BajaNomad

Will the cooling of the arctic ocean improve fishing in Baja?

Pages:  1  2

Barry A. - 9-15-2013 at 10:39 PM

You have a few "right", but mostly what you say immediately above is rediculous, IMO.

You have branded me in your own mind, apparently, and I think come to some wrong conclusions. That is a shame.

Barry

Iflyfish - 9-15-2013 at 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
I am assuming that you are being sarcastic, Fish----why I can only guess. Other than that I really don't know what you are trying to say. I am an Agnostic, and always have been.

To the best of my knowledge, I don't lie, and my close friends and Family members don't either.

You may live in a different environment than I do.

Barry

I'm not being sarcastic, that would be lying, like everyone else in my rotten little part of the world and I sure don't want to be like them! I listen to my better angels.

IflyfishwithskipjackwhoclaimshumansarecongentialliersandwillnodoubtgotohellandhangoutwithOscarWildeandBaudelaire

Iflyfish - 9-15-2013 at 10:44 PM

I have not branded you Barry, I have bantered with you. Have a good one amigo. I just wanted to throw some sand in the sandbox, haven't been here in a while. I appreciate what you do for this board, and I am not lying!

Iflyfish

Skipjack Joe - 9-16-2013 at 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
What are you suggesting we do? Stop living... give more money to Al Gore... what?

We are doing the best possible to reduce pollution... even things that are good, like CO2... what all animal exhale and all plants inhale...

What is the crisis/ panic agenda's purpose... I think everyone is aware and is trying better... Man is not an alien here, he is a natural part of this planet, afterall.
I guess you didn't read the last part of my post where I said we shouldn't worry about it because there's little we can do, and that all these greenhouse gas mitigation schemes are scams. No we are not aliens here, we are animals, and we are temporarily out of balance with our environment, and like other species that become out of balance, we will eventually have our numbers reduced by natural processes like increased mortality from pollutants, disease, predation (war), inability to produce enough food, etc. until we again achieve a natural balance. You can't fight mother nature.

Mono,

It seems to me that saying that we are destroying our planet but can't do anything about it is almost the same as claiming that we have no effect on the planet and nothing needs to be done. In both cases there is a recommendation for inactivity. That's primarily why Barry likes your analysis.

I had this strange thought recently that in the end our animal kingdom will consist of pet cats and dogs, barnyard animals, and parakeets. We'll conclude that's all we really need anyway.

Kudos to Mexitron who points out that one year of ice cap size change does not show any climate trend. The right laughs at GW trends of a few hundred years as being too short yet here we are to take 1 year as a reversal. I am repeating your words Mexitron because they make so much sense.

Regarding why lying is wrong: because it destroys civilization. Civilizations are built on truths - one brick on top of the other.

There are many forms of lying and motivations for doing so. To me the most interesting form is not what is said in politics, nor wall street analysts who misrepresent facts in order to line their pockets. The most interesting is self deception. IMO self deception is ultimately a form of cowardice.

monoloco - 9-16-2013 at 02:10 AM

Joe, Perhaps I'm too cynical, but as I sit here watching the glow of the local dump in it's 7th day of burning, I can't help but contemplate that the same thing is probably occurring at thousands of locations around the planet along with the untold millions of internal combustion engines, power plants, factories, slash fires, and field burnings that pour millions of tons of pollutants into our atmosphere on a daily basis, and think that a civilization that is built on a model of perpetual growth is probably doomed to implode. I don't mean to imply that we should do nothing, but I am skeptical that our efforts will have any effect more than delaying the inevitable when the root of the problem is that there are just too many people on the planet. Any steps that we take to reduce pollution are likely negated by the ever increasing global population and their need for resources. The only real solution to the greenhouse gas problem is to reduce the population, something that is nearly impossible to legislate without a repressive global government. Consequently, I feel that the only thing that will eventually lead to a reduced population is some sort of a global pandemic, famine, or war. I don't think this is a pessimistic view, but a realistic analysis based on the way nature regulates other species when they outgrow their resources.

Barry A. - 9-16-2013 at 08:13 AM

Quote:
Joe, Perhaps I'm too cynical, but as I sit here watching the glow of the local dump in it's 7th day of burning, I can't help but contemplate that the same thing is probably occurring at thousands of locations around the planet along with the untold millions of internal combustion engines, power plants, factories, slash fires, and field burnings that pour millions of tons of pollutants into our atmosphere on a daily basis, and think that a civilization that is built on a model of perpetual growth is probably doomed to implode. I don't mean to imply that we should do nothing, but I am skeptical that our efforts will have any effect more than delaying the inevitable when the root of the problem is that there are just too many people on the planet. Any steps that we take to reduce pollution are likely negated by the ever increasing global population and their need for resources. The only real solution to the greenhouse gas problem is to reduce the population, something that is nearly impossible to legislate without a repressive global government. Consequently, I feel that the only thing that will eventually lead to a reduced population is some sort of a global pandemic, famine, or war. I don't think this is a pessimistic view, but a realistic analysis based on the way nature regulates other species when they outgrow their resources.

