BajaNomad

Tropical Storm Warning for BCS for Hurricane Norbert

Pages:  1    3

micah202 - 9-6-2014 at 07:58 AM

....the 'alternata forecast'**
....hmmm,,me's waking to a surprise,,,getting to know how tempestuous these things can be. Thankfully it sounds like the cat3 amp-up is reasonably short lived,,and the 'fans' seem to be helping keep Norbert on course.
...in looking at the smaller influences that steer the mass around,it seems the high pressure ridge is what's steering Norbert the most,,,,so perhaps any actions that enhance high pressure is what'll help now---perhaps open all fridges in baja,,turn on AC's will add a cooling,,densifying effect to the pressure zone,,,keeping Norby further offshore....this will particularly reduce the opportunity for precipitation on the Cortez column...Unique to this forecaster's memory is the small hitch westward that has developed about 1/3 way up the peninsula,,,this can only be attributed to a unique 'ascuncisharinomad' effect,,distinct to the area.Additional information from the 8am summary refers to this as
.... 'a more stable environment'...not sure if her hubby agrees(?)

...of course ,,there's a reason the pressure ridge weakens as we go towards the north--unfortunately a largely persistent release of -hot-air- over Ensenada has caused a break-down of the pressure ridge ,leaving Ensenada largely vulnerable to Norb's effect....it's only through the efforts of the more souther population that Norb's effect on the northerly areas will be mitigated.

...it is now safe to hang laundry in the lower portions of the southern area,,,although some 'rinse,repeat' is still to be expected.,but still important to 'tie up your horse' further north
;D;D:yes:

The 'B.M.'** forecast.....''The best estimate of the initial motion is toward the northwest or 310 degrees at 7 knots. Norbert is forecast to be steered by the ascuncisharinomad flow around the southwestern periphery of a mid-level ridge centered over the town of Ascunsion. In a 48 hours, the cyclone will reach the base of the mid-latitude westerlies and will begin to move northward and then northeastward. By then, Norbert is forecast to be a shallow cyclone,having been dissipated by a sharp outward flow of hotair over northern baja , moving little in a weak low-level flow. There is high confidence in the short- term track forecast since there is a good guidance agreement. Beyond 3 days, global models either forecast Norbert to dissipate in situ near the west coast of the northern Baja California peninsula or
continue to move the system eastward as a weak low or a trough. The NHC prefers the former global model solution.''

...**disclaimer--I am not a meteorologist,,but I like to play one on the internet...call me 'baja meteorologist' :P

[Edited on 9-6-2014 by micah202]

chuckie - 9-6-2014 at 08:02 AM

:bounce:

micah202 - 9-6-2014 at 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mula
The bay water at the public dock in Lopez is up to within 18" of the top walkway.
Lot's of rain now but not much wind.
In the drive around town just now didn't much down or torn up.
Water is the problem now.

Hoping for the best for Asuncion today.

....I'd have to say that this doesn't bode well for this evening's high tide ~8pm--two feet higher than what you see now,,, the wind effects will likely be more onshore as well!

monoloco - 9-6-2014 at 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mula
The bay water at the public dock in Lopez is up to within 18" of the top walkway.
Lot's of rain now but not much wind.
In the drive around town just now didn't much down or torn up.
Water is the problem now.

Hoping for the best for Asuncion today.
Glad all's well there.

bajalinda - 9-6-2014 at 08:53 AM

9:45 am Sat morning. OK here's the after storm report from La Aguja for all of you north of here. We had constant heavy rain and strong wind from 2:30 pm yesterday til about 10:00pm last night when it finally started to taper off. Still windy this AM and no more rain for the moment. Now we're in clean-up mode.

Good news is that it's pleasantly cooler this morning. Take care all you northies.

shari - 9-6-2014 at 08:53 AM

yes, here too, tonight's high tide will tell the tale. Lots of activity in town this morning, darkening skies, people putting plywood up...we are taping windows in hopes of 30-40 knots tonight.
Good to hear from you Mula et al...sounds not too awfully bad although I'm sure the flooding in Lopez Mateos is pretty bad.

BCSTech - 9-6-2014 at 08:54 AM

Can anyone give a road report between Loreto and San juanico? We need to head over there this weekend to install a couple of V-SAT systems and cell phone boosters. We only have a 2-wheel drive Suburban, so reluctant to head that way without some info. Thanks!

willyAirstream - 9-6-2014 at 09:04 AM

Mulege - heavy rain all night, no wind, town roads have the usual mud. No major flooding, at least from here on the north side. Will confirm later. Sunny now, no wind.

micah202 - 9-6-2014 at 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
yes, here too, tonight's high tide will tell the tale. Lots of activity in town this morning, darkening skies, people putting plywood up...we are taping windows in hopes of 30-40 knots tonight.
Good to hear from you Mula et al...sounds not too awfully bad although I'm sure the flooding in Lopez Mateos is pretty bad.

