BajaNomad

U.S. Dept of State announces it will issue 'Level 4: Do Not Travel' advisories for 80% of countries in the coming...

Pages:  1  2

JZ - 4-27-2021 at 09:46 PM

Just booked a biz trip to Tokyo and Australia for early September.

Feels great to get back to normal.

motoged - 4-27-2021 at 09:54 PM

Covid-19 in Japan:

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2021/04/9b392f82d290-coronavirus-outbreak-latest-april-26-2021.html

https://mainichi.jp/english/covid19

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/04/27/national/us-japan-travel/

[Edited on 4-28-2021 by motoged]

[Edited on 4-28-2021 by motoged]

pacificobob - 4-28-2021 at 06:59 AM

i think you should consider adding Mumbai on your itinerary. it will underscore your point about how everything is "back to normal" you know...get out there!

surabi - 4-28-2021 at 01:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Just booked a biz trip to Tokyo and Australia for early September.

Feels great to get back to normal.

Australia's borders are closed to international travel. Might be lifted by September, but no assurance of that. They really don't want to risk their population's health, even if you don't care about that.

Cases and deaths have been spiking in many places throughout the world and are the worst since the pandemic started.

The only place things are back to normal are in your head.

JZ - 4-28-2021 at 04:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

The vaccines are out. CDC and NYTs finally said what everyone with a brain already knew, it's extremely difficult to get Covid outside and there is no need to wear a mask outside.

Why are you still rooting for the pandemic? Oh, and hell yes things are getting back to normal. Warning, this might make your head explode.

https://youtu.be/SeuVZ9fdUNM

Tioloco - 4-28-2021 at 04:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

The vaccines are out. CDC and NYTs finally said what everyone with a brain already knew, it's extremely difficult to get Covid outside and there is no need to wear a mask outside.

Why are you still rooting for the pandemic? Oh, and hell yes things are getting back to normal. Warning, this might make your head explode.

https://youtu.be/SeuVZ9fdUNM

They are rooting for the pandemic because some people traffic in fear and misery. It provides a sense of power they otherwise never experience. Very sad.

Tioloco - 4-28-2021 at 04:31 PM

On a positive note, The San Luis Rio Colorado port of entry has resumed 24/7 traffic southbound. Previously during the pandemic it was closed from 10PM - 6AM

Things are looking up!

Lee - 4-28-2021 at 04:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  

They are rooting for the pandemic because some people traffic in fear and misery. It provides a sense of power they otherwise never experience. Very sad.

This comment is a crock of shlt. What a putz thing to write. You looking for a fight? Stay in Florida.

Tioloco - 4-28-2021 at 04:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

This comment is a crock of shlt. What a putz thing to write. You looking for a fight? Stay in Florida.

Strike a nerve? Maybe you could maintain civility and not use profanity on a public board? Thank you

thebajarunner - 4-28-2021 at 04:59 PM

NORRA is running the Mexican 1000 this week
Indy 500 will have fans
Our local Sonoma Raceway is selling tickets for NASCAR in June
I just bought tickets for the drags there in July

and Canada, oh Canada
just canceled F1
https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a36279340/f1-canad...

JZ - 4-28-2021 at 05:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
Indy 500 will have fans

and Canada, oh Canada
just canceled F1

Isn't it awesome!! America coming back to life!

My daughter worked the stands at Daytona about a month ago as a volunteer.

[Edited on 4-29-2021 by JZ]

willardguy - 4-28-2021 at 06:13 PM

Indy 500 will have fans

and Canada, oh Canada
just canceled F1

whoa....in our defense Buck we had no idea about your daughter...pleeeze carry on;)

willardguy - 4-28-2021 at 06:22 PM

Strike a nerve? Maybe you could maintain civility and not use profanity on a public board? Thank you

what are the chances of hearing from Tio Cuerdo??

pacificobob - 4-28-2021 at 06:28 PM

X2 lee. I'm bored with his dickish comments.

[Edited on 4-29-2021 by pacificobob]

mtgoat666 - 4-28-2021 at 06:28 PM

Indy 500 will have fans

and Canada, oh Canada
just canceled F1

California covid deaths: 3 per day (7 day avg)
Florida covid deaths: 61 per day.

JZ - 4-28-2021 at 06:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

California covid deaths: 3 per day (7 day avg)
Florida covid deaths: 61 per day.

California is 57. NY, Michigan at or above FL's level with 1/3 the freedom.

This thing is nearly over. You should be happy. Get out and live life!

surabi - 4-28-2021 at 07:33 PM

This thing is nearly over.

As I said, in your mind.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/covid-pandemic-accelerating-americ...

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/b-c-records-841-cases-223659839.ht...

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/indias-crushing-covid-caseload-res...

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/hundreds-travellers-landing-canada...

