BajaNomad

What Is West Baja walk

Pages:  1  2    4  ..  9

desertcpl - 2-8-2013 at 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I asked Graham about what he's doing about water, and he has one of those (or like it) but it takes an hour of pumping just to get a gallon. So, he is bringing water and has his still, like from the 1980's walk.

no no,, stranded with out beer,,, he is going to double up on beer,,
he dont need no stinking water :lol::lol::lol:

DENNIS - 2-8-2013 at 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGeoff
I got the scoop on the desal unit. You were right Dennis....they are using one of the smaller units...the Katadyn Survivor 35:

[Edited on 2-9-2013 by BajaGeoff]

Here's the specs:

Dimensions (cm)
14.0 x 55.9 x 8.9

Dimensions (in)
5.5 x 22 x 3.5

Output (gal)
1.2 gal/h (± 15%)

Output (L)
4.5 l/h (± 15%)

Salt rejection (average)
98.4% (min. 95.3%)

Technology
Reverse Osmosis

Weight (grams)
3.20 kg

Weight (oz)
7.00 lbs

gnukid - 2-8-2013 at 10:14 PM

Pull it together and walk slowly and carefully, c'mon you guys don't give up. Pay attention.

Mr. Pampas I presume...

EnsenadaDr - 2-8-2013 at 10:21 PM

Just had a very nice dinner with Justin and Brian. Because they were staying outside the Carnival area, and wanted to get back to plan the rest of their trip, they didn't want to travel too far to eat. They asked to go to a local, authentic place for dinner. I had heard that there was an Argentinian steak house near where they were staying, and when we walked in there, there was no one eating there. We all felt that was a bad sign, so we headed out to Mr. Pampas, a local Brazilian style eatery that is very popular with professional locals, and had unlimited cuts of every meat available. The boys definitely needed a protein boost, so they sampled everything from pollo to filet mignon. They are very polite young men, and very unassuming. Brian is a wilderness first responder, and knows how to respond to any medical emergency, and the blisters were very minor and healing. They are very excited about their next leg of the journey, and anxious to get on their way. I will meet up with them in a month or two to see how they are progressing. I enjoyed their company and share their enthusiasm for anyone that wants to live their dream.

David K - 2-8-2013 at 10:41 PM

Sounds great and very hospitable of you!

EnsenadaDr - 2-8-2013 at 10:48 PM

I felt it was important to show my support of living the healthy lifestyle, especially during National Heart Month.

woody with a view - 2-8-2013 at 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Just had a very nice dinner with Justin and Brian. They asked to go to a local, authentic place for dinner. I had heard that there was an Argentinian steak house near where they were staying, and when we walked in there, there was no one eating there. We all felt that was a bad sign, so we headed out to Mr. Pampas, a local Brazilian style eatery that is very popular with professional locals, and had unlimited cuts of every meat available.

not for nuthing, but isn't authentic and local a seafood joint or taco stand? South America is a long way from local.....

now, back you your regular programming.

EnsenadaDr - 2-8-2013 at 10:57 PM

I have been living in Ensenada a long time, Woody, and Pampas is the place to go for the local professionals, as I mentioned before. It was very crowded with local Ensenadienses. What do you consider local for say, New York City? You are in the US, but many say New York has the best Italian, Chinese and whatever part of the world's food you want to sample. Pampas is a very celebrated restaurant here in Ensenada. I think we all need to get away with thinking about Baja as all beer, tacos, or pescado entero. Let's credit Ensenada as being a city with cultural diversion, and Baja, especially in the larger cities like Ensenada, having native residents that enjoy the cultural diversity.

[Edited on 2-9-2013 by EnsenadaDr]

woody with a view - 2-8-2013 at 11:03 PM

i guess i read it wrong, but So America is still a long walk away. Baja starts with tacos filled with everything imaginable.

why do you think they called them "burritos"? because they come with everything on their back!

if i want Peruvian i'll stay home or go to Ken's......

