BajaNomad

Megadrought Predictions

Pages:  1    3    5

David K - 3-6-2015 at 02:27 PM

When man thinks he is greater or more pwerful than God, that's really scary and ignorant.

Sweetwater - 3-6-2015 at 02:44 PM

When man continues to display active ignorance and expects God to cover for his indiscretions and ignorant behaviours, that not only scary, it's stupid.....

Of course, the USGS must have hatched this 108 year old data just to satisfy Gods ability to hurry up and fix the problems that humans have created.....

wessongroup - 3-6-2015 at 03:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  
Quote: Originally posted by bezzell  
Where else have you seen such a colossal display of utter ignorance ... ??:no:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/06/jim-inhofe-genesis_...
It's pretty sad when the chairman of the Environment and Public Works Committee, sites scripture as the reason to disregard science.

Which could be viewed as a significant "flaw" in our current system of government ... which would allow an individual lacking in all area's of necessary knowledge in the "field" of environmental science and/or planning, for the future ... being placed into this position, at THIS time ... :biggrin::biggrin:

Kinda like the guy that was in charge of the Department of Interior ... who allowed for the "drilling" on leases in the Gulf of Mexico .... without proper "controls" in place to preclude a "release" from those same "drilling" operations ... i.e. BP

Must say, it does pose a glimmer of hope for Pete ... in a government job :lol::lol:

[Edited on 3-6-2015 by wessongroup]

Barry A. - 3-6-2015 at 03:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Sweetwater  
When man continues to display active ignorance and expects God to cover for his indiscretions and ignorant behaviours, that not only scary, it's stupid.....

Of course, the USGS must have hatched this 108 year old data just to satisfy Gods ability to hurry up and fix the problems that humans have created.....

I can't figure out how to evaluate the contents of this map--------need to show "Table 1" which explains the Index numbers.

Barry

vgabndo - 3-6-2015 at 04:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
When man thinks he is greater or more pwerful than God, that's really scary and ignorant.

You have said a lot of things I thought were really ignorant, arrogant, narcissistic, fabricated, mis-informed, and delusional in your FORTY-THREE THOUSAND posts and countless selfies on this forum. This one takes the cake! HOWEVER, it isn't a show stopper. If your really want to prove that the most intelligent and educated people on the planet are wrong and you are right you need to recite the official nine word mantra. God said it, I believe it, that settles it.

That's the one that really refutes the last few thousand years of science.

If that sounds harsh, it is just my reaction to seeing you call me ignorant.

SFandH - 3-6-2015 at 04:51 PM

Where else have you seen such a colossal display of utter ignorance ... ??:no:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/06/jim-inhofe-genesis_...
It's pretty sad when the chairman of the Environment and Public Works Committee, sites scripture as the reason to disregard science.

The guy is 80 years old. I bet nobody takes him seriously. I've read that seniority plays a big part in Senate committee appointments. It's believable.

He'll be pushing up daisies, like us all, sooner than later.

[Edited on 3-6-2015 by SFandH]

David K - 3-6-2015 at 06:18 PM

If you don't like what I say, I won't cry if you don't read me Perry. There is no need to call names or be sour. I know you are an atheist, but my comment wasn't targeting you at all. To me 'God' is 'everything' and not necessarily some all powerful deity. The earth (Nature), the heavens (or space), the air we breathe, when I say what I did, it is based on scientific fact. Man is not more powerful than EVERYTHING (the stuff that actually changes climate and controls the weather). <(that is a period)

SFandH - 3-6-2015 at 06:52 PM

Thanks for your opinion David K.

vgabndo - 3-6-2015 at 07:33 PM

David, I seldom open your posts, but you keep intruding yourself into otherwise reasoned discussions with your unmitigated woo woo. The activities of man, and I consider myself part of that description, have clearly overcome the powers of nature (your God) and caused changes in the earth's climate. Whether or not that is true isn't even an argument any more. To acknowledge the overwhelming scientific consensus that humans are changing the climate is the antithesis of ignorance. Whether or not I believe that cows are holy, or that Pat Robertson is the sharpest knife in the drawer has no bearing on the facts. Your choice to call the natural world God is confusing at best, your choice to deny the reality of human caused climate change is...well...sorry to say...ignorant. You aren't unintelligent, you COULD fix that.

Ateo - 3-6-2015 at 07:33 PM

When it comes to pretty much anything in life, we trust the experts.

Have a car with a blown engine? Trust a mechanic.

Have a toothache? Trust a dentist.

Have a missing arm after a horrible car accident? Trust a doctor.

Need to fly your probe to a dwarf planet? Trust Nasa.

Need to study the climate and make conclusions? Trust the scientists who are experts in this field.

All of us are experts in one thing or the other right?

How does it feel when you hear someone with no experience or expertise comment on something in your line of work? Generally, you may want to laugh in their face. Hopefully, you're willing to point out where they're wrong and educate them.

Can you imagine a group of climate scientists observing this thread?

SFandH - 3-6-2015 at 08:17 PM

Good post Ateo. IMHO the folks doubting anthropomorphic climate change are driven by politics, not by rational thinking. The greenhouse effect is a simple, well understood phenomenon. Look at Venus, hotter than Mercury even though Mercury is closer to the Sun. Greenhouse gases are the cause.

David K - 3-6-2015 at 08:21 PM

Which scientists? The ones who rely on government (taxpayers) to get paid (and will naturally say anything to keep the funding coming) or the true-independent climatologists, who don't need to screw up reports and turn graphs around to "make their fact look true".

Real science is the CONTINUED evaluation of data and they know the results are dynamic with new data. No real scientist can say the opinions of a few big government types are set in stone. How many devastating winters does the East Coast need to stop believing in Global Warming... enough to admit it wasn't warming any more than it is cooling in winter? A big whoop was made when they said we had the hottest year on record (it was a HALF degree above a previous RECORDED high)... but how long have they had accurate temperature recordings, 100 years? How long has man walked the planet, and made fires, a million???

In the 1970's "scientists" said we were entering a new ICE AGE and tried to think of ways to WARM the planet. The Soviet Union was proposing placing a magnifying glass in orbit over Siberia!

Sea levels rising was predicted by these "scientists"... WHEN? All at once? Because the level of the sea is still the same.

THE TRUTH? Well maybe we should live clean and not eat meat, and drive a Prius... but sacrifice all you want and hand over more money to the government... the climate will still do whatever it was going to do anyway... and the millions of people in India, China, and most everywhere else are not going to do ANYTHING different.

I just want my fellow Nomad amigos to THINK for themselves, use your own observations, and not blindly be led about by some big government talker who flies all around in his/her own jet and maintains mansions with heated pools while insisting YOU are responsible for global warming and you must sacrifice and you must pay more for energy.

Please stay free and independent, don't become mind-numbed robots spreading this junk science all based on theory and conjecture.

Have a great weekend!:light:

for what its worth

captkw - 3-6-2015 at 09:34 PM

The local news here (Monterey ca.) said today that NOAA has declared a EL nino is here... but tooo Late,,tooo weird !! and no help for the DROUGHT !! that's a quote...LOL !! wasn't NOAA a guy on a boat with two of a bunch of animal's ?? BTW the ocean surface temp. is 57/59F wich is way high !! salmon will be down in the mud (300FT) and then heading north FAST !!

