BajaNomad

The final straw

Pages:  1  2

David K - 2-26-2012 at 10:26 AM

Yah, another excellent post and suggestion Barry. The problem that Mike has to face is that it is just him and Pamela up there... No park rangers with guns for protection or enforcement of his property rights.

I think signs explaining that the telescopes need a dust-free condition and passage through this private property is possible by contacting Mike (astrobaja) to those who limit their speed and don't throw trash... Beats coming upon a locked gate on a once open road with no explanation as to why.

The trashy/ drunk Mexicali club may be hopeless to convert to becoming responsible, but doing nothing isn't going to make them start playing nice.

I sure hope whatever astrobaja does will lead to a peaceful existance for them.

Barry A. - 2-26-2012 at 10:55 AM

Thanks for the positive feedback, guys.

I should have added to my post above, and endorsed the idea put forth here by Ken, and several other's, that 'ALTERNATIVES' are so very important---------if there is an alternative route that is feasible close by it REALLY defuses the locked-gate issue-----even the 'rogues' would rather expend energy driving up an alternative route than using time to destroy some barrier, at least most of the time.

As to "racism"--------Lecho is right, I believe, and yes racism does exist everywhere, even if very subtle, but I firmly believe that it is best to leave that issue on the sideline unless it is grossly expressed as it totally changes the focus of any subject when brought up, and really detracts from any issue at hand.

And, yes, BLM Ranger's are "armed" big-time---------they have to be as help is normally hours and many miles away-----they are "on their own" so to speak when out on solo-patrol which is about 98% of the time. We have had several killed over the years, all by snipers. So far, the Ranger has always won in face-to-face confrontations, I believe.

Litter is a disturbing pervasive problem------my solution is to always pick it up when possible or feasible------I always carry a bag expressly for that purpose, but my wife thinks I am a nut!!! :lol:

Barry

Thanks for being fair, Diver

Ken Cooke - 2-28-2012 at 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver

I believe that you pay for such services.

I didn't pay a single dime for any services. I paid 25,000 COP ($15 USD) for my wife's email address, and I took it from there. We had a great time, going to the best Middle Eastern and Colombian-style restaurants in Barranquilla, night clubs, movies, the mall (just to hang out), Downtown (to get my Zune player repaired), we were all over the place.

In Baja, Leidys has been able to see some of the best the region has to offer. Her novelas feature (nightly) the Ruta de Vino and she would love to visit there when the people of the Valle de Guadalupe hold their annual Wine production festival there.

"Cuando Me Enamoro" Novela TV Series featuring Baja's Ruta de Vino

Leidys at the BajaNomad Dia de los Reyes Toy Drive 2012

Leidys with FdT's daughter at the BajaNomad Dia de los Reyes Toy Drive 2012

Leidys with DEAD COW along Zoo Road during Baja Canyonlands Adventure 4WD Tour 2011

Ken Cooke - 2-28-2012 at 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
As for me "buying" or making some sort of "purchase" - That has got to be one of the ignorant things I have ever heard. Are you kidding, Diver?
I think I may know where he got the idea; didn't you at some point in your travels mention a wonderful matchmaker person you were dealing with somewhere off in exotic foreign parts...?

That would be, Maria! She has recently been joined by her Egyptian fiance and they live in Barranquilla, Colombia.

Maria Bueno with my Mother in Barranquilla, Colombia (enjoying a mutual laugh)

BajaRat - 2-28-2012 at 08:30 PM

I thought some of the reasons for the revolution were large land holdings by the church and Haciendas and the access. I'm with Barry on this one and I don't think your mountain paradise can afford the battle. Peace

Ken Cooke - 2-28-2012 at 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
She has recently been joined by her Egyptian fiance and they live in Barranquilla, Colombia.

Whew, this gets geographically convoluted! How'd she hook up with him? :wow:

Maria went to work for a multinational who sent her there thanks to her excellent English skills. The rest is history.

elgatoloco - 2-28-2012 at 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Quote:

During dinner, Michele Bachmann was yelling (w/the 60" Plasma TV cranked up), "WE HAVE GOT TO BUILD A 30 FOOT WALL TO KEEP THE ILLEGALS OUT!!" Normally, I don't like Tea Party Conservative talk, but during a PEACEFUL Baja trek in Baja?? It felt like PUNISHMENT to say the least.

I stand UNITED with my LATINO brothers and sisters.:!:

Doesn't matter that the adjacent country is Mexico; could be any other country, color or language. The point is that our border is being breeched by folks who do not have a right to be here. And that so many of our neighbors want to come here to escape their own country.
Build the wall and you can still visit your Latin bro's just as you do now. You just won't have to worry as much about CA and the US going bankrupt. And read the police blotter in our area; 60% of the drug and violent crime perpetrators are illegals or the children of illegals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHjKBjM1ngw

TMW - 2-28-2012 at 10:27 PM

Ken I wish you and your beautiful wife nothing but the best. Now when are you going to take the trail out of Mike's Sky Ranch to El Coyote with me. I plan on doing it after the SF250 race.

elgatoloco - 2-28-2012 at 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Tirades? I guess you like it when Obama bows to the Saudi king or apologizes for the U.S. at every possible chance... :rolleyes:

:lol:

bush_abdullah_chaching.jpg - 31kB

Ken Cooke - 2-28-2012 at 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Ken I wish you and your beautiful wife nothing but the best. Now when are you going to take the trail out of Mike's Sky Ranch to El Coyote with me. I plan on doing it after the SF250 race.

