BajaNomad

Tropical Storm John

Pages:  1  ..  4    6

Skeet/Loreto - 9-5-2006 at 03:42 AM

Hey Bus:Do you know how to setup a Mass email to the San Diego Area/Officials in Calif. State Govt/San Diego Union.
This Storm and the Devasation is not making the News. Someone wth the Know how needs to Swamp everyone they can!!!
Commodu, La Purmisa. the Mountain People are also at Risk as well as all the People of Mulege
My Prayers are with everyone, May God Bless you all!

In the Past, there was sometime difficulity getting Large amounts of food and Clothing across the Border Anyone have connections with any Border Officials?
How about the Baja Sur Office of Tourism in La Paz The Governor?

Skeet

BellaLoreto - 9-5-2006 at 06:46 AM

FYI ... you can contact news agencies in So. California by email. We'll be returning to Loreto next week from the San Diego area and are anxious for news about Hwy 1 as well as news of home ...

Addresses:
NBC 7/39 News Desk: nbc739desk@nbc.com
Union-Tribune: readersrep@uniontrib.com

BajaNomad - 9-5-2006 at 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
In the Past, there was sometime difficulity getting Large amounts of food and Clothing across the Border Anyone have connections with any Border Officials?
How about the Baja Sur Office of Tourism in La Paz The Governor?
This question has been asked - and can hopefully be addressed in the Helping Storm Victims thread begun by you:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=19078

submarine_dbk - 9-5-2006 at 08:34 AM

As everyone else on this board, we are desparetly concerned for everyone in Mulege. We are so happy to see the numerous relief efforts folks here are undertaking.

We spoke with the US consulate in Tijuana a short while ago and they indicated that they are aware of the situation in Mulege and that personnel had been down the penisula to see the damage. Howver, the women I spoke to also indicated that the MX government had not made any requests for help. Not exactly certain what this means as I was unable to speak to a supervisor at the time. I would suggest that anyone who has a moment call the consulate and inquire about what assistance they can provide in coordinating relief efforts, cutting thru red tape in getting goods imported across the border and perhaps getting our government more involved too. More voices will likely result in more action.

Number of the consulate in TJ is:

(664) 622-7400
From the U.S. 011-52 (664) 622-7400

For our friends down south - know you have so many people working round the clock to get help to you. Hang on and know our thoughts and prayers are with you all.

oxxo - 9-5-2006 at 08:46 AM

I believe these two consulates cover all of Baja California Sur

U.S consulate in Cabo San Lucas 011-52-624-143-3566

Canadian Consulate in San Jose DC 011-52-624-142-4333

PBS inadaquate coverage of "John"

Barry A. - 9-5-2006 at 08:47 AM

On Public Radio this morning, they did talk about "John", but only said that it originated in Mexico as a weak hurricane, and now had dissapated into a tropical depression and was spreading rain throughout west Texas, S. New Mexico, and parts of Arizona, causing problems in the El Paso area---------NOTHING ABOUT ANY DAMAGE IN BAJA CALIFORNIA-----------THE USA NEWS BUREAUS ARE NOT GETTING THE MESSAGE OUT, AT ALL. (Why does this not surprise me????)

David K - 9-5-2006 at 09:21 AM

You noticed that Cabo San Lucas was where all the news came from... because to most (outside of this forum), Cabo IS Baja California... Very sad indeed! Since Cabo wasn't damaged (very much), then 'Baja' wasn't damaged...

There may be another reason for the news not reporting the devistation?: Like when a tornado hit Las Vegas in the early 1960's (and the world received almost no news about it). In other words, no news is good news for the tourism related businesses.

Just some thoughts...

Fortunately, the Internet has become a better feed of news and everyone here uses it!

I hope the best for the rebuilding of Mulege!

Televised Storm Coverage

MrBillM - 9-5-2006 at 09:23 AM

Although frustrating, it has always been the case that the U.S. news media, including PBS, have covered what they feel their domestic audience would be interested in. Early in the Hurricane coverage, the news bureaus, including Fox, had corresspondents on site in La Paz and Cabo relaying back live feeds, but as soon as it became apparent that the Tourists in the major resorts were not in great danger the coverage began to wind down until it was almost nonexistent. It's a familiar pattern that I wouldn't expect to change. The exception in foreign disaster coverage seems to occur when there is catastrophic damage and/or huge loss of life.

bajajudy - 9-5-2006 at 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
You noticed that Cabo San Lucas was where all the news came from... because to most (outside of this forum), Cabo IS Baja California... Very sad indeed! Since Cabo wasn't damaged (very much), then 'Baja' wasn't damaged...

