BajaNomad

Tropical Storm John

Pages:  1  ..  3    5  

Bob and Susan - 9-3-2006 at 02:20 PM

2 PM Sunday

Bob and Susan - 9-3-2006 at 02:21 PM

Look OUT you San Felipe guys....

Bajaboy - 9-3-2006 at 02:29 PM

I'm worried about Pancho at Playa San Rafael and the folks in BOLA.

Zac

airmech - 9-3-2006 at 02:37 PM

Any reports on Los Frailes?
Jamie

jettygirl - 9-3-2006 at 02:42 PM

my thoughts are will all in baja and still suffering through this guy.

[Edited on 9-4-2006 by jettygirl]

Bajabus - 9-3-2006 at 02:42 PM

no verifiable reports from Los Frailes have reached me so far.

msawin - 9-3-2006 at 03:31 PM

I just paid for my new "composit. fire resistant material" roofing on my place in Tripui....I just am a wondering if it is still there... No phone lines going in.. Just waiting for some posts out of Loreto to see how bad it was...

Martin-o

Skeet/Loreto - 9-3-2006 at 03:40 PM

jettygirl:
This is Not the place to use that Vulgar, Offensive Lanuage-Misspelled or Not.
Please be a Good future Nomad and remove your Post and come back and controll your Language

Anon The Preacher

Bajabus - 9-3-2006 at 03:47 PM

just got this rundown from Cole:

This is what we know as of this point form the outside world:

Hurricane was reported to be about 130 mph gusting possibly above that to 150mph.
CP , Las Barracas, La Ribera, and Los Barriles are severely damaged by the huge winds and the excessive rains. Somebody said 17 in. True? I would not think so. This is a lot!
Most of the damage was to the windows and the following water damage. Not too much of the palapas were damaged at all. Maybe just a little fixing up will do.
Most of the owners that had solar panels attached to the roofs were ripped off and most of them broken.
Most of the trees in the village and the palms were destroyed and or fallen.
The roads throughout CP village are badly eroded. The road to Phase 2 has 3? of erosion next to the cattle guard making it impossible to pass with vehicle. Not sure here.
Nancy?s seriously damaged.
Water tank of the Castro?s flew? not the structure.
Coral Reef has broken windows and a bit of water damage. Ventilation hood fell.
Park and Sheila?s lots of damage but still have a roof. Thank god.
Still no access in or out of CP. Correct me.
Lots of standing water to get through Las Barracas.
Not very much food available for those that are stuck in CP. Correct me here too.
No access in or out of la Ribera? Correct me.
No gasoline or very little. I?m assuming here too. Anybody?
Same with the Propane. Running out for the water well and for additional services for the restaurant genset. This is very important! We may have to start water rationing for those that are there. All drip systems must be turned off at this point to conserve water. I need help here!
No dengue yet! And hope that it does not pose a problem for nayone! I imagine that they will need some mosquito repellent if anybody can go to the 99 cent store before arriving there to help save the locals.
The village pathways must be very eroded. Given the rain.
This sat dishes that made it through must have been the smaller ones that have less area. The only ones that made it so far that I know are cremin, barry & kani, and Rob Lerner. Maybe Peter Enticknap too.

Thanks for your help.

Cole

ayeman - 9-3-2006 at 05:19 PM

there are new news and pics of los barriles at "bajapony express website"

Paulina - 9-3-2006 at 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
I'm worried about Pancho at Playa San Rafael and the folks in BOLA.

Zac

Hello Zac, I just got this email today from a friend who lives in Bahia. I share your same concern. Here is what he had to say about the storm so far.

"Hola Paulina
About 2 o/clock this morning we got some wind and rain but Friday nite we got some horrendous winds, they blew Guillermos new docks away. I knew the first good winds we got the marina would be history. They were scattered
all along the beach down to Villa Vitas ramp.... I'll take a
run down to your place and check it out later and let you know how it is."

BajaNews - 9-3-2006 at 06:00 PM

TROPICAL DEPRESSION JOHN INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER 26A...COR
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL EP112006
500 PM PDT SUN SEP 03 2006

...CORRECTED HEADER....

...JOHN WEAKENS TO A TROPICAL DEPRESSION....

AT 5 PM CDT...0000 UTC... THE GOVERNMENT OF MEXICO HAS DISCONTINUED
ALL TROPICAL STORM WARNINGS.

MOISTURE FROM JOHN WILL BE SPREADING INTO THE SOUTHWESTERN UNITED
STATES OVER THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS. FOR STORM INFORMATION SPECIFIC
TO YOUR AREA...INCLUDING POSSIBLE INLAND WATCHES AND WARNINGS...
PLEASE MONITOR PRODUCTS ISSUED BY YOUR LOCAL WEATHER OFFICE.

AT 500 PM PDT...0000Z...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM JOHN WAS
LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 27.8 NORTH...LONGITUDE 112.9 WEST OR ABOUT 50
MILES... 80 KM...NORTHWEST OF SANTA ROSALIA MEXICO.

JOHN IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTHWEST NEAR 7 MPH...11 KM/HR. ON THIS
TRACK...THE CENTER IS EXPECTED TO REMAIN NEAR OR OVER BAJA
CALIFORNIA TONIGHT AND EARLY MONDAY.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS HAVE DECREASED TO NEAR 35 MPH...55
KM/HR...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. FURTHER WEAKENING IS LIKELY...AND JOHN
COULD DISSIPATE WITHIN THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

THE ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 1002 MB...29.59 INCHES.

