BajaNomad

Tropical Storm John

Pages:  1  2    4    6

tehag - 9-2-2006 at 08:12 AM

Just checked NOAA update: John is downgraded to a Cat1. Track is still uncertain. Hurricane warning both coasts for 200 miles or so from storm center.

Still raining here, heavy then light then heavy. Lots of water on the ground. Davis and La Pinta are both running curb to curb.

[Edited on 9-2-2006 by tehag]

Bruce R Leech - 9-2-2006 at 08:29 AM

I am really getting concerned that we have not herd anything from La Paz and south:o

[Edited on 9-2-2006 by Bruce R Leech]

oldjack - 9-2-2006 at 08:45 AM

ROAD REPORT WANTED

Where or from whom can I get good information regarding road conditions from the airport to Los Barriles.... I would like to get to Buenas Aires and see if I have anything left...

Anyone have an email for Gustavo Cota(mayor of Los Barriles)???????????

Diver - 9-2-2006 at 08:49 AM

Just found this posted on the AP hotline about 30 mintes ago;

The hurricane knocked out electricity, downed trees and sent billboards flying Saturday in La Paz, a state capital of more than 150,000 people.

One man whose vehicle was swept away by a surge of water was found alive about three miles away, clinging to tree branches. He was in stable condition at a local hospital, said Los Cabos government spokesman Jorge Castaneda.

Mexico extended hurricane warnings northward along the east of the peninsula to the community of Mulege and as far as Punta Abreojos on the west coast. The storm was expected to gradually weaken while heading up the Gulf of California before crossing the narrow stretch of land and heading out to sea.

Bruce R Leech - 9-2-2006 at 08:51 AM

right now we are not Herring anything from that Arie. I would say don't plan on flying in for a while

Al G - 9-2-2006 at 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oldjack
ROAD REPORT WANTED

Where or from whom can I get good information regarding road conditions from the airport to Los Barriles.... I would like to get to Buenas Aires and see if I have anything left...

Anyone have an email for Gustavo Cota(mayor of Los Barriles)???????????

Amigo, This board may be your best bet as Nomads check in.
Some are out now looking around. Maybe one could go and check for you.

Bob and Susan - 9-2-2006 at 08:56 AM

Bruce...what's mulege look like?

BajaNews - 9-2-2006 at 09:23 AM

3-day forecasted track as of 8am Saturday:

BajaNews - 9-2-2006 at 09:24 AM

Through 7:30am Saturday:

Bruce R Leech - 9-2-2006 at 09:24 AM

light rain off and on light breeze gusting to 8kts moderate overcast.

at the moment all rodes from the highway in to Mulege are blocked by broken trucks :o

Mulege is closed for now by not storm related things.

Carol - 9-2-2006 at 09:30 AM

Telmex Building Camera in La Paz is operating but doesn't show much, except for a lot of water and dreer.

http://www.vialidad.telmex.net/vialidad.php?url=/bcs/bcs.php

[Edited on 9-2-2006 by Carol]

Bajabus - 9-2-2006 at 10:00 AM

Still no word here from anyone along the east cape road. In particular the area from Los Zacatitos to Miramar which is just past Cabo Pulmo. I bet that road is just trashed. I wonder how the palo escopeta road held up.

Bruce R Leech - 9-2-2006 at 10:12 AM

I sure thought we would here from someone down there before this :O

raining hard in Mulege now.

our satellite link to the Bank card co. is still up lots of people getting money before the storm hits

[Edited on 9-2-2006 by Bruce R Leech]

Loreto arroyo w/John on the way

bill erhardt - 9-2-2006 at 10:18 AM

Looking north on Manuel Pineda in Colonia Zaragosa across the arryo to Loreto at 11:00 a.m. this morning. I guess I won't go to the Pescador after all.

El Jefe - 9-2-2006 at 10:19 AM

It went right by our place on the east cape, but alas we are up in Alta California visiting family. So all we can do is wait for reports like everyone else. No idea if our communication dishes on the roof survived. We had boarded up before we left for el norte. Que sera, sera.

Lou wrote that he was going to go out and inspect the area today, so we should hear from him later on. We will hope for the best.

Tom

Larry...after the tour...

Jack Swords - 9-2-2006 at 10:19 AM

Larry, after you check out the city, please give us a report. Seems to be a shortage of info so far about La Paz (even on the ham radio nets). Thanks.

jettygirl - 9-2-2006 at 10:28 AM

this just posted on Fred Metcalfs board:Posted by Fred Metcalf on September 02, 2006 at 09:23:18:

I received a phone call from Richard Adc-ck in La Paz this morning. Richard reports that the electricity is still off, but there is phone service.

There were no deaths reported in La Paz, but heavy wind damage. Boats at anchor were blown about the harbor, but there are no reports of any major losses at this time. In Richard's area there were many branches down, but no trees lost.

The eye passed over about 3 AM. Prior to that boaters were reporting wind readings of 100+ knots at which point the units went off scale. Richard's feeling was that the winds might have been stronger than those of Marty a few years ago.

Hurricane John whips Mexico's Baja, power cut

BajaNews - 9-2-2006 at 10:49 AM

http://go.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&sto...

Sep 2, 2006 01:34 PM ET
By Antonio Alcantar

LA PAZ, Mexico (Reuters) - Hurricane John crept up Mexico's Baja California peninsula on Saturday after blasting this tourist port city with wicked winds and torrential rain that knocked out power but caused no deaths.

John flattened trees and electric power poles and sent advertising signs flying overnight in La Paz, a city of 200,000 people and the capital of Baja California Sur state.

Ankle-deep flooding on several main roads cut off most streets around the city, and La Paz's airport remained closed.

"We are happy because we have a clean slate," said Jose Gajon, head of the civil protection agency in the state. "No one was killed."

After John felled up to 40 power poles, authorities cut off the electricity supply to the entire city to prevent downed wires from electrocuting people, rescue workers said.

Before John made landfall on Friday evening as a Category 2 storm, around 4,000 people living in low-lying areas of La Paz were moved to shelters to ride out the storm.

John weakened on Saturday to a Category 1 hurricane but was still packing winds of 80 mph (130 kph). Forecaster said they expected it to lose more punch as it swirls over the peninsula.

Ester Aman, owner of the Angel Azul Hotel in La Paz, said she could feel her old hotel building shaking as John lashed the city. "It was like a strobe light in the sky," she said of the constant lightning.

The U.S. National Hurricane Center said the storm was creeping northwest up the peninsula and was now located about 40 miles northwest of La Paz.

NO U.S. THREAT

John was forecast to churn up the east coast of the peninsula and then out into the Pacific Ocean, posing no threat to the United States.

Coastal storm surges of up to 3 feet (1 meter) above normal tide levels with battering waves were expected, and rain of 6 to 12 inches with isolated deluges of 18 inches
were possible, the center said.

On the western tip of the peninsula in the posh seaside resort of Los Cabos, thousands of tourists and residents were forced to escape John's wrath.

Five-star hotels in Los Cabos asked vacationers to sit out most of Friday on mattresses in shelters set up in conference rooms.

