BajaNomad

QUESTION ABOUT TIRES

Pages:  1  2

Ken Cooke - 1-16-2012 at 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
they gave me credit for my BFGs out the door with the warranty
$743.45

Question: Did you receive a credit for your BFGs because of useful tread-life, because you bought Falken-brand tires, or because this is a general policy at Discount Tire?

My current set of Interco TrXus MTs are down to the legal wear-bars and with 4 1/2 yrs of use are ready for replacement. Thanks.

desertcpl - 1-16-2012 at 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:
$743.45

Question: Did you receive a credit for your BFGs because of useful tread-life, because you bought Falken-brand tires, or because this is a general policy at Discount Tire?

My current set of Interco TrXus MTs are down to the legal wear-bars and with 4 1/2 yrs of use are ready for replacement. Thanks.

actually it was a bit of both, I did have usuful tread life remaining on the BFGs, the first time I went in he quoted me a price and then when I went back I got another quote, so we went back and forth, thats when he came up with the credit for my BFGs, to bring down the price to my first quote

David K - 1-16-2012 at 03:19 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I will be interested in hearing how they do in sand... where I do the majority of my off roading.

There is some chatter at Tacomaworld.com:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/product-reviews/123230-new-...

Here is a poll on Tacoma World... Now, it doesn't mean anything bad for say... it is just the Hankooks have been around a lot longer and more people have them (and like them):

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/wheels-tires/197261-hankook...

Ken Cooke - 1-16-2012 at 03:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I will be interested in hearing how they do in sand... where I do the majority of my off roading.

There is some chatter at Tacomaworld.com:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/product-reviews/123230-new-...

Here is a poll on Tacoma World... Now, it doesn't mean anything bad for say... it is just the Hankooks have been around a lot longer and more people have them (and like them):

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/wheels-tires/197261-hankook...

I just don't see much marketing of the Hankook tires. I'm sure they are a great choice, though.

I was given a Falken t-shirt from the representative at the Off-Road Expo and he told me that their Rocky Mountain tire is a well-rounded tire for most uses and works very well off-road. You should read their pamplet which is a collection of magazine reviews from JP Magazine, FOURWHEELER, Four Wheel Drive and Sport Utility, and Off Road Magazine.

David K - 1-16-2012 at 03:55 PM

Those magazines are where I read high reviews of the Hankook brand (for their MT tire, which beat ALL other mud terrain tires tested... to the amazement of the staff writers).

Anyway, I have the Dynapros on now, it has done excellent for a 'cheap' tire in mud, snow, sand, desert... and mainly QUIET on the highway! It was so many positive reviews on Tacoma World and personal observation on Tacoma runs that pretty much swayed me to try them.

They have 14,000 miles on them... and I expect to put close to 35,000 before I replace them (they are a 50,000 mile tire, but nothing has lasted that long yet)...

David K - 1-16-2012 at 04:27 PM

Here you guys go... just about every off road/ truck tire pictured:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/wheels-tires/38333-tires-ti...

Hook - 1-16-2012 at 04:32 PM

I bought some Falken Rocky Mtn ATS tires for my Wrangler about 18 months ago. Bought them at a Discount Tire in Oregon as I was passing through to avoid sales tax.

I knew nothing about them as I was hoping to buy some Duelers or something (not BFGs, of course!:spingrin: ) but they were out. The salesman HIGHLY recommeded the Falkens and they were "only" about 130/tire. I remember them being about 30 dollars per tire less than what I was looking for.

I'm REALLY happy with them. Great in sand, gravel and on the hwy. Havent had them in deep mud but our mud over here is pretty high in clay content and nothing works well in that.

Looks like I'll get at least 50k out of them and we are generally running these at around 23-25 psi to smooth out the dirt roads around here. I drive about 65/35 pavement to dirt.

I have noticed that the siping doesnt go all the way down to the wear bars like on my Michelin LTX-MS2 tires, but Michelin is pretty famous for good siping.

[Edited on 1-16-2012 by Hook]

norte - 1-17-2012 at 08:27 AM

A quote from another thread about someone else that applies here as well.

"You have one of those manners of stating your opinion as if it were fact, indeed, infallible. When someone points out that it isn't always correct (as I did in this thread with regards to your Spanish abilities), you can be counted on to go on the offensive (as you did here) instead of taking the time to do a little research to see if, perhaps, you were wrong. You'd be amazed at how refreshing life can be if you aren't burdened with the silly notion that you can never be wrong. And a side bonus to such admissions of imperfections is that people will like you more."

