BajaGringo - 11-22-2010 at 08:32 PM

I like the way my good friend Reyes put it:

"Voy despacio porque tengo apuro"

BajaGringo - 11-22-2010 at 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mojo_norte
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I kinda hope he walks on dirt roads the rest of the way and no more coastal 'short-cuts'!

What are the road options between the San Carlos fish camp and Catarina?

From what I could see after spending all day Saturday trying to get across the mesa above you would have to head back out to the highway and then down. Just no easy short cuts there and until you see it for yourself it is hard to understand.

Looking back now, San Carlos may not have been a good travel point if he is trying to make time...

David K - 11-22-2010 at 09:00 PM

8 pm and no SPOT tonight (yet)... It will be the first time since the week Mike began (Oct. 1-7) I have not received a SPOT email from him.

Skipjack Joe - 11-22-2010 at 09:01 PM

Short cut?

Is that what this is? A short cut? - that's sad.

Why not just take a bus from the border to Cabo?

Tell me, David. What is this journey about? Why is it taking place?

I had some time to think about this whole thing this weekend and what came to mind is a quote from Nietzsche I hadn't thought of in 40 years:

"A lion was never so foolish as when he listened to the fox"

or some such thing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

or maybe it was Blake's line from "Proverbs of Hell":

"If the lion was advised by the fox. he would be cunning."

[Edited on 11-23-2010 by Skipjack Joe]

Pompano - 11-22-2010 at 09:04 PM

It's about man's inability to sit still in a room, Igor...you know that.

BajaGringo - 11-22-2010 at 09:10 PM

Quote:
8 pm and no SPOT tonight (yet)... It will be the first time since the week Mike began (Oct. 1-7) I have not received a SPOT email from him.

I just spoke with Chava in Cataviña again a few minutes ago. He is contact with folks by radio down at the camp and he assured me that both Mike and Don-kaY are well and setup for the night.

We will be having breakfast with Mike early tomorrow morning and helping them both to get ready for the trail again muy pronto...

Maddie - 11-22-2010 at 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
Quote:

I just spoke with Chava in Cataviña again a few minutes ago. He is contact with folks by radio down at the camp and he assured me that both Mike and Don-kaY are well and setup for the night.

We will be having breakfast with Mike early tomorrow morning and helping them both to get ready for the trail again muy pronto...

So glad to hear.

Skipjack Joe - 11-22-2010 at 09:21 PM

I'm glad you responded, Roger. I was waiting for you, in fact.

And I'm glad it's said so simply because an explanation wouldn't be sufficient.

David K - 11-22-2010 at 10:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Okay, thanks Ron... Please make sure his SPOT batteries are fresh... Let Mike know there are thousands of viewers who will be quite worried if he forgets the afternoon or evening signal sent. As I said earlier, tonight will be the first time in almost 7 weeks no signal was sent.

Thank you.

fandango - 11-22-2010 at 10:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by fandango
bajagringo: WHO ARE YOU????

you are too fantastic!!!!

Just another BajaNomad. You´d do the very same thing if the situation presented itself, wouldn´t you!???

yeah, i would. wish i could do it now.

LancairDriver - 11-22-2010 at 11:45 PM

Why not simply leave the SPOT tracking feature on? Present position displayed every 10 minutes. Battery life is not a factor. Maybe he doesn't know how to use it?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Okay, thanks Ron... Please make sure his SPOT batteries are fresh... Let Mike know there are thousands of viewers who will be quite worried if he forgets the afternoon or evening signal sent. As I said earlier, tonight will be the first time in almost 7 weeks no signal was sent.

Thank you.

Bob H - 11-23-2010 at 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mojo_norte
Quote:
Halftime, Monday Night Football, San Diego 21/ Denver 7

Go Broncos!

:lol::lol::lol: It was a blowout! YES!

Hook - 11-23-2010 at 05:25 AM

Lancair, if he's staying inside a structure with a cement or maybe tin roof, will the satellite signals still get through?

shari - 11-23-2010 at 07:36 AM

you are right skipjack about taking a burro on strike on the low tide beach....never thought of that...I used to plan my horse rides to san roque so I could take advantage of the low tide hard packed sand to help my horse out a bit.

Good point about the spot device not working if he's in a cement house with a lamina roof...we have to take our gps outside to work too....but I sure was glad to get his spot message this morning.

windgrrl - 11-23-2010 at 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
... Let Mike know there are thousands of viewers who will be quite worried...

This is possibly a true statement, but it sure struck my funny bone!

--Larry

...and I was thinking how technology has changed the nature of adventure so that it can be a spectator event! And in this case, also a rapid response network.

Santiago - 11-23-2010 at 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Lancair, if he's staying inside a structure with a cement or maybe tin roof, will the satellite signals still get through?

This is true. I have to get mine out in the open, it often takes up to 20 minutes before the unit indicates that it has sent the message.

astrobaja - 11-23-2010 at 08:44 AM

I don't know Mike personally from all the accounts here he sounds like a likeable fellow (if a bit stubborn) but hes obviously a bit clueless when it comes to handling big pack animals. To expect the donkey to lug 150 lbs 10 miles a day is too much still! For that distance maybe 80-100 lbs...
Too bad don kay can't talk, if he could Mike would have gotten an earful I'm sure. If I were the donkey Mike would have gotten hooves to the tackle already!:smug:

Brian L - 11-23-2010 at 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by astrobaja
I don't know Mike personally from all the accounts here he sounds like a likeable fellow (if a bit stubborn) but hes obviously a bit clueless when it comes to handling big pack animals. To expect the donkey to lug 150 lbs 10 miles a day is too much still! For that distance maybe 80-100 lbs...
Too bad don kay can't talk, if he could Mike would have gotten an earful I'm sure. If I were the donkey Mike would have gotten hooves to the tackle already!:smug:

Aren't burros/donkeys/mules used to carrying weight? These aren't pets, they're pack animals.

astrobaja - 11-23-2010 at 09:01 AM

Yes of course they are but they are not machines! They have limitations! 30% of the live weight of the animal (depending on a lot of variables like condition, conformation etc) is a good rule of thumb, so for a 150 kg animal 40-50 kg is plenty! Neither are they camels they need enough water!