I agree 100% with your analysis, Mono, and you have expressed it very succinctly and with wisdom, IMO.

Barry

Barry A. - 9-16-2013 at 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Iflyfish
I have not branded you Barry, I have bantered with you. Have a good one amigo. I just wanted to throw some sand in the sandbox, haven't been here in a while. I appreciate what you do for this board, and I am not lying!

Iflyfish

Hmmmm, I think there is a compliment in there, and for that I am thankful to you, Fish. From your other recent posts in this thread I was not sure. With a few exceptions, I think we ALL contribute to this Board, and that is why I remain--------after 10 years, you all seem like friends, if you know what I mean.

I asked my wife of 31 years this morning if she had ever caught me in a lie--------her reply was "NO, and it sometimes drives me up the wall". Hmmmmm, don't quite know what to think about that reply. :lol:

I do know that I have never caught HER in a lie, and don't believe she does lie.

On edit: "self-deception is the worst form of lying and is cowerdice" says SkipJack------(or words to that effect). Hmmmm, I am not sure that tracks, but an interesting concept. I will have to think about that one------'cowerdice' is sure a trigger-word.

Barry

[Edited on 9-16-2013 by Barry A.]

Ateo - 9-16-2013 at 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Curt63

Perfect.

Ateo - 9-16-2013 at 09:27 AM

David: How can you say everyone is getting poorer? That's a pretty big statement that is obviously incorrect.

Iflyfish: I miss you on this board dude.

Another book on lying:

"Lying" by Sam Harris.

I have a digital copy that I will email anyone. The author says this is OK to do.

wessongroup - 9-16-2013 at 09:30 AM

Spot on mono ...:):)

And it isn't something "new" .... to the discussion ... anyone remember Zero Population Growth way back in the 60's ... never caught on HUH ... even in China

I'm thinking "comet" or "astroid" to make a real change :biggrin:

[Edited on 9-16-2013 by wessongroup]

Barry A. - 9-16-2013 at 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
David: How can you say everyone is getting poorer? That's a pretty big statement that is obviously incorrect.

Iflyfish: I miss you on this board dude.

Another book on lying:

"Lying" by Sam Harris.

I have a digital copy that I will email anyone. The author says this is OK to do.

With all respect, Ateo, why would one want to read a book on "lying"??? Don't we know what lying is?? All this relying on, or careing what an author says or thinks on subjects like "lying" is beyond me, and smacks of mental-masturbation to me.

When asked a question, just be honest--------is that so hard?

Perhaps my strict views were partially shaped by my attendance at the US Naval Academy where "lying" is prohibited, and cause for expulsion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honor_Concept

Barry

BajaRat - 9-16-2013 at 11:45 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:
Originally posted by Curt63

Beautiful

What is "beautiful"?? How can we "create" a better world-------for who or what??? Impliment all the things that the Global Warming crowd wants and the world of man shrinks to new lows, at best, IMO.

Barry

For who or what ?
How about for who and what we have left on the planet. Ether we serve our environment better or we will all get served what we have made of it. I don't know whats worse to label a perspective or studies as alarmist for bringing up the fact that we have let industry and governments become the stewards of our planet or to be a fatalist and say oh well there's nothing we can do about it. We can all do something to reduce our personal footprint on this earth. Throw back the small ones, don't take what you can't use, compost instead of industrial fertilizer, shop for locally grown produce, eat whats in season, take a walk ( while you still can ), turn off a light your not using, make one trip to town instead of two, on and on and on. Funny part is those are all conservative ideas labeled as extremist by the consumer, commercial driven media. If you think any media source is there to serve you first instead of there owners, employes and sponsors then their work is done. I would go out on a limb and say one of the greatest things you could do for yourself and this planet is to watch less of it and do something more productive and positive.
Hope you like Humboldt Squid cause they seem to love the changes we, yes we have brought by drastically reducing the apex predators through unchecked over fishing and industrial pollutants.
I'm sure all those glacier photo's from before and after are photo shopped and those NOAA temperature readings are doctored just to pee you off.
In Bahia Asuncion those alarmists at the Coop have recently spent alot of time and money to build a laboratory to raise abalone " seed " . Asuncion lies at the southern most reaches of the North American Giant Kelp forests which is the food source for the abalone and many other local species the community relies on for food and income. Those alarmists at the Coop realize that even normal cycling water temp increases decrease the number and size of their target species, but permanent temp increases will render it inhospitable to abalone production that they are so carefully managing now. Livelihoods in small remote fishing villages around the world will undoubtedly be affected by even small sea temp changes. But don"t worry or fret, you should still be able to get your filet o fish sandwich for a while because industrial fishing operations will rape the Pollock fishery until its no longer profitable.