Quote:
Quote:
DK

I learned about you on other subjects here on Nomads

that you take the high road and that if you dont agree with some one else, you are always right, no room for some ones else opition or input
I am glad you think the Hankook tires are the best, as knowing you, that is what you think is best tire for you,
just maybe other tires might be okay also or better

I don't own Falkens, so I can't talk much about them... I didn't know this was a Falken only thread... I thought it was for us Nomads to discuss tires we have used for possible purchase.

I am sorry my discussing the brands I have used (not just Hankooks) is somehow believed to be anything but helpful to all who may wish to hear about tires for small trucks.

Please accept my apology for coming across different than intended. Best of luck with your purchase.

TMW - 1-17-2012 at 02:51 PM

I just noticed my neighbor across the street has Hancook tires on his new Ford. They are not the ATMs DK has but Hancook never the less. I wonder if Ford is now using them on their new trucks. I'll ask him when I can if it came from the dealer that way.

bajabass - 1-18-2012 at 06:49 AM

Hankooks have been coming O.E. on some Ford trucks for a few years now. They also use them on the fire trucks in Orange, CA. The tread pattern on their standard AT reminds me of the Bridgestone Dueller Revo, which I have on my Tundra and love.

Bob and Susan - 1-18-2012 at 07:00 AM

hankooks are probably a good tire but the ONLY reason ford is using them is because they are CHEAP!!!

american made tires are more expensive...its all about profit...:saint:

bajabass - 1-18-2012 at 07:20 AM

Very, very true!! If they meet the spec and save a buck or two, that is what you get.

desertcpl - 1-31-2012 at 12:07 PM

Quote:
Well just an update on what I just did

after shopping all over Yuma, I ended up at Discount Tire

I bought the Falken , Rocky mountain tire

LT265/70R 16 D,, it also has 3 ply side walls

$743.45

[Edited on 1-14-2012 by desertcpl]

a little update on my new tires, as some here was wanting to here from me

first is I really like them on the HWy, they track really nice and quiet

took them off road for the first time yesterday, rock and some sand,, must say they did really well , so far I am very happy with them, I am thinking about taking a longer trip to a mine next week, the red cloud mine up above Martinez Lake

wessongroup - 1-31-2012 at 12:27 PM

Thanks much... really good timing for me... thinking about it ...

David K - 1-31-2012 at 07:01 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Well just an update on what I just did

after shopping all over Yuma, I ended up at Discount Tire

I bought the Falken , Rocky mountain tire

LT265/70R 16 D,, it also has 3 ply side walls

$743.45

[Edited on 1-14-2012 by desertcpl]

a little update on my new tires, as some here was wanting to here from me

first is I really like them on the HWy, they track really nice and quiet

took them off road for the first time yesterday, rock and some sand,, must say they did really well , so far I am very happy with them, I am thinking about taking a longer trip to a mine next week, the red cloud mine up above Martinez Lake

Great... keep testing them and letting us know! Maybe the next set I will switch from South Korea (Hankook) to Thailand (Falken) tires!

[Edited on 2-1-2012 by David K]

Ken Cooke - 1-31-2012 at 08:34 PM

I really considered an All-Terrain tire, but in 2001 I drove up the hill past Mike's Sky Rancho in my Ford Ranger and nearly slipped off the cliff.

Two reasons - I was running the BFGoodrich All-Terrain (pre KO) and the pickup didn't have traction-aiding differentials.

Driving around the boulder on the steep hillclimb, my spotter nearly lost her breath as she saw my tires spinning as I rounded the boulder. This happened with a different vehicle, but has anyone traveled this route with All-Terrain tires and not experience tire slippage?

TMW - 1-31-2012 at 09:11 PM

Ken I've been in and out and all around Mike's Sky Ranch in both directions with BFG TA KO tires on my Toyota and my GMC Z71 with out any problems. Maybe it's a Jeep thing.

Ken Cooke - 1-31-2012 at 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Ken I've been in and out and all around Mike's Sky Ranch in both directions with BFG TA KO tires on my Toyota and my GMC Z71 with out any problems. Maybe it's a Jeep thing.

The pickup is pictured here at the same build level. 33" BFGoodrich ATs, 2.5" Rancho lift, 2" Performance Accessories Body Lift, 4.56 gearing.

