BajaNomad

Covid Surge

Pages:  1  2    4

mtgoat666 - 1-6-2023 at 02:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
That chart conveniently ignores the time period of the Rhino virus.

hey Shorty McGoober:
i dont think the common cold has high enough mortality rate to warrant comparison to mortality from flu and covid. and in any case, the point was to compare flu vs covid deaths.

BajaMama - 1-9-2023 at 10:18 AM

I'm pretty sure covid is not "over." The fact is, it is now endemic and will continue to evolve just as colds and the flu continue to do. It is unfortunate that the death rate still exceeds that of the flu but with any luck it will evolve to become less deadly for the vulnerable population.

If you have been getting misinformation regarding the death rate please feel free to compare flu deaths and covid on the CDC site.

JZ - 1-9-2023 at 11:00 AM

If you think you are at risk from Covid, take Paxlovid as soon as possible (within 5 days of symptons). 90% chance of keeping you from getting seriously ill.

If you have the flu, take Tamiflu as soon as possible (within 2 days of symptoms), even if you are healthy. It will reduced the illness significantly. I haven't had the flu for about 15 years, but would definitely take it.

I had a guy who works for me get the Rhinovirus. He was sick for about 3-4 weeks.

[Edited on 1-9-2023 by JZ]

JZ - 1-9-2023 at 11:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
I'm pretty sure covid is not "over." The fact is, it is now endemic and will continue to evolve just as colds and the flu continue to do. It is unfortunate that the death rate still exceeds that of the flu but with any luck it will evolve to become less deadly for the vulnerable population.

If you have been getting misinformation regarding the death rate please feel free to compare flu deaths and covid on the CDC site.

See above. Covid deaths haven't been measured properly. The number is much lower. Hospitals had a lot of financial incentives to report the way they do.

At the risk of getting back on topic...

pauldavidmena - 1-11-2023 at 07:06 AM

My question is purely a practical one: When I travel from Boston (via Dallas) to Cabo in 3 weeks, should I expect to mask up in the airports and on the planes? And how about once I'm on the ground in Baja? Are restaurants and shops requiring masks, or just recommending them? How compliant are the customers, and how insistent are the proprietors?

As a guest, my intention is to accommodate the requests of my hosts. I don't take off my shoes in my own home, but if we visit someone who requests that we remove our footwear, I do so without grumbling. Why is this so hard?

mtgoat666 - 1-11-2023 at 07:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
My question is purely a practical one: When I travel from Boston (via Dallas) to Cabo in 3 weeks, should I expect to mask up in the airports and on the planes? And how about once I'm on the ground in Baja? Are restaurants and shops requiring masks, or just recommending them? How compliant are the customers, and how insistent are the proprietors?

As a guest, my intention is to accommodate the requests of my hosts. I don't take off my shoes in my own home, but if we visit someone who requests that we remove our footwear, I do so without grumbling. Why is this so hard?

I travel with a supply of masks.
I wear mask on airplanes, in winter half the pax are sick, you would be foolish to ride a cattle car w/o a mask on.

Our house, we remove shoes. Why would you wear shoes in your house? Sounds dirty, messy.

JZ - 1-11-2023 at 08:43 AM

In the US no requirement to wear a mask at the airport or on the plane. Some do by choice. Maybe 15 -20%.

Pretty much the same in MX.

Ley was the only place in Loreto that I saw requiring a mask.

[Edited on 1-12-2023 by JZ]

pauldavidmena - 1-11-2023 at 08:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

I wear mask on airplanes, in winter half the pax are sick, you would be foolish to ride a cattle car w/o a mask on.

Our house, we remove shoes. Why would you wear shoes in your house? Sounds dirty, messy.

We've stocked up on masks and will wear them in airports and on the plane. After that, we'll try to get a sense for what protocols - formal or informal - are in place in Todos Santos and El Pescadero.

I wear my sneakers during the winter for warmth (we live in Massachusetts) and arch support (I have fallen arches). My wife either wears slippers or goes about in her socks - or barefoot during the summer. Beyond that, we have no wall-to-wall carpeting, and keep a tidy house. Maybe it's a Northeast thing?

surabi - 1-11-2023 at 09:44 AM

this so hard?

I wear my sneakers during the winter for warmth (we live in Massachusetts) and arch support (I have fallen arches). My wife either wears slippers or goes about in her socks - or barefoot during the summer. Beyond that, we have no wall-to-wall carpeting, and keep a tidy house. Maybe it's a Northeast thing?

Not a Northeast thing unless Canadians who live in the Northeast are quite different from Americans. My experience is that Canadians always take off their street shoes at the door. If it's cold, they use slippers or thick socks, as your wife does. Personally I don't want to walk around in my home in shoes I've worn out in public places, walking through spit and who knows what else.