EnsenadaDr - 2-8-2013 at 11:06 PM

You know what, Woody, they told me they ate cones of beans on the way down the hill to El Sauzal. I am sure they will make you happy and eat your idea of what Baja food is all the way through San Quintin, and south of San Quintin... burritos, tacos...frankly, I can't eat that food everyday of the week and I live in Baja. Do you eat All-American, US food everyday of the week when you are in the States? Or do you want to eat Mexican food 365 days a year so you feel like you are in Baja? Beans, Beans and more beans, carne asada, fish tacos...all filled with manteca or fried in manteca...no bueno!!

woody with a view - 2-8-2013 at 11:11 PM

not trying to start another fight, just saying my idea of local and authentic don't include So America. McDonalds might qualify as local and authentic, i guess!

EnsenadaDr - 2-8-2013 at 11:12 PM

Well, my idea of authentic is where the locals go to eat...expand your horizons a little, my friend!!

Archie - 2-8-2013 at 11:13 PM

Hola Doc, then you´ll need a few more years to discover authentic local food.

I can list you a dozen of places that are not taco joints, how about authentic comida oaxaquena in El Rinconcito Oaxaqueño, or pozole and antojitos mexicanos in El parian, real local seafood with Marco Antonio or La avioneta. I guess you´ve never been to el Taco de Huitzilopochtli en Valle Verde also. Las Cazuelas de Kiki or Las Palmas have excellent chefs. If you want to indulge yourself, go to El rey Sol.

But Pampas as representative of Ensenada food scene?, no way.

EnsenadaDr - 2-8-2013 at 11:16 PM

Well, that is a great idea...so then why don't you take them to eat for breakfast tomorrow morning to where you feel is the best place...I took them somewhere where I thought they might enjoy the food. Come to think of it, Las Cazuelas has a great breakfast, their email is: whatiswest@gmail.com.

woody with a view - 2-8-2013 at 11:20 PM

Quote:
Well, my idea of authentic is where the locals go to eat...expand your horizons a little, my friend!!

you make my argument! close by means local, not authentic!

anyway. they are burping so who cares?

EnsenadaDr - 2-8-2013 at 11:22 PM

You guys all have the chance to take them for breakfast, lunch and dinner wherever you like, and let them be the judge of what they consider authentic. Like I said, their email is whatiswest@gmail.com.

David K - 2-9-2013 at 12:50 AM

What happened to El Taco de Huitzlipochtli (sp?) It was ten years ago we ate there. DavidE turned us onto this jewel of Aztec food and said then it was the best food in
Mexico!

DENNIS - 2-9-2013 at 08:20 AM

Quote:
What happened to El Taco de Huitzlipochtli (sp?) It was ten years ago we ate there. DavidE turned us onto this jewel of Aztec food and said then it was the best food in
Mexico!

The owner passed away. I don't know if it's still open or not.

EnsenadaDr - 2-9-2013 at 09:03 AM

David, this place is very close to my home in Ensenada, in Valle Verde where I live. I remember in medical school, there was an Orthopedics professor teaching us the musculoskeletal system who raved about the place but he used to go for a bowlful of entrails every year or so, which he said was full of fat so he couldn't eat it often. Just the idea of entrails turned me off as I am not a huge fan of menudo, etc. Anyway, I just looked it up and surprisingly Tillie Foster was there this year in January. Don't know if you know Tillie Foster, but she works at the San Nicolas Hotel in Ensenada, and is the most active 82 year old lady I know. She is on her way to Puerto Vallarta and will be going to Guerrero Negro to see the whales in a few months. She is also the liason known to the American Consulate and Sharp Health care as many of these presentations are given at the San Nicholas hotel...also organizer of the Red Hat Ladies of Ensenada. She is a very sweet and friendly lady. Here is the link to her review of the restaurant (also a map to the place) on Trip advisor. I will go there today and check it out and report back since two of the Nomads on this thread have raved about it as it appears to have more than entrails. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g150770-d153696...

mtgoat666 - 2-9-2013 at 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
Quote:

Woodenman:
you are full of bs. Tacos are not authentic. Kumeyaay Indians ate acorns, yucca, berries, fish and game. Local Indians did not farm/eat corn. It was all hunting/gathering. No farming! No ranching!

P.s. the authentic food was crappy food. I would choose the Argentinian restaurant over a Kumeyaay restaurant!

woody with a view - 2-9-2013 at 09:13 AM

it's my story and i'm sticking to it...