....shari,,,I really think that there's more going for the sun morning high tide than sat eve.
....the tide will be ~2' lower,,but wind will be more on-shore in the morning,,likely offshore this eve.

...be well!

BajaNomad - 9-6-2014 at 09:10 AM

norbert-sat-906a.jpg - 49kB

willyAirstream - 9-6-2014 at 09:24 AM

Looks like the big ditch project was successful. No flood damage to report. The new little causeway bridge, under the main bridge, is still in place. An old timer told me yesterday that if it rains here for morethan eight hours Mulege will flood. It was a very heavy downpour here last night and yesterday, so it must have been raining in the mtns, so..........

msteve1014 - 9-6-2014 at 09:30 AM

Blowing really hard here now. No rain, just a big sand storm so far.

BajaNomad - 9-6-2014 at 09:47 AM

norbert-wunder-sat944a.jpg - 49kB

Bruce R Leech - 9-6-2014 at 09:47 AM

I am hearing story's that very bad things have happened in San Carlos. any one have any info on this?

mulegemichael - 9-6-2014 at 09:55 AM

richard/willy....thanks so much for the regular updates...please keep them coming...i skyped adan this morning and he said our casa had been evacuated so that gives us a big WHEW!....please keep us in the loop, amigo.

BajaNomad - 9-6-2014 at 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
I am hearing story's that very bad things have happened in San Carlos. any one have any info on this?

BajaGringo posted the following article to Talk Baja:

http://www.bcsnoticias.mx/se-sale-el-mar-en-puerto-san-carlo...

A sea breach caused significant flooding and damage. See the report for more details (in Spanish).

micah202 - 9-6-2014 at 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willyAirstream
Looks like the big ditch project was successful. No flood damage to report. The new little causeway bridge, under the main bridge, is still in place. An old timer told me yesterday that if it rains here for morethan eight hours Mulege will flood. It was a very heavy downpour here last night and yesterday, so it must have been raining in the mtns, so..........

...''here's hoping''..as they say.
....I -really- want to get a better idea of what's been done back there.....my concern(ad nauseum)....is whether there's any sort of 'hold-back's they've made--the concern being of a rain event that's greater than the hold-back--causing a breech.

...an aerial photo 'bout now would be too much to wish for.

Norbert Sept 6 11:00am

oladulce - 9-6-2014 at 10:37 AM

Punta Pequeña/ San Juanico

The wall of the outer edge of Norbert is now visible to the South. Slight wind shift towards the South now. Satellite sites show it about 60 miles off shore but can't tell if that's from the center of the storm. Wind sock still flying and the gauge worked briefly and recorded 28mph average. Surprised it's so close and conditions are still fairly mild. These photos were from 15 min ago and it's now white-out with slight rain.

Looking across the Bahia San Juanico across the peninsula in the direction of Mulege and Loreto (towards the Right in the photo). Alan T. we're just now seeing Norbert effects and I would not plan to drive over here until it passes.

[Edited on 9-7-2014 by oladulce]

Mula - 9-6-2014 at 11:21 AM

Lopez Mateos did not get any flooding so far. Just swamped streets because of no drain ditches, etc.

I just got back from a run to Constitucion. Rain most of the way - from sprinkle to downpour - nothing steady.

Bank was empty and roads deserted, too. But no problems.

I did head the Gov. who is now in San Carlos on the radio reporting all the breakwater breech damage. . . Sounds significant. But San Carlos is all sea level.

When I got back here - I checked the public dock and the pangas are taking off to go shrimping now. Should be back in around 4.

Looks like rain off and on for the rest of the day here and really comfortable!!!!!

Mulegena - 9-6-2014 at 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
I didn't hear the fat lady sing yet..Looks like lotsa rain still on the path...
Oh, Chuckie, you're my friend and I loves ya' bigly, but that's no way to talk about me!! I'll sing when I'm dam well ready-- tra la la!

We're fine here in Mulege.
Electrics came back on at 11:30 this morning.
Sun is out. Highway is open.
Town streets are full of mud which is to be expected whenever we get any amount of rain here. The guys with shovels will be out on clean-up patrol soon.
Our thoughts are with you west-coasters up north. Get prepared. Be smart. Stay safe.

[Edited on 9-6-2014 by Mulegena]

micah202 - 9-6-2014 at 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oladulce
Punta Pequeña/ San Juanico

The wall of the outer edge of Norbert is now visible to the South. Slight wind shift towards the South now. Satellite sites show it about 60 miles off shore but can't tell if that's from the center of the storm. Wind sock still flying and the gauge worked briefly and recorded 28mph average. Surprised it's so close and conditions are still fairly mild. These photos were from 15 min ago and it's now white-out with slight rain.