DENNIS - 11-23-2010 at 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by blane
Aren't burros/donkeys/mules used to carrying weight? These aren't pets, they're pack animals.

Evidently they have limitations and, again evidently, this animal has been asked to exceed these limitations.
People who don't know of these things [such as myself] sometimes have the same expectations of trucks and cargo trailers. Happens all the time with disastrous results.

blane

DianaT - 11-23-2010 at 09:18 AM

Astrobaja posted this link before---very informative about donkeys.

Donkeys

He has also posted a number of posts that are very informative about the age of the donkey, the water and food requirements, etc.

Yes, Don Kay is a pack animals, but all pack animals have limits.

DENNIS - 11-23-2010 at 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
all pack animals have limits.

Still having trouble getting John to help you carry the bags, eh? :lol::lol::lol:

Brian L - 11-23-2010 at 09:42 AM

Great link, thanks I would really, really assume that Mike, with Graham's assistance, had taken all of that into account.

Quote:
Astrobaja posted this link before---very informative about donkeys.

Donkeys

He has also posted a number of posts that are very informative about the age of the donkey, the water and food requirements, etc.

Yes, Don Kay is a pack animals, but all pack animals have limits.

Pompano - 11-23-2010 at 09:43 AM

Jeez, Dennis....

DianaT - 11-23-2010 at 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
all pack animals have limits.

Still having trouble getting John to help you carry the bags, eh? :lol::lol::lol:

He is definitely NOT trainable in anyway----been trying for years, but he gives new meaning to stubborn as a mule or burro. :biggrin::biggrin:

Pompano - 11-23-2010 at 09:49 AM

You have to treat all pack animals properly..or lose the trip. Weigh it right, load it right, tie it right...and don't wear out the packanimal.

Mi compadre, Randy, and I and took 2 quarterhorses and two pack horses most of the length of the Canadian Rockies from south to north..then CNR'ed back ...

....long, long before Brokeback Mountain came out...;D

[Edited on 11-23-2010 by Pompano]

6:36 am SPOT this morning!

David K - 11-23-2010 at 09:54 AM

Maybe he just forgot to push the button last night? Here is what was in my email this morning:

Younghusbands spot
Latitude:29.52468 Longitude:-115.26944 GPS location Date/Time:11/23/2010 06:36:09 PST

This is the same place as Sunday night, Nov. 21, in Puerto (Santa) Catarina fishing village.

[Edited on 11-24-2010 by David K]

DENNIS - 11-23-2010 at 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Jeez, Dennis....

Diane knows it was just a joke. :yes::yes:

Maddie - 11-23-2010 at 12:25 PM

I haven't read anything about "Solo" in the last few days. Anyone know if the dog is still with Mike and Don Kay? I was also thinking it was a good thing Mike sent the two little dogs home when he did.

vandenberg - 11-23-2010 at 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Mi compadre, Randy, and I and took 2 quarterhorses and two pack horses most of the length of the Canadian Rockies from south to north..then CNR'ed back ...

....long, long before Brokeback Mountain came out...;D

[Edited on 11-23-2010 by Pompano]

So,what you're telling us, your travels with Copilot is a whole new experience.:?::?::biggrin::biggrin:

MikeYounghusband - 11-23-2010 at 02:09 PM

Hi guys, thanks for all of the help. Don-Kay is doing great and I have lightened the load considerably. I will not be taking anymore short cuts as they all seem to turn into long cuts. I cannot tell you how proud I am to be a part of a group of Baja nuts like yourselves. I will be leaving tomm. for Canoas and I will be taking the road around and not over any stupid mountains.
The confidence I get from having all of you behind me is a driving force. Once agian thank you and VIVA MEXICO and GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!

Mike Younghusband

Sallysouth - 11-23-2010 at 02:22 PM

That is awesome!I like the "stupid mountains" comment.Yeah the Nomads are a driving force, sometimes driving one crazy!Good on ya Nomads! Now, about Solo.Is he with Mike and ok??

BajaBlanca - 11-23-2010 at 03:37 PM

how fantastic to hear from the hiker explorer Mike himself !!! it is easy for us to read about the trip, but to be doing it, well, all I can say is I personally admire Mike to no end......and wish him the best and mostly HAPPY THANKSGIVING !!

TMW - 11-23-2010 at 05:14 PM

This could be a sad Thanksgiving for Mike, Solo and Don Kay without any turkey and dressing. Maybe just a rattlesnake or some cactus. I think Bajagringo should take them a full Thanksgiving special with all the trimmings. On the other hand make Mike knows where that special wiskey is hidden just for such occasions.