EnsenadaDr - 2-9-2013 at 09:14 AM

My reasoning was also two fold. I knew these guys would be on a constant diet of tacos, beans and burritos. So I tried to give them an experience of something a little different.I also would like to add that both boys are not being subsidized by their parents or family, and they get a stipend from National Geographic but it is very minimal. I assumed Justin was born with a gold spoon in his mouth because he went to Pepperdyne. Not so. He earned a scholarship to a private high school near the Calabasas, California area and also earned a full academic scholarship to Pepperdyne in Malibu for all four years of college. His family was not rich and he grew up in a single family home. He had a job at 17 years old as a television producer intern, and said he knew that is what he wanted to work in at an early age. Brian also went to the Christian high school in Calabasas and I was impressed that they both opened doors for me and were perfect gentlemen.
Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
Quote:

Woodenman:
you are full of bs. Tacos are not authentic. Kumeyaay Indians ate acorns, yucca, berries, fish and game. Local Indians did not farm/eat corn. It was all hunting/gathering. No farming! No ranching!

P.s. the authentic food was crappy food. I would choose the Argentinian restaurant over a Kumeyaay restaurant!

DENNIS - 2-9-2013 at 09:35 AM

Well....these guys are going to be leaving the fun 'n games leg of their journey pretty soon.......if they survive Carnaval in Ensenada. It's time to get down to the business of survival.

EnsenadaDr - 2-9-2013 at 09:47 AM

Dennis, they went back to the place they slept at 9 pm. They didn't step foot in the Carnival...geez.....you are pretty critical of others for someone who had fun n' games all those years at Sharkey's.

DENNIS - 2-9-2013 at 10:00 AM

Quote:
Dennis, they went back to the place they slept at 9 pm.

Paris en La Noche? Or was it Anthony's?

EnsenadaDr - 2-9-2013 at 10:17 AM

It was an area by Hospital Velmar...some office connected with National Geographic.

DianaT - 2-9-2013 at 10:25 AM

Quote:
It was an area by Hospital Velmar...some office connected with National Geographic.

I wonder if they stayed at the Terra Peninsular Offices --- it is in that area. Not sure if they have any ties with National Geographic, but the are a very active conservation organization.

EnsenadaDr - 2-9-2013 at 10:39 AM

You are right Diana. It was an office connected with some conservational organization, Wildcoast...I assumed they had ties with National Geographic...
Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:

I wonder if they stayed at the Terra Peninsular Offices --- it is in that area. Not sure if they have any ties with National Geographic, but the are a very active conservation organization.

BajaGeoff - 2-9-2013 at 10:42 AM

Prior to crossing the border, Bryan and Justin spent time with the Wildcoast staff in their San Diego office to help prep and plan their journey...

DianaT - 2-9-2013 at 10:48 AM

Quote:
You are right Diana. It was an office connected with some conservational organization, Wildcoast...I assumed they had ties with National Geographic...
Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:

While the people we have met from Terra Peninsular very much support the work of Wildcoast, I do not believe they have any direct connection.

So either way, they were with good people. :-)

EnsenadaDr - 2-9-2013 at 10:49 AM

I have been spelling Bryan's name wrong, sorry!!

David K - 2-9-2013 at 12:38 PM

Quote:
David, this place is very close to my home in Ensenada, in Valle Verde where I live. I remember in medical school, there was an Orthopedics professor teaching us the musculoskeletal system who raved about the place but he used to go for a bowlful of entrails every year or so, which he said was full of fat so he couldn't eat it often. Just the idea of entrails turned me off as I am not a huge fan of menudo, etc. Anyway, I just looked it up and surprisingly Tillie Foster was there this year in January. Don't know if you know Tillie Foster, but she works at the San Nicolas Hotel in Ensenada, and is the most active 82 year old lady I know. She is on her way to Puerto Vallarta and will be going to Guerrero Negro to see the whales in a few months. She is also the liason known to the American Consulate and Sharp Health care as many of these presentations are given at the San Nicholas hotel...also organizer of the Red Hat Ladies of Ensenada. She is a very sweet and friendly lady. Here is the link to her review of the restaurant (also a map to the place) on Trip advisor. I will go there today and check it out and report back since two of the Nomads on this thread have raved about it as it appears to have more than entrails. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g150770-d153696...