As for wearing masks, I couldn't care less if they are required- I wear a mask in public places where there are other people nearby to protect myself. What others do is up to them, although their choice not to wear a mask means they don't care about others and I am less protected.

Lee - 1-11-2023 at 10:02 AM

If you think you are at risk from Covid, take Paxlovid as soon as possible (within 5 days of symptons). 90% chance of keeping you from getting seriously ill.

If you have the flu, take Tamiflu as soon as possible (within 2 days of symptoms), even if you are healthy. It will reduced the illness significantly. I haven't had the flu for about 15 years, but would definitely take it.

Something immoral about JZ practicing medicine. He's prescribing medication for covid and the flu.

Best to ignore this troll. 2 years claiming it's all a gov't conspiracy.

Practicing medicine without a license. Isn't that a felony?

JZ - 1-11-2023 at 10:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Something immoral about JZ practicing medicine. He's prescribing medication for covid and the flu.

Best to ignore this troll. 2 years claiming it's all a gov't conspiracy.

Practicing medicine without a license. Isn't that a felony?

You need a prescription for Paxlovid. A quick search will tell you it's the leading antiviral for Covid. It's what Biden took.

Tamiflu has been around for a long time.

Ask your doctor.

Tacayo - 1-11-2023 at 11:58 AM

Anybody know if Paxlovid is available in Baja?

JZ - 1-11-2023 at 12:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tacayo  
Anybody know if Paxlovid is available in Baja?

https://www.vallartadaily.com/mexico-purchases-pfizers-oral-...

Meanwhile, in Cabo...

pauldavidmena - 1-11-2023 at 01:09 PM

This article states "Los Cabos has officially ended restrictions brought on during the pandemic, which meant bars and nightclubs were forced to close for business at midnight."

RFClark - 1-11-2023 at 01:17 PM

Lee,

Quoting an article on treatments for the flu and COVID is not practicing medicine!

Your comment however is practicing politics and Doug said that was a no-no here!

surabi - 1-11-2023 at 01:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
Lee,

Quoting an article on treatments for the flu and COVID is not practicing medicine!

He didn't quote any article when handing out his medical advice.

willardguy - 1-11-2023 at 02:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Lee,

his only advice was who not believe here...but we all already knew that:yes:

JZ - 1-11-2023 at 02:12 PM

Lee,

I help you and you still find something to cry about.

RFClark - 1-11-2023 at 07:22 PM

S,

JZ’s “advice” was copied directly from a news story I read!

But then there is this on the COVID Booster Scam!

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2215780?query=fea...

mtgoat666 - 1-12-2023 at 08:35 AM

S,

But then there is this on the COVID Booster Scam!

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2215780?query=fea...

Clarkie,
You forgot to post your buddy newkid’s articles of vaccine causing untold deaths and injuries, including damar Hamlin’s cardiac arrest. You anti-vaxxers believe the whackiest things!

surabi - 1-12-2023 at 10:53 AM

S,

And your point is? If someone directly copies something, they should post the link to what they are quoting, or at least give credit to the person of publication whose words they copied. Instead of presenting it as their own words.

That someone else may have seen a news article from which it was directly copied is irrelevant. Plus you claimed that JZ had linked to what he was quoting, when he did no such thing.

JZ - 1-14-2023 at 03:12 PM

Washington Post: We are overcounting covid deaths and hospitalizations. That’s a problem.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/01/13/covid-pan...

Says hospitalizations and Deaths due to Covid likely overstated by 70 to 90%.

willardguy - 1-14-2023 at 03:49 PM

these 60K dead didn't get your memo "covid is over":rolleyes:

https://us.yahoo.com/news/china-reports-almost-60-000-104515...

surabi - 1-14-2023 at 03:57 PM

Poor reading comprehension, JZ. Nowhere does it say that in the article.

[Edited on 1-16-2023 by surabi]

RFClark - 1-14-2023 at 07:27 PM

S,

Yes, but it does say that in this WAPO opinion piece and look who’s opinion it is!

Again not Fox News!

phmilo - 1-15-2023 at 12:18 PM

We've stocked up on masks and will wear them in airports and on the plane. After that, we'll try to get a sense for what protocols - formal or informal - are in place in Todos Santos and El Pescadero.

As to the situation - In Cabo a few places are enforcing masks: Home depot, Costco and selected other stores, not sure about restaurants/bars.

Smaller towns are way more loose. A few places in Todos have signs, but I see less than 10% masks on gringos and probably 25% on locals (although a lot in some restaurants on servers/kitchen staff).

La Paz seemed to have a lot fewer masks, even in the bigger stores. We just have them on hand and wear them if it's appropriate.

I haven't worn long pants or real shoes in almost a month.

Marty Mateo - 1-16-2023 at 10:01 PM

“I haven't worn long pants or real shoes in almost a month.”

