BajaNomad

Tropical Storm John

Pages:  1    3    5  6

Cincodemayo - 9-1-2006 at 04:27 PM

Legs...I've thought the same thing. How can you call this thing small?

BajaNews - 9-1-2006 at 04:34 PM

through 3pm PDT

David K - 9-1-2006 at 04:36 PM

Danger comes from flash floods for those not along the coast... Get out of the arroyos and don't cross flooded vados... it's not worth it amigos!

Hook - 9-1-2006 at 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by longlegsinlapaz
Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
One of the weather underground's meteorologists is predicting that the East Cape will suffer the most damage from the eye wall.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?en...

I'm confused.....this guy repeatedly refers to John as a SMALL hurricane. From the sat pics I've been watching for the past few days, it looks friggin HUGE to me. It appears to be spanninng an area of at least 8-10 times the width of the peninsula. Is he only referring to the eye?? And the peripheral damage potential adjacent to the eye?

It's true. The diameter of this is actually quite small, as hurricanes go.

Do you remember how big Katrina was last year?

comitan - 9-1-2006 at 04:47 PM

The National weather service has it coming in at frailes, that would affect them people on the east cape,That would hit Osprey direct, and we haven't heard from him, He is up high enough but could get some severe wind damage, good luck Geo.

Hi From San Jose

bajajudy - 9-1-2006 at 04:48 PM

Looks like John has passed us by. Winds, pretty gusty but not over 30, are out of the north now.
Look out up there!

Although I havent been down to the beach lately, from here the waves looked pretty big and mean.

I will take some photos tomorrow and post them if John doesnt blow down all the power lines between me and the power station.

I must say that the waiting is the hardest part. And we have too much information now. You can drive yourself nuts flitting from one weather site to another. I decided this morning not to look, plus I still had some things that I wanted to get done. When I finally did check it out, it had almost gone by us.

Suerte to all those north of me.

[Edited on 9-1-2006 by bajajudy]

DianaT - 9-1-2006 at 04:48 PM

I am keeping positive thoughts for ALL the residents of Baja Sur.

Watching CNN is awful---they seem to only be concerned with the stranded tourists, and a little about the ex-pats---it makes me want to scream :fire:

At least I know that the members of this forum are not only concerned with the tourists, and the ex-pats living there, they are concerned about EVERYONE.

Stay safe
Diane

Taco de Baja - 9-1-2006 at 04:48 PM

East Pacific hurricanes are only small when compared to the hurricanes of the Atlantic and the typhoons (hurricanes) of the west Pacific....That being said they can still do HUGE damage, and I doubt the writer would really call it small if it were making a bee line for Los Angeles....

dono - 9-1-2006 at 05:08 PM

Here in north Barriles winds are about 25-35 mph, waves are about 8 ft, tide is very high. The last rain squall was out of the north-east, so we are in the northern reaches of the counter clock wise movement of John.This is one of the few times I would rather be in So. Calif. The last time I wanted to be there was hurricane Marty. Good luck to all who get to experiance John------------Don

Al G - 9-1-2006 at 05:11 PM

Update: CNN just reported the eye wall just landed at or near Punta Boca del Tule.

john

tehag - 9-1-2006 at 05:17 PM

NOAA also has John currently coming ashore on the East Cape. Not great news for the people there, but the storm will weaken quickly if it stays over land. I'm in Loreto and watching with trepidation and lots of extra water and junk food.

capitolkat - 9-1-2006 at 05:22 PM

I think I should become a metorologist. About 10 hours ago I noticed the storm had abandoned it's westward drift and held on 108.8 longitutde for over 9 hours- heading to the SOC. I was thinking of my friends in L Paz but also of the numbers of the poor community in the arroyos in the CAbo area.

If all remains the same I'll be there on Thursday- I still offer to bring what I can if there are specific needs. Hang in there - we're all pulling for you.-- Norm

JESSE - 9-1-2006 at 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNews
Roberto Alvarez, of Cabo San Lucas, surfs in front of the city's famous rock arch in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, Friday, Sept. 1, 2006, as Hurricane John nears. (AP Photo/Gregory Bull)

Hah!!! thats a funny picture, only during a hurricane can you surf medano beach, did it back in 96.

JESSE - 9-1-2006 at 05:38 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
One of the weather underground's meteorologists is predicting that the East Cape will suffer the most damage from the eye wall.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?en...

I'm confused.....this guy repeatedly refers to John as a SMALL hurricane. From the sat pics I've been watching for the past few days, it looks friggin HUGE to me. It appears to be spanninng an area of at least 8-10 times the width of the peninsula. Is he only referring to the eye?? And the peripheral damage potential adjacent to the eye?

Its small compared to this>

Hurricane linda category 5

JESSE - 9-1-2006 at 05:43 PM

My last prediction of the day, this thing is going to go up the east cape shore, and come in over Los planes-la ventana, go right tru La Paz, and head north of Todos santos.

This is it for me, you all take care and be safe.

M_Man - 9-1-2006 at 05:47 PM

When was H. Linda? Yikes!

DianaT - 9-1-2006 at 05:48 PM

Jesse,

Be safe----

That is some picture of Linda----

Diane

Al G - 9-1-2006 at 05:48 PM

Quote:
[for the past few days, it looks friggin HUGE to me. It appears to be spanninng an area of at least 8-10 times the width of the peninsula. Is he only referring to the eye?? And the peripheral damage potential adjacent to the eye?

Its small compared to this>

Holy Cr*p!!! I knew, I knew nothing about Hurricanes, but that THING is 50 times the size of John! WOW.

[Edited on 9-2-2006 by Al G]

CaboMagic - 9-1-2006 at 05:55 PM

Amigos and Amigas

Thankfully so far things are not as awful as they could have been in Cabo ...

Am gathering current reports from staff/crews that live north and northwest of the CSL marina ... will post ..

To those in the northwest quadrant .. our prayers that HJ moves quickly ...

LG

[Edited on 9-2-2006 by CaboMagic]

Russ - 9-1-2006 at 05:58 PM

Any word out of Cabo?

movinguy - 9-1-2006 at 06:02 PM

Prayers to all on the east cape . . .

Hope Pulmo survives as well - hurricanes have done some nasty damage to reef systems . . .

:no:

comitan - 9-1-2006 at 06:06 PM

Linda

Sept. 1997 We were here and don't even remember it.

mike odell - 9-1-2006 at 06:11 PM

La Ribera report at 7 05
Cant see the beach which is 2 blocks from my house, winds gusting to I estimate 60 mph, rain but not torrential, all in all not too bad really!
I think this storm is behind us maybe close to Santiago, hard to tell,
but wind is stiff out of the North, Power is still up, amazingly enough!
Will report if possible later.

longlegsinlapaz - 9-1-2006 at 06:25 PM

JEEEEEZZZZ JESSE!!!! You really have a way of putting it into perspective in such graphic manner! I now understand how John could be called small! :bounce: Thanks for that visual!! :o

CaboMagic - 9-1-2006 at 06:30 PM

Prayers seem to be answered for mercy from Mother Nature ..

CSL has had overcast skies, lots of humidity, occassional rain but nothing like what we have experienced before in the way of tropical storms ..

We are checking on family in LPaz and are hopeful for similar reports ...

