BajaNomad

4TH ANNUAL PREZ DAY WEEKEND NOMAD RIDE

Pages:  1    3

BAJACAT - 2-17-2009 at 02:43 PM

I LIKE YOUR IDEA iDEA DAVID,

BajaWarrior - 2-17-2009 at 05:45 PM

Here goes,

We arrived at our Beach House in Playa Hermosa on Friday at about 6 p.m. Guest's started to arrive around noon on Saturday. That would be SquareCircle and Blanche plus thier friends Richard, Jerry, and Brock. Also, Nomad XRPlang (Phil) arrived later in the afternoon. We also had a drop in visit by N2Baja (Melanie) later that night.

We had our Beach house all ready for the Potluck which would be Saturday night. BajaRob got some of our other neighbors involved on the ride for Sunday but they also came for dinner. We had about 30+ people for dinner. Two BBQ's going, and everyone brought a side dish. Great evening!

Thanks to everyone that attended dinner and thankyou for all of the compliments regarding our new home behind the original home above the garage. (It's finally finished)

Believe it our not everyone was in bed by 9:00 p.m. as we all had a busy day. We provided a room with comfy beds for all of our guests.

6 a.m. came with the aroma of coffee as I brewed 4 pots of coffee and delivered it to our guests. We had some leftovers from the night before and we were ready to hit the road. BajaRob and the other trail riders were already to go staged on our property so we were able to hit the road by 7:30.

I led the group and BajaRob played pickup at the end of the pack to make sure all was well. We communicated each turn of the ride and Rob would report as to everyone making each intersection of the trailride using our VHF radios. We traveled north 6 miles to Ranco Percebu where we turned west for the beginning ouf our trip. We took our first break around 9:00 and got rolling after a half hour. We traveled to the Chanate Wash which led us to Quartz Mountain where we would be meeting BajaLou plus other Nomads. Lou had a fire going so we could all warm up and about half the group climbed the "mountain" and got some spectacular photos of Picacho del Diablo (over 10,000' high) which the canyon "El Cajon" would be our destination.

I led the group down the mountain to East Valley road where we traveled a few miles to our cutoff past the Rehab Center that would take us West dircectly to the base of the mountain. Keep in mind we were now 15 vehicles strong so we looked like a long train traveling through the desert.
At this point BajaLou took the back of the line making sure we were all accounted for. We arrived at Canon el Cajon just as another group were planning on leaving. They were from UC Davis both students and teachers and gave us some good tips about what we would encounter. We all took lunch and split into groups exploring the canyon. The groups that went the farthest got photos of the waterfalls and the petroglyphs. XRPlang (Phil) has some great photos but he wont be back out of Baja until this weekend.

We had a very nice afternoon there at El Cajon and proceeded east towards East Valley Road again passing through two Ranchos and encountering two Burros that did not want to leave their position on the road, I had to give them just a little nudge with the truck but everyone behind me got an up close look at them.

BajaLou's group split off at El Dorado property and the rest of us went on to Jollymon which is a Bar/Restaraunt and had a c-cktail before stopping off at El General for a taco dinner. Thankyou Roy for buying our dinner, that was very nice of you...

We got back to the Beach House, had a beer or two, swapped some stories, and headed to bed. Morning came too early again but the coffee helped as we watched the sunrise from the front patio and munched on some pastries and left over brownies from the day before. Around 9 our guest said their goodbyes and we packed up and hit the road by noon.

It rained all the way to El Cajon (San Diego) starting at Mexicali. Still a great trip...See what you guys missed?

Chuck and Chris

(photos are coming, hang on...)

[Edited on 2-18-2009 by BajaWarrior]

BAJACAT - 2-17-2009 at 11:00 PM

CHUCK YOU ARE KILLING MEEE:no:,PLEASE GIME SOME PICTURES

BajaWarrior - 2-18-2009 at 05:41 AM

9 Trucks all lined up, 9:00 a.m. just west of Percebu Road where we entered the Chanate Wash.

87rTruckLineup.JPG - 49kB

BajaWarrior - 2-18-2009 at 05:42 AM

Our view of Quartz Mountain as we arrived. BajaLou's group from El Dorado had been there for 30 minutes allready.