Now that’s living 😎👍🇲🇽

JZ - 1-16-2023 at 10:26 PM

S,

Yes, but it does say that in this WAPO opinion piece and look who’s opinion it is!

Again not Fox News!

That's the same article I posted. She is just lying and hoping people won't read the article.

surabi - 1-17-2023 at 08:59 AM

S,

Again not Fox News!

That's the same article I posted. She is just lying and hoping people won't read the article.

Oh, really? Quote the part of the article where it says 70-90% of Covid cases were overcounted.

RFClark - 1-17-2023 at 07:00 PM

S,

Here you go!

She also states that at Tufts where she is the epidemiologist some days only 10% of those admitted testing positive for COVID were admitted because of COVID!

“ During some days, she said, the proportion of those hospitalized because of covid were as low as 10 percent of the total number reported.”

“ To be clear, if the covid death count turns out to be 30 percent of what’s currently reported, that’s still unacceptably high. But that knowledge could help people better gauge the risks of traveling, indoor dining and activities they have yet to resume.
Most importantly, knowing who exactly is dying from covid can help us identify who is truly vulnerable. These are the patients we need to protect through better vaccines and treatments.”

[Edited on 1-18-2023 by RFClark]

surabi - 1-17-2023 at 07:53 PM

Here I go? Just like I said, nowhere does that article say that 70-90% of reported Covid hospitalizations and deaths were incorrectly reported.

"Some days...."
"IF the covid death counts turns out to be...."

Astounding how you and JZ read something and twist it around to prove what you want it to prove, when it neither says nor proves any such thing.

To quote Scientific American, “The volume of gray matter, or neural cell bodies, making up the anterior cingulate cortex, an area that helps detect errors and resolve conflicts, tends to be larger in liberals"

[Edited on 1-18-2023 by surabi]

RFClark - 1-17-2023 at 08:23 PM

Addiction is about yourself first!

RFClark - 1-17-2023 at 08:25 PM

S,

GIGO! Where it comes out is larger too!

surabi - 1-23-2023 at 10:11 PM

Washington Post: We are overcounting covid deaths and hospitalizations. That’s a problem.

Excellent video debunking thishttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9cqon5v9oc&t=846s BS.

RFClark - 1-23-2023 at 10:25 PM

S,

I saw it on youtube, it must be true!

GIGO!

RFClark - 1-23-2023 at 10:35 PM

Goat,

Can you even define the word “Women”?

surabi - 1-24-2023 at 09:19 AM

S,

GIGO!

Of course everything on youtube isn't true. What an idiotic response. Did you bother to watch it? Did you understand the credentials of the doctors who spoke to this? Or did you just reject the information because it doesn't align with your uneducated opinion?

[Edited on 1-24-2023 by surabi]

willardguy - 1-24-2023 at 09:50 AM

S,

GIGO!

Of course everything on youtube isn't true. What an idiotic response. Did you bother to watch it? Did you understand the credentials of the doctors who spoke to this? Or did you just reject the information because it doesn't align with your uneducated opinion?

[Edited on 1-24-2023 by surabi]

:lol: idiotic responses? that's what you get when you debate Potsie and Ralph Malph

JZ - 1-24-2023 at 09:55 AM

Remember all the doctors who said:

1. Covid came from a bat and there was no chance it came from a lab
2. If you got the vaccine you wouldn't get Covid and couldn't transmit it to anyone else
3. Masks don't work
4. Don't go outside and exercise. Stay in your house.
5. It's not safe to send kids to school.

Give me a break with these so called experts. Fast forward a couple years and they will all be telling us how Covid hospitalizations/deaths were over counted. Some have already started saying it (e.g. the Dr. from Washington Post/CNN).

[Edited on 1-25-2023 by JZ]

JZ - 1-24-2023 at 11:12 AM

In 2020 a hospital administrator told me that Covid was being over counted because hospitals had financial incentives to do so.

On the other hand...

pauldavidmena - 1-24-2023 at 12:48 PM

...it's also possible that the number of Covid deaths has been undercounted. Here's a thread from over 2 1/2 years ago: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=94583&pag...

surabi - 1-24-2023 at 12:59 PM

In 2020 a hospital administrator told me that Covid was being over counted because hospitals had financial incentives to do so.

"A hospital administrator told me..."

Your little personal anecdotes are entirely irrelevant.

RFClark - 1-24-2023 at 01:07 PM

Paul,

There is definitely an RVS and Flu surge this Winter. There was practically no cases these last 2 years so that’s to be expected. COVID has been treated unlike anything in the last 50 years except the HIV epidemic. Both epidemics have the same major non-medical component which Doug says we can't discuss here.