Tourists went back to their hotel rooms on Saturday and were eager to restart their vacations after the storm brushed by, dousing the resort with heavy rain and whipping up winds.

"I want to enjoy Cabos, go clubbing and go to the beach," said Lisa Perez, who was on a break from running her furniture store in California.

Local residents in Los Cabos were less fortunate. Rescue workers forced them to spend a second night in the shelters set up for people living in areas facing the greatest threat from flooding and winds.

Several roads in Los Cabos were flooded on Saturday, and there was a possibility that those in shelters would have to spend a third night away from their fragile homes.

BajaNews - 9-2-2006 at 10:54 AM

A truck sets up a barricade to prevent possible floods before the arrival of Hurricane John at Baja California, northwest Mexico. The hurricane has left two people dead and another missing as it lashed northwestern Mexico's Baja California peninsula with gusting wind and driving rain.(AFP/Luis Acosta)

BajaNews - 9-2-2006 at 10:55 AM

Mexican soldiers work to clear a road in Todos Santos, Mexico, Saturday, Sept. 2, 2006, as rains from the remnants of Hurricane John continue to flood area roads. (AP Photo/Gregory Bull)

Jack Swords - 9-2-2006 at 11:00 AM

Just got off phone with Marina de La Paz (11:55 MST) and they reported no damage. Our boat is still afloat and fine. Yaaaaa.

bill erhardt - 9-2-2006 at 11:03 AM

The 1100 PDT coordinates of the eye on Wunderground show John veering more to the west on a course more west than north. At 1100 John was inland about 13 miles over the mountains east of Isla Del Ispiritu Santo.

FARASHA - 9-2-2006 at 11:07 AM

That was my thought also for the last 30 min, watched John turning towards Pacific Coast. Seems Mulege will be spared!!Hope so!Have a friend there I'm worried about.
L

jettygirl - 9-2-2006 at 11:13 AM

Great news Jack ... thanks for the update.
How did the town fair?

John's Track

bill erhardt - 9-2-2006 at 11:16 AM

FARASHA - Since John rounded the Cape I have been plotting the coordinates of the eye on a nautical chart as soon as they have been posted. It seems that the analysis of the weather experts in their advisories and discussion trails the data by 10 or 20 hours.

Bob and Susan - 9-2-2006 at 11:26 AM

11:20 Saturday

BornFisher - 9-2-2006 at 11:42 AM

I heard John Ireland on the radio today (Let`s talk Hookup). John owns a fishing resort, Rancho Leonero on the East Cape.
Highlights of what he said-- It hit about 7:45 PM local time. The eye passed over the ranch and for 45 minutes the wind was calm. He reported wind gust of 150 mph. He said the ranch wasn`t damaged too bad and if he gets electricity, things will be up and running in a week or sooner. His house was damaged. He had a picture window, 50mm thick blown out. He had 2 solid oak doors, 1,100 lbs each blown off their hinges. Said nearly all power poles are down, even the concrete ones.

jerry - 9-2-2006 at 11:45 AM

hea kate i neeed to get a copy of that map from tj to cabo i can save a lot of time and gas at only 400 miles:lol::lol::lol:

El Jefe - 9-2-2006 at 11:53 AM

Good news from San Jose area. This from Judie's sister this morning regarding Buzzards which is 11 miles south of our house:

I tried to call Judie and could not get thru, but 10 minutes later she called me. The connection was bad . Before it broke up she got this much in. The storm went east of them. NO DAMAGE TO PROPERTY AT ALL!!!! They have moved back to Buzzards even though it is still storming. It was a hard drive down the hill from Steves, that road is terrible. but they got thru. The inverter is out so they have no electricity, and she doesn't know how long that will last. It has rained 6" in the last 2 days. The arroyo next to them is still just sand. Then the connection went out. I will keep you all updated....please forward this to anybody she may have left off the list. Love to all Jerri Phillips ( Judie's sister)

Whew!

vjfamily - 9-2-2006 at 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BornFisher
I heard John Ireland on the radio today (Let`s talk Hookup). John owns a fishing resort, Rancho Leonero on the East Cape.
Highlights of what he said-- It hit about 7:45 PM local time. The eye passed over the ranch and for 45 minutes the wind was calm. He reported wind gust of 150 mph. He said the ranch wasn`t damaged too bad and if he gets electricity, things will be up and running in a week or sooner. His house was damaged. He had a picture window, 50mm thick blown out. He had 2 solid oak doors, 1,100 lbs each blown off their hinges. Said nearly all power poles are down, even the concrete ones.

Thanks for your summary can you post the URL for the radio show??

M_Man - 9-2-2006 at 12:33 PM

http://www.hookup690.com/

DianaT - 9-2-2006 at 12:34 PM

Here is the part of the AP story that mentions that 400 mile narrow road. :O

Mexico's Cabo San Lucas braces for powerful Hurricane John
The Associated Press

Published: September 1, 2006

Churning 170 miles (275 kilometers) southeast of Baja California, John was moving northwest at 13 mph (20 kph). Late Thursday night, Mexico issued a tropical storm warning for central Baja, while the peninsula's southern tip, home to Cabo San Lucas and fellow resort San Jose del Cabo, remained under a hurricane warning.

Officials closed the airport Thursday night, ending a mad scramble for last-minute flights. There's only one narrow road out of the resort ? it's 400 miles (650 kilometers) long and leads all the way to Tijuana on the U.S. border.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/09/01/america/LA_GEN_Mexico_Hurricane_John_3rd_Ld_Writethru.php[/url]

[Edited on 9-2-2006 by jdtrotter]

villdelfin

capitolkat - 9-2-2006 at 12:34 PM

Hey bud - let us know how you are doing??

bill erhardt - 9-2-2006 at 02:06 PM

The latest data posted by the National Hurricane Center downgrades John to a tropical storm with maximum sustained winds of 70 mph. The coordinates of the eye show a jog to the north as the storm center cleared the mountains, but that it is now west of the spine of the Baja about 20 miles inland west of Isla San Jose and east of the Devil's curve in Mag Bay.

I always thought women

Sharksbaja - 9-2-2006 at 02:12 PM

couldn't decide which way to go. Guess John can't either.:?:

Thanks for all the updates folks. Breathin' easier now but still this guy may pose a threat to Mulege if it dumps much west in the mountains.

Dadburn hurricanes!

jettygirl - 9-2-2006 at 02:25 PM

Isn't that the truth Sharsbaja ..... John has been one wacky hurricane that seems to want to take his sweet time seeing the whole of Baja Sur.

Still looking for any updates on how La Paz faired ........both town and crusing community. So far I've heard the Marinas held up pretty well , but how bout the folks on the hook in the stream....????:(

Cypress - 9-2-2006 at 02:34 PM

Cleaning up after the storm. Beware of nails! Boards with several nails protruding can be ruff on the feet, hands etc. Cutting and moving down trees, careful! Trees get some weird twists on 'em, will spring up and hurt you, kick that chainsaw in places you'd rather it wasn't. Frozen food? Freezer thawing? Fire up the grill and chow down! Invite the neighbors! Our prayers are with ya'll. Good Luck!