RAINFALL TOTALS OF 3 TO 5 INCHES...WITH ISOLATED MAXIMUM STORM
TOTALS UP TO 18 INCHES...ARE POSSIBLE OVER THE CENTRAL BAJA
PENINSULA. NORTHWESTERN MEXICO COULD RECEIVE 3 TO 6 INCHES OF RAIN
WITH ISOLATED MAXIMUM TOTALS OF 10 INCHES. THESE RAINS COULD CAUSE
LIFE-THREATENING FLASH FLOODS AND MUD SLIDES OVER MOUNTAINOUS
TERRAIN. MOISTURE FROM JOHN COULD HELP PRODUCE 1 TO 3 INCHES OF
RAIN OVER THE SOUTHWESTERN UNITED STATES AND WESTERN TEXAS THROUGH
MONDAY.

REPEATING THE 500 PM PDT POSITION...27.8 N...112.9 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...NORTHWEST NEAR 7 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...35 MPH.
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1002 MB.

THE NEXT ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL
HURRICANE CENTER AT 800 PM PDT.

I second Skeets comments, Jettygirl-------

Barry A. - 9-3-2006 at 06:00 PM

---------totally crude, and with no info to boot. I do hope that you have something more exceptable to offer, and I am sure that you must.

Cardonal - 9-3-2006 at 06:05 PM

Russ in Punta Chivato - thanks for your posts. Please keep them coming, if you're able. I'm interested in the welfare of all you PC full-timers - the condition of the road (I can guess!), wind damage to solar panels, windows, etc., storm surge, arroyo flooding. Anybody (present or absent) in need of anything?

I also am concerned for friends in Mulege and Santa Rosalia. Whatever news comes your way, please pass it on. Thanks for the update!

Ruth from Costa Cardonal (and this is my first post!)

Loreto North Beach

LaTijereta - 9-3-2006 at 06:11 PM

This image was sent to me on Saturday am..before the storm moved in..
The waters have surged up over the beach North of the La Pinta

Calle Davis

LaTijereta - 9-3-2006 at 06:14 PM

This image is also from Saturday am..Looking down south along Calle Davis:o
Water was already up over the curbs..
Phones have been down all day..no further word out of Loreto:?:

TechsMex - 9-3-2006 at 06:14 PM

I've got my 1st report from Mulege from someone who lives on the river, they fired up the gen and sent it via DirecWay as there is no power or phones in Mulege.
I'm going to paraphrase because the report was pretty scary, but apparently there is a lot of damage, especially along the river. Luckily, they report no loss of life. The report says that the water came to 10 ft. from the bottom of the bridge. They tried to get up along the river in their quad and could only make it to The Jungle.
I'll read it through and see if I can post more, just wanted to get this out.
Peter

Peter

toneart - 9-3-2006 at 06:26 PM

TechsMex,

Could you ask your friend to make posts to this forum? FlyfishingPam just got her directway antenna back up in Loreto and is starting to post. I realize they have their hands full but give it a try.

Bajabus - 9-3-2006 at 06:27 PM

Lordy, travel up and down the peninsula is going to be a royal mess for weeks. What usually happens is that arroyos will blow out roads, enterprising drivers will create bottom scraping detours around the blowouts, apprehensive motor home and truck drivers will start to back up behind the blow out and numerous cluster "you know whats" will dot the highway all the way down. Add to the equation that a bridge between la Paz and the ferry terminal is out so no supplies from there either.

Any reports from the ferry terminal in sta rosalia?

During Juliette they did detour ferry service to Cabo for a short bit.

TechsMex - 9-3-2006 at 06:30 PM

To continue,
the report says that Jorges park and the Orchard are "gone",
I'm hoping that's an exageration for my benefit <G>, but apparently a lot of peoples belongings have been washed out. The houses down closer to the Serenidad appear to be OK but, "most" of Marlin's new walls came down, but the big gate is still standing. Tom, Patti and Tecate got carried away by the water, but they're OK.
Like I said, I'm just reporting what I was sent, I really hope it's not as bad as it sounds

Peter

TechsMex - 9-3-2006 at 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
TechsMex,

Could you ask your friend to make posts to this forum? FlyfishingPam just got her directway antenna back up in Loreto and is starting to post. I realize they have their hands full but give it a try.

I'm waiting to hear back

flyfishinPam - 9-3-2006 at 06:37 PM

Hi there from Loreto. I can give a brief report as to what little I saw throughout town as I've been holed up at my rancho for the better part of two days straigt but my little ones seem to be needing attention right now and will attend to them first and get back to this a bit later.

BajaNews - 9-3-2006 at 07:04 PM

through 5:30pm Sunday:

Bajalero - 9-3-2006 at 07:11 PM

Well it's sounding like a bleak picture sofar from at least Mulege on south. If the water rose to within 10 ft. of the bottom of the Mulege bridge , then there is sure to be exstensive damage throughout town and especially to the homes along the south side of the river. There's quite a few older retiries there and I sure hope someone is there to provide them with assistance.

That's a dangerous place to be when there is a lot of rain whether from a hurricane or thunderstorms in the hills to the west.

There is a good reason the Mulege bridge is as tall as it is.

BCSTech - 9-3-2006 at 07:14 PM

Follow this link for the first few pictures coming out of Los Barriles. Anyone that has pictures and is overwhelmed by the number of recipients or would just like to share them please feel free to forward them to Sheri at filetnrelease@hughes.net.

Website for pictures: http://www.parkmodelexpress.com/baja/Hurricane%20John

(Cross-posted courtesy of Baja Pony Express)

DianaT - 9-3-2006 at 07:54 PM

opps

[Edited on 9-4-2006 by jdtrotter]

Bajabus - 9-3-2006 at 07:58 PM

links not working jd. I can copy and paste it but you may want to fix it. Thanks for posting it.

