BajaNomad

IVO - storm reports, rain & road updates

Pages:  1  2  

woody with a view - 8-24-2013 at 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Hey, the first break on the road in...poquito dinero por La Virgin y cervezas por nosotros!

that was on the way out, as you can tell. we usually leave some unlit candles and a few pesos for the ranchers.

DavidE - 8-24-2013 at 05:22 PM

"IVO"! Yeah "IVO"!

Now I remember why that name brought an automatic sneer...

"T.V.'S TOMMY IVO"

Four engine dragster. Chevy Big Blocks? No! Chrysler Hemis? No!

Four BUICK engines.

Figures

shari - 8-24-2013 at 06:00 PM

light rain at times, the swell is growing by the minute so the groms are out in force at Merengue beach out here at the point.

town beach is starting to thunder in...the swell is supposed to double in size...whoa

woody with a view - 8-24-2013 at 06:09 PM

PLEASE keep the town pics coming. it gives some perspective to it all, as the other spots are not usually so big.

bajacalifornian - 8-24-2013 at 06:35 PM

Nice Shar . . . thanks!

rts551 - 8-24-2013 at 06:42 PM

Its being reported that the hwy is closed at K114 near Insurgentes.

bajajudy - 8-24-2013 at 06:52 PM

It is raining here again. Not much but really dark clouds overhead.
That Ivo is a wide load.

I think that is like 40 hours of "off and on" precipitation

vandenberg - 8-24-2013 at 07:08 PM

Raining again in Nopolo with lots of thunder and lightning in the mountains.

willyAirstream - 8-24-2013 at 07:13 PM

All quiet and calm in Mulege. No rain. My dogs are still freaked and staying close.

vandenberg - 8-24-2013 at 07:14 PM

Pouring again here in Nopolo.
This is far from over.

chuckie - 8-24-2013 at 07:23 PM

Satellite pics are plumb scary!

shari - 8-24-2013 at 07:52 PM

raining here in Asuncion now after an amazing sunset that brought a whole rainbow and double one out here at the point...breathtaking sight! Wish I'd have had time to change to a wide angle lense but it was a quick show...we are hunkered down for a long night of rain and wind...look forward to the morning's swell.

Mariz - 8-24-2013 at 08:15 PM

Mother Nature is putting on quite a show herein Loreto.

Lots of thunder and lightning!

Really raining for the last hour or so...

Mulegena - 8-24-2013 at 08:32 PM

Mulege still has electrics.

It started flat-out raining again with thunder and lightning close-in.

This isn't over yet, folks.

Anyone down on the river tonight-- get out! Take no chances, please, and don't spend the night down there!! If you need a place to crash come up here; we have room for you.

Don't spend the night on the river!
Remember its the rain in the mountains and the 18 arroyos that drain into the Mulege River that causes the flooding.

Mula - 8-24-2013 at 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551

There is no KM 114 near Insurgentes.
LaPax to Insurgentes is La Paz 0 - Insurgentes 235.

Insuragentes to Loreto is Insurgentes 0 - Loreto 119.

Insurgentes to La Purisima is Insurgentes 0, La Purisma / San Juanico 130 - 150.

What is Insurgentes KM 114?

[Edited on 8-25-2013 by Mula]

Mulegena - 8-24-2013 at 10:25 PM

11:20 pm Mulege update

Rain has been continuous and brutally hard for four hours.

I know there are people sleeping in their homes on the river and in town.

There was no evacuation order given by the town.

I don't know if the river is rising as I'm in Loma Azul and can't see it. I know from experience that when it rises it comes fast.

Its going to be a long night...

[Edited on 8-25-2013 by Mulegena]

Russ - 8-24-2013 at 11:33 PM

I guess that means the road into Chivato is gone. How's the wind, tides and surge? Anyone in Chivato?

redhilltown - 8-24-2013 at 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
raining here in Asuncion now after an amazing sunset that brought a whole rainbow and double one out here at the point...breathtaking sight! Wish I'd have had time to change to a wide angle lense but it was a quick show...we are hunkered down for a long night of rain and wind...look forward to the morning's swell.

