BajaNomad

What Is West Baja walk

Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  9

MMc - 3-3-2013 at 05:00 PM

10 miles per day no big deal, most long hikers start with 10 mile goal per day after the second week mileage will increases almost daily. I know guys that were walking 30 miles a day on the PCT by the time they got to OR and WA. While doing the JMT and the High Sierra trail We were clicking off 15 -18 miles days buy the end.
I would love to freeload my way down the Baja Coast. With a surfboard, even better.

micah202 - 3-3-2013 at 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by micah202
......it's looking like this trip has more for the 'free-loader's guide to Baja',,,than NationalG:lol:

...sooo,,,back to the (sub)-topic........
.........what makes this an epic adventure,,worthy of filming & funding??:?:

.......'''oh,oh!!...we got blisters 'cuase we didn't know to actually -use- our boots before we embarked on this splendid sortie,,,,,,but then another nomad came along and -saved- us with another meal and cervesa's and place to stay,,,thank heavens'':biggrin::biggrin:

...........actually methinks they were -expecting- and preparing for more challenges than they've gotten so far,,investing in that de-salinator is an indicator of that,,and who knows if they were aware of the generosityof nomads and isolated natives??

[Edited on 3-4-2013 by micah202]

DENNIS - 3-3-2013 at 05:07 PM

Man....you guys are a tough crowd. :wow:

micah202 - 3-3-2013 at 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Well I guess then no one can measure up to your qualifications!!

......don't need to,,,,each person makes their own on this fine planet:yes:!

EnsenadaDr - 3-3-2013 at 05:14 PM

Dennis, it's no use arguing with these guys...they are just miserable.

micah202 - 3-3-2013 at 05:16 PM

Quote:

......you just don't -get- it!!:yawn::yawn:

,,,,,as I said above.........''actually methinks they were -expecting- and preparing for more challenges than they've gotten so far,,investing in that de-salinator is an indicator of that,,and who knows if they were aware of the generosityof nomads and isolated natives??''

...........do you think -they- really beleive they're cutting nationalG material,,,,-yet-??????????

....don't be such an appologist and open your eyes!

chuckie - 3-3-2013 at 05:20 PM

Doc, we are NOT miserable...just pointing out the facts of this thing...No one is arguing except you....You are pompous enough to ask for OUR qualifications?..This isnt about us...its about them Get over your self...

DENNIS - 3-3-2013 at 05:25 PM

Quote:

I'm not arguing with them. As you may recall, I voiced some negativity when all this first started, but seeing the ambulatory fiesta they seem to have turned it into, kinda puts the venture in it's proper place....for me anyway.
It's hard to imagine this will ever be presented as an NG Epic Adventure....more like "Two guys having a memorable time on the road in Baja."
Kerouac would be proud of their efforts, so why can't I be the same?

TampicoTrauma - 3-3-2013 at 05:26 PM

I hate to be falling on the side of the argumentative... But don't you think it would be good to have some survival and/or EMT training going into this?

And maybe a first aid kit... And maybe a pocket pole to go along with the hand line?

TampicoTrauma - 3-3-2013 at 05:31 PM

And maybe to have broken out the desal pump to make sure it worked!!!

J.P. - 3-3-2013 at 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TampicoTrauma
I hate to be falling on the side of the argumentative... But don't you think it would be good to have some survival and/or EMT training going into this?

And maybe a first aid kit... And maybe a pocket pole to go along with the hand line?

Havent you ever watched a native use a hand line and the neck of a beer bottle as a rod and reel.
It's really cool. :cool::cool:

woody with a view - 3-3-2013 at 05:34 PM

i refuse to be miserable!:spingrin:

DENNIS - 3-3-2013 at 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
i refuse to be miserable!:spingrin:

It takes too much effort to really be good at it. :biggrin:

EnsenadaDr - 3-3-2013 at 05:38 PM

I am not referring to you...I am referring that it is not worth it for me to be arguing with these guys here. I think the photos have been quite stunning so far, and as old as we all are here why not give some encouragement? I guess that is too much to ask. Dennis, you were all for the old couple that started out in the middle of summer with the guy being 60 pounds overweight with blisters on his feet, every foot they walked was applauded and they stopped frequently for beers and tacos. I was against it because they were in bad health and the heat could have given the guy a stroke or heart attack at any minute. I think any exercise anyone does these days is great...I'd like to hear more about Chuckie's business, 78 years old and hiking all that distance...that's great Chuckie!! Or maybe Micah could contribute on some of his past adventures, let's make this board a positive thing!!
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

I'm not arguing with them. As you may recall, I voiced some negativity when all this first started, but seeing the ambulatory fiesta they seem to have turned it into, kinda puts the venture in it's proper place....for me anyway.
It's hard to imagine this will ever be presented as an NG Epic Adventure....more like "Two guys having a memorable time on the road in Baja."
Kerouac would be proud of their efforts, so why can't I be the same?

chuckie - 3-3-2013 at 05:39 PM

I tried once, and then I divorced her...