DianaT - 9-3-2006 at 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajabus
links not working jd. I can copy and paste it but you may want to fix it. Thanks for posting it.

Opps, when I happened on the the site, I thought it was current, but it was about Marty-----

Sorry--- I was looking for more information for my son who knows people in that area, and didn't read close enough.

[Edited on 9-4-2006 by jdtrotter]

Bajabus - 9-3-2006 at 08:05 PM

Ha too funny...I didn't even notice it....

TechsMex - 9-3-2006 at 08:08 PM

Edit: You beat me to it.....yup... Marty

I knew something was wrong when I was looking at Anthony & Gloria's place. They've been in Ensenada for a couple of years :spingrin:

[Edited on 9-4-2006 by TechsMex]

DianaT - 9-3-2006 at 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TechsMex
jdtrotter,

I doesn't say so in your post, but those are old pics from Hur.Marty.

I know---discovered it after I posted---again, I apologize. I think it is pay-back. The other day I discovered a post that someone thought was current, and it wasn't.

I so hope to hear more out of Mulege---current information.

Diane

Russ - 9-3-2006 at 08:23 PM

Bobby Lujan has been helplng us n Pt .Chlvato. He says he can't get to hls home n Mulege. Major damage there. No access to Mulege. A lot of debre from there washng up all along our beaches. Very scarry! Speedy recovery to ALL!! Bad ceyboard sorry

BajaNews - 9-3-2006 at 08:25 PM

TROPICAL DEPRESSION JOHN ADVISORY NUMBER 27
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL EP112006
800 PM PDT SUN SEP 03 2006

...WEAKER JOHN MAINLY A HEAVY RAINFALL EVENT...

MOISTURE FROM JOHN WILL BE SPREADING INTO THE SOUTHWESTERN UNITED
STATES OVER THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS. FOR STORM INFORMATION SPECIFIC
TO YOUR AREA...INCLUDING POSSIBLE INLAND WATCHES AND WARNINGS...
PLEASE MONITOR PRODUCTS ISSUED BY YOUR LOCAL WEATHER OFFICE.

AT 800 PM PDT...0300Z...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL DEPRESSION JOHN WAS
LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 28.2 NORTH...LONGITUDE 113.1 WEST OR ABOUT 80
MILES...125 KM...NORTHWEST OF SANTA ROSALIA MEXICO.

THE DEPRESSION IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTH-NORTHWEST NEAR 7 MPH...11
KM/HR. ON THIS TRACK...THE CENTER IS EXPECTED TO REMAIN NEAR OR
OVER THE EASTERN BAJA CALIFORNIA COAST TONIGHT AND EARLY MONDAY.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 35 MPH...55 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
GUSTS. FURTHER WEAKENING IS LIKELY...AND JOHN COULD DISSIPATE
WITHIN THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 1002 MB...29.59 INCHES.

RAINFALL TOTALS OF 3 TO 5 INCHES...WITH ISOLATED MAXIMUM STORM
TOTALS UP TO 18 INCHES...ARE POSSIBLE OVER THE CENTRAL BAJA
PENINSULA. NORTHWESTERN MEXICO COULD RECEIVE 3 TO 6 INCHES OF RAIN
WITH ISOLATED MAXIMUM TOTALS OF 10 INCHES. THESE RAINS COULD CAUSE
LIFE-THREATENING FLASH FLOODS AND MUD SLIDES OVER MOUNTAINOUS
TERRAIN. MOISTURE FROM JOHN COULD HELP PRODUCE 1 TO 3 INCHES OF
RAIN OVER THE SOUTHWESTERN UNITED STATES AND WESTERN TEXAS THROUGH
MONDAY.

REPEATING THE 800 PM PDT POSITION...28.2 N...113.1 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...NORTH-NORTHWEST NEAR 7 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...35
MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1002 MB.

AN INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE
CENTER AT 1100 PM PDT FOLLOWED BY THE NEXT COMPLETE ADVISORY AT 200
AM PDT.

Bajabus - 9-3-2006 at 08:26 PM

Just finally heard from Paul and Shiela Clark on the east cape road, they are ok. no details. He is going to try stopping by our place in Elias Calles tomorrow for some parts so he can get back online ASAP.....thank God. if he makes it out I should have a good report on road conditions.

BajaNews - 9-3-2006 at 08:29 PM

current 3-day track forecast

BCSTech - 9-3-2006 at 08:52 PM

Here is a link to hurricane photos at La Ventana & El Sargento:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bgeasa/album?.dir=/5245re2&.src=ph

flyfishinPam - 9-3-2006 at 09:05 PM

I didn't venture very much today because with no news or communication I still didn't know if we'd get anymore rain or not. When I went to look at the arroyo at zaragoza at about 4:30 pm the police were turning everyone away and it was just starting to rain in the mountains so I decided to go back home. I will make a few posts of the marina as its the place of my concern seeing we're in the fishing busness:

flyfishinPam - 9-3-2006 at 09:13 PM

I did not photograph rio zaragoza as the water receded and was much lowere than when Bill posted it. IN the morning, I will go to the break in the road in the highway and photograph it too and I will also go to the arroyo south of miramar. I'll check on the airport situation and also on when we can expect water service to be back on. The last couple of hurricanes the water in the town's wells was fine but the thing that limited most folks was that they had no storage. Our pila was filled on friday afternoon. I tipped the guys and warned them about the looming storm but they didn't believe me. For several hours I thought I had over reacted but I monitored the satellites and reports throughout the night until 4am saturday and we all know what happened after that...