[Edited on 3-7-2015 by captkw]

bajadogs - 3-6-2015 at 10:11 PM

Which scientists? The ones who rely on government (taxpayers) to get paid (and will naturally say anything to keep the funding coming) or the true-independent climatologists, who don't need to screw up reports and turn graphs around to "make their fact look true".

Real science is the CONTINUED evaluation of data and they know the results are dynamic with new data. No real scientist can say the opinions of a few big government types are set in stone. How many devastating winters does the East Coast need to stop believing in Global Warming... enough to admit it wasn't warming any more than it is cooling in winter? A big whoop was made when they said we had the hottest year on record (it was a HALF degree above a previous RECORDED high)... but how long have they had accurate temperature recordings, 100 years? How long has man walked the planet, and made fires, a million???

In the 1970's "scientists" said we were entering a new ICE AGE and tried to think of ways to WARM the planet. The Soviet Union was proposing placing a magnifying glass in orbit over Siberia!

Sea levels rising was predicted by these "scientists"... WHEN? All at once? Because the level of the sea is still the same.

THE TRUTH? Well maybe we should live clean and not eat meat, and drive a Prius... but sacrifice all you want and hand over more money to the government... the climate will still do whatever it was going to do anyway... and the millions of people in India, China, and most everywhere else are not going to do ANYTHING different.

I just want my fellow Nomad amigos to THINK for themselves, use your own observations, and not blindly be led about by some big government talker who flies all around in his/her own jet and maintains mansions with heated pools while insisting YOU are responsible for global warming and you must sacrifice and you must pay more for energy.

Please stay free and independent, don't become mind-numbed robots spreading this junk science all based on theory and conjecture.

Have a great weekend!:light:

David, stop. Your ignorance isn't even good enough for off-topic.

bajadogs - 3-6-2015 at 10:26 PM

This may be the most insane non-Baja related statement you have ever made David. Doug, can you ban this nut job? :o Maybe at least tell him to drag his crap to OFF-TOPIC where he belongs!!!

LancairDriver - 3-6-2015 at 11:16 PM

DK sure brings out the rabid name callers and mainstream media Kool Aid drinkers. If there was at least one achiever in any area in the group with any personal credibility engaging in this drivel it would be more interesting than disgusting. Can't disagreement with another opinion simply be ignored or at least respond with facts or personal observations instead of childish name calling? It is amazing how small minds respond to minor irritations.

wessongroup - 3-7-2015 at 12:29 AM

Still an important discussion which needs to be "chewed" on, as it is and/or will be impacting the way we were brought up and how our children's, children will be "viewing" things in 29-35 years .... I'll be long done as will many posting here

On the facts thingy .... if some really want them .. facts and all the rest can be found here ... http://www.pnas.org

And Publish or die, is also true in the field of science, be it private or government ... so if they ain't publishing their "work" ... what does that mean in the scope of things :lol::lol:

Working in private industry, is much different than government work ... and really different if ya run your own business and make a living at it ... :biggrin::biggrin: will say, they get much the same in job description ... the bigger the numbers ... :):)

I'm still hoping things will change, and with changes, that are workable and reasonable for all ... kinda like "rice stubble" burning in the Central Valley

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0269749109...

Never easy .. but, when ya can't breath ... ya have to do something :lol::lol:

[Edited on 3-7-2015 by wessongroup]

David K - 3-7-2015 at 07:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
DK sure brings out the rabid name callers and mainstream media Kool Aid drinkers. If there was at least one achiever in any area in the group with any personal credibility engaging in this drivel it would be more interesting than disgusting. Can't disagreement with another opinion simply be ignored or at least respond with facts or personal observations instead of childish name calling? It is amazing how small minds respond to minor irritations.

Thank you...
The freedom to say "use your own observations" when analyzing this topic is really that ignorant or threatening? Is asking you to not believe all that is said by your government 'masters' cause to ban me? Is this the People's Republic of Baja Nomad where we cannot question authority?

I hear opinions all the time, but don't lash out with personal insults because I don't agree... If I want you to think about a different idea on the subject, I try to offer some facts or good argument, but I have never called anyone here ignorant or any other of the names used on me. An idea might be stupid, but the person is not for sharing it. Is hearing something that doesn't tow the government line really threaten you?

mtgoat666 - 3-7-2015 at 08:10 AM

:lol::lol:

mtgoat666 - 3-7-2015 at 08:14 AM

I have never called anyone here ignorant or any other of the names used on me.

David K - 3-7-2015 at 09:03 AM

Instead of laughing icons, do you have any proof? I would rather apologize for something I really did than something you think I did.

MMc - 3-7-2015 at 09:17 AM

I am amazed how many post wind up focused on DK and what he believes.

mtgoat666 - 3-7-2015 at 10:11 AM

Instead of laughing icons, do you have any proof? I would rather apologize for something I really did than something you think I did.

Proof? Isn't that what this thread is about?

Re proof about dk's insults, I will leave that to other researchers.

:lol::no::smug::O;D:wow::yawn:;D:P:o:(:D:):dudette::tumble::spingrin::yes::biggrin::bounce::barf:;):cool:

vgabndo - 3-7-2015 at 10:40 AM

Yeah sure, you could start by apologizing to anyone covered by your blanket statement that anyone who didn't believe that your God's work couldn't be altered by humans was ignorant.

I read your response this morning and focused on your highly evolved argument that global sea levels were not rising because YOU didn't notice any difference, through personal observation, when you stood on the beach. I even went so far as to do a little reading about the more than 20 years of international science data that proves you wrong. I'm speaking of the TOPEX/Poseidon mission in the early 90's, continuing with the first Jason satellite, then on to Jason 2, and stopped reading when I learned how many more measurements of different kinds in the last few years had confirmed those findings. I invite you to read a recent United Nations report about the effect of sea level rise on the 42 (SIDS) member states. It wouldn't surprise me if you claimed that Al Gore had paid all these people to lie about their research. For that reason I came to my senses and decided to present some relevant Nomad research of my own.

I no longer believe that the fish tacos at Tacos don Ramon across from the ball park in Bahia Asuncion are the best in BCS. As a result of larger fish portions, (obvious by visual observation), a larger selection of unique salsas,(same method of data collection), and a less salty batter recipe, (strictly a subjective determination) I have concluded that it is worth considering that the fish tacos at Tacos la Baja, in Vizcaino are a superior variety. As a result of the prohibitive 148 mile round trip to Tacos la Baja, I will be satisfied today with these local things! I feel sorry for you for several reasons, but today I will limit that to feeling sorry that you can't stroll through this delightful little Mexican fishing village and order some for yourself.

1419111747036.jpg - 33kB

monoloco - 3-7-2015 at 10:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by vgabndo  
Yeah sure, you could start by apologizing to anyone covered by your blanket statement that anyone who didn't believe that your God's work couldn't be altered by humans was ignorant.