Bruce R Leech - 9-2-2006 at 03:18 PM

Mulege report

It is raining hard in Mulege now. it looks like the storm is degrading fast and going further to the west so we are going to get mostly just good old rain as usual. thank god for that. the only problem we need to worry about here in Mulege is flooding right along the river.

Gracias

Sharksbaja - 9-2-2006 at 03:26 PM

Yep! Say Bruce I am wondering if all that disturbance if having an impact on the waves near there but I'll bet Pta. Chivato area will get big push.
Have you noticed any big change out there in the SOC?

pascuale - 9-2-2006 at 03:29 PM

Any more news on Rancho Leonero? Do you guys think that highway 1 will be ok the way to cabo or how fast they might repair usually after a storm like this. I was thinking of driving down with supplies on monday to Rancho Leonero. Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks
Ethan

Bruce R Leech - 9-2-2006 at 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Yep! Say Bruce I am wondering if all that disturbance if having an impact on the waves near there but I'll bet Pta. Chivato area will get big push.
Have you noticed any big change out there in the SOC?

I havent been out to look at the sea.

this moor westerly track of the Storm means more rain in the mountains which we need but also it is where it causes more flooding here in Mulege. we will know a lot more in the morning :light:

La Ribera

LaRibereña - 9-2-2006 at 04:44 PM

All power and phone poles down; no power, water. Anything not bolted down is probably gone. Lots of windows and retaining walls gone. Mike, do you have any news? Could you check our house just down the street from you, across from Blanca's?

JESSE - 9-2-2006 at 04:59 PM

La Paz

We did pretty well, lots of blown trees and signs, but very few windows broken wich means we got lucky, power is on, phone lines are working, and even the internet is up, so all in all this was a rather light hurricane compared to others i have experienced. We only got a few hours worth of strong winds, and in my opinion, we got very light rains (can't explain how a hurricane passes over you and dumps so little rain). Supermarkets are open, the movie theaters are open, and i guess i have to say we fared so well because we prepared for a much more destructive hurricane than what we actually got.

Hope everyone is o.k.

Bruce R Leech - 9-2-2006 at 05:03 PM

thanks JESSE it is god to get some news out of La Paz. and good news at that:yes:

Natalie Ann - 9-2-2006 at 05:31 PM

Anyone out La Ribera way seen Osprey?

Bruce R Leech - 9-2-2006 at 05:38 PM

the wind has just picked up to about 30 kts gusting to 40 and rain is increasing here in Mulege it is raining hard in the mountains. the river has not started to rise yet but it usually happens with a wall of water not a gentle rise.

bill erhardt - 9-2-2006 at 05:39 PM

National Hurricane Center coordinates for TS John at 1800 local time place the storm center 25 miles NNE of Constitucion on a track slightly west of northwest. The storm is moving at about 8 mph. Maximum sustained wind speed is now 65 mph. If it continues on this course at this speed it will reach the Pacific around midnight near Boca de Las Animas

pacifica - 9-2-2006 at 06:15 PM

Just got some info from Pony express on the Los Barilles area. This sounds pritty grim.

Would the first person to travel to or from the airport successfully, please..........let the BPE know so people can start making their travel plans.

1. Dated today 9:16am PDT: Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone in the East Cape of Baja right now . . and we hope no loss of life or serious injuries occurred.

We have had some messages via email but don't know if all systems are up. We are wanting information about damage to Buenos Aires RV Park where we have (had??) a palapa and Aljo trailer . . If anyone has communication from persons there would love to get some information . . our trailer site is #15, 2nd one past the banos. Any information greatly appreciated. And any information on others in the park please pass on and I will get the word out to them. Thanks . .Bob and Rene email: heyrene@adelphia.net

2. today 9:22am PDT: :Greetings Hurricane John survivors. We hope you have water, propane, and a great sense of humor. Has anyone heard of damage at Rancho Leonero Homes and Hotel? Warm regards, Lizzie Crookham grizzlyfsh95@yahoo.com

3. We are concerned about Jose and his family (jose from Hardware). Does anyone have information on him?

Lois and Bert Roberts

4. Cheryl: My husband Buzz and I received news via a very emotional phone message from Josh Gaudy around 10.30am this morning, that hurricane John hit our area directly and that there is alot of devastation. I have also spoken with Axel Valdez (of Hotel Buena Vista) Ron Corder, Ann Hazard and several others who live there but happen to be in the States and they report that they hear many houses on the beach have sustained damage and that our upstairs windows (which are huge and which were covered with plywood) have blown out so we expect interior damage also. We are in the most northern block of the spa on the beach. From a conversation with Sabrina Lopez who caretakes many SJD houses and who was in SJD, the phone lines, cell phone towers and internet services in our area are down, roads north and south are closed so noone can get to the area. Josh said that the house or houses next door to us are completely gone and describes the area as flattened. Others report that big trees have been uprooted and windows in the condo buildings (Mar y Sol specifically) and Hotel Buena Vista have been blown out.

Mary Fedorka
Telluride, CO 81435
Phone: 970-728-4177
mary@fedorka.com
www.TellurideBuzz.com

4. After talking to my neighbors who had the only phone working practically in La Ribera, it was pretty gruesome, some houses got flattened while others made it right next door.My place took a good hit, now I will find out how good insurance is, but thankfully no one in town was hurt! Nothing to be done here as the roads are flooded and getting there by air may take a while due to washouts. Anyway thanks to the bajaponyexpress I was able to communicate, and also follow the results of the storm better! Roberto bob@cntahoe.com

5. I just got through to Karen Kennedy on the phone. She reports a
horrible disaster. Her house pretty much gutted. Every piece of glass
broken. Her mattress on the carport. Air conditioner ripped out of the
wall. Furniture and computer ruined. Plants destroyed. Car windows
broken. Fence gone. Damage way worse than with Hurricane Marty. She's
in the house to remove a few things to save them from looting, but
can't live in the house. She was amazed that the phone worked.
Everyone has sustained a lot of damage.She says it looks like the
photos after Katrina.
Annalisa

6. I have received a few emails today. It appears only Mark Rayor and Hotel Buena Vista Beach Resort have any email but they have their hands full with the devastation. Esaul Valdez indicated that there have been no injuries or deaths. However, property and infrastructure damage to area homes is another story. Details? Don't have them, except that Vista del Mar and the Rayors were hit hard. Doors and roofs blown off, roofs, windows blown in, trees down, flooding. Power and phone lines are out. Mary Fedorka was told by a friend in San Jose that roads north and south of BV/LB are impassible. Axel told me that American Airlines is flying into Los Cabos. That is all I have been able to discern today.

Please email cnn.com at http://www.cnn.com/feedback/dotcom/ and ask them to send the reporter who was in Cabo the last few days to the East Cape to report on our damage. I just did. Ann Hazard cookbaja@aol.com.