Realize real lies, kill your TV and spend some time with family and friends while you still can. :cool:

Barry A. - 9-16-2013 at 11:50 AM

Well said, Rat, and I agree with you.

Barry

mtgoat666 - 9-16-2013 at 12:09 PM

y'all should read "Hot, Flat and Crowded."

My 2 cents: the USA can either be in the fore-front of a green revolution, or be playing catch-up in some other country's dust!

of course, you can stick your head in the sand and keep repeating: "lies, lies, lies!"

mtgoat666 - 9-16-2013 at 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666

My 2 cents: the USA can either be in the fore-front of a green revolution, or be playing catch-up in some other country's dust!

of course, you can stick your head in the sand and keep repeating: "lies, lies, lies!"

of course, many of you will never read a book by a NY Times associate, so here is cliff notes version from wikipedia:

In the book, Friedman addresses America’s surprising loss of focus and national purpose since 9/11 and the global environmental crisis. He advocates that global warming, rapidly growing populations, and the expansion of the global middle class is leading to a convergence of hot, flat, and crowded. The solution to the environmental threat and the best way for America to renew its purpose is linked: take the lead in a worldwide effort to replace wasteful, inefficient energy practices with a strategy for clean energy, energy efficiency, and conservation. This means that the big economic opportunities have shifted from IT (Information Technology) in recent decades to ET (renewable Environmental Technologies).[2] Friedman frequently uses 2050 as a marker for when it will be too late for our world to reverse the harmful effects of climate change.
Friedman writes that the needed green revolution of the title would be more ambitious than any project so far undertaken: It will be the biggest innovation project in American history; and it will change everything from transportation to the utilities industry. This project is described in terms of nation-building.
The book alleges we've gone from the "Cold War Era" to the "Energy-Climate Era", marked by five major problems: growing demand for scarcer supplies, massive transfer of wealth to petrodictators, disruptive climate change, poor have-nots falling behind, and an accelerating loss of biodiversity. A green strategy is not simply about generating electric power, it is a new way of generating national power.[2]
Many of the primary points of the book were built out of his New York Times Magazine essay "The Power of Green"[3] and the "Foreign Policy" article "The First Law of Petropolitics"[4]

MMc - 9-16-2013 at 12:29 PM

Nicely put Rat, We all should think about the things we only use once. the world would be cleaner.

soulpatch - 9-16-2013 at 12:42 PM

Christ, I hate it when MTNGOAT says something that makes sense and destroys the image I prefer to have of him.:lol:

I read something about this preference in a study somewhere.....:saint:

Nice read and recommendation. Clearly the USA needs to lead. This would take real courage by the citizens of the USA and involve a sea change in the philosophy of cheaper is better and how we view products developed and manufactured in the USA vs. the cheapest piece of crap you can buy to save a penny.

BajaRat - 9-16-2013 at 01:04 PM

Right !
Think of all tech and production we could experience with that approach.
We can't compete with cheap labor and a disposable plastic product culture but we can compete with tech and products that last.
Example; The rubber buckets we use on the ranchito and abroad are Made in the USA, made from recycled tires, cost three times more but last a lifetime. There's a job not farmed out overseas and the worker spends his money here helping boost the economy.

I don't know how much money I spent on disposable plastic piece of S#@$ buckets but I do know I was contributing to land fills and a spiraling out of control trade deficit. :barf:

Barry A. - 9-16-2013 at 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRat
Right !
Think of all tech and production we could experience with that approach.
We can't compete with cheap labor and a disposable plastic product culture but we can compete with tech and products that last.
Example; The rubber buckets we use on the ranchito and abroad are Made in the USA, made from recycled tires, cost three times more but last a lifetime. There's a job not farmed out overseas and the worker spends his money here helping boost the economy.