LG

Bruce R Leech - 9-1-2006 at 06:32 PM

Bring it on we need the rain. what ever else happens happens:yes:

Al G - 9-1-2006 at 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
Bring it on we need the rain. what ever else happens happens:yes:

I don't know where your at, but you MAY live to regret that statement amigo.

mike odell - 9-1-2006 at 06:43 PM

La Ribera report 7:40pm
Power is down in town now, am on generator, winds are getting stronger, almost blew me over while out turning on generator! Dark now but not as bad as everone here expected, course till the winds are down it aint over.

BajaNews - 9-1-2006 at 06:53 PM

HURRICANE JOHN INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER 18A
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL EP112006
500 PM PDT FRI SEP 01 2006

...EYE OF HURRICANE JOHN NEAR SOUTHERN BAJA CALIFORNIA NORTHEAST OF
CABO SAN LUCAS...EYEWALL MOVING ONTO THE COAST...

A HURRICANE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE SOUTHERN BAJA
PENINSULA FROM SAN EVERISTO SOUTHWARD ON THE EAST COAST...AND FROM
BAHIA MAGDALENA SOUTHWARD ON THE WEST COAST. PREPARATIONS TO
PROTECT LIFE AND PROPERTY SHOULD BE RUSHED TO COMPLETION.

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE CENTRAL BAJA
CALIFORNIA PENINSULA FROM PUNTA ABREOJOS SOUTHWARD TO BAHIA
MAGDALENA ON THE WEST COAST...AND NORTHWARD FROM SAN EVERISTO
TO LORETO ON THE EAST COAST. THESE WARNINGS MAY HAVE TO BE EXTENDED
NORTHWARD ON THE EAST COAST LATER TONIGHT.

A HURRICANE WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT ALONG THE WEST COAST OF
THE BAJA PENINSULA FROM BAHIA MAGDALENA TO PUNTA ABREOJOS.

A TROPICAL STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT ALONG THE EAST COAST OF
THE BAJA PENINSULA FROM LORETO NORTHWARD TO MULEGE.

FOR STORM INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO YOUR AREA...INCLUDING POSSIBLE
INLAND WATCHES AND WARNINGS...PLEASE MONITOR PRODUCTS ISSUED
BY YOUR LOCAL WEATHER OFFICE.

AT 500 PM PDT...0000Z...THE EYE OF HURRICANE JOHN WAS LOCATED BY
SATELLITE AND RADAR FROM CABO SAN LUCAS NEAR LATITUDE 23.2 NORTH...
LONGITUDE 109.2 WEST. THIS POSITION IS NEAR THE EAST COAST OF THE
SOUTHERN TIP OF BAJA CALIFORNIA ABOUT 25 MILES...40 KM...EAST OF
SAN JOSE DEL CABO.

JOHN IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTH-NORTHWEST NEAR 10 MPH...16 KM/HR...
AND A TURN TOWARD THE NORTHWEST IS EXPECTED LATE TONIGHT. ON THIS
TRACK...THE EYE OF JOHN WILL PASS NEAR OR OVER THE EAST COAST OF THE
SOUTHERN TIP OF BAJA CALIFORNIA IN THE NEXT HOUR OR TWO.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 110 MPH...175 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
GUSTS. JOHN IS A CATEGORY TWO HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON
SCALE. NO SIGNIFICANT CHANGE IN STRENGTH IS LIKELY BEFORE LANDFALL.

JOHN IS A SMALL TROPICAL CYCLONE. HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND
OUTWARD UP TO 25 MILES...35 KM...FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL
STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 85 MILES...140 KM.

THE ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 958 MB...28.29 INCHES.

COASTAL STORM SURGE FLOODING OF UP TO 5 FEET ABOVE NORMAL TIDE
LEVELS...ALONG WITH LARGE AND DANGEROUS BATTERING WAVES...CAN BE
EXPECTED IN AREAS OF ONSHORE FLOW NEAR THE PATH OF THE CENTER OF
THE HURRICANE.

RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF 6 TO 10 INCHES...WITH ISOLATED MAXIMUM STORM
TOTALS UP TO 15 INCHES...ARE POSSIBLE ACROSS THE SOUTHERN BAJA
PENINSULA. THE WEST COAST OF CENTRAL MEXICO COULD RECEIVE AN
ADDITIONAL 3 TO 5 INCHES OF RAIN WITH MAXIMUM STORM TOTALS OF 18
INCHES POSSIBLE. THESE RAINS COULD CAUSE LIFE-THREATENING FLASH
FLOODS AND MUDSLIDES OVER AREAS OF MOUNTAINOUS TERRAIN.

REPEATING THE 500 PM PDT POSITION...23.2 N...109.2 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...NORTH-NORTHWEST NEAR 10 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...110
MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...958 MB.

THE NEXT ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL
HURRICANE CENTER AT 800 PM PDT.

dono - 9-1-2006 at 06:59 PM

We also just lost power here in north Barriles, the surf is over 10 ft, wind still out of the north, tide is high, pounding against our sea wall, scary, just ran out of wine real scary. Hope this is over soon-----------------

longlegsinlapaz - 9-1-2006 at 07:02 PM

Okay, I might be dilusional from lack of sleep, but if John was still "CENTERED ABOUT 60 MILES EAST OF THE SOUTHERN TIP OF BAJA CALIFORNIA" & it's traveling about 8 mph, how could it have been & gone in SJDC a couple hours ago? Are the live updates coming in faster than the sat image updates? I'm NOT doubting Judy's veracity....it just doesn't make sense to me. And please don't tell me that doesn't surprise you Lencho! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Did it pass them way to the South East versus Northbound? :?: I need some sleep!!!

Bajabus - 9-1-2006 at 07:06 PM

rain heavy and out of the north in Elias Calles...started heavy with the wind changing and coming out of the north around 5PM local time.

comitan - 9-1-2006 at 07:12 PM

Carol

The only thing you need to worry about is to wake up in the morning with a sailboat in your front yard.:lol::lol::lol:

Diver - 9-1-2006 at 07:13 PM

Cabo radar showed the eye reaching land just northeast of San Jose Del Cabo around 2:00 pm today. At that time it was headed northwest towards La Paz.

Bajabus - 9-1-2006 at 07:31 PM

Just got this from Rick in Elias Calles:

hello max,,well its 8:05,, I think we just get to much information,,,this thing has gone from one side to the other,,i have see it rain and get a little windy,, right now its calm,,and a light shower,, i mean light..so far the worst thing is i spilled my drink on my new laptop,, and now it will not turn on,,,wonderful,,, i have it upside down and blew it out with air,,, i sure hope it drys out,, what i see is that it came in on the east cape,,by hotel los frigolas,,, and the outer bands dont even go over the mountains,,,, i have not heard from lou,,,so he might be getting pounded,, i will kept you posted...

Al G - 9-1-2006 at 07:34 PM

Quote:
Okay, I might be dilusional from lack of sleep, but if John was still "CENTERED ABOUT 60 MILES EAST OF THE SOUTHERN TIP OF BAJA CALIFORNIA" & it's traveling about 8 mph, how could it have been & gone in SJDC a couple hours ago? Are the live updates coming in faster than the sat image updates? I'm NOT doubting Judy's veracity....it just doesn't make sense to me. And please don't tell me that doesn't surprise you Lencho! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Did it pass them way to the South East versus Northbound? :?: I need some sleep!!!