I read your response this morning and focused on your highly evolved argument that global sea levels were not rising because YOU didn't notice any difference, through personal observation, when you stood on the beach. I even went so far as to do a little reading about the more than 20 years of international science data that proves you wrong. I'm speaking of the TOPEX/Poseidon mission in the early 90's, continuing with the first Jason satellite, then on to Jason 2, and stopped reading when I learned how many more measurements of different kinds in the last few years had confirmed those findings. I invite you to read a recent United Nations report about the effect of sea level rise on the 42 (SIDS) member states. It wouldn't surprise me if you claimed that Al Gore had paid all these people to lie about their research. For that reason I came to my senses and decided to present some relevant Nomad research of my own.

I no longer believe that the fish tacos at Tacos don Ramon across from the ball park in Bahia Asuncion are the best in BCS. As a result of larger fish portions, (obvious by visual observation), a larger selection of unique salsas,(same method of data collection), and a less salty batter recipe, (strictly a subjective determination) I have concluded that it is worth considering that the fish tacos at Tacos la Baja, in Vizcaino are a superior variety. As a result of the prohibitive 148 mile round trip to Tacos la Baja, I will be satisfied today with these local things! I feel sorry for you for several reasons, but today I will limit that to feeling sorry that you can't stroll through this delightful little Mexican fishing village and order some for yourself.
Unlike the oil companies and the altruistic "climate realists" whose motives are only the truth, those self serving money grubbing "climate scientists" have much to lose if they were to actually release accurate data.:lol:

vgabndo - 3-7-2015 at 11:26 AM

There has been a call to pay attention to the INDEPENDENT scientists who are not being paid off by the government for lying about human caused climate change. Let me introduce one of the most prominent of those scientists. Wei-Hock Soon known as Willie Soon. This man is one of the most visible deniers of the present scientific consensus. Recent freedom of information act documents reveal why Soon would make such statements. It seems he was paid 1.2 MILLION dollars by the fossil fuel industry to write reports helpful to their polluting cause.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/22/us/ties-to-corporate-cash-...

David K - 3-7-2015 at 12:10 PM

The San Cosme Hot Springs (in rocks), is still the same point above sea level... How come? Is Baja tilting perhaps?

vgabndo - 3-7-2015 at 12:21 PM

The San Cosme Hot Springs (in rocks), is still the same point above sea level... How come? Is Baja tilting perhaps?

Woo hoo, you blew a few hundred million dollars worth of high tech scientific equipment out of the sky with that personal observation. Are you on the oil company's payroll like like the independent scientist Willie Soon? :lol::lol:

I'm waiting for you to defend Willie Soon and to provide documentation that the Ocean Surface Topography Mission is all falsified data created by a giant multi-national conspiracy to make you look foolish.

monoloco - 3-7-2015 at 12:30 PM

Land masses are not static, in some places sea levels are falling in relation to land marks. It is impossible to make any conclusions about sea levels from casual observations on an occasional basis, that is why scientists measure sea levels using sophisticated instrumentation and satellite data. Last summer in Alaska, I had the opportunity to spend a few days with a team of NOAA scientists who maintain the equipment that measures sea levels on west coast and the pacific, they weren't overtly political or fear mongering, and definitely were not getting rich off having a particular view point. They told me that the equipment that they monitor definitely shows that we are seeing a rise in sea levels. One thing to remember is, that in scale, the atmosphere of the earth is approximately equal to Saran Wrap around a basketball.

Barry A. - 3-7-2015 at 12:35 PM

A warning from a Scientist:

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/01/14/mit-professor-urging-c...

Enter into your search engine "MIT professor on global warming" to see more links.

Barry

vgabndo - 3-7-2015 at 12:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  

Enter into your search engine "MIT professor on global warming" to see more links.

Barry

Do another Google search and learn that Richard Lindzen, whom you cite, is one of the tiny 3% who cling to a belief in opposition to the scientific consensus. You will also find plenty of information about how he has also been on the oil company's payrolls for years. He has recently claimed that he is no longer on Exxon/Mobil's payroll. His oil company opinions were discredited many pages ago in this thread.

[Edited on 3-7-2015 by vgabndo]

Barry A. - 3-7-2015 at 01:40 PM

Barry

Do another Google search and learn that Richard Lindzen, whom you cite, is one of the tiny 3% who cling to a belief in opposition to the scientific consensus. You will also find plenty of information about how he has also been on the oil company's payrolls for years. He has recently claimed that he is no longer on Exxon/Mobil's payroll. His oil company opinions were discredited many pages ago in this thread.

[Edited on 3-7-2015 by vgabndo]

MIT seems to like him. Last time I checked MIT and it's staff was a fairly accredited school in "technical matters".

My only point is that reputable people disagree or caution us about going with the apparent/obvious consensus, and are worth listening too, IMO. This matter is too important, and with horrendous consequences if not gotten right, either way.

The insults and character assassination directed at those that question conventional wisdom is astounding and very disappointing, especially when it comes from those that preach tolerance and understanding of others.

Barry

norte - 3-7-2015 at 02:11 PM

Lindzen retired in 2013. Besides, God will send a message to David if and when the sea levels are rising.

bezzell - 3-7-2015 at 02:14 PM

MIT seems to like him. Last time I checked MIT and it's staff was a fairly accredited school in "technical matters".

MIT might 'like' their former professor, but their position runs contrary to Lindzen's!

Geez. You guys are entertaining, that's for sure!

Barry A. - 3-7-2015 at 02:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
Lindzen retired in 2013. Besides, God will send a message to David if and when the sea levels are rising.

Retired, eh. No wonder he is now able to give his REAL view on matters without fear of damage caused by the retribution and ridicule from his (tolerant) Liberal peers which has already begun. :biggrin:

As for your comments about David and God--------I think I hear thunder------------and possibly being listed by ISIS for neck-chopping or fire.

Be careful out there as you will get no help or sympathy from the Pres. on matters such as this. :o

Barry

David K - 3-7-2015 at 03:03 PM

Woo hoo, you blew a few hundred million dollars worth of high tech scientific equipment out of the sky with that personal observation. Are you on the oil company's payroll like like the independent scientist Willie Soon? :lol::lol:

I'm waiting for you to defend Willie Soon and to provide documentation that the Ocean Surface Topography Mission is all falsified data created by a giant multi-national conspiracy to make you look foolish.

Someday, you might have a real objective view of this and not dismiss actual observation in favor of political correctness? You are obviously not happy unless I submit to popular culture that the world is being destroyed by man and that man can reverse natural events, right?

Climate has changed for billions of years, man has nothing to do with it, and climate is still changing (but not as drastic as some try and make you think).

No matter how powerful you make government, it won't CHANGE the climate... other than keep you poor and submissive.

The roads that splashed in the hide tide water, the street where I grew up on the beach, and everywhere else I can see in the past 50 years is STILL the same elevation above or at sea level. If the ocean rose the length of a cigarette in 100 years (the scientific claim), while the moon moves the ocean several feet up and down daily, is that REALLY a crisis???

Come on, I hope there is still enough intelligence out there that you just don't hand over your life to the party.

norte - 3-7-2015 at 03:13 PM

Retired, eh. No wonder he is now able to give his REAL view on matters without fear of damage caused by the retribution and ridicule from his (tolerant) Liberal peers which has already begun. :biggrin:

As for your comments about David and God--------I think I hear thunder------------and possibly being listed by ISIS for neck-chopping or fire.

