant see cause hes got his head too far up his ars.
And I laugh at abc. Mr. 4x4 with all his knowledge. HEY! abc so you know you can still spin tires with a locked axle

Ken Cooke - 2-19-2011 at 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBajaKidAnd I laugh at abc. Mr. 4x4 with all his knowledge. HEY! abc so you know you can still spin tires with a locked axle

Broken drivetrain parts in Baja can literally leave you high and dry.:!:

There is nothing wrong with someone who EDUCATES proper 4WD usage in the field. I am sure he provides a great service that many of us would benefit from participating in.

4x4abc - 2-19-2011 at 11:44 PM

Quote:
mtgoat cant see cause hes got his head too far up his ars.
And I laugh at abc. Mr. 4x4 with all his knowledge. HEY! abc so you know you can still spin tires with a locked axle

yes, of course I know you can still spin tires with a locked axle - we call that bad driving. Its brutal driving, definitely not treading lightly. Its fun though - very entertaining. I love videos with dust flying and axles snapping.

Seriously - too much air in the tires and too much gas by the driver will spin any tire. Locked or not. So, less air and less gas (take a Valium on occasion) will get you over obstacles you haven't even attempted yet.

http://www.rubicon-trail.com/Rubicon/gatekeeper.html

David K - 2-19-2011 at 11:46 PM

I had fun today, four wheeling... Not my usual style of four wheeling, but was out with a dozen other Tacomas, and it was good!

Ken Cooke - 2-19-2011 at 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 4x4abcSeriously - too much air in the tires and too much gas by the driver will spin any tire. Locked or not.

The downside to too little air is the possiblity of bent rims.

15 p.s.i. - Dirt

10 p.s.i. - Rocks and/or Sand

4x4abc - 2-19-2011 at 11:54 PM

Quote:

15 p.s.i. - Dirt

haven't had a bent rim in 25 years - neither have any of my clients. A bent rim indicates again that you the driver are doing something dramatically wrong.

Ken Cooke - 2-19-2011 at 11:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:

15 p.s.i. - Dirt

haven't had a bent rim in 25 years - neither have any of my clients. A bent rim indicates again that you the driver are doing something dramatically wrong.

The Jeep was overloaded while traveling overland, and the tire pressure was too low. I keep tire pressure at about 20 p.s.i. when traveling overland, and I watch the speed on dirt roads and Baja trails.

David K - 2-20-2011 at 12:03 AM

Limited Slip, Traction Control, Active Traction Control, and Lockers should all be used to AVOID spinning tires as much as possible if not entirely... The motive is to move your rig... spinning digs holes and makes it worse for the next guy.

Ken Cooke - 2-20-2011 at 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Limited Slip, Traction Control, Active Traction Control, and Lockers should all be used to AVOID spinning tires as much as possible if not entirely... The motive is to move your rig... spinning digs holes and makes it worse for the next guy.

Agreed. Brad's Rubicon tackled this obstacle with front and rear locking differentials in 4low.

This section would give any stock TRD Tacoma pickup a run for its' money.

TheBajaKid - 2-20-2011 at 11:30 AM

Abc all your hype and videos on the Rubicon dont impress me, you can drive stock Rigs down the Rubi all day.

And without duel cases or a marlin crawlbox , somtimes you cant get around not putting your foot down.

TMW - 2-23-2011 at 09:38 AM

I came up the Compadre trail from hwy 3 to Rancho Santa Veronica to Tacate Monday. Lots of water in the road and snow up to 5 inches at the highest elevations, looked like DKs picture above. Fun drive only one truck on the road and a couple of bikers.

4x4abc - 2-23-2011 at 10:15 AM

Quote:

Ken,

you are right, it looks like both front and rear wheels are slipping at the same speed. Meaning, both front and rear lockers were indeed on.
However, the fact that they were slipping indicates something was not right. Too much air in the tires and/or too much speed.
Both are very common.

Ken Cooke - 2-23-2011 at 08:29 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Ken,

you are right, it looks like both front and rear wheels are slipping at the same speed. Meaning, both front and rear lockers were indeed on.
However, the fact that they were slipping indicates something was not right. Too much air in the tires and/or too much speed.
Both are very common.

The tire pressure was perhaps 20# p.s.i.

This section of trail was a bear. I also had both front and rear axles locked, and it took me a few tries. My tire pressure was about 12 p.s.i.

4x4abc - 2-23-2011 at 09:18 PM

20 psi is way too much for those small tires for this kind of challenge. 12 would be more appropriate (on a 35" tire). On those small stock tires I would have chosen 8-10.
On extremely steep climbs like the one one depicted, it is a good idea to deflate the front tires to about 50% of the rear pressure. Like 12/6 for rear/front. Reason is that the change of center of gravity lightens the front dramatically (severe loss of traction with equal tire pressure)

Ken Cooke - 2-23-2011 at 09:53 PM

Brad's tires were LT305r16's (33") in size. My front tires (33") spun and barked on the smooth rock face because there was very little weight on the frontend. I will remember this in the future.