What an amazing pic! Stay safe.

bajajudy - 8-25-2013 at 06:34 AM

Still raining here
Just a little but....

Mula - 8-25-2013 at 06:44 AM

Just had a call from Loreto.
Raymundo said there was more water in the San Thelmo arroyo this time than last year.

2 meters of water went through Raymundo Vargas' ranch Loma Azul and 2 of my mules are gone and the Rancho no existe.

Juan Cunninghamd just got into Loreto from his Rancho at KM 26 just past the military on the road north. He got to Loreto in double and said the road is bad and out. His ranch is gone, too.

Also Raymundo said the bridge to Nopolo is out.

Sure am hoping all this is not true.

Here is Lopez, we are drying out already. High overcast, windy and muddy streets.

Udo - 8-25-2013 at 07:11 AM

Fabulous photos, Shari...

Mil Gracias!

vandenberg - 8-25-2013 at 07:13 AM

Mula,
several bridges between Loreto and Nopolo.

Any news from Mulege ?

Curt63 - 8-25-2013 at 07:18 AM

This is the Punta Abreojos Malecon. It was posted on facebook this morning. I dont know when the pic was taken.

mtnpop - 8-25-2013 at 07:23 AM

The last post from Mulege looks to be around midnight... So I would surmise that no electric or internet this morning... Looks like the casita on the river may be in trouble only 10 months after the last water event.
Don't know if I want to see it again or even try to deal with it from Colorado. Where the wildfires this summer have now turned to flooding also...
Hoping our friends there are all ok this morning....

Bob and Susan - 8-25-2013 at 07:24 AM

we got a lot of water in the night ere on the bay...
we slept thru it

looks like it'll be sunny today

the water puddles are leaving quickly

rain2 - Copy.JPG - 43kB

Mula - 8-25-2013 at 07:26 AM

No word from Mulege.

Did just talk to Martin Sanchez in Loreto Col. Zaragosa. . . He too said the water was more than last year in the San Thelmo arroyo there and that the road to town from the Subdivision was gone again.

BajaBlanca - 8-25-2013 at 07:32 AM

This is Loreto - photo off facebook

[Edited on 8-25-2013 by BajaBlanca]

monoloco - 8-25-2013 at 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mula
Just had a call from Loreto.
Raymundo said there was more water in the San Thelmo arroyo this time than last year.

2 meters of water went through Raymundo Vargas' ranch Loma Azul and 2 of my mules are gone and the Rancho no existe.

Juan Cunninghamd just got into Loreto from his Rancho at KM 26 just past the military on the road north. He got to Loreto in double and said the road is bad and out. His ranch is gone, too.

Also Raymundo said the bridge to Nopolo is out.

Sure am hoping all this is not true.

Here is Lopez, we are drying out already. High overcast, windy and muddy streets.
Sorry to hear about the destruction, I hope your mules made it to high ground.

Mula - 8-25-2013 at 07:36 AM

So do I. Chuparosa is still at the corral - or what is left of it.

Celia from Comondu and Alazan from San Javier are on the move.

So who knows where they will go.

Traditionally - mules like burros - return to their place of birth.

SharonT - 8-25-2013 at 07:49 AM

We have a house on the river in Mulege andwe received an email from a friend in Mulege this morning that all is well.

redmesa - 8-25-2013 at 08:03 AM

Bahia Asuncion how fare thee ?

[Edited on 8-25-2013 by redmesa]

Pescador - 8-25-2013 at 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
I guess that means the road into Chivato is gone. How's the wind, tides and surge? Anyone in Chivato?