Be careful out there as you will get no help or sympathy from the Pres. on matters such as this. :o

Barry

I am sure the families of the departed would appreciate your IS (ISIS) comment.. Back to the topic and comments relative to GOD and climate, how would anyone not believe that the things that human beings do would effect the environment and climate. It seems rather obvious, whether it be consuming resources or contributing to the state of nature through byproducts of consumption.

David K - 3-7-2015 at 03:21 PM

Norte, when just one volcano erupts, it dwarfs all of man's pollution in output... and volcanoes erupt all over the world since the beginning of time. Nature has a mechanism to balance this. Every so often, Nature 're-boots', so watch out... there's NOTHING you can do about that!

I hate pollution and I don't even smoke, never have, I love the outdoors... so because I am against big government, taxing the working people to death, and insane regulations on life, does NOT mean I am for polluting corporations or polluting government operations (too many dirty socialist run industries in the rest of the world to name).

blackwolfmt - 3-7-2015 at 03:34 PM

Norte, when just one volcano erupts, it dwarfs all of man's pollution in output... and volcanoes erupt all over the world since the beginning of time. Nature has a mechanism to balance this. Every so often, Nature 're-boots', so watch out... there's NOTHING you can do about that!

I hate pollution and I don't even smoke, never have, I love the outdoors... so because I am against big government, taxing the working people to death, and insane regulations on life, does NOT mean I am for polluting corporations or polluting government operations (too many dirty socialist run industries in the rest of the world to name).

5061591.gif - 83kB

norte - 3-7-2015 at 03:36 PM

David, you are right...there may be a natural balance to out world...that we should not be messing with. That is the whole point...., it appears we may be upsetting this natural balance through our indiscriminate actions that you describe.

David K - 3-7-2015 at 03:38 PM

So let's go to Baja and enjoy it before it is underwater or covered in evil corporate pollution!

monoloco - 3-7-2015 at 03:42 PM

It's estimated that volcanos emit about 200 million tons of CO2 into the atmosphere annually, while the burning of fossil fuels contribute 26.8 BILLION tons annually. So while the earth can easily handle the amount of CO2 that volcanos emit, I seriously doubt that the more than 1000 times more produced by humans will not have some kind of significant effect on the global climate.

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/volcanowatch/archive/2007/07_02_15.ht...

wessongroup - 3-7-2015 at 03:54 PM

Here are some of Professor Richard Lindzen, of MIT, thoughts as published at the National Academy of Science

Simple search using the individuals name

http://www.pnas.org/search?fulltext=Richard+S.+Lindzen&s...

Draw you own conclusions ... that is still allowed :biggrin::biggrin:

Barry A. - 3-7-2015 at 04:10 PM

Barry

I am sure the families of the departed would appreciate your IS (ISIS) comment.. Back to the topic and comments relative to GOD and climate, how would anyone not believe that the things that human beings do would effect the environment and climate. It seems rather obvious, whether it be consuming resources or contributing to the state of nature through byproducts of consumption.

Norte------your first sentence here simply does not compute to me------why would they "not appreciate" what I said about ISIS???? But I think it reasonable to conclude that your sarcasm about God and David could be offensive to believers worldwide and from every denomination (100's of millions).

Of COURSE what humans do affects the environment-------Few would argue with THAT----- but we are a PART of that environment!!! not apart from it, and not "bad"!!! EVERYTHING effects the environment. All the apparent panic and anxiety about human impact is, to me, simply absurd. We each should do what we can to reasonably minimize any recognized adverse consequence of our actions (and I do), but certainly not turn the economy of the world on it's ear in an attempt to mitigate a possible impact when that effort would, even if taken to extreme measures, affect the outcome by less than 3% + - ------to me THAT is just insane, and I will vigorously oppose it.

I am not a "climate change" denier, but I certainly am very skeptical of the scope and impact of man's involvement, and am also skeptical that it is significant long-term----especially considering there is little we can do about it.

In other words, there is a lot of hand-wringing going on, and it's counter-productive and potentially damaging.

But yes, we in the SW are in a drought-------of that I have no doubt---------but this too will pass (or not) if history is any indication, and I highly doubt that man has much to do with it. Trying to legislate the outcome is an exercise in futility and would lead to partial but serious economic ruin!!! Mankind WILL adapt if the cosmos don't kill us first-------the latter not our choice, but the former certainly is.

Barry

wessongroup - 3-7-2015 at 04:22 PM

It is after all a matter of "scale" ...

One billion people ... compared to _________ billion

And they all require: food, water, shelter, medicine et al

The larger the scale, the greater the impact ... kinda like comets, volcanoes and individual species .. they all have "impact" ... just a matter of the "scale" of the impact :biggrin::biggrin:

Barry A. - 3-7-2015 at 04:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wessongroup  
It is after all a matter of "scale" ...

One billion people ... compared to _________ billion

And they all require: food, water, shelter, medicine et al

The larger the scale, the greater the impact ... kinda like comets, volcanoes and individual species .. they all have "impact" ... just a matter of the "scale" of the impact :biggrin::biggrin:

Yep, you are soooo right!!! In my business I recall the impact of thousands of cattle over-grazing the public lands---------HUGE impact. But in time, all returns to balance when the cattle are no longer there----but it sure takes longer in the case of "comets, volcanoes" and other disasters. That pesky sun is scary, too.

Life on Earth is so fragile, even without mankind trying to manipulate things.

Barry

Cliffy - 3-7-2015 at 05:35 PM

Land masses have been moving on Earth for 5 billion years. Up and down and sideways. Let's go back to Pangea.
O2 levels were way higher and the climate lots warmer in the days of dinosaurs. Dino-farts?
We had an ice age 10 or 12,000 years ago with ice down to Alabama.
It seems to have warmed up since then, all on its own.
Millions of species have died off on Earth from its conception without man's intervention. Natural evolution?
All of this was without the "help" of man.
There's been no warming trend for last 18 years by all accounts.
To extrapolate that 20 or 30 years of "observations" into "it's man's fault" is a stretch when all of man's time on earth is but a blink of the eye in Earth time.
My postulation remains- "Why is man's existence on Earth considered an anomaly rather than just another natural evolutionary process of the earth.
To think that man has an affect on the total Earth's viability over the long term is pure folly. Even if it has an effect, it's still a natural evolutionary process!
The sky is not falling.

wessongroup - 3-7-2015 at 05:53 PM

Saw much the same with Ag land in CA and many other states where we saw huge growth in the 60s and 70s and of course in the 90s and up just past the mid way in the 2000s ..

We have been "planting" house and/or buildings for some time ... there is after all, only so much good land to grow on ... or "raise" cattle ... which is important too

Not sure if "more" will turn the corner on this one ... :biggrin::biggrin:

As for trends ... this still says quite a bit .. IMHO as it relates to "scale"

Barry A. - 3-7-2015 at 06:21 PM

What's the theory for the cause of the 5 spikes in CO2 which seem pretty cyclic during the past 650K years, do you know?