This pickup almost spun out and I wasn't doing anything crazy behind the wheel. :!: Tires were aired down to 20 psi all around. Just gives me pause at the thought of this happening again, that's all.

Roberto - 2-2-2012 at 08:21 PM

If you think the tires caused the near spin out, let me take you for a ride on my four ton F350 sometime. No spinouts, mut you might want to take some Imodium if you decide to come. :lol::lol:

Rocky Mountain/Wild Peaks at King of the Hammers on Friday

Ken Cooke - 2-7-2012 at 10:00 PM

David K - 2-8-2012 at 09:54 AM

Thanks Ken... impressive video.

Big *ALKEN Thread!

Ken Cooke - 2-11-2012 at 10:42 PM

The JeepForum guys are going back and forth over the OVERALL win for Falken Wild Peak ATs at the King of the Hammers Every Man Challenge.

link: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/falken-wildpeaks-koh-toug...

David K - 2-11-2012 at 10:46 PM

The Falkens they are pushing at Discount Tires don't look like those... so I am guessing the Rocky Mountains and Wild Peaks (once said to be the same) are different (or are different now)?

No, same tire

Ken Cooke - 2-11-2012 at 10:50 PM

Quote:
The Falkens they are pushing at Discount Tires don't look like those... so I am guessing the Rocky Mountains and Wild Peaks (once said to be the same) are different (or are different now)?

These tires were modified using a tire grooving iron.

David K - 2-12-2012 at 09:27 AM

Quote:
Quote:

These tires were modified using a tire grooving iron.

Serious?? That sure doesn't speak well of a tire company promoting a tire on their company Jeep that isn't even made or needs to be so seriously modified... meaning the ones they sell won't work. All those repeating squares were hand made onto the tire Ken, really? wow

TMW - 2-12-2012 at 01:37 PM

DK BFG does it too. The winning tire on the Trophy Trucks and class one buggies is the Baja T/A where as the most popular tire sold to the truck public is the All-Terrain KO. The smaller classes use the KO too but they are not overalling the race. Beside if your paying out of pocket it's cheaper. I'd have to look at a T/A but the KO says it's a Baja Champion. I don't think I've ever seen a T/A on a street vehicle but maybe that's because the smallest you can buy is a 33 inch tire.

David K - 2-12-2012 at 06:47 PM

Tom, it is the brand name 'Wild Peak' (shown on the video I posted) that I thought was the same tire as the 'Rocky Mountain', both by Falken... Either that has changed or the tire shown on that Jeep is neither, or custom made, as Ken says...?

The Baja TA is the racing tire, not DOT approved for highway use... I knew. I think only General makes a DOT approved tire that looks almost identicle to their racing tire... The Grabber (with red letters).

Ken Cooke - 2-12-2012 at 07:03 PM

Quote:
Tom, it is the brand name 'Wild Peak' (shown on the video I posted) that I thought was the same tire as the 'Rocky Mountain', both by Falken... Either that has changed or the tire shown on that Jeep is neither, or custom made, as Ken says...?

I don't know why, but the Wild Peak AND the Rocky Mountain are both the same tires by the same company.

rts551 - 2-12-2012 at 07:06 PM

Quote:

The Baja TA is the racing tire, not DOT approved for highway use... I knew. I think only General makes a DOT approved tire that looks almost identicle to their racing tire... The Grabber (with red letters).

I believe it is

Brand name Falcon with models Rocky Mountain and Wild Peak
and where did you get that they don't work?

Ken Cooke - 2-12-2012 at 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Brand name Falcon with models Rocky Mountain and Wild Peak

Discount Tires sells the Rocky Mountain ATS, and all other retailers sell the Wild Peak. That's straight from the horses mouth.

link: http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.php?137436-Falken-wild-pe...

TMW - 2-13-2012 at 12:28 PM

I heard BFG is cutting back on their off road sponsorship. A lot of racers that use to get free tires will have to pay for them or go elsewhere. Also I heard BJ Ballwin left General and I think he went to Toyo.

Roberto - 2-21-2012 at 07:16 PM

Quote:

FYI - that's not entirely true. There is more than one Baja T/A. The racers get a "special" version, and it does not have a DOT number on it. You can buy another version, based on that one, that does have the DOT # on it. I think it retails for about $800/tire.

The retail version is Kevlar-belted, at last word. The racing tire ... who knows.