TampicoTrauma - 3-3-2013 at 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.
Quote:

Yea.. They don't have a bottle... Nor a pot to pee in...

[Edited on 3-4-2013 by TampicoTrauma]

micah202 - 3-3-2013 at 05:56 PM

...'doctor'......do you know how to read???....

.....fromabove......
'''......you just don't -get- it!!.... 'actually methinks they were -expecting- and preparing for more challenges than they've gotten so far,,investing in that de-salinator is an indicator of that,,and who knows if they were aware of the generosityof nomads and isolated natives??''

...........do you think -they- really beleive they're cutting nationalG material,,,,-yet-??????????

.........there's a difference between being poly-anna positive about a -nothing- adventure,,,,and being -REAL-!!!:wow:

...........will they be hiking across the peninsula following the highway??????:o:o:o

TampicoTrauma - 3-3-2013 at 05:59 PM

Ya know...

All I'm saying is that this is some of the nastiest country that probably exists in Baja...

It's the last frontier...

I've been there.. I've seen it... You go prepared...

Or don't go...

DENNIS - 3-3-2013 at 06:21 PM

Quote:
Dennis, you were all for the old couple that started out in the middle of summer with the guy being 60 pounds overweight with blisters on his feet,

No. I wasn't. I thought their plan was ludicrous.

EnsenadaDr - 3-3-2013 at 06:47 PM

At least we agree on something!!
Quote:
Quote:
Dennis, you were all for the old couple that started out in the middle of summer with the guy being 60 pounds overweight with blisters on his feet,

No. I wasn't. I thought their plan was ludicrous.

TampicoTrauma - 3-3-2013 at 06:53 PM

I got one last point...

Anyone looked at the pack of food that they were going to carry into the "Last Frontier"?

There's a jar of peanut butter, jelly and a quart bag of granola and four bananas...

How long do two guys hiking 10 miles a day go on that? Two three days maybe?

If they are not being resupplied every other day (food & water) something really doesn't ring true...

EnsenadaDr - 3-3-2013 at 06:54 PM

If National Geographic wanted professionals like you to show the world how to really travel Baja, they would have had to pay the big bucks or at least minimum wage. These guys are getting $6 a day to eat...
Quote:

.....fromabove......
'''......you just don't -get- it!!.... 'actually methinks they were -expecting- and preparing for more challenges than they've gotten so far,,investing in that de-salinator is an indicator of that,,and who knows if they were aware of the generosityof nomads and isolated natives??''

.........there's a difference between being poly-anna positive about a -nothing- adventure,,,,and being -REAL-!!!:wow:

...........will they be hiking across the peninsula following the highway??????:o:o:o

David K - 3-3-2013 at 07:00 PM

People let them have their fun and be Nomads... We all should be so lucky!

TampicoTrauma - 3-3-2013 at 07:09 PM

Veritas...

I need truth...

I hate BS...

And if that's what this forum is all about then I've got other places to be...

And it's $8 a day...

I make a hell of a lot more than that being an engineer... Doctor!

micah202 - 3-3-2013 at 07:14 PM

..........boy,,yer sure seem to have a tough time with people who see things differently than you!!
...you asked for 'credentials',,I gave them to you,,,
,,,,,now you call me a 'pro'????/....wtf,,,I hope your 'patients' always agree with you,,,for their sake!!!:barf::barf::barf:

Quote:
If National Geographic wanted professionals like you to show the world how to really travel Baja, they would have had to pay the big bucks or at least minimum wage. These guys are getting $6 a day to eat...
Quote:

.....fromabove......

tripledigitken - 3-3-2013 at 07:17 PM

Quote:

Sounds like you and Dennis are getting along rather well. Whodathunk?;D

Ken

DENNIS - 3-3-2013 at 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Sounds like you and Dennis are getting along rather well. Whodathunk?;D

Ken

Well...aside from that, what is going on today? Between this thread and another, people are tearing out each other's throats.
Is it the water?