I don't know how much money I spent on disposable plastic piece of S#@$ buckets but I do know I was contributing to land fills and a spiraling out of control trade deficit. :barf:

Yep------I have a couple of those "rubber buckets" made in the USA that I have had at least 20 years, stored outside, and still going strong. Excellent point.

barry

monoloco - 9-16-2013 at 01:31 PM

Given our current economic and political situation, the only thing that I see the US taking the lead in is corporate greed. It's very hard to build any kind of an altruistic vision for the betterment of the environment when so many more each year are just struggling to survive being fleeced by a fascist corporatocracy whose quest to monetize everything, knows no bounds, and reduces every good intention at solving environmental problems into some kind of scheme to enrich themselves.

Barry A. - 9-16-2013 at 01:59 PM

Quote:
Given our current economic and political situation, the only thing that I see the US taking the lead in is corporate greed. It's very hard to build any kind of an altruistic vision for the betterment of the environment when so many more each year are just struggling to survive being fleeced by a fascist corporatocracy whose quest to monetize everything, knows no bounds, and reduces every good intention at solving environmental problems into some kind of scheme to enrich themselves.

Ooooops, with the sprit of this comment you lost me totally-------I simply don't agree with your thrust here. The things you deride are the core of a Capitolist System---it's what makes it all work. Do you want to throw out the "system"? I sure don't.

barry

bajadogs - 9-16-2013 at 02:21 PM

This is worth a look. It shows the general direction of Arctic temps -

http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/arctic.sea.ice.inter...

Anyone wanna take bets on where that yellow line ends up in December?

[Edited on 9-16-2013 by bajadogs]

monoloco - 9-16-2013 at 02:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Ooooops, with the sprit of this comment you lost me totally-------I simply don't agree with your thrust here. The things you deride are the core of a Capitolist System---it's what makes it all work. Do you want to throw out the "system"? I sure don't.

barry
Barry, Do you really think that giant too big to fail, banking conglomerates who manipulate the monetary and financial system and who are aided, protected, and backstopped by the federal government, really should be the "core" of our economy?

Iflyfish - 9-16-2013 at 03:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Iflyfish

Hmmmm, I think there is a compliment in there, and for that I am thankful to you, Fish. From your other recent posts in this thread I was not sure. With a few exceptions, I think we ALL contribute to this Board, and that is why I remain--------after 10 years, you all seem like friends, if you know what I mean.

I asked my wife of 31 years this morning if she had ever caught me in a lie--------her reply was "NO, and it sometimes drives me up the wall". Hmmmmm, don't quite know what to think about that reply. :lol:

I do know that I have never caught HER in a lie, and don't believe she does lie.

On edit: "self-deception is the worst form of lying and is cowerdice" says SkipJack------(or words to that effect). Hmmmm, I am not sure that tracks, but an interesting concept. I will have to think about that one------'cowerdice' is sure a trigger-word.

Barry

"With a few exceptions, I think we ALL contribute to this Board, and that is why I remain--------after 10 years, you all seem like friends, if you know what I mean."

Yup, I feel that way too, we are indeed part of each others lives and there are people I have met on this board who have become friends in the "real world" and have provided me with help when I needed it. For this I am grateful. Over the years I have also enjoyed the intellectual give and take over this virtual fire pit. Some posts have made me laugh out loud and that is always welcome!

"I asked my wife of 31 years this morning if she had ever caught me in a lie--------her reply was "NO, and it sometimes drives me up the wall". Hmmmmm, don't quite know what to think about that reply. :lol:"

Well Barry my friend, when she asks you 'honey do I look fat in this?" she is not asking if she looks fat in this.....she is asking you to admire and appreciate her appearance. LIE!!

"self-deception is the worst form of lying and is cowerdice" says SkipJack------(or words to that effect). Hmmmm, I am not sure that tracks, but an interesting concept. I will have to think about that one------'cowerdice' is sure a trigger-word.

I agree with Skipjacks earlier statement that lying is congenital in human beings. There is plenty of science to back up that statement. This is where I started to throw sand in the box.

However "saying that self-deception is cowardice" in my view misses the mark. We all use mental mechanisms to protect our sense of self. The term Cowardice is a critical, judgmental term applied here to a normal human Mental Mechanism that we all use.

If we were not able to use a healthy denial we would be so engaged in dealing with our impending death, the worm at the core of our apple, and could not attend to the mundane functions of our daily lives. Denial is an unconscious defense mechanism that allows us to move on from something and focus on more immediate, important things in our lives. Our immanent death is too profound to contemplate so denial helps us to go about living. This is but one example. Do you think that women would go through the pain of a second child if a certain amount of self-deception was not in play?? "Oh this one will be easier" etc. There is of course an energetic cost to denial but some times the price is worth it. http://psychology.about.com/od/theoriesofpersonality/ss/defe...