Looking across the Bahia San Juanico across the peninsula in the direction of Mulege and Loreto (towards the Right in the photo). Alan T. we're just now seeing Norbert effects and I would not plan to drive over here until it passes.

...interesting and well detailed report!...it really confirms accuracy of this site I'm following ... http://passageweather.com/#
....30-40mph winds isn't surprising ....consistant with intensity/distance forecasts.....

it's saying Asunción should expect ~30-35mph this eve---a marked improvement over earlier readings,,,,and there's an amazing left-hook and dissipation overnight.....easing my concern for sunday morning!
....the 'asuncisharinomad's more stable environment' is coming into effect !! :O:wow::D:bounce::yes:

........'oladulce'.......the bottom photo--you're facing east,,(L is north)??--I think I can see your place on google earth....try giving a wave!

O.m.g.....I realize I've -really- been -battering- the correct spelling for Asunción--my apologies....let's hope that's the worst battering you folks get!! :cool:

Bruce R Leech - 9-6-2014 at 11:53 AM

thanks Doug, and all those posting info here

shari - 9-6-2014 at 12:00 PM

I am so glad Mulege is fine and Lopez sounds not horrible although definitely some flooding there by the looks of that article. So we taped the windows and are hoping Norbert continues on his predicted track. The swells are bigger now of course and we had some rain squalls...the best is yet to come for us...gonna try to nap now for possible bucket brigade tonight.

EngineerMike - 9-6-2014 at 12:09 PM

Worst of this could be where it slows & sends a coupla 3 days of rain on the area south of Ensenada. Current NOAA tracks show it stalling offshore as a tropical depression and taking 2 days coming ashore there.

Although, to quote Rochelle from Mulege, "you can never trust a hurricane."

BajaNomad - 9-6-2014 at 12:10 PM

HURRICANE NORBERT INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER 17A
1100 AM PDT SAT SEP 06 2014

...CORE OF INTENSE HURRICANE NORBERT CONTINUES TO MOVE
AWAY FROM THE WEST COAST OF BAJA CALIFORNIA PENINSULA...

DISCUSSION AND 48-HOUR OUTLOOK
------------------------------
AT 1100 AM PDT...1800 UTC...THE EYE OF HURRICANE NORBERT WAS
LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 25.1 NORTH...LONGITUDE 114.4 WEST. NORBERT
HAS BEEN MOVING TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 8 MPH...13 KM/H...
DURING THE PAST COUPLE OF HOURS...BUT IS EXPECTED TO RESUME A
GENERAL NORTHWESTWARD MOTION WITH A DECREASE IN FORWARD SPEED
LATER TODAY. ON THE FORECAST TRACK...THE HURRICANE WILL CONTINUE TO
MOVE PARALLEL TO THE WEST COAST OF THE BAJA CALIFORNIA PENINSULA
THROUGH THE WEEKEND.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS REMAIN NEAR 115 MPH...185 KM/H...WITH
HIGHER GUSTS. NORBERT IS A CATEGORY THREE HURRICANE ON THE
SAFFIR-SIMPSON HURRICANE WIND SCALE. A GRADUAL WEAKENING SHOULD
BEGIN LATER TODAY OR TONIGHT.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 45 MILES...75 KM...FROM
THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 140
MILES...220 KM.

THE ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 960 MB...28.35 INCHES.

micah202 - 9-6-2014 at 12:12 PM

Quote:
I am so glad Mulege is fine and Lopez sounds not horrible although definitely some flooding there by the looks of that article. So we taped the windows and are hoping Norbert continues on his predicted track. The swells are bigger now of course and we had some rain squalls...the best is yet to come for us...gonna try to nap now for possible bucket brigade tonight.

.....I'm beginning to think you've already got through the worst of things--here's 'hoping' ;D

Sweetwater - 9-6-2014 at 12:31 PM

Quote:

That's great news Richard, glad to hear the Orchard area is intact.

Quote:

Bruce R Leech posted on 9-6-2014 at 09:47 AM

Power station, docks, downtown.....? We spent a couple days there in late February, the town seemed to be on the upswing with full rooms, remodeling and construction.

shari - 9-6-2014 at 12:49 PM

it seems the storm is just now really starting to crank up. The worry here is that a bout 20 years ago there was a storm just like this one that stalled just offshore then decided to swing inland here and really screwed things up...lets hope not.

woody with a view - 9-6-2014 at 01:03 PM

got a report of rain in LA Bay.... gully warshers tonight!