7. Update from Buenas Aires and north!!! Most all trees in the area are down. Roads not passable. All power lines are broken and down. Most of the homes have suffered various degrees of damage. Some very extensive. Most all missing windows and garage doors. Rick and Kim, you lost windows. I had a neighbors 4x4 post come right through a block wall like a bullet. Not much rain with the storm but lots of wind. Most campers at north beach destroyed. Many boats and campers blown away. The eye of the storm passed over around 10:00 last night. Been through many hurricanes over the past 16 years here. This was the grandaddy of them all!!!
Good luck to all. Bob

8. Hello Everyone
Thank God for Baja Pony express, so we can communicate. At this point United Peace Relief has
decided to keep our mobile unit in the United States on standby. I would like to know a road report.
Would it even be possible to drive down the pennisula? We are also waiting anxiously for word of el
Cardonal, if anyone has any information please share it. United Peace Relief has pledged to send
$300 to Jose Martin Sandez Lucero in El Cardonal to buy water and food for those in need. If anyone
can get that message to him please do it. I hope everyone is OK we are praying for you. Lynn
Meadows flybynight@pacific.net

9. what an adventure. We got the direct hit here in LB. We weathered the storm but there are a lot of houses that did not. I'm sorry to say that the boards on your Master bedroom blew off and the windows are blown open. We took pictures but I don't have time to send them as we are on our generator and I have tons of people to get back to. I would say most of the Spa had window damage and more. Both of your neighbors have a lot of open space right now. More later

Jeff Niemi
Baja Beach Investments (This note was to Mary Fedorka)

10. Our casa is the yellow, brand new 2-story on the beach in the northern most block of the Spa on Circuito Velero.
Our boards blew off and the master suite windows are either broken or gone and we need help covering everything up and boarding the house back up to prevent further damage or theft. Is there anyone who can help please!

Mary & Buzz Fedorka
Telluride, CO 81435
mary@fedorka.com
Phone: 970-728-4177
Fax: 970-728-1235
www.TellurideBuzz.com

11. The eye of the storm came through here about 10:30 last night. Felt like at least a three but I don’t know for certain. Very strong winds that did considerable damage to Los Barriles, Buena Vista and La Ribera. It didn’t have a tremendous amount of water but the wind made up for it. For all those concerned about their houses most likely whatever was outside is broken or bent or worse, blown away. If you were smart and put up your boards properly the inside of your home is most likely fine. The Hotel suffered major damage as did many local homes. The entrance to Los Barriles was a raging river and pieces of the new sidewalk, 12 ft . pieces, are littered on the road. We have been without power since yesterday evening but the Federal electric co. had the forethought to station about 100 men and trucks in this area as of two days ago. We’ll probably be up and running again by Tues or Weds. I doubt seriously the town dump will be able to hold the amount of debris John has caused. As far as I’ve heard only one death locally of a merchant from San Jose that was swept away by the arroyo where the airstrip of Buena Vista used to be. Hopefuly church will be packed tomorrow with folks giving thanks to God as this was really close. I will try and advise my customers as to their damage as reports come in but places like Mar y Sol condos were hit heavy again. I hope this teaches people that if they walk away they better have left their place bullet-proof. Hasta mañana.

DennisC. Riley

dennis@paydennis.com

Bruce R Leech - 9-2-2006 at 07:07 PM

hay thanks lencho for the good info I'm kind of worried about Comitan

[Edited on 9-3-2006 by Bruce R Leech]

Bruce R Leech - 9-2-2006 at 07:14 PM

this loop showed the center of the storm right at Loreto right now. and going strait up th east cost to Mulege. it docent seem to be following the predicted rout.:?:

any one in Loreto have a report right now

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t6/loop-bd.html

Osprey

LaRibereña - 9-2-2006 at 07:20 PM

I have heard that Osprey and Lynda are OK, gracias a dios.

TinaRMarie2 - 9-2-2006 at 07:23 PM

My Fianc? and his teenage daughter are due to fly into Los Cabos tomorrow, and staying in Los Barriles at the Hotel Palmas de Cortez. His travel agent contacted him today and said that they had been in contact with the Hotel and besides a few broken windows all was ok. Repairs where already being done. They stated that they still have 50 hotel guests still there. He was reassured that they would have a safe trip. So he plans on leaving tomorrow, but after reading the report above, I am worried and it sure doesn't sound ok! :wow: Please advise!

Bob and Susan - 9-2-2006 at 07:42 PM

latest image....

Bajabus - 9-2-2006 at 07:57 PM

From Lou on the east cape:

Subject: AFTERMATH -HURRICAN JUAN 9-2-06 [ ROAD Y CASA CONDITONS WE OBSERVED HOY]

DEAREST AMIGOS- HOPING ALL IS WELL.

TODAY WE TOOK THE HUMMER FRM PLAYA TORTUGA TOWARD LA VINORAMA AND THEN TO BUZZARDS:

RD TO LA VINO RAMA- ARROYO PAST MARK DEPHILLIPIS NEED 4X4-- SHIPWRECKS PASSABLE NOW [4X4]---- LA FORTUNA RD IMPASSABLE, AN 8FT EMBANKMENT EVEN THE HUMMER SAID NO- TOMORROW BORROWING BILL CONNER,S BOBCAT [MUCHISSIMO GRACIAS] AND WILL MAKE PASSAGE, THEN EVALUATE FURTHER. I HEARD LA VINO RAMA IS RUNNING VERY HEAVY [ONE 4X4 MADE IT ACROSS].

RD TO BUZZARDS--- TOPE COMPLETELY EXPOSED AT RANCHO ZACATON [4X4]-- SOME ROCK SLIDES AT PT GORDA BUT PASSABLE- FIRST ARROYO AT LA LGUNA IMPASSABLE NOW, VERY DEEP/MUDDY---THEN TOOK OLD COAST RD BEHIND LA LAGUNA, VERY DIFFICULT EVEN W/ 4X4---BEYOND THE GRADE AT LA LAGUNA, ONE SPOT PRETTY RUTTED [4X4]--REMAING WAY TO BUZZARS OK.

DENNY WAS TO GIVE ME A REPORT ON PAVED RD TO PLAYITA CROSSING.

ESTHER/CHIOPE TOLD ME LAS NITE CIVIL PROTECCION PUT 10 DUMP LOADS OF DIRT AT ENTRANCE TO PLAYITA.

TED- SEE ATTACHED REPORT REGARDING LAS FRAILES Y BEYOND.

NEW ROAD FROM ZACATITOS TO PLAYITA- HAVEN,T CHK,D YET- BUT PRESUME THE QUESTA IS IMPASSABLE

DOUG VADNAIS TOOK SOME GREAT PHOTOS AND WE WILL BE FORWARDING THEM LATER. AS ALWAYS THE SAPOS/RANAS [TOADS/FROGS AN INCREDIBLE SITE AT LA LAGUNA.

