BajaNomad

Desert Rat

Pages:  1  2

BajaRat - 5-25-2014 at 08:19 PM

Ya hooo, Good news Rat, Safe travels, can't wait to hear how the climb went. :cool:

BajaGringo - 5-25-2014 at 08:23 PM

Welcome back - glad to hear that all is well amigo. I splattered your pics around to all the hospitals and clinics here in the local area as well as with the police, so don't be surprised if next time passing through town somebody thinks you look familiar!

:lol:

Actually I should start letting them all know that you showed up, safe and sound...

encanto - 5-25-2014 at 08:24 PM

Ron called Graham a little while ago to say he was home safe in Texas. I emailed the ranger in the SPM to pass along the message in case he sees him. Not sure where he and Bacquito are tonight. Will try to let Meling folks know too lest they pop up there.

Ron felt extremely exhausted and when he gets himself and his thoughts collected, he will write about what he has been through. Thankfully he is home safe, and very appreciative.

EnsenadaDr - 5-25-2014 at 08:37 PM

ron I emailed an hour ago the emergency contact person and let the police know he was ok....no longer a missing person!!
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
Welcome back - glad to hear that all is well amigo. I splattered your pics around to all the hospitals and clinics here in the local area as well as with the police, so don't be surprised if next time passing through town somebody thinks you look familiar!

Actually I should start letting them all know that you showed up, safe and sound...

DENNIS - 5-25-2014 at 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551

But hey whose car is at Deno's? the mystery continues.

Maybe it's Gary Patton's. :o

micah202 - 5-25-2014 at 08:43 PM

..there's probably a lesson to be learnt from all this:yes:;):(

DENNIS - 5-25-2014 at 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by micah202

You mean like, when you're in your 70s, don't go wandering into the Baja Sierra alone? :light:

rts551 - 5-25-2014 at 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
ron I emailed an hour ago the emergency contact person and let the police know he was ok....no longer a missing person!!
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo

did you call off the license plate search?

David K - 5-25-2014 at 09:03 PM

Great news!

Graham - 5-25-2014 at 09:09 PM

What wonderful news... we're at the park entrance and asked the ranger to use the internet to check the latest. Let me tell you... Bacquito and I went through every black scenario you can imagine. I even checked some of the areas where the guard rails were down on the road up to the park in case the pickup had gone over.

We are ecstatic and drinking beers in celebration. Next time I see Ron I'm not going to let him out of my sight...

Party time. Welcome back Ron.

I think I'll stay here a couple of days and take a couple of Martir hikes in honor of our lost sheep... who has returned. I'll try not to get lost.

We are a MOTLEY crew here !!

captkw - 5-25-2014 at 09:14 PM

And Damn fine one at that !! Kudos on ALL .... and Desert Rat,,Glad, your back in the Saddle !!...DENO...Is that strange car still for SALE !!! LOL....K&T:tumble:

micah202 - 5-25-2014 at 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

You mean like, when you're in your 70s, don't go wandering into the Baja Sierra alone? :light:

....or if you do,,be sure not to tell -anyone-!!:P

...glad it's beer-o'clock in all quarters now--think I'll join y'all

[Edited on 5-26-2014 by micah202]

JZ - 5-25-2014 at 09:41 PM

Wow, incredible story. Just read it now from start to end.

I'm still confused why mcfez didn't report that the car was moved by Desert Rat (on the 24?) or was his car even there??

[Edited on 5-26-2014 by JZ]

mcfez - 5-25-2014 at 10:59 PM

First off...I am NOT there in San Felipe.