BajaGeoff - 3-3-2013 at 08:05 PM

Hahaha...alright folks....no need to get at each others throats. This is all about fun and adventure in Baja!

Having helped the guys get geared up with their packs last week before we left Punta San Carlos, I can tell you that they had a lot of food and water with them...probably enough food to last them for at 10 least days.

That said, on Wednesday morning their packs were 60+ pounds each...the heaviest they have been on the trip so far. Throw in lots of hills, steep ravines, lava rocks, rough trails and 10 miles will easily will feel like 20. Our five mile journey (as the crow flies) last week was one of the hardest things I have ever done, and my pack was half the weight of theirs. I have run a handful of half marathons and they pale in comparison to how physically demanding this stretch of is.

There have been plenty of skeptics....and they address that in the interview that I will be posting shortly from our trip last week. They actually thrive on the fact that people don't think they can accomplish this journey, so keep it coming! Bottom line is, they are prepared and having a great time.

Tampico...Bryan is in fact a wilderness first responder and they are carrying first aid supplies with them.

[Edited on 3-4-2013 by BajaGeoff]

DianaT - 3-3-2013 at 08:21 PM

Geez, which walker of Baja has done it with no help from other people, and turned down all offers of shelter and or food? Some looked for hand-outs from people who could not afford to give it, but did so anyway.

I know that they did not seek out having breakfast at my sister's home. My son saw where they were on their facebook page and suggested they stop and meet her. She loved meeting them and they certainly did not ask to be fed --- it was simply an episode of hospitality.

I look very forward to their film and stories about their adventure. I, for one, appreciate that they have been very upfront about what they are doing personally and commercially.

BajaGeoff - 3-4-2013 at 10:08 AM

Here is yesterday's walk....they did about five miles...and looks like the day ended with a bit a of a climb.

[Edited on 3-4-2013 by BajaGeoff]

David K - 3-4-2013 at 10:20 AM

To compare with Mike Younghusband and Don-Kay's route:

micah202 - 3-4-2013 at 12:02 PM

''Here is yesterday's walk....they did about five miles...and looks like the day ended with a bit a of a climb. ''

''To compare with Mike Younghusband and Don-Kay's route:''

..........looks like both stopped and gazed the same view at peurto canoas,,,but who's to say what happened between the 'pings' for the boys. .......I'm betting -something-,,,with only 5 miles covered!!
....or maybe just a bit of surfing,,a stubbed tow,,and 2-3 fishcamp visits?!?:biggrin:

mtgoat666 - 3-4-2013 at 12:25 PM

everybody is an arm chair adventurer. kudos to the boys for posting pics and speaking in hashtags so all us armchair adventurers can opine while we sip our c-cktails and clean our navels!

micah202 - 3-4-2013 at 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
everybody is an arm chair adventurer. kudos to the boys for posting pics and speaking in hashtags so all us armchair adventurers can opine while we sip our c-cktails and clean our navels!

......yup!!

BajaGeoff - 3-4-2013 at 03:12 PM

Here is the video from our walk last week with the dudes. Enjoy!

David K - 3-4-2013 at 03:20 PM

Great video... ans specially the comments recorded in the morning, from minute 6 to the end.

Thanks Geoff.

Ateo - 3-4-2013 at 03:35 PM

Yeah Geoff! Gracias for the video. I for one will gladly embrace the pioneering and adventurous spirit of this video over the petty bickering that has been more than sporadic in this thread!!! Viva What is West!!!

TampicoTrauma - 3-4-2013 at 07:37 PM

<i>Tampico...Bryan is in fact a wilderness first responder and they are carrying first aid supplies with them.</i>

A wilderness responder??? Whatever the ef that is!

He was eating dead crab parts off the beach... I don't know if you have ever gotten a flagellate intestinal infection before... But it's no fun...

I asked them both directly if they had any EMT or survival training and they both answered in the negatory...

Bryan responded that he could build a fire outta dried cow poop...

BIG PROBLEM!!! THERE ARE NO COWS DOWN THERE!!!

mtgoat666 - 3-4-2013 at 08:16 PM

Quote:
<i>Tampico...Bryan is in fact a wilderness first responder and they are carrying first aid supplies with them.</i>

A wilderness responder??? Whatever the ef that is!