DK
The reason all the news coverage is about Cabo is that it was supposed to hit here and we are the largest populated area in BCS. And whether you like it or not, we are part of Baja.

Last night on the Mexican stations there was coverage of La Paz, Los Barriles, Los Cabos. They commented that the heaviest damage was in Los Barriles and Mulege. So people in Mexico know of the problems in Mulege. Hopefully, they will act swiftly.

Still no road to town. Should be later. They had a breakthrough last night. One of the pipes blew out.

oxxo - 9-5-2006 at 09:52 AM

Bajajudy, how did the Puerto Los Cabos breakwater hold up? Any pictures?

Smells like Hurricane Katrina

FutureBajaRetiree - 9-5-2006 at 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by submarine_dbk
We spoke with the US consulate in Tijuana a short while ago and they indicated that they are aware of the situation in Mulege and that personnel had been down the penisula to see the damage. Howver, the women I spoke to also indicated that the MX government had not made any requests for help.

Reminds me of the US Feds response to Katrina..."nobody called us from the local govt so we didn't know we were needed..." If you recall it took the Feds 5 days to get to the Superdome in New Orleans with basic food and water, even though there was 24/7 coverage on national TV! We don't even have the advantage of news coverage so our battle is going to be even greater!

Keep getting the word out! Keep pushing the government officials! Keep emailing the news outlets! KEEP SPREADING THE WORD!

BTW: Thank you all for getting the word out about the Relief Fund but PLEASE DON'T CALL WELLS FARGO! They can't handle the volume of calls they've received and I didn't use common sense when I posted their TEL # on this site.

Much love,
Linda

CortezExplorers - 9-5-2006 at 11:25 AM

If anyone has seen or heard from Mick or Maria from the Dive Center in town, please let me know - I am pretty sure they are okay, but i fear the worst for maria's house.

thanks-
matthew

bajajudy - 9-5-2006 at 12:13 PM

oxxo
The breakwaters held. We had very little surge.
However the marina filled up. Here is a shot of a couple of boats that they use in the marina.
The golf courses took a beating. Lotsa sand over all the paved roads out in that area.

toneart - 9-5-2006 at 12:27 PM

I'm not clear about The Red Cross. I read here that, when contacted, The Red Cross said they don't operate in Baja. Now I see a Red Cross status report that is completely erroneous. It seems they are really out of the loop. They and the media are really dropping the ball on this. They could be helping to avert an even greater disaster if they would just hurry. :fire:

Katina v. John

MrBillM - 9-5-2006 at 12:36 PM

It is not (and should not) be the responsibility of the U.S. government to supply aid whenever a bad storm occurs somewhere in the third world. The damage cleanup and rescue effort in Baja is well within the capability of the Mexican Government. I'm sure that the U.S. will be willing to supply assistance if requested by Mexico City.

Hook - 9-5-2006 at 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
I'm not clear about The Red Cross. I read here that, when contacted, The Red Cross said they don't operate in Baja. Now I see a Red Cross status report that is completely erroneous. It seems they are really out of the loop. They and the media are really dropping the ball on this. They could be helping to avert an even greater disaster if they would just hurry. :fire:

The Red Cross doesnt operate in Baja?

Then , where did all those coins I dropped in slots in Camalu and other places go? :?:

CaboMagic - 9-5-2006 at 01:10 PM

Hook - the Mexican Cruz Roja which is not part of the USA Red Cross and was fashioned after .. I dont know the specific origins nor where exactly but most collections are truly used for intended collected purpose .. no viable tracking system since all 'factions' in each pueblo etc answers to no one ...

UPDATE: Tommys communications with government tell us they are well aware of the urgency in Mulege and they are working to clear the road from the north so that supplies can be trucked in. They ask for understanding that everything moves at the pace possible. No one is turning their backs.

With all due respect please do not bombard the Consulates with phone calls .. the very last thing Americans (very much dislike the term gringo) ought now do is tell the Mexicans or the Mexican government what or how to do .. Best to do what you can do privately and work in organized groups to get supplies as it is possible to do so where needed ..

On that note we will not at this time accept material donations until we find out what will be required (permisso) to take "quantities" across the border. We gratefully acknowledge and thank those of you who have made monetary donations to the DOS ANGELES Hurrican Relief Project and know we will post updates as often as possible on the status of our efforts.

Lori Garcia and Linda Evans

Mulege cash relief fund

Sharksbaja - 9-5-2006 at 01:13 PM

Mulege cash relief fund

What more can I say....