It is still coming, but I really hope it is not as bad as we expected. Set your alarm get a couple hours sleep, and do not stay in the same room as glass if possible. I have not been through what your going through, but saying what I feel is common sense. I wish I could do more.

bajablue - 9-1-2006 at 07:46 PM

"400 mile to Tijuana".. anybody know where this road is as stated on CNN.com ?
"Officials closed the airport Thursday night, ending a mad scramble for last-minute flights, and driving out wasn't an option for many -- the one, narrow road north stretches 400 miles (650 kilometers) to Tijuana on the U.S. border.

Hurricane John's center to avoid land

BajaNews - 9-1-2006 at 07:49 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060902/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/hurric...

By MARK STEVENSON

CABO SAN LUCAS, Mexico - Hurricane John's outer edge roared over the lightly populated eastern tip of the Baja California peninsula late Friday, but the category-2 storm appeared to spare the glistening resorts of Cabo San Lucas, authorities said.

John brought hurricane-force winds to coastal towns like La Tienda, where government officials said flimsy homes would not be able to withstand the storm's 110 mph top sustained winds. But the storm's center was not expected to move over land, instead brushing past the peninsula.

"We're not certain it's going to make landfall," Chris Sisko, a meteorologist at the National Hurricane Center in Miami, said of the eye of the storm. "It's what we call a strike, and not an actual landfall on the peninsula."

Sisko said the storm would continue to lash Baja's eastern tip for hours, but that the twin resorts of Cabo San Lucas and San Jose Del Cabo appeared out of danger.

John wasn't likely to affect the United States; cooler Pacific waters tend to diminish storms before they reach California.

Luis Armando Diaz, mayor of the municipality encompassing both resorts, said: "fortunately ... we don't have a frontal impact."

"That doesn't remove the possibility that we could still be affected," he added.

Some streets were flooded in Cabo San Lucas, but the water was merely ankle-deep at its highest. Stores reopened two hours after hurricane-force winds first lashed the peninsula and residents antsy from spending all day in shelters emerged into the streets, where some started a pickup soccer game.

Known for the rugged beauty of their unique desert-ocean landscapes, the two resort cities of San Jose del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas on the southern tip of the Baja peninsula are studded with high-end golf courses. The resorts are extremely popular with sports fishermen and celebrities. Rooms at some of the higher end hotels go for more than $2,000 a night.

On Friday, thousands of tourists who couldn't get flights out prepared to ride out the storm.

"That water wasn't that high a few minutes ago," said Dale Broomfield, 26, a nurse from Adelaide, Australia, who negotiated a makeshift plank bridge over water that rose up between his hotel and an adjoining convention hall-turned-shelter in Cabo San Lucas.

Nearby, Guadalupe Amezcua, a 50-year-old tourist from Mexico City, set up camp on one of many mattresses on the floor of the hall, where windowless rooms provided protection from wind.

"This is like an adventure for us, but I've learned now: never travel during hurricane season," Amezcua said as she folded her clothes.

"We came for the sun ? and now look!"

Miles away from the glittering coastal hotels, 46-year-old bricklayer Francisco Casas Perez sat outside a schoolroom where he and his 14-year-old son spent the night. They were evacuated from their tin-roofed shack in Tierra y Libertad, one of the squatters camps that dot the sandy flats around Cabo San Lucas.

"We've been asking God to not let it hit too hard," he said. "We could lose all our possessions."

The Mexican Navy and police evacuated residents, sometimes forcibly, from Tierra y Libertad and other shantytowns, many of which are built next to usually dry riverbeds.

Casas Perez went voluntarily to the shelter, where people slept on thin pads stretched side-by-side over the concrete floor.

"The hurricane is no game, especially where we are surrounded by water on all sides," he said.

Olga Lidia Aguilar, 32, was evacuated from her tar-paper shack in the shantytown of Lagunita.

"We feel safer here," she said as she and her five children waited in line for free tuna salad and tortillas. "Our house could just blow away in the wind."

Up to 8,000 tourists remained in Cabo San Lucas on Friday; hundreds more foreigners are full-time residents. Most visitors are American.

As the storm approached, the Hotel Tesoro told guests they could stay in their rooms at their own risk, but suggested they go the hotel's shelter or hunker down in their bathrooms.

The towns' shops and restaurants were almost all closed, many with their windows boarded up. Hotel workers stripped rooms of light fixtures and furniture, in case plate-glass windows shattered.

Officials closed the airport Thursday night, ending a mad scramble for last-minute flights, and driving out wasn't an option for many ? the one, narrow road north stretches 400 miles to Tijuana on the U.S. border. A tropical storm warning was in effect for the desolate middle stretch of the peninsula, a region dotted with American-owned vacation and retirement homes.

The National Hurricane Center warned that John could fuel storm surges of up to 5 feet above normal tide and bring 6 to 10 inches of rain, possibly causing "life-threatening flash floods and mudslides" over mountainous areas.

mike odell - 9-1-2006 at 07:50 PM

La Ribera Report
We have been blasted whith Heavy wind for the last hour, stuff flying around, and now almost calm, I think we are in the eye right now. Am gonna go out and look around, a lot of lightning, small windows that I didnot think I need to board up were flexing and felt ready to let go, just outside calm but really wierd!!!

BCSTech - 9-1-2006 at 07:59 PM

I stitched together a storm track for Hurricane John for the last six hours using the radar images from the Los Cabos Radar Station:

(Updated 10:30 PM BST - Baja Sur Time)

http://www.bajasatellite.com/Hurricane-John-Storm-Track.asp

I'll update the track images throughout the evening. Pray for our fellow citizens throughout the Baja.

Stay Safe...

[Edited on 9-2-2006 by BCSTech]

Storm chasers revel in Mexico hurricane threat

BajaNews - 9-1-2006 at 07:59 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060901/us_nm/weather_mexico_sto...

By Noel Randewich
Fri Sep 1, 5:44 PM ET

LOS CABOS, Mexico (Reuters) - While Mexican residents and foreign tourists rushed to take shelter from Hurricane John roaring toward this beach resort on Friday, two American extreme weather enthusiasts were loving it.

Reed Timmer and Joel Taylor say they travel tens of thousands of miles (km) a year risking their lives to stand in hurricanes, tornadoes and blizzards just for fun.

"We definitely get a massive adrenaline rush and sense of excitement since we know strong winds and devastating rains are looming," meteorology student Timmer said.

Carrying helmets and goggles to shield them from flying debris, the pair flew to the Los Cabos resort in Mexico's Baja California peninsula this week hoping to meet John head on.

Packing winds of 110 mph (175 kph), the storm was due to swipe the peninsula near Los Cabos on Friday afternoon.

Veterans of tornadoes in their native Oklahoma, the storm chasers have now gone through five hurricanes, including Katrina which devastated New Orleans last year.

"The scariest, most intense moment storm chasing was definitely Hurricane Katrina where we lost our car in the flood waters," said Timmer 26.

They were trapped for 12 hours east of New Orleans and running out of food and water before a fishing boat rescued them.

The pair film and photograph extreme weather close up and send it to their web site.