CONDITONS OF CASA ETC- WE DID NOT NOTICE ANY EXTENSIVE DAMAGE TO ANY OF THE PLACES WE OBSERVED. WE DID SEE PLANT AND TREE DAMAGE BUT NOT EXTENSIVE. THEY WERE AS FOLLOWS_____________

CASAS ---CONNERS--PHILA/DALLAS---JAY W.--R. BEAUCHAMP-- IAN,S RENTAL- DE LUCA-DE PHILLIPIS--KASH----- PETER MCGONAGLE INDICATED TO ME ALL WAS WELL IN ZACATITOS, MINOR WATER LEAKAGE----RICK/BRENDA [LUPE]----PAT PHILLIPS---LEROYS--PENNY,S---JERRY/CRAIG-------RANCHEROS [CARLOS, TITI, FORTUNATO, CHACHO, DON ANGEL, --PEDRO FORTUNATO]

TOMORROW WE,LL CHECK LAS DISTILLADERAS, MARTI,S ETC

PLEASE SEND ME YOUR RAIN ETC INFO AS YOU HAVE TIME.

DEVORA FROM BOCA DE TULE REPORTED 8 INCHES RAIN- 80 MPH WINDS AND SOME EXTENSIVE DAMAGE

TONY/DAWN JUST PASS LA VINO RAMA REPORTED DAMAGE ALSO.

PLS PRAY FOR THOSE UP THE RD FROM US LAVINA RAMA--FRAILES-BOCA DE TULE-CABO PULMO AND BEYOND. THEY HAVE A DIFFICULT ROAD TO OVERCOME.AND MAY NEED OUR HELP.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS NO ONE HAS BEEN SERIOUSLY INJURED/ETC [MUCHISSIMO GRACIAS EL SENOR!!!!]

QUE DIOS TE BENDIGA-CUIDATE MUCHO-LOU

Bajabus - 9-2-2006 at 08:08 PM

from Tony and dawn:

Good afternoon everyone (better for some than others me thinks),

Tony and I are assessing local damage and will upload photos to my web site for all to see later on (prob this evening, I will send address at that time). All reports confirm that the eye passed directly over Cabo Pulmo where damage was extensive. As that is exactly 17 miles north of us, we believe that we got to experience close to Cat 3 conditions, but difficult to confirm this. Trees are down all over the community of Cabo Pulmo, roofs off, windows smashed and most solar panels gone. One estimate is that winds reached 150mph there, but I?d like to get confirmation on that. No loss of life or limb though (here or there), gracias a Dios! We have a local estimate of 80 mph when the storm passed northeast of us, but I believe that is low. Road damage is extensive and the local arroyo (Las Vinoramas) is running hard, but passable in a 4x4. We also know that the Camino Palo Escopeta is passable to Sta Catarina, but that it was not passable this morning. We would appreciate updates on it?s condition as that develops. Some homes here in Las Vinoramas experienced extensive damage (broken windows, doors that exploded, lots of water damage, downed walls, fences and palapas) and others have only minor damage. I attribute the differences to exposure to east and west winds, home design (strength of doors and windows installed) and use of hurricane panels.

We would love to know what the Sta Catarina Arroyo is doing. Please send an update at your earliest convenience.

Peace and many thanks for everyone?s prayers,

Dawn & Tony

Bajabus - 9-2-2006 at 08:16 PM

On the pacific side hyw 19 is cut and impassable just below Rancho Nuevo, took out two police trucks and one other vehicle, washed down the arroyo. Rick also reports no traffic coming from the south so it's probably cut somewhere down that way. everything is very quiet, town water in elias calles is out with the pump house underwater.

Bajabus - 9-2-2006 at 08:24 PM

This is from Cole barrymore of Cabo Pulmo who is stuck in the states at the moment. Some of the info is dated.

Max?. hello. Tghanks for the note. No contact yet. Comm is down and don?t know what to do until I contact them.

I might need your help to reposition the dish.

Cole

To whom it may concern: 9/2/06 11:00am pacific

This is Cole Barrymore, owner/manager of Cabo Pulmo Beach Resort. I am currently in Sunset Beach , California waiting for any news that may come as to the condition of Cabo Pulmo.

As some of you may know, yesterday afternoon hurricane John looked as if it was going to turn to the northwest and just miss Cabo San Lucas or hit on the tip of Baja but instead took a right turn into the gulf of Baja.

John hit Cabo Pulmo dead on with the eye just slightly off shore. From my perspective and all the websites that I have been to, indicate the most intense winds must have hit Cabo Pulmo by the late afternoon with gusts estimated to be 120 to 130mph. But I am not sure. All radio telecommunications and satellite internet have apparently been blown down and at this time Saturday at 11:00 am I have not been able to communicate to anybody in Cabo Pulmo Beach Resort. The last communications to me here was the resort office on instant messenger to my computer saying that the windows in the upstairs restaurant have been broken and that it?s a mess up there. They also indicated that the workers and manager along with my kids and wife ran downstairs to safety in the dive center.

At this time the hurricane has been downgraded to a cat 2 and I guess that it is in La Paz and moving north along the Sea of Cortez.

If you are a guest coming to the resort, don?t come yet!

I will continue to try to contact the resort to see what to do next. If you and anybody that you know has had any contact then please ?reply?. Information on road condition to the resort or the vicinity would be helpful so I can plan what to do next.

Thanks.

Cole

It ain't over till the fat lady sings....

Sharksbaja - 9-3-2006 at 12:04 AM

Current

[Edited on 9-3-2006 by Sharksbaja]

Bajalero - 9-3-2006 at 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
this loop showed the center of the storm right at Loreto right now. and going strait up th east cost to Mulege. it docent seem to be following the predicted rout.:?:

any one in Loreto have a report right now

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t6/loop-bd.html

Bruce , Just watched a live storm loop via satelite and it shows the storm circulation center going right along the west side of Conception bay and right over or just to the west of Mulege.

Watch the arroyo Bruce , Best of luck

Lero 5:30 am

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t6/vis.jpg

FARASHA - 9-3-2006 at 06:01 AM

Best of Luck to all in MULEGE now, John sits right over the area, as it looks on the satelite images.
LL

Cypress - 9-3-2006 at 06:40 AM

What's the word from Mulege?

Bob and Susan - 9-3-2006 at 06:42 AM

Sunday Morning...

Bob and Susan - 9-3-2006 at 06:42 AM

Bruce it looks like ALOT of water!!!

Current Conditions In San Juanico

Juan del Rio - 9-3-2006 at 07:14 AM

At 8:20, winds have picked up strong coming in from the South. Air is 73 degrees. This wind has started within the last hour. On generator. No rain yet this morning. Some drizzles last night which was nice as it cool it down. View is looking due south.

View Looking Towards Loreto

Juan del Rio - 9-3-2006 at 07:15 AM

Looks like it's coming our way...

Bob and Susan - 9-3-2006 at 07:21 AM

Hold on Jaun....

San Juanico, Sunday Morning at 8:35 am

Juan del Rio - 9-3-2006 at 07:29 AM

View looking Southwest...you can feel it coming.

[

[Edited on 9-3-2006 by Juan del Rio]

Mulege River

toneart - 9-3-2006 at 07:49 AM

I just received a message from relayed from U.S. from wife of a fellow resident of The Orchard. She got a phone call from husband saying he and dogs are safe on higher ground but he doesn't think the house is still there.

Bruce...Bob & Susan....anyone? Can you confirm state of houses along the river and flood conditions. I don't want to cause false alarm but am obviously quite concerned for life & property.