OMG, they used my August, 2001 photo... LOL! Only 3 reviews and the one from 2011 is accurate. It isn't a 'taco shop' or menudo joint... it is exotic, central Mexican (Aztec) style dishes and only open on weekends and closed when the food ran out, usually early. We got there once about 5pm on Saturday, and they had just closed. My first time there was with DavidE, elgatoloco and BajaBarb, and Fishin' Rich.

Tillie Foster and I know each other, but it has been many years... She was a regular guest at my Viva Baja parties and always brought the grand door prize (weekend in the Honeymoon suite at Hotel San Nicolas)... It was won once by El Jefe and another time by Wild Bill and Elena LaLoca...

Here's Tillie at my 2003 Viva Baja party:

[Edited on 2-9-2013 by David K]

DENNIS - 2-9-2013 at 01:17 PM

Quote:
(weekend in the Honeymoon suite at Hotel San Nicolas)...

WOW....a weekend with Ms Tillie.....and in the Honeymoon Suite to boot. I'll bet that's the room with the mirror over the bed and a stack of DVDs on the nightstand.
Why....Ms Tillie.......you are full of surprises. :o

EnsenadaDr - 2-9-2013 at 03:03 PM

Tillie wouldn't like that Dennis, then again you weren't that nice to her on the Punta Banda Bulletin Board either. Thank God you compensated by buying her flowers. Tillie is a very respectable gal.

DENNIS - 2-9-2013 at 03:17 PM

Quote:
Tillie wouldn't like that Dennis, then again you weren't that nice to her on the Punta Banda Bulletin Board either. Thank God you compensated by buying her flowers. Tillie is a very respectable gal.

Ahhhh yes.......the flowers. Forgot all about that.
Just to clarify something here......the good doctora here bought the flowers and signed my name to the card....something like that.

Image is everything. :lol:

EnsenadaDr - 2-9-2013 at 03:24 PM

Ha Ha, Dennis there you go again. Don't blame me for your good deeds.:?:

Tillie Foster and the Taco de Huitzilopochtli en Valle Verde

EnsenadaDr - 2-9-2013 at 08:09 PM

Hi David,
Just touched base with Tillie Foster on Facebook and gave her the link here. She found it interesting. I passed by the Taco de Huitzilopochtli in Valle Verde, and I saw Birria (not a fan of Birria), Chivo, (not a fan of eating goat), and Medulla (not a fan of eating brains) on the menu outside the restaurant. No carne asada, no chile rellenos and no tamales or enchiladas. Now I remember what my professor used to eat, medulla (brains). So, no I don't think I will be going there anytime soon. It looks considerably run down from the picture you posted as well.
Quote:
Quote:

OMG, they used my August, 2001 photo... LOL! Only 3 reviews and the one from 2011 is accurate. It isn't a 'taco shop' or menudo joint... it is exotic, central Mexican (Aztec) style dishes and only open on weekends and closed when the food ran out, usually early. We got there once about 5pm on Saturday, and they had just closed. My first time there was with DavidE, elgatoloco and BajaBarb, and Fishin' Rich.

Tillie Foster and I know each other, but it has been many years... She was a regular guest at my Viva Baja parties and always brought the grand door prize (weekend in the Honeymoon suite at Hotel San Nicolas)... It was won once by El Jefe and another time by Wild Bill and Elena LaLoca...

Here's Tillie at my 2003 Viva Baja party:

[Edited on 2-9-2013 by David K]

[Edited on 2-10-2013 by EnsenadaDr]

MMc - 2-9-2013 at 09:19 PM

What does this have to do with the walk? These guys are on a long F@%#ing walk and you are talking about BS. Can we please get back to the guys and their walk. Blister aside, they are getting in shape for a quite a walk, let's focus on them.

EnsenadaDr - 2-9-2013 at 09:29 PM

Right now they are near Zorillo. I did my servicio social there and just emailed them not to sleep right in the town because gets very violent at night. Hopefully they got near Las Canadas near the security or the roadside police station. I think I have done my part focusing on them, and I don't think they were upset about the thread taking a little bend in the road as all threads seem to do at times. Love your life as your mood says....and relax!! Or better yet, send the guys a few bucks to help them along their path, not that they are asking for it, but anything would help.