Russ - 9-6-2014 at 01:31 PM

Windy here again. 20+ SSE - It's sunny now but there are huge clouds off to the West & South. More later. Still hoping all are well on the coast. It is really scary when one of these stalls only to regain strength and move slowly on. Hope it heads NW quickly.

wetto - 9-6-2014 at 01:46 PM

Thank you for all your reports....
I watch with great interest and wish best outcomes for all.

shari - 9-6-2014 at 01:55 PM

Ok so we are putting up some plywood on some windows...just in casee! Here are a few photos from last night and this morning. It is blowing about 30 plus from the east now and hot.

lets hope these palms are here tomorrow morning! the waves came over the bank again last night and this afternoon the seas are really building...more at 11!

this was a good place NOT to build a house....eaten by a storm a few years back.

these folks will be plenty nervous

the wave watchers last night

the latest out here at the point...a washing machine.

[Edited on 9-6-2014 by shari]

[Edited on 9-6-2014 by shari]

Paulina - 9-6-2014 at 02:30 PM

Shari,

Has the beach horse been moved to higher ground?

P>*)))>{

bajabuddha - 9-6-2014 at 04:10 PM

Newest models show more of a north-westerly track for now, which is good for the Guerrero cape area; but it also shows a strong 90 degree right-turn when it hits colder water/ wind-shear, and looks to be targeting the San Quintin / El Rosario area. It'll drop to TS/TD status, but will bring a LOT of rainfall to the central Peninsula in 4 to 5 days. Best wishes to all.

Brinloor - 9-6-2014 at 06:03 PM

Well poop. After a muggy day, the rains have started again in Mulegé.

Mulegena - 9-6-2014 at 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Brinloor
Well poop. After a muggy day, the rains have started again in Mulegé.
Yep, well stated, Brinloor.

Are you and mom tucked in and safe tonight? If you need anything over here, call any time.

Good luck, Mulege town folk. Be safe tonight.
Be vigilant friends of the wildcoast and mountains. Great care.

tripledigitken - 9-6-2014 at 07:02 PM

Stay safe y'all.

From San Diego

Mulegena - 9-6-2014 at 07:21 PM

Rain stopped. Calm, dry... think it's safe to hang up some laundry?

[Edited on 9-7-2014 by Mulegena]

wetto - 9-6-2014 at 07:48 PM

Would someone please give us the links to the various web cams in the Mulege area.

thank you

BornFisher - 9-6-2014 at 07:52 PM

Well Norbert is looking a bit like Norman in 1978. Here is a link to the track Norman took. I remember about 1" of rain in San Diego and flooding in the Sierras.-------
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1978_Pacific_hurricane_season#m...

Well, that link wasn`t what I wanted, but scroll down to Norman and click the track image. Comes into SoCal.

[Edited on 9-7-2014 by BornFisher]

Brinloor - 9-6-2014 at 07:53 PM

Rain stopped. Calm, dry... think it's safe to hang up some laundry?

Ha! Not on my side of the river. I am praying to the CFE goddess tonight. I do NOT want to go out in the rain to start the planta. Stuck in Lodo again. I should write a song.....

shari - 9-6-2014 at 08:38 PM

Hi ya'll...just back from a couple hours in town watching the crazy waves hitting the town at high tide. Luckily there was no rain so not too much damage so far. the waves came up to the main street...again...and the bank eroded more but the palms are still standing...barely. The palapa restaurant took some water but everything is still standing. The road to San Roque is flooded. The wind has calmed to around 30 knots I figure at the moment but there is supposed to be alot more wind in the middle of the night as Norbert knocks at our door.

Many people standing on the edge of the banks and cliffs got soaked when big waves crashed including me! So all is well at the moment and I'm glad some windows have boards so we may get a bit of sleep. Good night all...hasta manana...pretty cool we still have internet and power.

Mulegena - 9-6-2014 at 09:22 PM

Stay safe, warm and dry tonight, Central Coasteñ@s!

micah202 - 9-6-2014 at 09:52 PM

....Shari......good to hear things are hanging in for Asuncion--thanks for the pics....it looks beautiful out there!

woody with a view - 9-7-2014 at 06:39 AM

just when itr looked safe to come up for air! watch til the end.

http://www.stormsurfing.com/cgi/display.cgi?a=npac_height

shari - 9-7-2014 at 06:50 AM

Oh gee thanks Woody...as they say here...No Manches!!!! kinda like no friggin way. Well at least we will be better prepared and not in so much denial. I knew that September was going to be rough when we had such warm water a couple months ago and dont doubt for a moment we are in for stormy weather as the song goes...did the fat lady sing that?

Back to our regularly scheduled laundry report...we can say here that we are out of the woods now. It blew around 35-45 all night and still is with not a drop of rain...sheesh...and the seas have gone down significantly too which is a blessing for our shoreline. Dirty clothes are piling up and hope we can get them washed before the next storm hits.

