BajaNomad

What Is West Baja walk

Pages:  1    3    5  ..  9

DENNIS - 2-14-2013 at 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
I'll let you decide if it's closer to 2mi or 2km... :?:

We'll have to wait for some identifiable landforms like taquerias and cantinas.

Map scale

EnsenadaDr - 2-14-2013 at 03:34 PM

If you go to Whatiswest.com, and where are we, (I just did it and it works), the map says 20 mi/20 km as it does on this board, which obviously is wrong). However, when you click on the map (you can't do that on the Nomad board), it shows a relative scale to the magnification of the area, right now the one I am looking at says 20 mi=50 km and gives you the line that measures both. I would take a ruler Dennis, measure that line and then you can calculate how many inches/cm per km or mile. I would get on your new laptop if your old computer can't open up the site. The ping maps here aren't accurate as you can't get a relative measurement to the map you are looking at.
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
I wonder what the mileage scale is on that map? How many inches, or whatever, to the mile?

Cypress - 2-14-2013 at 03:46 PM

Best? Favorite? The walk up north of the Rio Mulege past the old landing strip, back thru the boonies and along the SOC is/was my favorite. :)

DENNIS - 2-14-2013 at 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
right now the one I am looking at says 20 mi=50 km and gives you the line that measures both. I would take a ruler Dennis, measure that line and then you can calculate how many inches/cm per km or mile.

50 KM is very close to 30 miles....not 20 so I think i'll just forget the whole thing. Thanks anyway.

DENNIS - 2-14-2013 at 03:56 PM

Quote:
If you go to Whatiswest.com, and where are we, (I just did it and it works),

I just tried again and nothing new. I get the four foto slide show and that's it.
I click on the Compass Rose or "MENU" and get nothing.

EnsenadaDr - 2-14-2013 at 03:58 PM

dennis get motivated and take out your new laptop. Like someone mentioned the old computers don't work well with Google Chrome. Load Google chrome into your laptop and then try...
Quote:
Quote:

I just tried again and nothing new. I get the four foto slide show and that's it.

mtgoat666 - 2-14-2013 at 04:52 PM

Quote:
Quote:

their website is quite slow to load here in USA, so perhaps in mexico download speed is even slower. the scale bar you do see on their website map is garbage, miles always equals kilometers.
perhaps they need to tune up and fix their website,...

or you can just wait for the movie.

EnsenadaDr - 2-14-2013 at 05:00 PM

Goat I have no problem loading that website. Also once you click on the map and change the zoom, the miles vs. kilometers becomes accurate.
Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Quote:

their website is quite slow to load here in USA, so perhaps in mexico download speed is even slower. the scale bar you do see on their website map is garbage, miles always equals kilometers.

DENNIS - 2-14-2013 at 05:16 PM

........................................................I'm Happy.............................................

mtgoat666 - 2-14-2013 at 05:17 PM

Quote:
Goat I have no problem loading that website. Also once you click on the map and change the zoom, the miles vs. kilometers becomes accurate.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

well, then it's a buggy website - works in some browsers/OSs, doesn't work in others.

for me, slow download speed, and incorrect/illogical map scale.

David K - 2-14-2013 at 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGeoff
The walk map from yesterday and a little bit of today...

Does this help see the overall area?
See Punta Cabras? (their last spot was just north)
See San Juan de las Pulgas (now the Danish cult compound)? See the road going from Santo Tomas up and over the hill to Rancho El Chocolate and Rancho San Jose?
That's their route!

This is a 39 year old map, but was the last good detailed one of northern Baja, from the Auto Club of So. Cal (1974).

[Edited on 2-15-2013 by David K]

Ateo - 2-14-2013 at 07:50 PM

They are just about on the northern end of Bahia Almejas. One of my old camp spots. I had my bachelor party on the cliff there.

Ateo - 2-14-2013 at 07:53 PM

Map functionality rules for me. MacBook Pro and cable internet connection. :wow::wow:

BajaGeoff - 2-15-2013 at 10:13 AM

Thanks for the detailed map DK! Here is yesterday....just two pings from the start and finish of the walk. They are now south of Erendira.