88rQuartzMtn.JPG - 41kB

BajaWarrior - 2-18-2009 at 05:48 AM

View of all of the Trucks from Quartz Mountain

90rViewQMtn.JPG - 45kB

BajaWarrior - 2-18-2009 at 05:51 AM

This is the view from atop Quartz Mountain looking west to Picacho del Diablo which is over 10,000 high. Once we were closer to it we could see plenty of snow in the upper elevactions.

93rViewPicachoDiablo.JPG - 23kB

BajaWarrior - 2-18-2009 at 05:53 AM

Some of us up on the Mountain.

More to follow at the end of my work day.

94rGangOnQMtin.JPG - 36kB

bajalou - 2-18-2009 at 07:46 AM

Great pics, thanks for posting - I never remember to take pictures anymore?

David K - 2-18-2009 at 11:35 AM

FANTASTIC Chuck... Thanks!!!

BajaWarrior - 2-18-2009 at 06:04 PM

The head of the trail made an excellant spot for lunch, BajaRob brought a BBQ and cooked up his lunch!

99rLunchSpot.JPG - 49kB

BajaWarrior - 2-18-2009 at 06:07 PM

There was plenty of water this time of year, and yes, our well behaved dogs go everywhere with us.

96rChrisAndDogs.JPG - 49kB

BajaWarrior - 2-18-2009 at 06:12 PM

BajaLou knows this entire desert region like the back of his hand and was drawing maps in the dirt and giving some of the group a History lesson on the area.

That is all I have for now. I'm expecting some other photos from one of my neighbors in Santa Maria and will post them as soon as I get them...

[Edited on 2-19-2009 by BajaWarrior]

98rBajaLouSchoolingUs.JPG - 45kB

BajaWarrior - 2-18-2009 at 06:20 PM

One more.

That is XRPlang on the two wheeler. In additon to the 15 vehicles that made the journey we had one MC rider. He stopped to take a photo of the Burros as they were blocking the road anyway.

Phil, it was a pleasure meeting you, your welcome to hold up at our place anytime...

[Edited on 2-20-2009 by BajaWarrior]

00rXRPlangAndBurros.JPG - 44kB

Thanks Chuck,

BajaRob - 2-19-2009 at 07:00 AM

great pics of a very enjoyable day. Good on ya. Suzi Q will download and forward her pics if able from here.

The squarecircle - 2-19-2009 at 01:38 PM

Greetings BajaWarrior & Family;

Thank you very much for the great weekend of legendary hospitality and excitement. Blanche, Geri, Richard, Brock and I truly enjoyed the chance to get out there and see Baja away from the population centers. We stayed Monday night on 'Shell Island' with the exception of Brock (too much wind) and Tuesday headed back home through Ensenada and Tecate. On the way we did some off-roading to check some locked gates and check out some view spots. Border wait was short with only two cars in front of me.

Best Regards, sq.

BajaWarrior - 2-19-2009 at 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The squarecircle
Greetings BajaWarrior & Family;

Thank you very much for the great weekend of legendary hospitality and excitement. Blanche, Geri, Richard, Brock and I truly enjoyed the chance to get out there and see Baja away from the population centers. We stayed Monday night on 'Shell Island' with the exception of Brock (too much wind) and Tuesday headed back home through Ensenada and Tecate. On the way we did some off-roading to check some locked gates and check out some view spots. Border wait was short with only two cars in front of me.

Best Regards, sq.

Roy, you and your group are always welcome, especailly Blanche! Chris thanks her for all the help on Saturday night.

Let us know when your in the area again, we just might be there that weekend...

The BajaWarrior Family

David K - 2-19-2009 at 05:46 PM

The squarecircle and Blanche go everywhere in Baja! Toyota or Land Rover, it doesn't matter!