We are off for a town check...have a safe day all

Pescador - 9-7-2014 at 06:53 AM

Quote:

I went up west by San Jose De Magdelena to see what went on in the high country, and there just was not enough rain to cause the arroyos to run very much, so I am not sure this was a test of the diversion. The only arroyo I could actually find running was the one north of Palo Verde where SAPA has a pump and the road to Palo Verde Airport takes off, and it was pretty gentle. Did not see much around Mulege, but I did not go much past the Ice House.

chuckie - 9-7-2014 at 07:00 AM

That was kinda what I suspected, not enough rain for a real test....

Mulegena - 9-7-2014 at 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
That was kinda what I suspected, not enough rain for a real test....
Exactly. Mulege didn't get much rain at all from Norbert, nor did the western mountains behind us.

We got more rain from the west in the two-hour chubasco in early August. It came in fast, furious and low from the southwest.

Norbert was no test.

Mula - 9-7-2014 at 07:24 AM

Norbert is long gone from Lopez, but it's still raining off and on.
No wind to speak of, but showers and overcast.

chuckie - 9-7-2014 at 08:07 AM

Oscar is waiting in the wings....

BajaNomad - 9-7-2014 at 08:52 AM

TROPICAL STORM NORBERT ADVISORY NUMBER 21
800 AM PDT SUN SEP 07 2014

...NORBERT WEAKENING QUICKLY OVER COOL WATER...

WATCHES AND WARNINGS
--------------------
THERE ARE NO COASTAL WATCHES OR WARNINGS IN EFFECT.

AT 800 AM PDT...1500 UTC...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM NORBERT WAS
LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 26.0 NORTH...LONGITUDE 117.0 WEST. NORBERT IS
MOVING TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 8 MPH...13 KM/H. A TURN TOWARD
THE NORTHWEST AND THEN NORTH IS EXPECTED DURING THE NEXT DAY OR SO.
A SLOW DOWN AND TURN TOWARD THE NORTHEAST IS EXPECTED ON TUESDAY.
ON THE FORECAST TRACK...NORBERT WILL CONTINUE MOVING PARALLEL TO
AND WELL OFFSHORE OF THE WEST COAST OF THE BAJA CALIFORNIA
PENINSULA THROUGH MONDAY.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS HAVE DECREASED TO NEAR 60 MPH...
95 KM/H...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. ADDITIONAL WEAKENING IS FORECAST...
AND NORBERT IS EXPECTED TO BECOME A REMNANT LOW BY MONDAY MORNING.

TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 80 MILES...130 KM
FROM THE CENTER.

norbert-sun850a.jpg - 50kB

Bob and Susan - 9-7-2014 at 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena

...We got more rain from the west in the two-hour chubasco in early August. It came in fast, furious and low from the southwest...

the bay at mulege got twice the rain...way worse than Aug
not much wind

chuckie - 9-7-2014 at 09:25 AM

How much did you get at the bay, in inches?

David K - 9-7-2014 at 09:31 AM

Keep up the reporting! Glad to hear of no major damage... :bounce:

micah202 - 9-7-2014 at 09:34 AM

Quote:

Back to our regularly scheduled laundry report...we can say here that we are out of the woods now. It blew around 35-45 all night and still is with not a drop of rain...sheesh...and the seas have gone down significantly too which is a blessing for our shoreline. Dirty clothes are piling up and hope we can get them washed before the next storm hits.

We are off for a town check...have a safe day all

....incredible how on-the-edge that all was--just ~10 miles further inland and it likely would have been a rather different story!!:O:o:wow::wow:

...I'm really curious to know which high tide was most on-the-edge??? :?::?:

Mulege area micro-climates

Mulegena - 9-7-2014 at 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena

...We got more rain from the west in the two-hour chubasco in early August. It came in fast, furious and low from the southwest...

the bay at mulege got twice the rain...way worse than Aug
not much wind
Yes, the cell that stretched from Tortuga Island and down into the bay yesterday evening was visible from Loma Azul. It didn't extend much onto the land in town nor westerly from town.

In characterizing the chubasco of August from reference point of Loma Azul, it did come from the southwest and was very, very wet and intense in the Mulege river valley and town.

Brinloor - 9-7-2014 at 10:21 AM

A huge thank you to everyone for all the current postings in a stressful time. Often that info was more helpful than official weather sites. And it is nice to feel you aren't alone when the end of the world is nigh.

shari - 9-7-2014 at 10:27 AM

Brinloor...having internet was invaluable for us and thank goodness we could see the satellite so we felt better knowing Norbert didnt turn towards us! On site reporting is fantastic.

you are right Micah...we were very VERY lucky that Norbert veered a bit west when it got near here...the fans worked by golly! Also if there had been rain, things would have been awful. Last night's high tide around 9 was the worst of it...I am working on photos of that hour now.

this mornings storm check revealed the new Estero Beach in Asuncion is really cool where the waves broke through...video coming soon. There were croakers in there already!

