BajaNomad

Gary Patton - Updated Jan. 5, 2015

Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  24

BajaDixon - 10-5-2013 at 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCalPattonCrew
BajaDixon,
I imagine the entire forum will know if he has been found by the start dates of your two trips, but I have noted on our calendar to post to you by Oct. 10th. & Oct. 18th.
Thanks for your very kind offer, and once again to the entire, amazing Bajanomad forum. Thanks, too, 24Baja.
The Patton family

You are absolutely right that everyone will know about him being discovered. I guess I didn't have my thinking cap on when I requested a post. Scratch my request for a post and I will simply check the forum prior to searching the next few weeks. You've got your hands full as it is.

DENNIS - 10-5-2013 at 03:21 PM

Anything new?

Marla Daily - 10-5-2013 at 04:20 PM

It is one month ago today the last confirmed sighting of Gary Patton occurred at Jardines in San Quintin, Baja California. To date almost 50,000 hits have followed the story of his disappearance on this site. Today is also the day of the wedding of Gary's nephew, according to relatives who posted on this site.

Yet Gary Patton remains missing. The nomad community will continue to be vigilante in its search for him. Our hearts go out to all his family members who await news.

BajaBlanca - 10-5-2013 at 04:23 PM

Thanks all, here is the latest from the family:

Please pass along deep gratitude to the folks venturing out to search such distances ... we will be researching air search in the new few days.. best to all the kind folks that make up the bajanomads! You've all been such a shoulder to lean on during this ....

DENNIS - 10-5-2013 at 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marla Daily
It is one month ago today the last confirmed sighting of Gary Patton occurred at Jardines in San Quintin, Baja California.

Refresh my memory, please. Confirmed?
Forgive me, and my impaired memory, but I don't recall "confirmed."
Again....forgive my impaired memory.

DENNIS - 10-5-2013 at 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
It is one month ago today the last confirmed sighting of Gary Patton occurred at Jardines in San Quintin, Baja California.

Refresh my memory, please. Confirmed?
Forgive me, and my impaired memory, but I don't recall "confirmed."
Again....forgive my impaired memory.

Helloooooo....... is there a reply to this inquiry?
I'm really curious.

tripledigitken - 10-5-2013 at 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
Thanks all, here is the latest from the family:

Please pass along deep gratitude to the folks venturing out to search such distances ... we will be researching air search in the new few days.. best to all the kind folks that make up the bajanomads! You've all been such a shoulder to lean on during this ....

BajaBlanca,

Does this mean the lead in Rosarito Beach has been dismissed?

Ken

Marla Daily - 10-5-2013 at 06:55 PM

This now 21-page thread opened on September 9 with the following information:

The search is on for Gary Patton who was last seen at Jardines Hotel (San Quintin) on Sept.3rd and 4th and indicated to staff there that he might be returning that Sunday.

Nothing has changed. The search continues—this family needs help and results. We will continue to assist in whatever ways we can.

DENNIS - 10-5-2013 at 07:20 PM

Quote:
This now 21-page thread opened on September 9 with the following information:

The search is on for Gary Patton who was last seen at Jardines Hotel (San Quintin) on Sept.3rd and 4th and indicated to staff there that he might be returning that Sunday.

Nothing has changed. The search continues—this family needs help and results. We will continue to assist in whatever ways we can.

Sept. 10, actually, but who said this? I know Blanca put up the post, but who actually said this? Where did this info originate?
This, I don't believe, is confirmation of anything.

Blanca....anything to add here?

DENNIS - 10-5-2013 at 07:28 PM

Can anyone in the SQ area get over to the Jardines Hotel with Gary's foto and get some current, unquestionable info?

BajaNomad - 10-5-2013 at 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LVPatton
He arrived in SQ at Jardines on Wednesday and checked out Thursday letting them know he planned on returning sunday. Jardines confirmed.

The Wednesday referred to is Sept 4th, and Thursday is Sept 5th.

[Edited on 10-6-2013 by BajaNomad]

24baja - 10-6-2013 at 07:04 AM

We took the trip to Gecko yesterday south of Bahia de los Angeles and did not see Gary or his vehicle. Will keep eyes open.

redmesa - 10-6-2013 at 08:44 AM

Have there now been 2 confirmed sightings: Jardines - September 5 and Rosarita--about 10 days ago. ?

These are true sightings confirmed by photos and the family?

BajaBlanca - 10-6-2013 at 12:42 PM

These are 2 confirmed sightings according to the family. The Jardines hotel at the beginning of Sept and the recent sighting in Rosarito by tallartist.

The family members who are in touch with me are sister,brother,niece and ex-wife of Gary. Right now they are celebrating a wedding, one they expected Gary to attend and he isn't, so news will be scarce this weekend.

lizard lips - 10-6-2013 at 08:09 PM

As far as "Confirmed" is concerned the only real information we have is on the fourth and fifth of September at the hotel. With Gretchen's possible contact is NOT confirmed. I always deal in fact so this puts us back to early September. Wishful thinking is not fact or confirmed.

We can only hope for the best at this point.