Paula - 9-3-2006 at 09:18 PM

Thanks for the pictures and the news, Pam. It is hard being up north and not seeing first hand what's happening, but I think it is easier than being there. We are thinking of all of you there, and hoping you are safe.
Take care...

[Edited on 9-4-2006 by Paula]

Bajabus - 9-3-2006 at 10:11 PM

Pam...thanks so much for the news. please let us know how the road south and to your north is.

TechsMex - 9-3-2006 at 11:05 PM

Here's a report from CasaManzana on Posada Conception,

(Edit -he's got a another thread on Mulege going now as well, ..hope you don't mind me posting this, Jim ;D )

Big John is now still riding up the middle of the Baja peninsula and now some 50 miles north or Santa Rosalia. There are no patches of blue sky here by any means, but light is filtering in enough to get about 25% of our normal amp collection. The last two days gave us winds in the 70?s, so we were just below hurricane status. What made this one a little ugly was that is was so slow to move on. It sat on top of us doing it?s thing for a full seventeen hours. It gave us eleven inches of rain according to my rain gauge, and I didn't get the gauge out in time, so it could even be more like 12 or 13 inches. This is the third day there has been no cars or trucks on the road, so obviously there is a problem somewhere with flooding or bridges or something.
Here on the beach there were just three houses that showed very minor damage and one sailboat ended up on the beach.
I took a tour through the houses on the hill and everything looks fine up there, in case you know someone who might be interested to hear that.

flyfishinPam - 9-4-2006 at 12:46 AM

I can't sleep so I will post some more photos. This time excitement right in front of our house:

My front yard facing southeast @ 5:00 pm on saturday

My back yard facing northwest, pretty soggy out there @ 5:00pm

I guess the police overlooked evacuating this guy that holed up in the car @ 4:00 pm saturday

the family in this house was evacuated at about 5am. the guy that emerged from the car i the photo above was taken away by police after I took the picture. Makeshift house near flood is closeup of image above and typical of housing in colonia miramar, Loreto.

There was so much rain it was difficult to get photos without getting my camera wet.

[Edited on 9-4-2006 by flyfishinPam]

Skeet/Loreto - 9-4-2006 at 02:23 AM

Pam; Were the Police able to get all the People to High Ground?
My Prayers are with you All-!"Shades of Lisa 30 years ago."
Pam let me know when I may be able to get through. May be able to get a Load of clothes/or other supplies across the Ferry.
Let us know out here. Great Photos, Keep Safe
Here in the Texas Panhandle we are already getting the Rain fom the edge of the Storm.
Skeet

It now appears

BajaRob - 9-4-2006 at 08:50 AM

that San Felipe and the South Campos will be spared from the worst of John for which we are grateful. Our neighbors on both sides are at BSM due to extreme high tides later this week and the possibility of high winds from John. The National Hurricane Center has issued it's final advisory for this storm. We are very sorry for those who bore the brunt of the storm and wish them the best in their recovery.

roundtuit - 9-4-2006 at 09:24 AM

Picked this up from Mulege on line

Posted September 04, 2006 07:49 AM
I received this last night, Sunday 9/3/06
Hurricane John came up the Baja Peninsula Saturday night to within 25
miles
west of the beaches and Mulege. By the time it arrived here the winds
were
only about 40 knots. However at the beach we had over 20 inches of
rain
overnight.

I have personally checked El Burro and Santispac and talked to people
at El
Coyote and Pt Arena. There is only minor damage to a few palapas and
boat
shades. Billy O had some damage to his boat shade. Mike Peterson had
some
rock damage to his fire pit and a local trimarine came shore at el
burro. To
the best of my knowledge at this time that was the extent of the
problems on
the beaches.

Mulege: MAJOR FLOOD DAMAGE. At 4am people in homes next to the river
only
had time to put on shoes. The water in the Mulege river rose very
quickly
and soon ENGULFED ALL THE TRAILER PARKS. The water was up to the top
of the
doors of the houses within a short period of time. To the best of my
knowledge there was no loss of life. When I went to town at 10am there
were
still rescue operations going on. Dustin and O.B. John seem to be
involved
in most of them.
I think it would be accurate to say that anyone who had property on or
near
the river has major damage. Looking out where Jorge's Trailer park
was, it
is hard to even find a landmark. The water is still high and flowing
fast.
The real damage will be evident when the water recedes. I talked with
Bart
(Jungle Jim's) and Lupi (my laundry lady) and they said the water in
their
house was up to the eves. Bart said he could not even see Jungle
Jim's. As
we talked I saw a camper floating down the river. Power will be out
for at
least a week. That means no gas, etc.

David K - 9-4-2006 at 09:34 AM

Is there a dam (natural or man made) that prevented the Mulege river water from getting to the sea and thus causing it to swell that much?

[Edited on 9-4-2006 by David K]

roundtuit - 9-4-2006 at 09:43 AM

No dams . Straight shot through town to the sea. Widens out as it gets closer to ocean

David K - 9-4-2006 at 09:48 AM

So, just the volume of water coming out of the mountains was far too great to stay contained withing the normal banks of the river before it reached the gulf?

Here is what's left of John... over by Kino Bay, Sonora...

Gonzaga & San Felipe, you're spared!