David K - 11-23-2010 at 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by spi619
Hi guys, thanks for all of the help. Don-Kay is doing great and I have lightened the load considerably. I will not be taking anymore short cuts as they all seem to turn into long cuts. I cannot tell you how proud I am to be a part of a group of Baja nuts like yourselves. I will be leaving tomm. for Canoas and I will be taking the road around and not over any stupid mountains.
The confidence I get from having all of you behind me is a driving force. Once agian thank you and VIVA MEXICO and GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!

Mike Younghusband

WONDERFUL and how did you post on Nomad from Puerto Catarina??? I don't think you will see this, but HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Can't wait to hear from BajaGringo!

David K - 11-23-2010 at 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
Quote:
Maybe he just forgot to push the button last night? Here is what was in my email this morning:

Younghusbands spot
Latitude:29.52468 Longitude:-115.26944 GPS location Date/Time:11/23/2010 06:36:09 PST

This is the same place as Sunday night, Nov. 21, in Puerto (Santa) Catarina fishing village.

you of all people misspelled
the name of the camp

Thank you for noting that, I appreciate it and I fixed it... It was a typo (the t and r are next to each other on the keyboard)... and I was in a rush this morning so didn't proof my work before posting!

DENNIS - 11-23-2010 at 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
This could be a sad Thanksgiving for Mike, Solo and Don Kay without any turkey and dressing. Maybe just a rattlesnake or some cactus. I think Bajagringo should take them a full Thanksgiving special with all the trimmings. On the other hand make Mike knows where that special wiskey is hidden just for such occasions.

You're kidding....right?
The man's on an adventure that you and I admire, fear and envy. He's getting away from it all..so to speak.
He's on his own and any delivery of civilization would only make his efforts a part of our efforts.

Leave the man alone to do or die. That's why he started this.

David K - 11-23-2010 at 05:58 PM

He will probably have lobster (Baja Turkey)!

mtgoat666 - 11-23-2010 at 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
This could be a sad Thanksgiving for Mike, Solo and Don Kay without any turkey and dressing.

do donkeys like turkey? (most donkeys i have met were herbivores)

i think donkay is a gringo, so maybe he has a vegetarian t-giving tradition from his youth and he may be sad to miss the holiday.

but solo is a mexican mutt, and i don't think he will regret missing a holiday that he has never experienced.

:lol::lol:

mojo_norte - 11-23-2010 at 06:11 PM

Quote:

The man's on an adventure that you and I admire, fear and envy. He's getting away from it all..so to speak.
He's on his own and any delivery of civilization would only make his efforts a part of our efforts.

adventure is where you are when you wish you weren't, and where you aren't when you wish you were-

David K - 11-23-2010 at 09:30 PM

Okay gang... maybe he is just going to send his morning location out, as nothing yet tonight...?

Looking forward to hearing from BajaGringo about driving to PUERTO CATARINA today!

David K - 11-24-2010 at 08:28 AM

No signal this morning... (yet)

TMW - 11-24-2010 at 09:42 AM

OK OK Solo can eat road kill. Don Kay can eat cactus flowers and Mike probably has a can of Spam in his back pack. Here is wishing them a very happy Thanksgiving on the road again.

BornFisher - 11-24-2010 at 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
OK OK Solo can eat road kill. Don Kay can eat cactus flowers and Mike probably has a can of Spam in his back pack. Here is wishing them a very happy Thanksgiving on the road again.

And while Solo is getting his roadkill special, Mike can sneak up on the kill and get him a real Baja turkey (vulture)!!!
O.K.-- lobster sounds better! ;)
Happy Dia de Gracias everyone!

Maddie - 11-24-2010 at 10:51 AM

Wishing all you Baja Nomads a very Happy Thanksgiving!

I've heard Baja Turkey tastes like chicken.

Graham - 11-24-2010 at 12:59 PM

Looking forward to hearing that the intrepid threesome are on a good road, any kind of road, heading south and enjoying those wonderful lonely Pacific beaches.

And watch out where you tread....

And give SOLO a hug from me. She really is a gentle sweetheart of a dog... right out of the Peaceable Kingdom...

And that Don Kay, what a treasure....

Happy Thanksgiving Pilgrims!

BajaGringo - 11-24-2010 at 01:08 PM

My good friend Meño Casteneda was a really good sport to answer my knock at 4:00AM yesterday morning and accompany me out to see Mike and company at Puerto Catarina. I was bringing some more water and a few other supplies for Mike and my co-pilot (not as pretty as Pompano's) Meño had the hot coffee and plenty of lighthearted conversation for the 3 hour drive ahead.

It was a really cold morning drive through the desert on Hwy 1 south of El Rosario with the temperatures reaching freezing a couple of times. Reminded me that sticking close to the coastline has its advantages this time of the year.

When we finally reached Mike down at the puerto it was a great sight to see him run up, still in good spirits with Don-Kay munching on some hay with Solorina right behind. We sat and just talked for a long while as Mike shared with me all that he had gone through the last week and especially the last few days.

He was really appreciative of the help Neil and crew brought days before. Don-Kay had gone almost 4 days without any water and he had just a very small amount left for himself. After their panga left Mike tried to keep moving forward but the going seemed to prove tougher with every step. They ended up having to make camp in an uncomfortable spot in a very tight ravine that night and Mike got little sleep.

The next day they pushed on, trying to get around the point but it was becoming obvious that it was just not meant to be. There was no path that Don-Kay could follow and trying to keep him moving across the rocks was becoming increasingly hazardous as Don-Kay had taken a couple of falls, each time dropping the load and Mike was concerned that the next fall would be the last for the poor animal that was now bleeding from the falls.