We put up the hurricane curtains at Lynne's house but we are in San Bruno. Heard that the road was OK, there was not enough rain to get the arroyos flooding. today the sun is out and things are already starting to dry up.

mulegemichael - 8-25-2013 at 08:13 AM

SharonT...please check your U2U...thanks, mulegemichael

mtnpop - 8-25-2013 at 08:13 AM

Just got off the phone with friends in Mulege... wet and muddy but the river did not flood... so no major water event in the valley this time.. No loss of electric, phone or internet they said...
So this is good news for town and the riverbottom folks....
I believe they will let us know more later today...
Mulege deserved a break for awhile.....

mulegemichael - 8-25-2013 at 08:16 AM

Wowee, is that good news!!!...i might start drinking early today!

rts551 - 8-25-2013 at 08:27 AM

Quote:
Quote:

There is no KM 114 near Insurgentes.
LaPax to Insurgentes is La Paz 0 - Insurgentes 235.

Insuragentes to Loreto is Insurgentes 0 - Loreto 119.

Insurgentes to La Purisima is Insurgentes 0, La Purisma / San Juanico 130 - 150.

What is Insurgentes KM 114?

[Edited on 8-25-2013 by Mula]

As I said it was reported that way. Probably Loreto...but you obviously would know better.
Here is another report of the area

http://vizcainohoy.com/index.php/noticias/del-municipo/muleg...

mtnpop - 8-25-2013 at 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
Wowee, is that good news!!!...i might start drinking early today!

Sounds like a plan, I managed to get a battle of 1921 home to Colorado and might just have to indulge.....:lol:

shari - 8-25-2013 at 08:40 AM

Asuncion is getting the snot kicked out of it...I havent been to bed yet as it rained hard most of the night and we had to contantly wring towels out to keep ahead of the water upstairs in the new suite...dang.

We took a break to do a run about town...as expected roads are washed out, lots of flooding and arroyos running...it's still pi$$ing down rain hard and blowing about 25-30 knots...seems like we're in the thick of it right now still...it was a very very long night so I will post pics after a nap...hope Juan can keep up with the water.

Redmesa, the road in front of your place is pretty good...the road beside the beach house is washed out pretty good so the water drained there...looks like the beast is heading over land instead of out to sea...GN will get hammered and it floods badly there as it is so low....pics later if we still have internet.

oladulce - 8-25-2013 at 08:45 AM

Punta Pequeña, Central pacific side BCS 9AM- 1.08" rain so far. Heaviest last night (Saturday). Our weather gauge says Max wind has been 30mph. Current wind 15-27 SE. 100% cloud cover, drizzling, breezy. Non-surf producing system with medium whitecaps close to shore. Not one of those huge-waves-to-the-horizon kind of storms. Nice and fresh though.

While I've been typing the sky is brightening and some blue is visible.

windgrrl - 8-25-2013 at 08:48 AM

Thanks for the updates and photos. Sending best wishes to those dealing with the fallout of this storm. Hang on tight, Shari.

Hello Juliette?
http://www.wunderground.com/blog/Geary/comment.html?entrynum...

bajajudy - 8-25-2013 at 08:53 AM

Still raining here
And dark again

Mula - 8-25-2013 at 09:03 AM

Dark and light off and on and spatters of hard rain showers still going on in Lopez.

San Nicolas called and said the arroyo flooded, road may be out. Lots of rain and water there. Said the water is going down now. Don't know about any houses, etc.

Bob and Susan - 8-25-2013 at 10:11 AM

sunny and nice out here on the bay...

4 1/2 inches of water total
3 1/2 inches of water overnite

rts551 - 8-25-2013 at 10:22 AM

[img][/img]

Raod coming into Abreojos

Mexitron - 8-25-2013 at 10:33 AM

Going to be green in Abre for the next couple weeks...watch for snakes!

DENNIS - 8-25-2013 at 10:35 AM

Quote:
[img][/img]

Hard to believe that van made it through. Must have taken off the fan belt.

Barry A. - 8-25-2013 at 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
[img][/img]

Hard to believe that van made it through. Must have taken off the fan belt.

I'll say!!!! It's hard for me to believe that anyone would even try to cross THAT, knowing that in a few hours it will probably be over with.