Barry

Cliffy - 3-7-2015 at 07:21 PM

What was it 200, 300 or 400,000,000 years ago?
Even 350,000 years ago is but minute fraction of time since the dinosaurs.
Would we watch 3 mins of the stock ticker and then predict what the market will do 20 years from now knowing its past history?
Too little information monitored over too short a time span to make determinate predictions.
Follow the money.

Barry A. - 3-7-2015 at 08:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  
What was it 200, 300 or 400,000,000 years ago?
Even 350,000 years ago is but minute fraction of time since the dinosaurs.
Would we watch 3 mins of the stock ticker and then predict what the market will do 20 years from now knowing its past history?
Too little information monitored over too short a time span to make determinate predictions.
Follow the money.

Excellent points!!!! Many totally known variables propel the Market and we still can't figure it out, and the climate is vastly more complicated and unknown.

Barry

wessongroup - 3-7-2015 at 08:35 PM

The "spike" which is causing the "concern" ... isn't any of those .... those are BELOW that one line, which covers the time frame being discussed from sampling and hence of no immediate concern to all life and/or all the environment as we know and understand it, at this time

The ice core sample represent the environment for over 650,00 years as it relates to "CO2" levels found in the atmosphere ... ya know the air :biggrin::biggrin:

And the spike of concern, centers on 1950 when consumption of fossil fuels used increased about 10 million barrels a day

Or at lest that is the way I see and understand it ... which is unusual, I'm not usually in step with the majority thought in most cases ... :):)

Take it easy ... going to go watch ... Band of Brothers

Barry A. - 3-7-2015 at 09:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wessongroup  
The "spike" which is causing the "concern" ... isn't any of those .... those are BELOW that one line, which covers the time frame being discussed from sampling and hence of no immediate concern to all life and/or all the environment as we know and understand it, at this time

The ice core sample represent the environment for over 650,00 years as it relates to "CO2" levels found in the atmosphere ... ya know the air :biggrin::biggrin:

And the spike of concern, centers on 1950 when consumption of fossil fuels used increased about 10 million barrels a day

Or at lest that is the way I see and understand it ... which is unusual, I'm not usually in step with the majority thought in most cases ... :):)

Take it easy ... going to go watch ... Band of Brothers

I understand all of that. What I want to know now is what caused the other 5 spikes during all that time-----do we know, or have any ideas?

Barry

bezzell - 3-7-2015 at 09:42 PM

Norte, when just one volcano erupts, it dwarfs all of man's pollution in output... and volcanoes erupt all over the world since the beginning of time.

Is this a joke? Are you deliberately trying to present yourself as an out-of-touch joke?? What's going on here??
It's 2015, and you're still crying "the volcanos, the volcanos'"!! (???)

Volcanos have released not even 1% of what man has released, since we've been busy.
Over the eons ... YES the volcanos have released more than man has AND ever will ... but that's over a 4.5 billion period !!!
What's more ... the volcano effect is actually cooling.
Such a joke :(

dtbushpilot - 3-7-2015 at 10:41 PM

400,000 years ago is a pit stop in geologic time, let's look back a bit further...

http://www.biocab.org/Carbon_Dioxide_Geological_Timescale.ht...

wessongroup - 3-8-2015 at 02:29 PM

Appear's just typing a response is getting harder and harder ... typed and then uploaded to Photobucket ..

Let us know what ya find out Barry.... I'm satisfied that there was a period of CO2 at the levels found through the ice sampling which were well below the current levels and the projected increases based on science and/or sampling/monitoring of the planet by science at this time ...

Cliffy - 3-8-2015 at 05:23 PM

Many years ago there was a big climatic scare that the "ozone hole" was coming due to Freon. So we had to drop R-12 and go to now a third higher cost refrigerant. BTW, we couldn't use butane/propane mix which is a better refrigerant than what we have now (along with no effect on the atmosphere) because DuPont held all the patents on the new stuff AND B/P is far cheaper to use also.
So what ever happened to the big scare on the ozone hole????
Where did all the money go?
What ever happened to all the "research" being paid for by tax dollars on the ozone issue?
Did it just slide over to something else more newsworthy? Something else that needed funding to keep everyone busy and paid?
It's no different than carbon offsets that Gore is making money with!
Again, follow the money!

monoloco - 3-8-2015 at 05:43 PM

Many years ago there was a big climatic scare that the "ozone hole" was coming due to Freon. So we had to drop R-12 and go to now a third higher cost refrigerant. BTW, we couldn't use butane/propane mix which is a better refrigerant than what we have now (along with no effect on the atmosphere) because DuPont held all the patents on the new stuff AND B/P is far cheaper to use also.
So what ever happened to the big scare on the ozone hole????
Where did all the money go?
What ever happened to all the "research" being paid for by tax dollars on the ozone issue?
Did it just slide over to something else more newsworthy? Something else that needed funding to keep everyone busy and paid?
It's no different than carbon offsets that Gore is making money with!
Again, follow the money!
Folks in Australia and New Zealand can tell you all about ozone depletion. They are still suffering the effects of it.

wessongroup - 3-8-2015 at 06:31 PM

As for the Ozone ... It was approach through Laws and Regulations which reduced the amount of materials that were depleting the Ozone, via compromise between Industry and Government which were intended to provide for Production of Goods and Services without shutting down the entire world

Most of the data collected was in the 70s and was finally brought to center stage with the Montreal Protocol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_Protocol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone_depletion

And it wasn't just a couple of materials ... there were many which were giving problems to: soil, water, air and other forms of life ... and still are :biggrin::biggrin:

Ask the Bee's ...

[Edited on 3-9-2015 by wessongroup]

Cliffy - 3-8-2015 at 08:38 PM

"In 1976 the United States National Academy of Sciences released a report concluding that the ozone depletion hypothesis was strongly supported by the scientific evidence. Scientists calculated that if CFC production continued to increase at the going rate of 10% per year until 1990 and then remain steady, CFCs would cause a global ozone loss of 5 to 7% by 1995, and a 30 to 50% loss by 2050. In response the United States, Canada and Norway banned the use of CFCs in aerosol spray cans in 1978. However, subsequent research, summarized by the National Academy in reports issued between 1979 and 1984, appeared to show that the earlier estimates of global ozone loss had been too large."

So as I surmise from this paragraph from the Ozone Depletion article, CFCs were banned on bad or false information. Why then do we want to depend on extrapolations today?

It's all done with extrapolations and estimates with short term observations by and with the help of special interest groups and NGOs (Greenpeace). If the referenced article is read in its entirety(as I just did) it shows scare tactics and legal arm twisting by interested parties. Politics played more of a hand than pure science

No one knows what the ozone layer looked like 200 or 300 million years ago. It could have been more or less than now. Over the life span of the Earth things will change and man's input MAY have some influence but my question remains- Why is man considered something foreign in the process on the world instead of just another natural phenomenon?

Again, the sky is not falling- follow the money!

SFandH - 3-9-2015 at 07:34 AM

So as I surmise from this paragraph from the Ozone Depletion article, CFCs were banned on bad or false information. Why then do we want to depend on extrapolations today?

That doesn't really follow cliffy. Just because the early estimates were higher than subsequent measurements does not mean that CFCs were not damaging the atmosphere and the ban was unwarranted.

Also, inaccurate estimates about issue "A" does not mean estimates about issue "B" are also inaccurate.