The road in front of the new Hotel Asuncion is now closed as the bank eroded away quite a bit...we were one of the last cars to pass in front and I sure felt unsafe. The water came up to the main street more than last week. The row of palms in town are still standing but barely.The next storm should eat away more of the bank in town.

It is still blowing 30 knots and a few rain cells passing quickly but all is well here.

[Edited on 9-7-2014 by shari]

bajajudy - 9-7-2014 at 12:46 PM

Got my first load on the line
So glad Norbert didn't hit anything as a cat3...... Gnarly
They say that September will be active in the Eastern Pacific. Vamos a ver

micah202 - 9-7-2014 at 03:01 PM

Quote:

you are right Micah...we were very VERY lucky that Norbert veered a bit west when it got near here...the fans worked by golly! Also if there had been rain, things would have been awful. Last night's high tide around 9 was the worst of it...I am working on photos of that hour now.

The road in front of the new Hotel Asuncion is now closed as the bank eroded away quite a bit...we were one of the last cars to pass in front and I sure felt unsafe. The water came up to the main street more than last week. The row of palms in town are still standing but barely.The next storm should eat away more of the bank in town.

It is still blowing 30 knots and a few rain cells passing quickly but all is well here.

....it's been really interesting to hear details of this,,learn 'bout the beast and correlate with various tracking tools available...I was also able to pass some of the photos and observations up the line to others who storm-watch---it's not like anything can effect what big-mamma nature would do,,but maybe,just maybe.......
.......whether it be the 'fans',,,or not attempting fate with hanging laundry,,,opening fridges too help maintain the pressure ridge,,the Asuncisharinomad effect of stability or perhaps hope and/or prayer.....I like to think that -something- was accomplished on these pages more than the usual exercising of internet obsessions.

....any time I spend on Baja in particular wakes me to remember how I'm just one speck of sand--once a part of a tall mountain,,once a long rolling hill,,,sometimes part of the hourglass of beach-sand,,,,and all too often-nothing more than a speck of......'dust-in-the-wind' :wow:;D:yes:

bajajudy - 9-7-2014 at 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by micah202

.......whether it be the 'fans',,,or not attempting fate with hanging laundry,,,opening fridges too help maintain the pressure ridge,,the Asuncisharinomad effect of stability or perhaps hope and/or prayer.....I like to think that -something- was accomplished on these pages more than the usual exercising of internet obsessions.

We may get silly sometimes but we are all here to help each other when needed.
Having on the ground info during a hurricane is priceless. We only have each other for reports....CNN forgot about us.

chuckie - 9-7-2014 at 04:13 PM

There is no substitute for the words and thoughts of people we know and care and worry about during times like these....We all try to keep it light, and we all are concerned about our Baja friends....Wouldn't have it any other way..Thanks all....

EnsenadaDr - 9-7-2014 at 04:20 PM

Just took my laundry in from what started out to be a beautiful sunny warm day. The clouds are rolling in, the skies are getting grey and ominous....I am close to Ensenada.

mulegemichael - 9-7-2014 at 04:25 PM

hey doc, you might want to hang onto your sutures this time; looks like you have some weather coming....i'm just thankful that FINALLY mulege dodged the bullet...FINALLY i'm not mucking out my casa from a foot or so of stinking mud and sewage...albiet, the season is not over yet...i won't hold my breath....good luck, ensenada!

BajaGringo - 9-7-2014 at 05:37 PM

Looks like they are projecting for Norbert to cross land just south of us on Tuesday evening, mas o menos. It certainly won't be a hurricane or even a TS but the slow moving speed will allow for it to pickup more moisture along the way. My only concern with this projected path is the potential to dump lots of rain in the sierras, which in turn comes charging back down, funneled into bridge crossings along Hwy1...

BajaGringo - 9-7-2014 at 05:39 PM

...and before I forget - really glad our amigos del sur came through OK!

tksurf - 9-7-2014 at 05:39 PM

Heading to Scorpion Bay Wednesday from Encinitas, hoping to go in the North Road early Friday.

I would really appreciate hearing from ANYONE with ANY INFO about the North Road into Scorpion, or even the longer South Road.

Gracias, tksurf

PS...I promise I will never bring negativity south of the border.

also want to travel to Scorpion Bay

Zola - 9-7-2014 at 06:46 PM

We are in San Diego and want to travel to San Juanico by the north road next week but are not at all sure whether it will be possible. I saw a photo on a related link (Hurricane Norbert in Punta Abreojos) that showed a photo of Highway 1 near Vizcaino. The highway was completely washed out, with 18-wheel trucks halfway submerged in water. If Highway 1 is in this condition, there is likely little hope for the offroad dunes or roads that lead to San Juanico.