I wonder if Skipjack is talking about a different form of self deception. Certainly denial in extreme can be very destructive as in a situation where one's spouse is killing them self with alcohol/drugs and you pretend that is not happening. Or when a family member molests you and you block that experience out of your awareness because you feel bad, guilty, ashamed, powerless etc. and then spend your life as a doormat. This is the downside of denial or self deception.

Iflyfishconmiamigos

Iflyfish - 9-16-2013 at 03:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

barry
Barry, Do you really think that giant too big to fail, banking conglomerates who manipulate the monetary and financial system and who are aided, protected, and backstopped by the federal government, really should be the "core" of our economy?

Well said Monoloco, that ain't loco at all. I thought that the core principals of the country were not to support Capitalism, an economic system.

Preamble to the Declaration of Independence:
"When in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation."

Preamble to the Constitution:
"We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America..

I don't read the term Capitalism anywhere in these document, do you?

The premise that Laissez-faire Capitalism is the solution to all social and domestic problems is simplistic and absurd, this is the fatal flaw of Libertarianism. There has NEVER been a Libertarian Nation in all of history, that is because it is an INTELLECTUAL ideal and not a practical way to deal with issues promoting the COMMON GOOD.

In Libertarianism we find a denial of the need for cooperative activity that promoted the health and welfare of ALL of the citizens. We need a common currency (my family once owned bank and printed their own) roads, bridges, fire departments, schools, a health care system, first responders, rules about driving, money to fix pot holes, rules and enforcement of rules related to commerce, money to protect the public health and environment.

The fatal flaw of Capitalism is that wealth accrues to a few and eventually, like Monopoly, someone ends up owning it all. This is what is happening in the US as we speak and it is fomenting social unrest....see Tea Party and We are the 99%. The Tea Party is better organized by it's political operatives, the 99% lack organization, the frustration is the same, the corruptness and inequity of the system where Corporate profits have soared and workers wages and working conditions have deteriorated with the demise of the Union movement.

When Free Boot Capitalism is left unfettered then rebellion ensues...see China prior to Mao. Eventually the people rise up to oppose the oppression and to fight for social and economic justice, it usually doesn't work and another set of crooks takes over and starts the next round of Monopoly.

The fatal flaw of Socialism is that with central planning all people are provided with enough to meet their needs, creativity and enterprise are sniffled as there is no reward for innovation....see Russia in the 1950's.

This is why MIXED economies exist, to stabilize these contradictory forces. The issue is how much of a mix works in a society.

Iflyfishwavingaflagofpeace

[Edited on 9-16-2013 by Iflyfish]

bajadogs - 9-16-2013 at 04:30 PM

Quote:
CO2 is not a pollutant, CO2 is a good thing

Take a look at what happens when the oceans absorb man-made CO2 -

http://apps.seattletimes.com/reports/sea-change/2013/sep/11/...

mtgoat666 - 9-16-2013 at 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadogs
Quote:
CO2 is not a pollutant, CO2 is a good thing

Take a look at what happens when the oceans absorb man-made CO2 -

http://apps.seattletimes.com/reports/sea-change/2013/sep/11/...

bajadogs: more liberal lies!

give me more CO2! can never get enough diet Coke and club soda!

David K - 9-16-2013 at 05:46 PM

So, I will ask again... will the larger ice pack (60% bigger this summer over last summer) improve fishing in Baja? I think one person replied with his opinion that it was too far away to affect Baja. I don't agree, because at least one Baja native animal (the gray whales) spend half the year near the Arctic.

Is a bigger Ice Pack a GOOD thing? Or, (as I suspect) is it more important to suppress good news and continue with the bad ****************************************???

[Edited on 9-18-2013 by BajaNomad]

Bajaboy - 9-16-2013 at 05:53 PM

Quote:

Is a bigger Ice Pack a GOOD thing? Or, (as I suspect) is it more important to suppress good news and continue with the bad *****************************************???

Yes, David, it's better to suppress the good news...blah, blah, blah....you have been doing it for some time now.

The economy is getting better:lol: although a bit slower than it could be. I wonder how a potential shut down of the government might affect the economy:?:

As for your original question, it has no effect on Baja. So why in the world did you bring it up....unless of course you were trying to make a political statement;D

[Edited on 9-17-2013 by Bajaboy]

David K - 9-16-2013 at 06:20 PM

Nice attempt at turning this political... let me return to the original question portion of your reply:

Why won't more ice be good for fish in Baja waters?

monoloco - 9-16-2013 at 07:05 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

barry

Well said Monoloco, that ain't loco at all. I thought that the core principals of the country were not to support Capitalism, an economic system.