Barry

willyAirstream - 8-25-2013 at 10:38 AM

Mulege electric just came back on. It poured heavily all night, but the river did not rise. Lots of thunder and lightning, strong gusts, but looks like little or no damage. Sun is out and the river road is drying fast. I have not been into town to see if the culvert bridge survived.
Sorry to hear of your loss Mula and others that received damage.

woody with a view - 8-25-2013 at 10:59 AM

Quote:
[img][/img]

you all realize that the intake air USUALLY gets pulled in right above the fan/radiator, right? water in your engine intake = death of the vehicle!

mulegemichael - 8-25-2013 at 11:32 AM

willy; thanks for the update amigo....now we just hold our breath waiting for the next one.

Mulegena - 8-25-2013 at 11:41 AM

Electrics just now back on in Loma Azul, Mulege.

Drove in to town; dead dog floating down-river. Did not check on the river culvert/"road".

Very tired. Much to do.

Sympathies to San Nicolas residents.
Stay safe, everyone.

DENNIS - 8-25-2013 at 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view

you all realize that the intake air USUALLY gets pulled in right above the fan/radiator, right? water in your engine intake = death of the vehicle!

I'm sure that's correct. I was in Army school for learning how to drive most everything they had at the time, and we covered a lot of circumstances, including driving under water wearing wetsuits.
All of the intake and exhaust was above water and we had to disconnect the fan so it wouldn't be like a Dodge blender throwing water everywhere. That was fun.

Another fun segment was having to winch a vehicle up the face of a cliff without killing ourselves. I guess I did good. I'm still here. :lol:

BajaBlanca - 8-25-2013 at 11:48 AM

IN A NUTSHELL= DAMAGE TO AT LEAST 3 SPOTS ON HIGHWAY 1 .... three accidents and 6 people hurt.

La Paz, Baja California Sur (BCS). Las lluvias registradas durante la madrugada de este domingo en el norte de Baja California Sur, por la depresión tropical Ivo, ocasionaron al menos tres cortes carreteros interrumpiendo la comunicación con el resto del estado.

La Secretaría de Comunicaciones y Transportes (SCT) confirmó que los tramos dañados de la carretera transpeninsular son en el kilómetro 87, 111 y 82, en la zona del municipio de Loreto, 360 kilómetros al norte de La Paz.

Informó que personal de la dependencia ya se encuentra trabajando en los puntos afectados para restablecer la comunicación y al mismo tiempo inspeccionando toda la zona para detectar otros daños.

La Policía Federal alertó a la población para que evite transitar por esta zona, donde ya se registraron percances automovilísticos.

De acuerdo con Protección Civil de Loreto, en los tramos afectados han ocurrido tres accidentes automovilísticos con un saldo de seis personas lesionadas, dos de ellas de gravedad.

Según el reporte más reciente del Servicio Meteorológico Nacional (SMN), Ivo se desplaza sobre aguas de menor temperatura por lo que seguirá debilitándose.

No obstante, advierte sobre el potencial de lluvias fuertes a intensas, de 20 hasta 150 milímetros por sus desprendimientos nubosos.

El sistema, que se localiza a 225 kilómetros al suroeste de Punta Abreojos, seguirá afectando la costa occidental de BCS, el sur de Sonora y note de Sinaloa en las siguientes horas.

Bob H - 8-25-2013 at 11:52 AM

DENNIS, we are glad you are "still here"... ;D

mulegejim - 8-25-2013 at 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view

I'm sure that's correct. I was in Army school for learning how to drive most everything they had at the time, and we covered a lot of circumstances, including driving under water wearing wetsuits.
All of the intake and exhaust was above water and we had to disconnect the fan so it wouldn't be like a Dodge blender throwing water everywhere. That was fun.

Another fun segment was having to winch a vehicle up the face of a cliff without killing ourselves. I guess I did good. I'm still here. :lol:

Much better with a diesel engine than a gas one.....no engine electrical to short out just need to worry about the air intake. Jim

pauldavidmena - 8-25-2013 at 12:15 PM

From what I'm reading here, Loreto has been hit particularly hard, with 200 homes flooded and 400 people evacuated.

BajaBlanca - 8-25-2013 at 12:16 PM

and La Bocana is also getting slammed .... strong winds that are non-stop and rain rain rain.