In Los Cabos, they rented a room in a five-star hotel right on the beach to have a better view when the storm slams in. Hotel management made them sign a waiver saying they refused to take shelter with other guests.

Their hobby raised a few eyebrows.

"They're crazy. They are danger fanatics. You could lose your life," said Paul Quinones, a power-line worker sent to Los Cabos for the storm.

Timmer started following tornadoes in the U.S. Great Plains in 1998, often driving as far as the Canadian or Mexican borders, sleeping in a car and living off fast food to catch the most violent storms.

Despite the buzz of being in the eye of storms, the two are aware that extreme weather often causes tragedy.

"One crazy thing about storm chasing is that one second we can be extremely excited about a massive tornado or hurricane, but this rush turns to sadness when we witness all the damage and destruction first hand," Timmer said.

Al G - 9-1-2006 at 08:06 PM

Looks like it is growing again:
http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/ep200611.asp#a_topad

comitan - 9-1-2006 at 08:07 PM

Mexican TV here in La Paz is predicting that John will make landfall at San Evaristo about 4AM in the morning.

Bruce R Leech - 9-1-2006 at 08:08 PM

hang on to your hat comitan and send some up this way:bounce:

BajaNews - 9-1-2006 at 08:08 PM

Two tourists from Guadalajara, Mexico, holds on to their beers as a wave crashes onshore in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, Friday, Sept. 1, 2006, as Hurricane John nears. (AP Photo/Gregory Bull)

comitan - 9-1-2006 at 08:09 PM

Al

Your link says Emelia.

BajaNews - 9-1-2006 at 08:12 PM

3-day tracking prediction as of 8pm PDT:

Al G - 9-1-2006 at 08:13 PM

Sorry don't know what happened
http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/ep200611_sat.h...

comitan - 9-1-2006 at 08:16 PM

Bruce

Be patient its coming, you will get all the rain you want, Here in La Paz its raining buckets.

BajaNews - 9-1-2006 at 08:21 PM

Through 6:30pm:

BajaNews - 9-1-2006 at 08:24 PM

Bruce, if you look at that 8pm track, it shows up to 70mph winds at Conception Bay by 5am Sunday.

:?:

mike odell - 9-1-2006 at 08:25 PM

La Ribera Report,
The eye is passing as the wind is coming up strong again, Hope this side is a little weaker, I got enough trees and bushes etc to clean up to last awhile! You folks in La Paz duct tape your hats on, All from me tonight
9:30 pm

ayeman - 9-1-2006 at 08:59 PM

mike odell is it as bad as maarty? any word from los b?

BajaNews - 9-1-2006 at 09:04 PM

Through 7:30pm:

BajaNews - 9-1-2006 at 09:09 PM

HURRICANE JOHN ADVISORY NUMBER 19
800 PM PDT FRI SEP 01 2006

...EYE OF HURRICANE JOHN MAKES LANDFALL NEAR CABO DEL ESTE IN
SOUTHERN BAJA CALIFORNIA...

AT 8 PM PDT...0300 UTC...THE GOVERNMENT OF MEXICO HAS EXTENDED THE
HURRICANE WARNINGS NORTHWARD ALONG THE EAST COAST OF BAJA
CALIFORNIA TO MULEGE...AND ALONG THE WEST COAST TO PUNTA ABREOJOS.
A HURRICANE WARNING IS NOW IN EFFECT FROM MULEGE SOUTHWARD ALONG
THE EAST COAST OF BAJA CALIFORNIA...AND FROM PUNTA ABREOJOS
SOUTHWARD ALONG THE WEST COAST OF BAJA CALIFORNIA. PREPARATIONS TO

AT 8 PM PDT...0300 UTC...THE GOVERNMENT OF MEXICO HAS ISSUED A
TROPICAL STORM WATCH FOR THE EAST COAST OF BAJA CALIFORNIA NORTH OF
MULEGE TO BAHIA SAN JUAN BAUTISTA...AND FOR THE WEST COAST OF BAJA
CALIFORNIA NORTH OF PUNTA ABREOJOS TO PUNTA EUGENIA.

AT 8 PM PDT...0300 UTC...THE GOVERNMENT OF MEXICO HAS ALSO ISSUED A
TROPICAL STORM WATCH FOR THE MAINLAND COAST OF MEXICO FROM ALTATA
TO GUAYMAS. A TROPICAL STORM WATCH MEANS THAT TROPICAL STORM
CONDITIONS ARE POSSIBLE WITHIN THE WATCH AREA...GENERALLY WITHIN 36
HOURS.

INTERESTS ELSEWHERE IN AND NEAR THE GULF OF CALIFORNIA...BAJA
CALIFORNIA....AND NORTHWESTERN MEXICO SHOULD MONITOR THE PROGRESS
OF JOHN.

AT 800 PM PDT...0300Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE JOHN WAS LOCATED
NEAR LATITUDE 23.4 NORTH...LONGITUDE 109.6 WEST. THIS POSITION
IS NEAR LOS FRAILES MEXICO AND ABOUT 20 MILES...30 KM...
NORTH-NORTHEAST OF SAN JOSE DEL CABO MEXICO. THIS IS ALSO ABOUT
70 MILES...115 KM...SOUTHEAST OF LA PAZ MEXICO. THE EYE OF JOHN
MADE LANDFALL NEAR CABO DEL ESTE AROUND 7 PM PDT..0200 UTC.

JOHN IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTH-NORTHWEST NEAR 9 MPH...15 KM/HR...
AND THIS GENERAL MOTION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE FOR THE NEXT 24
HOURS. THIS MOTION SHOULD BRING THE CENTER OF JOHN NEAR THE
EASTERN COAST OF SOUTH BAJA CALIFORNIA TONIGHT AND SATURDAY.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 110 MPH...175 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
SCALE. SOME WEAKENING IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

JOHN REMAINS A SMALL TROPICAL CYCLONE. HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 958 MB...28.29 INCHES.

THE HURRICANE.

RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF 6 TO 12 INCHES...WITH ISOLATED MAXIMUM STORM
TOTALS UP TO 18 INCHES...ARE POSSIBLE ACROSS THE CENTRAL AND
SOUTHERN BAJA CALIFORNIA PENINSULA. THE WEST COAST OF CENTRAL
MEXICO COULD RECEIVE AN ADDITIONAL 3 TO 6 INCHES OF RAIN WITH
MAXIMUM STORM TOTALS OF 18 INCHES POSSIBLE. THESE RAINS COULD
CAUSE LIFE-THREATENING FLASH FLOODS AND MUDSLIDES OVER AREAS OF
MOUNTAINOUS TERRAIN.

REPEATING THE 800 PM PDT POSITION...23.4 N...109.6 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...NORTH-NORTHWEST NEAR 9 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...110
MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...958 MB.

Bruce R Leech - 9-1-2006 at 09:14 PM

it seem to be braking up fast

Mike Odel

Tomas Tierra - 9-1-2006 at 09:19 PM

Your reports appreciated!!

After riding out "Isis" in La Ribera in '98, I would be interested to hear comparison between Isis and john..

We werestuck there for 3 days waiting for Las cuevas to recede....I understand there is a bridge there now..Is there still a bridge there???

Are you still there??