EnsenadaDr - 2-15-2013 at 10:14 AM

Did they see or pass the Danish Compound?

BajaGeoff - 2-15-2013 at 11:50 AM

Here is a recent update from the dudes:

"Sleeping in the caldera of a volcano on the beach. Back to the basics. Our stomachs are powerhouses. Quads and glutes catching up. Every night we hit the sack like nothing else matters. Sleeping for 10-11 hrs and getting up before sunrise. Waves heavy. Coastline looks like big sur. We snuck past the Danish compound. Getting ready to see less and less people. 'Burban boys hit the wilderness"

BajaNomad - 2-15-2013 at 10:15 PM

----
"Tonight we rest our heads in a cow pasture near Punta Colonet. We're just a few miles away from #CuatroCasas. Last night we slept in the Frailes caldera (crater) - an old volcano south of the little town of Erendira. Sorry for the gap in updates. Been off the grid for almost a week now ducking under barbed wire fences of cattle ranches and walking along beautiful green bluffs pounded by pacific swell. Reminds us of our bike ride this time last year through central California. Stopped at sunset tonight and snapped this photo as we rested and ate the two snickers bars we've been saving from the last town. Walked 18 miles today and only came across 1 local as he tended to his 209 year old rancho. Feeling the burn. Glad to be back in the sack. Surf tomorrow? I hope . Happy belated V Day!"
----

BajaGeoff - 2-16-2013 at 12:45 AM

Such a great photo!

David K - 2-16-2013 at 12:53 PM

I saw it on Facebook last night... great indeed...

DENNIS - 2-17-2013 at 08:32 AM

What's new? Anything?

mtgoat666 - 2-17-2013 at 09:18 AM

Quote:
What's new? Anything?

not much. how about you?

good day for yard work, before rain comes on tuesday.

BajaNomad - 2-17-2013 at 09:26 AM

Quote:
What's new? Anything?

This was posted last night and referred to yesterday morning:

----
We woke this morning among cattle and headed for Cuatro Casas. Crisp morning air is always best for walking but today it was sunny and sweaty by 9am. We rested and wasted 3-days budget on a pricey lunch at the only accommodation on the Cuatro Casas point. We made sure to get our money's worth - before we ate we washed our week-old clothes in the tide pools and dried them in the sun while we ate. We packed up and headed to the next surf break. As we neared, a man on a bicycle trailed by 5 dogs came up from behind us and yelled out, "Tienen problemas con carro?" No, we didn't have car troubles. He insisted we stay with his brother when hearing about our journey. We followed him and his 5 dogs to his brothers casita. He welcomed us to camp on his property. We chatted for a bit and wandered off to the coast to snap this photo of the famous surf break #shipwrecks. Not much swell in the water.
----

http://www.facebook.com/WHATISWEST

[Edited on 2-17-2013 by BajaNomad]

BajaNomad - 2-17-2013 at 09:36 AM

Their latest spot track from 7:42 am this morning shows them on the move and nearing Camalu.

http://www.whatiswest.com/where-are-we/

EnsenadaDr - 2-17-2013 at 10:59 PM

The last two pictures they took are amazing looking...are they using special lenses to get those colors? I am following them on Facebook as well. Can Geoff post the baby cow? The guys were right, it looked like a dog!!

[Edited on 2-18-2013 by EnsenadaDr]

woody with a view - 2-18-2013 at 10:13 AM

Quote:

[Edited on 2-17-2013 by BajaNomad]

i remember when the Isla del Carmen first arrived....

[Edited on 2-18-2013 by woody with a view]

BajaGeoff - 2-18-2013 at 11:01 AM

Hey Nomads....

Down in Baja this week and finally have wifi to make some updates. We passed through Camalu yesterday and had a chance to meet up with the guys at the Pirate's Cove restaurant. They are having a great time and enjoying meeting people as they journey south.

Here is the map from day 14, which took them from the volcano south of Erendira to just north of Colonet:

Day 15....Colonet down to Punta San Jacinto:

Yesterday.....day 16....Punta San Jacinto to the area just north of Vicente Guerrero. They are really cruisin'!

