BajaNomad

100 Day Walk Around the Baja coastline: San Felipe to Rosarito

Pages:  1  2    4    6  7

David K - 5-26-2012 at 12:39 PM

I hope most of you can click on the Live Spot Track Map Doug and I have posted links to or Igor will post the maps this weekend. I am not on my PC this weekend, and can't seem to do it on this one or my Android phone. Sorry Woody, but I hope you can get it to open.

Skipjack Joe - 5-26-2012 at 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by goldhuntress
His email "I've been thinking I should deliver the sunscreen. Her arms were sunburned cause she (they) was wearing their Walk Baja short sleeved shirts and she was using what sunscreen she had left sparingly.

In the picture they are in shorts and tee-shirts. No bueno.

Legs and arms should be completely covered. Below are the sort of pants that I've finally settled on. Made primarily of nylon they are extremely light and breatheable. They are purposefully baggy. There is no style here. These are by patagonia but there are other manufacturers. And they really aren't that expensive, <$50.

There are similar long sleeved shirts that have large vents to further keep you cool.

A cheap straw hat to provide shade for neck is better than anything anything else on the market.

The pictures of red faces show that they have taken a real beating from the sun. That ain't healthy.

[Edited on 5-26-2012 by Skipjack Joe]

55029_176.jpg - 11kB

goldhuntress - 5-26-2012 at 01:09 PM

More strange tracking. Looked at first like they were headed out walking then only 2 tracks and nothing. BF hung out(he's in GN) waiting to see the next track to make sure they were walking then decided to just go check it out so he will send me a Spot if/when he finds them. Last track was 12:18.

rts551 - 5-26-2012 at 02:54 PM

saw them on the hiway thursday just north of the LA BAY turn off.they were moving along at a good clip....with stroller

mexicoliving - 5-26-2012 at 03:47 PM

Just checking in...we have not had time or access to read the entire thread or to know of any specific questions but we will. This morning after leaving camp we got two flat tires on our wagon approx. 14km from Nuevo Rosarito. We got a ride into town and found the tire shop will not be open until Monday, so we got a ride all the way to Guerrero Negro. We have fixed the tires and got a hotel, or goal is to stock up on medical supplies (ran out), get some long awaited emails replied and then return to where we left off and begin again on Monday. Between now and then we expect to find an internet cafe and upload all the photos and videos we have to this point. We are both tired and sore, but doing pretty well. The cold weather the last two nights has been the real but kicker. Our feet are holding up and we have worn through our first pair of boots.

woody with a view - 5-26-2012 at 03:49 PM

keep it up! it's all downhill until you round the corner at cabo!

goldhuntress - 5-26-2012 at 04:10 PM

Glad your Ok:biggrin:

Cypress - 5-26-2012 at 04:16 PM

Quote:
Glad your Ok:biggrin:

:biggrin:

Graham - 5-26-2012 at 09:01 PM

John and Rachel – congratulations on walking as far as you have. If you don’t take another step it’s been an amazing accomplishment, especially at this time of year.

Sunburn and blisters and boots falling apart and wrapped in duct tape… that brings back a few memories.

Got to admire your determination and applaud your willingness to adapt your goals.

Enjoy the cool spell and the absolutely necessary time for recovery. What’s coming as you head back to the Gulf will be fearsome. Without a backup vehicle supplying shady breaks, cold drinks and taking the load, I fear the rest of the journey, at least beyond San Ignacio, will feel somewhere between suicide to impossible.

Sure hope when you return to Gro Negro you’ll reappraise your schedule, adopt a more relaxed pace, and consider a more Pacific route and call it quits in Cabo or wherever you can reach before needing to head north to the Baja Blues Fest in Rosarito Beach in August.

Bajaboy - 5-26-2012 at 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mexicoliving
Just checking in...we have not had time or access to read the entire thread or to know of any specific questions but we will. This morning after leaving camp we got two flat tires on our wagon approx. 14km from Nuevo Rosarito. We got a ride into town and found the tire shop will not be open until Monday, so we got a ride all the way to Guerrero Negro. We have fixed the tires and got a hotel, or goal is to stock up on medical supplies (ran out), get some long awaited emails replied and then return to where we left off and begin again on Monday. Between now and then we expect to find an internet cafe and upload all the photos and videos we have to this point. We are both tired and sore, but doing pretty well. The cold weather the last two nights has been the real but kicker. Our feet are holding up and we have worn through our first pair of boots.

Wish I would have seen this earlier...we're at Cowboy and headed north tomorrow. It would have been nice to connect. Heading out early tomorrow. Safe travels.

Curt63 - 5-28-2012 at 09:27 PM

John and Rachel posted this on Facebook on Sunday.

"The last couple of nights have been brutally cold and we have not been prepared for cold weather, so it has been a bit tough. We also have run out of medical supplies, primarily tape and gauze and primarily for me. Rachel is only now getting a couple of small blisters, and my feet have been one big blister on top of other big blisters. But, no worries, Rachel is really good at taping and bandaging, so there are no infections and lots of quick healing; overall the feet are getting better and better.

Last night we had a tough camping location with some off road to get to camp. This morning after leaving camp and hitting the road, we realized we got two flat tires. As usually there was very nice Mexicans to the rescue. A family driving by in a flatbed truck filled with scrap metal asked us if we wanted a ride, they were took us the 10-14km to Nuevo Rosarito to the tire shop, but as luck would have it it, it was closed and from what we could find out, it looked like it was closed until Monday. Fortunately, the family said they would be back in two hours to check on us. When they returned they said they were going to Guerrero Negro and said they would take us to the tire shop there, so we jumped in back with the metal and drove to Guerrero Negro.

We got the tires fixed and got a hotel (La Posada de Don Vicente, first hotel on right) for a shower and some rest. We have decided that we are going to stay here until Monday and get caught up on emails and work on the Baja Blues Fest and a some other business. We also have a ton of photos and video to upload before we leave, so now is a good time.

On Monday/Tuesday we will get back out on the highway and look for another nice person to drive us back to where we got picked up, so that we can continue where we left off. This was a really bummer at first, but now we think it was a blessing...my boots have worn through and both Rachel and I have our boots duct taped. We hope we can find some new boots here in Guerrero Negro. We also really need the medical supplies, so everything happens for a reason.