4x4abc - 2-23-2011 at 11:47 PM

33" tires on 16" wheels do not have a sufficient volume of air for the kind of 4-wheeling you did.
More air volume gives you a wider spectrum of psi and still maintain a tall enough sidewall to keep the rim safe.
If the brake size allows it, a 15" wheel would be better with 33" tires - 35" would be best for the weight of the TJ. But then of course you need to adjust R&P (same is true for 33" tires). If you don't, you don't have adequate torque at slow speed to climb. Momentum is almost never the solution.

4x4abc - 2-26-2011 at 10:09 AM

here is the trip report

David K - 2-26-2011 at 10:20 AM

Great photos... super job of repairing those ranch roads, as the government would never do it!:light:

I see your fingers got worn down (from all those bottles of Pacifico, no doubt! :yes::O)

I would like to see a map of your route... is that possible... email if you don't want to publish it here? info*at*vivabaja.com

Barry A. - 2-26-2011 at 10:58 AM

Really excellent pictures-------you guys done good!!!! What a great trip, with great vehicles. Reminds me of the "old days" in Baja----good to see that those types of trips are still possible and being done by the intrepid few.

Barry

That is what I tell *everybody*

Ken Cooke - 2-26-2011 at 11:03 AM

Quote:
33" tires on 16" wheels do not have a sufficient volume of air for the kind of 4-wheeling you did.
More air volume gives you a wider spectrum of psi and still maintain a tall enough sidewall to keep the rim safe.
If the brake size allows it, a 15" wheel would be better with 33" tires - 35" would be best for the weight of the TJ. But then of course you need to adjust R&P (same is true for 33" tires). If you don't, you don't have adequate torque at slow speed to climb. Momentum is almost never the solution.

I sold my 16" wheels and went to 15" wheels since a Load C tire is much more compliant than a Load E one for the size of this vehicle.

With the Wrangler Rubicon, a 33" Tire is fine in conjunction with 4.10 ring & pinion gearing. This has been my configuration for the past 7 years with my '03 1/2 Rubicon. We also have 4:1 low-range gearing built into our transfer cases to provide extra low-range torque. That is the benefit of the Wrangler Rubicon package over comparable 4WDs on the market today!

Great photos from 10 yrs ago, Harald! I really enjoyed these Pole Line photos you published long ago...
http://www.baja101.com/104/32.html

[Edited on 2-26-2011 by Ken Cooke]

4x4abc - 2-26-2011 at 11:41 AM

Ken,

rule of thumb for excellent climbing ability is that you have and 80:1 crawl ratio with 35" tires
75:1 crawl ratio with 33" tires
70:1 crawl ratio with 31" tires

however, if you don't air down your tires sufficiently (and most drivers don't) your crawl ratio does not help you much - it only makes your tires slip earlier.

more here

and here

Not Bad!

Ken Cooke - 2-26-2011 at 11:59 AM

Quote:
Ken,

rule of thumb for excellent climbing ability is that you have and 80:1 crawl ratio with 35" tires
75:1 crawl ratio with 33" tires

Here are some specs on my "Baja Jeeper"
Type: 5-speed manual overdrive
Model: NVG 3550
Ratios: First: 4.04:1; Second: 2.33:1; Third: 1.38:1; Fourth: 1.00:1; Fifth: 0.78; Reverse: 3.57:1
Transfer Case
Type: 2-speed, part-time
Model: NVG 241J
Low-Range Ratio: 4.0:1

Crawl Ratio = 4.04:1x4.0:1x4.10:1
Crawl Ratio = 66.256:1

Driving the Pole Line Road, 2007 :bounce:

4x4abc - 2-26-2011 at 12:11 PM

Ken,

get 4.88:1 diff gears and 35" tires and you will have the biggest grin on your face - all day long. The difference is stunning.

Ken Cooke - 2-26-2011 at 12:15 PM

Quote:
Ken,

get 4.88:1 diff gears and 35" tires and you will have the biggest grin on your face - all day long. The difference is stunning.

That is the plan I have at the moment. My 33" tires are reaching their extent of their usefulness and I have been contemplating this upgrade for a few years.

I plan on running the Goodyear MTR/K tires as well.

4x4abc - 2-26-2011 at 12:24 PM

I have run MTR and BFG KM2 parallel on several of my vehicles.
Traction and noise are equal. At frequent low pressures the MTR last 2 years less than the BFG (the MTR fail structurally with 40% tread still left).
And no, I am not sponsored - I buy my own tires.

racheldarlin - 2-27-2011 at 07:53 AM

4X4

Very nice photo essay. Please do post the route so every other wannabe off roader with a mall crawler can enjoy the outbacks of Baja.

Stihl and Tru-Temper "Don't off road without them"

4x4abc - 2-27-2011 at 08:06 AM

sorry to disappoint you guys - I will not publish the route. Part of any adventure is the search and locating of hidden treasures. If you set your mind to it you will find "This Old Road".
BCS, 55 miles east-west, what more would you need. I'll offer a bottle of the best Don Julio for the first one who brings proof (GPS track) of traveling the entire route (Pacific to Sea of Cortez).

If you only travel to take the same pictures you have already seen in a travel guide, you are missing most of the fun away from home.

Be your own Columbus!

[Edited on 2-27-2011 by 4x4abc]

Pages:  1  2