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t6/sloop-vis.html

Pescador - 9-4-2006 at 09:50 AM

I finally got through to San Bruno and San Lucas Cove this morning on the phone and everyone reports unbelievable amounts of rain that lasted for a long time. The wind was lower in intensity than places south and while it did some damage, most of the problems amounted from the large amounts of rain. A resident of San Lucas reports that 22 of the electric poles are toppled between Santa Rosalia and San Bruno and they do not expect to have electricity restored for at least two weeks. The road is a mess both north and south since every dip became a roaring watercourse and there are lots of areas where the road is non-existant. Everyone is busy digging out and getting back to normal and I would imagine that the roads will be open as they canstart filling things in when the arroyos stop running.

mulege marv - 9-4-2006 at 10:06 AM

please send help, we have no power, water, food, clothes, or gas, this is very serious, everything is distroyed, people are homeless

David K - 9-4-2006 at 10:11 AM

What can we do Marv? What would help you guys best? (Baja Angel also is here asking)

airmech - 9-4-2006 at 10:20 AM

I heard Hotel Serinadad didn't get hit too hard. How's the runway? How long before it's cleared? What are the politics involved with flying in supplies and/or reopening the airport to fly in supplies?

capt. mike - 9-4-2006 at 10:36 AM

we can maybe use the paved strip at San Bruno, pales verdes?

Don' s strip will be a mess day days until he can get a grader on it from past experiences:light:

Loreto was not too damaged

flyfishinPam - 9-4-2006 at 10:39 AM

Here are a few more pictures:

The highway south of Loreto where the arroyo de zaragoza broke the pavement. Cars are traversing it now but its still too deep for me to feel safe.

This is the tractor trailer truck that got washed off the highway where arroyo zaragoza crosses

The malecon looks like this, no structural damage but lots of debris to clean up

other than that there's a car washed off the road at the arroyo at Miramar. colonia miramar is a mess and I will walk it to take photos even with 4wd it still looks like I'll get stuck so don't want to chance it.

schools canceled throughout BCS. still no phones or internet in Loreto. They say the water will be shut off for at least a week. The airport is open and the smaller planes are flying in and out I don't know about the jets yet but Alaska flies on tuesdays, we;ll see. Other than that, we're drying out down here now.:yes:

DaGreen - 9-4-2006 at 10:40 AM

La Ventana El Sargento Update

Thought I would pass this along. I received this from friends in La Ventana/El Sargento area. Our friends are Joe and Angie Cheek of Baja Joe's Baja Joe's

Angie and I took a long quad runner ride yesterday. We tried to check on as many homes as possible. Unfortunately, between the impassable roads, and the locked gates, we couldn?t get to many. We have posted additional photos at Click for Hurricane John Photos . Please pass this on to others in our community.

The hurricane reached Category 4 winds of 115 knots at its peak, but had subsided to around a Category 3 of +/-100 knots by the time it landed here. Supposedly, it tracked right between the island and here. The homes and property all seemed to hold up well. Most all structures appear intact
The properties on the east side of the highway took it the hardest. The plants and trees on the beach side homes got decimated. If your home is on the east side of the highway and lacks window protection, then there is a good chance that you have some broken windows.

Palapa roofs usually have a little damage, tile roofs as well. Tin roofs often failed. Water and sand made it into almost every home. Sand got forced through the smallest cracks and around the window frames. If you know someone who can air out your home, it would be a good thing.

Unfortunately, Angie and Joe are not available to assist with repairs, as they have extensive damage and cleanup to get their hotel back together.

The real problems are with the infrastructure. All the restaurants seemed to have been hit really hard. The roads have washed out along with tons of soil that they once sat on.

More power and phone lines are down than are up.
The water pipes are exposed, broken and completely washed away in sections. Most of the road past El Sargento is passable only with a 4x4 as the arroyos washed through the road and left soft sand. The Hot Springs road is completely gone. I could not even navigate it on the quad.

As we drove through the street on the quads Sunday, all the people were already busy with the cleanup. People were helping each other, and most are smiling ? even the ones
with extensive damage. The people of La Ventana and El Sargento are wonderful. The communities are supportive and resilient. But you know that, that is why we all live here?

Hasta Luego
Brian

La Ventana El Sargento Hurricane John Pics

flyfishinPam - 9-4-2006 at 10:56 AM

Later this afternoon I'll cross to the south side of the highway where the zaragoza river is flowing. I hear that a landslide north of mirador frida is blocking the road there. I may go that far. workers at Loreto Bay are doing construction and I'd imagine some clean up. I haven't heard from the hotel guests lately but if Alaska flies in tomorrow they should be able to cross and get to the airport just fine.

News on Tom and Patti Higginbotham

ferrelli - 9-4-2006 at 11:01 AM

Hi Everyone,
This is Tom and Patti's daughter Sharon. I am desperate for news about them. If anyone knows anything, please let me know.

airmech - 9-4-2006 at 11:16 AM

San Felipe, Ensenada and Guaymas airports are all open and have fuel. I can't get any info on La Paz, Loreto or San Jose Del Cabo.

Where do these folks live?

flyfishinPam - 9-4-2006 at 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ferrelli
Hi Everyone,
This is Tom and Patti's daughter Sharon. I am desperate for news about them. If anyone knows anything, please let me know.

Tom and Patti Higginbotham

ferrelli - 9-4-2006 at 11:30 AM

They live next door to the Jungle. Just finished a brand new house

Keri - 9-4-2006 at 11:31 AM

Hi Pam,They live in Mulege on the river in Maribels,k

David K check U2U

vgabndo - 9-4-2006 at 11:37 AM

TechsMex - 9-4-2006 at 12:14 PM

Ferrelli,
Actually, I already reported on them in one of my previous posts. Here's the exact quote from Cathy (MulegeMarv) email.