I wish I was going this year, but the big trip will be Death Valley with my friend Mike. He has been afraid of the violence in Mexico, so doing our run in Baja won't happen.

5 years to the date of our Death Valley trip, Mike and I traveled with my good friend Andrew Simpkins (RIP) to Baja and had a great time. It would have been special to do the trip in Baja, but not until Mike feels more at ease. So, it will be Mike, Leidys and I tackling the terrain of Death Valley!

Mike and I (and Leidys) at the OffRoad Expo 2011

David K - 2-28-2012 at 10:59 PM

Violence in Mexico? There were kids shot this week here in San Diego!

Ken Cooke - 2-28-2012 at 11:12 PM

Quote:

Don't give in to the thread hijack, David. It's a ploy to get my thread closed.

David K - 2-28-2012 at 11:30 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I want you to ask your friend if he is affraid to go to San Diego... shooting every week down here! Be afraid, be very afraid!!

Seriously, hope you have fun off roading north of the border!

bajalou - 2-28-2012 at 11:36 PM

Doesn't seem like 5 years since you all were down in San Felipe, Ken. Time does fly---

David K - 2-29-2012 at 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
Doesn't seem like 5 years since you all were down in San Felipe, Ken. Time does fly---

Did Ken say that?

Baja Angel shows shells to Ken and his esposa Leidys on Shell Island a year and a half ago (July 4 weekend, 2010):

More on the Nomad trip report: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=46599

bufeo - 2-29-2012 at 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke...Don't give in to the thread hijack, David. It's a ploy to get my thread closed.

Which 'thread' would that be, Ken?

Allen R

Ken Cooke - 2-29-2012 at 07:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I want you to ask your friend if he is affraid to go to San Diego... shooting every week down here! Be afraid, be very afraid!!

He is now afraid that gas prices are going to spoil his trip to Death Valley. My friend might stay home. Being that it will be Semana Santa, I am thinking of going someplace with less expensive gasoline.

Ken Cooke - 2-29-2012 at 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou

No, I can't believe so much time has already passed by.

Andrew (RIP) behind the wheel of my broken down Ford Ranger in the Sierra San Pedro NP (Aug.2001)

TMW - 3-1-2012 at 12:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

He is now afraid that gas prices are going to spoil his trip to Death Valley. My friend might stay home. Being that it will be Semana Santa, I am thinking of going someplace with less expensive gasoline.

If you buy gas in Furnace Creek it will. Over new Years it was $4.95 a gal. and Beatty was $3.29 a gal. I would imagine FC is close to $6 or more. If you go carry a couple of extra cans and fill em up in Beatty.

David K - 3-1-2012 at 03:50 PM

Gas in Baja is LESS than $3/ gallon... you just have to dodge the bullets the media says are flying in scary Mexico!

Ken Cooke - 3-1-2012 at 05:33 PM

Quote:
Gas in Baja is LESS than $3/ gallon... you just have to dodge the bullets the media says are flying in scary Mexico!

The price differential is very favorable (minus, of course, the cost of auto insurance). We will see what Mike wants to do. Personally, I could handle Huevos Rancheros every morning for breakfast!

David K - 3-1-2012 at 05:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:

The price differential is very favorable (minus, of course, the cost of auto insurance). We will see what Mike wants to do. Personally, I could handle Huevos Rancheros every morning for breakfast!

Use BajaBound.com !:light: As much as you go to Mexico, it would be cheaper to get an annual policy...:yes:

10 days = $350

Ken Cooke - 3-1-2012 at 06:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Use BajaBound.com !:light: As much as you go to Mexico, it would be cheaper to get an annual policy...:yes:

I have been splitting my travels with the Jeep and also public transportation. This will change next year after I get some bills paid down. But for now, this was the past 12 months in Baja, Mexico for Mrs. Cooke and I.

In April [2011] ---- I insured for 7 days
In November ---- I insured for 3 days - during the time we were on-pavement.
In December ---- we took public transportation.
In January ---- we rode the bus around Tijuana.

Ken Cooke - 3-1-2012 at 06:36 PM

Some would say that Tijuana is a deadly shooting gallery, but I tend to like the town.

I have taken the Bus with my Wife, Taxis and came to the conclusion that the price of travel there with public transportation is actually more expensive than in my Jeep. However, with laws making my window tint ILLEGAL as well as +3 hour wait times at the San Ysidro POE, I find the convenience a much better tradeoff.

At home with Nomad CG

Bus travel would be too inconvenient to this location - Bahia de los Angeles

Driving to Tijuana would be INSANE. Taking the bus is the best way to go by far!

My next trip will hopefully take us into the Baja Sierras where we can visit AstroBaja and do some fun four wheeling in the Jeep!

David K - 3-1-2012 at 09:30 PM

For LESS than the 10 days coverage amount, you could insure that Jeep for a whole year... Check it out.

Ken Cooke - 3-1-2012 at 09:37 PM

Quote:
For LESS than the 10 days coverage amount, you could insure that Jeep for a whole year... Check it out.

For some reason, it was more expensive last year when I was in the market for an annual policy. For approximately $200 I can purchase a new annual policy.

The man behind the funny quote!

Ken Cooke - 6-10-2012 at 10:24 PM

Quote:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not racist I hate you all the same "middlefinger" jajajaja
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom K. has a funny way with words! On Friday, we went out for Coffee. Great guy with a real sense of humor.:yes:

chuckie - 6-12-2012 at 06:50 AM

Wow! A trip to TJ was the final straw on closing the road...Who woulda thunk it...
 Pages:  1  2