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/pacific-northwest-faces-shutdowns-...

motoged - 4-28-2021 at 07:34 PM

Delusional:

de·lu·sion·al
/dəˈlo͞oZH(ə)nəl/ adjective

Characterized by or holding idiosyncratic beliefs or impressions that are contradicted by reality or rational argument, typically as a symptom of mental disorder.

- based on or having faulty judgment; mistaken.
e.g. "their delusional belief in the project's merits never
wavers"

phmilo - 4-29-2021 at 06:39 AM

As a newish member I'll say the signal/noise ratio here is pretty bad. I'm part of several online communities and they all have their issues, but the tenor of this place makes me reluctant to jump in a lot.

I've had conversations and arguments, political and philosophical with a wide range of characters online ranging back to the days of usenet. This is hardly the worst, but it's well below the median.

I'm working on a couple of baja projects and would love to have some more experienced knowledge to pull from. There really isn't much good out there. I think the knowledge is here, it would be nice if you could get to it without a filter.

JZ - 4-29-2021 at 07:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by phmilo  
As a newish member I'll say the signal/noise ratio here is pretty bad. I'm part of several online communities and they all have their issues, but the tenor of this place makes me reluctant to jump in a lot.

I've had conversations and arguments, political and philosophical with a wide range of characters online ranging back to the days of usenet. This is hardly the worst, but it's well below the median.

I'm working on a couple of baja projects and would love to have some more experienced knowledge to pull from. There really isn't much good out there. I think the knowledge is here, it would be nice if you could get to it without a filter.

Start some Baja related threads. You'll get plenty of helpful info and a kind reception.

ch47pilot - 4-29-2021 at 07:05 AM

phmilo I totally agree, I wish we could enjoy Baja related issues without resorting to US and Canadian politics having nothing to do with Baja.

RFClark - 4-29-2021 at 08:36 AM

Hi All,

On the subject. We crossed SB Mexicali West last night and had to stop and renew our visas. If anyone in either government is doing anything to determine your reason for crossing the border it’s impossible to tell. It took 5 min to get new visas and we got a green light. The US had a bunch of agents watching SB crossers but I didn't see them stop anyone.

As “the map is not the territory”! The news hype is not the situation on the ground!

One interesting point the mass vaccination in Mexicali visible the last few weeks is still ongoing with a very long line of cars waiting their turn! Not much “news” about that!

The army checkpoint north of SF was open and doing minimal checks!

Road report:

Traffic light, new paving in progress but no delays. Gas $18.98/l to $19.98/ peso = 19/1 dollar.

More soon!

pacificobob - 4-29-2021 at 09:29 AM

thread ownership....."think about that."
speaks volumes

[Edited on 4-29-2021 by pacificobob]

pauldavidmena - 4-29-2021 at 05:50 PM

Start some Baja related threads. You'll get plenty of helpful info and a kind reception.

I agree that an honest Baja-related question will more often than not get several informative answers, particularly if the subject matter is narrow enough to discourage off-topic detours. Building materials, off-road trails and maps tend to get spared the partisan sidetracks that frankly discourage many from posting. Travel-related posts like this one quickly degenerate into sniping from well entrenched positions that may or may not have any basis in fact beyond the original post.

motoged - 4-29-2021 at 08:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ch47pilot  
phmilo I totally agree, I wish we could enjoy Baja related issues without resorting to US and Canadian politics having nothing to do with Baja.

The original post was about Covid global travel restrictions.... not just the Baja.

mtgoat666 - 4-29-2021 at 08:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

The original post was about Covid global travel restrictions.... not just the Baja.

Many countries handled covid w/o making it a political issue. From day 1 in USA, Trump and gop made covid a political wedge issue.
Thank god for saner people like fauci, cdc, nih, and drug company labs -they got the job done despite sabotage efforts from the right wingnuts.
Anywho, that’s why covid threads are contentious and snowflakes should stick to reading the pablum in the threads on mission history, border driving directions, drone video travelogues and and flan recipes.

Does anybody have a good flan recipe? How about a tapioca recipe for the snowflakes?

[Edited on 4-30-2021 by mtgoat666]

motoged - 4-29-2021 at 10:06 PM

A lesson in Spanish :light:

That's useful info for Baja aficionados :biggrin:

del mar - 4-29-2021 at 10:18 PM

are you picturing goat thumbing through his tiny tattered mexico translation book! :lol:

motoged - 4-30-2021 at 12:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
A lesson in Spanish :light:

That's useful info for Baja aficionados :biggrin:

Get serious. In spite of this site being about part of Mexico, my impression is that most folks here couldn't give a flying fugada moon about learning the native language of this land.

Their loss: My personal experience has been that language is the most determinant factor on how one experiences the local environment. Oh, well.

I was being serious... I learned a bit more Spanish.

I had to thumb through my tattered Google Translate.