He was eating dead crab parts off the beach... I don't know if you have ever gotten a flagellate intestinal infection before... But it's no fun...

I asked them both directly if they had any EMT or survival training and they both answered in the negatory...

Bryan responded that he could build a fire outta dried cow poop...

BIG PROBLEM!!! THERE ARE NO COWS DOWN THERE!!!

Tapioca:
They will do fine even if they only got average common sense and no emt training. It's not rocket science.

P.s. what cred do you have?

P.p.s. was he really eating dead crab off the beach?

[Edited on 3-5-2013 by mtgoat666]

TampicoTrauma - 3-4-2013 at 08:49 PM

Creds?

Know what? You're welcome to come on to Rancho Tampico and we can talk about "Creds"...

Really bothers me when people purport to be something that they are not... And are doing something that they are not...

These two "posers" come on saying that they are going to hike Baja... Without help or aid... And it's just a pant load...

They take advantage of the resources provided at someone else's expense and there's not word one about hospitality, food or accommodation... Not to mention beer and vodka!!! LOL...

Not a nod of the head or tip of the hat...

Sooooo... Go stick that in your cred box and stuff it!

Wish I'd never laid eyes on them now...

micah202 - 3-4-2013 at 09:02 PM

...ouch!

...as far as I'm concerned,,their adventure is reasonably entertaining,,,
,,,,I just hope they come round to acknowledge the p.o.v. that they display in that video........''we've got 7l of water,,hope to get more at the fishcamp''......

...I'd love to go down one of the access roads and post a big 7-11 sign!!:biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 3-5-2013 by micah202]

TampicoTrauma - 3-4-2013 at 09:16 PM

7-11 Sign...

Or free tacos and beer!!!

Buuuahahaha!!!

EnsenadaDr - 3-4-2013 at 09:30 PM

Why should they even post here with you nasty guys ripping them apart if they say someone offered them a bed or dinner? I wonder if your kids ever say Dad I'd like to try something..you probably tell them to go stuff it they are amateurs and could never make it...my son tries all different things...some I think are good and some not so good...but I think it's important for parents to instill in their kids a sense of passion...this world is so full of apathy and it's because of people that are hypercritical. Buuuahahaha to both of you **** ******!!

[Edited on 3-5-2013 by BajaNomad]

TampicoTrauma - 3-4-2013 at 09:32 PM

Too bad they were so badly hungover the next morning that we had to drive them to Coyote Cal's to get a massage...

TampicoTrauma - 3-4-2013 at 09:38 PM

So what part of them being at Rancho Tampico are you calling into question Doctor?

[Edited on 3-5-2013 by TampicoTrauma]

EnsenadaDr - 3-4-2013 at 09:40 PM

So did yu pay for the massage?

TampicoTrauma - 3-4-2013 at 09:43 PM

Of course!

How much of a massage do you think you're going to get for $8...

Especially, if you want a happy ending!

TampicoTrauma - 3-4-2013 at 09:47 PM

So Doctor... Are you suggesting that I should change my newly found identity from TampicoTrauma to TampicoTraumaTroll???

Gotta admit... It is kinda catchy!

David K - 3-4-2013 at 09:51 PM

When you join a community like Baja Nomad it really would be nice to not insult those already here or sour the thread so the rest can't enjoy it. Let's let them have fun and follow this. The alternative is they stop sharing and we read nothing more here about them. Opinions are one thing but personal insults are another... right?

TampicoTrauma - 3-4-2013 at 10:08 PM

Veritas Amigos!

TampicoTrauma - 3-4-2013 at 10:15 PM

Doctor.. You and your friend are welcome at the Rancho... I'll even buy you a beer or five...

I would ask you to be civil and bring a freaking sense of humor for God's sake!!!

If you believe in God...

Lord knows I do...

If not.. The Genuine ChupaCabra Hunting Dogs will have their way with you!

LOL...

TampicoTrauma - 3-4-2013 at 10:17 PM

David K... You too...

Reservations are recommended...

TampicoTrauma - 3-4-2013 at 10:26 PM

Ask for Dez... Juan Valdez....

TampicoTrauma - 3-4-2013 at 10:28 PM

Somos amigos?!

TampicoTrauma - 3-4-2013 at 11:17 PM

Jimmy Buffet wrote this song especially for me!!!

http://youtu.be/Aq8OIlteqnQ

Love you Doctor!