At least that's my understanding - but what do I know, I'm not a racer.

[Edited on 2-22-2012 by Roberto]

The Baja TA

Ken Cooke - 2-21-2012 at 09:20 PM

The BFG Baja TA

Roberto - 2-22-2012 at 03:04 PM

I've never run the tires myself. I have been in a group where people were running them, however. One of the interesting things is that, looking at the tire, you really wouldn't think it to have any exceptional off-road traction. But, that's not true at all. These tires grab much better than other tires with a much deeper tread. Guess BFG has learned a thing or two.

David K - 2-22-2012 at 06:50 PM

Thanks Roberto and Ken... I didn't know there was a highway legal Baja T/A.

Ken Cooke - 2-22-2012 at 08:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks Roberto and Ken... I didn't know there was a highway legal Baja T/A.

I have been running Mexican-made Interco tires for the past several years, and they don't have DOT numbers, but are highway legal here in the United States.

The Baja T/A is good for running through washes at high rates of speed, but very little else. So, don't feel bad that you are not running them. I wouldn't have any use for them judged by my latest trip this past President's Day Weekend in Twentynine Palms.

Bob driving w/BFG AT/KO's did fine in this mud hole - believe it or not!

Roberto - 2-22-2012 at 09:31 PM

You're right - they are not Jeep tires, and not made for crawling. But, it would be a mistake to think they are good only for running through washes at high speed. They are a superior general purpose desert tire, that does superbly at high speed.

Trust me. I think you would be amazed if you could see these in action up close and personal.

FOURWHEELER April 2012 Tire Guide exerpt

Ken Cooke - 2-22-2012 at 10:51 PM

..."BFGoodrich Baja T/A
The BFG Baja T/A is purely a desert survivability tire. It's not about trail traction, flexibility, or light weight. The Baja T/A is built to stay in one piece and hit rocks at 120 mph while under a 6,000 pound, 800 hp, sand-blasting ball of fury known as a Trophy Truck. The Baja T/A features a virtually bombproof sidewall. There is also a full race-only version that's even stouter, but you'll have to be on the sponsored list to get a set of those. The BFG Baja T/A can roll down the street fairly smoothly, but the stiff sidewall can cause some flat-spotting on cold mornings. These are hand-built, purpose-bred tires that don't do much else than what they were designed for. They pack up in mud, don't flex enough or stick well to rocks and are worthless in snow and ice. But you can't beat 'em for high-speed desert use."

David K - 2-23-2012 at 09:13 AM

I have been very pleased with the much cheaper all terrain tires I am running now, Hankook Dynapro ATM/ RF10 (265/75-16).

What I like in such a tire is it to be quiet on the highway, plus good sand, snow and mud running.

Other truck/ SUV tires that passed this test include Toyo Open Country AT and Cooper Discoverer ATR.

PeeWee Tire

Ken Cooke - 2-23-2012 at 11:54 PM

Quote:
I have been very pleased with the much cheaper all terrain tires I am running now, Hankook Dynapro ATM/ RF10 (265/75-16).

What I like in such a tire is it to be quiet on the highway, plus good sand, snow and mud running.

Other truck/ SUV tires that passed this test include Toyo Open Country AT and Cooper Discoverer ATR.

The problem with the Hankook Dynapro is that it is only made up to 33" Diameter. This is a PeeWee all terrain tire. At least the Falken comes in enthusiast sizes. :!:

Roberto - 2-24-2012 at 09:33 AM

Quote:
..."BFGoodrich Baja T/A
The BFG Baja T/A is purely a desert survivability tire. It's not about trail traction, flexibility, or light weight. The Baja T/A is built to stay in one piece and hit rocks at 120 mph while under a 6,000 pound, 800 hp, sand-blasting ball of fury known as a Trophy Truck. The Baja T/A features a virtually bombproof sidewall. There is also a full race-only version that's even stouter, but you'll have to be on the sponsored list to get a set of those. The BFG Baja T/A can roll down the street fairly smoothly, but the stiff sidewall can cause some flat-spotting on cold mornings. These are hand-built, purpose-bred tires that don't do much else than what they were designed for. They pack up in mud, don't flex enough or stick well to rocks and are worthless in snow and ice. But you can't beat 'em for high-speed desert use."

What are you going to believe, me or your lyin' eyes? :lol:

Seriously, I have personally seen different, but I'm not selling them, and have no dog in being right so believe what you will. If you check the speeds in a Baja race, the average is nowhere close to 120 mph, and a lot of the terrain is in other than high-speed washes.