Hope to hear from El Camote and others who enjoyed the weekend!!!

MSM07 089r.JPG - 46kB

XRPhlang - 2-20-2009 at 02:29 PM

Hola Nomads. I got back from my ride to Calamuje, Yubay and BOLA on Tuesday night and back home late Wed. night. I figure a 5 day dose of Baja should be good for a couple of months at least.

It was great meeting you all this weekend. I had a wonderful time at the pot luck, then the ride the next day and after. Thank you for making me feel so welcome. Special thanks to Baja Warrior (and Warrioress) for your hospitality and trip organizing. I hope to make a habit of meeting Nomads. You're all great!

This is the first time using this photo site, so I hope it works. I think you have to click on each picture to see description.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xrphlang/sets/72157614116578031

David K - 2-20-2009 at 03:28 PM

Thank you for the photos... look great! I like the one of the mama burro checking you out!

Do you have any photos from CALAMAJUE or other parts of your ride?

[Edited on 2-20-2009 by David K]

...well since you asked.

XRPhlang - 2-20-2009 at 04:37 PM

Quote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xrphlang/sets/72157614167517144
This post does not constitute a hijack because when I went through Calamajue it was Monday, Presidents day.

David K - 2-20-2009 at 04:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by XRPhlang

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xrphlang/sets/72157614167517144
This post does not constitute a hijack because when I went through Calamajue it was Monday, Presidents day.

Thank you! However, you could start a new thread about your trip in the Trip Reports forum for your photos and story... pretty please! If you do start your own trip thread... I will move these comments to it...

Awesome experience... good on you for finding the mission... you were correct about what you saw. The rock remains there are corrals built after the mission period by miners.

Yubay is sure low!

See it overflowing (in Feb. 2003):

http://vivabaja.com/neal2

Many thanks XR!

BajaWarrior - 2-20-2009 at 06:42 PM

Awesome trip report Phil, don't go changing!

See ya in Baja sometime!

BAJACAT - 2-20-2009 at 11:40 PM

tHANKS EVERYBODY FOR THE PIX,I knew I was going to miss in a whole lot :( , Chuck So you guys didn't when to El Parral or Agua Caliente Canyons?.

BajaWarrior - 2-21-2009 at 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
tHANKS EVERYBODY FOR THE PIX,I knew I was going to miss in a whole lot :( , Chuck So you guys didn't when to El Parral or Agua Caliente Canyons?.

No, didnt get over there. Turns out they are milagae wise a lot further to the south plus weather was a factor. We got lucky with only very overcast skies and no rain. BajaRob and I had gotten a little rain the week before.

Still a possibility though for another time. I think we'll check it out this or next year for a possible trail ride.

David K - 2-21-2009 at 07:58 AM

More direct may be to use the short cut ('Azufre Wash', 'Crazy Horse Canyon', 'Caņada el Parral')... makes a nice ride to the lower Valle Chico...

BajaWarrior - 2-21-2009 at 08:29 AM

Yes, that's true David. It would be an easier route to the that area. The route we took to Quartz Mountain was a great trip, very nice wash to travel in...

We'll see what happens next year. Although, the Mrs. and I are going to do a trip up the Huatamote this spring and check it out as well for a future ride.

David K - 2-21-2009 at 09:11 AM

Your trip was great Chuck! No need to go to Matomi or same places each time... Thumb through Bruce Barber's book to pick some interesting places to visit!

So, any opportunity to show the video of the first trip? We will be in San Diego later... shall we come by to pick it up?

BajaWarrior - 2-21-2009 at 09:55 AM

I shared the video with only a couple of members of the trip, mostly my neighbors. We got pretty busy with almost 40 guests for the Saturday night potluck. BTW, BajaLou had the DVD version of it...

We're in an out today but I can put it on top of the "wood fence" if your coming by? Thanks for the loan, we really enjoyed it, as did BajaRob because I loaned it to him as well.