There is also talk of monster rain storms near El Rosario and San Quintin if Norbert makes landfall as a tropical depression early next week.

Please keep us posted. Maybe it is better to postpone plans to travel there until the end of the month? We really, really want to go, but not if it means we are simply putting ourselves in harm's way pointlessly. Thanks for any feedback or information that anyone might have.

This is my first post on this site, but we will be around, and I will always share information as I can.

mulegemichael - 9-7-2014 at 07:10 PM

put your trip off....simple as that....all roads will likely be sketchy after this storm.....i, by the way, was fortunate to "float" across that very same arroyo in viscaino that we saw earlier a few years ago....an accomodating surfer duct taped me into my truck cab and i churned my way across with my trailer floating and trying to tow me downstream....never forget it!

Petey - 9-7-2014 at 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tksurf
Heading to Scorpion Bay Wednesday from Encinitas, hoping to go in the North Road early Friday.

I would really appreciate hearing from ANYONE with ANY INFO about the North Road into Scorpion, or even the longer South Road.

Gracias, tksurf

I concur with MM - the north road is pretty unlikely to be passable - and there'll be even less help out there than normal if you need it. The other thing to consider is what Marie (and probably Norbert too) did to the breaks there -if you know anyone there, ask.

KaceyJ - 9-7-2014 at 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tksurf

Gracias, tksurf

Tksurf and Zola

welcome to the board ,

I wouldn't put off your itinerary but just in case I would be prepared to hole up along the way just in case .
These tormentas are common and the locals can get you around any obstacles quick

Be flexible , safe , unhurried and have fun

Give us a report when you can

With surf pics please , no gps:fire:

ps , its all sand , wet stuff soaks in quick, just be smart about it , this has been a low rain event, savvy?

[Edited on 9-8-2014 by KaceyJ]

Tomas Tierra - 9-7-2014 at 07:44 PM

You can always go the south road, its all paved.. If the salt flat are to slick on the N road, look for the "middle" road to El Datil.. All sand, as mentioned, soaks in fast.. First rip through the north road?? Think real hard before entering this zone after rain IMO

Ateo - 9-7-2014 at 07:58 PM

I bet people are going in and out of the North Road to San Juanico right now. Like KaceyJ said, bring supplies in case you get hung up somewhere, but I remember after the hurricane that nailed SJ a few years ago hearing that trucks were coming into town covered in mud, maybe 2 days after. They made it.

Go explore and have fun.

KaceyJ - 9-7-2014 at 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo

Go explore and have fun.

It is what it all about , no?

The trip , not the destination

The north road in itself is an adventure , good people along the way , sights unseen by most and best of all , no asphalt.

when in doubt stay on the east side roads

Zola - 9-7-2014 at 09:33 PM

Thanks for the comments, which I appreciate, and which are thought-provoking.

As for us, we have decided to stay put and postpone our plans. I think if anyone is going to go, they should drive from the south road only after having confirmation that Highway 1 is passable all the way. I think the road from Insurgentes to SJ is already passable right now (but do not yet have confirmation), but it looked unpassable at Vizcaino already, and they say that San Quintin and El Rosario might be flooded tomorrow or Tuesday.

HWY 1

bajaguy - 9-7-2014 at 09:49 PM

From ensenada.net

Transpeninsular Open Road
No sections have been closed across the peninsula

Article posted September 7, 2014
by Elizabeth Vargas

Despite the rains that occurred in Baja California Sur, no stretch of the road has been closed transpeninsular's Federal Police Division ways.

In the case of Baja California, specifically in the town of Ensenada so far the situation remains without incident, but on alert for forecasting rainfall in the region because of Tropical Storm Norbert.

According to data of the corporation many people have called to inquire about the status of the road, which continues to operate normally even in areas where there are fords.

Some carry water but have not been closed because no hazard to motorists.

BajaGringo - 9-7-2014 at 10:09 PM

Just got off the phone with a close friend here who is a PFC. He shared with me that the highway at Vizcaino reopened to traffic earler this afternoon but with a lot of precaution as several riverbeds were breached and water is still a big problem. I second the motion on San Quintin area bridges. With Norbert coming east on the peninsula at about 30ºN and continuing across the sierras, the potential exists for a lot of water to get dumped above which would be funneled down to a small number of bridge crossings.

Be careful out there....

BajaNomad - 9-8-2014 at 12:29 AM

TROPICAL STORM NORBERT ADVISORY NUMBER 23
800 PM PDT SUN SEP 07 2014

...NORBERT CONTINUES SLOWLY WEAKENING...
...LIKELY TO BECOME POST-TROPICAL TOMORROW...