These were taken just a little while ago - looking towards the baseball fields (there was actually supposed to be a big game today between Asuncion and la Bocana!)

Mula - 8-25-2013 at 12:17 PM

The mules were found a little while ago - by the Loreto airport.

BajaBlanca - 8-25-2013 at 12:27 PM

good news !

Mulegena - 8-25-2013 at 12:39 PM

Quote:
The mules were found a little while ago - by the Loreto airport.
Don't tell me they ran there from their corral in San Nicolas. Glad all is well with you.

Mulegena - 8-25-2013 at 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
and La Bocana is also getting slammed .... strong winds that are non-stop and rain rain rain...

Take care, Coastal Folks. It's not over for you yet. Be careful out there.

News from Ignacio Springs-- their river did not flood!

Mula - 8-25-2013 at 12:50 PM

The mules were in Loreto at Rancho Loma Azul on the south bank of the San Telmo Arroyo.

rts551 - 8-25-2013 at 01:09 PM

wonder how hwy 1 is doing. looks like Baja (north) is getting pounded now.

http://www.wunderground.com/radar/mixedcomposite.asp?region=...

Ivo damage in Loreto

tehag - 8-25-2013 at 02:13 PM

Calle Madera in Loreto this morning. Two other roads, two houses, several vehicles, and two groves of palms and bamboo are gone from this stretch of Arroyo San Telmo. Ivo wasn't anywhere near the size and power of Paul last October, but the enormous amount of water dumped in such a very short time caused much worse damage.

Going south on Hwy 1 at the arroyo just north of Nopoló. About 8 AM. The work had started a half hour earlier.

Looking south across the gap as dirt is being dozed in.

Looking north across the gap as dirt is being dozed in.

The gap.

1st cars through, 2.5 hours to plug that gaping hole. They know how to land on their feet down here.

mulegemichael - 8-25-2013 at 02:21 PM

WOW!!!...just cannot believe how "finite" this friggin weather is down here.....it rained all night long in mulege, just like the past 4 storms that flooded our valley, but this time the river didn't flood!!...but loreto got the snot slapped outta them!....i feel blessed that we didn't have to do it AGAIN,(meaning the cleanup), but feel for the folks down south that endured mother nature's wrath this time around...

wakemall - 8-25-2013 at 03:16 PM

Thanks for the update and pictures

Bajagypsy - 8-25-2013 at 03:32 PM

Hope everyone is keeping safe. Our thoughts are with everyone.

Mulegena - 8-25-2013 at 04:53 PM

tehag, those photos are photo journalism-quality. Thank you.

Just heard from a friend in Loreto that town (or at least she) is without water for about 5 days.

Also she reports that the road to San Javier is not passable and medical assistance up there is requested. Darn!

woody with a view - 8-25-2013 at 04:57 PM

hearts go out to those in need!

chuckie - 8-25-2013 at 06:06 PM

Its over for now at least..I for one, learned a lesson from this, lived here for over 30years, and still learning....I was told tonite that my efforts to keep people informed was harassment? (One of the ostrichs) ....Same comment was made about Mulegena....SO: Chuckies new policy is: I am not going to ask anyone if they think its gonna rain until they are neck deep in water....My dog aint in this fight, I live on the hill..

Mexitron - 8-25-2013 at 06:36 PM

Any news from the Catavina area?

Mulegena - 8-25-2013 at 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Its over for now at least..I for one, learned a lesson from this, lived here for over 30years, and still learning....I was told tonite that my efforts to keep people informed was harassment? (One of the ostrichs) ....Same comment was made about Mulegena....SO: Chuckies new policy is: I am not going to ask anyone if they think its gonna rain until they are neck deep in water....My dog aint in this fight, I live on the hill..
I'm so glad Ivo gave Mulege a miss. Pure Luck this time. I've too many years here and horrible first-hand experience with the Mulege floods not to be concerned. Those who stayed in their homes on the river are fools, in my not humble-but very experienced opinion. They are Lucky Fools. Nonetheless I'll never close my door to anyone in need, whether they know they're in need or not.