Preamble to the Declaration of Independence:
"When in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation."

Preamble to the Constitution:
"We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America..

I don't read the term Capitalism anywhere in these document, do you?

The premise that Laissez-faire Capitalism is the solution to all social and domestic problems is simplistic and absurd, this is the fatal flaw of Libertarianism. There has NEVER been a Libertarian Nation in all of history, that is because it is an INTELLECTUAL ideal and not a practical way to deal with issues promoting the COMMON GOOD.

In Libertarianism we find a denial of the need for cooperative activity that promoted the health and welfare of ALL of the citizens. We need a common currency (my family once owned bank and printed their own) roads, bridges, fire departments, schools, a health care system, first responders, rules about driving, money to fix pot holes, rules and enforcement of rules related to commerce, money to protect the public health and environment.

The fatal flaw of Capitalism is that wealth accrues to a few and eventually, like Monopoly, someone ends up owning it all. This is what is happening in the US as we speak and it is fomenting social unrest....see Tea Party and We are the 99%. The Tea Party is better organized by it's political operatives, the 99% lack organization, the frustration is the same, the corruptness and inequity of the system where Corporate profits have soared and workers wages and working conditions have deteriorated with the demise of the Union movement.

When Free Boot Capitalism is left unfettered then rebellion ensues...see China prior to Mao. Eventually the people rise up to oppose the oppression and to fight for social and economic justice, it usually doesn't work and another set of crooks takes over and starts the next round of Monopoly.

The fatal flaw of Socialism is that with central planning all people are provided with enough to meet their needs, creativity and enterprise are sniffled as there is no reward for innovation....see Russia in the 1950's.

This is why MIXED economies exist, to stabilize these contradictory forces. The issue is how much of a mix works in a society.

Iflyfishwavingaflagofpeace

Pure capitalism may well indeed be the best form of government, but how would we know? As far as I can tell it's never been tried, at least in the last couple of hundred years, and maybe never. It's not a free market when governments pick winners and losers.

Barry A. - 9-17-2013 at 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666

More on "Climate Change" and "global warming".

http://washingtonexaminer.com/global-warming-report-could-ba...

Barry

bajadogs - 9-17-2013 at 11:22 AM

So the Wall Street Journal says man-made global warming is on the rise because of CO2 emissions, just not as fast as predicted 4 years ago.

Are they lying or are we causing climate change?

willardguy - 9-17-2013 at 11:25 AM

don't know but the Washington Examiner really could use a "win"!:lol:

Skipjack Joe - 9-17-2013 at 12:18 PM

Quote:

"self-deception is the worst form of lying and is cowerdice" says SkipJack------(or words to that effect). Hmmmm, I am not sure that tracks, but an interesting concept. I will have to think about that one------'cowerdice' is sure a trigger-word.

I agree with Skipjacks earlier statement that lying is congenital in human beings. There is plenty of science to back up that statement. This is where I started to throw sand in the box.

However "saying that self-deception is cowardice" in my view misses the mark. We all use mental mechanisms to protect our sense of self. The term Cowardice is a critical, judgmental term applied here to a normal human Mental Mechanism that we all use.

If we were not able to use a healthy denial we would be so engaged in dealing with our impending death, the worm at the core of our apple, and could not attend to the mundane functions of our daily lives. Denial is an unconscious defense mechanism that allows us to move on from something and focus on more immediate, important things in our lives. Our immanent death is too profound to contemplate so denial helps us to go about living. This is but one example. Do you think that women would go through the pain of a second child if a certain amount of self-deception was not in play?? "Oh this one will be easier" etc. There is of course an energetic cost to denial but some times the price is worth it. http://psychology.about.com/od/theoriesofpersonality/ss/defe...

I wonder if Skipjack is talking about a different form of self deception. Certainly denial in extreme can be very destructive as in a situation where one's spouse is killing them self with alcohol/drugs and you pretend that is not happening. Or when a family member molests you and you block that experience out of your awareness because you feel bad, guilty, ashamed, powerless etc. and then spend your life as a doormat. This is the downside of denial or self deception.

Iflyfishconmiamigos

A couple of things:

A. First I wish to say how much I admire Ken Bondy for not accepting a self delusional attitude about the hereafter to make it less difficult. He has indirectly implied that I'm a coward on this issue and I agree.