He shared with me that he was at the end of his rope and just about to send out another signal for help when something quite amazing happened. Mike told me the story of how he, Don-Kay and Solo were able to get out and eventually reach Puerto Catarina with arms waving and a very excited voice.

After he shared his story Mike asked me to not publish those details right now as that will probably be a chapter all to itself in his book. I can tell you that it involves some great people down here that selflessly gave of themselves, their time and resources under some extraordinary circumstances, asking nothing of Mike in return. I will respect Mike's request in that regard but I can tell you that it will make a great read.

At that point Mike's adrenalin started to subside and I asked him what else he needed. I then noticed that he had a few cactus quills in his arm. He shared with me that he had spent most of his time extracting them from Don-Kay and he wasn't even aware he still had a few left himself. We shared a good laugh about that as I helped pull the last ones out.

So with the last reminder of the past few days gone he then asked if we could get him to El Rosario. He needed to make some phone calls, send an email or two and restock up on supplies.

Making sure Don-Kay and Solo were OK, we took off back down the road and made the drive back north, stopping to have lunch with his friend Ed at Baja's Best who also provided us with some alfalfa for Don-Kay. Mike told me he wanted to make a quick post here on Nomad and used Ed's computer. After a great lunch we headed to the grocery store and then another stop at Antonio's to gas up and we were on our way back down again.

On the return trip we talked a lot about what had gone wrong and the road he would be taking from here. He agreed that Don-Kay needed a lighter load and told me that he had dumped a lot of his personal gear to make that happen. He was aware that he had just come through a very perilous section of the coastline and from here on out he was going to stick to the roads that would lead him directly between ranches, small towns and fish camps.

Once we got back to the Puerto Catarina camp Solo ran up, obviously very happy to see that Mike had returned and Meño ran into some old friends of his he hadn't seen in a long time.

We talked awhile longer and Mike assured me that the days they had taken off to rest there had provided the time and opportunity to get the team refreshed and with new energy to hit the road again. He planned on packing up and heading out for Canoas at daylight.

Yes, he will be taking the inland route around the mesa and not the coastline route!

A round of hugs for all and we said our goodbyes.

Really wish Mike the best and a very big thanks to my good friends Duro, Meño and Chava who all played key roles in this adventure.

Mike will share the story about a few other characters who played a role in his book, I am quite sure...

[Edited on 11-25-2010 by BajaGringo]

MikeYounghusband - 11-24-2010 at 01:23 PM

Hi guys just a note to let you know that there will not be a signal tonight either. Had the Vaquero from the ranch look Don-Kay over and he felt that he could use another day off, so I am still here. For sure will be leaving in the AM. All is well and Canoas is right aroud the corner. Actually its two days away. Ya know it would be fun to have a Nomad get together when I get back and I can share this adventure with all of you personally. What do you think.
Talk to you soon,

Mike Younghusband

BajaGringo - 11-24-2010 at 01:31 PM

Just name the place and we'll be there Mike...

Skipjack Joe - 11-24-2010 at 01:57 PM

Thank you for this very informative report, Bajagringo.

It appears that his new friends were concerned and watching out for him.

P.S. I once got a quill in me that itched for years. Those things can be nasty.

[Edited on 11-24-2010 by Skipjack Joe]

Brian L - 11-24-2010 at 02:01 PM

Quote:
After he shared his story Mike asked me to not publish those details right now as that will probably be a chapter all to itself in his book. I can tell you that it involves some great people down here that selflessly gave of themselves, their time and resources under some extraordinary circumstances, asking nothing of Mike in return. I will respect Mike's request in that regard but I can tell you that it will make a great read.

I hope you get a cut of the book sales, because you just sold me!

That was great that you went down to check on Mike. Very kind and generous. Thanks for posting the update.

GO MIKE GO!

BajaGringo - 11-24-2010 at 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Thank you for this very informative report, Bajagringo.

It appears that his new friends were concerned and watching out for him.

Indeed my friend...

TMW - 11-24-2010 at 02:07 PM

["Ya know it would be fun to have a Nomad get together when I get back and I can share this adventure with all of you personally. What do you think."]

Sounds like party time to me.

FYI when Mike gets to the Bahia Blanco area there is a fish camp on the north end of the beach north of Bahia Blanco over the mtn/hill. There is someone there living full time. We met him on our trip last week. Nice guy maybe 30ish. A lot of the fish camps are empty during the day and at night. Early morning and evening they are there.

David K - 11-24-2010 at 02:12 PM

Great to hear an update... Thanks!!

Barry A. - 11-24-2010 at 02:18 PM

It would appear that an adventurous feline wants to join the expedition, and is really suckin-up to the existing participants. The more the merrier????

Great story and shots. I just hope I am still around when the book comes out-----I REALLY want to know how Mike and company got to Puerto Catarina from El Canasto arroyo. :?:

And once again, kudos to all that helped, and went way out of their way to support this effort. NOMADS are the greatest!!!

Barry

BajaGringo - 11-24-2010 at 02:22 PM

Great photo Graham. That could be a book cover...

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham

David K - 11-24-2010 at 03:29 PM

Updated map to bring us to tonight's location (Nov. 24)... I changed the highlight color as the previous one blended with the ocean and arroyos.

I hope to see a new SPOT signal tomorow night... perhaps along that 8.5 mile road.

Skipjack Joe - 11-24-2010 at 07:05 PM

Quote:

He was really appreciative of the help Neil and crew brought days before. Don-Kay had gone almost 4 days without any water and he had just a very small amount left for himself.