DianaT - 8-25-2013 at 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
Quote:
I'm so glad Ivo gave Mulege a miss. Pure Luck this time. I've too many years here and horrible first-hand experience with the Mulege floods not to be concerned. Those who stayed in their homes on the river are fools, in my not humble-but very experienced opinion. They are Lucky Fools. Nonetheless I'll never close my door to anyone in need, whether they know they're in need or not.

How in the world could anyone think keeping people informed is harassment? Especially when one owns property and is not in the place where the storm hits, every accurate report is appreciated, as are the warnings based on previous experience, and you both know what can and has happened in Mulege when the big rains come. Keep on reporting and warning when the rains head you way. Then it is up to the listener to make their own decisions, but I still can't believe anyone would see it as harassment. Ni modo

IMHO, the only time it is not appreciated is when for the sake of drama, the information is exaggerated and I sure don't see any of that from what you two have reported.

KaceyJ - 8-25-2013 at 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
Quote:

How in the world could anyone think keeping people informed is harassment? Especially when one owns property and is not in the place where the storm hits, every accurate report is appreciated, as are the warnings based on previous experience, and you both know what can and has happened in Mulege when the big rains come. Keep on reporting and warning when the rains head you way. Then it is up to the listener to make their own decisions, but I still can't believe anyone would see it as harassment. Ni modo

IMHO, the only time it is not appreciated is when for the sake of drama, the information is exaggerated and I sure don't see any of that from what you two have reported.

Diana ,

Can almost guarantee you the the people accusing chuck -e are the same ones with real estate interest.

They try their best to keep the arroyo a secret till the next sucker/ill- informed comes along***

Chuckie , never give in ***

Tehag , Thank You for the Quality , informational pictorial post***

Ostriches indeed!

brewer - 8-25-2013 at 09:54 PM

I'll find out tomorrow if Ivo got far enough north to take out that new bridge near Gonzaga.

There is always hope.

tjsue - 8-26-2013 at 12:36 AM

Showers are predicted tomorrow for coastal San Diego, but I hear East County is getting hammered now.

DaliDali - 8-26-2013 at 02:36 AM

Millions of caterpillars are coming and then the butterflies soon after....watch for them.

Mexitron - 8-26-2013 at 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tjsue
Showers are predicted tomorrow for coastal San Diego, but I hear East County is getting hammered now.

Ranchita had over 3 inches, Agua Caliente had over 2 inches in 30 minutes...

Bajagypsy - 8-26-2013 at 06:29 AM

Any word from Asuncion?

chuckie - 8-26-2013 at 06:34 AM

I was just wondering the same thing????

rts551 - 8-26-2013 at 07:46 AM

power has been out along the coast.

rhintransit - 8-26-2013 at 08:12 AM

anyone know for sure if Hwy 1 is open from Loreto, or at least the airport there, to Nopolo/LB?

zforbes - 8-26-2013 at 08:42 AM

We have power; we have internet; damage is minimal compared to other storms I've weathered here. We are going out to take pictures and check in with other Nomads. In the meantime, you can check the public photos posted on

https://www.facebook.com/likethecomet

for yesterday morning's photos. Shari is well, if tired...we've all had a lot of sopping up to do from wind blown rain under doors and through window casings...and of course, roof leaks.

Edit: Also, we just had a call from Mercedes, the proprietor at Puerto Nuevo, where we had reservations for a couple of days. She says the roads are washed out and three more days of rain are forecast.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajagypsy
Any word from Asuncion?

[Edited on 8-26-2013 by zforbes]

Doug/Vamonos - 8-26-2013 at 08:58 AM

I saw San Felipe is expecting thunderstorms the rest of the week. Anyone know about the road and bridges from the border to GN?

BajaLuna - 8-26-2013 at 09:02 AM

Had a BIG event here at our house this week-end and so I am just now able to get on BN to tune in to what has been going on. WOW!

thanks so much for all the updates, everyone!