TampicoTrauma - 3-4-2013 at 11:24 PM

Whooo Hooo!!!

I am now a Junior Nomad!!!

Pretty soon they may actually let me into Baja!!!

mtgoat666 - 3-4-2013 at 11:24 PM

Quote:
Creds?

Know what? You're welcome to come on to Rancho Tampico and we can talk about "Creds"...

Really bothers me when people purport to be something that they are not... And are doing something that they are not...

These two "posers" come on saying that they are going to hike Baja... Without help or aid... And it's just a pant load...

They take advantage of the resources provided at someone else's expense and there's not word one about hospitality, food or accommodation... Not to mention beer and vodka!!! LOL...

Not a nod of the head or tip of the hat...

Sooooo... Go stick that in your cred box and stuff it!

Wish I'd never laid eyes on them now...

Tapioca: so you got no cred. Thought so. They probably wish they never smelled you chitty cooking.

TampicoTrauma - 3-4-2013 at 11:34 PM

See... Now who's calling names?

I got pictures Jack!

Wanna see um?

TampicoTrauma - 3-4-2013 at 11:36 PM

Problem with you folks is jou got no sense of humor...

Que un chiste!

No?

TampicoTrauma - 3-4-2013 at 11:39 PM

Actually, they had flap jacks (no relation) the morning they left Tampico before we drove them to Coyote Cal's for the massage...

Maybes jou could use one too! No?

TampicoTrauma - 3-4-2013 at 11:48 PM

I really really really don't care what you think I have in creds...

Cause Baja is my home...

So there!!!

LOL...

ligui - 3-5-2013 at 07:06 AM

Boy you're alot of fun....:no:

DENNIS - 3-5-2013 at 08:00 AM

When one gets old, and feeble...like me...it's good therapy to have someone or something to ignore. It gives the feeling that I'm still in charge of my life.
Today....life is good. :yes:

BajaGeoff - 3-5-2013 at 10:20 AM

Today is a good day indeed Dennis! Yesterday was a good one too for the dudes...they made some good progress and are now about 20-ish miles south of Punta Canoas.

Close Up 3-5-13

David K - 3-5-2013 at 10:43 AM

The guys are across from the rock: Islote Piedra de San José (near the fish camp by Faro San José, San José de la Piedra).

[Edited on 3-5-2013 by David K]

TMW - 3-5-2013 at 12:24 PM

There are some really good fishing spots along there. I hope they take advantage of them. Best in early morning and evening before dark.

...funny you should mention that.............

micah202 - 3-5-2013 at 01:12 PM

.....after our recent short adventure in baja,,I dropped my son at LAX,,he's now backpacking through central america.
I'm proud of his sense of adventure.

.......doctor ,your projections are ABSURD!!

.......back to my point,,,,this 'adventure' is fine as it is,,,,but rediculous in it's pretense,,,,,I'm hoping these guys 'own' what it's become,,,and acknowledge the generosities of nomads and native mexicans have changed the nature of the trip!

Quote:
Why should they even post here with you nasty guys ripping them apart if they say someone offered them a bed or dinner? I wonder if your kids ever say Dad I'd like to try something..you probably tell them to go stuff it they are amateurs and could never make it...my son tries all different things...some I think are good and some not so good...but I think it's important for parents to instill in their kids a sense of passion...this world is so full of apathy and it's because of people that are hypercritical. Buuuahahaha to both of you **** ******!!

[Edited on 3-5-2013 by BajaNomad]

David K - 3-5-2013 at 01:21 PM

I think that will be the case... Mike Younghusband posted about all the wonderful things that happened to him by Baja Nomads.

Graham Mackintosh even has a chapter on Nomads in his last book...

Let these guys finish their adventure or at least get online to speak about it...

micah202 - 3-5-2013 at 01:56 PM

..........here's something that really 'confuses' me......2 VERY different accounts of the trip's first steps!!!!!........

.......from Baja Geoff.......... ''After a ceremonial walk across the border, we drove out to Playas de Tijuana to the border fence to have lunch and get the walk under way.''

....and from their facebook account.......''
We asked some policemen how we'd get to Tijuana beach. We knew full well there wasn't a walking path, that there only existed a road for cars, and that if you wanted to do it you'd have to walk along the border fence. The policemen told us it was impossible, you have to take a bus. We tried anyway. So we walked through a maze of rotundas and bad city traffic as our friends followed us with cameras snapping. At one point we passed a house with a couple ghetto tattooed guys and they yelled after us, "Surf's up bro"!

