BajaNomad

Tropical Storm Lorena; LOOKS LIKE ANOTHER STORM IS FORMING DOWN SOUTH

Pages:  1  2

windgrrl - 9-6-2013 at 11:56 AM

http://www.meteosurfcanarias.com/webcams/new/beach-cams-prov...

Bill Collector - 9-6-2013 at 12:27 PM

We are just North of Rancho Leonero about 2 miles..the seas are flat calm at this time. We've had periods of intense rain. We've not had any winds so far but it looks like that could change later today.
Everyone stay safe

BajaNomad - 9-6-2013 at 01:27 PM

AT 1100 AM PDT...1800 UTC...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM LORENA WAS
LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 22.5 NORTH...LONGITUDE 109.9 WEST. LORENA IS
MOVING TOWARD THE NORTHWEST NEAR 12 MPH...19 KM/H. THIS GENERAL
MOTION WITH A DECREASE IN FORWARD SPEED IS EXPECTED OVER THE NEXT
COUPLE OF DAYS. THE CENTER OF LORENA SHOULD BE NEAR OR
OVER THE SOUTHERN BAJA CALIFORNIA PENINSULA LATER TODAY.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS REMAIN NEAR 40 MPH...65 KM/H...WITH HIGHER
GUSTS. WEAKENING SHOULD START BY TOMORROW WHEN LORENA INTERACTS
WITH LAND.

TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 70 MILES...110 KM
FROM THE CENTER.

lorena-007.jpg - 49kB

Juanita - 9-6-2013 at 02:12 PM

Well, the critters certainly think we're about to have a storm in San Ignacio. A mouse just ran by, and I had to usher two toads out of the garden bathroom. Lots of storm clouds; wind picking up. I put out a rain gauge. Best of luck to all aboard the southern peninsula.

bajajudy - 9-6-2013 at 02:22 PM

Pretty quiet here. It has lightened up.
Not much wind
No rain
77 on the porch

shari - 9-6-2013 at 02:30 PM

we can see the big bad clouds over you now Juanita....please let us know if it starts to rain....so I can put my tent down!

Judy...I wonder if it has passed you by? or just an intermission?

Bajatripper - 9-6-2013 at 03:19 PM

Overcast and windy in La Paz. We got a nice amount of rain starting just before dawn and into the day. School was cancelled for today, don't want to get those feet a little wet, I guess. Reminded me a lot of life on Whidbey Island, when schools were closed for any amount of snow that fell, much to the surprise of people from the midwest.

bajajudy - 9-6-2013 at 03:51 PM

Shari
Yes I think that it has passed us!

Juanita - 9-6-2013 at 05:41 PM

Has been thundering all around us off and on, but no rain in town. They have had some rain at San Zacharias, on the road to Laguna San Ignacio.

shari - 9-6-2013 at 07:33 PM

gracias Juanita...I put the fly on the tent but will sleep in it tonight as it's super muggy here....spectacular clouds and should be a good light show in awhile here.

bajalinda - 9-6-2013 at 07:45 PM

Very dark skies here (at La Aguja) before the sun set, but no rain yet. The arroyo that we can see here from our place started running around 7pm - then it tapered off but still has standing water. Had to make a run to La Paz this morning and on the way back we had to wait while the level of a running arroyo out closer to the highway went down and slowed down enough to be able to cross. So there was very heavy and very localized rain near here late afternoon - enough to make a couple of arroyos run.

[Edited on 9-7-2013 by bajalinda]

BajaNomad - 9-6-2013 at 11:43 PM

AT 1100 PM PDT...0600 UTC...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL DEPRESSION LORENA
WAS LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 23.1 NORTH...LONGITUDE 111.5 WEST. LORENA
IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 9 MPH...15 KM/H. A
DECREASE IN FORWARD SPEED AND A TURN TO THE NORTH-NORTHWEST ARE
EXPECTED OVER THE WEEKEND. ON THE FORECAST TRACK...THE CENTER OF
LORENA SHOULD REMAIN NEAR THE SOUTHERN BAJA CALIFORNIA PENINSULA
DURING THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS HAVE DECREASED TO NEAR 35 MPH...55 KM/H...
WITH HIGHER GUSTS. ADDITIONAL WEAKENING IS EXPECTED...AND LORENA
IS FORECAST TO BECOME A REMNANT LOW ON SATURDAY.

lorena-008.jpg - 49kB

baja nomad

bajadave1 - 9-7-2013 at 04:18 AM

can you give us a link to the storm graphic you posted? gracias.