It’s impossible to discuss a “surge” without delving into it’s why’s. If we were discussing the ADHD “surge we would have exactly the same problem for exactly the same reason.

RFClark - 1-24-2023 at 01:12 PM

S,

Do you have a background in Hospital and Physician billing under the RVS system? I do but you won’t take my word either! What’s your BG on the subject?

pauldavidmena - 1-24-2023 at 01:56 PM

Paul,

There is definitely an RVS and Flu surge this Winter. There was practically no cases these last 2 years so that’s to be expected. COVID has been treated unlike anything in the last 50 years except the HIV epidemic. Both epidemics have the same major non-medical component which Doug says we can't discuss here.

It’s impossible to discuss a “surge” without delving into it’s why’s. If we were discussing the ADHD “surge we would have exactly the same problem for exactly the same reason.

I agree that there are non-medical factors driving both the overcounting and undercounting of COVID deaths. The "percentage of deaths above normal average" technique used to estimate Hurricane Maria fatalities in Puerto Rico may not work for COVID given the duration of the pandemic, the changes in mortality of the disease, and the rise in other causes of death during the same timeframe.

mtgoat666 - 7-22-2023 at 06:34 PM

Ready for another 'tripledemic'? CDC prepares for a winter of '3 bugs out there'
https://www.yahoo.com/news/ready-another-tripledemic-cdc-pre...

Got masks?

Goat I have a mask they have lots more. You’ll look great in one.

RFClark - 7-22-2023 at 06:53 PM

IMG_4378.jpeg - 48kB

AKgringo - 7-22-2023 at 07:18 PM

I shouldn't have read that article...now I feel a cough coming on!

LancairDriver - 7-22-2023 at 07:36 PM

"A hospital administrator told me..."
;D
Your little personal anecdotes are entirely irrelevant.

More relevant than following Dr Fauci’s changing story’s.

JDCanuck - 7-23-2023 at 09:01 AM

BCS stopped reporting the Covid cases at the government site way back mid May when they also dropped the mask mandates, but had fallen off by then to this very small incidence rate:
https://coronavirus.bcs.gob.mx/english/

Globally we have this still being reported:
https://ourworldindata.org/mortality-risk-covid

pauldavidmena - 7-23-2023 at 09:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
BCS stopped reporting the Covid cases at the government site way back mid May when they also dropped the mask mandates, but had fallen off by then to this very small incidence rate:
https://coronavirus.bcs.gob.mx/english/

Globally we have this still being reported:
https://ourworldindata.org/mortality-risk-covid

My wife and I visited Todos Santos in February 2022 and February 2023 and the difference was profound. In 2022, masks were required in an all restaurants and shops, and the U.S. required a negative Covid test within 24 hours of departure from Mexico. In 2023, no masks, no test requirements or other restrictions. It reminded us of our visit in February 2020, minus 3 years of unchecked development.

David K - 7-23-2023 at 09:44 AM

It's over.
Time to move on with life.
The Covid plague took tw0+ years from our lives (and for some took their lives).
We know where it started and who was responsible.
The punishment should be severe.

The media cover-up and attempt to silence opposition opinions (who were mostly right) was shameful.

Have we learned anything?

mtgoat666 - 7-23-2023 at 10:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
It's over.
Time to move on with life.
The Covid plague took tw0+ years from our lives (and for some took their lives).
We know where it started and who was responsible.
The punishment should be severe.

The media cover-up and attempt to silence opposition opinions (who were mostly right) was shameful.

Have we learned anything?

You oldsters and unhealthy are silly to dismiss covid, and should be afraid of covid, the mortality rate is still higher than flu and cold, and impacts the elderly most of all.

Are you going to punish Mother Nature for being responsible? How do you propose to punish nature?

SFandH - 7-23-2023 at 12:05 PM

Are you going to punish Mother Nature for being responsible? How do you propose to punish nature?

Was Mother Nature responsible, or the microbiology lab in Wuhan? Is there any proof one way or the other? I haven't seen any.

Don Pisto - 7-23-2023 at 12:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

Was Mother Nature responsible, or the microbiology lab in Wuhan? Is there any proof one way or the other? I haven't seen any.

or was it a thumb size bat from a chinese cave? only a nomad would really know for sure....;)

JZ - 7-23-2023 at 01:13 PM

So, I'm supposed to take your word for it? Do you have any evidence, like a link to an authoritative source?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/chris-wray-covid-origin-likely-...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-origin-china-lab-leak-807...

elgatoloco - 7-23-2023 at 01:51 PM

Every cloud has a silver lining...............

https://www.google.com/search?q=covid+deaths+by+political+pa...

:saint:

SFandH - 7-23-2023 at 02:23 PM

So, I'm supposed to take your word for it? Do you have any evidence, like a link to an authoritative source?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/chris-wray-covid-origin-likely-...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-origin-china-lab-leak-807...