Yellowtail_Fever - 10-7-2013 at 03:10 PM

I'll be praying for the family and for Gary. Unfortunately, I know how hard this is. My wife has been missing since July 18 (not in Mexico but in CA). It is the most difficult thing I have been through in life and I still have no answers. My 11 year old needs for his mom to come home. I've seen how fast the volunteers trail off and interest fades where there is so little to go on. Hang in there. Many of these people are found. Keep your eyes open and maybe something will happen that leads to him. And if you are in the US and you are NOT being prosecuted for your loved one going missing...count yourself very lucky.

YF

Marla Daily - 10-7-2013 at 03:38 PM

Thank you for your heartfelt post. You more than anyone on this board can understand what Patton family members are going through. That is a very useful article posted on your Facebook page the Patton family might want to read. Every little bit helps.

https://www.facebook.com/SearchForPriscillaDelzell

http://peace4missing.ning.com/forum/topics/what-every-family...

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/missing-woman-mojave...

SoCalPattonCrew - 10-7-2013 at 07:26 PM

Thank you Marla for the links. I have registered Gary with the Dept. of Justice National Missing Persons System. We appreciate every possible resource on the web. We are also thankful to BajaDixon and their off road travel group that will searching the area off San Quintin this weekend during their rally.

BajaBlanca - 10-8-2013 at 08:44 AM

Marla, those links are very informative. So sad to read the Mrs. Delzell story. Of all the many points mentioned on this forum re the search for Gary, the one that most makes sense to me is to be sure we have a cosigner on our accounts. The you can see where withdrawals have been made since this is not allowed to be made public, and rightly so, unless you have access to the account.

Bubba - 10-9-2013 at 01:08 PM

Any updates on this? I've been following it for over a month, what's going on?

DENNIS - 10-9-2013 at 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bubba
Any updates on this? I've been following it for over a month, what's going on?

Probably not much or we would have heard.

monoloco - 10-9-2013 at 04:43 PM

I have the feeling that if he hasn't surfaced by now, he has either met his demise or doesn't want to be found.

DENNIS - 10-9-2013 at 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
I have the feeling that if he hasn't surfaced by now, he has either met his demise or doesn't want to be found.

He doesn't seem like the type who would sink into a monastery, or a cave.
The alternative is sad, but true.

Mula - 10-9-2013 at 04:57 PM

Been feeling like "monoloco" does - for several days now.

BajaBlanca - 10-10-2013 at 06:25 AM

Family update:

Dear Blanca,
Would you help me post this please? Wedding went on beautifully, just with many tears.

Thought we might review Gary's favorite places (for your folks on-route) as we've still not heard anything from or about Gary since the Rosarito sighting from Gretchen :)!

Confirmed, last known communication and location:
* San Quintin (his first night's stay @ Hotel Jardinis 9/4-5th ); this matches Gary's trip plan

Sightings since family reported Gary missing 9/10:
* Punta Abreojos fishing tournament 9/9 or 9/15 - vehicle spotting only, unconfirmed
* La Chorera beach (woman resident reported spotting vehicle only (9/16&17th)
* Bahia de Los Angeles (couple reported spotting vehicle when they were there (9/22)
* Rosarito Beach (woman ID'd photo, reported having a conversation w/Gary ~ 9/10 - 9/26)

List of Baja areas Gary's known to visit in the past:
Bahia de Los Angeles (whale sharks)
Punta Baja Vizcaino loop Bahia Asuncion Guerrero Negro (winter)
San Hipolito La Bocana Punta Abreojos
Estero el Coyote La Bufadora
Surfing Beach sites south of Tijuana might also be possible:
* "Shipwrecks"
* Sausipedous
* Todas Santos
Gary might hire fishing boats, fish from shore (but did not take fishing gear this time). He definitely took surf and boagie boards (with fins and wetsuit boards inside the vehicle), and he would camp nearby beach in a tent with gear and vehicle close by. Frequently, carries a camera. Typically will book hotel only in rain, wind, cold, or last nite before coming home.

Besides Pemex stations, Gary may go to pharmacies, for motrin and to call home from pay phone. Oftentimes in the past, those phones are cumbersome or can't get thru. Appreciate posting flyer in those stores as well, please, and share with workers.

Vehicle: 2002 Silver Toyota 4Runner w/black roof racks Calif License 4VUZ 284

Thank you once again for remaining vigilant on our behalf ------
Kimberly Patton

shari - 10-10-2013 at 07:51 AM

Poor Gretchen, who apparently talked to Gary, has had a rough time of it...here is a story about her in a blog. What a horrific tragedy in Rosarito.
http://stacytaylor.com/category/mar-tejada/

my heart goes out to Mar's family & friends and Gretchen.

Ateo - 10-10-2013 at 08:11 AM

Thanks for the update Blanca and thanks for the link Shari. The story of Mar's death was just plain sad -- all aspects of it. Lives destroyed.

Bubba - 10-10-2013 at 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mula
Been feeling like "monoloco" does - for several days now.

Me too, I just didn't want to offend anybody but I still hope for a positive outcome.

sancho - 10-10-2013 at 10:33 AM

Not to detract from this threads purpose, but Shari's
post about the woman living in Rosarito gives a
glimpse into a part of Mex I don't want to run across,
76 hrs. in jail? A surfing territory dispute?

DENNIS - 10-10-2013 at 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
Not to detract from this threads purpose, but Shari's
post about the woman living in Rosarito gives a
glimpse into a part of Mex I don't want to run across,
76 hrs. in jail? A surfing territory dispute?