DENNIS - 2-9-2013 at 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
What does this have to do with the walk? These guys are on a long F@%#ing walk and you are talking about BS. Can we please get back to the guys and their walk. Blister aside, they are getting in shape for a quite a walk, let's focus on them.

I think the restaurant was being considered as a place for them to eat. It did stray away from that somewhat, but the original intention was appropriate.

DENNIS - 2-9-2013 at 09:35 PM

Quote:
Right now they are near Zorillo. I did my servicio social there and just emailed them not to sleep right in the town because gets very violent at night. Hopefully they got near Las Canadas near the security or the roadside police station. I think I have done my part focusing on them, and I don't think they were upset about the thread taking a little bend in the road as all threads seem to do at times. Love your life as your mood says....and relax!! Or better yet, send the guys a few bucks to help them along their path, not that they are asking for it, but anything would help.

They're still on the move this time of night?
Get away from Zorillo. The people there will cook and eat you.

EnsenadaDr - 2-9-2013 at 09:35 PM

Thanks Dennis. This guy in San Miguel hasn't even probably followed the whole thread so how would he know? If people really want to help they will support these guys. Like I said, neither one of them is a millionaire and I can say for a fact they are doing this as part of a very important lifetime goal for the both of them. Any donation would help them.

EnsenadaDr - 2-9-2013 at 09:37 PM

Yes Dennis Zorillo is where they filmed Night of the Living Dead, south of the Border...
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

They're still on the move this time of night?
Get away from Zorillo. The people there will cook and eat you.

EnsenadaDr - 2-9-2013 at 09:41 PM

shoot the guys told me that they were recommended by a friend to go to La Hollandesa to eat...not bad but not some place you would recommend....:wow:

DENNIS - 2-9-2013 at 09:50 PM

Quote:
shoot the guys told me that they were recommended by a friend to go to La Hollandesa to eat...not bad but not some place you would recommend....:wow:

I thought they were ice cream stores.

tripledigitken - 2-9-2013 at 09:56 PM

Can you provide some details of Zorilla, sounds like a place to add for those one day tours I take out-of-towners to.

EnsenadaDr - 2-9-2013 at 09:58 PM

You have got to be kidding!!! I had people come into the Maneadero emergency room with knife wounds from the parties of El Zorillo at night...It literally means the Skunk.
Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Can you provide some details of Zorilla, sounds like a place to add for those one day tours I take out-of-towners to.

tripledigitken - 2-9-2013 at 10:00 PM

now your talking, more please......

BornFisher - 2-9-2013 at 10:02 PM

I really liked these guys when I randomly met them. They seemed so positive about Baja Nomads and the advise and support they were getting. But when they have a chance to read the crap posted here, maybe that will change.
Best wishes for you guys, want to know more and please keep us posted.

EnsenadaDr - 2-9-2013 at 10:02 PM

You know what I think you are pulling my leg.....I'll let you do the talking now about what kind of business you have....and stay on topic please or else you will get razzed by mmc***************.

[Edited on 2-16-2013 by BajaNomad]

mtgoat666 - 2-10-2013 at 12:02 AM

Quote:
You have got to be kidding!!! I had people come into the Maneadero emergency room with knife wounds from the parties of El Zorillo at night...It literally means the Skunk.
Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken

#Where is #zorilla?

(Trying to get with the boys lingo, writing in #hastags, #eh?)

BajaGeoff - 2-10-2013 at 02:28 AM

The wife and I, along with her mom and boyfriend (they are visiting us from New York City) headed to Baja on Saturday morning to spend the day and hopefully meet up with the dudes walking. We almost scrapped our plans before leaving San Diego after hearing about the long wait to get into Mexico because of the ongoing manhunt for the former LA cop, as well as the fact that Carnival was going on in Ensenada. We decided to try anyway, and only had a 20 minute border wait going south, and some minor traffic in Ensenada. After a great lunch and drive in the wine valley, we met up with Justin and Bryan around 4 in the afternoon on the south end of Maneadero. They had walked about 12 miles already, but were feeling pretty good and still planning on putting some more miles in. I dropped off another 2 pounds of chunky peanut butter per their request. Based up on the Spot tracker I don't think their final camping location got pinged. This is the beginning of the real adventure as they venture further away from the Tijuana-Rosarito-Ensenada corridor! Here is the Spot map from the walk on Saturday:

[Edited on 2-10-2013 by BajaGeoff]

BajaNomad - 2-10-2013 at 05:36 AM

Quote:

#Where is #zorilla?