Mexitron - 3-9-2015 at 07:41 AM

What's the theory for the cause of the 5 spikes in CO2 which seem pretty cyclic during the past 650K years, do you know?

Barry

Well we know those cycles are ultimately caused by the earth's long term wobble (the procession of the equinoxes, Milankovich cycles----http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milankovitch_cycles) ---- and some mechanism or buffer is being shifted as the climate warms. Not sure what the relationship of methane to CO2 is but methane is the worst greenhouse gas pound for pound and we may have recently seen a smoking gun as we do know the arctic climate is changing more so than our temperate regions (and also the Antarctic ice cap is getting larger as the Arctic warms) ---- http://www.nature.com/news/mysterious-siberian-crater-attrib... -----

KurtG - 3-9-2015 at 08:31 AM

This article seems relevant to this discussion.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2015/03/science-doubters/a...

Good article, thanks KurtG.

SFandH - 3-9-2015 at 08:43 AM

Barry A. - 3-9-2015 at 09:12 AM

Not merely a "good article"------I think a SUPURB article.

Explains a lot!!!!

Thanks Kurtg for digging this one up, and then a huge kudo for posting it for us all to read.

Barry

Cliffy - 3-9-2015 at 09:19 AM

Because CFCs were banned on early estimates (and the estimates were bad) it has just as much viability to say that not enough is known to make extrapolations from short term observations when we are talking about an earth lifespan so far of 5 billion years.
No one can say with certainty that the ozone layer wasn't different than it is now 300 million years ago. We could be seeing just a natural evolutionary change rather than a cause and effect.
As I said, man MAY have an effect on the environment as a whole but the earth over eons has more. We're calling for Chicken Little with very little info to support the falling of the sky. It's a knee jerk reaction.
Man is just another NATURAL evolutionary process on the face of the earth as has been seen throughout its history.
I live where we find dinosaurs. I drive over 1000s of acres of fossilized oysters from hundreds of millions of years ago.
They died out just like man will eventually.
To think that we can change the evolutionary process in the short term again is folly
The Chicken Little mentality is driven as much by politics and special interest groups as science IF NOT MORE SO. Again- follow the money!
Any good statistician can prove any position.
My postulation remains- Why is man considered an anomaly to the natural evolution of the planet?

David K - 3-9-2015 at 09:41 AM

Refreshing to hear others with some common sense and not driven by drama and hysteria. The world is a lot bigger than people think and Nature is not given credit for the power it/ she has, which is far, far greater than anything man does. Humans occupy such a tiny % of the planter's surface. You don't have to go far out to sea to not see land, and that is what most of the earth is, oceans!

Of course don't trash the planet, but man isn't destroying the earth. CO2 is also a NATURAL gas, and NOT a pollutant. It is what all plants need to live!!!

Climate Change fear is a tool used by those who want your money and to run your lives. Green technology is great, but let's have it without the hypocrisy! If it is better, than people will choose it. The free market is how it will succeed, not by government mandates.

bezzell - 3-9-2015 at 09:43 AM

Of course don't trash the planet, but man isn't destroying the earth. CO2 is also a NATURAL gas, and NOT a pollutant. It is what all plants need to live!!!

:lol::lol::lol: Thanks, Einstein!! :lol::lol::lol:

monoloco - 3-9-2015 at 09:45 AM

Refreshing to hear others with some common sense and not driven by drama and hysteria. The world is a lot bigger than people think and Nature is not given credit for the power it/ she has, which is far, far greater than anything man does. Humans occupy such a tiny % of the planter's surface. You don't have to go far out to sea to not see land, and that is what most of the earth is, oceans!

Climate Change fear is a tool used by those who want your money and to run your lives. Green technology is great, but let's have it without the hypocrisy! If it is better, than people will choose it. The free market is how it will succeed, not by government mandates.
If we let the "free market" decide, we'd be getting all our power from coal because it's by far the cheapest form of energy.

David K - 3-9-2015 at 10:01 AM

So you don't trust people to want to buy cleaner energy? Don't you want to?

David K - 3-9-2015 at 10:03 AM

Hydro Electric is a lot cheaper than coal. Environmentalist have stopped dam building, however.

LancairDriver - 3-9-2015 at 10:22 AM

Now there is a truly brilliant contribution to the topic.

bezzell - 3-9-2015 at 10:29 AM

Fair enough, and obviously over your head (no offense)
In an actual greenhouse, where you're able to control ALL variables (light / temp / nutrients etc), you ARE able to increase plant growth with increased C02. BUT, in the real world ... with a myriad of variables that are not controlled ... the analogy is nothing short of ridiburrous! And excess C02 ends up being no bueno.
Stay tuned.
It's the ultimate Ni Modo.

edit ps: you're not going to start yelling 'volcanos' are ya !? :lol:

[Edited on 3-9-2015 by bezzell]

LancairDriver - 3-9-2015 at 10:58 AM

Fair enough, and obviously over your head (no offense)
In an actual greenhouse, where you're able to control ALL variables (light / temp / nutrients etc), you ARE able to increase plant growth with increased C02. BUT, in the real world ... with a myriad of variables that are not controlled ... the analogy is nothing short of ridiburrous! And excess C02 ends up being no bueno.
Stay tuned.
It's the ultimate Ni Modo.

edit ps: you're not going to start yelling 'volcanos' are ya !? :lol:

Thanks to the Internet and Google we can all now appear as experts on any topic that comes up, and can cherry pick our favorite from hundreds of sources. Pick your topic expert du jour and quote verbatim, and viola! we have instant credibility. If we want to spend even more time, we can probably find something that will discredit the original quoted expert. As this thread demonstrates this can go on endlessly.

bezzell - 3-9-2015 at 11:23 AM

Thanks to the Internet and Google we can all now appear as experts on any topic that comes up, and can cherry pick our favorite from hundreds of sources. Pick your topic expert du jour and quote verbatim, and viola! we have instant credibility..

Hence, stick to the SCIENCE from the referee journal.
Very simple.

(or, there's always Michael Savage :lol::lol: !!)

Cliffy - 3-9-2015 at 11:30 AM

Here's another of my postulations-
Why is the fate of the world (and cost) laid upon the shoulders of the most progressive countries and the others get a walk (China, India, 3rd world)? Last I checked China and India had vibrant economies.
Why do I have to pay for their "contribution to pollution" ?

Green power may be a fine goal but again at what cost and to who?

Here's one I have been researching and haven't found any info on-
Who's making money on wind farms?
Is anyone investing in them and making a return? Show me where! I'll listen to valid facts and figures.
Or is it only the ones getting Federal subsidies to manufacture and set up wind farms?
If it's so good why can't it compete on a dollar for dollar basis with traditional energy?
What are the economics of a wind farm? Hours available to generate compared to actual generating time?
How much down time due to no wind and maintenance/year?
Can't find any of these issues published
How about cost per megawatt compared to other sources? With and without subsidies factored in? Can't find that either.
If it's so good make the utilities buy wind power first over other sources.
Come on- someone show me where they are economically viable and I'll listen.

Let's talk solar panels?
Life span of panels? 10 to 15 years.
Cost recap rate vs other sources- 10 to 15 years. Net- 0 sum game.