Bajabus - 9-1-2006 at 09:19 PM

Elias Calles reports indicate that as of 10:10PM local time the winds are the highest of all day and its getting worse. We have not heard from lou or anyone out on the east cape road in the past 5-6 hours, that's not good.

BajaNews - 9-1-2006 at 09:59 PM

Through 8:30pm PDT Friday night

[Edited on 9-2-2006 by BajaNews]

Omniously quiet out there.......

Hook - 9-1-2006 at 10:43 PM

.....has contact been lost down there or has the focus shifted to another post?

bajawife - 9-1-2006 at 10:46 PM

Maybe getting some well deserved rest?
fingers crossed!

FutureBajaRetiree - 9-1-2006 at 11:06 PM

Does anybody know how Los Barriles/Spa Buena Vista is doing??? I see messages from La Ribera but haven't seen anybody from Los Barriles or Buena Vista. Looks like John really smacked the Cabo Pulmo area pretty hard too...hoping Pepe's is still standing and everyone's OK.

I will do whatever I can from Las Vegas to send as much relief as I can...waiting until morning to see what needs to happen next to provide the best help I can.

Praying for best case scenario! Much love, Linda (Newbie)

Future Baja Retiree

frizkie - 9-1-2006 at 11:18 PM

Could you please tell me where you found out about Cabo Pulmo????

FutureBajaRetiree - 9-1-2006 at 11:31 PM

frizkie

Been watching cnn.com and wunderground.com all day. Most recent satellite pics I've seen looks like the eye went right over Cabo Pulmo area...or as best as I can tell on the maps/pics. Reaally hoping everyone's fine...I love that area of the East Cape. We were just there a month ago!

Linda and Morgaine

frizkie - 9-2-2006 at 12:03 AM

Thanks for that info and those links.....I have been watching those all day too. Linda, I just thought you had heard something in particular about Cabo Pulmo. Don't worry too much about PePe tho', it'll take a lot more than a Catagory 3 hurricane to take that boy down.:bounce: None the less, thoughts and hopes are with PePe and all other amigos at Pulmo tonight.
I sure hope it hasn't done a lot of damage to the reef...I love diving that reef.

FutureBajaRetiree - 9-2-2006 at 12:32 AM

Funny you should mention the reef...on our first visit to the East Cape (Sept 2004) we went snorkeling there. My husband said that it was so beautiful that he wanted to learn to dive! So I bought him SCUBA lessons for Christmas that year and he's been bit by the SCUBA bug! Last month was his first time diving there and he was in HEAVEN! Actually my 15yrold daughter took up diving last year and Cabo Pulmo was one of her first post-certification dives! I won't do it though...it scares me! I just sit on the beach and visit with the locals.
I sure hope everyone's OK. I'm so worried about everyone on the cape. I just keep having visions of Katrina's aftermath in my head and my heart breaks for those riding out the storm. I will do all I can to help with relief in the days/months to come. I don't recall any "Shanty towns" (as CNN called them) in that area of the cape though so maybe the loss of life will be minimal. I did notice some questionable buildings/houses in La Ribera though when we were looking at possible lots for our dream retirement home....

BajaNews - 9-2-2006 at 12:38 AM

HURRICANE JOHN INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER 19A
1100 PM PDT FRI SEP 01 2006

...JOHN LASHING THE EAST COAST OF THE SOUTHERN BAJA CALIFORNIA
PENINSULA...CENTER NEARING LA PAZ...

A HURRICANE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM MULEGE SOUTHWARD ALONG
THE EAST COAST OF THE BAJA CALIFORNIA PENINSULA...AND FROM PUNTA
ABREOJOS SOUTHWARD ALONG THE WEST COAST OF THE BAJA CALIFORNIA
PENINSULA. PREPARATIONS TO PROTECT LIFE AND PROPERTY SHOULD BE
RUSHED TO COMPLETION.

A TROPICAL STORM WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR THE EAST COAST OF THE BAJA
CALIFORNIA PENINSULA NORTH OF MULEGE TO BAHIA SAN JUAN
BAUTISTA...AND FOR THE WEST COAST OF THE BAJA CALIFORNIA PENINSULA
NORTH OF PUNTA ABREOJOS TO PUNTA EUGENIA. A TROPICAL STORM WATCH
MEANS THAT TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS ARE POSSIBLE WITHIN THE WATCH
AREA...GENERALLY WITHIN 36 HOURS.

A TROPICAL STORM WATCH IS ALSO IN EFFECT FOR THE COAST OF MAINLAND
MEXICO FROM ALTATA TO GUAYMAS.

INTERESTS ELSEWHERE IN AND NEAR THE GULF OF CALIFORNIA...THE BAJA
CALIFORNIA PENINSULA....AND NORTHWESTERN MAINLAND MEXICO SHOULD
MONITOR THE PROGRESS OF JOHN.

AT 1100 PM PDT...0600Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE JOHN WAS LOCATED
NEAR LATITUDE 23.8 NORTH...LONGITUDE 109.9 WEST. THIS POSITION
IS ABOUT 40 MILES...65 KM...SOUTHEAST OF LA PAZ MEXICO.

JOHN IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTH-NORTHWEST NEAR 10 MPH...16 KM/HR...
HOURS. ON THIS TRACK THE CENTER OF JOHN SHOULD MOVE NEAR OR ALONG
THE EAST COAST OF BAJA CALIFORNIA PENINSULA TONIGHT AND SATURDAY.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 105 MPH...165 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
SCALE. SOME WEAKENING IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

JOHN REMAINS A SMALL TROPICAL CYCLONE. HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 962 MB...28.41 INCHES.

THE HURRICANE.

SOUTHERN BAJA CALIFORNIA PENINSULA. THE WEST COAST OF CENTRAL
MEXICO COULD RECEIVE AN ADDITIONAL 3 TO 6 INCHES OF RAIN WITH
MAXIMUM STORM TOTALS OF 18 INCHES POSSIBLE. THESE RAINS COULD
CAUSE LIFE-THREATENING FLASH FLOODS AND MUD SLIDES OVER AREAS OF
MOUNTAINOUS TERRAIN.

REPEATING THE 1100 PM PDT POSITION...23.8 N...109.9 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...NORTH-NORTHWEST NEAR 10 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...105
MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...962 MB.

THE NEXT ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER AT
200 AM PDT.

Shimmer - 9-2-2006 at 12:38 AM

early mmmorning report from Todos Santos.........some/little rain and winds blowing 40-50. I can tell that the other side of the mountains are radical right now. be safe... be well.

Hurricane John Lashes Mexican Coast

BajaNews - 9-2-2006 at 12:44 AM

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=2386638

Hurricane John's Center Roars Ashore North of Los Cabos in Mexico; Glistening Resorts Spared

By MARK STEVENSON
The Associated Press

CABO SAN LUCAS, Mexico - Hurricane John roared over the sparsely populated eastern tip of the Baja California peninsula late Friday but appeared to spare the glistening resorts of Los Cabos and impoverished local residents huddled in shelters.

The Category 2 storm made landfall near the isolated hamlets of Boca de la Vinorama and Los Barriles, about 40 miles northeast of San Jose del Cabo. It was moving northwest at 10 mph.

Forecasters expected the hurricane to lash the state capital of La Paz with top sustained winds of 105 mph before weakening slightly as it crosses the narrow stretch of land and heads out to sea.