Hook - 9-7-2013 at 06:56 AM

Lorena is toast...........or maybe a cream puff. It never really got organized and remained at the bottom of the criteria for even a tropical storm. Now a TD and expected to be a RL in 24 hours or less.

So, what kind of rain totals are you estimating over the last 36-48 hours; those of you from the East Cape to the tip? Both sides of the peninsula, of course. Does anyone think they got six inches? Not counting the mountains, as that would be an unobserved guess.

nada

BFS - 9-7-2013 at 07:10 AM

Todos Santos received sprinkles and nothing more. No real rain,
no wind.
It's like it never happened.

[Edited on 9-7-2013 by BFS]

vandenberg - 9-7-2013 at 07:16 AM

Dark skies and lightning here in Nopolo/Loreto. Starting to rain.

Turned into a gully washer.
Lightning storm right overhead.

[Edited on 9-7-2013 by vandenberg]

Loboron - 9-7-2013 at 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadave1
can you give us a link to the storm graphic you posted? gracias.

http://www.cyclocane.com/lorena-storm-tracker/

bajajudy - 9-7-2013 at 07:18 AM

We had a rain in the middle of the night, no wind.
I would be surprised if we got over an inch.

Mula - 9-7-2013 at 07:19 AM

Nothing happening in Lopez.
Other than it was almost 80 degrees at 6am and very muggy.
Unusual for Lopez.
Clear skies and sunny.

Did have a little bit of heavy rain yesterday afternoon at 3.

shari - 9-7-2013 at 07:23 AM

thanks Mula....I was hoping you would post as it looked like it may get some weather where you are....please keep us posted. It's 80 degrees here with 89% humidity...I took the fly off the tent to sleep cooler last night....glad Loreto was spared more rain! have a great hot day all

laventana - 9-7-2013 at 07:25 AM

in Laventana we maybe received 1/2 inch to 1 inch of rain depending on which side of the town you live on. South part the lower where El Sergento the roads had minor ruts. No arroyos ran here.

loboron

bajadave1 - 9-7-2013 at 07:31 AM

ron, gracias.
dave

monoloco - 9-7-2013 at 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Lorena is toast...........or maybe a cream puff. It never really got organized and remained at the bottom of the criteria for even a tropical storm. Now a TD and expected to be a RL in 24 hours or less.

So, what kind of rain totals are you estimating over the last 36-48 hours; those of you from the East Cape to the tip? Both sides of the peninsula, of course. Does anyone think they got six inches? Not counting the mountains, as that would be an unobserved guess.
.39" in Pescadero.

Loreto, how are things now?

Mulegena - 9-7-2013 at 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Dark skies and lightning here in Nopolo/Loreto. Starting to rain.

Turned into a gully washer.
Lightning storm right overhead.

[Edited on 9-7-2013 by vandenberg]

"Gully washer" isn't a term that's used lightly around these parts. Everything ok?

Clear sky, no wind, usual hot and humid September in Mulege weather here this morning, btw.

Bill Collector - 9-7-2013 at 08:52 AM

BuenaVista/Los Barriles 3" rain- it's so green

she's gone

durrelllrobert - 9-7-2013 at 09:06 AM

www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_ep2+shtml/055147.shtml?5...

...and she did less damage than her namesake Lorena Bobbitt did 20 years ago :lol::lol:

[Edited on 9-7-2013 by durrelllrobert]

bajajudy - 9-7-2013 at 09:23 AM

Just back from our morning swim.
Absolutely no debris in the water, so no run off, so not a lot of rain.
Kind of a non-event here. Love the rain and the dark daylight hours.
Everything is already super green.
Can you say insects? Waiting for the frog hatch.
All is well here.

David K - 9-7-2013 at 09:26 AM

Nice!

vandenberg - 9-7-2013 at 09:27 AM

Far from gone here. Still pouring rain, enough to interfere with the satellite system.

Hook - 9-7-2013 at 09:39 AM

Yeah, it looks like most of the remnant moisture is up by Loreto. Any wind to report?

Depending on it's direction and viability, I suppose it could still dump considerable rain in the Mulege area.:(

[Edited on 9-7-2013 by Hook]

Mulegena - 9-7-2013 at 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Far from gone here. Still pouring rain, enough to interfere with the satellite system.

12:15 pm Mulege
We're getting a hit of that rain now.
I know its just an off-shoot cloud, but they do come loaded for bear down here. Hope it didn't harm the Loreto area, or anywhere else.