Can you explain some of my questions regarding these statements:

The literature states that a donkey can't survive beyond 3 days without water. So how did DK do it?

David's markers show that they were, I think, only 1 day out of San Carlos so why was he without water for so long? Didn't the pangueros bring water for the animal during the rescue?

Mind you I'm not implying or suggesting anything here and I don't want to start anything. I just don't understand the 4 days without water. That seems like a mistake.

BajaGringo - 11-24-2010 at 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:

He was really appreciative of the help Neil and crew brought days before. Don-Kay had gone almost 4 days without any water and he had just a very small amount left for himself.

Can you explain some of my questions regarding these statements:

The literature states that a donkey can't survive beyond 3 days without water. So how did DK do it?

David's markers show that they were, I think, only 1 day out of San Carlos so why was he without water for so long? Didn't the pangueros bring water for the animal during the rescue?

Mind you I'm not implying or suggesting anything here and I don't want to start anything. I just don't understand the 4 days without water. That seems like a mistake.

By my calculation it was four days since they left San Carlos. Mike departed on the 15th and he didn't send out the distress signal until the 19th. He expected to cover the distance to Catarina in just a few days and didn't expect to need too much water for that distance. Not sure how much he actually left SC with.

Mike told me that Neil and crew brought a 5 gallon drinking water bottle that was about 80% full. Don-Kay drank most of that.

As far as how long a burro can go without water, Mike assured me that food was a bigger issue than water for a burro on the trail. I have been called a dumb burro but I am no burro expert so I am probably the wrong burro to answer that question...

[Edited on 11-25-2010 by BajaGringo]

astrobaja - 11-24-2010 at 08:22 PM

Well I can see why hes doin this in Mexico because if it was done stateside he would be arrested by the SPCA by this point!

Everybody knows that you can go a long time without food but WATER?

I ain't buying his book:fire:

Punta Canoas Info

bajaguy - 11-24-2010 at 08:29 PM

Since Mike is /will be headed to, around or near Punta Canoas, thought I would throw in a little known bit of information........

On December 8, 1945 two US Navy F6F Hellcat fighters Bureau (serial) numbers 40529 and 42309 experienced engine failures and ditched in the Pacific, off of Point Canoas.

The aircraft were flying training missions from a carrier along the Pacific coast of Baja

During and after WWII, many of these aircraft crashes were never recovered.......would be interesting to know if these two Hellcats are still resting off of Punta Canoas..........

mojo_norte - 11-24-2010 at 08:43 PM

Quote:
Well I can see why hes doin this in Mexico because if it was done stateside he would be arrested by the SPCA by this point!

hear hear

woody with a view - 11-24-2010 at 09:05 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by TW

You're kidding....right?

and if they/we/you did, Mike would be alone trying to send a SOS to a passing panguero who would be looking at those deep ravines thinking, "solomente un bruto......" and keep going.

Happy Thanksgiving to all and to all a good night. you guys rock! i'm still trying to turn over a new leaf, but all of my trees dropped their leaves a month ago!.!.!.!

:P

but i agree Dennis, i could walk around the world if there were Big Men like BajaGringo and the boys at San Carlos to carry my water.

Suerte, Mike.

Curt63 - 11-24-2010 at 09:19 PM

As Mike is heading into Woody's back yard, Its time for Woody to step up and post all the secret maps, photos, GPS waypoints etc. of the next 100 miles

That would really help Mike, Don Kay, Solo and those helping him along.

woody with a view - 11-24-2010 at 09:23 PM

as i see this thread, he hasn't even made it to canoas.

BTW, if you've been paying attention for the past "X" years, you'd know that Mike is entering "the area that shall not be named" although i'm sure every map, gps co-ord and rumor of a bypass will be forthcoming so that Mike will know just where to go.:?:

woody with a view - 11-24-2010 at 09:25 PM

and Curt, BTW, that's a nice fish. and what did your wife ever see in you (from another thread)?

:P

you know i'm kidding, right? new leaf and all!

Brian L - 11-24-2010 at 09:25 PM

Quote:

Donkey looked pretty good in the most recent picture. I would honestly find other things to worry about in this world than that.

I may have to buy two books then.

woody with a view - 11-24-2010 at 09:28 PM

save a tree, eat a beaver! or just read the book on a Kindle...... isn't this the new millenium? who reads a book these days?

Diver - 11-24-2010 at 09:29 PM

Quote:

Do you really think he is in this to "Do or Die" ?

Personally, I think he's in it for an adventure and a book contract .
He has obviously not planned all that well and is looking for all the help he can get.
"Could you please drive me to El Rosario so I can make some calls and emails and get some supplies and hit a restaurant ?", doesn't sound like "Do or Die" to me.
Carrying a SPOT and calling for help does not sound like "Do or Die" to me.
"Could you NOT tell Nomads about this part so I can use it for my book?", doesn't sound like "Do or Die" to me either.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great adventure and I'm enjoying his trip and DK's maps but "Do or Die"; I don't think so, and I certainly hope not; for he or his critters.

Carry on Mike and good luck; no offense intended.

Brian L - 11-24-2010 at 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Quote:

He has obviously not planned all that well and is looking for all the help he can get.
"Could you please drive me to El Rosario so I can make some calls and emails and get some supplies and hit a restaurant ?", doesn't sound like "Do or Die" to me.
"Could you NOT tell Nomads about this part so I can use it for my book?", doesn't sound like "Do or Die" to me either.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great adventure and I'm enjoying his trip and DK's maps but "Do or Die"; I don't think so, and I certainly hope not; for he or his critters.