<<tom and patti and tacate barely made it, they actually thought they were going to die and get carried away by the raging waters>>.

Apparently the Jungle is in pretty rough shape, so I don't think it'll be good for the house.
MulegeMarv is on generator and has little gas, so I expect his posts to be short, I don't think they type too fast :biggrin:

Cypress - 9-4-2006 at 12:19 PM

Hang on Marv! Help is on the way.

CaboMagic - 9-4-2006 at 12:21 PM

Pam thank you for your posts - we are relieved to know you and yours are safe ... and that your area received unavoidable damage but overall looks like a little time/sun/elbow grease and luvin' for things to be operable ..

Our hearts are so heavy for the unfortunate circumstances in Mulege .. I dont know what else to do other than what we are doing .. we are having all of our staff, crews, families extended families etc contact anyone they know or knows someone they know (Bernie aka the Baja way) that can get urgent requests for immediate responses ..

Words cannot express how helpless I feel at this moment .. but encouraged by all the positive responses of those willing and able to lend that helping hand to those in need .... LG

JESSE - 9-4-2006 at 12:23 PM

I just talked to my sister around Villa Insurgentes, she says 80 yr old people never remember seeing the arroyos get so high, half the town is flooded but there was no loss of life.

Pappy Jon - 9-4-2006 at 01:14 PM

I've been following this since last week. It makes me want to just tell the boss to blow chunks, load up as much junk as I can, and head south. I'm thinking about ya'all and wish there was something I could do.

Highway1

cjmulege - 9-4-2006 at 02:16 PM

what are the chances of driving down the baja to Mulege within the week. Any reports on road conditions?

Spoke to Someone on the Phone From Mulege

ferrelli - 9-4-2006 at 02:19 PM

Okay, I spoke to my mom, Patti Higginbotham, on the satellite phone. She is in Mulege. It was hard to hear, but this is the latest information:

Tom and Patti Higginbotham are fine, although they had to swim out of their house and luckily found a boat to get into.

Jorge's trailer park is completely gone.

The Orchard is mostly standin, but many roofs and windows, etc. gone. 10 feet of water.

The Oasis has major damage, but houses and trailers are there. 10 feet of water.

Jungle Jims and my parent's house - 10 feet of water.

Villa Maria Isabel - 6 - 8 feet of water.

My parents are staying with Marv and Cathy in the houses as you get toward the Serenidad, so they must have had less water there.

The road from Sta. Rosalia to Mulege is open to 4 wheel drive only at this time.

People (including Americans) desperately need something to cook on, clothes, food, fresh water and shoes (Teva type sandals are best). The American Red Cross will not go to Mexico.

I hope this is helpful, and will continue to post as Patti gets me information about what is needed.

m.porosky - 9-4-2006 at 02:48 PM

Quote:
The Orchard is mostly standin, but many roofs and windows, etc. gone. 10 feet of water.

Do you mean the Orchard Vacation Village?

[Edited on 9-4-2006 by m.porosky]

ferrelli - 9-4-2006 at 02:50 PM

Yes, I mean the Orchard Vacation Village.

ChooChoo54 - 9-4-2006 at 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by flyfishinPam
Later this afternoon I'll cross to the south side of the highway where the zaragoza river is flowing. I hear that a landslide north of mirador frida is blocking the road there. I may go that far. workers at Loreto Bay are doing construction and I'd imagine some clean up. I haven't heard from the hotel guests lately but if Alaska flies in tomorrow they should be able to cross and get to the airport just fine.

Pam, thank you so much for the reports. What do we know of how Juncalito came through? Palapa's still standing? Boats OK? I'm concerned about Johnny Johnson (Topaz on the radio) who is a long time friend.

Thanks,

ChooChoo54

Julie - 9-4-2006 at 04:25 PM

Just spoke with our caretakers in Loreto, phone service is back up at least downtown as of a 1/2 hour ago. Water is receding quickly , they lost power for only about 2 hours on Sat. night. Water is still off until??? But thankfully no injuries to report.
Thank you Pam for all your updates, as you can imagine being up here with no ability to communicate with our friends and neighbors has been frustrating. Hang in there and keep up the good work.
Julie
Iguana Inn

Relief efforts

FutureBajaRetiree - 9-4-2006 at 04:26 PM

Quote:

People (including Americans) desperately need something to cook on, clothes, food, fresh water and shoes (Teva type sandals are best). The American Red Cross will not go to Mexico.

I thought there was a Crusas Roja....isn't there?
Nevertheless, I just wanted to let you all know that Lori (CaboMagic) and I have begun a campaign in the states to get some relief happening. Go to: http://www.cabomagic.com/fishreport.aspx for more info. Right now we're only set up for financial donations BUT we have people lined up for purchasing supplies and distributing to the East Cape and possibly another person in La Paz. If Loreto airport is operational maybe we can get something going on for Loreto/Santa rosalia/Mulege area as well. We both have big hearts and big ideas on how to help Baja recover from John, we now just need good info, good volunteers and generous souls.
Please keep posting updates here as I've been watching carefully to see where the need is going to be because this Hurricane barely made the news here in the states!

Much Love, Linda

Hello from San Jose

bajajudy - 9-4-2006 at 04:37 PM

Hi everyone
All is well here except that as always when we get soooooooo much rain the road goes out and then the power lines.
We had rain and wind. Nothing serious.
My heart goes out to the people north of us who were hit so hard. My prayers are with you all.

mulegejim - 9-4-2006 at 05:06 PM

If someone in Mulege can contact John Dinning to let him know that anything in our trailer or sheds that can be of use to just get them and use them. This would include the storage shed rented from Don Johnson. Jim Galvin

airmech - 9-4-2006 at 05:12 PM

Any word from Cabo Pulmo?