Thanks.

So, according to the DOE and FBI, maybe, probably, it's likely, the virus originated in the lab, and China is blocking investigators. Mad scientists doing dangerous things. Perhaps.

---------------------------------

"That possibility certainly exists, and I am totally in favour of a full investigation of whether that could have happened," Anthony Fauci, President Biden's chief medical adviser, told a US Senate committee hearing in May 2021.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-57268111

[Edited on 7-23-2023 by SFandH]

JZ - 7-23-2023 at 07:12 PM

Every scientist with a functioning brain knows where Covid came from. This is an example of how following the cult w/o using your own brain gets people lost.

The ridiculous bat theory was too much for even Jon Stewart. Hopefully this clip and topic makes you step back and do your own thinking.

[Edited on 7-24-2023 by JZ]

JZ - 7-23-2023 at 07:21 PM

If believing the bat theory wasn't bad enough. The government, working with Big Tech to censor dialog on the subject was even worse. They used their playbook of labeling it misinformation.

Guess what, the got damn govt. is not the ministry of truth. This case proves exactly how dangerous it is to treat them as one.

surabi - 7-23-2023 at 07:22 PM

Don't confuse the "thinking" of laymen with scientific research into the source of a virus, JZ.

Sure, it seems logical to most people, including me, that it came from a lab where they work with viruses. But just because that seems logical and likely to me, doesn't mean I am right.

Unverified theories are not fact, no matter how many people believe it.

Lee - 7-23-2023 at 07:22 PM

Every scientist with a functioning brain knows where Covid came from. This is an example of how following the cult w/o using your own brain gets people lost.

The ridiculous bat theory was too much for even Jon Stewart. Hopefully clip and topic makes you step back and do your own thinking.

JZ has to be the only nomad troll who gives a flock about where covid started.

Anything to feed a conspiracy. What a shame.

Don Pisto - 7-23-2023 at 07:26 PM

The ridiculous bat theory was too much for even Jon Stewart. Hopefully clip and topic makes you step back and do your own thinking.

:lol:so the CBS story you submitted as proof is just more lies?:?:

SFandH - 7-23-2023 at 07:38 PM

These folks already have their minds made up from square one about pretty much everything, dismiss whatever information contradicts it, and latch onto whatever supports it.

It's exactly the same mentality of die hard Trump supporters. There is literally nothing he could do that would change their minds.

Consider the possibility that it's a genetic defect due to exposure to gunpowder fumes at the firing range.

I read that on the Internet, and Jon Stewert said so.

[Edited on 7-24-2023 by SFandH]

Don Pisto - 7-23-2023 at 07:50 PM

:lol: oh chit,well if jon stewart said it it must be true.

SFandH - 7-23-2023 at 07:57 PM

Nobody knows for sure except, maybe, the Wuhan lab scientists. One interesting item I read, FWIW, is that biologists have been looking for bats infected with the virus, and they haven't found any.......yet.

JZ - 7-23-2023 at 08:04 PM

Nobody knows for sure except, maybe, the Wuhan lab scientists. One interesting item I read, FWIW, is that biologists have been looking for bats infected with the virus, and they haven't found any.......yet.

Did you bother to watch the Jon Stewart video?

Don Pisto - 7-23-2023 at 08:07 PM

"The Science"

https://twitter.com/ryangerritsen/status/1682815042545172482...

Encourage everyone to watch this very insightful video. It is eye opening.

again...you encouraged everyone to read your CBS story to support your claim that now you call lies? you know you can't have it both ways, even in your odd world. yes?

SFandH - 7-23-2023 at 08:17 PM

Did you bother to watch the Jon Stewart video?

Yes, his opinion, nothing more. Do you find that convincing?

JZ - 7-23-2023 at 08:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
"The Science"

https://twitter.com/ryangerritsen/status/1682815042545172482...

Encourage everyone to watch this very insightful video. It is eye opening.

again...you encouraged everyone to read your CBS story to support your claim that now you call lies? you know you can't have it both ways, even in your odd world. yes?

The only reason I linked that story was because they referenced the govt. agency and weren't a right wing pub. I'm in Europe and have had about 6 hours sleep in 3 days, so sorry I missed that nonsense about some scientists clinging to the ridiculous "bat from a wet market theory." My apologies.

surabi - 7-23-2023 at 08:43 PM

"have had about 6 hours sleep in 3 days, "

What's your excuse for the rest of the nonsense you post?

Ken Cooke - 8-20-2023 at 01:13 PM

Although Im in Riverside and not Baja, my wife has been affected by this virus for one week. I have had to stay home from work and care for her the entire time which isnt easy. She went from pushing each day from 6:30 am until 7 pm 5 days a week to being bedbound with a nagging cough and headache, lethargy, zero appetite, unquenchable thirst, no sense of taste or smell and unable to work. Thankfully, her fever broke a day or two ago, but her lingering symptoms are whats surprising her the most. I wish she had only heeded my warnings.