[Edited on 4-30-2021 by motoged]

pacificobob - 4-30-2021 at 06:40 AM

i would be willing to wager the vast majority of baja enthusiasts here couldn't conjugate a Spanish verb with a gun to their head.

phmilo - 4-30-2021 at 08:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Many countries handled covid w/o making it a political issue. From day 1 in USA, Trump and gop made covid a political wedge issue.
Thank god for saner people like fauci, cdc, nih, and drug company labs -they got the job done despite sabotage efforts from the right wingnuts.
Anywho, that’s why covid threads are contentious and snowflakes should stick to reading the pablum in the threads on mission history, border driving directions, drone video travelogues and and flan recipes.

Does anybody have a good flan recipe? How about a tapioca recipe for the snowflakes?

[Edited on 4-30-2021 by mtgoat666]

https://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/0...

$0.35 for a used paperback copy. I'd be happy to send one your way if you provide an address.

pauldavidmena - 4-30-2021 at 08:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
i would be willing to wager the vast majority of baja enthusiasts here couldn't conjugate a Spanish verb with a gun to their head.

I agree that many visitors to Baja seek out English-friendly restaurants, shops, etc., but I find that very limiting. One of the most rewarding experiences when I visit Baja is to go off the beaten track (within reason) and stick to Spanish. For this reason we try to rent lodging with functional kitchens and cook most of our own meals, forcing us to shop for produce, meats, fish, etc. I have found that most locals are very patient and that they appreciate the effort, even if it's a combination of intermediate-level Spanish and pantomime.

motoged - 4-30-2021 at 09:40 AM

I am one of those.... building my vocabulary poco a poco. When engaging in a conversation beyond the simplest of matters, my line is "Si hablo un poco de español pero sin verbos...".

This usually elicits a smile of acknowledgement and their patience. And I am one of those who prefers to avoid gringo enclaves whenever possible... mainly because I get my fill of that at home.....and go to Baja to experience and enjoy its culture and people.

So much to learn from them.

Bajabus - 4-30-2021 at 10:08 AM

I am one of those.... building my vocabulary poco a poco. When engaging in a conversation beyond the simplest of matters, my line is "Si hablo un poco de español pero sin verbos...".

This usually elicits a smile of acknowledgement and their patience. And I am one of those who prefers to avoid gringo enclaves whenever possible... mainly because I get my fill of that at home.....and go to Baja to experience and enjoy its culture and people.

My Spanish is pretty good but I have made some very funny mistakes. While in a 2 year negotiation to buy a property from 9 sisters and brothers I mistakenly told them I didn't want to crap on their moms bed by confusing miedo with merda and cama with recama. The whole family went silent. I, like the typical Gringo kept blathering on. Later outside my wonderful wife informed me of my mistake. At out next meeting we all had a great laugh.

In Italy, in a restaurant I wanted some figs but I asked for fica. Without missing a beat the waiter said "we all would but this is not that kind of establishment" apparently fica is slang for vagina and fico would have been correct. My cousins were on the floor laughing.

Sometimes you just have to go for it and laugh.

Lee - 4-30-2021 at 10:17 AM

There is an app on my phone that I can ask (Siri) in English that will translate verbally and in writing to Spanish. I can play the Spanish translation to another person which has been helpful in being understood.

One or two verb tenses and correct pronunciation, IMO, is most important to not sounding like a 4th grader.

JZ - 4-30-2021 at 10:39 AM

There is an app on my phone that I can ask (Siri) in English that will translate verbally and in writing to Spanish. I can play the Spanish translation to another person which has been helpful in being understood.

One or two verb tenses and correct pronunciation, IMO, is most important to not sounding like a 4th grader.

Samsung with Google Assistant is much better than Apple with Siri.

willardguy - 4-30-2021 at 10:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajabus  

My Spanish is pretty good but I have made some very funny mistakes. While in a 2 year negotiation to buy a property from 9 sisters and brothers I mistakenly told them I didn't want to crap on their moms bed by confusing miedo with merda and cama with recama. The whole family went silent. I, like the typical Gringo kept blathering on. Later outside my wonderful wife informed me of my mistake. At out next meeting we all had a great laugh.

In Italy, in a restaurant I wanted some figs but I asked for fica. Without missing a beat the waiter said "we all would but this is not that kind of establishment" apparently fica is slang for vagina and fico would have been correct. My cousins were on the floor laughing.

Sometimes you just have to go for it and laugh.

:lol:....now those are great stories!

motoged - 4-30-2021 at 11:32 AM

Two years ago I was looking for a plastic elbow joint for a water line issue in Bahia Asuncion. I went to the local hardware store and stumbled my way through my request, using a favourite phrase, "Cómo se dice" while pointing to my elbow.
The rogue's gallery sitting around had a good chuckle....