It's too bad all these people are speaking for someone that doesn't have the chance to reply. From all accounts, he did plan very well. And saying "no offense intended" doesn't hide the fact you probably intended to offend.

LancairDriver - 11-24-2010 at 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Quote:

I've been thinking along the same line. Planning is obviously lacking, consideration for the animals lacking, leaning on the good intentions and help of the Nomads and others has been essential to his adventure so far. Hardly the stuff for a good book.

bajafam - 11-24-2010 at 09:57 PM

Gee, on every trip to Baja we "plan" to get lost at some point....on one trip we were even considered Missing Persons....the FBI was notified! But that's another story for another thread....even the best laid plans can go wrong.

Walk On, Mike!!

Imagining the perfect adventure...

windgrrl - 11-24-2010 at 09:57 PM

...is simple when one is a keyboard quarterback. I can't think of any major adventures or explorers who had the perfect plan or the perfect outcome or did it all by themselves. Writing a book is no easy task, either.

Godspeed man, donkey & dog,
w

“May you have warm words on a cold evening, a full moon on a dark night and a smooth road all the way to your door.”

Skipjack Joe - 11-24-2010 at 10:49 PM

I agree. The problems with the donkey are just due to inexperience and are not intentionally mean spirited. Mike is learning as he goes along. That's one of the rewards of any good journey. The book, told directly and honestly, will be a seller. With this episode being the highlight of the book.

Barry A. - 11-24-2010 at 11:38 PM

Yep, I'm with you, SkipJack, and others who think that Mike is doing just great.

What a fantastic adventure-------shades of Graham, for sure.

I won't miss this book--------and I will buy a second one for my son.

Barry

Graham - 11-25-2010 at 01:01 AM

I think something must have got lost in translation here. I simply cannot believe that "Don-Kay had gone almost 4 days without any water."

I had one or two tough days where my burro was rationed severely and surviving on barrel cactus and morning dew and I'm sure I suffered as much as Mision did. But four days? I'd be looking for another burro!

Makes more sense to believe Mike said he'd gone four days without picking up any water, or for days without picking it up. I've been misunderstood and misquoted enough to suspend judgement on this.

For months and months I've seen the way Mike dotes on Don Kay, if his burro was that stressed and endangered he would have activated his SPOT "Need assistance" button long before he did.

BajaBlanca - 11-25-2010 at 08:25 AM

Don Kay sure looks happy and healthy enough !! as does dog !! once mike reaches La Bocana we will see for ourselves.

i sure worry much much more about the dogs in all these villages in baja who are sitting inthe sun for years at a time and never walked, never run and mostly ignored all their lives....

one of these days Mike will make it to la bocana and we shall get to hear some stories too.

no matter how well you plan, we all know that any trip to baja is not just a vacation but an adventure. why do you expect Mike's trip to be any different ???? when you get stuck in sand on the beach, should the locals leave you there because you should have planned better ?? hehehe HAHAHA

:lol::lol::lol:

astrobaja - 11-25-2010 at 09:30 AM

Wow I'm so impressed that people on the board can tell so much from a picture! I guess in our 20+ years owning and running a equestrian centre all we needed to do was fax/e-mail the vet a picture and he could have told all!

Apologies to Graham....

cardonhugger - 11-25-2010 at 09:38 AM

In the "hysteria" of the Spot help plea episode I wondered how anyone might encourage one to to attempt that rough stretch with animals. I had insinuated, mainly based on a 20+ year old "Baja Rancho Rumor" that possibly Graham had not done this part of the coast in 1983. Upon further review, I retrieved "Into a Desert Place" from my brother and reread the pertinent section. I WAS WRONG! I have personally apologized to Graham.

Combined with the consumption of numerous Modelos over the past two decades, and few photos and named locations in the book of this remote area(thank goodness), I inadvertently asserted the gossip on this public forum. I shall return to the corner of the room and don the tall pointy hat....

While I'm cringing at the daily Mike's Satellite "Truman Show" as details are posted hourly, someone might want to get word to Mike to keep a low profile where he's heading. I've quietly had "boots on the ground" in this area since the early '70's. What the map and Google posters don't realize after one "windshield" trip through this area is this coast and inner section are the MAIN drug importation route for the cartels. In the past decades I've personally run across scores of clandestine airstrips cleared out of the desert along with Non-fishing dual-outboard Super Panga's racing along the fog line. Maybe someone could bring a Desert Storm camo suit down for Don-Kay! Wrong place at the wrong time; the Cartel doesn't like witnesses......

Peace Graham,
CH

Graham - 11-25-2010 at 10:05 AM

Apology accepted cardonhugger... and I thank you making it on this Thankgiving day.

I did a few things on my trips that I would never do under "normal" circumstances and looking back over 27 years I know I'm in need of a little forgiveness too.

Certainly Mike is making the tough decisions himself on his trip, sometimes against my advice. And so far he's still going and learning and getting away with it.

The rest of the trip will be different and hopefully easier, but certainly not routine. And you're right CH, if Mike runs into the wrong characters on the wrong remote beach he may be in deep burro doo-doo.

Wishing you many happy adventures on your amazing solo Baja adventures.

Picture of me from 1983 where Mike will soon be.