[Edited on 2-18-2013 by BajaGeoff]

DianaT - 2-18-2013 at 11:34 AM

They had breakfast this morning at my sister's house near Vicente Guerrero. They could have stayed there last night, but they were already camped when they received our messages.

They sure are moving quickly!

BajaNomad - 2-18-2013 at 01:00 PM

Quote:
The last two pictures they took are amazing looking...are they using special lenses to get those colors?

Instagram app...

http://instagram.com/whatiswest

DENNIS - 2-18-2013 at 01:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:
The last two pictures they took are amazing looking...are they using special lenses to get those colors?

Instagram app...

THe results have an overdone HDR [High Dynamic range] effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instagram

http://instagram.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging

http://www.stuckincustoms.com/hdr-tutorial/

mtgoat666 - 2-18-2013 at 02:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Instagram app...

THe results have an overdone HDR [High Dynamic range] effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instagram

http://instagram.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging

http://www.stuckincustoms.com/hdr-tutorial/

digital filters have various names. faux film retro-ism, antiquing, irony filters, hipster filters, etc.

i like the effect for landscape. for personal family snapshots, i find the faux antiquing effects to make depressing pictures.

dennis, they may be doing HDR, but i think effect is from filters -- there are a couple nice HDR apps for iphone, cost is $5 for the better ones, and output is often quite good.

I love this baby cow!!

EnsenadaDr - 2-18-2013 at 02:42 PM

The boys said this baby cow was following them...and looked more like a dog...how cute!! I asked someone to post this pic, hope they don't mind I took the liberty..how cute is this?

whatiswest - 2-18-2013 at 09:19 PM

We're loving the trip so far! Thanks again to all the nomads we've met along the way. We've exchanged some great stories. Hope to continue to meet more of ya as we go down.

We're now outside of San Quintin. We were just going to blow past it but if anyone has any suggestions we're open to exploring something interesting locally.

BajaGeoff - 2-19-2013 at 10:06 PM

Hey Nomads,

Here is the map from yesterday....Vicente Guerrero to the area just north of San Quintin...

DENNIS - 2-21-2013 at 08:18 AM

bump

2-21-13 Near El Rosario Mesa

David K - 2-21-2013 at 04:37 PM

I think Geoff is away, so I took a look at the guys' location... they were near the road to La Lobera and walking up the El Rosario mesa...

DianaT - 2-21-2013 at 06:33 PM

I heard from my sister near Vicente Guerrero and she said they are really nice guys and very, very interesting. She really enjoyed their company.

A bit off-topic, but when my sister was telling a friend who lives near her about these guys, her friend told her that she not too long ago met two young women walking in Baja and who plan on walking to the tip of South America! Just wondered if anyone knows anything about them?

BajaGeoff - 2-22-2013 at 10:39 AM

Thanks for the update DK! Down in Bahia de los Angeles at the moment and internet has been spotty. We hope to see the guys tomorrow near El Rosario as we start to head north.

@DianaT....I have not heard of those guys but that would be an amazing trip! I wonder if they started in Baja or ???

David K - 2-22-2013 at 11:01 AM

Just checked the web site now, and the map hasn't changed much since yesterday... still outside of El Rosario...

BajaGeoff - 2-22-2013 at 04:17 PM

I forgot to post this photo from last Saturday...on our way south we brought the guys some reinforcements in the way of ice cream, frozen Snickers bars and crunchy peanut butter...

BajaGringo - 2-22-2013 at 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whatiswest
We're loving the trip so far! Thanks again to all the nomads we've met along the way. We've exchanged some great stories. Hope to continue to meet more of ya as we go down.

We're now outside of San Quintin. We were just going to blow past it but if anyone has any suggestions we're open to exploring something interesting locally.

Just now caught up to this thread and wish I had seen it sooner. If you guys hadn't just "blown by" we would have loved to have hosted a mariscos feast for you out here on the beach at La Chorera, just south of where you turned east towards town and the highway. You missed a couple of good surf breaks as well. Maybe next time.

Have fun and be safe...