I am not there. Am still in No. California.

Tony

Bob and Susan - 9-3-2006 at 07:57 AM

we were going this weekend but didn't...

now we'll have to go next week after the water slows.

Bruce.trying to check on Tanya and Herman

Keri - 9-3-2006 at 07:57 AM

Did the river rise/ Marty wiped them out last time. I know you are on higher land , safer I hope. Let us know about Mulege when you can,I hope everyone there is safe.,k

Norm - 9-3-2006 at 08:11 AM

can any one tell us how our house came out of this bag dog John ??
we have a house next door to the storage yard, you can see the roof from the road to the airport -- that is if we still have one ???
any info will be a big help !! thanks NORM & SUE:?:

Bajalero - 9-3-2006 at 08:14 AM

Just my own WAG , but this storm looks like it will keep feeding off the gulf and continue more northward than what the agencies are predicting .

I'll wager flooding will eventially be a problem as far as San Felipe as well as the rest of northern Baja.

Never met a meteorologist worth a damn anyway

BajaNews - 9-3-2006 at 08:15 AM

TROPICAL STORM JOHN ADVISORY NUMBER 25
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL EP112006
800 AM PDT SUN SEP 03 2006

...HEAVY RAINS CONTINUE THROUGHOUT CENTRAL BAJA CALIFORNIA AND
NORTHWESTERN MEXICO...
...LOCALLY HEAVY RAIN POSSIBLE IN THE SOUTHWESTERN UNITED STATES...

AT 8 AM PDT...1500 UTC... THE GOVERNMENT OF MEXICO HAS DISCONTINUED
THE TROPICAL STORM WARNING ON THE EAST COAST OF BAJA CALIFORNIA
SOUTH OF LORETO AND ON THE WEST COAST OF BAJA CALIFORNIA SOUTH OF
PUNTA ABREOJOS.

AT 8 AM PDT... THE GOVERNMENT OF MEXICO HAS EXTENDED THE TROPICAL
STORM WARNING ON THE EAST COAST OF BAJA CALIFORNIA NORTHWARD TO
BAHIA DE LOS ANGELES. A TROPICAL STORM WARNING IS NOW IN EFFECT
FOR THE EAST COAST OF THE PENINSULA FROM BAHIA DE LOS ANGELES TO
LORETO AND FOR THE WEST COAST OF THE PENINSULA FROM PUNTA EUGENIA
TO PUNTA ABREOJOS. A TROPICAL STORM WARNING MEANS THAT TROPICAL
STORM CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED WITHIN THE WARNING AREA WITHIN THE
NEXT 24 HOURS.

INTERESTS ELSEWHERE IN AND AROUND THE NORTHERN GULF OF CALIFORNIA
SHOULD MONITOR THE PROGRESS OF JOHN.

MOISTURE FROM JOHN IS SPREADING INTO THE SOUTHWESTERN UNITED STATES
OVER THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS. FOR STORM INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO
YOUR AREA...INCLUDING POSSIBLE INLAND WATCHES AND WARNINGS...PLEASE
MONITOR PRODUCTS ISSUED BY YOUR LOCAL WEATHER OFFICE.

AT 800 AM PDT...1500Z...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM JOHN WAS
LOCATED INLAND NEAR LATITUDE 27.1 NORTH...LONGITUDE 112.5 WEST OR
ABOUT 20 MILES... 30 KM...SOUTHWEST OF SANTA ROSALIA MEXICO AND
ABOUT 165 MILES...270 KM...EAST-SOUTHEAST OF PUNTA EUGENIA MEXICO.

JOHN IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTHWEST NEAR 9 MPH...15 KM/HR. ON THIS
TRACK JOHN IS EXPECTED TO REMAIN NEAR OR OVER BAJA CALIFORNIA
TODAY.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS REMAIN NEAR 45 MPH...75 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
GUSTS. THE MEXICAN NAVY WEATHER STATION AT SANTA ROSALIA MEXICO
RECENTLY REPORTED SUSTAINED WINDS OF 39 MPH...63 KM/HR WITH GUSTS
TO 55 MPH... 88 KM/HR. SOME WEAKENING IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT
24 HOURS AS JOHN CONTINUES TO INTERACT WITH LAND. JOHN COULD
BECOME A TROPICAL DEPRESSION LATER TODAY OR TONIGHT.

TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 85 MILES...140 KM
FROM THE CENTER.

THE ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 993 MB...29.32 INCHES.

RAINFALL TOTALS OF 4 TO 8 INCHES...WITH ISOLATED MAXIMUM STORM
TOTALS UP TO 18 INCHES...ARE POSSIBLE OVER THE CENTRAL BAJA
PENINSULA. THE NORTHWEST COAST OF MEXICO COULD RECEIVE 3 TO 6
INCHES OF RAIN WITH ISOLATED MAXIMUM TOTALS OF 10 INCHES. THESE
RAINS COULD CAUSE LIFE-THREATENING FLASH FLOODS AND MUD SLIDES OVER
MOUNTAINOUS TERRAIN. MOISTURE FROM JOHN COULD HELP PRODUCE 1 TO 3
INCHES OF RAIN OVER THE SOUTHWESTERN UNITED STATES AND WESTERN
TEXAS THROUGH MONDAY MORNING.

REPEATING THE 800 AM PDT POSITION...27.1 N...112.5 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...NORTHWEST NEAR 9 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...45 MPH.
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...993 MB.

AN INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE
CENTER AT 1100 AM PDT FOLLOWED BY THE NEXT COMPLETE ADVISORY AT 200
PM PDT.

Bob and Susan - 9-3-2006 at 08:21 AM

Marty 2003 sent debris up to the top of these palm trees...

This picture is taken a week later just under the mulege bridge.

Meterologists

toneart - 9-3-2006 at 08:22 AM

When I used to teach, I would tell my students that I wish I had a job like the weatherman. They are wrong most of the time and still get get paid and get to keep their jobs.

It is better to stick your head out of the window and report what you see. I guess If you are eyeball to eyball with a fish, it's time to close the window.:o

BajaNews - 9-3-2006 at 08:25 AM

Through 6:30am:

toneart - 9-3-2006 at 08:41 AM

From the last post by BajaNews it would appear that the storm is blowing eastward. Could it now be influenced by TS Kristy? That is NOT the projected track the National Hurricane Center is showing.

BajaNews - 9-3-2006 at 08:48 AM

Looks like the storm is dissipating (sp?) towards the east, but the eye of the storm is what you see on the tracking, and what will continue in a NW direction... as a weakened storm.

wornout - 9-3-2006 at 09:00 AM

On page 10 of this thread a poster named 'Pacifica' listed many notes from the Los Barriles area. Number 5 was info from a Person named Karen. This email below is from Karen's neighbor, and came in the form of an email I received this morning..what a small world. The email was sent this morning at 6:40 am:

""Well, we got hit full on. They said John was a category 2, but if it was, I never want a 3 or 4 or more. This one was bad.

We had some damage....the shade we put over the bedroom and the shade we put all over the deck for the apartment are torn apart. Other than that, we just had about 2 inches of water everywhere in the house. Our windows were boarded up, but the rain still got in.