That woman seems to have a knack for finding the pulse of noteworthy current events. :?:

motoged - 10-10-2013 at 11:09 AM

Dennis,
Cut this woman some slack...:light:

durrelllrobert - 10-10-2013 at 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Poor Gretchen, who apparently talked to Gary, has had a rough time of it...here is a story about her in a blog. What a horrific tragedy in Rosarito.

Wow! Unfortunately that story reinforces the idea that one should never get involved in anything related to a police activity down here.

mtgoat666 - 10-10-2013 at 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Quote:
Originally posted by shari

Wow! Unfortunately that story reinforces the idea that one should never get involved in anything related to a police activity down here.

rosarito is not typical of baja,... thankfully!

shari - 10-10-2013 at 02:21 PM

you know...sometimes ya just do what ya gotta do and not run away...imagine if you were there and that happened in front of you..what would YOU do? Sounds like Gretchen was super pi$$ed off and frustrated and rightfully so...but yes, the lesson is not to freak out on the cops.

BajaLuna - 10-10-2013 at 02:49 PM

Exactly, Shari!

When I first heard of Gretchen's experience in Rosarito, although tragic and I'm sure veryyyy traumatic (my heart goes out to her), the first thing that came to my mind was how she is an angel, she was there for this man, held his spirit, and she was there for Gary too, having not only an encounter with Gary but also being able to give his family hope because she brushed paths on this whirling ball of electrons we call earth with a man that his family needed some kind of sign that he was ok.

Gretchen IS a helper, and happens to be for whatever reason put in places to help people! I hope once she recovers and heals from this latest experience that she will be able to see that.

I wish healing for Mar's family and Gretchen too.

But wow....Cynical, negative people, UGH!

jureal - 10-10-2013 at 03:39 PM

Bajaluna.....where is the like button...

CaboMagic - 10-10-2013 at 07:31 PM

Checking in for updates .. sad there isn't anything .. still thinking good thoughts for a good outcome here .. peace.

DENNIS - 10-10-2013 at 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboMagic
Checking in for updates .. sad there isn't anything .. still thinking good thoughts for a good outcome here .. peace.

Keep thinking. It can't hurt.

BajaLuna - 10-10-2013 at 08:32 PM

Keep hope alive, Patton Family!

SoCalPattonCrew - 10-11-2013 at 11:15 AM

Thank you again to "Baja Dixon" for keeping a look-out for Gary and his vehicle this weekend while you are traveling the backroads between San Quintin and Catavina. Our family is so thankful for your efforts and concerns.

BajaBlanca - 10-11-2013 at 06:17 PM

You can assure any of your site folks asking that the Mexican Tourismo and Embassy has checked and double-checked whether Gary's been sighted anywhere near these incidents, in any jails or hospitals, and HE HAS NOT.

Thank you for your help, again!
Kimberly

Marla Daily - 10-11-2013 at 06:30 PM

We are en route north —Loreto to El Rosario today. We asked at the military checkpoints between the two cities if they knew of the missing gringo, Gary Patton, and were looking for his vehicle.
None of them had heard of his disappearance.

They write down all license plates of northbound vehicles.

BajaDixon - 10-11-2013 at 06:45 PM

So far I have searched San Jacinto, which is a small compound of homes next to the shipwreck, Rick and Maria's bed and breakfast, which is next door to this compound, Pirates Cove restaurant, which is just outside Camalu, Costa Brava, which is near Vincente Guerrero, and about 25 miles of coastline around of these areas.

What was disturbing was that I've yet to find anyone who has even heard of Gary or his disappearance! The people I have talked with are very familiar with comings and goings in their respective areas.

Tomorrow I'll head down and talk with the owner of Jardines hotel and then start travelling south towards Catavina.

DENNIS - 10-11-2013 at 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaDixon
Tomorrow I'll head down and talk with the owner of Jardines hotel and then start travelling south towards Catavina.

Good....See if you can follow up or verify this:
-----------------------------

"He arrived in SQ at Jardines on Wednesday and checked out Thursday letting them know he planned on returning sunday. Jardines confirmed. Jardines or someone got the notion he may go to BDLA to see whale sharks. Wouldn't surprise me but still should have been back sunday. "

David K - 10-12-2013 at 07:38 AM

Quote:
So far I have searched San Jacinto, which is a small compound of homes next to the shipwreck, Rick and Maria's bed and breakfast, which is next door to this compound, Pirates Cove restaurant, which is just outside Camalu, Costa Brava, which is near Vincente Guerrero, and about 25 miles of coastline around of these areas.

What was disturbing was that I've yet to find anyone who has even heard of Gary or his disappearance! The people I have talked with are very familiar with comings and goings in their respective areas.

Perhaps we need to make flyers for Baja Nomad?

Howard - 10-12-2013 at 09:40 AM

I will be spending tomorrow,Sunday night, at Jardines and will see what, if anything, is happening as far as the latest information from there.