EnsenadaDr - 2-22-2013 at 05:04 PM

Wow, Ron, they were in your neck of the woods...you mean to tell me you haven't been on Nomads this long? Hey guys, looks like you are enjoying your goodies....had my 4 mile walk around Keaukaha Beachfront yesterday, felt good but I was bushed, the sun was pretty strong midday. Walking is the best though, will like to get on a serious hike after my studying is over...I'll be back down to Baja in a few weeks, until then, Aloha and A hui hou...will send you guys snacks as soon as I get back.

David K - 2-22-2013 at 05:07 PM

Just looked (4pm Friday), and no new Spot data since yesterday morning... near the mesa of El Rosario?

MikeYounghusband - 2-22-2013 at 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
Quote:
Originally posted by whatiswest

Just now caught up to this thread and wish I had seen it sooner. If you guys hadn't just "blown by" we would have loved to have hosted a mariscos feast for you out here on the beach at La Chorera, just south of where you turned east towards town and the highway. You missed a couple of good surf breaks as well. Maybe next time.

Have fun and be safe...

He's good for a bottle of whiskey too. Yum

DianaT - 2-22-2013 at 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGeoff

@DianaT....I have not heard of those guys but that would be an amazing trip! I wonder if they started in Baja or ???

I will see if I can get some more information about these two women --- it would be great to follow them.

BajaGeoff - 2-22-2013 at 11:27 PM

Sorry Diana! I totally mis-read that it is two women walking down to South America...let me know if you find out more info!

BajaNomad - 2-23-2013 at 09:56 AM

"Desalination pump, stove (burns unleaded gasoline), dog skull, hand line for fishing, peanut butter, jelly, instant coffee, water sack, butter, beans, bananas, granola - Let's hit the * Sisters!"

[Edited on 2-23-2013 by BajaNomad]

Ateo - 2-23-2013 at 10:44 AM

Yeah, this next leg thru this area will be interesting. I don't think we'll be getting many updates for a while.

David K - 2-23-2013 at 01:41 PM

Just checked, and their SPOT link is down... Once I see a new location, I will post it, unless Geoff beats me to it! :yes:

Curt63 - 2-23-2013 at 06:36 PM

I don't know if this has been posted already, but they are going to walk the coastline from Punta Baja down through the sisters.

At least their not draggin Don Kay.

I hope they researched their route.

DENNIS - 2-23-2013 at 07:47 PM

Quote:
"dog skull,"

This has been renamed, "The Voodoo Voyage."
They need some chicken bones as well. :)

BajaGeoff - 2-24-2013 at 11:34 PM

Yesterday we headed from BOLA to El Rosario, dropped our trailer at Baja Cactus then headed down the coast road towards Agua Blanca. The dudes had spent some time at Baja Cactus to recuperate and prepare for the stretch ahead of them, and when we checked in, the receptionist said they were about three hours ahead of us. I reset my odometer when we left town and headed towards the coast. After six miles we hadn't found them and thought we might be on the wrong road, but as we came around a corner, we finally saw the nose of a surfboard bobbing in the distance.

The guys are doing great and having fun. Even after the rest they had at Baja Cactus, they said it was tough to get the packs back on and get prepared for the road ahead. From here on out it is going to be a long, desolate stretch of Baja to contend with....

[Edited on 2-25-2013 by BajaGeoff]

David K - 2-24-2013 at 11:42 PM

Yes indeed, the Baja Cactus Motel hospitality and comfort does make it hard to leave!

BajaGeoff - 2-25-2013 at 01:14 AM

Looks like they had some problems with the Spot tracker yesterday...but here is today's walk on the coast south of El Rosario...they went from Agua Blanca down to Punta San Antonio.

BajaGeoff - 2-25-2013 at 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Yes indeed, the Baja Cactus Motel hospitality and comfort does make it hard to leave!

I have to say that for the price and how impeccably clean and comfortable the rooms are...Baja Cactus is a favorite!

BajaGeoff - 2-26-2013 at 12:28 AM

Here is a quick interview we did with the guys last Saturday near El Rosario...

paranewbi - 2-26-2013 at 06:17 AM

Awesome Geoff !!
Thanks!