El Zorrillo is a colonia along the highway just south of Maneadero.

Map:
http://goo.gl/maps/F4HoA

[Edited on 2-10-2013 by BajaNomad]

EnsenadaDr - 2-10-2013 at 07:23 AM

Good...looks like they will be passing El Zorrillo today....

mtgoat666 - 2-10-2013 at 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Quote:

#Where is #zorilla?

Map:

So they are taking inland route on hwy and not walking the coast?

DENNIS - 2-10-2013 at 08:52 AM

Quote:

It's a squatter community that law and order never took charge of. It's no place to be if one values property and safety.
In spite of that, I have friends, families that liVe right in the middle of it and security is foremost on their mind.
Zorrillo....it means "skunk".......will never be mentioned by the Baja Image Committee.

EnsenadaDr - 2-10-2013 at 09:43 AM

Goat there is no route right on the coast in that area. At the "Y" in Maneadero, the road branches to La Bufadora to the coast and then goes inland around some pretty big hills, so there is no route on the other side of the hills for a while. Take a look at Google Maps and you will see what I mean. They are only actually a few miles in from the Coast at this point.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

#Where is #zorilla?

Map:

So they are taking inland route on hwy and not walking the coast?

DENNIS - 2-10-2013 at 10:53 AM

Quote:
Goat there is no route right on the coast in that area.

This thread,as others like it, is becoming cumbersome which makes research within it difficult, but in the past, didn't they make a reference to the mysterious community that has grown on the beach south of la Bocana?
Their inland route will go around this. It's probably just as well since the community is said to be inhospitable.

Here 'tis:

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2010/feb/03/cover-mysteri...

DENNIS - 2-10-2013 at 06:41 PM

Any news on the trekkers? I'm hoping they're in a warm place. The temp here is already down to 52° and is expected to drop more.

EnsenadaDr - 2-10-2013 at 07:34 PM

Dennis, if you go to Whatiswest.com, you can see where they are by clicking Where are we?, Looks like they are right about due east of Santo Tomas. I am outta here, heading for San Diego and on my way to Hawaii. Will keep abreast of the last news from BN....as always!! Be back in a week or two..depending on how much I can accomplish. Running business from a distance is not so easy, people seem to slack off when you aren't around!!

Ateo - 2-10-2013 at 08:01 PM

They're right at the new bypass that was cut winding into the Santo Tomas Valley. Maybe at the winery? JK. Good luck dudes. Head out to Punta Cabras and get some water time!! Should be able to hike the coast in that area with ease.

DENNIS - 2-10-2013 at 08:05 PM

Quote:
Dennis, if you go to Whatiswest.com, you can see where they are by clicking Where are we

All I get from that is a slow slide show.

EnsenadaDr - 2-10-2013 at 08:09 PM

Click on Where are we? when you get to the site, and it will bring you to a ping map that you can magnify...

BajaGeoff - 2-10-2013 at 08:53 PM

Here is the map from the walk today. If the final ping from the Spot tracker is correct, they are just shy of dropping down into the Santo Tomas valley...

Paulina - 2-10-2013 at 09:03 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Dennis, if you go to Whatiswest.com, you can see where they are by clicking Where are we

All I get from that is a slow slide show.

Dennis, I get the same thing. The "where are we" link comes up blank.

Geoff, thanks for posting the map.

When they get through Santo Tomas, I wonder if they are going to hike up over the hill to Cabras?

P>*)))>{

[Edited on 11-2-2013 by Paulina]

BajaGeoff - 2-10-2013 at 09:28 PM

I also had problems getting the "Where Are We" map load in Firefox, but it loaded fine in Google Chrome. I think their tentative plan is to head out to the coast from Santo Tomas and head south.

EnsenadaDr - 2-10-2013 at 11:16 PM

you probably have older computers, mine comes up immediately and so does Ateo's.

DENNIS - 2-11-2013 at 08:28 AM

Quote:
I think their tentative plan is to head out to the coast from Santo Tomas and head south.