Road condition

tehag - 9-5-2006 at 01:24 PM

Just came from federal transito office in Nopolo. I was told that highway 1 is open to cars and pickups from Loreto to Sta Rosalia but closed for wider vehicles for at least 24 more hours. No buses, no semis, no trailers, no motorhomes, etc.

As far as Mexican Govt response goes, they are doing what is possible. The army was very involved in cleanup at Loreto until yesteday noon when they packed up and headed north, presumablly to the much more devastated Mulege. Lots of helicopter traffic moving through here. Road work and service restoration are in progress throughout BCS. The President was touring yesterday and must be quite aware of the magnitude of the situation.

toneart - 9-5-2006 at 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Quote:
Originally posted by toneart

The Red Cross doesnt operate in Baja?

Then , where did all those coins I dropped in slots in Camalu and other places go? :?:

I am not stating this as fact. That is what has been posted here by others. Maybe they are differentiating between The American Red Cross and The Red Cross we have all donated to by dropping coins into the cans.

Besides my dismay at The Red Cross' erroneous information and their slow response, my point is:I would rather donate (and I have)directly to some of the relief funds that are being organized here on bajanomad. It should be quicker(not a bureaucracy), and specialized to supplies requested by the victims.

Cincodemayo - 9-5-2006 at 01:30 PM

Just sent an I-Report with a copied picture to CNN's site...we'll see if the Communist News Network has any semblance of humanity.

ChooChoo54 - 9-5-2006 at 02:25 PM

Please...
If at all possible, can we learn about how Juncalito came through? A small group of Americans live there full time. Not a lot of protection for them, particularly if the wind was coming in from the water.

Fred and Rainy are closer to the arroyo than Johnny J, but might be OK. At least we all hope so.

Any reports would be very much appreciated...

BB

roundtuit - 9-5-2006 at 03:20 PM

I sent something to the other one ( Fox News )

Red Cross got a friend out of Baja in 1998

Sonora Wind - 9-5-2006 at 04:38 PM

They are there. They are overwhelmed. They will do what they can. May not be much, but what can you expect from quarters and dimes.:cool: Our Red Cross was about as effective with Katrina. This is truely a crush of Mother Nature. We can all help, just not right this second, the people will help each other until we can get there. They will be the true heros of this sad event.:cool: Heart felt prayers

Storm pics Loreto

tehag - 9-5-2006 at 04:38 PM

Put some storm pics here. Sorry but I can only read the captions by scrolling down on each pic.

http://www.dropshots.com/tehag

elchinero - 9-6-2006 at 02:41 PM

La Purisima-Hwy 1 Road Sunday AM

Spent two nights at K28 before walking to a local's Lobo.

hell of a place to be

panchos3 - 9-6-2006 at 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elchinero
La Purisima-Hwy 1 Road Sunday AM

Spent two nights at K28 before walking to a local's Lobo.

how long was the walk? you didnt know the storm was on its way? where is a map of the 06 baja 1000 route?

bajarich - 9-6-2006 at 07:21 PM

I too am worried about Fred & Rainy in Juncalito, also Ray and Ginger, and Debby. Any word from there?

I'm also thinking about the people in Agua Verde. I'm sure the road has been taken out again. It takes months to get it open again, leaving the people very isolated.

Any more word from Los Frailes and the nice family at Rancho San Antonio?

mike odell - 9-6-2006 at 09:39 PM

la riera reort/ you will have to try to read this as written! I dont need sell check uut this keyord was soaking wet and full of glass until today soe kees dont work at all La Riera took a direct hit lots of daage to houses here If you own one etter try to get here no loss of life very few injuries ostly everyone here is ok water and elec now on cleaning town now
need to get keyord and hard drive sorry all good today here in town
fish hawk ok also

ChooChoo54 - 9-11-2006 at 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajarich
I too am worried about Fred & Rainy in Juncalito, also Ray and Ginger, and Debby. Any word from there?

I'm also thinking about the people in Agua Verde. I'm sure the road has been taken out again. It takes months to get it open again, leaving the people very isolated.

Any more word from Los Frailes and the nice family at Rancho San Antonio?

I got word from my friends who were stranded in the mountains above Loreto when John hit that all is well in Juncalito. Fred & Rainy, Johnny Johnson are OK. They got wet, but no damage.

Good news...

wilderone - 9-11-2006 at 02:06 PM

Cinco - How did Loreto Bay construction and new dwellings take the storm? What are they reporting?
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6