"Codo" is Spanish for "elbow" .... and a colloquial term for a "cheapskate"..... :biggrin:

John Harper - 4-30-2021 at 12:10 PM

Yet you could not wait to join the pigs in the mud:

$0.35 for a used paperback copy. I'd be happy to send one your way if you provide an address.

Hypocrisy, how ironic. You're a perfect fit for BN.

John

[Edited on 4-30-2021 by John Harper]

willardguy - 4-30-2021 at 01:40 PM

Two years ago I was looking for a plastic elbow joint for a water line issue in Bahia Asuncion. I went to the local hardware store and stumbled my way through my request, using a favourite phrase, "Cómo se dice" while pointing to my elbow.

"Codo" is Spanish for "elbow" .... and a colloquial term for a "cheapskate"..... :biggrin:

we all remember DavidE......aka "El Codo" so fitting:yes:

phmilo - 5-1-2021 at 09:37 AM

Quote:

Yet you could not wait to join the pigs in the mud:

Hypocrisy, how ironic. You're a perfect fit for BN.

John

I was called a snowflake, so I threw a snowball. Sorry if my snark was dialed up too much.

David K - 5-1-2021 at 10:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

we all remember DavidE......aka "El Codo" so fitting:yes:

We met DavidE/ Dah-veed in 2000. Wild Bill brought him to our San Clemente dinner gathering in February, after the pier meeting. Then in October he came to my first Viva Baja party:

David Eidell (making sure the facts are correct!)

It has been 20 years since we first traveled with Dah-veed (David E), July 2001:

El Jefe (Tom), Paulina, & David Eidell

Some of the flora tries to hitch a ride! Stay away from the cholla...also known as 'jumping cactus'.

Neal Johns uses his years of desert expertise to render aid to David Eidell, the victim.

Desert Rat, Travelpearl, Sarah, and David Eidell pose with Coco at Coco's Corner.

In 2002 at Viva Baja #2:

El Jefe (Tom) enjoys a chat with David Eidell!

His last address we had heard was at Bahía Asunción... renting from Shari, I think?

willardguy - 5-1-2021 at 10:47 AM

Debra said it best.....we'll leave it at that ;)

Lee - 5-1-2021 at 10:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
Debra said it best.....we'll leave it at that ;)

Who is Debra and what was said? How about a clue?

motoged - 5-1-2021 at 11:33 AM

Yeah....curious minds here....:?:

willardguy - 5-1-2021 at 11:49 AM

Yeah....curious minds here....:?:

one of the posts that mysteriously disappeared...Debra's (DEP) harshly critical warning about someone she described as a lying cheating thieving POS in our midst.....some find him the cats meow though!

[Edited on 5-1-2021 by willardguy]

motoged - 5-1-2021 at 12:07 PM

The mystery deepens.....:wow:

David K - 5-1-2021 at 12:48 PM

Debra was 'travelpearl', one of the members of the Viva Baja Van trip with David Eidell, El Camote, Desert Rat, Miguelito Humfreville, my kids and I.

motoged - 5-1-2021 at 12:52 PM

Gee, I've never met or heard about this David E.

What's the backstory here?

David K - 5-1-2021 at 02:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Debra was 'travelpearl',

Was that her handle here? I don't find any posts under that name... :?:

It was 'Debra' (formerly known as travelpearl)...

This looks to be her final post (reply) in a thread about La Turquesa Canyon:
Quote: Originally posted by Debra  
Hey David would it be okay if an old lady with a really old 4Runner tagged along?

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=30726

[Edited on 5-1-2021 by David K]

willardguy - 5-1-2021 at 02:14 PM

gotta peso went to "el codo" for his stories :lol:

he claims the entire tecate police department were all so terrified of him he actually once made a street cop pee his pants!

[Edited on 5-1-2021 by willardguy]

[Edited on 5-2-2021 by willardguy]

motoged - 5-1-2021 at 06:07 PM

longtime character

Thanks....People's Guide To Mexico is good bathroom reading....kinda like Whole Earth Catalogue.:coolup:

del mar - 5-1-2021 at 07:01 PM

People's Guide To Mexico is good bathroom reading....kinda like Whole Earth Catalogue.:coolup:

I learned a lot from it when I first started interacting with Mexico. At this point I don't consider it nearly as relevant; there's been a huge amount of change in the last 35 years and I think much of it is detrimental to the Gringo Hippy lifestyle that Guide kinda focuses towards.

Example is hotels. When I started cruising around the Mainland back in the 70's, it was easy to find super cheap hotels or casas de huéspedes which catered to poor folks travelling or coming into town for market day. There are few left and I don't know where those folks stay these days, but real budget travelling is tougher than back before the turn of the century.

I hear Motel 6's up there aren't 6 bucks anymore too?

Pages:  1  2