Stay tuned and we will keep you up-to-date as we can. The good news is that our new Mad Max 2, our wagon is amazing and other than the flats, it has been absolutely the best piece of equipment we have had - THANK YOU Christine, Raine for the wagon and Sal and Maria for the awesome retrofitting and craftiness."

Back on the road tomorrow

mexicoliving - 5-29-2012 at 09:48 PM

We have been in Guerrero Negro since Saturday afternoon and tomorrow we will be returning to just north of Nuevo Rosarito to continue our trek with new tires, new supplies, new shoes and a new route. It has been a great break spending time here and getting to know our new friend Mas Margaritas and enjoying many great meals and cold cervesas.

Although I have yet to read this thread, I have heard from many people about the various comments many people have left, so just to clarify, we are doing this for us and our charities, and no one else. Although there have been no formal rules laid out, our goal is to walk and that is what we will do, in the manner we choose. So, if you disapprove of our methods, route or whatever, get over it. :tumble:

However, we do apologize for forgetting to turn on the tracker once or twice, and once for leaving it on and it turning itself off and once for throwing our packs into the back of our new friends (Sal and Maria's) Subaru Brat and walking packless the last couple of miles while Sal drove ahead and scouted camp locations for us, and Maria walked with us, while the tracker remained on and attached Rachel's backpack. It was the end of a long hot day, and the tracker wasn't a priority, oops, sorry. We will be taking care not to do it again.

On the other hand, we greatly appreciate the incredible support and wonderful new friends we have made. It's been truly amazing! We love the stops people have made to say hello on the road, and the incredible efforts people have made to support us. Thank you all very, very much. We have made friendships that will last a lifetime and we aren't even close to finishing yet.

That being said, our friend Jerry Freer, who walked the peninsula himself two springs ago has recommended a new route that agree is better. We will turn at San Ignacio to the Lagoon then follow the coast to San Juanico, from there the road is paved all the way to Insurgentes. From there we will continue south to La Paz.

Again thank you for the support. PLEASE visit our site Baja Walk and take a moment to review the challenges of our charities and if it's within your means, please help those in your area, or that tug at your heart, their challenges are far tougher than ours. www.bajawalk.com

goldhuntress - 5-30-2012 at 07:50 AM

Thanks for the update mexicoliving. I hope your both well rested and healed. I'm glad to know your changing course and taking the Pacific side, I think that's a good move. Your doing great, keep it up, stay focused on your mission and most of all enjoy the journey!

Skipjack Joe - 5-30-2012 at 08:12 AM

I agree, goldhuntress, enjoying the journey is the bottom line.

DianaT - 5-30-2012 at 08:14 AM

Sounds like a better route. It will be quite hot in San Ignacio, but the Pacific Coast will be better.

If you are still in Guerrero Negro, you might think about looking for a tube of Slime for your wagon tires. The mountain bike teams around here use it and it helps. Also, they used to sell it at Commercial in Vizcaino. It is more expensive here in Baja, but it might help with stopping some of those flats.

Just FYI --- it was 89 in the middle of the afternoon in Vizcaino two days ago.

Best of luck to you, and yes, ENJOY.

[Edited on 5-30-2012 by DianaT]

David K - 5-30-2012 at 08:14 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the update mexicoliving. I hope your both well rested and healed. I'm glad to know your changing course and taking the Pacific side, I think that's a good move. Your doing great, keep it up, stay focused on your mission and most of all enjoy the journey!

Actually, they changed course at Coco's Corner (from their posted route to go down one side of Baja and come back the other)...

It is good that they are making changes based on their desire and ability and not sticking to something that could harm them!

As of 8am today, they have not yet activated their Spot tracker, and the last point remains at Nuevo Rosarito, 4 days ago...

SPOT TRACKER LINK

David K - 5-30-2012 at 11:11 PM

Okay, so I am confused on today's track... :?::?::O

It started back at Nuevo Rosarito at 11:46 am... and for an hour they moved southbound at the usual slow speed until suddenly they were back at Nuevo Rosarito (at 1:10 pm).

By 1:41, they were southbound again until 3:50 at which point they turned around (again) and moved slowly north until 4:51pm, at which point they moved very fast and in just 8 minutes were back (again) in Nuevo Rosarito, at 4:59pm! There they remained until the final signal at 5:42pm.

goldhuntress - 5-31-2012 at 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

My BF drove them back up there yesterday. We talked last night about the tracking and he said where they were at 1:20 and 4:59 is around where the tire shop is. So they must have had tire problems or some other cart malfunction, can't know for sure. It looks like they are moving along now. I sure hope they don't have any more problems for awhile.

DianaT - 5-31-2012 at 07:54 AM

Quote:
Quote:

My BF drove them back up there yesterday. We talked last night about the tracking and he said where they were at 1:20 and 4:59 is around where the tire shop is. So they must have had tire problems or some other cart malfunction, can't know for sure. It looks like they are moving along now. I sure hope they don't have any more problems for awhile.

I know they wrote that they would start walking again from where they stopped walking before and good for them.

If you talk to your BF and if he is going to see them again, you might mention what I wrote above about SLIME if they are having more flat tires. It will not stop all of them, but it does help.

David K - 5-31-2012 at 08:06 AM

Indeed they are headed south from Nuevo Rosarito (again). So let's hope the third time is a charm!

Ateo - 5-31-2012 at 08:07 AM

That Llantera in Rosarito does good work. They fixed my 3 flat tires back in 2011. Get some SLIME like Diana T said.

Sprocket - 5-31-2012 at 10:45 AM

The cart/wagon has got to be really hard on them.
They need one of these. I took my son when he was little to all our favorite hiking spots and walking every evening for years. Never had a issue and wheeled around just fine.

[Edited on 5-31-2012 by Sprocket]

goldhuntress - 5-31-2012 at 10:58 AM

It seems like thinner tires would be easier on the road but harder in soft dirt. As far as the Green Slime there are 2 kinds I guess, one for tubeless tires and one for tube tires. My BF thinks the cart has tube tires. So it sounds like they will have the right kind in Vizcaino.

motoged - 5-31-2012 at 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sprocket
The cart/wagon has got to be really hard on them.
They need one of these. I took my son when he was little to all our favorite hiking spots and walking every evening for years. Never had a issue and wheeled around just fine.