JZ - 8-20-2023 at 01:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
Although Im in Riverside and not Baja, my wife has been affected by this virus for one week. I have had to stay home from work and care for her the entire time which isnt easy. She went from pushing each day from 6:30 am until 7 pm 5 days a week to being bedbound with a nagging cough and headache, lethargy, zero appetite, unquenchable thirst, no sense of taste or smell and unable to work. Thankfully, her fever broke a day or two ago, but her lingering symptoms are whats surprising her the most. I wish she had only heeded my warnings.

Hope she is doing better.

Anyone who is a little older or has any underlying issues should start Paxlovid treatment within the first few days. It makes a very big difference.

Ateo - 8-20-2023 at 01:35 PM

Hey Ken,

Hope she's doing better today and each day going forward. Miss you on this board and around town. Ha ha. Hope all is well.

Life is great here..........thanks for all the words of encouragement a few years ago.

AKgringo - 8-20-2023 at 02:14 PM

I came down with symptoms in late July that a home test kit confirmed was positive for a covid infection. It was no where near as bad as whatever I had at Thanksgiving of 2019, but the recovery was two weeks of a roller coaster ride of thinking it was behind me, then feeling sick all over again.

I have no idea where it came from. No one else in the wide range of contacts I have here in Nevada county has come down with symptoms either before, or after me.

I am 76, but I did not feel bad enough to seek medical attention. I isolated myself and told everyone who might either have had recent or future contact with me that, I tested positive. A neighbor gave me a five-tablet regimen of Ivermectin, which may, or may not have helped.

JZ - 8-20-2023 at 02:19 PM

Paxlovid folks. Take it. You can go to an Urgent Care to get it prescribed.

It's what they gave Biden when he got Covid.

JZ - 8-20-2023 at 02:21 PM

https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/13-things-to-know-paxlovid...

“It's really our first efficacious oral antiviral pill for this virus,” says Scott Roberts, MD, a Yale Medicine infectious diseases specialist. “It shows clear benefit, and it really can prevent hospitalization and death in people who are at high risk.”

Beyond that, it can lesson symptoms greatly and bring a much faster recovery. I was pretty sick on Xmas day in 2022. Went to the Urgent Care the next morning. By the 3rd day I was almost symptom free.

I read a bunch of articles on it and watched several YouTube videos before deciding it to give it a go. Helped me keep a family vacation to Baja that was a little more than 7 days after I got the virus.

[Edited on 8-20-2023 by JZ]

mtgoat666 - 8-20-2023 at 02:31 PM

Paxlovid folks. Take it. You can go to an Urgent Care to get it prescribed.

It's what they gave Biden when he got Covid.

You don’t need go to urgent care. Just do a tele-visit with your doc or PA. The home test for covid plus symptoms is usually enough to get rx.
I took paxlovid when I had covid. It has an unpleasant side effect of making your mouth taste like a garbage can.

Sweetwater - 8-20-2023 at 06:17 PM

You don’t need go to urgent care. Just do a tele-visit with your doc or PA. The home test for covid plus symptoms is usually enough to get rx.
I took paxlovid when I had covid. It has an unpleasant side effect of making your mouth taste like a garbage can.

Good to know about the tele visit.

I read that it can amplify some traits the person already has. So your mouth tasting like a garbage can should come as no surprise. Mine was very sweet tasting. :lol:

[Edited on 8-20-2023 by JZ]

Paxlovid is available at the pharmacy with a pharmacist.
The information is one reason I've remained licensed.
To combat the insentient, incessant barrage of misinformation from right wing MAGA idiots. :bounce:
Facts and real information are dangerous to that bunch. :lol:

FDA revised Paxlovid's EUA in July 2022 to include pharmacists among other health care professionals permitted to prescribe this therapeutic medication, recognizing pharmacists' expertise and the accessibility of pharmacies to provide a test-to-treat model, especially in underserved areas.Feb 7, 2023.
https://pharmacist.com/Publications/Pharmacy-Today/Article/p...

JZ - 8-20-2023 at 09:23 PM

[

Half pint,
Do you think anyone comes here seeking medical advice on covid? And do you think anyone, anywhere would seek medica advice on covid from you? :lol::lol::lol:
Get a grip, man! :P:P:P

My friend this is one of the rare times you and I were agreeing with each other, mostly.

And that weirdo destroyed our moment, while exposing himself as a heartless human for not sharing info that could really help his fellow Nomands.

surabi - 8-21-2023 at 02:15 PM

Prevention is always preferable to a cure. Quite laughable that a guy who railed against masking, lockdowns and mandatory vaccination and bragged about going out and about all through Covid, travelling and attending mass events which spread the virus, is now "helping" people by telling them to take an anti-viral medication. And seems to think everyone is unaware of it and needs his "medical" advice.