AT 800 PM PDT...0300 UTC...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM NORBERT WAS
LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 27.1 NORTH...LONGITUDE 117.9 WEST. NORBERT IS
MOVING TOWARD THE NORTHWEST NEAR 7 MPH...11 KM/H...AND A TURN
TOWARD THE NORTH AND NORTHEAST WITH A DECREASE IN FORWARD SPEED IS
EXPECTED OVER THE NEXT DAY OR TWO. ON THE FORECAST TRACK...NORBERT
IS EXPECTED TO REMAIN OFFSHORE OF THE WEST COAST OF THE BAJA
CALIFORNIA PENINSULA DURING THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS HAVE DECREASED TO NEAR 45 MPH...75 KM/H...
WITH HIGHER GUSTS. CONTINUED GRADUAL WEAKENING IS FORECAST DURING
THE NEXT 48 HOURS...AND NORBERT IS EXPECTED TO BECOME A REMNANT LOW
TOMORROW.

TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 70 MILES...110 KM
FROM THE CENTER.

norbert-mon1227a.jpg - 49kB

BajaNomad - 9-8-2014 at 12:51 AM

norbert-mon1229a.jpg - 49kB

greengoes - 9-8-2014 at 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Just took my laundry in from what started out to be a beautiful sunny warm day. The clouds are rolling in, the skies are getting grey and ominous....I am close to Ensenada.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

shari - 9-8-2014 at 08:12 AM

Asuncion laundry report...it's a no go as there are still rain cells hanging about but the winds are decreasing to around 15-20...cloudy with some minute blue patches here and there. We are cleaning up sand and cutting back ruined plants that are now all withered up...boards off the windows today and finishing up working on putting together a little storm video.

Looks like Oscar might favour the gulf side. For you surfer dudes planning to go to San Juanico...the highway is open so far and I bet the north road will be OK in a few days but the thing is that Oscar may dump more rain by the weekend so keep that in mind...surf might be mushy or epic...:lol: All depends on how much rain they get in the next couple days in Baja norte. The arroyos start running fast but empty just as fast.

EnsenadaDr - 9-8-2014 at 08:26 AM

Greengoes your wife Esther hasn't aged a bit. You are a lucky man to have her washing your laundry, she must use Tide pods!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by greengoes
Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

David K - 9-8-2014 at 08:26 AM

The maps Doug just put up show Cataviña in the line of fire. Guess the bog near Mission Santa María will get recharged! Flash flood on the Gonzaga Bay side are possible. The foundations for the new Hwy. 5 bridge may get a test?

Or, it may be all dry before getting there?

Taken just a few minutes ago...

[Edited on 9-8-2014 by David K]

wilderone - 9-8-2014 at 09:15 AM

Yikes - it's heading for San Diego. Some rain from this would be welcomed.

bajajudy - 9-8-2014 at 09:27 AM

Quote:

Looks like Oscar might favour the gulf side.

I think it is Odile
And I am getting my laundry done in the next few days cause it doesn't look good for this weekend!

Bob and Susan - 9-8-2014 at 09:55 AM

buy a dryer...it doesn't use that much propane

bajajudy - 9-8-2014 at 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
buy a dryer...it doesn't use that much propane

NO way.
I love hanging out my clothes and they smell sooooo good.

David K - 9-8-2014 at 10:28 AM

Interesting that the hurricane satellite image I posted updates... It was like an 8:10 am image and just now it is a 10:18 image, and looks bigger than earlier!

High clouds here in San Diego North County with rain predicted later through Tuesday, as of last night's news.

micah202 - 9-8-2014 at 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Interesting that the hurricane satellite image I posted updates... It was like an 8:10 am image and just now it is a 10:18 image, and looks bigger than earlier!

High clouds here in San Diego North County with rain predicted later through Tuesday, as of last night's news.

...the weather-underground images do the same updating.
....models predict the winds to totally drop before the thing goes anywhere---methinks precip is a different story,,,there should be a marked effect on sources of 'hot-air' coming from the border regions over the next few days :yes:;)

Zola - 9-8-2014 at 11:22 AM

I have confirmed word that the south road from las Insurgentes to San Juanico is flooded in parts. Two of my friends made the drive but said it was harrowing and that they had to cross an arroyo. There is also an 80% chance that there will be a new tropical storm or hurricane forming within the next several days, per the National Hurricane Center, and add to that possible heavy rains near El Rosario and San Quintin. Proceed or choose not to proceed accordingly. San Juanico itself was not hit very hard by Norbert, but there was a lot of rain in the mountains.

EnsenadaDr - 9-8-2014 at 11:48 AM

If I didn't know better I would say what a beautiful picture David K!!
 Pages:  1    3