[Edited on 5-31-2012 by Sprocket]

The amount of stuff they are packing on their cart would require three baby strollers....and pulling is easier than pushing. The wider tires on the cart are better in sand....the tube-type Slime is a great idea....and not running over cactus is also a good idea. They should also have flat repair stuff (patches and glue) and a bicycle hand pump....and know how to use it all.

Their trip seems like an ambitious idea that wasn't very well-planned....their hearts might be in the right place...

BajaBlanca - 5-31-2012 at 01:43 PM

well, how did I miss all this ? wonderful reading and boy, walking as far as they want, is enough of a challenge and really, it probably would have been better to plan it at a season other than summer BUT ... they are sure sounding positive and they sure have the right to go whenever they want !

wish you both the best of luck and also relieved to see that you are down to Earth and adjusting your route according to terrain. That shows insight and maturity.

sure wish I had seen this earlier so we could have met up like we did with Mike Y. - twice !

David K - 5-31-2012 at 06:22 PM

They are still well north of your turnoff!

David K - 5-31-2012 at 06:33 PM

Quite a BIG day... If they remain at their last position (6:11pm), they will have walked about 18 miles from Nuevo Rosarito to San Angel (about 6 miles north of Villa Jesus Maria)!

edit: that big point in the upper left is Punta Rosarito... aka 'The Wall'.

[Edited on 6-1-2012 by David K]

Udo - 5-31-2012 at 06:36 PM

When we met up with them about 20 miles north of Santa Rosalillita, they were afraid to knell down, or sit next to their cart for fear they may not be able to get back up.
I am guessing that in about 7 or 8 days they should be near San Ignacio, closer to your turn-off, Blanca.

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
well, how did I miss all this ? wonderful reading and boy, walking as far as they want, is enough of a challenge and really, it probably would have been better to plan it at a season other than summer BUT ... they are sure sounding positive and they sure have the right to go whenever they want !

wish you both the best of luck and also relieved to see that you are down to Earth and adjusting your route according to terrain. That shows insight and maturity.

sure wish I had seen this earlier so we could have met up like we did with Mike Y. - twice !

goldhuntress - 5-31-2012 at 06:49 PM

They went 18.2 miles today. Good for them. You know it doesn't seem like that all that far but when I think about going that distance plus carrying and pulling the gear, making camp, sleeping on the ground, getting up, packing up, all the stuff they have to do on a daily basis, I mean they have no comforts at all really, I give them a lot of credit. They're doing really good. I've walked 20 to 25 miles quite a few times and I usually go out after for some high carb food and drinks like nachos and margaritas, then go home and take a nice hot shower and sleep in my comfy bed. The whole time thinking I was pretty darn tough, ha, NOT!

David K - 6-1-2012 at 08:34 AM

They got underway at 7:23am Friday, June 1... Just a few miles north of Villa Jesus Maria now.

David K - 6-1-2012 at 06:44 PM

Looks like they got to about 8 miles south of Jesus Maria today!

David K - 6-2-2012 at 05:08 PM

They stopped at 1:43pm today, about 4 miles north of the state border/ Eagle Monument/ Parador Paralelo 28º

That looks to be only 8 miles for today, unless they have more to do still... until dark?

SPOT TRACKER LINK

[Edited on 6-3-2012 by David K]

Skipjack Joe - 6-2-2012 at 05:17 PM

They realized that they've forgotten their papers. They're waiting for the 7PM closing of the check guard.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

David K - 6-2-2012 at 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
They realized that they've forgotten their papers. They're waiting for the 7PM closing of the check guard.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Seriously! Heck, should we tell them about the (hush hush) road all the locals use to avoid that bit of government? You can easily see it in the Spot image, as well as the airport runway!

coconaco - 6-3-2012 at 08:32 AM

It the wagon subject to being sprayed?

Did they stop to consume their meats so they would not be confiscated?

David K - 6-3-2012 at 08:50 AM

As of 8:49am Sun., they have not moved (or have not turned on their Spot device).

goldhuntress - 6-3-2012 at 10:23 AM

All I know is that they are having problems with the cart and are trying to get it fixed.

David K - 6-3-2012 at 11:36 AM

Sounds like they would have had better luck with a donkey! Thanks for the update Goldhuntress!

mexicoliving - 6-3-2012 at 12:28 PM

Quick update everyone. It has been hell getting here, or rather back here. I feel like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day, waking up in the same stretch of Baja for over a week now.

As you know last Sat, we had two flats and came to Gro Negro to get them fixed along with picking up other stuff. Then last Wednesday returned to continue. We got dropped off by our new friend mas margaritas and away he drove. We walked about 1 mile and realized one of the tires was low again, so we returned. This time the llantera was open, so he pumped the tire and poured water over it as we both looked for bubbles or problems. None were seen, so wer got back on the road.

About 5 miles later on one of regular stops - we work in rounds, like a fighter and every 30 minutes we reset the timer, sometimes we drink or eat, other times we continue. Our goal is 16 rounds per day. At this round, we were drinking when we hear "pppsssstt" and the tire that just got a good bill of health blew and was instantly flat.

After getting past the swearing and complaining, we decided to head back to Rosarito again, so we stuck out our thumb...after a while of no luck, we began dragging the cart towards our destination. After about 3 of the hardest miles, we were picked up by Tomas and Gabby from Loreto in their old Ryder rental truck, or a least it looked like one. They drove us back to the llantera.

Turns out the tire blew at the value stem and there was no fixing it and we had no spare. By this time the guy at the llantera was different from the previous guy that had given the good bill of health, so we explained the situation. He then went into the back and started digging through his junk, truly...he came back a little while later with a tire exactly like ours, and the tube was in perfect shape. Unbelievable.

The tire was fixed, but in fixing it we realized all four wheels were wobbling pretty bad, so we worked to get them tightened using washer, but really didn't have a lot of luck. By the time we were ready for the road again it was too late to start walking again. I asked one of the guys that was being such a great help to us, if there was place to camp and he invited us to stay in his yard across the street. Turns out his yard in beautifully landscaped with a giant tree and lots of roses and blossoming flowers. Very, very nice.

His name is Alfredo, and after a long Spanglish conversation we found out that half his family is Scottish, which is the same as Rachel and her family. We made plan to return in October to join him and his family for the San Borja Fiesta.