Looking forward to the stuffed shrimp next store.

absinvestor - 10-12-2013 at 09:59 AM

Marla and BajaDixon- this is not good. About 4 years ago a dog (Pickles) was lost after a car accident. We were making a trip from Tecate to Cabo and planned not only to look for "pickles" but to put up flyers. We stopped at remote Ejidos, restaurants, motels, pemex's etc etc. Everywhere we went there were flyers- even in off highway places. The military checkpoints knew of the missing dog and the reward that was being offered. It is hard to imagine that after this amount of time there are not flyers everywhere????????

DENNIS - 10-12-2013 at 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by absinvestor
It is hard to imagine that after this amount of time there are not flyers everywhere????????

I thought there were???

BajaBlanca - 10-12-2013 at 11:09 AM

We put up 8 flyers between San Quintin and Vizcaino at gas stations and at the Catavina hotel as well as gave one to the checkpoints.

absinvestor - 10-12-2013 at 11:17 AM

Hi Dennis- I might have misinterpreted the Marla and BajaDixon posts but since they both indicated that many people that they talked to were not aware that Gary was missing I assumed that they didn't see flyers. I may be mistaken. What I do know is that when I traveled south, not long after Pickles had been reported missing, virtually everywhere I went there was a flyer and even the military and out of the way ejidos were aware of the missing dog. I took 100 flyers with me and didn't find a handful of places that didn't already have one. That doesn't seem to be the case with missing Gary.

DENNIS - 10-12-2013 at 11:23 AM

People here can be very reluctant to get at all involved with missing persons. They just don't know who may be involved.

elgatoloco - 10-12-2013 at 02:41 PM

Quote:
People here can be very reluctant to get at all involved with missing persons. They just don't know who may be involved.

True that. Sad, but true. Self preservation is instinct. Hope Gary turns up safe.

Marla Daily - 10-12-2013 at 07:56 PM

OK. We're back north of the border. We saw one and only one Gary Patton-missing poster on our drive to Loreto and back—at the ex-La Pinta Hotel in Cataviña. Nothing at any gas station where we stopped. Not even in the El Rosario gas station next to Baja Cactus. We asked at EVERY checkpoint between Loreto and the border. No one had heard of Gary Patton or his missing silver Toyota 4-runner. Our last ask was at the Tecate border crossing this afternoon. The man in the immigration booth who looked at our passports for re-entry had not heard of the missing Gary Patton. I was surprised and saddened. He did add that maybe the license plate was in the computer for an alert, but he couldn't verify it. He just said it might be. That's all he could offer.

EnsenadaDr - 10-13-2013 at 08:45 AM

I believe someone mentioned he was a talker earlier in the thread. Has anyone called TallArtist and asked her more in detail? Between Gary and the Lifeguard incident, Sandra Dibbell may be interested in interviewing her as well.
Quote:
Tallartist. I have given your contact info to the family! Thanks so much, if he talked your ear off, that really was GARY!

EnsenadaDr - 10-13-2013 at 08:49 AM

I think that more questions need to be asked of the hotel in San Quintin where he last was staying. Maybe he mentioned where he was going, who he was with the night before, etc. etc.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by absinvestor
It is hard to imagine that after this amount of time there are not flyers everywhere????????

I thought there were???

BajaDixon - 10-13-2013 at 06:47 PM

I was at Jardines yesterday and had conversations with ownership, management,
and patrons who had talked with Gary when he was at the bar. It was confirmed by the receptionist that he was there the 1st week of Sept. He had told them he was returning in a few days to stay even longer.

Ownership spent about 1/2 hour making phone calls to anyone they thought might have any info. A local gringo remembered talking with him at the bar. It appears that Gary was a very regular Joe. He just doesn't really stick out of a crowd.

I'm having a local friend make flyers and I'm going to start spreading them around. There are just not enough people that know about his disappearance. I'm also surprised by how few people I'm talking with read this forum. Outside of the folks at Jardines I haven't talked with anyone who is aware of this situation.

I travelled to Catavina last night and returned via dirt roads today. No luck. Tuesday I'll check more surf spots within a 50 mile radius of Jardines. Given my conversation with the people at Jardines I'm suspecting he didn't wander far and I know of some very special spots in this area that I haven't searched yet.

To the family- I'll keep the candle burning on my end while I'm in Baja, which is the balance of this month. One never knows what might develop.

SoCalPattonCrew - 10-13-2013 at 07:39 PM

To Baja Dixon, we can not thank you enough for your amazing endeavor for our brother, Dad, Uncle and friend to many. When I read your post, it appeared you were looking for your long lost friend or family member, yet you are doing this for our family and we have not even met. How can we possibly extend our deepest appreciation to you and all you have done and even promised to do until the end of this month. Please know we are eternally grateful to you. The Patton Family

DavidE - 10-14-2013 at 10:38 AM

TIP

Posts with

SE BUSCA GRAN RECOMPENSA PARA INFORMACION

and the individual's image nailed to walls bulletin boards and other community places has a thousand times better chance at getting results. One time I lost a wallet with no money inside at a comerical mexicana. A 2-week long regular poster yielded zero. A change to a 500 peso reward (recompensa) had the wallet with DL and Medicare Card back in my pocket in 2 days.

DENNIS - 10-14-2013 at 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
TIP

Posts with

SE BUSCA GRAN RECOMPENSA PARA INFORMACION

and the individual's image nailed to walls bulletin boards and other community places has a thousand times better chance at getting results.