David K - 2-24-2012 at 09:35 AM

I am running 32" Dynapro tires, no rub with my stock suspension.

To run taller tires I would need a lift... no money for that and since the only road I drive were a lift would prevent damage is the Mision Santa Maria run... and I already have damaged by rear bumper when the truck was new with 31" tires, no big need to spend $$ that I don't have just to run a taller tire.

I have a min. 9.5" of ground clearance now. That serves me well... at this time with 95% of my driving being on paved roads. I have just one vehicle that must do everything for me, not just for off road trips... That is why I have a truck that doesn't ever break down... I can't afford two!

Roberto - 2-24-2012 at 09:36 AM

Ken, have you ever tried the Krawler?

Ken Cooke - 2-24-2012 at 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
Ken, have you ever tried the Krawler?

I am moving up to a 35" Tire, but it will need to be a tire that can attain ~45K mi. like the Goodyear MTR/K. The Krawler like the bias Swamper TSL-SX would wear too quickly.

In fact, I ran the TSL-SX for 22K mi. before it was completely worn down. :o YES, EXPENSIVE!

This past weekend, my friend with MTR/Ks was again, UNSTOPPABLE. I have seen these tires work time and again to the point that I know these are right up my alley . If it wasn't for needing a Mud-Terrain tire, I would go with the Falken AT.

Mike's LJ Rubicon with a new set of Goodyear MTRs with Kevlar

David K - 2-24-2012 at 07:07 PM

That looks like the tire that CG (Chris) popped a rock through just 5 miles from Santa Ynez towards Mision Santa Maria...

[Edited on 2-25-2012 by David K]

Treadwright.com RETREADS (yikes!)

Ken Cooke - 2-24-2012 at 09:50 PM

Quote:
That looks like the tire that CG (Chris) popped a rock through just 5 miles from Santa Ynez towards Mision Santa Maria...

Those were retread tires with BFG sidewalls and imitation Goodyear treads.:o

Guard Dog (formerly MTG): The Guard Dog is an On/Off-Road Maximum Traction tire developed to meet the needs of pickup truck and sport utility vehicle drivers who desire the looks and performance associated with rugged, off-road driving. Guard Dog Combines a uniform center lug pattern for better wear with a wider and more open outer lug pattern for maximum off-road traction.

Kedge Grip: Our own unique blend of crushed (recycled) glass and crushed walnut shell particle blended into our full grade truck rubber. Kedge Grip acts in a twofold way; first the walnut shell is designed to come out leaving small (approximately 1 mm) size pits in the tread surface that will act as additional siping and create more traction edges to grip the road. The second is the crushed glass which is designed to stay in longer and create a gritty surface to help anchor you to the road. Does it really work? Don’t take our word for it, read some of the testimonials. Also, check out the 4Wheeler magazine (though under a different name that we are not allowed to use any longer due to trademark issues) in the August 2009 issue. They consistently had excellent results with our Kedge Grip.

MSRP: $145.00
Online Price: $135.00

wessongroup - 2-24-2012 at 10:25 PM

Are these possible ... going to check out what they cost.. just for fun

Thanks for the great pic's .. that is one steep "road" :lol::lol:

http://www.neatorama.com/2009/09/10/airless-tires-for-milita...

David K - 2-25-2012 at 12:46 PM

That is the road to and beyond Mision Santa Maria! The Widowmaker included!!

wessongroup - 2-25-2012 at 10:19 PM

Sent the Company an email ... asked if the could be purchased for "off road use" in Baja ..

Will be interested to hear what they have to say ...

Big time Defense Company ... locked up with DOD

Barry A. - 2-25-2012 at 10:52 PM

Those are one ugly tire!!!!!

Barry

'CG' plans on the Wild Peak!

Ken Cooke - 3-27-2012 at 06:49 PM

I spent the weekend with 'CG' and he discussed tire choice. His friend Tom (Club Zopilotos) is buying the BFG AT/KOs on his newly purchased Ford Explorer. In exchange, 'CG' will buy Wild Peak tires for this vehicle that he plans to use as his Baja Exploration vehicle.

TMW - 3-27-2012 at 08:09 PM

I just spent 4 days in Death Valley running Sperry Wash, Echo Canyon from the Nevada side, Titus Canyon and Goler wash by Barker Ranch (Charlie Mansons hideout) from the east side on a new set of BFG AT KO tires no problems. Even the Echo Canyon water falls could stop me.