Ateo - 2-26-2013 at 08:18 AM

Thanks Geoff. That was the best post in this thread so far!!

David K - 2-26-2013 at 04:44 PM

So, they are going to walk the same course as Mike Younghusband and Don-Kay did... where the only SOS Spot signal needed to be sent. Punta San Carlos to Puerto Santa Catarina is really a isolated section with no parallel or access roads, tall cliffs, and NO FRESH WATER.

I don't see any bottles of water being lugged, so what is their source? A hand crank desalinizer?

mtgoat666 - 2-26-2013 at 04:52 PM

Quote:
So, they are going to walk the same course as Mike Younghusband and Don-Kay did... where the only SOS Spot signal needed to be sent. Punta San Carlos to Puerto Santa Catarina is really a isolated section with no parallel or access roads, tall cliffs, and NO FRESH WATER.

I don't see any bottles of water being lugged, so what is their source? A hand crank desalinizer?

you probably dont see water containers, as they would be inside backpacks

they can use a still, hand crank desal, rely on fish camps,...
can probably get by with 1 gallon per day per person in cool weather (or perhaps less), so can easily carry water supply for 60 to 80 mile stretch, maybe more if they push it or supplement with still or pump. so how many miles is roadless? or how many miles between fish camps?

David K - 2-26-2013 at 06:03 PM

Quote:
Quote:

you probably dont see water containers, as they would be inside backpacks

they can use a still, hand crank desal, rely on fish camps,...
can probably get by with 1 gallon per day per person in cool weather (or perhaps less), so can easily carry water supply for 60 to 80 mile stretch, maybe more if they push it or supplement with still or pump. so how many miles is roadless? or how many miles between fish camps?

Yes, I did see the straw tube coming from the backpack, but that is hardly enough for more than a day's hike, I would think?

As for the untouchable section... it is about a 20 miles section of coast from Punta San Carlos fish camp to Puerto Catarina fish camp.

Here is the map I made for Mike Younghusband's walk of that time. Mike's SOS was on Nov. 19, and maps of the next two days:

water supply

tripledigitken - 2-26-2013 at 06:11 PM

The water maker pictured looks like the Katadyn 35, which will produce 1.2 gallons/hour from seawater. That gives them the freedom of not having to carry more than a days worth of water, as long as their path is close to the ocean.

Nice unit to have but at over $2,000, it will not be in my emergency kit.

satmike - 2-27-2013 at 01:51 PM

They came through Punta San Carlos last night.
The next stretch will be interesting

satmike - 2-27-2013 at 05:54 PM

We've been following them across the bay on the beach with the binoculars. Easy to see that surfboard in the afternoon sun. I think it's a little farther to the break they wanted to make it to today than they thought.I'll be able to get the scoop from Geoff when he returns in a day or 2

David K - 2-27-2013 at 08:09 PM

Let's hope they get to Santa Catarina Landing with less drama than Mike and Don-Kay!

BajaGeoff - 3-1-2013 at 11:48 AM

Hey Nomads,

We got back late last night from our two day trek down the coast with the dudes. I will post up a full report later with photos, video and Spot maps...but in a nutshell...the stretch we walked with Justin and Bryan was the most inhospitable terrain I have ever experienced. Bryan and Justin said it was the hardest day of walking so far on the trip! I am bruised, blistered, sore and exhausted...but also happy to have visited some of the more remote sections of coastline Baja has to offer. It was stunningly gorgeous, insanely rugged and completely amazing. Unfortunately, we did not get to the point we wanted to surf.....Baja got the best of us this time! In regards to water, the guys have not had to use the desal unit yet and still have enough water in their multiple Dromedary packs to last a few days. Big thanks to SatMike and his wife for their hospitality while in Punta San Carlos. They are great Baja people!

50 MPH El Norte

satmike - 3-1-2013 at 01:53 PM

I'll bet last night and this morning were no fun. Just after midnight it started and grew to 50mph here at dawn. At least it wasn't 70+, it gets ugly then. And as a bonus it's always windier down the coast 5 or 10 miles. At least it shut off here around noon. I'll bet it comes back tonight, it always does but shouldn't be as strong.
On the bright side, gorgeous moon rise last night.