BajaMama - 8-21-2023 at 06:14 PM

Hijacking back to original topic - uptick in covid cases. Empirical evidence suggests there is an uptick. My husband just walked in and reported 8 employees on 3 different job sites who are sick.

surabi - 8-22-2023 at 01:25 PM

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/hollywood-studio-brings-back-mask-...

BajaMama - 8-22-2023 at 04:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
My husband just walked in and reported 8 employees on 3 different job sites who are sick.

Wow. Where are these sites (Mexico, California?)

Northern California, Bay Area. He has had PEs & PMs report a case now and then, but 8 in one day was a lot - granted it was Monday.

SFandH - 8-22-2023 at 06:10 PM

New boosters will be available in mid-September. Get your annual vaccination, or don't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4MysjqSvfk

Alm - 8-22-2023 at 07:25 PM

Cases are not being monitored properly these days.

OTH, hospitalizations in the US have been accelerating for the 4th straight week, this is not just empirical.
ER visits for seniors over 75 and for children ages 0 to 11 have climbed steeply, with the steepest increase for children 1 year and younger. In Arkansas, Louisiana, and Texas the share of ER visits for children ages 0 to 11 have surpassed seniors.

JZ - 9-4-2023 at 03:48 PM

NY Times citing comprehensive study says masks don't work.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/21/opinion/do-mask-mandates-...

The most rigorous and comprehensive analysis of scientific studies conducted on the efficacy of masks for reducing the spread of respiratory illnesses — including Covid-19 — was published late last month. Its conclusions, said Tom Jefferson, the Oxford epidemiologist who is its lead author, were unambiguous.

“There is just no evidence that they” — masks — “make any difference,” he told the journalist Maryanne Demasi. “Full stop.”

What about the studies that initially persuaded policymakers to impose mask mandates?

“They were convinced by non-randomized studies, flawed observational studies.”

These observations don’t come from just anywhere. Jefferson and 11 colleagues conducted the study for Cochrane, a British nonprofit that is widely considered the gold standard for its reviews of health care data. The conclusions were based on 78 randomized controlled trials, six of them during the Covid pandemic, with a total of 610,872 participants in multiple countries. And they track what has been widely observed in the United States: States with mask mandates fared no better against Covid than those without.

CNN just confronted Fauci with the mask study yesterday and Fauci talks in circles:
https://twitter.com/ClayTravis/status/1698370513460973879?s=...

[Edited on 9-4-2023 by JZ]

SFandH - 9-4-2023 at 04:26 PM

NY Times citing comprehensive study says masks don't work.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/21/opinion/do-mask-mandates-...

Here are the authors' conclusions from the actual study (emphasis added):

Authors' conclusions

"The high risk of bias in the trials, variation in outcome measurement, and relatively low adherence with the interventions during the studies hampers drawing firm conclusions. There were additional RCTs during the pandemic related to physical interventions but a relative paucity given the importance of the question of masking and its relative effectiveness and the concomitant measures of mask adherence which would be highly relevant to the measurement of effectiveness, especially in the elderly and in young children.

There is uncertainty about the effects of face masks. The low to moderate certainty of evidence means our confidence in the effect estimate is limited, and that the true effect may be different from the observed estimate of the effect. The pooled results of RCTs did not show a clear reduction in respiratory viral infection with the use of medical/surgical masks. There were no clear differences between the use of medical/surgical masks compared with N95/P2 respirators in healthcare workers when used in routine care to reduce respiratory viral infection. Hand hygiene is likely to modestly reduce the burden of respiratory illness, and although this effect was also present when ILI and laboratory‐confirmed influenza were analysed separately, it was not found to be a significant difference for the latter two outcomes. Harms associated with physical interventions were under‐investigated.

There is a need for large, well‐designed RCTs addressing the effectiveness of many of these interventions in multiple settings and populations, as well as the impact of adherence on effectiveness, especially in those most at risk of ARIs."

https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD...

It's interesting how you trash the New York Times unless it publishes something that agrees with your ideological-driven thinking.

Also, the NYT article is on the newspaper's Opinion page.

[Edited on 9-4-2023 by SFandH]

My sense of smell is recovering!

AKgringo - 9-4-2023 at 04:37 PM

One of the first signs that the cough I developed in July might be covid was my inability to smell food I was cooking, or anything else for that matter. I even took the top off of a gasoline jug and smelled nothing when I sniffed it!

Yesterday, for the first time since July, I realized that my dog still stinks up the inside of my Trooper, and needs a bath! I suppose that means I will also be able to appreciate her farts again. :(

JZ - 9-4-2023 at 04:44 PM

It's interesting how you trash the New York Times unless it publishes something that agrees with your ideological-driven thinking.