Juanita - 9-7-2013 at 11:45 AM

Now it is pouring in San Ignacio.

Bob and Susan - 9-7-2013 at 11:49 AM

out on the bay in mulege we got about 2 inches in 45 minutes

lots of water

1againrain.jpg - 43kB

shari - 9-7-2013 at 12:17 PM

hmmmm....maybe we will get some rain after all....anybody in Abreojos or La Bocana to report if it starts to rain there?

last evenings clouds moved in quickly overhead and we prepared for wind & rain...nada! The first photo is from Boe4Fun's place and the 2nd i looking towards our Inn from Ensenadita...Diver's lot.

today has similar clouds coming so maybe we'll get a second chance this afternoon???

:o

DavidE - 9-7-2013 at 12:32 PM

Wind came up. Fat chance :(

toneart - 9-8-2013 at 03:23 PM

So, I am guessing it's over now. I'm sure we would have heard if there had been major damage anywhere. How is everything in Mulege?

Bajatripper - 9-8-2013 at 03:52 PM

Spent a nice, overcast day at Tecolote yesterday. It rained a lot during the night, the pool, which we usually keep about three inches below the rim, was full this morning. Little in the way of lightning and thunder, just one bolt.
Looks like we could get some more rain this afternoon and evening, with light breezes.

David K - 9-8-2013 at 03:54 PM

Miss the night swims in your pool! Tecolote was fun except for the jellyfish part!

[Edited on 9-8-2013 by David K]

Juanita - 9-8-2013 at 05:01 PM

Ahoy the storm thread. Rain is coming down like cats and dogs right now in San Ignacio. Yesterday we had 1 1/2 inch of rain.

Juanita - 9-8-2013 at 05:03 PM

The above posted at 6:03 p.m.

DianaT - 9-8-2013 at 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Juanita
The above posted at 6:03 p.m.

How is the river?

shari - 9-8-2013 at 06:18 PM

wow....yesterday big black clouds came over and we prepared for rain...it was the sweetest drizzle for around maybe a half hour and the sun came out to make rainbows....then went flat CALM for an unusually serene sunset on the west coast.

and then just now it started a torrential downpour out of nowhere that lasted about 15 minutes luckily and it's a repeat of last evening...gorgeous saturated colours, fresh rain smell and very happy plants.

chuckie - 9-8-2013 at 06:29 PM

Nice rain in Mulege, got wet on my way home from Carlos's forgot my hat...

Barry A. - 9-8-2013 at 07:10 PM

Both those shots are total winners, Shari. Just beautiful!!!!

Barry

Juanita - 9-9-2013 at 07:12 AM

Yesterday's evening rain brought us two inches in half an hour here in my garden downtown. At the river the water ran over the dam two inches or so. Must not have rained as much in the huge watershed toward the east. Fortunately, almost no wind.

DianaT - 9-9-2013 at 08:21 AM

Quote:
Yesterday's evening rain brought us two inches in half an hour here in my garden downtown. At the river the water ran over the dam two inches or so. Must not have rained as much in the huge watershed toward the east. Fortunately, almost no wind.

Dang, that is a REAL downpour. It is good to hear that there was no real flooding.

DavidE - 9-9-2013 at 10:31 AM

Goes to show you the definition of "micro-climate"...

At this end of the burg it "rained" so little, you could look at the ground after it was "all over" and count the spots where the drops had hit.

Still, it's nice to be sleeping under a comforter at night (after midnight).

shari - 9-9-2013 at 11:36 AM

wow, that's crazy....although I have seen the Island get drenched and ne'er a drop here at the point....it was a deluge here!

rts551 - 9-9-2013 at 12:45 PM

No rain in ABrejos. Just hot!!!! but Vizcaino flooded yesterday

vgabndo - 9-9-2013 at 12:47 PM

David, We used to talk about getting a four inch rain at San Nicolas. That meant that you could measure about four inches between the marks left by the drops on a car hood!!:lol::lol:

DavidE - 9-9-2013 at 12:56 PM

Looking at the thunderclouds to the south yesterday, I could all-too-clearly see black curtains extending downward - someone was getting it, good. I'm glad Vizcaino got drenched (I did not say flooded). Helping those farms water all that good produce. Steers were laying down, chewing their cud. Fat and sassy. Well, unless something totally weird happens, it is still early in hurricane/tropical storm season and perhaps the Vizcaino peninsula will get another drenching before the next shrivel begins...

rufflife - 9-9-2013 at 02:55 PM

Quote:

I am happy to hear there were no problems in town (this time)! San Ignacio was not so fortunate last year.