Secondly......this email came in about him and his car:

posted on 5-22-2014 at 10:24 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote Report Post to Administrator

What came in this a.m. to my mailbox:

7:02 AM (4 hours ago)

to Jeanette, me
Hello Jeanette & Deno, I am not sure If I have Deno´s e-mail address right, so Jeanette if you get this e-mail can you make sure to tell Deno about it.
A guy came by this morning looking for me, he Said that Deno´s Friend went Hiking the Cañon del Diablo and left his Car under this guy´s supervision, and He told him that if after ten days he doesn´t show up, he needed to come to look for me and I must tell Deno About it, so I really do not know what to do, yesterday was the ten days. Did he tell you something about this?
Let me know,

Abril

I did what was right...and according to the email....Desert Rat was missing.....and the car was in my driveway. Any disagreements on this action.....I would love to hear about it. I am not clear about a lot of what Desert Rat is saying about all this.....but it sure became a mess.

I am sure that Desert Rat will give you a full report. According to the email...the car was in the driveway on 5-22-2014. That is why I did not "mcfez didn't report that the car was moved by Desert Rat (on the 24?) or was his car even there??" He was "found" and I emailed the Campos manager that. The fact that he did move it and NOT tell me he was back....was the trigger here. The manager I am sure assumed that I knew he took the car....got it?

Furthermore.....Graham posted on 5-23-2014 at 06:54 PM that he found Desert Rat. posted on 5-24-2014 at 07:25 AM "He was really motivated to get a message out to McFez and Nomad that he was OK and get back to his vehicle"

Desert rat blundered this by NOT communicating especially after running into Graham up there. He knew there were issues and should had emailed directly.

Regardless....I'm just happy he is not inside of some coyote's stomach.

Quote:
Originally posted by JZ
Wow, incredible story. Just read it now from start to end.

I'm still confused why mcfez didn't report that the car was moved by Desert Rat (on the 24?) or was his car even there??

[Edited on 5-26-2014 by JZ]

[Edited on 5-26-2014 by mcfez]

rts551 - 5-26-2014 at 08:12 AM

Deno, sometimes when in a hurry we mis-read things.

read again. The email never says where the car was.

"A guy came by this morning looking for me, he Said that Deno´s Friend went Hiking the Cañon del Diablo and left his Car under this guy´s supervision, and He told him that if after ten days he doesn´t show up, he needed to come to look for me and I must tell Deno About it, so I really do not know what to do, yesterday was the ten days. Did he tell you something about this?"

Desert Rat - 5-26-2014 at 08:29 AM

Ok, let me see if I can clear things up. First of all, Mcfez simply allowed me to park my little Hyundai at his house at Campo Ocotillo. That was all I asked for and he graciously allowed me to park there. Since Mcfez would be in California at the time, he notified the camp owner (Abril) and security guard to be aware my possible arrival.
At that point, there was no need for any more communication with Mcfez. All I had to do was follow my plan.

Now, on Sunday the 11th, I drove toward San Felipe headed for Campo Ocotillo. HOWEVER, as I neared the intersection of highways 5 and 3, I noticed a restaurant called "Michoacan" on the right side of the highway. It was an ideal spot for me to park my car instead of Mcfez's place. It would save me a lot of time and effort because it was much closer to where I wanted to begin hiking.

I stopped and asked the owner (Senor Rueben) for permission to leave my car behind the restaurant for 10 days. He allowed me to park there. This is where I made a blunder (as Mcfez put it so well.)

I should have driven on to Campo Ocotillo to let Abril know that I would not be parking my car at Mcfez's house. I did not do that, therefore leaving Abril and Mcfez in the dark as to my whereabout. The reason that I decided not to contact Abril at the Campo was this. As I was talking with Senor Rueben, a mexican offered me a ride to the 163 mile marker if I was ready to go. I jumped at the chance for the ride.

Then I made another blunder. Senor Rueben asked me what he should do if I didn't show up ten days later. I had no clear answer. It could mean that I needed a day or two more for the hike or it could mean that I was in trouble in the mountains. I gave him my notebook with all my family and friends contact information. I then asked if he would in some way contact Abril and let her know that I was overdue and then she could relay the message to Mcfez.

I just wanted Abril and Mcfez to be aware that I might be in trouble and at least they could get out a message to Nomads and/or my family. ***Mcfez was completely unaware of all of this. I was hoping that if I needed help, that Mcfez would be able to begin to alert the right people. Again, I say that he was unaware of all this.