NYT's and CNN are propaganda arms of the DNC. I used them, as those are the sources you believe. I try to not quote Fox, etc.

Those are direct quotes. Are you saying they lied?

The CNN host certainly gives it some credence to the study. Did you bother to listen to Fauci's jibber-jabber in the CNN interview? Did that inspire confidence? He basically said masks don't help on the the grand scale of a pandemic, but do on the individual level?? Whatever that means, who knows.

The was a Dr. from NIH who said in 2021 that cloth masks were totally worthless. Those comments seem to be magically removed from YouTube.

None of this has you questioning these people? There are lots of videos out there showing Fauci has lied about a number of things. You can see him in 2023 claiming he didn't recommend lock downs, and then they play a clip from 2020 of him saying he recommended lock downs. Shady, shady stuff.

[Edited on 9-4-2023 by JZ]

surabi - 9-4-2023 at 05:03 PM

The term "cloth mask" is about as specific as the word "fuel". Just as there are multiple types of fuel, there are multiple types of "cloth masks". Just like gas doesn't work to fuel an electric stove, a thin bandana doesn't work to stop the spread of virus particles. I explained this to you here 2 years ago, but you ignore whatever doesn't fit your agenda.

Nor do you understand that liberals don't simply believe something because it's reported on what you mistakenly refer to as "lib rags", so using the NYT as a source, thinking that's all it takes for us to believe something is a fact, is laughable.
We aren't as gullible and incapable of doing our own research, or comprehending what an article really says, as opposed to cherry picking, as you right wingers.

SFandH - 9-4-2023 at 05:04 PM

NYT's and CNN are propaganda arms of the DNC. I used them, as those are the sources you believe. I try to not quote Fox, etc.

Those are direct quotes. Are you saying they lied?

The Times published an opinion by Bret Stephans, an Opinion Columnist. It says OPINION at the top of the page in bold red letters. Then this is printed before the start:

By Bret Stephens
Opinion Columnist

That should send a signal that what you are about to read is not fact, it's an opinion.

Plus, it was published in February. Where have you been? Or did it take TikTok that long to stir the pot?

Maybe you should read the Times every day, stay up on the news.

Also, I listened to what Fauci said, it made sense to me. I guess you didn't understand.

[Edited on 9-5-2023 by SFandH]

JZ - 9-4-2023 at 05:19 PM

The study has been all over the news because of the CNN interview and Fauci's nonsensical answer.

The NYT's let the story be posted. Their editors blessed it. The direct quotes from the researcher are not opinions of the person who wrote the article. The description of who the research lab is and how many ppl were in the study are not opinions. Basically nothing I posted was the author's opinion.

[Edited on 9-5-2023 by JZ]

surabi - 9-4-2023 at 05:20 PM

I understood it, too. Not that complicated. I guess people who can't think outside their box perceive those whose opinions don't bolster their own as "talking in circles".

RFClark - 9-4-2023 at 07:09 PM

S,

The monsoon flooded near by Los Wages a few days ago prior to the start of festivities on the “dry lake”.

The house I built is about 600 ft back and 70 ft above the beach. It’s designed at least to Florida hurricane specs and is earthquake resistant. Did you sell your place in Cabo?

I judge people as individuals not by there “color code”. My enemy’s enemy is just that, no more and no less.

surabi - 9-4-2023 at 07:32 PM

The house I built is about 600 ft back and 70 ft above the beach. It’s designed at least to Florida hurricane specs and is earthquake resistant. Did you sell your place in Cabo?

Your place would likely withstand a major hurricane better than most, but I wouldn't be too overconfident if I were you. 600 ft. from the beach and 70 ft. above is nothing in a major hurricane. I've never owned a place in Cabo.

[Edited on 9-5-2023 by surabi]

RFClark - 9-4-2023 at 07:36 PM

S,

I’m the one that keeps reminding people that Murphy can outbid your worst nightmares! I thought that you built a place down there?

mtgoat666 - 9-4-2023 at 07:37 PM

Today i heard from a friend still at burning man. He reports he’s having fun, thinks the news is slanted to tell a drama. He reports it’s like any car camping trip in the wet, just have fun, roll with the punches.

surabi - 9-4-2023 at 07:39 PM

Don't know where you got that idea. I'd never want to live there.

RFClark - 9-4-2023 at 08:39 PM

Goat,

Been in mud like that. Got a crawler tractor stuck in mud like that. Had to wait until spring to get it out. Past a frequent use of the first two letters in “fun” I can’t remembering ever using the complete word to describe the situation. I also got 4X4s stuck had to winch them out. Used the same word frequently.

Pages:  1  2    4