Karen's home is a disaster.....broken windows, leaky roof, ....she and Grace are staying here in our apartment for now. She has an upstairs apartment.....the 2 older windows broke, and her queen mattress was sucked out of the window.....no idea where it is. Her furniture all tossed around. Also her A/C in the apt. was sucked out and thrown about 50 feet onto the top of her carport. The mattress was out the North West window, the A/C out the North East window.

Power lines - some with transformers - and phone poles are down everywhere.....although the phones are still working....miracle. Many people's car windows broke. Palapas are down, garage doors are broken - not ours this time - many windows broken all over, houses sandblasted - paint gone -, satellite dishes ripped and tossed, trailers pushed, turned and one we saw had the roof torn off and was knocked upside down. Roof tiles missing, boards and shutters ripped off windows. Some structures completely flattened.

Saw one block wall on the ground, many chain link fences are now at a 90 degree angle, the pipes they run the wires through on top of the electric monuments are bent 90 degrees.

Town is a mess.....there is a lot of damage.....more than the hurricanes three years ago. The huge signs are down : Pemex, Pacifico, etc., road signs are either down or very badly twisted. I know I have forgotten some of the damage.....but I need to sign off. We are running on a generator.....we have lots of gas, but not knowing when we will get power again, we are trying to conserve a bit.

Yes, many people, including Karen, have some kind of hurricane insurance....but remembering from the last storm 3 years ago, collecting is another matter. Not sure how fast any of this can be done. New Orleans is still trying to collect !!!!! ""

Weatherman (woman).

MrBillM - 9-3-2006 at 09:01 AM

I agree (and have said for years) that it has to be the best job in the world because there is no penalty for consistently being wrong. Having watched these Hurricane Track forecasts closely for 25 years, I believe that the early forecasts have been wrong over 90 % of the time. The only thing that makes us pay (worried) attention is the fact that they were dead on the money for Nora.

Right now, it looks like the only effect on the San Felipe area will be (possibly) heavy rain for which I'm thankful since I can't travel for awhile because of my back surgery. Knowing how important my Baja home is to me, I feel badly for anyone who suffers because of this.

Thinking back on previous weather predictions, I always remember sitting on my sailboat in San Diego Bay in the a.m. on Christmas day in a downpour listening to NOAA weather on the radio predicting a 70 % chance of rain in the afternoon. They could have looked out their window and been more accurate.

sunchaser - 9-3-2006 at 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bill erhardt
Looking north on Manuel Pineda in Colonia Zaragosa across the arryo to Loreto at 11:00 a.m. this morning. I guess I won't go to the Pescador after all.

thanks for the pix. Our building site is just to the right of the pix on the corner of Nicholas Bravo and the arroyo. Is it safe to assume that the levees held up?

First comprehensive account of riding out the storm in Pulmo

Bajabus - 9-3-2006 at 09:10 AM

Dear friends and family,

I thought that sitting out a hurricane would be fun. It was not. As far as I can tell, the eye of the storm passed directly over Cabo Pulmo. This was a Category 3 hurricane when it made landfall here, with winds around 150 mph. As of this morning, the storm has passed and it?s raining intermittently. Nobody was injured. Everyone has suffered property damage. (I was here solo as Diane was in Marin dealing with our house up there.)

I spent most of Thursday making preparations, then most of yesterday (Friday) waiting for something to happen. By late afternoon it started getting very windy, but I felt I had taken all the reasonable precautions. When the rain went horizontal, water began dribbling down the patio walls. I went around placing kitchen towels, eventually breaking out the bath towels too. Little did I know!

The wind was blowing hard from the NNE, so the main patio was a refuge of sorts. I moved the patio furniture inside and closed the flop-up kitchen windows. I left the half-wagon wheels open, thinking to relieve the pressure differential inside the house. Our semi-enclosed bedroom was fine, other than a bit of water drooling down the walls. I was enjoying the storm at this point, and decided to fix myself a drink. I squeezed a pomegranate from our tree into a c-cktail shaker, added lots of crushed ice and a jigger of vodka, and gave it a shake. Delicious! I settled into the bentwood rocker on the patio, and starting recording the experience in my notebook. The wind increased a couple notches and the air became thick with mist (even though I was on the lee side). So I dragged the rocker into our bedroom area and prepared to retreat into the house. I noticed that the window behind our bed had sucked open from the back-eddy of wind coming around the corner of the house. After futilely trying to fix it shut (there?s no latch), I gave up, bundled up our bedding, and brought it into the living room. I also noticed that the bi-fold French windows were jiggling on their latches. I was going to brave one last run to the garage to get some clamps to secure it better, but got distracted (which I was later to regret!).

I took a seat on the sofa, started getting concerned. Then I heard a metallic clatter and saw the BBQ lid bounce along the patio. I reached out the door and grabbed it. Then I heard a loud scraping sound as the bent-wood chair and set of iron-base nesting tables clattered across the patio. I had overturned them and wedged them into the corner of the tiled concrete BBQ base, but the wind had wrested them loose. So I grabbed them and dragged them inside, too.

The half-wagon wheel window over the kitchen sink slamming shut really got my attention! The skylight lid over the kitchen started bumping and rattling like a snare drum. Then it stopped (as I was to later learn, it went flying!). All the windows in the house were shaking and rattling on their latches and hinges, like a possessed demon-house out of a grade B horror flick. At one point I was pushing against the north door thinking to reinforce it, realizing that all that?s keeping it shut is the knob lock and the strike plate in the jamb! I was honestly terrified.

I retreated to the Bat Cave, our 3?x 5? concrete corner closet with steel door. We designed it into the house to provide secure storage in our absence and to serve as a safe place in a hurricane. I?m sure glad it was there!

I noticed the storm lightening a bit. The window clatter lessened. I emerged from the Bat Cave to see the entire floor under an inch of water. I looked around to assess damage and tentatively went out onto the patio. I noticed a solar panel dangling over the roof edge, and saw others in the yard. Juan Angel (our mariachi sculpture) had been knocked over and decapitated.

Gradually, it went utterly calm. As I was to later learn, this calm was the eye of the storm passing directly overhead. I went up onto our roof patio and took in a scene of total devastation. The Castro water tank was gone, toppled from its 50? high tower. There were huge waves breaking left off the Cabo Pulmo point. I got cable cutters and cut loose the solar panels. I thought to jury-rig a temporary shutter over the skylight, but I noticed the wind picking up again so I thought better of it. I went back downstairs and grabbed the squeegee, pushing the water out of the house. Was I ever na?ve!

The wind began to build steadily again, this time from the SSW. Before long it was blowing just as hard as before, only from the opposite direction. Muddy water was blowing in under the door. I watched water streaking horizontally across our ceiling! I beat a retreat to the Bat Cave with some dinner (cold leftover brown rice with a bit of chicken, washed down with some Clamato juice sitting conveniently sitting there on the shelf). I felt safe and secure inside the Bat Cave.