B. When I was thinking of self deception as the worst form of lying it has to do with conscience. If there is no remorse then go for it I guess. It seems to me that some of the most respected figures in history such as Julius Caesar, Napoleon, and Genghis Khan achieved their greatness through murder and deception. But the difference was that they were true to themselves in those acts. They felt comfortable doing these deeds because of their ultimate goals. Che Guevara falls into that group. Trotsky, etc.

In the novel "Crime and Punishment" the protagonist convinces himself that the ideal and superior being is capable of commiting crimes to suit his ends because there are different classes of people in this world. The strong can and should use the weak. After the crime has been commited he is endlessly tormented from within. Horrific nightmares appear every night. In the end he discovers that he wasn't the man he wanted to be and had deluded himself all along. That's my example of lying to one's self about who we are.

P.S. That's why I never comb my hair.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

baitcast - 9-17-2013 at 12:40 PM

:light::lol::lol:

[Edited on 9-17-2013 by baitcast]

Iflyfish - 9-17-2013 at 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:

Iflyfishconmiamigos

A couple of things:

A. First I wish to say how much I admire Ken Bondy for not accepting a self delusional attitude about the hereafter to make it less difficult. He has indirectly implied that I'm a coward on this issue and I agree.

B. When I was thinking of self deception as the worst form of lying it has to do with conscience. If there is no remorse then go for it I guess. It seems to me that some of the most respected figures in history such as Julius Caesar, Napoleon, and Genghis Khan achieved their greatness through murder and deception. But the difference was that they were true to themselves in those acts. They felt comfortable doing these deeds because of their ultimate goals. Che Guevara falls into that group. Trotsky, etc.

In the novel "Crime and Punishment" the protagonist convinces himself that the ideal and superior being is capable of commiting crimes to suit his ends because there are different classes of people in this world. The strong can and should use the weak. After the crime has been commited he is endlessly tormented from within. Horrific nightmares appear every night. In the end he discovers that he wasn't the man he wanted to be and had deluded himself all along. That's my example of lying to one's self about who we are.

P.S. That's why I never comb my hair.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Always a pleasure to kick it around with you!

I appreciate your tip of the hat to Bondy. Bondy and Sims present compelling cases for the magical thinking and mass delusion that is Religion. Since "belief" is so hard wired, once formed, and once formed one sees the "truth" of it all around, it's a very hard delusion to shake. Belief once formed trumps science and reason every time and this is why we see so much science denial at this time, science is actually trumping religion, and it's threat generates more and more delusional defenses.

I appreciate your bringing Dostoyevsky into the discussion, his work is a fascinating look at the issue of "Crime and Punishment"

I think that most of us "normal neurotics" lie and have a conscience and experience guilt. This is healthy and pro-social adaptation. There are however human beings born with out a conscience, feel no shame and to them other people are object to be manipulated and used, then thrown away. These people are called Sociopaths and Psychopaths. These people know how to look good and to acquire power. They are ruthless in their pursuit of power. Therefore they easily rise to the top of Corporations and Government over the bodies of the competition that they have adroitly destroyed.

Having studied Philosophy and Psychology I think that Psychology trumps in this case. All lies are not created equal. Telling my pudgy wife that she looks good in a tight dress is of an entirely different magnitude than Lyndon Johnson making up the Gulf of Tonkin Incident or George Bush/ and his Psychopathic sidekick Dick Chaney telling us about Iraq's Weapons of Mass Destruction. In the former my wife risks some askance glances from her female buddies in the latter scores of thousands of people were killed and millions displaced by their arrogance.

Iflyfish

motoged - 9-17-2013 at 03:46 PM

Damn !!!! I promised David K. several weeks ago that I would not react and attack him for his political views. :o

That was the truth....and I am not lying when I say how difficult it is to keep that "truth".

I am feeling good about my progress and commitment so far ...despite numerous urges to follow that historical pattern imprinted on my cortex :coolup:

David K - 9-17-2013 at 05:00 PM

*Can't we just discuss the ice pack getting bigger the very year some said it would be gone?
*Can't we be happy that nature is stronger than man, but that man can learn from his mistakes and do better?
*Can't we see that climate changes, and it is a NATURAL thing, and raising taxes does not change it one way or another.
*Can't we be adult enough to have different opinions and listen to each other without getting upset or nasty?
*Can't we just enjoy reading Baja Nomad to see and enjoy each other's contributions?