..........are they pretending that the car ride didn't happen?.....they're certainly not acknowledging how a car-ride from a nomad got them to the official start of their walk as BG said.............confusing at best!!!:?::?::?:

DENNIS - 3-5-2013 at 02:17 PM

Quote:
confusing at best!!!:?::?::?:

I agree...it is, but not exactly a deal-breaker. They shouldn't be held to the standards of a court of law for everything they say as long as the storyline stays intact.
I'm sure their finished report will have gone through many rewrites and the cuttingroom floor will be littered with footage.
Let's see how it plays out without holding a gun to their heads.

paranewbi - 3-5-2013 at 04:09 PM

"..........here's something that really 'confuses' me......2 VERY different accounts of the trip's first steps!!!!!........" micah202

Not confusing at all...is it not possible that a photo shoot was done at some point (maybe initially) in that the "friends following" were the people who took some shots THEN drove them onward to the playa?

This is what is known as an integrated method of two differant sources being of the same event, but each fills in a portion that the other did not find necessary to include or stayed at the forefront of their own recolection. Not necessary contradicting or invalidating the other. This is evident in the four Gospels of the New Testament Bible.

Could be one explanation.

micah202 - 3-5-2013 at 04:16 PM

......uhh,,mayyyyyybe,,,,,,,but it's clearly striking how Geoff talks of driving before they get the walk underway,,,,,and the lads make zero mention of such,,,to the extent that they describe a few details of what would be a VERY complicated walk!
........the only wiggle room in the picture is that Geoff doesn't -explicitly- say that the lads were in the car,,,but it does seem to be a pretty clear inferrance..............hopefully BG can shed some light onthis?

comitan - 3-5-2013 at 05:22 PM

micah202

Are you going to take away their Gold star, or just penalize them 7 miles, or would would you invalidate the whole walk.

chuckie - 3-5-2013 at 05:27 PM

Hey ! Now were picking chit with the chickens...I admire them for their trip, I hope they have fun. I know I would..I just dont think its a NG class deal...

micah202 - 3-5-2013 at 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Hey ! Now were picking chit with the chickens...I admire them for their trip, I hope they have fun. I know I would..I just dont think its a NG class deal...

...totally agree on both points......it's great they're not making dips in a couch as their only accomplishment,,,,,,,,but nationalG---get real!!

....in the current section they're in I very much hope they stay safe,,,,and that there indeed are enough fishcamps to keep the lads suitable provisioned,,,as is their stated hope!

[Edited on 3-6-2013 by micah202]

MMc - 3-5-2013 at 07:17 PM

This is kind of venture we need here. Following somebody else bread crumbs (gps point or milage directions) takes lot of the misery out of Baja. I kinda wish they didn't use spot. They have to to market the project however.

These guys are living a Adventure... Stories of Graham rolling up in a camp a demanding beer and provisions are some of the funniest, I've heard. Most long walks are just long walks. Meeting great people that help you in ways you never would believe, is what you remember. There is a great deal of time and luck involved in this venture. All of us sitting in the nickel seats, second guessing, are just that. I'm sure somebody at Nat.Geo. can edit a 1000 mile walk /paddle board trip into something interesting for a hour and half.

This trip is something they will always have. Us, we're sitting in the bleachers. Whatever is brought up on the board will not mean much,we are not important to out come of it.

whatiswest - 3-5-2013 at 10:19 PM

Wowee! This forum is like a daytime soap opera-una culebra! Haha
Thank you Geoff for posting the vids, haven't watched them yet but glad those moments are captured as heat and dehydration practically erased my memory. It's been a tough stretch of coast for dayum sure. Honestly the best part of this trip is meeting the local Baja californias. They are generous even though they think we're crazy and sometimes think we're marijuaneros or burros de drogas. Just to be transparent, this adventure isn't a feat of survival as much as it is a chance to Know Baja, thus documenting day-to-day and spending time with locals or expats. We haven't had a chance to thank anyone yet, nor is a forum the place to really do so but special thank u to Juan Valdez of the Tampico variety y rob, loved the vodka tacos! Thank u sat mike and Valerie; Charlie and East Coast boys; Nipper!; rose and Ed; David richardson; Omar; eraclio... Many many more great people we've met along the way!!
Update: We're staying a second night in el faro san jose o el puerto(old name). Today we went to check the jaiba traps, or crab, with Marco and mael. Apparently we were bad luck but maricela still made us a sopa and omelets for lunch, afterwards a long nap. We're somewhat stalling so we can meet up with Wildcoast at punta cuchillo in the next couple days. Stay tuned!