Ferrelli/Higginbotham

David K - 9-4-2006 at 05:19 PM

Hi Sharon

I am glad you were able to post here on Nomad and also to hear from your folks! I was out most of the day, and got your email just a few minutes ago.

I hope for the best for them and all in Mulege who survived the flash flood.

David

Cabo Pulmo

jcgonzalez - 9-4-2006 at 05:37 PM

Got hit hard. I live up there, but got out to San Lucas before the storm hit. From what little I have been able to find out, there is a great deal of destruction of property, many homes destroyed, the road is impassable, of course, many people have lost everything. Communications are difficult but when I hear more, Ill post it here.

Ferrilli

Keri - 9-4-2006 at 05:40 PM

When you talk to Tom and Patty would you have them check on Tanya and Herman. That is a picture of their house or what was their in Jorges. The white house next to the water place. I'd like to know if they are ok.Thanks so much for posting. We all feel so helpless up here. Glad your parents are ok. keri

pelicanreefbarandgrill - 9-4-2006 at 05:40 PM

We are so sorry to hear about goings on down there. Has anyone heard from Calamity Jayne, Gene Lee, Peter, Rick Barber or Bonnie and Gary? We are going to try to come down with supplies as soon as the road is passable. Can someone there please let us know what is most needed? You can reach us via email at pelicanreefbaja@hotmail.com or call us at (864)494-3420. If anyone wants to try to convoy down let us know.
Any info on anyone in Mulege would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Val and Pierce

What is needed

ferrelli - 9-4-2006 at 06:21 PM

I spoke to my mom and dad (Tom and Patti Higginbotham) today via Marv's satellite. They desperately need nonperishable food, fresh water, SHOES (teva style sandals best) because many people have nothing, clothes, and something to cook on. I will let you know when I hear more.

Jim, if you read this, I sent an e-mail telling them to use everything in your sheds, etc.

I will send an e-mail about Herman and Tanya. I did not hear anything from my parents about them, so I can almost guarantee they are fine.

Bruce R Leech - 9-4-2006 at 06:32 PM

some one told me to be carful of what I wish for and they were right. Mulege was devestated by John and some many have lost everything. some peple are still mising and we are looking for them. I have been helping to rescue peple sence saterday night with little sleep. Mulege is compleetly cut off from every ware and with out power water and phone service. the stores have very little food and no drinking water. it looks like it is going to be a cople of weeks befor anything changes so it is going to be real tough on a lot of peple here. every form of help is needed sence bouth the hospital and clinc were flooded. we compleetly lost 2 schools including the new high school. als many business and hundereds of homes. the ones tha are left sufered servire damege,also it took out all of the city water wells so it will be a very long time for them to get us water again. many of us are staying in the kindergarden . I hope every one will excuse my spelling I am very tired and dont have spell check here. so far ther have only been a few deaths confermend but rummers are runing ramped. I will not be abel to respond to this untill they have restored phones and electricty in Mulege.

on a personal not we sufered no property damege to eather our house and business in town or at my ranch and all of my family are just fine.

Bruce

pelicanreefbarandgrill - 9-4-2006 at 06:43 PM

Bruce,
We are so glad to hear that you and your family are safe. We are trying to organize a caravan or relief effort by air from the states. Please let everyone know that we are praying for them and they are not forgotten up here. When we can figure out a way to get help there, it will be on the way.

Estrella - 9-4-2006 at 06:46 PM

Hi all

I have a place across the river from the Orchard next to Huerta Don Chano. Is there any word on how it fared over there? Does anyone know how Manuel and Alisha and family are? If possible, tell Manuel to use our house and whatever he needs-if we have anything left.
I have some pictures of the Orchard and will post them if I can figure out how.
Rod Eck
reck@goldrush.com

bajajudy - 9-4-2006 at 06:48 PM

Bruce glad to hear that you are ok. Hope that help comes to you all in Mulege soon. If I let you know, can you pick up a package or two from the bus station when the road is open again.

Here is a photo of the men in our village helping CFE stand a power pole upright....man power for sure. Within 6 hours we had power again.

These tragedies always bring communities closer and I am sure that will be the case in Mulege.

bajajudy - 9-4-2006 at 06:50 PM

Maybe a laugh is needed.
This is how to anchor a portable office

Eli - 9-4-2006 at 06:54 PM

Judy, Glad to see you have weathered the storm and are back with your good humor in hand. Hasta entonces, Sara

Relief flights

baja1 - 9-4-2006 at 06:54 PM

The Baja Bush Pilots are in contact with Mexico City in an effort to determine what strips are open as well as what is needed. Mexico City has very little knowledge regarding the needs.
On our site we have posted the need for aircraft to do relief work. We have several aircraft as well as one helicopter that have indicated that they can fly supplies into mid-Baja. There will be more once we know more information. The hope is that supplies can be picked up on mainland Mexico (not from the US) and flown in so that the flights are short. Regarding the helicopter, we would want to take supplies to a strip close to the need where a transfer can be made and taken on in.
We need information as to what is specifically needed and where the supplies are available before we call for pilots.
Please e-mail me at jack@bajabushpilots.com if you have specific information.

comitan - 9-4-2006 at 07:17 PM

Finally have a computor and back on line have not read the john postes yet, just to let you know the last trip into La Paz today about 4 there were at least 30 CFE vehicles in the arroyo north of La Paz makeing ready to head north, from the news Comundo area was hit hard.

bajaden - 9-4-2006 at 07:40 PM

Got a U2U from Bruce and the news wasn't good about my place. Im sure I'm just one of many. I'll be heading down as soon as the doctor clears me which hopefully will be at the end of this week. Let me know if there's anything specific anyone needs other than water beans etc. Feeling a little depressed right now so doing anything would help. Thanks Bruce and please get some sleep mi amigo.