It's been suggested and went nowhere.

rayfornario - 10-15-2013 at 08:27 AM

Why hasn't this been mentioned on any of the TV news stations????????????? It couldn't hurt.

DENNIS - 10-15-2013 at 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rayfornario
Why hasn't this been mentioned on any of the TV news stations????????????? It couldn't hurt.

Perhaps due to the media's capitulation to the Mexico tourism concerns. Bad news hurts tourism and this situation has certainly deteriorated to "bad news" since the inevitable assumption isn't pretty and defies Hope.

tripledigitken - 10-15-2013 at 09:13 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by rayfornario

Perhaps due to the media's capitulation to the Mexico tourism concerns. Bad news hurts tourism and this situation has certainly deteriorated to "bad news" since the inevitable assumption isn't pretty and defies Hope.

I would wager that is why an ad has not appeared in Western Onion.

Ken

DENNIS - 10-15-2013 at 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken

I would wager that is why an ad has not appeared in Western Onion.

Ken

Or The Gringo Gazette.......I'm guessing. These would be good publications in which to put up a poster.

comitan - 10-15-2013 at 09:44 AM

Gringo Gazette Oct. 7, Page 13 complete with all info and his picture and vehicle.

DENNIS - 10-15-2013 at 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Gringo Gazette Oct. 7, Page 13 complete with all info and his picture and vehicle.

That's good to hear. Thanks, Wiley.

BajaDixon - 10-15-2013 at 07:43 PM

Rode up to Quatro Casas on dirt roads ( a surf camp and alternative housing compound near where they were planning the big commercial port) and asked around. No sightings of Gary. I put posters up at several fish and surf camps on the way up. This place is about 50 miles north of Jardines Hotel.

Once again, no one that I talked with today has heard of Gary or his disappearance. Everyone is very interested though and would like to help. I need to run to Cali tomorrow but I'll return Thursday night and continue searching Friday.

Somebody somewhere knows what we are all looking to discover. I just haven't figured out how to flush that info out. As long as I'm in Baja I'll keep trying to get some sort of answer to this puzzle.

EnsenadaDr - 10-15-2013 at 07:59 PM

cant you track the last use of his cell phone?

DianaT - 10-15-2013 at 08:02 PM

Quote:
Rode up to Quatro Casas on dirt roads ( a surf camp and alternative housing compound near where they were planning the big commercial port) and asked around. No sightings of Gary. I put posters up at several fish and surf camps on the way up. This place is about 50 miles north of Jardines Hotel.

Once again, no one that I talked with today has heard of Gary or his disappearance. Everyone is very interested though and would like to help. I need to run to Cali tomorrow but I'll return Thursday night and continue searching Friday.

Somebody somewhere knows what we are all looking to discover. I just haven't figured out how to flush that info out. As long as I'm in Baja I'll keep trying to get some sort of answer to this puzzle.

Bob,
Yes, someone somewhere has some answers. Best of luck to you in helping to find those answers.

tripledigitken - 10-15-2013 at 08:11 PM

Good to hear the ad got placed in the GG.

BajaNomad - 10-15-2013 at 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca (on Oct 2, 2013)

Here is an update from the family:

4) Cell phone companies will not tell me anything even though I am the account holder (same privacy BS), not without a court order and that will take 3 weeks; their are no call records since the day he left here; he doesn't text and he does not have a smartphone. He typically would call home from a pharmacy or landline down there.

Kim & Elliott Patton

bajaguy - 10-15-2013 at 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Quote:

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca (on Oct 2, 2013)

Here is an update from the family:

4) Cell phone companies will not tell me anything even though I am the account holder (same privacy BS), not without a court order and that will take 3 weeks; their are no call records since the day he left here; he doesn't text and he does not have a smartphone. He typically would call home from a pharmacy or landline down there.

Kim & Elliott Patton

Based on my experience working criminal cases, missing person cases and aircraft crash SAR missions, law enforcement can serve an administrative subpoena on the cell phone company and obtain the records within a day. In some cases, in an "immediate emergency" cell phone companies will provide the information immediately and then wait for the administrative subpoena.

Also at the request of law enforcement in an imediate emergency situation, if the cell phone is on, cell phone companies can "ping" the cell phone and obtain a general geographic location, or do a last grographic location check based on the last cell tower the phone was in range of.

[Edited on 10-16-2013 by bajaguy]

EnsenadaDr - 10-17-2013 at 04:39 PM

I met a very nice couple in the Ensenada immigration office who were trying to replace their old but valid FM2 booklets. Evidently immigration said their visas were valid but they were so old that they were falling apart and they tried to open a Mexican bank account and the bank said they weren't valid. Immigration told them that probably no one has seen them because they were so old. Anyway, the man lives in San Quintin and said he knows the owner of Jardines Hotel in San Quintin. I told him to check our board for the thread, he said he would check our board and check with the owner of the hotel and keep his eyes open.

[Edited on 10-17-2013 by EnsenadaDr]

Gary Patton's camera info

SoCalPattonCrew - 10-17-2013 at 07:49 PM

EnsenadaDr,
Thank you for your recent efforts. All assistance is much appreciated...