The next morning we hit the road, and although we had to walk the same miles again, we were ready to do it and did over 18 miles. The next day we did over 17 miles, during which we got another flat - if you can believe it. This time we decided to continue forward and swore we would not return to Nuevo Rosarito until October. So we dragged the cart about 5 miles further to the military checkpoint, thinking the would have a compressor or something, so such luck.

We left the check point and continued on, but this time Rachel started flagging every gringo we saw, knowing any smart gringo driving the Baja usually has a 12-volt tire pump (we do too, back home in our car). One couple said they did, and said they would help, but then drove onto the checkpoint. So, we had to return back ourselves, and go back through the checkpoint to the other side. They didn't have a pump, but gave us a can of fix-a-flat. We were very happy and now this problem and possibly any more could be fixed. We didn't get a chance to talk much, the man seemed in a hurry and then the military told us to leave - we were causing some disruption because people were trying to talk to us from their cars while waiting to get through the checkpoint, even a nice lady named Carolyn got out of her truck and came over to tell us her and her husband had been following us on Baja Nomads.

The three nights were bitter cold, and really wet. At one point we thought it was raining from the sound on our tents. We stayed inside and got started late, hoping a little sun would come out, it never did until at least 1PM, after which the wind would get going and kick our butts all the way until we stopped and setup camp, which was another problem in this area. It wasn't long after Nuevo Rosarito that the large cactus, trees and other such plant life got very thin, and finding a good hiding place at night became a problem. We had to drag the cart through soft sand for a long distance to get out of view of the highway, but we managed.

On the third day, right around the lunch hour our friend Mas Margaritas showed up with tortas and Powerades for lunch. It was great, until he told us we were actually 4 miles further away than we had thought. This was a new problem because it was Saturday and we had packages of necessary equipment and supplies waiting for us at the bus station, and we knew they would be closed on Sunday. Fortunately, Mas Margaritas went into town to the station and charmed the boxes out of the manager, even though the sign on the wall clearly said "no factura number, np package" and of course we had no factura number. But when Mas Margaritas arrived back to us, a couple hours later he had both of our boxes.

During the time Mas Margaritas was gone the wobbling of our wheels began to get worse and was starting to squeak. So, although we had about 6 miles to go, we got a ride back into Gro Negro in hopes of catching a llantera before the end of the day and we did. I explained the problem and clearly illustrated it to them by wiggling the two tires I needed fixed. They tore them apart and said I needed new barrings. "No problem, go ahead and get them for me" I told them. So, off in a car one of the guys goes, so I asked the other if I could come back in an hour and check on the progress and he said okay. An hour later when I returned they had "fixed the wrong tires" and not only did they not fix it, they were worse, only now covered in grease.

After a verbal fight between the two of them, obviously one was the boss and the other a younger apprentice that wouldn't listen, they put washers on both tires. The washer stopped the wobbling, but it also stopped the tires from spinning. So now the empty cart feels like it is carrying a load. No bueno.

We have decided to try a mechanic in the morning before we go back to where we got picked up to continue to walk. The positive side is that in the boxes we received from our good friends Gene Jensen (San Felipe), Cathy Tiwald (San Felipe), and Jackie and Marty Alameda (Click-on Puerto Nuevo) were lots of medical supplies, batteries for our SPOT, freeze dried foods, and other goodies, and 3 new pairs of HIGH TECH running/walking shoes and socks.

Our new friend Jerry Freer, also relayed a message from Timothy Means, the owner of Baja Expeditions in La Paz, that now only can we stay a couple of days at his Whale Watching camp on the San Ignacio Lagoon and will also welcome us to La Paz, where we can have a small press conference in his building. We'll keep you posted.

That's it for now.

Skipjack Joe - 6-3-2012 at 12:56 PM

All right! The new shoes look great. Good luck with the cart. GN has just about everything. They should be able to fix the cart there. Maybe built a better one. It's fortunate that your problems happened so close to town.

Dragging that cart through sand must have been tough.

Cypress - 6-3-2012 at 01:04 PM

mexicoliving. Welcome aboard!!

Graham - 6-4-2012 at 06:46 AM

Feeling cool under a mid-summer Baja sun sounds heavenly to me. So glad to hear of the route change.

Sadly, sounds like the cart will never make it from San Ignacio to the lagoon and down to San Juanico and the paved road. Done sterling service but might be more trouble than it's worth "off-road."

Great suggestion from David about getting a burro. I bought my amigo for $30 in San Ignacio and walked him to Laguna San Ignacio then all the way to Cabo.

With Bonny the burro heading to Laguna San Ignacio

Donkeys have a way of slowing you down and helping you enjoy the breaks and smell the roses. And inevitably gain you lots of attention and friends… which can’t be bad for all those worthy causes you’re supporting.

Mision, burro #2, making friends at roadside check point

I’d add... enjoy time in the fishcamps along the way, take a few trips out with the fishermen and get to really appreciate and celebrate the superb kindness and hospitality of the good folks of Baja California.

If you “only” get as far as Cabo… that’s a wonderfully worthy totally amazing achievement.

Looking forward to the rest of the story.

mexicoliving - 6-4-2012 at 03:42 PM

Damn, will we ever leave this place? Don't get me wrong, Guerrero Negro is not a bad place, but enough is enough.

This morning we had another flat, and we hadn't even gone anywhere, thanks to the llantera. Plus after the llantera fixed our barrings, the cart would not roll - literally. Completely empty it felt as if it had a full load. So, we had to stay another day, because nothing was open on Sunday.

Tomorrow we will be leaving hell or high water, nearly everything that could go wrong has, and all has been fixed by good luck, or simply by a series of miracles; either way we are good to go. However, even with the good luck, none of it could have been possible without the help of our new life-long amigo Mas Margaritas. Today alone he has taken us from the mechanic, to the llantera (different one), hardware store, laundromat, back to the hardware store, a couple more times, the Internet cafe, then Baja Pack to ship some equipment back home again, and on and on. We even had a chance to pick up a new tarp, for both protecting our air mattress from the cholla, but to also create a larger shade area when we're hiding from the sun. We are so thankful!