David K - 3-5-2013 at 10:26 PM

How did you connect to the Internet? The fish camp has electricity and satellite Internet? Wow!

[Edited on 3-6-2013 by David K]

micah202 - 3-5-2013 at 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
How did you connect to the Internet? The fish camp has electricity and satellite Internet? Wow!

....those towers are everywhere now,,,getting hard to have a remote adventure on Baja........perhaps inland away from highways and fishcamps(?)

....good t'hear the lads are safe,,, well fed,,and having fun,,,,that's what matters!

...time to use that surfboard yer've been lugging around

David K - 3-5-2013 at 11:53 PM

I went to my Facebook page to post some news about a new distributor for our mission book, and there was a post from the guys (What Is West) there that said they got satellite Internet connection (at the San José fish camp).

DianaT - 3-6-2013 at 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by whatiswest
Thank you Geoff for posting the vids, haven't watched them yet but glad those moments are captured as heat and dehydration practically erased my memory. It's been a tough stretch of coast for dayum sure. Honestly the best part of this trip is meeting the local Baja californias. They are generous even though they think we're crazy and sometimes think we're marijuaneros or burros de drogas. Just to be transparent, this adventure isn't a feat of survival as much as it is a chance to Know Baja, thus documenting day-to-day and spending time with locals or expats. We haven't had a chance to thank anyone yet, nor is a forum the place to really do so but special thank u to Juan Valdez of the Tampico variety y rob, loved the vodka tacos! Thank u sat mike and Valerie; Charlie and East Coast boys; Nipper!; rose and Ed; David richardson; Omar; eraclio... Many many more great people we've met along the way!!
Update: We're staying a second night in el faro san jose o el puerto(old name). Today we went to check the jaiba traps, or crab, with Marco and mael. Apparently we were bad luck but maricela still made us a sopa and omelets for lunch, afterwards a long nap. We're somewhat stalling so we can meet up with Wildcoast at punta cuchillo in the next couple days. Stay tuned!

This is ONE of the reasons I really admire what you two are doing --- your honesty in goals, intentions both personal and commercially --- that is very rare indeed.

[Edited on 3-6-2013 by DianaT]

watizname - 3-6-2013 at 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by whatiswest

As the lad said, this isn't a feat of survival, although they'll be in for some at least uncomfortable times. They're in it for the adventure and fun. Kudo's to them for even attempting this, and to all those along the way for providing food and shelter to them out of the goodness of their hearts. Booooo to the naysayers. ----- Keep on keepin on, boys. :cool:

mcfez - 3-6-2013 at 11:15 AM

Well......I admit that in the very beginning....this venture sounded very fishy as hell. Also.....I would had bet that these two lads would had gone home to Mummy by now....for the Baja is a tough place to hike.

I am impressed! Yes....you two are on a amazing journey and I wish you all the luck in the world!

You boys were asking for tips on surf fishing earlier ...somewhere in the first few pages of this topic. How is that going? Any luck with catching the meals?

micah202 - 3-6-2013 at 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
You boys were asking for tips on surf fishing earlier ...somewhere in the first few pages of this topic. How is that going? Any luck with catching the meals?

........why fish ,use the desalinator,or cook for that matter when there's fishcamps willing to cover?!
.............''as heat and dehydration practically erased my memory''...........(that we are carrying a desalinator!!!!)

.......you're welcome!!,,,,,happy to keep-it-real!!!:biggrin:

watizname - 3-6-2013 at 01:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez

........why fish ,use the desalinator,or cook for that matter when there's fishcamps willing to cover?!
.............''as heat and dehydration practically erased my memory''...........(that we are carrying a desalinator!!!!)

.......you're welcome!!,,,,,happy to keep-it-real!!!:biggrin:

Micah, Micah, Micah,
You need to get out of the cold and rain.---- Get on down to Baja, have a beer and relax in the warmth of the sun. Tell me you wouldn't accept a home cooked meal and a beer if you were in the same situation, and they were offered. I doubt that you would refuse it, and go sleep on the rocks. Comon man---lighten up, they're just a couple of kids out for some fun.