Thank you for participating in this thread... I really thought everyone would welcome the news of more ice instead of no ice this past August, compared to the year before. :wow: :rolleyes: :biggrin: :yes:

Iflyfish - 9-17-2013 at 05:33 PM

Quote:
*Can't we just discuss the ice pack getting bigger the very year some said it would be gone?
*Can't we be happy that nature is stronger than man, but that man can learn from his mistakes and do better?
*Can't we see that climate changes, and it is a NATURAL thing, and raising taxes does not change it one way or another.
*Can't we be adult enough to have different opinions and listen to each other without getting upset or nasty?
*Can't we just enjoy reading Baja Nomad to see and enjoy each other's contributions?

Thank you for participating in this thread... I really thought everyone would welcome the news of more ice instead of no ice this past August, compared to the year before. :wow: :rolleyes: :biggrin: :yes:

So, let me get this right. It's ok for you to make unsubstantiated statements like you did about Reagan and taxes and I am supposed to not refute them with facts? Just checking.

I wish I could share your enthusiasm about more ice pack this year. Can I be glad about that and still not see this particular individual finding as evidence that global warming is a hoax perpetrated on the public by Al Gore?

Is it ok If I believe, as a majority of scientists who study the phenomenon do, that we will see the affects of GLOBAL temperature rise by increasingly dramatic weather events i.e. more hurricanes, torential rains, tornadoes, warming ocean currents, rising sea levels? If it's ok for me to believe the overwhelming findings of climatologists then I assume you can see why i and others may not share your enthusiasm any more than we would be enthusiastic about a grossly obese person refusing an extra cookie.

Is it ok for you to post statements that are not true and then change the subject and not respond to the corrections? A simple 'Thank you" would be appreciated by this writer, who is helping you not to appear so ignorant by repeating untrue statements. Consider it a gift amigo.

Iflyfish

DavidT - 9-17-2013 at 06:33 PM

Quote:
So, let me get this right. It's ok for you to make unsubstantiated statements like you did about Reagan and taxes and I am supposed to not refute them with facts? Just checking.

I wish I could share your enthusiasm about more ice pack this year. Can I be glad about that and still not see this particular individual finding as evidence that global warming is a hoax perpetrated on the public by Al Gore?

Is it ok If I believe, as a majority of scientists who study the phenomenon do, that we will see the affects of GLOBAL temperature rise by increasingly dramatic weather events i.e. more hurricanes, torential rains, tornadoes, warming ocean currents, rising sea levels? If it's ok for me to believe the overwhelming findings of climatologists then I assume you can see why i and others may not share your enthusiasm any more than we would be enthusiastic about a grossly obese person refusing an extra cookie.

Is it ok for you to post statements that are not true and then change the subject and not respond to the corrections? A simple 'Thank you" would be appreciated by this writer, who is helping you not to appear so ignorant by repeating untrue statements. Consider it a gift amigo.

Iflyfish

Ditto

DianaT - 9-17-2013 at 06:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidT

Iflyfish

Ditto

:yes::yes: But I fear the well presented gift may be rejected.

bajadogs - 9-17-2013 at 08:12 PM

Quote:

Iflyfish

Ditto from me too. Well said Iflyfish!!! I will leave it at that.

monoloco - 9-17-2013 at 08:26 PM

Quote:

David, I agree with you that certain individuals and groups have used the global warming issue as a vehicle to enrich themselves, but do you really believe that the thousands of climate scientists, who after years of meticulous in depth research, have come to the conclusion that man's activities are negatively affecting the environment, are somehow part of some vast conspiracy to make Al Gore rich and destroy America?

vgabndo - 9-17-2013 at 08:31 PM

Points well made Rick. And it isn't so much about the man as the sad number of others like him you could have been describing. More people are killed by baseball bats than by guns, right David.
Take a breath, let it out slowly, I invite you to LOOK for a contradiction to your argument now and then and see if it has merit before you share. It can deliver a liberating feeling, breaking out of lock step. I bless your journey.

willardguy - 9-17-2013 at 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
Points well made Rick. And it isn't so much about the man as the sad number of others like him you could have been describing. More people are killed by baseball bats than by guns, right David.
Take a breath, let it out slowly, I invite you to LOOK for a contradiction to your argument now and then and see if it has merit before you share. It can deliver a liberating feeling, breaking out of lock step. I bless your journey.
busted out the baseball bat theory, oh thats low :lol:

tripledigitken - 9-17-2013 at 08:41 PM

David is playing you guys.

LancairDriver - 9-17-2013 at 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken

Skeet is the original rope-a-dope expert. Proves it time after time.

tripledigitken - 9-17-2013 at 09:32 PM

Of course he believes it, he's still playing you.

Skipjack Joe - 9-17-2013 at 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken

You're giving him to much credit. If he was playing he would do it better.

Anyway, that brings us back to deception and it's merits.

Pages:  1  2