John wasn't likely to affect the United States; cooler Pacific waters tend to diminish storms before they reach California.

Luis Armando Diaz, mayor of the municipality encompassing both resorts of Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo, said: "Fortunately ... we don't have a frontal impact."

But, he added, "that doesn't remove the possibility that we could still be affected."

Some of the thousands of tourists most Americans who hadn't been able to get flights out of Los Cabos emerged from hotel shelters.

In Cabo San Lucas, a passing group of American tourists, was asked what they planned to do after the hurricane passed. "Party!" they shouted.

But there was almost nowhere to do so. While stores reopened two hours after hurricane-force winds first lashed the peninsula, most bars and restaurants remained shuttered. Some streets were flooded, but the water was no more than ankle-deep.

Locals expressed relief, though thousands who had been evacuated to shelters were discouraged from returning to their homes late Friday, as a precautionary measure.

"We thank God, because the storm didn't do us any damage," said Los Cabos resident Natividad Garcia, 67, as she waited outside a hotel for a relative to finish work.

Known for the rugged beauty of their unique desert-ocean landscapes, the two resort cities of San Jose del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas on the southern tip of the Baja peninsula are studded with high-end golf courses. The resorts are extremely popular with sports fishermen and celebrities. Rooms at some of the higher end hotels go for more than $2,000 a night.

In San Jose del Cabo, a brief bout of heavy winds toppled the signs of shops and sent metal gates flying in the air. But there were no reports of major damage.

Richard Carter, 42, of Oakland, Calif., waited out the storm in his hotel room, dismissing as needless the call for guests to move to the building's shelter.

Guadalupe Amezcua, a 50-year-old tourist from Mexico City, set up camp on one of many mattresses on the floor of a convention hall, where windowless rooms provided protection from wind.

"This is like an adventure for us, but I've learned now: Never travel during hurricane season," Amezcua said as she folded her clothes.

"We came for the sun and now look!"

Miles away from the glittering coastal hotels, 46-year-old bricklayer Francisco Casas Perez sat outside a schoolroom where he and his 14-year-old son spent the night. They were evacuated from their tin-roofed shack in Tierra y Libertad, one of the squatters camps that dot the sandy flats around Cabo San Lucas.

"We've been asking God to not let it hit too hard," he said. "We could lose all our possessions."

The Mexican Navy and police evacuated residents, sometimes forcibly, from Tierra y Libertad and other shantytowns, many of which are built next to usually dry riverbeds.

Casas Perez went voluntarily to the shelter, where people slept on thin pads stretched side-by-side over the concrete floor.

"The hurricane is no game, especially where we are surrounded by water on all sides," he said.

Olga Lidia Aguilar, 32, was evacuated from her tar-paper shack in the shantytown of Lagunita.

"We feel safer here," she said as she and her five children waited in line for free tuna salad and tortillas. "Our house could just blow away in the wind."

Up to 8,000 tourists remained in Cabo San Lucas on Friday; hundreds more foreigners are full-time residents. Most visitors are American.

The National Hurricane Center warned that John could fuel storm surges of up to 5 feet above normal tide and bring 6 to 10 inches of rain, possibly causing "life-threatening flash floods and mudslides" over mountainous areas.

Meanwhile, Tropical Storm Kristy weakened early Saturday as it churned farther out in the Pacific Ocean on Friday, with maximum sustained winds of 46 mph, and forecasters at the U.S. Hurricane Center in Miami said it could eventually be absorbed by John.

BajaNews - 9-2-2006 at 12:57 AM

3-day forecast as of 11pm Friday:

BajaNews - 9-2-2006 at 12:58 AM

Through 11pm Friday:

BajaNews - 9-2-2006 at 02:05 AM

HURRICANE JOHN ADVISORY NUMBER 20
200 AM PDT SAT SEP 02 2006

...JOHN PASSING NEAR LA PAZ...STILL A CATEGORY TWO HURRICANE...

A HURRICANE WARNING IS IN EFFECT ALONG COAST OF THE BAJA CALIFORNIA
PENINSULA FROM MULEGE SOUTHWARD ALONG THE EAST COAST...AND FROM
PUNTA ABREOJOS SOUTHWARD ALONG THE WEST COAST. PREPARATIONS TO

AT 2 AM PDT...0900 UTC...THE GOVERNMENT OF MEXICO HAS CHANGED THE
TROPICAL STORM WATCH TO A TROPICAL STORM WARNING FOR THE EAST COAST
OF THE BAJA CALIFORNIA PENINSULA NORTH OF MULEGE TO BAHIA SAN JUAN
BAUTISTA. A TROPICAL STORM WARNING MEANS THAT TROPICAL STORM
CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED WITHIN THE WARNING AREA WITHIN THE NEXT 24
HOURS.

A TROPICAL STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE WEST COAST OF THE
BAJA CALIFORNIA PENINSULA NORTH OF PUNTA ABREOJOS TO PUNTA
EUGENIA...AND FOR THE COAST OF MAINLAND MEXICO FROM ALTATA TO
GUAYMAS. A TROPICAL STORM WATCH MEANS THAT TROPICAL STORM
CONDITIONS ARE POSSIBLE WITHIN THE WATCH AREA...GENERALLY
WITHIN 36 HOURS.

OF JOHN.

AT 200 AM PDT...0900Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE JOHN WAS LOCATED
NEAR LATITUDE 24.2 NORTH...LONGITUDE 110.2 WEST OR VERY NEAR LA
PAZ MEXICO.

JOHN IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTH-NORTHWEST NEAR 9 MPH...15 KM/HR...
HOURS. ON THIS TRACK THE CENTER OF JOHN SHOULD MOVE NEAR OR ALONG
THE EAST COAST OF THE BAJA CALIFORNIA PENINSULA TODAY.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 100 MPH...160 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
SCALE. SOME WEAKENING IS FORECAST AS JOHN INTERACTS WITH LAND
DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 25 MILES...35 KM...FROM
THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 85
MILES...140 KM.

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 965 MB...28.50 INCHES.

THE HURRICANE.

SOUTHERN BAJA CALIFORNIA PENINSULA AND THE WEST COAST OF MEXICO FROM
LA CRUZ TO GUAYMAS. THESE RAINS COULD CAUSE LIFE-THREATENING FLASH
FLOODS AND MUD SLIDES OVER AREAS OF MOUNTAINOUS TERRAIN.

REPEATING THE 200 AM PDT POSITION...24.2 N...110.2 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...NORTH-NORTHWEST NEAR 9 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...100
MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...965 MB.

AN INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE
CENTER AT 500 AM PDT FOLLOWED BY THE NEXT COMPLETE ADVISORY AT 800
AM PDT.

flyfishinPam - 9-2-2006 at 02:35 AM

3:30am in Loreto and heavy rain and wind woke me up. surprised I still have a satellite signal. Power went out about an hour ago but not for long as its back up now. From the looks of the reports we may get pounded here later this morning. Rain just stopped, seems like we're gettign rain bands at this point. Looks like the eye is north of La Paz from the sat image and the storm is moving very slowly at 8 mph. Reports say it will hug the coast of the baja all day and still a category 2 with winds at 100mph. I will probably have to take down this satellite antenna above my palapa roof when we have daylight. will try to go back to sleep now.