[Edited on 3-1-2013 by satmike]

BajaGeoff - 3-1-2013 at 07:40 PM

The dudes made some great progress yesterday and today....about 11 miles total, which is awesome considering the rough terrain and the Santa Ana winds that were whipping up. They are 8 miles north of Punta Canoas as of this afternoon...

David K - 3-1-2013 at 08:07 PM

Good news... the rest of the coast has a road near it!

BajaGeoff - 3-2-2013 at 02:46 AM

Here are some photos from our our trek on Wednesday and Thursday with Justin and Bryan...it was amazing but so incredibly tough!

The dudes getting geared up at SoloSports (thanks for the hospitality Kevin!)

Me all geared up for the trip...

My amigo Jeff all geared up complete with a big floppy sombrero...

Justin and Bryan on the trail...

A beautiful boojum tree we found on the trail...

Taking a break on the hike to enjoy the view...

Justin about to blast up another hill...with a 60 pound pack on his back making it look easy.

Taking a break to hydrate...

Bryan interviewing Justin for the documentary...

Anyone up for a hike? The terrain was the roughest I have ever experienced!

We found some strange rock formations in the middle of nowhere! Justin documents the find...

Justin checking out the point we were hoping to surf...the rough terrain and lack of time got the best of us though...

This little dude was posted up outside our tent on Wednesday morning.

We came out of an arroyo on the hike back and saw this wave...it's by no means a secret spot, but definitely almost never ridden because of it's remote access...

Jeff making his way up the coast towards Punta San Carlos

Jeff celebrating getting back to Punta San Carlos after a tough couple days..

On the way out of Punta San Carlos we encountered a cactus roadblock!

Interesting formations on the road to Punta San Carlos

After our adventure we had to have some quesatacos from Mama Espinosas!

Jeff signing the guestbook at Mama Espinosa's..his first visit!

It was an incredible adventure! Video coming soon...

Ateo - 3-2-2013 at 05:01 AM

Thanks for the photos Geoff. Looks awesome.

David K - 3-2-2013 at 09:07 AM

Looks like an Indian 'sleeping circle' (not always round), such as we saw near Las Animas...

:?:

MikeYounghusband - 3-2-2013 at 09:10 AM

Brings back some pretty awesome memories.

David K - 3-2-2013 at 09:22 AM

Yah, that was your fun stretch, huh Mike! LOL

desertcpl - 3-2-2013 at 09:42 AM

I must say they are in great shape, seems like they are doing good,,

EnsenadaDr - 3-2-2013 at 09:54 AM

Hey Geoff, could you get us a review on Mama Espinoza's? There was a lot of bashing of the place a few months back...like things aren't what they used to be.

DENNIS - 3-2-2013 at 10:17 AM

Quote:
Hey Geoff, could you get us a review on Mama Espinoza's? There was a lot of bashing of the place a few months back...like things aren't what they used to be.

I'm betting a food review from a few famished hikers will look pretty good. :light:

micah202 - 3-2-2013 at 10:40 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Curt63
The guys just posted this to facebook with a pic them dressing their foot blisters

"Blisters. Mo fixes his on the side of the highway just south of Salsipuedes. Mine has yet to merit a swaddling. We're now very close to Ensenada. Sun is out for the first time in days but the wind is cold. TELCEL service is pumping 3G strong everywhere we've been. Battery life is another issue with the clouds shading our solar panels..."

tenderfeet!
their first time hiking multi-days, toughness will come with time...

...just reading through this 'adventure' thread now,,,but do you really call their 'goal' of 10 miles a day,,,HIKING???:o:O:biggrin:

.......it'll be interesting to see how these guys are when/if these guys get more than 2 miles from the highway:barf:

[Edited on 3-2-2013 by micah202]

satmike - 3-2-2013 at 11:22 AM

They've been a lot further than that from the highway the last few days

David K - 3-2-2013 at 11:28 AM

micah202, once they left El Rosario for Punta San Antonio and Punta San Carlos they were more than 2 miles from the highway... and will be until they get to El Tomatal/Guerrero Negro area... over 200 miles south!

micah202 - 3-2-2013 at 11:55 AM

Quote:
micah202, once they left El Rosario for Punta San Antonio and Punta San Carlos they were more than 2 miles from the highway... and will be until they get to El Tomatal/Guerrero Negro area... over 200 miles south!