[Edited on 11-27-2010 by BajaNomad]

DianaT - 11-25-2010 at 10:10 AM

Quote:
Wow I'm so impressed that people on the board can tell so much from a picture! I guess in our 20+ years owning and running a equestrian centre all we needed to do was fax/e-mail the vet a picture and he could have told all!

Your information and links about donkeys have been really valuable, and I accept that perhaps you know more than most about these type animals. I with just a little knowledge from my old pack station friends, gasped when I first saw that donkey----and those monster packs.

But you really filled in the gaps about the age of the donkey, the food and water requirements, how an overloaded young donkey can suffer permanent damage. Thanks

I believe that when a person decides to enter upon such an adventure, it is their choice and they are willing to accept the risks.

But when they drag an animal, like a donkey along, they are, or should be totally responsible for the welfare of said donkey. The donkey had no choice in the matter.

I agree with one person who passed on to me the thought that abuse to an animal out of ignorance is just as bad as intentional abuse. And I just cannot see how the abuse of some dogs in Baja justifies the abuse of another animal.

It is such a romantic notion of man and beast headed off into the wilderness and so many want to be just a little part of that and encourage him on. A happy looking donkey in one picture and the idea of just making a wrong turn just ignore some what some others have said---lack of real knowledge about burros, and lack of appropriate planning for the situation.

In the past, we loved backpacking into the wilderness---always a great adventure. In my mind, especially with his chosen course, it would be very different if he had gone it alone.

[Edited on 11-26-2010 by DianaT]

Hook - 11-25-2010 at 10:15 AM

150 lbs. was always the limit on pack animals in the Sierra Nevada, when we utilized them (frequently). These were a combination of donkeys, burros and pack horses.

But, of course, they didnt need to carry their own water. There were streams aplenty.

If that animal dies or is injured permanently, PETA is gonna have a new poster boy.

Anyway, after he reads all this, he'll realize (as so many of us have) that the publicity of the Nomads board can be a two-edged sword.

DENNIS - 11-25-2010 at 10:15 AM

Quote:
It is such a romantic notion of man and beast headed off into the wilderness and so many want to be just a little part of that and encourage him on.

Brings this to mind:

http://0.tqn.com/d/gocalifornia/1/0/j/r/500xmjdonkeyc05.jpg

Bob H - 11-25-2010 at 10:38 AM

Quote:

Picture of me from 1983 where Mike will soon be.

Graham, great black and white photo! Wow.... hey, how did you get that gash in your knee?

[Edited on 11-27-2010 by BajaNomad]

Graham - 11-25-2010 at 01:18 PM

Bob, Gash in knee was probably one in a hundred. Not sure about that one but most likely from collisions with agaves or pitahayas, or taking a fall on wet rocks under the cliffs.

I got really good at walking the slippery rocks along the shore, but every few days I'd crash down and the blood would flow. That never bothered me as much as rupturing my bleach bottles and losing water.

Graham - 11-25-2010 at 01:31 PM

Hard evidence!

As for Don Kay, I agree a single photo doesn't tell us too much about his condition. Here's a little movie I made at Punta Baja, just before the burro was getting into that long hard stretch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgy4lgkTsrI

Billy club?

El Camote - 11-25-2010 at 01:40 PM

Quote:
Hard evidence!

As for Don Kay, I agree a single photo doesn't tell us too much about his condition. Here's a little movie I made at Punta Baja, just before the burro was getting into that long hard stretch.

Well, I for one feel reassured if Mike and crew run into any unsavory characters in remote areas, Don-Kay has a serious truncheon onboard for defense. :O

Nov. 25, 2010

David K - 11-25-2010 at 08:36 PM

Mike and company had the most progress of their trip covering 16 miles from their previous SPOT location.

Barry A. - 11-26-2010 at 11:00 AM

Wow, that's a MAJOR march-----like almost 16 miles!?!?!?! That trio is in GOOD shape, I am thinking.

Barry

BajaGringo - 11-26-2010 at 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Wow, that's a MAJOR march-----like almost 16 miles!?!?!?! That trio is in GOOD shape, I am thinking.

Barry

He lightened the load quite a bit more and Don-Kay had several days to rest which should really help. Hopefully the team will be making sure they have enough water and rest along the way to make it all the way to Los Cabos.

I am pulling for them...

DianaT - 11-26-2010 at 02:39 PM

Quote:
I have to tell you that with all the 'Monday morning quarterbacking' about Mike and Don-Kay from some Nomads I was hesitant to continue with the daily location posts...

If everyone interested in the burro had taken the time to read the pre-trip articles and video clip, they would know that Mike loves the burro and all his animals... It was hard for him to hand his two personal pets over to Graham to take back north... but he knew it was for their own good.

Anyway, everyone was well rested and the load lightened... The fact that they covered so many miles the first day after the Puerto Catarina rest was very good news, and so I wanted you all to see what they did.

Sure, I was a bit miffed that Mike isn't telling us Nomads how he got Don-Kay around the cliffs to Puerto Catarina... after the help all the involved Nomads provided. But, since Ed at the newspaper is getting his information from here, I guess I see why. The story and photos of that event (if any) should be great to see once the book is published.

So, let's just enjoy following Mike's SPOT locations as he moves south and look forward to reading form those who have seen him along the way or when he gets on the Internet to tell us himself.

1. You should learn to comprehend what is said when you read words---won't repeat them as it is hopeless that you will ever will understand.

2. Your intended put downs with "Monday Morning Quaterbacking and your put down comment of "if everyone had only read" ----are once again, VERY offensive in their implications and assumptions ----nothing new for you. ---

3. What happened was not a simple glitch, nor a simple wrong turn, and what he subjected Don Kay too ---well, never mind.