If anyone sees anyone trying to peddle a Canon camera and lens, below is a description of Gary's gear.
I included ebay links for images, and going prices.
Again, many thanks to everyone.
Mel,
The Patton family

Canon 60-D, camera body
Serial #0520309373
ebay info:
http://tinyurl.com/k4c78yg
$600 to $1,000

Canon lens, EF-S 55-250mm
Serial # #7112558532
ebay info:
http://tinyurl.com/m8blqln
$130 to $200

Canon Lens, EF-S 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS
Serial #7142512064
ebay info:
http://tinyurl.com/kny3lvy
$225 to $300

lizard lips - 10-18-2013 at 05:35 AM

Patton Crew. You guys must be going crazy and I really feel your pain. Just remember it's not over till it's over. My faith that he is still with us is alive and I hope he just found peace somewhere and wants to enjoy it as long as he can.

I am continuing to contact those that have the resources to get the word out so please everyone print up some flyers if you are going to the store or gas station or really anywhere where it can be seen.

mcfez - 10-18-2013 at 05:56 AM

Most positive help you are lizard lips. If I got lost...hopefully my family would seek your advice.

Should this Patton family hire a private investigator to search out Gary Patton? Seems to me that would clarify/streamline information and perhaps find him.

Quote:
Originally posted by lizard lips
Patton Crew. You guys must be going crazy and I really feel your pain. Just remember it's not over till it's over. My faith that he is still with us is alive and I hope he just found peace somewhere and wants to enjoy it as long as he can.

I am continuing to contact those that have the resources to get the word out so please everyone print up some flyers if you are going to the store or gas station or really anywhere where it can be seen.

wilderone - 10-18-2013 at 07:48 AM

If I could just add a thought - those in Baja, while traveling/searching - I think you need to get out of the car and look over some of the more precipitous cliffs, sharp curves with dropoffs, etc - really easy to go over the side, and car would absolutely not be seen just driving along on Mex. 1. I know you can't readily just park your car in these places either - need to walk back and take a good look. You know what it's like when a big rig comes around a blind curve crossing the median line - coulda happened.
God bless Gary, the family and all those searching.

BajaBlanca - 10-18-2013 at 08:14 AM

Using the cell phone to locate Gary seems like a great idea. Someone wrote that even if he doesnt have it on, it should still work. How about if the battery is depleted? Would it still work?

Griffin - 10-18-2013 at 08:57 AM

The phone company may be able to tell the family where the phone was the last time it had a signal, but if it is off or the battery is dead there is definitely no way for them to know where it is.

bajaguy - 10-18-2013 at 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Griffin
The phone company may be able to tell the family where the phone was the last time it had a signal,..........

The cellular service provider will tell law enforcement, NOT the family.

SoCalPattonCrew - 10-18-2013 at 10:28 AM

Contacted our local law enforcement for update on cell phone info. and bank activity.
[Edited on 10-18-2013 by SoCalPattonCrew]

[Edited on 10-18-2013 by SoCalPattonCrew]

SoCalPattonCrew - 10-18-2013 at 11:09 AM

Our local Police indicate info. they received from Verizon shows no activity on Gary's cell phone since Sept. 3rd. His bank account still has not shown any withdrawals.

MMc - 10-18-2013 at 11:15 AM

I hope he turns up. He has been MIA for quite awhile. Got to admire the family for keeping it here.

bajaguy - 10-18-2013 at 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCalPattonCrew
We have made requests to our local law enforcement agency for cell phone information. They indicated it requires a court subpoena and they did not have enough grounds to go on for the subpoena. Today I made the request again since the time Gary has been missing should be crucial, I am waiting for their response. They were advised the Mexico cell towers are owned by Telmex.

Ask the detective to contact the US National Central Bureau (INTERPOL) in Washington, DC through the California State (INTERPOL) Liaison Office located within the California Department of Justice.

The detective should ask them to contact the Mexico INTERPOL office to help get the Mexican phone records (if needed) and also have the detective request the issuance of an INTERPOL Yellow Notice (missing person) and a Black Notice (Unidentified Deceased).

SoCalPattonCrew - 10-18-2013 at 04:43 PM

Below from Kim Patton, working from memory and with her son, Elliott, who has
traveled with his Father, Gary to some of these areas.
I know this is a LOT of places, but at this point who knows. . .
Please note, VEHICLE IS 2 WHEEL DRIVE, something not mentioned early on. This "should" restrict travel to some places.
Mel

Confirmed, last known communication and location:
* San Quintin (his first night's stay @ Hotel Jardinis 9/4-5th ); this matches Gary's trip plan

Sightings since family reported Gary missing 9/10:
* Punta Abreojos fishing tournament 9/9 or 9/15 - vehicle spotting only, unconfirmed
* La Chorera beach (woman resident reported spotting vehicle only (9/16&17th)
* Bahia de Los Angeles (couple reported spotting vehicle when they were there (9/22)
* Rosarito Beach (woman ID'd photo, reported having a conversation w/Gary ~ 9/10 - 9/26)

List of Baja areas Gary's known to visit in the past:
Bahia de Los Angeles (see or photo whale sharks)
Punta Baja El Rosario Bahia Asuncion Guerrero Negro (winter whale watching)
San Hipolito La Bacana Catavinia Punta Abreojos
Estero el Coyote La Bufadora Puerto Catarina Punta Camacho
Bahia del Rosario Bahia Tortugas Vizcaino loop Off-shore islands to fish
Surfing Beach sites south of Tijuana might also be possible but less likely cause he would've been back-tracking from SanQuintin, unless he went to rent a house on the beach for a while:
* "Shipwrecks"
* Sausipedous
* Todas Santos
* Hotel La Fonda
* Missions (I don't know where these are --he'd go to take pictures)
Gary might hire fishing boats, fish from shore (but did not take fishing gear this time). He definitely took surf and boogie boards with fins​, all carried inside the vehicle. He would camp nearby beaches in a tent with gear and vehicle close by. Frequently, carries a Canon D-60 camera. Typically will book hotel only in rain, wind, cold, or last night before coming home.