As the wind slacked off I exited the bat cave, put my wet bedding on the sofa, and prepared to pass the night. I slept OK, all things considered! I ventured out at dawn to a scene of total devastation. The front car gate is completely wrecked. The bedroom bi-fold French windows are gone, blown off their hinges. The bedroom room divider went flying and the armoire had blown over, caught at a crazy angle by the rocking chair jammed into the bedposts. The paddle fans are toast. All the palapa roofs suffered some damage. The red walk-in gate is hanging there, immoveable on bent hinges. The BBQ cabinet doors are gone, as are the doors of the cleaning supplies closet. There is muddy water all over the house. On the new house project, our brand-new-two-week-old garage door got blown in, with water everywhere.

Worst of all, the yard is devastated. Virtually every tree was either up-rooted or had its crown shredded. Giant cardon cacti were snapped off at half mast. It is truly a heart-rending sight.

Everyone in town suffered similar damage to greater or lesser extent. No one was injured. Lots of broken windows and lost solar panels. Trees blown over or shredded. Now begins the slow process of cleaning up and drying out.

I had to cancel my planned trip to San Jose today, where I was going to meet with prospective buyers of our home (http://www.CaboPulmoHouse.com). We were going to work out the details of a purchase agreement. Not sure where we stand after this?

All the best from Baja,

Roberto

[Edited on 4-9-2006 by Bajabus]

To Robert in Cabo Pulmo

ViajeraGal - 9-3-2006 at 09:35 AM

HI - my husband and I visited with you earlier thisyear, so sorry to hear of all your damage, etc.!! We departed the area to get out of the heat in late July, but are very concerned about our casa, too, after reading the reports about Barriles/BV on the BPE.................

I don't know when I will be able to hear about our house, as I am sure it is cut off by the 'slides' north of town............

prayers with you and grateful that all in your area are OK.:(:(::no:

BajaNews - 9-3-2006 at 09:35 AM

A woman looks out her door blocked with sandbags at the flooded road in front of her home in La Paz, Mexico, Saturday, Sept. 2, 2006, after the city was hit by Hurricane John earlier in the day. (AP Photo/Gregory Bull)

BajaNews - 9-3-2006 at 09:37 AM

A man walks through a flooded street in Los Cabos in Mexico's state of Baja California after Hurricane John hit the area September 2, 2006. Hurricane John crept up Mexico's Baja California peninsula on Saturday after blasting this tourist port city with wicked winds and torrential rain that knocked out power but caused no deaths. REUTERS/Daniel Aguilar

BajaNews - 9-3-2006 at 09:39 AM

Members of the Mexican Red Cross watch as a mudslide runs across a road between Cabo San Lucas and La Paz in Los Cabos, Baja California. Hurricane John weakened to a tropical storm as it traveled across northwestern Mexico's Baja California peninsula, while local officials gave conflicting reports about its human toll. (AFP/Luis Acosta)

BajaNews - 9-3-2006 at 09:40 AM

A woman stands near a car covered by sand at a road outside Los Cabos in Mexico's state of Baja California after Hurricane John hit the area September 2, 2006. Hurricane John crept up Mexico's Baja California peninsula on Saturday after blasting this tourist port city with wicked winds and torrential rain that knocked out power but caused no deaths. REUTERS/Daniel Aguilar (MEXICO)

BajaNews - 9-3-2006 at 09:42 AM

A man walks through a flooded street in Los Cabos in Mexico's state of Baja California after Hurricane John hit the area September 2, 2006. Hurricane John crept up Mexico's Baja California peninsula on Saturday after blasting this tourist port city with wicked winds and torrential rain that knocked out power but caused no deaths. REUTERS/Daniel Aguilar (MEXICO)

FARASHA - 9-3-2006 at 09:43 AM

Still nothing from MULEGE? Bruce ?? :?:

JZ - 9-3-2006 at 09:45 AM

There is steady rain here in San Carlos, Sonora. Light winds (15mph). Last night before it started raining we sat out at a Palapa bar watching the surf roll in. It was probably 8-10', which is huge for San Carlos.

I took my boat out of the water around 11AM yesterday, and they moved about 80% of the sailboats off the moorings in the Bahia.

Some boats went out fishing in the AM yesterday, which I thought was really stupid. But sometime after that the port captain closed the port.

[Edited on 9-3-2006 by JZ]

Russ - 9-3-2006 at 09:48 AM

From Pt. Chlvato - We are thru the worst now. Wnd gust to 67mph - Averaged around 55 for almost four hours. Now 40 mph - lt. raln. Most everyone s mopplng up - a few had wndows blown out. Could have been a lot worse.

Bob and Susan - 9-3-2006 at 10:24 AM

Sunday 10:00AM....

vandenberg - 9-3-2006 at 11:27 AM

Hey Loreto dwellers. How come no word posted from that area or Mulege ?? Anxious in Sacramento waiting for some news . Loreto Bay still there ? How many townhouses under water ? Roads ? Any news appreciated.

toneart - 9-3-2006 at 12:20 PM

Thank you Russ for your report from Punta Chivato. I'm happy for everybody there that "it could have been a lot worse". Try and hang onto your mood,"tranquillo" and spread some around. I'll have some of the same!:(

[Edited on 9-3-2006 by toneart]

Bajabus - 9-3-2006 at 12:38 PM

here is a report I just got from Marti Miesen who has a home in the Boca de Los Palmas area on the east cape road, Lou Quaccia just reached her place and called her with this info:

No damage no mess, however north of us is a mess. Vinoramas got hit pretty hard and Cabo Pulmo took a direct hit. The eye was right on them. On up the coast is the same. I have not heard about La Paz, but all roads to La Paz are closed right now out of Cabo.
The Army is in Cabo Pulmo right now. I know it looks like a war zone. Solar panels gone, Internet, windows, roofs, doors, trees, and cactus. The roads on the cape are going to be repaired by Pete McGonagle and others. The Playita Road I guess is passable or will be today.
The road just north of us around the monument is blown out.

Bajame - 9-3-2006 at 12:57 PM

Waiting to leave for San Ignacio till I hear from the area about possible flooding. This area is known for it's flash flooding. It m,ight be best to wait a few days longer before leaving.

Pescador - 9-3-2006 at 01:07 PM

Glad to hear from Russ at Punta Chivato. We have not been able to talk to anyone in Santa Rosalia or San Lucas cove. All phone lines are out and I suspect that electricity is non-oerative. Tried San Marcos Mike several times but his phone is ringing but he has not been able to answer.

JZ - 9-3-2006 at 01:35 PM

At 1PM it stop raining here in SC for the most part, and almost looks like the sun may come out. Some flooding.

FARASHA - 9-3-2006 at 01:42 PM

STILL no word from Mulege area?? Glad for Russ that they got away with minimum damage!! Hope that goes also for others out there!!!

Hello Loreto folks

vgabndo - 9-3-2006 at 01:59 PM

Without putting yourselves to any trouble, would you please keep ears open for word from the Baustidas or Espinos about conditions in San Nicolas. The maps seem to indicate that this may have been worse than Marty and we are concerned for our friends and secondarily if we still have a place there. It is hard to not worry.
 Pages:  1  2    4    6