Bajagypsy - 8-26-2013 at 09:20 AM

Thank god, you are ok zforbes. I sent you a message on facebook!

rhintransit

tehag - 8-26-2013 at 09:43 AM

Hwy 1 is open from Loreto at least to the north entrance at Nopoló.

Udo - 8-26-2013 at 10:06 AM

How do you get your internet in BA, Krystal?

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaLuna
Had a BIG event here at our house this week-end and so I am just now able to get on BN to tune in to what has been going on. WOW!

thanks so much for all the updates, everyone!

Mx-1 clear Ensenada - Mulege report

Mulegena - 8-26-2013 at 10:16 AM

Relatives drove in last night, no problems.

BajaLuna - 8-26-2013 at 10:26 AM

Udo, we r still at home in WA right now, but will be leaving here on Sept 7th to head down to BA for 2 weeks.

If you need us to do anything, let me know.

And if anyone needs anything brought down, let us know, we should be in San Diego on Sept. 8th and 9th.

a little worried about our house in BA, hope all is ok!

stay safe, everyone!

toneart - 8-26-2013 at 10:42 AM

Glad Mulege caught a break, for once! That is good news. Sounds like the coast really got pounded. Hopefully, you can get cleaned up soon.

Southern CA desert is getting badly flooded. We are not having rain issues in NoCal; just lots of smoke here in the foothills.

DavidE - 8-26-2013 at 11:36 AM

8/26/13 Desde Bahía Asunción

My rain gauge measured 7-9/16" rainfall since Friday. Max wind gusts were around 25 mph.

Asphalt main street covered with various amounts of silt, none of it seems to be more than a couple of inches in spots.

Some side dirt (sand) streets have considerable erosion, making them passable with 4WD.

Power flickered a couple of times, but no outages.

Undoubtedly poor people living in jacales got soaked. Kids did not go to school today. Eduardo returned from San Ignacio at 8:00 PM last night in a 2WD pickup truck. Said conditions there were similar to those I saw here.

Wishing everyone the best.

B-I-G money in the cape and government center in La Paz pretty much insures Mex 1 will be repaired with no screwing around.

re: Photos above. SCT needs to go to school to learn how to build a proper pier for a highway bridge. They never learn.

BajaLuna - 8-26-2013 at 12:25 PM

thanks for the update, DavidE.

Mexitron - 8-26-2013 at 01:04 PM

Friends made it back from Seven Sisters area but got dumped on---I'm sure we'll see some pics.

Mexitron - 8-26-2013 at 01:08 PM

BTW invest 95E is headed north and looks quite vigorous convection wise...could skirt BCS according to a couple models.

mulegemichael - 8-26-2013 at 01:51 PM

BajaLuna....where in washington do you live??...we reside in sequim when we're not in mulege...mike and roz.

BajaLuna - 8-26-2013 at 02:00 PM

We are in Snohomish County! We were up in Sequim last weekend, have relatives there! And we LOVE your lavender farm, have been there many times!

DavidE - 8-26-2013 at 02:29 PM

One thing I discovered as a Amateur Junior Associate Part Time Meteorologist...

When a substantial system passes over a 25+C sea surface, the churning leaves the water temperature 3-5C cooler until solar can re-heat it, usually a week or so.

Warm water is the fuel. Seventy octane is not quite the same as 100 octane. Does not mean "no action" but it does mean "less" action. If that system even grazes the coast convection will suck most of it up into the coastal mountains of mainland Mexico and vampire it into insignificance. In Michoacan I saw 17" of rainfall in 20 hours on the fringes of a hurricane. Inland Apatzingan reported the eqvt of 2mm less than a YARD of water in the same time. Biblical grade of water fell. Good thing the town is well up on the side of an arroyo. The flow scoured the gorge to bare hard rock. On a plateau a quarter acre in area, with the ocean on three sides I had two inches of water flowing. Incredible stuff.

Russ - 8-26-2013 at 02:52 PM

Just took these from eebmike

rts551 - 8-26-2013 at 03:02 PM

ignore all those models. The AJAPTM knows better. I know another Amateur who thought that IVO was dead on arrival as well. I am watching the experts myself.
 Pages:  1  2