I also want to give a few plugs to not only Mas Margaritas, but to some local Guerrero Negro businesses that you should know about, and one you should not. First, if you are ever in need of a mechanic in this neck of the woods, I give a 10 out of 10 stars to Los Liebres Taller. The owner is Noe Villavicencio, and he is not only a mellow, soft spoken man, that speaks English fairly well, but he is an honest, meticulous and thorough mechanic. His shop is the first building on the right as you enter town. It's surrounded by a big white wall.

The second is Juan Carlos, he is the owner of Llantera Ezqueda. The shop (sort of) is on the south side of the street, next to small grocery store and a seafood c-cktail cart, about in the middle of town. Very pleasant man, a long time amigo or our friend Coco. Good guy if you need tires.

Both of these men were a big help to us today. Gracias amigos. Oh and besides all that, neither of them charged us a dime or peso, even after we tried to insist on paying. Gotta love Baja.

The other business that needs a little plug, is the new Mr. Pollo chicken restaurant, just a block east of the Pacifico agency (talk about convenience). Their chicken is just about the best I have ever had, and both Rachel and I consume mucho pollo. Friendly staff, clean, inexpensive and extremely tasty.

As for the one to avoid. The llantera directly across the street from Motel Don Vicente as you enter town. They fixed two tires, and the barrings, all of which lasted only a day or so, and the barrings not at all; hence the two new friends Juan Carlos and Neo.

We now have all tires, in addition to a brand new tire, tube and wheel we found in town if you can believe it, for only $160 pesos - amazing. We even got all new bolts, nuts and washers for the steering system on the cart, so we are rock solid. We are excited to get back on the road and start walking. With our new shoes, new cart and new enthusiasm, watch our daily miles start to grow.

As for the need of a burro, no way Jose. I am the burro, or El Burro as Coco calls me and although I am stubborn and occasionally smelly, like a burro, I'll walk when Rachel says walk, unlike a burro. And Graham, I would have to disagree that our cart won't make it. It made it down the San Felipe trail (Highway 5) no problem and that is the roughest road we have yet to encounter...anywhere. We are going to continue doing what we're doing and we will make it, even if this burro, has to carry it all myself. However, we appreciate the suggestion ;-)

We'll keep you posted and please stop and say "hola" if you see us on the road. P.S. We are not likely to be able to post again for a few days at best.

John & Rachel Pack

sancho - 6-4-2012 at 04:19 PM

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, Guerrero Negro is not a bad place, but enough is enough.

That reminds me of a guy I spoke to at the Nuke Plant
so. of San Clemente where I worked, he said he LIVED
in G Negro for 7 yrs., my reaction was like anybodys,
what the heck did you do in G Negro for 7 yrs?
Said he was manager at the Salt Evaporation Mine,
he had a line I always remembered responding to
my surprise anyone would live there, ' You can find
beauty anywhere you are'

Skipjack Joe - 6-4-2012 at 04:45 PM

Sounds to me as though you've become quite attached to your cart.

I was going to suggest that perhaps you bring along a spare wheel before you leave Guerrero Negro. A breakdown between San Ignacio and Insurgentes won't be as easy to fix.

Also, if you have any pictures please download them during this time at GN. I'm dying to see what it's like. Hopefully you're taking snapshots of the difficult moments. They will be very valuable some day.

David K - 6-4-2012 at 08:24 PM

If you think Hwy. 5 south of San Felipe was as bad as a Baja road gets, boy do you have a surprise coming when you come to a silt bed or any other 'typical' Baja off pavement road!! South of San Ignacio (on the Baja 1000 course) you may wish you used a donkey as Graham and Mike Younghusband had!!

But, by all means, keep positive and we DO wish you success!!:bounce::bounce::bounce:

MikeYounghusband - 6-5-2012 at 05:27 AM

When you leave the HWY and take the western route it will be cooler, but, rough roads are one thing, you are going to encounter deep white soft sand for days and weeks at a time. I can't imagine pulling or pushing a cart through that. If the cart breaks down there, it is decision making time. There are areas that even Don-Kay had trouble with. You have a point, you don't have to feed and water a wagon. You have a good positive attitude, keep it up and remember that all that happens is "part of the adventure".
Good luck.

goldhuntress - 6-5-2012 at 11:22 AM

They are on the road again! Hopefully they can go for awhile without being plagued with problems. They've got gumption that's for sure.

[Edited on 6-5-2012 by goldhuntress]

goldhuntress - 6-5-2012 at 01:04 PM

It's been a frustrating 8 or 9 days for John and Rachel and now Guerrero Negro is finally in their rear view mirror. Cool!

June 5, 2012

David K - 6-5-2012 at 08:14 PM

shari - 6-5-2012 at 08:24 PM

We looked for them on the highway today to GN...I had some "roadies" for them and treats...had to drink and eat them all myself! dang

goldhuntress - 6-5-2012 at 09:14 PM

I know they are holed up in abandoned shack for the night. The weather there is cold, windy, and nasty from what I hear.

goldhuntress - 6-6-2012 at 11:38 AM

They have gone 7 miles so far today, keep it up guys!

DianaT - 6-6-2012 at 12:14 PM

The way they keep changing and adapting, I believe they will make it on the dirt roads ahead ---- they will figure out a way.

June 6, 2:20pm PDT

David K - 6-6-2012 at 02:30 PM

Almost to the EL ARCO highway junction (Mex. #18)...

DianaT - 6-6-2012 at 02:52 PM

I hope they are not speeding as that stretch of highway is a favorite for the Federales. :biggrin:

Seriously, there are some very narrow parts of the highway in that area and while it can appear to be rather flat, it is not so cars can appear quickly! STAY SAFE!

The Changes

David K - 6-6-2012 at 03:03 PM

For those who hadn't been here from the start of their walk, here was the original route map and schedule:

Walk Dates:
•San Felipe – Sat, May 12
•Puertecitos – Mon, May 14
•Gonzaga Bay – Wed, May 16
•Mision de Calamajue – Fri, May 18
•Bahia de los Angeles – Mon, May 21
•San Ignacio – Tues, May 29
•Santa Rosalia- Thurs, June 1
•Mulege – Sun, June 3
•Loreto – Thurs/Fri, June 7/8
•La Paz – Thurs/Fri, June 21/22
•Los Barriles – Mon, June 25
•San Jose del Cabo – Fri, June 29
•Cabo San Lucas – Sat, June 30
•Todos Santos – Mon, July 2
•Bahia de Magdalena – Mon/Tues, July 9/10
•Laguna San Ignacio – Fri/Sat/Sun July 20/21/22
•Guerrero Negro – Fri, July 27
•Santa Rosalillita – Tues, July 31
•Santa Rosalia (El Rosario) – Thurs, Aug 9
•San Quintin – Sat, Aug 11
•Ensenada – Thurs/Fri, Aug 16/17
•Puerto Nuevo - Click-On, Sun, Aug 19

Udo - 6-6-2012 at 05:17 PM

Thanks for the update, DK.