........good luck to them,,,updates are going to get 'interesting'.
.........are they going to carry and cook their own food now???

TMW - 3-2-2013 at 12:47 PM

Excellent Geoff, thanks for the update and pixs. Wishing them the best.

EnsenadaDr - 3-2-2013 at 01:55 PM

I just love these guys who criticize...you know Justin told me that he came from a basically 24 hour a day computer job with no previous training, walking or hiking. It's not like he did this for a living before. He and Bryan might be slender, but they both lived relatively sedentary lifestyles. It's hard to get off your butts and get out there and walk..especially when you aren't in the best of shape. Especially guys like these that can basically eat whatever they want and stay slim, unlike the rest of us for the most part. That was part of the reason I really commended them for what they are doing. I might walk a mile a day, but I look at it as something, and a personal goal for me. Even when I see disabled people who can hardly walk getting out there and trying, I look at it as positive. Young people today are lazy, and sit in front of their Facebooks all day long. I applaud Justin and Bryan.
Quote:
Originally posted by micah202
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Curt63
The guys just posted this to facebook with a pic them dressing their foot blisters

"Blisters. Mo fixes his on the side of the highway just south of Salsipuedes. Mine has yet to merit a swaddling. We're now very close to Ensenada. Sun is out for the first time in days but the wind is cold. TELCEL service is pumping 3G strong everywhere we've been. Battery life is another issue with the clouds shading our solar panels..."

tenderfeet!
their first time hiking multi-days, toughness will come with time...

...just reading through this 'adventure' thread now,,,but do you really call their 'goal' of 10 miles a day,,,HIKING???:o:O:biggrin:

.......it'll be interesting to see how these guys are when/if these guys get more than 2 miles from the highway:barf:

[Edited on 3-2-2013 by micah202]

micah202 - 3-2-2013 at 02:09 PM

....sooo far this epic adventure doesn't show anything of NationalGeographic's interest---2 lardo's walk down populated highway with umteen beer-visits and free meals with nomads!!:O:O:lol:

......this next section will show if there's any real story here!

EnsenadaDr - 3-2-2013 at 02:14 PM

Lardo's...these guys are lean and no fat...I saw them in person...as far as I am concerned, I am enjoying the beautiful scenery and natural beauty shown in the pictures they are taking...National Geographic is more into nature and wilderness then physical fitness....we are not talking about a hiking magazine...I get bored easily and I am fascinated with the wonderful pictures they are taking.

MikeYounghusband - 3-2-2013 at 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by micah202
Quote:

........good luck to them,,,updates are going to get 'interesting'.
.........are they going to carry and cook their own food now???

Well I guarantee you they won't find much to eat or anything to drink where they are now. Just hope for a safe passage, an injury would devastating.

tripledigitken - 3-2-2013 at 02:58 PM

Quote:
...natural beauty shown in the pictures they are taking...National Geographic is more into nature and wilderness then physical fitness....we are not talking about a hiking magazine...I get bored easily and I am fascinated with the wonderful pictures they are taking.

So far the pictures they are posting look to be Instagrams off of an IPhone not high res from a DSLR. That may have something to do with Natgeo. I'll bet the photos published after they finish, by Natgeo, will be very interesting.

BajaGeoff - 3-2-2013 at 09:03 PM

Today they ended up a few miles northeast of Punta Canoas.....about 40 miles from the nearest highway. So far they have been able to get food and supplies along the way, but this stretch is indeed going to test them. They do have the means to fish if necessary, and also hope to be able to buy seafood and water at some of the fish camps on this leg of the journey.

TampicoTrauma - 3-3-2013 at 10:28 AM

Hola!

I'm new to this site... But I did see Justin and Bryan at Rancho Tampico back on February 13th...