Ken Cooke - 3-27-2012 at 08:23 PM

That sounds great, TW! I liked the street ride of the BFG AT/KOs, but the traction off-road - particularly in the swamp section of the Mission Impossible trail was lacking. Its all a compromise either way you go.

sd - 3-27-2012 at 08:34 PM

I have BFG all terrain tires on my 2007 2WD Toyota Highlander. They look great, lots of tread remaining. No serious off road use, maybe 3000 miles on nice dirt roads. I have 55,000 miles on these, one flat tire.
10,000 - 15,000 miles remaining I would guess. Worked well for me.

Ken Cooke - 3-27-2012 at 08:44 PM

I'm real eager to hear what CG thinks of the Wild Peak tires. His vehicle now has a set of BFG AT/KO tires which he is removing, because as he repeated throughout our conversation - "In Baja, you need a tire with a 3 ply sidewall. That's what I like about the Wild Peak - It has a 3 ply sidewall, and I like what I read about the tire on the JK Experience as well as in the magazines."

I can't wait to hear what he says about these tires. He has run everything from BFG Krawlers, to Interco IROC's to 2 Ply Pro-Comp X-Terrains, to retread GenWright tires. So, his opinion is golden with me regarding these tires.

Pacifico - 3-28-2012 at 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
Quote:

FYI - that's not entirely true. There is more than one Baja T/A. The racers get a "special" version, and it does not have a DOT number on it. You can buy another version, based on that one, that does have the DOT # on it. I think it retails for about $800/tire.

The retail version is Kevlar-belted, at last word. The racing tire ... who knows.

At least that's my understanding - but what do I know, I'm not a racer.

[Edited on 2-22-2012 by Roberto]

Very true, Roberto... there are a few different versions of the Baja T/A. Under the Baja T/A line, there are what they call "projects" that are the less agressive tread; some that are kevlar reinforced (KR) which is what a lot of the trophy trucks run, and they also make a DOT version that is not KR. There is also the more agressive tread which is still a Baja T/A (pictured below) that is not KR as well and has a DOT stamp on them. This is what I run. They are great except for when you pick up a piece of re-bar!!! :o:o:o

These are a great tire!!! Maybe not for the jeep crowd (rock crawling), but for buggies they are super reliable. I've put thousands of miles on Baja T/A's in Baja with only one major flat (above). Even still, it didn't go flat - it just had an annoying "thump" as the tire went around! :lol:

Maderita - 3-28-2012 at 12:35 PM

Quote:
...His vehicle now has a set of BFG AT/KO tires which he is removing, because as he repeated throughout our conversation - "In Baja, you need a tire with a 3 ply sidewall. ..."

Is that implying that the BFG AT/KO does not have 3 plies?
My understanding is that all BFG AT/KO's have 3 polyester plies. BFG coined their construction "Tri-Guard."
Just looked at my Jeep's 33"x12.5" BFG AT/KO's. Yes, 3 plies, embossed on the sidewall.
Of course, the number of plies doesn't tell the whole story; there are many variables.

Cypress - 3-28-2012 at 01:06 PM

Tires? No bigee! Anybody can get a flat tire. Have seen some dogs that will bite the sidewall and flatten a tire.:D

Says and Does are two diff things

Ken Cooke - 3-28-2012 at 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Maderita
Quote:
...His vehicle now has a set of BFG AT/KO tires which he is removing, because as he repeated throughout our conversation - "In Baja, you need a tire with a 3 ply sidewall. ..."

Of course, the number of plies doesn't tell the whole story; there are many variables.

Chris is concerned mainly about reliability if he is solo in the Baja backcountry. BFG ATs don't have a great track record for reliability, so he is selling the set of tires and bolting on a new set of Falken Wild Peaks instead.

Rockin' my new Falken Wild Peak AT t-shirt!

Ken Cooke - 4-4-2012 at 10:24 PM

Thanks to all of my industry connections, I was able to score this cool Falken Wild Peak clothing! No, I am not a paid representative for Falken. I just want to say, "BUY THEIR WILD PEAK TIRES! EVERY ONE OF THEM!!!"

David K - 4-5-2012 at 11:50 AM

"I wanted a new set of tires... and all I got was this tee shirt" :wow:
 Pages:  1  2