We have really been curious about their trip since we met up with them two weeks ago.:bounce:

woody with a view - 6-6-2012 at 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
We looked for them on the highway today to GN...I had some "roadies" for them and treats...had to drink and eat them all myself! dang

you're the best!

MikeYounghusband - 6-6-2012 at 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari

AND those roadies and treats are the best

David K - 6-7-2012 at 08:28 AM

They be movin'! Already passed by the El Arco junction...

SPOT TRACKER LINK

[Edited on 6-8-2012 by David K]

June 7

David K - 6-7-2012 at 05:53 PM

Looks like they are about 10 miles from Vizcaino, tonight...

goldhuntress - 6-7-2012 at 06:13 PM

They went 17.3 miles today, cool!:yes:

David K - 6-7-2012 at 06:18 PM

17.3 miles on straight, flat, paved road... it doesn't get any easier... and that just shows you the limit of such conditions. They had proposed to do 20 miles a day, much of it on dirt roads!

Hope they are doing well, and the new wagon tires hold out!

Ateo - 6-7-2012 at 06:51 PM

Making good progress. They're probably walking veterans by now and hopefully have the camping situation dialed in.

Skipjack Joe - 6-7-2012 at 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ateo
Making good progress. They're probably walking veterans by now and hopefully have the camping situation dialed in.

:lol::lol: Their quads probably look like that of a soccer player.

goldhuntress - 6-7-2012 at 08:06 PM

Quote:
17.3 miles on straight, flat, paved road... it doesn't get any easier... and that just shows you the limit of such conditions. They had proposed to do 20 miles a day, much of it on dirt roads!

Hope they are doing well, and the new wagon tires hold out!

Walking on pavement sucks. Walking on dirt is MUCH easier. It's easier on the joints and the feet. Believe me, they would rather not be walking south on pavement pushing/pulling a cart with traffic whizzing by. John's back going out has had a domino effect. Nothing is as it was planned now and I think they should be getting a lot of credit for pushing on and following their dream. I think they are pretty tough and getting tougher by the day.

David K - 6-7-2012 at 08:58 PM

The wagon must be why they are on the highway, if dirt was easier to walk on, yes?

goldhuntress - 6-8-2012 at 08:26 AM

I would think they would be trying to walk on dirt when possible, when the wagon can handle it. It's a noticeable relief to tired, sore feet, plus no cars whizzing right by. The wagon seems to have turned out to be the cure and the problem all at the same time. Mike Younghusband said it gets really sandy on the route they've chosen so it will be interesting to see what they come up with for that.
They just started out today and zooming in on the hybrid view it looks like they are on the dirt.

FRI. Afternoon: Vizcaino

David K - 6-8-2012 at 02:59 PM

They have arrived at Vizcaino and their last signal was an hour and a half ago...

Close Up:

mexicoliving - 6-8-2012 at 08:02 PM

Hola everyone,

We finally made it Vizcaino and it's been a few hard days getting here. Thanks to David K, Gold Huntress, Ateo and everyone else for all the kind words and support.

We are working ourselves pretty hard and trying to make some solid progress each day. We had a hard time leaving G.N. and didn't make the progress we wanted June 5 after Mas Margaritas dropped us off.

We finally starting walking around 11AM, when there was still some overcast skies and a light breeze. But, by the time we reached the military base and parallel 28, the wind was picking up. It was about that time that Roberto, the new owner of the La Pinta Hotel, Desert Inn, and now the Halfway Inn, stopped by in his new passenger van to let us know that not only could we stay for free at his hotel, but our meals would be free as well. We sure wished we had talked to him sooner. But, at that moment there was no way we could have stayed another day, even for free food and stay.

We walked until we saw some Log Cabins and with the wind the way it was, we went to investigate only to find a dog that didn't want us around and no people. We thought we could hide behind one of the cabins, but it wasn't good with the dog and Rachel found that cabin #1 was open, so we moved in...which made me nervous, but since it was on Benito Juarez Ejido, we figured we would have some support with a couple of friends we recently made that are part of the ejido. We even sent a text to Mas Margaritas, and he said he could check on the owners, it was getting late so we just said we would risk it. The cabin turned out to be a blessing and we got out of the wind, set the tent up inside, made dinner and went to sleep.

The next day we put on some miles. the terrain was getting flat with very little vegetation to hide behind, and although both sides of the highway were fenced, we were able to find an opening and some sand dunes that we had to drag the wagon to and set up camp out of view of the road. I believe we did more than 17 miles this day.

Yes, our original goal was 20 miles each day, but that was before the wagon and the injuries of the past coming back to not only haunt me, but almost take me down. Thank god for good friends, the ability to change our plans and good pain killers.

The next day was even more difficult, the fences were never ending and the terrain left nothing to hide. We decided to continue to Ejido Segunda Etada, a place our friend Jerry Freer described as creepy. He was right, it looked like something straight out of either Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Down of the Dead. It was a small community, that looked as if the people were evacuated, or ran. Buildings incomplete, and personal property laying about, even all the trees were dead. Very eery place, but it was the furthest we could go. We were both hurting, legs, feet and attitudes. So, that is were we stayed, inside a half completed building, or possibly it had once been complete, but on this night it had 3 windows without windows, and 2 doors without doors, and no roof - but it did provide shelter.

Today, we walked for while counting down the kms, not in any hurry knowing that Vizcaino was not too far. About half way to our goal, Rachel spotted a small puppy, when it saw us it ran to hide. But, on realizing Rachel meant it no harm it slowly crawled closer to her. It appeared as if the puppy had been left to die in the last couple of days; the monster that left it, was barely kind enough to leave it water and dump it where truckers throw trash. Needless to say, we couldn't leave it to die, so we now have this really cute, female puppy riding on the wagon.