:coolup:

DENNIS - 3-6-2013 at 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by watizname

Micah, Micah, Micah,
You need to get out of the cold and rain.---- Get on down to Baja, have a beer and relax in the warmth of the sun. Tell me you wouldn't accept a home cooked meal and a beer if you were in the same situation, and they were offered. I doubt that you would refuse it, and go sleep on the rocks. Comon man---lighten up, they're just a couple of kids out for some fun.

The last thing...well, one of them anyway....I would want to do after a hard day's hike carrying a load, would be to catch , clean and cook a fish.
Popping the top off a Pacifico would be my limit of exertion.

chuckie - 3-6-2013 at 03:49 PM

And I'd find someone to open the 2nd one...

vandenberg - 3-6-2013 at 04:04 PM

I drink to that.:biggrin::biggrin:

DENNIS - 3-6-2013 at 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
I drink to that.:biggrin::biggrin:

You'll drink to anything, Ed. SALUD :lol:

desertChild - 3-7-2013 at 07:08 PM

Quote:
When you join a community like Baja Nomad it really would be nice to not insult those already here or sour the thread so the rest can't enjoy it. Let's let them have fun and follow this. The alternative is they stop sharing and we read nothing more here about them. Opinions are one thing but personal insults are another... right?

I recently joined this community and I'm moving on...... not something I really want to participate in given what I've seen in this thread.

DENNIS - 3-7-2013 at 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertChild

I recently joined this community and I'm moving on...... not something I really want to participate in given what I've seen in this thread.

What is it you had in mind? I'm just curious.

desertChild - 3-7-2013 at 07:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:

No expectation other than information gathering and entertainment. This forum will still suffice as that. No way I would get personal and post personal experiences here.

micah202 - 3-7-2013 at 07:48 PM

.....no worries to post an account of your trip,,,,,,unless you're billing it as a 'national geographic' adventure with sponsors,,,,,then you're fair game and better keep to the script!

..........I noticed the lads have added acknowledgement about the drive in their first day,,their reliance on others(to some degree),and how the nature of the trip's changed,,,,,,,good on them,,it's definitely 'real' in my books!

[Edited on 3-8-2013 by micah202]

paranewbi - 3-8-2013 at 05:51 AM

I'm with you desertchild, these guys are all insane (and some of the girls to!) so I'm outta here.
er, wait, one more stroll thru off-topic then I'm outta here, yep.
Oh man, I still haven't got a copy of DK's latest book...
Need to respond to that idiot on the last thread I looked at before this one THEN I'm outta here.
Crap, spilled my beer, I'll be right back....

EnsenadaDr - 3-8-2013 at 07:21 AM

If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen, my dad used to say...or in this case, Baja. It's still frontierland here, and you have to be able to put up with just about anything living or traveling in Baja, including being under a microscope and dealing with many different personalities and opinions. Good training for anyone wanting to be a success in this world. As Nietzsche said, "that which doesn't kill you, will make you stronger".....
Quote:
Originally posted by paranewbi
I'm with you desertchild, these guys are all insane (and some of the girls to!) so I'm outta here.
Need to respond to that idiot on the last thread I looked at before this one THEN I'm outta here.
Crap, spilled my beer, I'll be right back....

David K - 3-8-2013 at 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by paranewbi

I am only a 'co-author' to help Max and Erline get the facts about the missions correct (as best as we know from research up to this century). I wrote some of the mission details, numbered each mission based on its founding date, and made the location maps. Thanks for your interest!

mtgoat666 - 3-8-2013 at 05:04 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No expectation other than information gathering and entertainment. This forum will still suffice as that. No way I would get personal and post personal experiences here.

desertChild:
come on back when you are stronger, perhaps in a few years when you are desertAdult :lol::lol::lol:

woody with a view - 3-8-2013 at 05:05 PM

Quote:

no electricity other than solar. internet i dunno....

David K - 3-8-2013 at 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
Quote:

no electricity other than solar. internet i dunno....

I posted this just below what you quoted:

I went to my Facebook page to post some news about a new distributor for our mission book, and there was a post from the guys (What Is West) there that said they got satellite Internet connection (at the San José fish camp).

TMW - 3-9-2013 at 11:29 AM

So where they at now?
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  9