That's about a twenty mile hike in itself.
Hope the blisters are under control.

Ateo - 2-11-2013 at 09:21 AM

That road from Santo Tomas to Cabras is where my first Baja back country driving was done. There are some beautiful areas out there. I remember driving it in a Toyota Camry and just annihilating that vehicle.

desertcpl - 2-11-2013 at 09:25 AM

well I must say,, now they are really moving along

Ateo - 2-11-2013 at 09:35 AM

If they go the route we discussed above, this is the country they will be seeing!!

BajaGeoff - 2-11-2013 at 11:51 AM

Yup. That stretch is going to be beautiful right now with all of the rains we have had. Baja Norte is very green at the moment!

DENNIS - 2-11-2013 at 07:10 PM

Anything new?

EnsenadaDr - 2-11-2013 at 07:20 PM

Yes. Tillie Foster told me she wasn't with you in that Honeymoon Suite at the San Nicholas Hotel, she said it was probably one of your other paramours.

EnsenadaDr - 2-11-2013 at 11:22 PM

Boys are saying that they are seeing beautiful green mountains heading to the coast after Santo Tomas...check their postings on their site on Facebook, What is West!!

BajaGeoff - 2-12-2013 at 12:25 AM

Quote:
Yes. Tillie Foster told me she wasn't with you in that Honeymoon Suite at the San Nicholas Hotel, she said it was probably one of your other paramours.

This has what to do with Bryan and Justin walking the peninsula? C'mon now...stay on topic or take it to U2U...or off topic.

David K - 2-12-2013 at 11:14 AM

Quote:
Quote:

This has what to do with Bryan and Justin walking the peninsula? C'mon now...stay on topic or take it to U2U...or off topic.

Yah, what are you talking about Dra.? In a sidebar about food (I think) Tillie was mentioned... It was good to hear that she is still alive and well, as she was a guest at my Viva Baja parties and presented a gift from the Hotel San Nicolas (a weekend for two in the honeymoon suite)... I mentioned a couple of winners of that grand prize. Go back and re-read. I never said I was "with her"...!?? LOL

[Edited on 2-12-2013 by David K]

DENNIS - 2-12-2013 at 12:04 PM

Quote:

I never said I was "with her"...!?? LOL

She wasn't talking to you so why don't you do as Geoff suggested....stay on topic.

BajaGeoff - 2-12-2013 at 12:18 PM

Here is the walk map from yesterday - Day 10. They crossed the Santo Tomas valley and started heading out to the coast. The last ping is from the start of their walk this morning, putting them about two miles from the coast as of 11AM.

DENNIS - 2-12-2013 at 12:24 PM

They had to have frozen their butts off last night out in that valley. It was really cold....42° here this AM. That's cold for Punta Banda.

[Edited on 2-12-2013 by DENNIS]

BajaGeoff - 2-12-2013 at 12:41 PM

If they keep on the same track down the valley, they should pop out right between Punta San Jose and the mysterious Danish compound. I know they were keen on checking out the compound....

bajadock - 2-12-2013 at 12:46 PM

Thanks for this adventure thread, Geoff. Looking forward to updates and wish them well.

mtgoat666 - 2-12-2013 at 12:59 PM

Quote:
If they keep on the same track down the valley, they should pop out right between Punta San Jose and the mysterious Danish compound. I know they were keen on checking out the compound....

danish bakery?

tall blonde chicks?

what's flavor koolaid do they serve?

DENNIS - 2-12-2013 at 08:46 PM

Quote:
I know they were keen on checking out the compound....

As I implied earlier, there may be people there to discourage them from getting too close.

David K - 2-12-2013 at 08:50 PM

Yah it's not like the Danish compound we have in Carlsbad!

Martyman - 2-13-2013 at 10:25 AM

Where did they stash their weed?

BajaGeoff - 2-13-2013 at 01:45 PM

Here is the map from yesterday. They came out of the hills south of Santo Tomas and started making their way towards Erendira...