Skeet/Loreto - 9-2-2006 at 03:45 AM

Bajablue: I too picked up the "400 Mile Road from CNN" but being an EX watcher of that Media-Blog, I considered the Source.!!

Skeet

Skeet/Loreto - 9-2-2006 at 03:50 AM

Frishe: I too share your concern as the First Place I took my new Diving Certificate and two Tanks of Air was to the Small Airstrip at Cabo Pulmo, slept in my Plane,dove at the reef, still have a Photo of a Transparent Fish taken with a regular Camera contained in aclear Plastic box.!! Did not have any regular underwater Cameras that I could afford.

Hold On Loretanos!!!

Skeet/Loreto

Russ - 9-2-2006 at 04:58 AM

From Pt. Chlvato - 3am wnd 30mph NE - 4am wnd 35mph NE Raln - 5am wnd 3mph WSW drlzzle

[Edited on 9-2-2006 by Russ]

capt. mike - 9-2-2006 at 05:03 AM

man............i wish there was still an air strip at cabo pulmo. i love diving there but what a pain in the arse to get to. was an hour boat ride getting there from rancho leonero in 1990, then a 2 hour buckin waves boat ride bACK to the resort late afternoons.

anyone know the status at Los Frailes??

Bruce R Leech - 9-2-2006 at 05:09 AM

about 1/4 inch of rain over night in Mulege:biggrin:

Bruce R Leech - 9-2-2006 at 05:14 AM

comitan are you there? what is going on down there?

Skeet/Loreto - 9-2-2006 at 05:22 AM

Capt. Mike; Pulmo in 1968 was very Different. There was an old Man with a Leaky woodin Boat, named Jose who would take you out to the Reef-Short Trip. Once was enough for Me. That was when I quit Smoking.Had been on Salems for 9 years, took off, dumped the Pack out of the side Window never to smoke again!
Dove for Several years having much trouble getting Air-Finally was able to see everything I wanted at 35 FT.

Mike it looks as if there maybe a need for some Help from you Guys in Aircraft.
Let me know if my services can be used- Speak Spanish,Know the Area and the People. Could act as Guide and Interp , I have a Diesel Truck, 18 FT Car Hauler with Sides, can come across with supplies from Guyamaus.
I will bet you that the Roads will be closed for Weeks{Hope Not}.

Skeet

Bruce R Leech - 9-2-2006 at 05:45 AM

is there any one on line from La Paz or south that can give a currant report?

Bajabus - 9-2-2006 at 06:09 AM

been trying to raise pino in vinorama and some others down in that area without luck......still no word from lou who is also close to vinorama.....same with cabo pulmo........as soon as I hear something I will post. Lou at least was sending us regular e-mails every hour or so yesterday.

Bruce R Leech - 9-2-2006 at 06:13 AM

I'm sure the power is off but some may have backup power and no telephone service. or there dishes may be gone.

bill erhardt - 9-2-2006 at 06:13 AM

7:00 a.m. in Loreto and telephone and electic service still intact. Intermittent heavy rains throughout the night. At daybreak there are gusty 15 - 20 knot winds from the NNE and thick layered clouds to the west. Except in heavy rains the outline of Carmen can be seen to the east. I have not been up to the arroyo south of town, but I imagine that it will be awhile until those of us in Colonia Zaragosa make it in to el centro.

Bajabus - 9-2-2006 at 06:25 AM

Hopefully we will hear something soon from that area. Most of our customers in that area have double redundant power systems....I suspect the dishes may be out of whack and hope it's not worse than that.

Bruce R Leech - 9-2-2006 at 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bill erhardt
7:00 a.m. in Loreto and telephone and electic service still intact. Intermittent heavy rains throughout the night. At daybreak there are gusty 15 - 20 knot winds from the NNE and thick layered clouds to the west. Except in heavy rains the outline of Carmen can be seen to the east. I have not been up to the arroyo south of town, but I imagine that it will be awhile until those of us in Colonia Zaragosa make it in to el centro.

thanks Bill you are the furthest south person I have been able to reach.

the weather here is about the same as yours but a little less breeze

John

bill erhardt - 9-2-2006 at 06:57 AM

This is looking south into an oncoming John around 7:30 this morning from the panga playa in Colonia Zaragosa (Loreto). My boats are under cover about 10 feet higher than these pangas and I am worried. I hope that the pangueros know something I dont.

Bajabus - 9-2-2006 at 07:00 AM

nice photos..thanks...check out how loaded with silt the water is from land runoff.

Been trying to ping some of our customers modems in the area without luck.

A glimpse of Carmen between squalls

bill erhardt - 9-2-2006 at 07:08 AM

I guess they will have to reschedule that dorado tournament.

Bruce R Leech - 9-2-2006 at 07:09 AM

It doesn't look good for La Paz and points south.

msawin - 9-2-2006 at 07:13 AM

Bill,
thanks for the photo. Been watching the for the latest postings from you guys [gals :"Pam"]....

~A friend of mine had left Nor.Cal this morning headed to Tripui, I warned him of the flood problems on the hiway.

Please keep us up-dated on the latest....Thanks Marty

BajaNews - 9-2-2006 at 07:25 AM

HURRICANE JOHN INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER 20A
500 AM PDT SAT SEP 02 2006

...JOHN WEAKENS BUT STILL A HURRICANE...

PUNTA ABREOJOS SOUTHWARD ALONG THE WEST COAST. PREPARATIONS TO
PROTECT LIFE AND PROPERTY SHOULD BE COMPLETED.

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE EAST COAST
HOURS.

WITHIN 36 HOURS.

OF JOHN.

AT 500 AM PDT...1200Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE JOHN WAS LOCATED
NEAR LATITUDE 24.3 NORTH...LONGITUDE 110.5 WEST OR ABOUT 10
MILES...15 KM... NORTH-NORTHWEST OF LA PAZ MEXICO.

JOHN IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTHWEST NEAR 9 MPH...15 KM/HR...
HOURS. ON THIS TRACK THE CENTER OF JOHN SHOULD MOVE NEAR OR OVER
THE EAST COAST OF THE BAJA CALIFORNIA PENINSULA TODAY.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS HAVE DECREASED TO NEAR 85 MPH...160
KM/HR...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. THESE WINDS ARE CONFINED TO A SMALL
AREA NEAR THE CENTER. JOHN IS A CATEGORY ONE HURRICANE ON THE
SAFFIR-SIMPSON SCALE. FURTHER WEAKENING IS FORECAST AS JOHN
INTERACTS WITH LAND DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 25 MILES...35 KM...FROM
THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 85
MILES...140 KM.

THE ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 975 MB...28.79 INCHES.

THE HURRICANE.

SOUTHERN BAJA CALIFORNIA PENINSULA AND THE WEST COAST OF MEXICO FROM
LA CRUZ TO GUAYMAS. THESE RAINS COULD CAUSE LIFE-THREATENING FLASH
FLOODS AND MUD SLIDES OVER AREAS OF MOUNTAINOUS TERRAIN.

REPEATING THE 500 AM PDT POSITION...24.3 N...110.5 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...NORTHWEST NEAR 9 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...85
MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...975 MB.

THE NEXT ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER AT
800 AM PDT.