Well, sure enough, I missed the expected arrival day and Senor Rueben drove to Campo Ocotillo to inform Abril. From my understanding, Rueben talked to Abril or someone who knew her and left the message that I was overdue. He then drove his truck back to the restaurant.

After all was said and done, Mcfez did the right thing and I am very grateful. It had to be very confusing for him to sort things out in an attempt to help me. Mcfez did nothing wrong. I owe him and Abril an apology for not having driven to Campo Ocotillo to inform Abril of what I was doing. It would have prevented a lot of confusion for all of us.

Thank you Mcfez and Abril. I hope this cleared things up for my Nomad friends.

[Edited on 5-26-2014 by Desert Rat]

[Edited on 5-26-2014 by Desert Rat]

mannings - 5-26-2014 at 08:36 AM

Glad you're safe. That's all that really matters.

ehall - 5-26-2014 at 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mannings
Glad you're safe. That's all that really matters.

x2 let's hear about the climb

David K - 5-26-2014 at 10:24 AM

Ron, please invest in one of these before your next adventure: http://www.inreachdelorme.com/

It is a DeLorme In Reach device (better than a Spot device) and worked so well getting help to Pappy Jon in Arroyo Matomi recently. Myself or any others you choose will get your location and any message emailed to us while you are in the boonies.

micah202 - 5-26-2014 at 10:34 AM

.....some very important planning lessons in this....thanks -all- for the information here.....undoubtedly life(s) AND hassles will be saved in the future
....looking forward to hearing about the climb!

Quote:
Originally posted by Desert Rat
Ok, let me see if I can clear things up. First of all, Mcfez simply allowed me to park my little Hyundai at his house at Campo Ocotillo. That was all I asked for and he graciously allowed me to park there. Since Mcfez would be in California at the time, he notified the camp owner (Abril) and security guard to be aware my possible arrival.
At that point, there was no need for any more communication with Mcfez. All I had to do was follow my plan.

Now, on Sunday the 11th, I drove toward San Felipe headed for Campo Ocotillo. HOWEVER, as I neared the intersection of highways 5 and 3, I noticed a restaurant called "Michoacan" on the left side of the highway. It was an ideal spot for me to park my car instead of Mcfez's place. It would save me a lot of time and effort because it was much closer to where I wanted to begin hiking.

I stopped and asked the owner (Senor Rueben) for permission to leave my car behind the restaurant for 10 days. He allowed me to park there. This is where I made a blunder (as Mcfez put it so well.)

I should have driven on to Campo Ocotillo to let Abril know that I would not be parking my car at Mcfez's house. I did not do that, therefore leaving Abril and Mcfez in the dark as to my whereabout. The reason that I decided not to contact Abril at the Campo was this. As I was talking with Senor Rueben, a mexican offered me a ride to the 163 mile marker if I was ready to go. I jumped at the chance for the ride.

Then I made another blunder. Senor Rueben asked me what he should do if I didn't show up ten days later. I had no clear answer. It could mean that I needed a day or two more for the hike or it could mean that I was in trouble in the mountains. I gave him my notebook with all my family and friends contact information. I then asked if he would in some way contact Abril and let her know that I was overdue and then she could relay the message to Mcfez.

I just wanted Abril and Mcfez to be aware that I might be in trouble and at least they could get out a message to Nomads and/or my family. ***Mcfez was completely unaware of all of this. I was hoping that if I needed help, that Mcfez would be able to begin to alert the right people. Again, I say that he was unaware of all this.

Well, sure enough, I missed the expected arrival day and Senor Rueben drove to Campo Ocotillo to inform Abril. From my understanding, Rueben talked to Abril or someone who knew her and left the message that I was overdue. He then drove his truck back to the restaurant.

After all was said and done, Mcfez did the right thing and I am very grateful. It had to be very confusing for him to sort things out in an attempt to help me. Mcfez did nothing wrong. I owe him and Abril an apology for not having driven to Campo Ocotillo to inform Abril of what I was doing. It would have prevented a lot of confusion for all of us.