Let's get back to coal.
I live near a coal fired power plant. Yes I can see "some" vent issues in the correct light conditions. Not much. They are now installing the newest tech stack scrubbers there to clean it even more. It can be done. We have centuries of coal available for power if we use it. And the public would benefit on a dollar basis.
The days of acid rain are over.
Its so political that there has been an on going fight to close the one near me and the problem cited by the NGOs (there we go again, biased parties) is the pollution that reduces visibility in the Grand Canyon. BUT you know what? The pollution from the power plant never gets into the Grand Canyon area as it sits 50 miles NE of the canyon and the prevailing winds always blow from the SW across the canyon and to the power plant. All the reduced viability is natural sources. Remember, the LA basin was called "the valley of the smokes" by Indians 300 years ago. We have natural pollution that obscures the visibility.

It's all driven by money, special interest groups and most notably- politics!

Years ago in LA a push was made to add pollution controls to lawn mowers no less.

monoloco - 3-9-2015 at 12:00 PM

Hydro Electric is a lot cheaper than coal. Environmentalist have stopped dam building, however.
Thank God, otherwise we'd have no wild rivers or salmon.

monoloco - 3-9-2015 at 12:08 PM

Let's talk solar panels?

I have solar panels that have been in service for almost 20 years old and are still producing over 95% of their original capacity. Those are 75 watt panels that cost around $500 a piece when new, now the cost of solar panels is less than a dollar a watt.

Barry A. - 3-9-2015 at 12:08 PM

------and in the grand scheme of things, "salmon" and "wild rivers" fit in where????

I love to fish, and ran wild and non-wild rivers professionally for years, but really?!?!?!?

Barry

Barry A. - 3-9-2015 at 12:13 PM

Let's talk solar panels?

I have solar panels that have been in service for almost 20 years old and are still producing over 95% of their original capacity. Those are 75 watt panels that cost around $500 a piece when new, now the cost of solar panels is less than a dollar a watt.

My sister and Bro-in-law installed solar on their new house in San Diego, and also in their second home in Borrego Springs, both about 20 years ago------------neither ever worked well at all, and both systems were abandoned after having thousands in supposed repairs made----------?!?!?!?!?!

Very discouraging!!! Presumably the "new" systems are improved???

Barry

Florida Leads The Way

motoged - 3-9-2015 at 12:17 PM

Florida has set a new standard....:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/florida-bans-use-of-climate-change-by-state-agency-report-says-1.2987348

DianaT - 3-9-2015 at 12:32 PM

------and in the grand scheme of things, "salmon" and "wild rivers" fit in where????

I love to fish, and ran wild and non-wild rivers professionally for years, but really?!?!?!?

Barry

More dams? The current dams in the USA are about to cost a lot of money! They are not forever. The history and effects of the Answan dam in Egypt are interesting.

This report is from MIT which you seemed to agree with as long as that one "scientist" worked there. :yes: This certainly is not the only report out there.

http://web.mit.edu/12.000/www/m2012/finalwebsite/problem/dams.shtml

The Wild River Act was passed for the same reason the Wilderness Acts were passed. It is to protect for the future some of the beautiful parts of nature that we are fortunate to have --- keep them unspoiled to be enjoyed future generations.

Which one of these rivers would you like to see stopped up with a "beautiful" new dam?

http://www.rivers.gov/

Shoot, when Mulholland gathered up the water from here for Los Angeles, he also thought the Merced in Yosemite Valley and all of the watersheds over there should be gathered up. All he could see was a lot of water going to waste. As he said, There it is, take it.

So you are not alone in thinking that more rivers should have dams.

[Edited on 3-9-2015 by DianaT]

Barry A. - 3-9-2015 at 01:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  

Barry

More dams? The current dams in the USA are about to cost a lot of money! They are not forever. The history and effects of the Answan dam in Egypt are interesting.

This report is from MIT which you seemed to agree with as long as that one "scientist" worked there. :yes: This certainly is not the only report out there.

http://web.mit.edu/12.000/www/m2012/finalwebsite/problem/dams.shtml

The Wild River Act was passed for the same reason the Wilderness Acts were passed. It is to protect for the future some of the beautiful parts of nature that we are fortunate to have --- keep them unspoiled to be enjoyed future generations.

Which one of these rivers would you like to see stopped up with a "beautiful" new dam?

http://www.rivers.gov/

Shoot, when Mulholland was up here gathering up water for Los Angeles, he popped over to Yosemite and proposed damning up the Merced in Yosemite valley because all he could see was a lot of water going to waste.

So you are not alone in thinking that more rivers should have dams.

[Edited on 3-9-2015 by DianaT]

As you surely know Diana, the subject (s) are not black and white, or either one way or the other, as you appear to presume here, but they ARE pretty simple.

I don't necessarily agree with the MIT professor on Global Warming that I posted about--------I posted it because there are conflicting opinions by learned people, and I thought that important if not interesting.

Dams do have life-spans (they fill up with silt, for one). But, to rule out all dam-building seems dogmatic and unwise, to me.

As always, it is priorities that must be decided-------again my only point is that having wild-rivers and salmon spawning may not be the most pressing priority when it comes to energy sources, and water availability, especially down the line. That is not to say I don't love both wild-rivers and salmon fishing. It's just that the ultra-enviro-crowd often are so dogmatic and unbending that they want to protect everything at the expense of man-kinds well being and survival, it often seems to me.

Again, it's all about priorities. In Owens Valley's case, water for LA was paramount, and beneficial to the most people by far to move it south from the Valley. I can except that.

Hetch-Hetchy (a similar Yosemite-Type Valley) was dammed to provide absolutely necessary water to the Bay Area-----and Yosemite Valley was saved------a logical decision, to me at least.

Don't get me started on the "Wilderness Act" and how it has been abused by the enviro's, but suffice to say I believe we have gone wayyyyyyyy overboard on setting aside supposed "Wilderness Areas" and the draconian restrictions that come with them, especially in the desert areas, and believe me I was in the thick of that.

The "Wild and Scenic River Act" has been much better managed and implemented, IMO, and I have no real problems with that one. There are still many rivers that could and should be damned.

Your first link above does not seem to work, but your second one on rivers does. (for me, at least)

Barry

[Edited on 3-9-2015 by Barry A.]

monoloco - 3-9-2015 at 02:08 PM

Barry
Barry, I was responding to DK's suggestion that we should just let the free market decide where we get our power. My point is that if we only used market based criteria, we would have dammed ALL the rivers with hydro potential long ago, we would have a lot more coal burning plants, and it's likely that solar would have never been developed. In the grand scheme of things, the salmon runs on those rivers provide employment for fishermen, 100's of millions in economic activity, and high quality protein.

[Edited on 3-9-2015 by monoloco]

monoloco - 3-9-2015 at 02:14 PM

Let's talk solar panels?

My sister and Bro-in-law installed solar on their new house in San Diego, and also in their second home in Borrego Springs, both about 20 years ago------------neither ever worked well at all, and both systems were abandoned after having thousands in supposed repairs made----------?!?!?!?!?!

Very discouraging!!! Presumably the "new" systems are improved???