BW

Ken Cooke - 2-21-2009 at 10:33 AM

Looks like you guys had a great time out in the desert. I'm back from visiting in Colombia where I had a good time as well. Too bad these weekends go by so fast.

David K - 2-21-2009 at 10:40 AM

Just chillin' with the homies, Ken???:?::O

Ken Cooke - 2-21-2009 at 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Just chillin' with the homies, Ken???:?::O

In Tijuana, you pay a few dollars to get your picture taken with a burro painted to resemble a zebra. In Colombia, you pay a few dollars (literally) and get your picture taken with homeless kids dressed as Political rebels/Jungle warriors. Pretty cool.

David K - 2-21-2009 at 10:59 AM

Yes that IS pretty cool... South American humor!!!

Ken Cooke - 2-21-2009 at 11:08 AM

Quote:
Yes that IS pretty cool... South American humor!!!

In March, however, FARC are planning a massive terrorism campaign throughout the country and cities of Colombia, so, its' a good thing I won't be there next month. This is what the real warriors look like - and they're no joke. :o:O

XRPhlang - 2-21-2009 at 12:45 PM

W-T-FARC

BajaWarrior - 2-21-2009 at 03:27 PM

Quote:
W-T-FARC

I think I smell a hijack by some non-attending Nomads...

did someone say, "hijack?"

woody with a view - 2-21-2009 at 03:32 PM

"Yubay is sure low!"

al gore has a term for that!

Lo siento, amigo

Ken Cooke - 2-21-2009 at 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
Quote:
W-T-FARC

I think I smell a hijack by some non-attending Nomads...

Sorry, Baja Warrior. :saint:

BajaWarrior - 2-21-2009 at 07:14 PM

Accepted Ken, see you in Baja sometime...

Ken Cooke - 2-22-2009 at 09:42 AM

Quote:
Accepted Ken, see you in Baja sometime...

I'm setting up another historical Baja Pole Line Road 4WD run in April. See you there! :bounce:

BajaWarrior - 2-22-2009 at 10:25 AM

Self Hijack:

Here's the dilemna Ken, I have a perfectly good '05 F150 4x4 that is dead stock. I have left it that way because I drive my Dad around from time to time otherwise I would do at least a front leveling kit and some 315's all the way around.

My '88 Toyota (which I used last weekend on the Prez. Day Wknd) is no longer street legal plus it's just old and not up for that kind of challenge...

That's a serious off road event you have there, I've watched your previous trips, it looks like a lot of fun.

[Edited on 2-22-2009 by BajaWarrior]

r.F150.JPG - 26kB

Ken Cooke - 2-22-2009 at 10:39 AM

Quote:
Self Hijack:

Here's the dilemna Ken, I have a perfectly good '05 F150 4x4 that is dead stock.

We took a 6" lifted Chevy IFS pickup on the run, and the breakover angle was so poor, we destroyed the lower rockers/doors on the truck, and Victors steering kept working loose. Most Baja trips are bumpy dirt roads with potholes, but this involves some moderate-level Jeeping. Not the place for a flatland pickup truck.

BajaWarrior - 2-22-2009 at 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:
Self Hijack:

Here's the dilemna Ken, I have a perfectly good '05 F150 4x4 that is dead stock.

We took a 6" lifted Chevy IFS pickup on the run, and the breakover angle was so poor, we destroyed the lower rockers/doors on the truck, and Victors steering kept working loose. Most Baja trips are bumpy dirt roads with potholes, but this involves some moderate-level Jeeping. Not the place for a flatland pickup truck.

Copy that, the F150 is just my grocery getter' for around San Diego.

BAJACAT - 2-22-2009 at 08:59 PM

sO CHUCK what ever happen to the petroglyphs.did you guys have the pictures?..

BajaWarrior - 2-22-2009 at 09:53 PM

Quote:

Yes, in fact (Phil) XRPlang posted them. Go to page 11 and go to the link on his post at the 2nd to last post at the bottom.