Loreto back on line

tehag - 9-4-2006 at 07:50 PM

Some wind, lots of rain, mostly light damage, very messy, highway out, electricty out for 18 hours, phone and net for 36, water still.

Cleaning up going on at a good clip with lots of army help.

Should be pretty normal within a couple more days.

Bajabus - 9-4-2006 at 08:34 PM

I want to echo Lenchos comment, I cannot stress the importance of mosquito netting, bug spray/lotion, water filtration kits and chlorine enough. I know the others are important also but the spread of disease is very real and very dangerous. As soon as there is a place to collect these items and get them in the hands of folks heading down from stateside please let us know so we can send care packages.

I don't have much to report anymore....it is evident that there is a real crisis in Mulege. The cape got pounded but from what I am hearing it is obvious that the priority should be mulege. there is a lot of support from close by areas that fared well around the cape to help those locally.

We need to get help quickly to the north.

mulege

bajabob13 - 9-4-2006 at 09:12 PM

Has anyone seen Roy ( minister ) & DeDe? How about David & DeeDee (the divers)? Has anyone been out to Los Naranjos? Would also like to hear from Gabor & family.
Thanks

Relief group in San Diego forming

Johnny - 9-4-2006 at 09:25 PM

Hi, I'm new here and glad I found you. I am trying to get some people and supplies together to bring supplies down to Baja. You can read my postings on Craigslist.com/san diego/community/ volunteers. I've only gotten a small response and no one showed up to my meeting tonight but I'm still trying. Any Idea about when the roads will be passable from San Diego and also where the help is needed most. I'd like to focus on the poor working people in the ejidos (sp.?) but I'll help anyone. I have someone with a 4x4 truck willing to deliver, and a couple others to collect supplies. Thanks in advance for any replies. I have read the threads so no need to repeat that info. Thanks and be safe.

toneart - 9-4-2006 at 09:56 PM

Johnny,

Right now Mulege is in crisis and needs immediate help. Don't know about ejedos. It is impossible for them to report as of yet.

For your efforts....Bless you! It seems the media is not aware of the devestation in Mulege. Perhaps if you could get The San Diego Union involved other news services would pick it up. I think that would also generate more interest in your efforts.

TechsMex - 9-4-2006 at 10:22 PM

BajaBob,
Roy left about two days before the storm, he & Dede are in CA. He left his truck and a lot of stuff where he was staying in the Orchard, but he's really anxious for someone to check his place at Narojos as he never closed it up properly cause he was only going for two weeks. He'll be heading down soon.
He's also wondering about the condition of the church.
Peter

David K - 9-4-2006 at 11:34 PM

I received this u2u tonight, but it should be posted here where it can do some good...

To: David K
Folder: Inbox
Sent: 9-4-2006 at 10:02 PM
Message: Would like to help but not sure what to do if road access is not possible.

I have a 28 ft travel trailer i could load up but not sure what is needed. Probably water, & food. Perhaps a group could organize a trip down with supplies.

Please let me know.

Art Petersen - Valley Center CA
760 214 1659 - awfulart1 @ sbcglobal.net

[Edited on 9-5-2006 by BajaNomad]

BajaNews - 9-5-2006 at 02:00 AM

Drivers wait to continue their way after a mudslide blocked the road to La Paz following the passage of Hurricane John, 2 September. Hurricane John and the floods it spawned over the weekend killed four people, including an American, and left two people missing, Mexican authorities in Baja California said(AFP/File/Luis Acosta)

At least three killed in Mexico by Hurricane John

BajaNews - 9-5-2006 at 02:02 AM

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N04299509.htm

05 Sep 2006 03:48:58 GMT

LA PAZ, Mexico, Sept 4 (Reuters) - At least three people, including one Briton, were killed when Hurricane John slammed into Mexico's Baja California peninsula, authorities said on Monday.

Three other people are missing after the passage of John, which has been downgraded to a tropical depression, and is now off the west coast of Baja California state and dumping rains on southern U.S. States. But the storm is no longer a major threat.

A British tourist was found drowned on the west coast of Baja California Sur state after his camper trailer was dragged away by a flooding river, the state government said.

The two other dead were Mexicans who also drowned when they were swept away by swollen rivers in separate accidents.

Originally, the civil protection rescue agency said that no one was killed in Baja California Sur state by the storm. But the fatalities came to light in remote regions to the north of the state capital La Paz.

Hurricane John blasted the tourist port city of La Paz late Friday and over the weekend with wicked winds and torrential rain that knocked out power and flooded streets.

The storm flattened trees and up to 40 electric power poles and sent advertising signs flying in city and about 4,000 people living in low-lying areas of La Paz were moved to shelters.

It also sent tourists fleeing in the elegant seaside resort of Los Cabos, further to the west on the tip of the Baja peninsula, which extends about 680 miles (1,100 km) south from the U.S. border.

Hundreds of vacationers, mainly from the United States, took flights home early and others holed up in hotel shelters as the storm threatened to hit the resort head on.

But it veered away from Los Cabos just before making landfall, and only flooded roads as muddy rainwater and debris from surrounding hills poured down unpaved streets.

Pages:  1  ..  3    5