Besides Pemex stations, Gary may go to pharmacies, for ​M​otrin or to call home from pay phone. Often​ ​times in the past, those phones were ​e​rratic in getting through​ to U.S.. Appreciate posting flyer in those stores as well, please, and share with workers.

Vehicle: 2002 Silver Toyota 4​-​Runner w/black roof racks ​
2-wheel drive, ​ Calif License 4VUZ 284

Thank you once again for your vigilance on our behalf ------
Kimberly Patton

BajaBlanca - 10-18-2013 at 05:10 PM

Blanca, how are you? Would you mind putting this up on the nomad site?

Again, based on advice here about Interpol, our law enforcement re Baja cell phone usage, says once again, this effort is futile. I went over contacting Interpol etc.with our U.S. detective, and there is no data to be had. A factor I hadn't considered is that the cell phone companies have sold off their cell sites, and especially in Mexico, each tower or group of towers is owned by various different persons or company. And due to data storage constraints and maintenance cost, they don't keep records of inactivity, or pinging, and certainly not unbilleable calls. Local calls are unbilleable calls just like incomplete calls are unbilleable. These records are not retained, and cell phone companies don't want those call records or call attempts. A long distance,international call, must be allowed and no steps were taken by us to verify that before Gary left here. Also, as I said before, because there are few cell towers in all of Baja, since they do not have nearly the traffic, population nor obstructions we do here (there was 1 site in 2006), even if there was record of a ping, it would be the site nearest SanQuintin which wouldn't tell us much as to where he is, cause the site covers a radius of 100's miles. Cell sites are also not named by city or location but by a code, so then we need someone to tell us where it is, which is highly confidential information.

If your nomad can provide a phone number for the Mexican Interpol office,I'd be happy to try it myself, but I made dozens of calls directly to various carriers to no avail, quite frustrating and costly.

RE question: No, the phone does not ping when turned off (same no-ping if battery is dead). If it's out of range of any cell sites, no record of ping exists even if the phone is on and pinging (this is when the phone would show "No Signal" or no bars).

To clarify again, the U.S. Embassy has confirmed with me several times they've NEVER been able to get ANY info on cell phone usage out of Telmex or any other Mexican carrier, especially when it is an American number. Our U.S. detective says he also frequently has inadequate information from all cell phone carriers as to precise location of call originations.

Kimberly Patton

Justbozo - 10-18-2013 at 05:52 PM

I thought I saw early in this thread that one of the Patton family is on Garys' cell phone account and that he has Verizon service. They have a data service called Family Locator. It may be worth checking into. Here is the link.

http://support.verizonwireless.com/support/features/data_ser...

SoCalPattonCrew - 10-18-2013 at 08:12 PM

I should have mentioned one of Gary's favorite stops is Mama Esponoza's. For certain he would have stopped there if passing.

"Justbozo" Thanks for thought, but he doesn't have that feature.I'm not certain that's available on his dumb phone. Excellent idea though.

"Lencho". I'll have to check with her, and get back to you

Thanks everyone....
Mel

Marla Daily - 10-18-2013 at 08:35 PM

Sorry to say there were no posters of Gary up at Mama Espinosa's when we ate there last Friday night (Oct. 12.) No one at Baja Cactus desk or the gas station at El Rosario (same date) was aware of the missing gringo, Gary Patton. We asked and looked for posters.

Did the family stop there when they drove to Guerrero Negro and back? Talk to anyone?

bajaguy - 10-18-2013 at 09:31 PM

Quote:
Blanca, how are you? Would you mind putting this up on the nomad site?

Again, based on advice here about Interpol, our law enforcement re Baja cell phone usage, says once again, this effort is futile. I went over contacting Interpol etc.with our U.S. detective, and there is no data to be had. A factor I hadn't considered is that the cell phone companies have sold off their cell sites, and especially in Mexico, each tower or group of towers is owned by various different persons or company. And due to data storage constraints and maintenance cost, they don't keep records of inactivity, or pinging, and certainly not unbilleable calls. Local calls are unbilleable calls just like incomplete calls are unbilleable. These records are not retained, and cell phone companies don't want those call records or call attempts. A long distance,international call, must be allowed and no steps were taken by us to verify that before Gary left here. Also, as I said before, because there are few cell towers in all of Baja, since they do not have nearly the traffic, population nor obstructions we do here (there was 1 site in 2006), even if there was record of a ping, it would be the site nearest SanQuintin which wouldn't tell us much as to where he is, cause the site covers a radius of 100's miles. Cell sites are also not named by city or location but by a code, so then we need someone to tell us where it is, which is highly confidential information.