Than you Mcfez and Abril. I hope this cleared things up for my Nomad friends.
:yes:

mcfez - 5-26-2014 at 10:39 AM

Thank you Desert Rat!

Few here (as always) wanted to make this story go far more than it really was or to lay blame on someone before the facts are in. Few of you need to get a grip and stop being Dick Tracy without a clue.

Desert Rat...........next time you go wondering around......park in my place. In fact...use the house too.

mcfez - 5-26-2014 at 10:46 AM

Let suppose that is how YOU read it.......and there is no assumption that the car was in my driveway....................................he was still late. Now Abril and that third party are Mexican and as I know for a fact....language gets screwed up. The note does not say if the car was there or not...it said that the car was under somebody's supervision. Like I said....pending how you know the folks, the situation, the email exchange between Rat and Me.....the car was in the driveway.

Now...are you done here....or do you wish to keep play Dick Tracy without a clue?

Quote:
Deno, sometimes when in a hurry we mis-read things.

read again. The email never says where the car was.

"A guy came by this morning looking for me, he Said that Deno´s Friend went Hiking the Cañon del Diablo and left his Car under this guy´s supervision, and He told him that if after ten days he doesn´t show up, he needed to come to look for me and I must tell Deno About it, so I really do not know what to do, yesterday was the ten days. Did he tell you something about this?"

[Edited on 5-26-2014 by mcfez]

micah202 - 5-26-2014 at 10:50 AM

.....relax MrFez!....you really did the best you could!

...certainly if it were me,,I'd have appreciated that you rang the alarm.

...you did the right thing in soo many ways!!!:smug:

bacquito - 5-26-2014 at 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

But hey whose car is at Deno's? the mystery continues.

Maybe it's Gary Patton's. :o

:biggrin:

bacquito - 5-26-2014 at 03:56 PM

Quote:

Travel with someone, let people know of your plans and be equiped with maps, gps, compass, spot device and lotsa water

JZ - 5-26-2014 at 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez

Few here (as always) wanted to make this story go far more than it really was or to lay blame on someone before the facts are in. Few of you need to get a grip and stop being Dick Tracy without a clue.

Calm down bud. We were just trying to understand what was going on. It was confusing. Don't overreact.

Graham - 5-29-2014 at 09:12 AM

I just returned to San Diego from my trip to the San Pedro Martir and I'm still walking on air that all's well and Ron is safely back with his family.

Took a few hikes thinking about what Ron had endured alone in that rugged mountain wilderness. One was to the viewpoint of Mirador el Altar...

As I gazed at the desert far below and looked at the incredible canyons and cliffs leading to the Martir I was in awe...

Ten days solo in your seventies attempting Picacho and struggling for days across the trackless areas of the plateau... nothing can take that achievement away from you Desert Rat.

So looking forward to hearing the story.

I was so wrong to be so sure that something awful had happened to you after we met.

And I've never been so happy to be wrong in my life.

A few pics of the terrain... and those boots hanging on the road sign.

Barry A. - 5-29-2014 at 09:45 AM

I saw that approx. view from Botella Azul back when I was 16 and thought to myself, "NO WAY" would I ever try and climb Picacho from there--------I was absolutely blown away at what I saw. I climbed Mt. Whitney that same year, and it was a piece of cake compared to Picacho.

My hat is off to ANYBODY that conquered Picacho, but to take that hike that Ron did in his '70's is just incredible!!! (SuperHumanRon)

Barry

Pappy Jon - 6-1-2014 at 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Ron, please invest in one of these before your next adventure: http://www.inreachdelorme.com/

It is a DeLorme In Reach device (better than a Spot device) and worked so well getting help to Pappy Jon in Arroyo Matomi recently. Myself or any others you choose will get your location and any message emailed to us while you are in the boonies.

First, love my inReach. Period. I will never, ever, venture into Baja without it.

Second. I want to be like Ron when I grow up. You rock!

Pages:  1  2