Bob and jane - 9-2-2006 at 07:27 AM

Bill, and Pam The updates, and fotos are much appreciated. What is with the pangas still on the beach? As Pam says, are good friends in Loreto do wait till the last minuto. Keep us posted. --- it looks like it will be a long day.
thanks, Bob

Bajabus - 9-2-2006 at 07:28 AM

Just got this from Lou but it's time stamped 11:30PM Local from last night:

HURICAN JUAN- 9-1-06 11:30PM

DEAREST AMIGOS- HOPING ALL HAVE COME THRU THIS W/O MAJOR PROBLEMS. OUR PRAYERS ARE W/ THOSE IN THE LA VINO RAMA , BOCA DE TULE, LOS FRAILES, CABO PULMO AND LA PAZ AS THIS SYSTEM PASSES THRU.

WE EXPERIENCED 56 MPH WINDS AT 7 PM AND HAVE REC,D 3.91 INCHES RAIN. WINDS ARE STILL 25-40 MPH RANGE.

PLS LET US KNOW YOUR RAINFALL TOTALS ETC SO I CAN PASS THEM ON.

JUST LOOKED OUT SIDE AROUND THE YARD , A SCENE I,VE SEEN A FEW TIMES BEFORE VERY MESSY, BUT WE ARE THKFUL THAT EL SENOR SPARED US ANY PERSONAL INJURY AND DAMAGE [ THIS AM WE WILL DRIVING AROUND TO ASSESS DAMAGE AND REPORT BACK WHAT WE,VE SEEN.

MUCHISSIMO GRACIAS FOR ALL THOSE WHO GIVEN THEIR INPUT INTO THIS STORM. I THINK WE,VE LEARNED A FEW THINGS. IT WAS VERY FRUSTRATING YESTERDAY WAITING FOR THE STORM TO HIT MUCH EARLIER THAN IT DID.

QUE DIOS LOS BENDIGA-CUIDATE MUCHO-LOU -=-

And this is from Rick in Elias calles:

well last night it got a little worse,i would say that i probably have not seen 50 mile a hour winds,it looks like we got around 1.5 inches of rain,,, the ocean is brown and choppy, after i get the tv going later we will take a ride,,but it dosen't look like a water is coming down the arroyo which i can see from my bedroom,,,, i would say your place is perfect,, but will get there when we get out,,, so for now it all looks good,, will get back

[Edited on 2-9-2006 by Bajabus]

vgabndo - 9-2-2006 at 07:32 AM

"Funny" how hurricanes were low on my list of concerns when I fell in love with and decided to put the bulk of my extra money into a little chunk of a date orchard in an ARROYO. We've survived three so far in 13 years. This one could go either way. Kind of tough to worry about all that work from 1300 miles away.

We are sending our very best and strongest "vibes" to the wonderful people of San Nicolas. They have far more to lose than we ever will.

Good luck to all the Nomads down there. I'll be checking back as soon as I get back from my inspection today. Fingers crossed. (That'll help a lot!)

Loreto 8:30AM

tehag - 9-2-2006 at 07:32 AM

Loreto 8:30AM

Rain off and on since 3 or so AM, heavy at times. Lots of water in the streets. The arroyo north on Davis St is running hard, assume the same for the south ones. No real wind yet. John is still well south, but still an H.

Kudos to CFE; power went out twice, once for maybe an hour and once for 5 minutes. Used to take them the better part of a week.

wornout - 9-2-2006 at 07:36 AM

This was from a friend in Los Barriles at 9:48 pm last night, they are the second row of homes from the waters edge:

We are on the generator, phone lines still up. We are being pounded......very badly....catagory 2.....right on us. We have water everywhere in the house. Karen stayed at her place....it is coming apart.....roof leaking badly, windows broken...sliding glass door broken.....everything is wet at her house....Her new apt. is ruined...all the windows broke. They are scared but have a safe place. Will get over as soon as we can in the morning.

Will try to write more Saturday when we can see the damage.

bill erhardt - 9-2-2006 at 08:04 AM

Based on coordinates posted by the National Hurricane center at 0000, 0200, 0500 and 0800 this morning local time, each of which they claim accurate within 20 miles, John has turned west and is now moving inland on a course of 315 degrees, or NW. If this course remains unchanged John will continue across the peninsula and emerge into the Pacific about 40 miles north of Cabo San Lazaro. This would be nice for Loreto, but not so nice for Puerto Lopez Mateo.

ayeman - 9-2-2006 at 08:08 AM

is there any further word from the east cape/los barriles area this am ? power and phones are probably down.

BajaNews - 9-2-2006 at 08:10 AM

HURRICANE JOHN ADVISORY NUMBER 21
800 AM PDT SAT SEP 02 2006

...JOHN LASHING BAJA CALIFORNIA WITH HIGH WINDS AND HEAVY RAIN...

PUNTA ABREOJOS SOUTHWARD ALONG THE WEST COAST.

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE EAST COAST
HOURS.

WITHIN 36 HOURS.

OF JOHN.

AT 800 AM PDT...1500Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE JOHN WAS LOCATED
NEAR LATITUDE 24.5 NORTH...LONGITUDE 110.8 WEST OR ABOUT 40 MILES...
60 KM...WEST-NORTHWEST OF LA PAZ MEXICO AND ABOUT 110 MILES...175
KM...SOUTH-SOUTHEAST OF LORETO MEXICO.

JOHN IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTHWEST NEAR 9 MPH...15 KM/HR. ON THIS
TRACK THE CENTER OF JOHN SHOULD BE MOVING NEAR OR OVER THE EAST
COAST OF THE BAJA CALIFORNIA PENINSULA TODAY.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS HAVE DECREASED TO NEAR 80 MPH...130
KM/HR...WITH HIGHER GUSTS AND THESE WINDS ARE CONFINED TO A SMALL
AREA NEAR THE CENTER. JOHN IS A CATEGORY ONE HURRICANE ON THE
SAFFIR-SIMPSON SCALE. FURTHER WEAKENING IS LIKELY AS THE HURRICANE
INTERACTS WITH LAND.

JOHN IS A SMALL TROPICAL CYCLONE. HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND

THE ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 980 MB...28.94 INCHES.

COASTAL STORM SURGE FLOODING OF UP TO 3 FEET ABOVE NORMAL TIDE
THE HURRICANE.

RAINFALL TOTALS OF 6 TO 12 INCHES...WITH ISOLATED MAXIMUM STORM
TOTALS UP TO 18 INCHES...ARE POSSIBLE OVER THE CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN
BAJA PENINSULA. THE WEST COAST OF MEXICO FROM LA CRUZ TO GUAYMAS
COULD SEE 3 TO 6 INCHES OF RAIN WITH ISOLATED MAXIMUM TOTALS OF 10
INCHES. THESE AMOUNTS COULD CAUSE LIFE-THREATENING FLASH FLOODS
AND MUDSLIDES OVER MOUNTAINOUS TERRAIN.

REPEATING THE 800 AM PDT POSITION...24.5 N...110.8 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...NORTHWEST NEAR 9 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...80 MPH.
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...980 MB.

AN INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE
CENTER AT 1100 AM PDT FOLLOWED BY THE NEXT COMPLETE ADVISORY AT 200
PM PDT.

Pages:  1    3    5  6