If your nomad can provide a phone number for the Mexican Interpol office,I'd be happy to try it myself, but I made dozens of calls directly to various carriers to no avail, quite frustrating and costly.

RE question: No, the phone does not ping when turned off (same no-ping if battery is dead). If it's out of range of any cell sites, no record of ping exists even if the phone is on and pinging (this is when the phone would show "No Signal" or no bars).

To clarify again, the U.S. Embassy has confirmed with me several times they've NEVER been able to get ANY info on cell phone usage out of Telmex or any other Mexican carrier, especially when it is an American number. Our U.S. detective says he also frequently has inadequate information from all cell phone carriers as to precise location of call originations.

Kimberly Patton

Kim..........

".......Again, based on advice here about Interpol, our law enforcement re Baja cell phone usage, says once again, this effort is futile. I went over contacting Interpol etc.with our U.S. detective, and there is no data to be had."

Really?????.....did he try in this case?? That is an unacceptable answer from the detective. Does he have any experience working with INTERPOL or the USNCB??

INTERPOL is an investigative resource. The detective should be using it. It doesn't cost anything. I would make noise at his agency until he submits the request. The US Embassy or Consulate is not an investigative agency, they are a bunch of clerks.

....."If your nomad can provide a phone number for the Mexican Interpol office,I'd be happy to try it myself, but I made dozens of calls directly to various carriers to no avail, quite frustrating and costly."

Individual citizens cannot access INTERPOL, requests for assistance must come from a law enforcement agency.

I have several years experience working with INTERPOL, the State Liaison Program and the USNCB and have obtained results and case follow-up from the Mexican Federal Police

Did the detective say he would request an INTERPOL Yellow Notice?????......if not, ask him to do it.

[Edited on 10-19-2013 by bajaguy]

redmesa - 10-18-2013 at 09:42 PM

It really sounds like they need help with this. Maybe you, Bajaguy, could give them a name of someone that could intervene on their behalf. It is very hard for us civilians to get past a Police blocker. Just like in the medical world sometimes you really need an advocate. At this time, Gary has chosen to be unavailable or something very serious has happened to him.

EnsenadaDr - 10-19-2013 at 12:30 AM

A Lo-Jack should be a criteria for everyone traveling in Baja!!

DENNIS - 10-19-2013 at 06:58 AM

Quote:

When I bought my Jeep in san Diego, the dealer said there would be no sense in getting it installed since it's useless in Mexico.

bajaguy - 10-19-2013 at 07:14 AM

Quote:
Quote:

When I bought my Jeep in san Diego, the dealer said there would be no sense in getting it installed since it's useless in Mexico.

Lo-Jack has a presence in Mexico, however it is technology heavy and requires special equipment in police cars to receive the Lo-Jack radio signal. There are also computer requirements for the law enforcement agency.

Lo-Jack has installed the equipment in a few locations. The police in Tijuana work closely with the CHP Border Unit and have recovered stolen cars equipped with Lo-Jack.

Lo-Jack is also working with some Mexican agencies and paying a "bounty" for recovered vehicles.

SPOT offers real-time tracking you can see on your computer......but SPOT or Lo-jack are dependent on someone wanting to use them.

EnsenadaDr - 10-19-2013 at 07:56 AM

http://www.lojack.com/LoJack-International/Global-Presence

DENNIS - 10-19-2013 at 08:00 AM

I think some of you are expecting hi-tech quality in a low-tech environment.

EnsenadaDr - 10-19-2013 at 08:08 AM

Come on Dennis, you are using high speed internet on your Cliffside home in Mexico...couldn't get much more high tech than that!!

BajaBlanca - 10-19-2013 at 08:18 AM

Would you add this clarification to the recent question about Family locator:

Re Family Locator functionality, because it is something you have to activate from using the phone itself (and pay for like a feature), that service is of no help to us. There is also no confirmation that it would work in Mexico because Gary is not using a smartphone, doesn't text nor email, and he wouldn't even be able to check his own voicemail if the service isn't allowing calls-to-U.S. Trust me -- I've been exhausting this avenue from the beginning, there is no information as to whereabouts or activity that'll come from the cell phone until he crosses U.S. border.
Kimberly Patton

shari - 10-19-2013 at 08:22 AM

the best tech in this case would be to have flyers everywhere...especially in the places he is known to frequent.... which it appears they are definitely not.

I suggest either the family send someone down to do that or have someone already in baja do the job which includes talking to locals in every place they ask to put up flyers. You really have to personally put them up not just leave them with someone.

absinvestor - 10-19-2013 at 08:39 AM

Shari is correct. I repeat that when the dog Pickles was lost near SQ( in a car wreck) I personally printed 100 flyers and planned to post them on our motorhome trip all the way from Tecate to Cabo. I went to out of the way places ie off road ejidos and most restaurants and pemex stations. The flyers were already everywhere- even in places I would not have imagined. I could have printed a dozen and had some left over. I just can't understand why we haven't had the same success in posting Gary's flyers????

EnsenadaDr - 10-19-2013 at 08:41 AM

I don't know how far San Quintin is from you Shari but it is about 280 miles south of the US/Tijuana border so for me to personally go there at this time with my commitments is not an option.
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  24