David K - 2-22-2009 at 10:11 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, in fact (Phil) XRPlang posted them. Go to page 11 and go to the link on his post at the 2nd to last post at the bottom.

The page number may be different based on your settings... for me it is on page 8, the one before this one.

Jose, it is right above the photo of the burro... and here is the link to XR's photo album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/xrphlang/sets/72157614116578031

BajaWarrior - 2-22-2009 at 10:43 PM

Thanks for that link David, I didn't know we weren't all on the same page (#)!

David K - 2-23-2009 at 11:48 AM

Quote:
Thanks for that link David, I didn't know we weren't all on the same page (#)!

Sure thing!

At the top of the Nomad page, click on Control Panel/ Options (in blue) next to the u2u link, the click: Edit Profile... In there you can set the number of posts per page you want to see on your screen!

Topics Per Page:
Posts Per Page:

Mine is set to 30.

[Edited on 2-23-2009 by David K]

BAJACAT - 2-23-2009 at 09:19 PM

Im set in 30 port to Dk thanks, for the tip.
BW- I found the pix , but where are located?.

BajaWarrior - 2-24-2009 at 04:23 PM

Quote:
Im set in 30 port to Dk thanks, for the tip.
BW- I found the pix , but where are located?.

Right about a mile up the trail from where we parked...

BAJACAT - 2-24-2009 at 06:21 PM

THANKS CHUCK..

BAJACAT - 12-22-2010 at 01:28 PM

BUMP, MAYBE a good idea for 2011

David K - 12-22-2010 at 03:29 PM

Maybe.. but I need a job (or several) to go anywhere!

Neal Johns - 12-22-2010 at 08:41 PM

What's a "job"?

Retarded for 21 years! je je je!

David K - 12-22-2010 at 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Neal Johns
What's a "job"?

Retarded for 21 years! je je je!

Good to see you post! The news said that canyon you live in had an overflowing river for a creek and all you folks were evacuated!:o

Merry Christmas Neal and Marian!!!:bounce:

BAJACAT - 12-23-2010 at 09:51 PM

Quote:
Maybe.. but I need a job (or several) to go anywhere!
I DK,this week I only work one day, that rain it's no good for my type of work..

Neal, one day I will be retarded like you...:lol::lol:

[Edited on 12-24-2010 by BAJACAT]

BAJACAT - 12-23-2010 at 10:06 PM

Hey where's Chuck Bajawarrior...:?:

David K - 12-23-2010 at 11:55 PM

Quote:

Already down south...

BAJACAT - 12-24-2010 at 10:09 AM

Hes a lucky man....if I could only win the lotto, nah that only happens to people that already has money, plus you have to buy tickets...:tumble:

BajaWarrior - 12-24-2010 at 02:27 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Already down south...

I'm right here. Got in last night after 7 days south. Christmas with wife's Family tonight, my Family tomorrow then back to Baja for 9 days on Sunday morning!

Man we had good weather, unseasonably warm for December. Had to wait until it dropped below 70 degrees at the end of our trip until we could fire up the wood burning stove. Warm wind out of the south all week including Monday/Tuesday when we got trace rain and no sun.

So what's the plan for President's Day Weekend? I'm ready.

[Edited on 12-24-2010 by BajaWarrior]

BAJACAT - 12-25-2010 at 02:01 PM

The Matomi run(the ranch) was pretty fun I would like to do that one again.. merry belated xmas chuck..and family...

BajaWarrior - 12-25-2010 at 04:34 PM

Quote:
The Matomi run(the ranch) was pretty fun I would like to do that one again.. merry belated xmas chuck..and family...

Thank you Jose!

And a Merry Christmas to you and your Family as well.

I could do Matomi Ranch no problem as it is a lot of fun. Didn't someone report that one of the Arroyos had created a problem to continue on trail? Anyone? Like the one very near the Rancho itself?

bajalou - 12-25-2010 at 06:00 PM

I heard that too, Chuck, but haven't taken time to check it out. These short days kind of interfere with long desert runs.