4. But not to worry, you will get your moment of fame you seek, and your chance to say once again, gosh, I only wanted to help.

So carry on with your maps---you draw well with a high lighter.

On Edit---I already know your usual responses very well as they never change - go for it

Barry A. - 11-26-2010 at 02:57 PM

Quote:

1. You should learn to comprehend what is said when you read words---won't repeat them as it is hopeless that you will ever will understand.

2. You intended put downs with "Monday Morning Quaterbacking and your put down comment of "if everyone had only read" ----are once again, VERY offensive in their implications and assumptions ----nothing new for you. ---

3. What happened was not a simple glitch, nor a simple wrong turn, and what he subjected Don Kay too ---well, never mind.

4. But not to worry, you will get your moment of fame you seek, and your chance to say once again, gosh, I only wanted to help.

So carry on with your maps---you draw well with a high lighter.

On Edit---I already know your usual responses very well as they never change - go for it

Hmmmmmmmm, looks like a 'pot calling a kettle black' to me. :lol:

Pretty funny.

WORDS---It's all in the interpretation, and here is a prime example. We (all of us) ALWAYS bring our bias to the table, unfortunately.

Barry

Barry, you are correct and I apologize for posting while angry and not really thinking it through---so let me try this again.

DianaT - 11-26-2010 at 05:04 PM

Quote:
I have to tell you that with all the 'Monday morning quarterbacking' about Mike and Don-Kay from some Nomads I was hesitant to continue with the daily location posts...

If everyone interested in the burro had taken the time to read the pre-trip articles and video clip, they would know that Mike loves the burro and all his animals... It was hard for him to hand his two personal pets over to Graham to take back north... but he knew it was for their own good.

Anyway, everyone was well rested and the load lightened... The fact that they covered so many miles the first day after the Puerto Catarina rest was very good news, and so I wanted you all to see what they did.

Sure, I was a bit miffed that Mike isn't telling us Nomads how he got Don-Kay around the cliffs to Puerto Catarina... after the help all the involved Nomads provided. But, since Ed at the newspaper is getting his information from here, I guess I see why. The story and photos of that event (if any) should be great to see once the book is published.

So, let's just enjoy following Mike's SPOT locations as he moves south and look forward to reading form those who have seen him along the way or when he gets on the Internet to tell us himself.

DK---please point out or quote where anyone said that Mike does not love his animals? I sure cannot find that. Love may have had nothing to do with him slapping 200 pounds on the back of a young donkey. Maybe he thought the donkey would love it. We don't know his reasons---and not assuming any

Difficult to believe that he researched his adventure so well and yet still chose such an inappropriate course for the donkey that I am sure he loves. And it proved to be a very poor choice----not a misstep---cannot assume why he made that choice after all his research.

Just how do you come to the conclusion that anyone did or did not watch those videos? I know your assumption worked for your conclusion, but do you have ANY direct knowledge of same? Please post it if you do

And frankly, I think Mike owes no one his story, after all there is a book in all of this----smart economic choice it would seem.

So keep your high lighter going and you will probably receive your kudos and credit. But please, refrain from your put downs of others unless you have direct knowledge.

As always, I wish Mike well and DonKay better.

[Edited on 11-27-2010 by DianaT]

Skipjack Joe - 11-26-2010 at 05:53 PM

Quote:
Hard evidence!

As for Don Kay, I agree a single photo doesn't tell us too much about his condition. ...

Heh, Heh. Why that donkey would be real valuable around a farm. He could plow the earth without a plow.

Nov. 26, 2010

David K - 11-26-2010 at 06:07 PM

Another big day for Mike and company... At least 14 miles traveled from last night's position.

The AAA map doesn't show the road that is close to the coast that Mike is using... see the Topo map below...

TMW - 11-26-2010 at 06:19 PM

David continue the good work.

mojo_norte - 11-26-2010 at 06:43 PM

Quote:
It is such a romantic notion of man and beast headed off into the wilderness and so many want to be just a little part of that and encourage him on. A happy looking donkey in one picture and the idea of just making a wrong turn just ignore some what some others have said---lack of real knowledge about burros, and lack of appropriate planning for the situation.

Burro's a romantic prop . Burro looks good on book cover.

mojo_norte - 11-26-2010 at 06:54 PM

Quote:

Knowing that stretch and knowing the nature of Burros I'm sure alot of unsavory whipping and rock throwing were involved ..

Is this adventure all about 'The Book' ? I thought you do the adventure 1st and then start talking about the book?

DENNIS - 11-26-2010 at 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Get real, you can't do it! :lol:

In spite of the fact that this is the Mike and David show [:lol:] Mike should be thankful that someone is keeping track of him. His margin for error is thin.
Keep up the good work, David.

woody with a view - 11-26-2010 at 07:26 PM

i think Diane has put her finger on an underlying pulse of this thread.

that sound you hear is the blackhole that is Don-Kay's ego sucking all matter into the area around oceanside, ca. sure, he is spending some time putting Mike's adventure into perspective for the BajaNomadNation, but then why should you/we read the book (on a Kindle of course!) as you/we already know what happened?

that said, Mike has only to get through the next 3-4 days and the weather will be on his side. no more rain, ugly fish camps, localistic surf N-zi's..... just the cartel, as CardonHugger refered to, although what are the odds of foul play? from there Mike is sleeping in a real bed and getting fed every day until cabo.

good luck, Mike!

Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  16