EnsenadaDr - 2-13-2013 at 07:49 PM

I had a Doctora friend I graduated with who told me Erendira is a great little fishing town, you might want to tell the boys to cast out their rods or borrow a few and grill their own fish or for a few pesos have the local fish taco stand do it for them!! Or because of the availability of fresh fish they could probably do quite well just buying the fish tacos there.
Quote:
Here is the map from yesterday. They came out of the hills south of Santo Tomas and started making their way towards Erendira...

EnsenadaDr - 2-13-2013 at 07:58 PM

what happened with the Danish town? Did they get to it yet?

DENNIS - 2-13-2013 at 08:07 PM

Quote:

It's not a town. It's a compound. I posted a link to it in this thread, back there somewhere.

Coyote Cal's is de place

durrelllrobert - 2-13-2013 at 08:24 PM

Quote:
I had a Doctora friend I graduated with who told me Erendira is a great little fishing town, you might want to tell the boys to cast out their rods or borrow a few and grill their own fish or for a few pesos have the local fish taco stand do it for them!! Or because of the availability of fresh fish they could probably do quite well just buying the fish tacos there

Coyote Cal’s Mexico Hostels (Ejido Eréndira, tel. 646/154-4080, www.coyotecals.com) is a classic Baja meeting place for surfers, European backpackers, and touring motorcyclists. One of the reasons for its popularity is that there is a room for every budget. You can camp out front on the “beach” (a sandy front yard) for US$10, plus US$3 for breakfast (midsized RVs okay if self-contained). On the other end of the spectrum, there’s the top-floor Crow’s Nest room for US$60 per night (three-night minimum, reserve online) with panoramic views of the surrounding cliffs and ocean.

Bunks go for a reasonable US$15–18 per person and private rooms are US$45–50 per couple. The hostel also rents surfboards, mountain bikes, and snorkeling gear. Its new Barefoot Cantina serves XX lager, Sol, and Tecate beer as well as a menu of mixed drinks. The cantina does not serve meals, however, so plan to buy your own supplies in Ensenada on the way down

This one?

durrelllrobert - 2-13-2013 at 09:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:

It's not a town. It's a compound. I posted a link to it in this thread, back there somewhere.

forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?fid=32&tid=45278...
OR?

[Edited on 2-14-2013 by durrelllrobert]

durrelllrobert - 2-13-2013 at 09:18 PM

Here's a picture while it was still under construction:

BajaGeoff - 2-13-2013 at 10:19 PM

I did hit up the folks at Coyote Cal's and let them know about Bryan and Justin's trip. I thought it would be a good stopping point for the guys, but they are only a few miles north of there as of this afternoon and most likely pushing south well past there tomorrow. We'll see!

BajaNomad - 2-13-2013 at 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Quote:
Quote:

forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?fid=32&tid=45278...
OR?

[Edited on 2-14-2013 by durrelllrobert]

https://picasaweb.google.com/tvindalert.feedback/TGPacificoM...

EnsenadaDr - 2-14-2013 at 12:33 PM

Great Dennis, as soon as the boys report on the Danish compound and give me the all clear, I will drag you out of your Kennedy compound on the hill and have you take me down there for homemade pastries, should be something like Solvang in the Santa Inez mountains, right?
Quote:
Quote:

mtgoat666 - 2-14-2013 at 12:47 PM

Quote:
Great Dennis, as soon as the boys report on the Danish compound and give me the all clear, I will drag you out of your Kennedy compound on the hill and have you take me down there for homemade pastries, should be something like Solvang in the Santa Inez mountains, right?
Quote:
Quote:

if'n you want to compare, i suspect it's more like waco, colorado city or gitmo, and less like solvang of copenhagen. but from the vantage point of a satellite, it sure does look like a fun resort (perhaps even more luxurious than the Baja Cactus?):

http://goo.gl/maps/CE6UJ

[Edited on 2-14-2013 by mtgoat666]

BajaGeoff - 2-14-2013 at 12:58 PM

The walk map from yesterday and a little bit of today...

DENNIS - 2-14-2013 at 01:22 PM

I wonder what the mileage scale is on that map? How many inches, or whatever, to the mile?

BajaNomad - 2-14-2013 at 01:33 PM

Quote:
I wonder what the mileage scale is on that map? How many inches, or whatever, to the mile?

I'll let you decide if it's closer to 2mi or 2km... :?:

map-scale-001.jpg - 19kB

Pages:  1  2    4  ..  9