Barry
We are completely off-grid, and our system has worked flawlessly. This last summer, this whole area was without power for over 3 weeks due to hurricane Odile, our system never missed a beat, even after having 2 panels blow away. I would never give up the security that our system provides.

Here is an interesting way to deal with it

Stickers - 3-9-2015 at 02:17 PM

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/florida/article1298372...

David K - 3-9-2015 at 02:23 PM

Barry, I was responding to DK's suggestion that we should just let the free market decide where we get our power. My point is that if we only used market based criteria, we would have dammed ALL the rivers with hydro potential long ago, we would have a lot more coal burning plants, and it's likely that solar would have never been developed. In the grand scheme of things, the salmon runs on those rivers provide employment for fishermen, 100's of millions in economic activity, and high quality protein.

So you don't trust people to want to buy cleaner energy? Don't you want to?

You missed my reply, or do you think only you want a clean planet and you must use government to force down the throats of everyone?

I think the majority of people want a clean planet, but most taxpayers don't want nor should have to be forced to pay more than they are already. If government were removed from the mix, energy would be cheaper.

[Edited on 3-9-2015 by David K]

AKgringo - 3-9-2015 at 02:24 PM

Don't forget that without flood control dams such as Shasta, Orville, and Folsom in California, the Sacramento River basin would be in deep water every time we got the Pineapple Express aimed at Northern CA!
We are in one of the worst winters ever for rainfall, almost all of it came in two storm systems. Without those dams, the flood damage would have probably been far more costly than the drought.
Don't get me wrong, I am more of a wild river fan, but without flood control the Sacramento Valley could not exist the way we know it now.

motoged - 3-9-2015 at 02:33 PM

..... If government were removed from the mix, energy would be cheaper.

David,

Your comments are so anti-government most of the time, I am wondering if you think we would all be better off with no "government" at all.

What amount and kind of benefits do you enjoy as a result of any form of "government" taxation and subsequent benefits provided?

Just curious, as you seem to drop your government-hater innuendos quite frequently. :?:

Barry A. - 3-9-2015 at 02:38 PM

Barry

:yes: There always seems to be "the rest of the story". Ain't it grand???? :bounce:

Barry

David K - 3-9-2015 at 03:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

David,

Your comments are so anti-government most of the time, I am wondering if you think we would all be better off with no "government" at all.

What amount and kind of benefits do you enjoy as a result of any form of "government" taxation and subsequent benefits provided?

Just curious, as you seem to drop your government-hater innuendos quite frequently. :?:

No Ged, I am not an anarchist, I am a firm believer in the Constitution and that it is the rule book for all national government activities. Government is needed at all levels in a society, but within its specified boundaries. Citizens do not need or should have a nanny government. Time to grow up and be responsible!

What history has shown: A government that governs least, governs best.
Places with the most government fail, are corrupt, or are prisons: Soviet Union, Cuba, North Korea are examples of what more government is like.

mtgoat666 - 3-9-2015 at 03:14 PM

Places with the most government fail, are corrupt, or are prisons: Soviet Union, Cuba, North Korea are examples of what more government is like.

how do you measure size of government?

here is a list of the largest governments ranked by total budget:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_government_budgets_by_c...

which of the largest governments are failing?

nothing wrong with big government if it is good government.

mtgoat666 - 3-9-2015 at 03:19 PM

Barry

:yes: There always seems to be "the rest of the story". Ain't it grand???? :bounce:

Barry

often the best things in life come with costs. like sex, drugs and rock-n-roll, goofing off, daredevil thrills, and wide open wilderness. wilderness and wild rivers may provide greater benefit to man in a natural state, a benefit that outweighs it's resource extraction value. just because you can make a buck off a natural resource does not mean mining is the best and highest use of the natural resource, eh?

Barry A. - 3-9-2015 at 03:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Barry

Barry

often the best things in life come with costs. like sex, drugs and rock-n-roll, goofing off, daredevil thrills, and wide open wilderness. wilderness and wild rivers may provide greater benefit to man in a natural state, a benefit that outweighs it's resource extraction value. just because you can make a buck off a natural resource does not mean mining is the best and highest use of the natural resource, eh?

Hmmmm, I may see our problem here, Goat. I have never paid for ANY of the things you say have a "cost", that I can think of. :lol:

Barry

monoloco - 3-9-2015 at 03:34 PM

"Cost" isn't always monetary.

Mexitron - 3-9-2015 at 04:13 PM

David,

No Ged, I am not an anarchist, I am a firm believer in the Constitution and that it is the rule book for all national government activities. Government is needed at all levels in a society, but within its specified boundaries. Citizens do not need or should have a nanny government. Time to grow up and be responsible!

Honduras is currently going through a "less" government (libertarian) experiment, perhaps you should look into this David:

http://www.economist.com/node/21541391

An opinion of a traveler there:

http://www.salon.com/2015/03/02/my_libertarian_vacation_nigh...

Barry A. - 3-9-2015 at 04:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mexitron  

David,

Honduras is currently going through a "less" government (libertarian) experiment, perhaps you should look into this David:

http://www.economist.com/node/21541391

An opinion of a traveler there:

http://www.salon.com/2015/03/02/my_libertarian_vacation_nigh...

LOL---------well, no bias or prejudice in THOSE articles in SALON / THE ECONOMIST. (righttttt) Most of the stuff the "traveler" b-tched about I can't really relate to-------never saw things that way in my travels, but whatever. Personally, I like Hong Kong. His description of the residences & businesses reminded me of Mexicali back in the '70's and '80's------don't know what it is like now, but I do know that it did not bother me then.

Different strokes for different folks.

Barry

Cliffy - 3-9-2015 at 04:42 PM

An example of going WAAAYYY overboard
Just west of Las Vegas is a wilderness area. No problem with it being there. Then someone wanted to buy an old cement mining operation about 4 miles due east of the wilderness line to build homes. All of a sudden we had to have a "Buffer Zone" of no building to "protect the border of the wilderness zone! How far do you suspect that buffer zone went to the east? You guessed it, just past the mine area.

Barry A. - 3-9-2015 at 04:51 PM

An example of going WAAAYYY overboard
Just west of Las Vegas is a wilderness area. No problem with it being there. Then someone wanted to buy an old cement mining operation about 4 miles due east of the wilderness line to build homes. All of a sudden we had to have a "Buffer Zone" of no building to "protect the border of the wilderness zone! How far do you suspect that buffer zone went to the east? You guessed it, just past the mine area.

Over-reach, always over-reach!!! So many tolerable, or even good ideas have been screwed up by "over-reach"!!! Drives me nuts!!! And some wonder why I am so skeptical of the eco-folks and their ideas---------because of examples like you, Cliffy, just cited.

Barry

[Edited on 3-9-2015 by Barry A.]

motoged - 3-9-2015 at 09:58 PM

David,

[/rquote]

What history has shown: A government that governs least, governs best......

David,
Well, I did not suggest you were an anarchist....an anachronism, perhaps, but not an anarchist....:lol:

But you didn't reply as to "What amount and kind of benefits do you enjoy as a result of any form of "government" taxation and subsequent benefits provided?"....and which of those services/benefits would not be in effect in your minimalist government ?

Pages:  1    3    5