The road out to San Ignacio Lagoon was not so fortunate this round. I am hearing reports from the lagoon that at least 2 sections of the road (across the salt flats) will need to be repaired when the water recedes.

We need a new thread... "Baja's Rainy Season in Full Swing"

Mulegena - 9-9-2013 at 10:22 PM

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar and sometimes a deluge of water in the desert is just rain, and that's what this is. TS Lorena is over.

Sooo, I'll start a new thread, weather and road report.

gnukid - 9-9-2013 at 10:44 PM

Let's transition the thread into Dengue Reports, Bugs, Moths, Flowers, Waterfalls and Fabulosa

laventana - 9-9-2013 at 11:21 PM

speaking of bugs, anyone have any way to help mitigate with no-see-ums/gnats/bo bos what ever they actually are. what are they?

What I had found in the past is a scrambled egg not cooked at room temperature placed near where I am sitting in a shallow bowl would end up with a many dead in it. Guess how I figured that one out, I have outdoor kitchens. But that only helps when I am sitting not when I am out in the yard working.

[Edited on 9-10-2013 by laventana]

mulegemichael - 9-10-2013 at 05:36 AM

multiple fans blowing will help reduce the population right around your head...after past storms, i place a large fan about 6 inches from my face to survive.

bajajudy - 9-10-2013 at 06:58 AM

Rosemary oil works.

mtnpop - 9-10-2013 at 09:02 AM

since the topic has switched to bo-bos
we are going to try this when we get back in Oct. It's for fruit flies but maybe worth a try.
take a large mouth jar or small bowl
fill 1/2 ++ with apple cider vinegar
add a few drops of dish soap
fill with water until foam reaches the top
set out and watch them go directly to it...
I have also heard that beer, rum, red wine vinegar, among other alcohols work but not interested in wasting a good drink..
when the foam goes away, pour off a little and add water again...
good luck....
I also have a new mosquito trap, easy to make and works similar...

DavidE - 9-10-2013 at 09:10 AM

Bobos are bugs that fly up your nose and into your ears on the mainland.

Jejenes are 1% body and 99% teeth.

Thank goodness they do not have Tabanos here on the Baja California peninsula.

Invisibility Cloak... just like Harry Potter's

Mulegena - 9-10-2013 at 10:38 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23987827

laventana - 9-10-2013 at 11:21 AM

I have tried sugars, vinegars and so on on the bo-bos did not work for me. I do use them for fruit flies if they come up which is rare but does happen. But if you have different results please let me know as I am more than willing to try again and again.

If the mosquito one is adding yeast I have tried that one and did not work for me. What I do do is put a fake breeding ground of pot of water out. I let the mosquitoes lay their eggs there if they are going to lay eggs why not be in control. Then I clean out the pot as soon as I see the hatching and repeat. I figure correctly or not they would go lay the eggs somewhere else and I would have more mosquitoes to kill. This way I stopped at least these. .

Bo Bos seem to be heat seakers(infrared), that is why they go for ears, eyes, nose, mouth and open cuts. I wear a mosquito net hat on my head when doing yard work when they are bad. Obviously we give off more heat signature when working too. Right now the bobos are not bad for some reason. So have been attacking the weeds now vs when they grow a bit when the bo bos seem to really get bad.. I seem to recall bobos getting bad almost immediately after a rain, where it does not appear to be the case.

Edited, Just so it is on this page, I have been successful in the past with having a bowl with warm(room temp) uncooked scrambled eggs sitting near me and other places with being a trap. When eating breakfast have a bowl sitting there and they go there and drown vs eat me.

[Edited on 9-10-2013 by laventana]

Hook - 9-10-2013 at 12:40 PM

The mosquito net head covers are really cheap at Walmart. In sporting goods. Like about two bucks with a drawstring around the neck. They are the only thing we have found to get some relief from the bobitos.

laventana - 9-10-2013 at 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
The mosquito net head covers are really cheap at Walmart. In sporting goods. Like about two bucks with a drawstring around the neck. They are the only thing we have found to get some relief from the bobitos.
now if they would just put a fan on top of these I think I could survive, I get a bit warm inside mine. It is mazing how much heat those things hold in. Mine are military surplus but not quite that low of a price. also when talking to someone you feel so un-earthly with those on.
 Pages:  1  2