That being said, we can not keep her, so if anyone can help us with this problem, we would GREATLY appreciate it. She is really very beautiful, very kind, all light brown with white patch on the chest and green eyes. Truly a sweet, well mannered dog. We can't seem to find any reason someone would throw her away, except maybe she is female, or the fact she doesn't bark, at least not that we have heard...to this point she is silent.

Today we were also lucky enough to actually have a frontage road, solid enough to walk on...plus it has been getting hotter and hotter, and the temperature of the pavement is hard of our feet, tires, shoes and body overall. Looks like we will be going back to early morning and late afternoon walking.

We have had a heck of walk up to this point, and we have much more to go, so keep watching and supporting and please stop to say hello if you pass us...on that note....

A little social commentary...we have been keeping track of the people offering kindness and support along the road, and it is currently 22 Mexican and 9 Gringos...albeit this is Mexico, but none of the Mexican's offering support were solicited and all but 4 of the gringos were...And we have nearly been run off the road 3 times, once we were literally pushed over and all were by gringos with California plates...one even refused to stop for a semi truck flashing him, but then after he was passed the truck he took the time to stop and cuz' us out. Go figure...And we were even off the road, stopped and waiting for the truck to pass as we do in those situations. The point is, chill out, Baja Highway 1, ain't Interstate 5 and there ain't no sidewalk ;-) Looking forward to San Ignacio and making a right hand turn to no traffic and dirt roads.

John & Rachel Pack

Oh, btw we added a few more pictures:
http://bajagoodlife.com/connect/image-gallery/?album=BajaWal...

Ateo - 6-8-2012 at 08:17 PM

All I have to say is keep going until you can't go anymore and see you in Rosarito.

Graham - 6-9-2012 at 12:44 AM

Got to admire the spirit and determination and the fascinating accounts.

Great job rescuing that little dog... sounds like she'll be a wonderful companion for some lucky soul.

Curt63 - 6-9-2012 at 06:54 AM

Thanks for the pics and great job so far.

One suggestion. If your current rig isn't ready for weeks of sand travel, consider changing out axles and tires to quad tires before you leave San Ignacio. Its going to get very sandy and lonely out there.

Keep up the good work!

Desertbull - 6-9-2012 at 09:44 AM

When you make the left turn at towards El Datil I highly suggest you figure out the route thru the Tidal Flats because the Sand Hwy is just THAT for 30+miles and dragging that wagon in the deep sand is gonna require some torque. Just trying to forewarn and help you! Great adventure...I'll be by in a week or so...

mexicoliving - 6-9-2012 at 10:24 AM

We will be leaving early in the morning. Our plan was to go over the mesa when we leave the Lagoon, instead of the salt flats, however is sounds like that may not be the best idea?

We have a whole new front-end on the wagon, and good knobby tires. today we are going to look for a couple fo new tires because we noticed the heat is causing two of the tires to go bald.

The cart is about 200lbs. and requires some elbow grease, as my Dad used to say, but we have pulled it up many mountains okay so far, but the sand is by far more difficult, so we truly appreciate any and all insight.

We will have internet the rest of the day, but by morning we will be disconnected for a few days. Today, we are just going to take care of the tires, a few supplies, a haircut and shave hopefully and finding the puppy a home - HOPEFULLY. We don't want to carry a puppy or have it in the tent, things are tough enough without the puppy. Wish we hadn't seen her, but what can you do? Can't allow something to die, if it can be helped. Plus, she is so damn cute.

On that note, if anyone can maybe hang on to her until we are completed, at which time we will have her spayed and find her a good home. We just can't take her, keep her, and could use some help with this problem. Vizcaino doesn't have a shelter that we can find.

David K - 6-9-2012 at 10:31 AM

Thank you... and a great looking pup!

mtgoat666 - 6-9-2012 at 10:35 AM

Quote:
A little social commentary...we have been keeping track of the people offering kindness and support along the road, and it is currently 22 Mexican and 9 Gringos...albeit this is Mexico, but none of the Mexican's offering support were solicited and all but 4 of the gringos were...And we have nearly been run off the road 3 times, once we were literally pushed over and all were by gringos with California plates...one even refused to stop for a semi truck flashing him, but then after he was passed the truck he took the time to stop and cuz' us out. Go figure...And we were even off the road, stopped and waiting for the truck to pass as we do in those situations.

i recall a few nomads on this board that have expressed their anger at bicyclists or walkers using roads in baja. some people are ignorant jerks. don't let them drag you down.

you are probably correct that mexicans behave better than gringos, something pathological about gringos,...

don't worry, be happy!
always look on the bright side of life!
peace out!

mexicoliving - 6-9-2012 at 10:54 AM

At this point, no one gets an exclusive on the highway, it's for us all. And until Baja gets a sidewalk or bike path, they'll have to live with us all sharing. Besides, they need to slow down or they will miss much of what Baja has to offer.:tumble:

DENNIS - 6-9-2012 at 11:58 AM

Quote:
At this point, no one gets an exclusive on the highway, it's for us all. And until Baja gets a sidewalk or bike path, they'll have to live with us all sharing. Besides, they need to slow down or they will miss much of what Baja has to offer.:tumble:

Yeah....you tell 'em. :lol::lol:

sancho - 6-9-2012 at 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
you are probably correct that mexicans behave better than gringos

My experience has led me to believe that statement,
nothing against us Gringos. I gave up long ago
trying to express that to my friends who are not
familiar with Mexicans in Mexico

motoged - 6-9-2012 at 02:17 PM

Nomads,
Do you remember when ChrisX complained about traffic on the highway and how it was dangerous for him as a cyclist?

Everybody was down on him for being so stupid as to ride a bicycle on the highway....

These folks are no different in regards to the risk they present themselves and others.

And to boot, it appears that they are not walking on the "left" side of the road so they can see oncoming traffic :?:

I applaud their desire to have an adventure and the physical effort they are putting out...but struggle with their poor planning and preparation and some very basic practical issues.

Just sayin'

MikeYounghusband - 6-9-2012 at 03:25 PM

Your right the hwy just plain sucks to walk on. The shoulder is just about as bad and in the places where there is no shoulder makes life a real bummer. Honestly you need a burro. Believe me they are a blessing and can do it all. Start asking around and you might get lucky. Its a whole new adventure, one you will love. Everybody slows down to see the burro.