BajaWarrior - 12-25-2010 at 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
I heard that too, Chuck, but haven't taken time to check it out. These short days kind of interfere with long desert runs.

We're heading down tomorrow morning for 9 days. We're going to do a Gonzaga Bay Run but might find time to explore Matomi as well.

BAJACAT - 12-26-2010 at 10:37 PM

Thanks Chuck, keep us posted, Im looking foward to go to SF.. again..

Bajalou, I hope we can see you again,,

David K - 12-27-2010 at 10:01 AM

I wanna go!!

Won't somebody give me a job??? :rolleyes:

BAJACAT - 12-28-2010 at 08:25 PM

David, I always wonder if someday I will do a Baja ride with you...
that is in my to do list, also I wouldn't mind do one with Ken Cooke... alot interesting people here in BN

BAJACAT - 1-10-2011 at 09:06 PM

Ok PRESIDENTS DAY is comming quick, so lets see who wants to do this again, last year was cancel because we where doing the Santa Maria de los Angeles mission run, that got cancel and got re-schechuled to a latter date and the rest is history, if you don't belived me ask Neal... that was far the most epic nomad ride.To bad I miss it due to work.. but not this year.
I was thinking maybe El Berrendo canyon I have never been there, this would be the 5th Annual Presidents Day Nomad trail ride.
All San Felipe Nomads lets hear what you think. Bajalou, bajaRob, Bajawarrior.

I will make a separated thread if I see any interest in doing this. Regarless if this happens or not , Im still going to San felipe for Presidents day...

Berrendo Canyon: Home of Baja's Blue Palms

David K - 1-11-2011 at 12:07 AM

On New Years 2006, we camped one night on Shell Island, then went to Bahia Santa Maria and visited with BajaRob and Connie, then went to the Sulfur Mine, then through Caņada el Parral (Azufre Wash) to Valle Chico and into Berrendo Canyon... The weekend photos are here: http://vivabaja.com/106/

Some Berrendo Canyon photos:

El Berrendo is the third major canyon from the south. The southernmost San Pedro Martir eastside canyon is El Matomi, then El Parral, then El Berrendo (Verrendo od some maps).

surfer jim - 1-11-2011 at 10:08 AM

I'm watching you guys to see what's up...:rolleyes:

What weekend would this be?

David K - 1-11-2011 at 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jim
I'm watching you guys to see what's up...:rolleyes:

What weekend would this be?

You were there in 2004!

President's Day Weekend, amigo!

bajalou - 1-11-2011 at 11:33 AM

Feb 19-20-21, 2011

Neal Johns - 1-11-2011 at 05:17 PM

Get Ken Cooke to take you over the Pole Line Road, good trip, good guide, good guy.

BajaWarrior - 1-11-2011 at 07:27 PM

I'm ready and hosting for San Felipe South. Lou's ready...

Where we going? Alfonsina's for lunch? Drop off goods to Coco? Matomi? Berrendo?

BAJACAT - 1-11-2011 at 07:35 PM

Alfonsinas would be nice, now that some of the road is pave, I was thinking Maybe El Berrendo ,maybe Agua Caliente, don't know the condition of the Matomi rd due to past rains..Nomads in San Felipe have a better idea of what is available as far as access to some of this areas...So should I make a separate thread.?

surfer jim - 1-11-2011 at 10:24 PM

Yes, time for new thread.

TMW - 1-12-2011 at 09:26 AM

Yes make a new thread. I'm in for the trip no matter what days. I'm retired and everyday is like Saturday.

David K - 1-12-2011 at 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Yes make a new thread. I'm in for the trip no matter what days. I'm retired and everyday is like Saturday.

Lucky dog!;)

BAJACAT - 1-12-2011 at 11:42 PM

GUYS check the new thread about the trip...for you motorcycle guys I can carry the fuel for you...atv's ,motorcycles, bugys, all are welcome, if you have a horse it better be a fast one:biggrin:
 Pages:  1    3