I made them tacos and put them up for the night in my garage... They were on their way the next morning after a breakfast of coffee, eggs, potatoes and pancakes...

That are truly entering "The Land that God has Forgotten"... It's the most gnarly, desolate, inhospitable desert I've ever seen...

I wish them suerte... They're going to need in that country!

David K - 3-3-2013 at 10:34 AM

Without pulling out my Baja Almanac, just where is Rancho Tampico? Thank you... and welcome to Baja Nomad!!

TampicoTrauma - 3-3-2013 at 10:41 AM

Were on the dirt road that goes from Santo Tomas to Erindira... South of the Danish Compound... And north of Bahia Almehas... Which is north of Punta Cabras...

We have the signs that say, "Precaucion ChupaCabras"...

David K - 3-3-2013 at 11:05 AM

Okay, yes.... I got you... I have camped just north of Punta Cabras on Bahia Almejas. It's been many years, however!

[Edited on 3-3-2013 by BajaNomad]

TampicoTrauma - 3-3-2013 at 02:52 PM

Looks like the Dynamic Duo is at the fish camp at Punta Conoas...

<iframe src="https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=FF7DE607DDA6E520&resid=FF7DE607DDA6E520%21248&authkey=AFmnBNoaLOq3MKM" width="320" height="240" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Let's see if I've got the hang of this Html stuff down still...

David K... You probably saw me camped down there then... I use to camp at the south end of the cliffs... I was camping that spot before the graded gravel road was pushed through for the Baja 1000...

BajaNomad - 3-3-2013 at 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TampicoTrauma

<iframe src="https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=FF7DE607DDA6E520&resid=FF7DE607DDA6E520%21248&authkey=AFmnBNoaLOq3MKM" width="320" height="240" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

micah202 - 3-3-2013 at 03:33 PM

......it's looking like this trip has more for the 'free-loader's guide to Baja',,,than NationalG:lol:

chuckie - 3-3-2013 at 03:47 PM

Kinda the way I see it...A few stretches of rough country does not an adventure make...

EnsenadaDr - 3-3-2013 at 03:49 PM

Let's see you big men get out there and hike 10 miles a day, then you can start talking. You probably couldn't do 2 miles...on the carretera!! What are your qualifications?

micah202 - 3-3-2013 at 03:52 PM

Quote:
Let's see you big men get out there and hike 10 miles a day, then you can start talking. You probably couldn't do 2 miles...on the carretera!! What are your qualifications?

...at that age,I was running 40 miles at a time....~120 miles a week,,,

....I guess for you this is an 'adventure',,doctor-boy???:?:

....have they even slept -outside - yet????,,god forbid!!:no:

[Edited on 3-3-2013 by micah202]

chuckie - 3-3-2013 at 04:39 PM

Are you getting paid to publiciize this ,Doc? FYI: in the States I run a hunting guide service for upland birds, and walk 3-10 miles per day for about 90 -100 consecutive days per year......And I am 78 years old...Whats the big deal with this walk?

EnsenadaDr - 3-3-2013 at 04:53 PM

Well I guess then no one can measure up to your qualifications!! Maybe you better go to the Everglades and watch an alligator wrestler if this doesn't float your boat..no I am not getting paid.
Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Are you getting paid to publiciize this ,Doc? FYI: in the States I run a hunting guide service for upland birds, and walk 3-10 miles per day for about 90 -100 consecutive days per year......And I am 78 years old...Whats the big deal with this walk?

TampicoTrauma - 3-3-2013 at 04:56 PM

Um well... I did drive from Catavina to Punta Conoas a few years back and it was a good days's drive... Probably 60 miles just to get to the coast and Conoas from Highway 1....

After that we turned south and drove another 120 miles to get to Santa Rosallita... We started going through tires... I was patching tires and we ran low on gasoline even though we had an extra ten gallons on board... We didn't see another living soul for five days DRIVING! We got to the gas station north of Guerrero Negro bouncing on empty...

I wouldn't drive back into that country without a backup vehicle... Much less walk it...

In a vehicle you have an option to walk... When you're on foot your only option is to walk some more...

Pages:  1    3    5  ..  9