Desertbull - 6-9-2012 at 04:24 PM

Re: the Road(s) to San Juanico

1. The high road is over grown and washed out in many places filled with rocks and will make it difficult to navigate through the Mesa. it can reach 100+ degrees inland on this route. Very little traffic except some off road Moto guys and a couple ranchers.

2. The washboard "regular" road turns into a Sand Hwy for 30+ miles on the way to El Datil. Would be tough to pull your wagon thru the sand no matter how big your knobs are...so so on the traffic of people going to South to San Juanico.

3. The most common route for locals is the Tidal Flats, hard packed and easy for your wagon to roll, easy to follow the black tire tracks as it makes it's way thru the tidal flats. This route would offer some kind of support from locals and tourists and it would be much cooler as it runs parallel to the beach...and it would be better camping over the days you would be traveling in that area..and I'm going this way and I'll see you on Monday the 18th somewhere along the way! :biggrin:

thebajarunner - 6-9-2012 at 07:49 PM

Good advice DBull
Those sandy roads above the dunes are a bear to drive, we actually hung up the rear end gear on the pickup on the sandy middle of the two ruts. Tough to keep going when you are dragging through that crud.

The only down side of the "beach route" is the possibility of getting caught by tides and stuck in soft wet stuff. Those can sneak up on you quickly when you are driving fast in a vehicle, but on foot, pulling a little wagon should never be a problem.

Skipjack Joe - 6-10-2012 at 07:39 AM

Desertbull,

I googled the route a couple of days ago and it looked as though tidal flats were not available all the way to Scorpion Bay. It looked like a section of the journey from a river that enters the pacific about 5 miles north of Scorpion Bay to the Bay itself only has inland roads which look quite sandy. I don't see salt flats there nor any roads leading to the coast.

Are they going to have a difficult time in this area?

Perhaps someone at San Juanico can drive them through this short section.

Desertbull - 6-10-2012 at 08:48 AM

The Tidal flat zone ends about 4 miles south of El Datil and then you traverse the dunes for less than a mile and pass by a healthy ranch and onto San Juanico on the remaining washboard.

mexicoliving - 6-10-2012 at 01:54 PM

Just a quick update to let you know you found a nice home for the puppy, so she will not be joining us on the rest of the walk!

mexicoliving - 6-10-2012 at 05:05 PM

It sounds as if the tide flats will be the best choice. We expect to stay a day or two at the Baja Expedition camp, and will be using the time to investigate the route further by asking anyone and everyone coming or going. We truly appreciate the insight you all are providing - thank you immensely. DesertBull, we look forward to meeting you in route, you should be able to find us okay, we'll be the ones pulling the cart :lol:

Ateo - 6-10-2012 at 05:19 PM

I would definitely do the salt flats. Hard pack, wide open and all roads pretty much lead to the same place - Datil. If you have any stickers, the local kids will be very excited.

Here's what your in store for:

bajasuzie - 6-10-2012 at 07:13 PM

Way to go John and Rachel! We are waiting for you down here in San Jose!

goldhuntress - 6-10-2012 at 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajasuzie
Way to go John and Rachel! We are waiting for you down here in San Jose!

Cool Suzie:yes::yes:
And cool you found a home for the pup too mexicoliving! They say good things happen to good people, I'm counting on that for you! Safe travels, your doing it!

Graham - 6-10-2012 at 10:27 PM

You guys are an inspiration.

And what a lucky puppy. Good job.

David K - 6-11-2012 at 12:35 AM

Looking forward to their next leg: Vizcaino to San Ignacio!

SPOT TRACKER LINK

Udo - 6-11-2012 at 07:50 AM

Lucky puppy!

Glad she found a new home and to be eating real food.

mexicoliving - 6-11-2012 at 07:07 PM

We are leaving in the morning. We had to wait until today to take care of some banking stuff, since this will be the last bank in a long time. We are ready to start walking.

I have gone from a size 44 waist to a size 38 waist, I know because I just bought some new shorts today at the segunda. But with all the Al Pastor tacos and Pacifico in the last few days I may have put it back on, so it'll be good to get back to freeze dried food and pedialit.

Also, I want everyone to know the people that own Kadekaman Hotel and RV park are really very cool. We have friends that have know them 15 years, it was our first time talking to them personally. Today we sat and chatted with Maria, the mother for a very long time and although it was Spanglish all the way, it was fabulous and just adore them. We will be back.

See you all on the road tomorrow. Thanks everyone.

woody with a view - 6-11-2012 at 07:19 PM

Quote:
Today we sat and chatted with Maria, the mother for a very long time and although it was Spanglish all the way, it was fabulous and just adore them. We will be back.

i agreed with the sentiment. some of the nicest people i have met i spent an unexpected day or 3 with and we basically understood every third word but knew exactly what the other was trying to say! have fun!

June 12

David K - 6-12-2012 at 06:37 PM

Well, they are back on the road after a few days rest in Vizcaino... Looks like they walked about 12 miles down Hwy. 1 today.

They appear to be near Rancho Los Angeles, maybe about 3 miles north of the junction to San Francisquito de la Sierra.

David K - 6-13-2012 at 08:40 AM

This morning (Wednesday), they are moving along quite well, already passed by the road to San Francisco de la Sierra... Blanca, they should make it to your 'driveway' (12 miles more) by this afternoon!

Skipjack Joe - 6-13-2012 at 08:51 AM

This is the section that looks to me to be a place where the cart will have problems.

The top left is El Datil. The bottom right with the airplane icon is Scorpion Bay. There are tide flat roads at El Datil but you need to zoom in to see them. As you can see there are no flats between El Datil and Scorpion Bay. The road leaves the flats at El Datil and follows that river/arroyo along it's nothern bank for a ways and crosses it. As you can see, it then proceeds inland to Scorpion Bay.

If you could zoom in you would see that the road between the crossing of the river and the crossing of the next river southward looks to be quite sandy. I can't make out the distance. Further on, the road to the airplane icon in mid page could be sandy as well. They may need assistance in this area.

bajawalk11.jpg - 41kB

Pages:  1  2    4    6  7